Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,567 members, 7,827,133 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 07:44 AM

Rochas Foundation Pupil Heads To M.I.T. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Rochas Foundation Pupil Heads To M.I.T. (5930 Views)

Kogi Poll: Wada Heads To Court / CCT Trial: Saraki Heads To Supreme Court / Jonathan Visits Mubi, Heads To Baga (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Rochas Foundation Pupil Heads To M.I.T. by picolo01: 11:08am On Aug 13, 2011
The life of Philip Abel looked as if it had been derailed at an early age. He was one of the many Nigerian boys who was forced to drop out of primary school to work as a vendor on the streets.

But then his fortune turned. Through the help of the United States Student Achievers' Program Abel will be attending the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) thanks to a U.S. $150,000 scholarship provided by the university. Before he left Nigeria for his new life Abel talked to AllAfrica's Kylé Pienaar about his journey from street vendor to student at one of the world's most prestigious universities. The interview was edited into a narrative.

I was born in 1992, in Kano state, Nigeria. I am the eldest of five children. My parents are from Kogi state - I am Igala by tribe. We were comfortable. We could afford to eat. We were all in school. I was at the top of my class. I was a big dreamer. I had been a dreamer since I was small.

I lost my father on the 24th of April 2003 when I was 10 years old. That was the beginning of my problems. I felt as if my world had collapsed. I became the head of the family. I was in [fifth grade]. I had to fend for my younger ones.

I dropped out of school. I started selling sachet water on the street. I sold kerosene. I sold groundnuts. Some days we went without food. We had to rely on relatives for clothes. Every day when I sold things on the street I would see children in uniform going to school with their parents. I cried, 'God, why is my story different?'

But then the proprietor of my primary school discovered I dropped out of school. He got very angry. He came to my house. He told me I had to go back to school. My mom told him the kind of conditions we were facing. He decided to take up some of the burden by paying half of my school fees. And that was how I was able to complete my primary education.

When I graduated from primary school I applied and was admitted to the Rochas Foundation, which provides free education to students from the poorest homes. That's how I got through secondary school. It is not impossible to get a good education in Nigeria but it is tough. For example, I did my homework with a kerosene lamp since there wasn't always electricity. I'm surprised my eyesight is still okay. One time I hit my hand on the kerosene lamp. I got burned.

My favorite subjects were mathematics, chemistry and physics. As a child I had an interest in how objects like fighter jets and rockets move in the air. I plan on studying aeronautic engineering. Then I want to work with the Nigerian Airports Authority to repair jets.

The United States Student Achievers program helped me with the process of applying to institutions in the United States. I also took the Joint Admission and Matriculation Board and the West African Examinations Council examinations. But because I didn't have the right connections, even though I did well, I couldn't get into any of the top universities in Nigeria. So you can imagine how delighted my mother was: a few months ago I couldn't get into a university in Nigeria but now I'm headed to MIT.

Everyone always asks me how I received the news about my admission to MIT.

I live in a remote area, far from an Internet cafe, so I had to travel from Kano to Abuja where the U.S. Embassy checked the decision online. When I saw the computer screen I started.  .   .   .  .

http://www.imostateforum.com/index.html/index.php?topic=133.0
Re: Rochas Foundation Pupil Heads To M.I.T. by Greenpro: 11:18am On Aug 13, 2011
picolo01:

I live in a remote area, far from an Internet cafe, so I had to travel from Kano to Abuja where the U.S. Embassy checked the decision online. When I saw the computer screen I started.  .   .   .  .

Internet connection is only available to the rich in Nigeria. My Friend came from Ghana to visit he was greatly surprised how MTN and others are milking us in Nigeria through data service.
Re: Rochas Foundation Pupil Heads To M.I.T. by houvest: 11:40am On Aug 13, 2011
Thank you Rochas
Re: Rochas Foundation Pupil Heads To M.I.T. by jamace(m): 5:18pm On Aug 13, 2011
Kudos, Rochas.
Re: Rochas Foundation Pupil Heads To M.I.T. by Nobody: 5:44pm On Aug 13, 2011
90% of Nigerian students abroad don't return to Nigeria after school! Guess what Nigeria is doing? Paying the huge international student fees help their economy, then we are not spending such huge sum to train Nigerians, we are spending the money to educate future Americans, future canadians, future Brits etc,

M.I.T is not a school not possible in Nigereia infact if he is serious about it,

Nigeria needs a strictly practical and technology research based school like M.I.T,
Re: Rochas Foundation Pupil Heads To M.I.T. by ektbear: 9:10pm On Aug 13, 2011
Impressive kid. Congrats to him. Kudos to Rochas.
Re: Rochas Foundation Pupil Heads To M.I.T. by ak47mann(m): 12:15pm On Aug 14, 2011
rochas is the man cheesy cheesy
Re: Rochas Foundation Pupil Heads To M.I.T. by Afam4eva(m): 8:14am On Aug 15, 2011
Rochas is a philantrophist indeed.
Re: Rochas Foundation Pupil Heads To M.I.T. by aloyemeka2: 1:04am On Aug 16, 2011
[size=14pt]Okorocha: Coronation of a people's man[/size]
Written by Sulaimon Olanrewaju
Wednesday, May 11, 2011

DEFEATING an incumbent in an electoral contest in Nigeria is usually a Herculean task, given the machinery of government at the disposal of the incumbent. This is even more so when such incumbent is generally believed to have acquitted himself creditably in the discharge of his responsibility. But that is what Owelle Rochas Okorocha, the All Progressives Grand Alliance (APGA) candidate in the Imo State gubernatorial election did. He worsted hard working and hard fighting governor of the state, Ikedi Ohakim of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP).

[img]http://odili.net/news/source/2011/may/11/tribune/images/schoolgate[1].jpg[/img]
Rochas Foundation College, Ibadan

According to Mrs Deborah Onifade, a parent whose daughter is in SS3 at the Ibadan branch of the college, "Daddy Okorocha is the kind of person that we want in politics in Nigeria. This man, an Ibo, established a school in Ibadan and allows children, whose parents he does not know to attend free of charge. That is almost unbelievable. He is doing what the government is supposed to be doing. I am so happy that he won the election. It is clear that he will impact positively on the lives of people in his state. Before getting into government, he has been doing what the government is supposed to be doing. I expect that now that he has won he will do more. I am so happy for him and I am happy for the people of the state. I know that Daddy Okorocha will do for the state more than what the people expect."

Speaking in a similar vein, the principal of the Ibadan college, Mr Alamu Timothy, described the electoral success of Okorocha as the answer to the prayers of the students and teachers of the school.

As he said, the man had tried to get into government in 2003 and 2007 without any success, adding that it, however, pleased God to make it possible for him in 2011.

He said, "We really want to appreciate God for the resounding victory that He has given to our President and Founder, Owelle Rochas Okorocha. We see it as victory at last. It is the triumph of good over evil. We see it as victory for the common man. At last, somebody with a heart for the less privileged has struggled to get to power. I know that his victory has given a big hope for the oppressed in the society.

"We thank God for what he has been doing even without being in government. With his own personal resources, he has decided to pitch his tent with the less privileged. We know now that the reason for governance will be displayed first of all in Imo State. I know without any shadow of doubt that in the very near future, Imo State will be a reference point to how governance should be."

Timothy said the school celebrated the victory of its president as it re-opened for the new term on Monday even as it also seized the occasion to pray for the governor-elect.

He added, "We pray that the Lord will grant him the wisdom to make the difference in office. We are happy that it has pleased God to take him to a higher height. Given what he has done in his private life, we are sure that he will do much more as a public official."

Some students of the school also expressed their exultation on the electoral success of their school founder. One of them, Julius Samuel, an SS 2 student, described the victory of Okorocha as a victory for all the disadvantaged people in the country.

http://odili.net/news/source/2011/may/11/615.html
Re: Rochas Foundation Pupil Heads To M.I.T. by nethacker(m): 1:25am On Aug 16, 2011
y i go come back 9ja after school wen na beef colleagues go dey beef u, environment go frustrate u comot. grin grin
Re: Rochas Foundation Pupil Heads To M.I.T. by HighChief4(m): 1:32am On Aug 16, 2011
This man Rochas is really wonderful. Only if we had just 10 of him in that country. Spreading his philantropy from North to West and all over the country. God will surely reward u Rochas
Re: Rochas Foundation Pupil Heads To M.I.T. by toluxa1(m): 4:52am On Aug 16, 2011
picolo01:

I plan on studying aeronautic engineering. Then I want to work with the Nigerian Airports Authority to repair jets.

shocked shocked shocked
Re: Rochas Foundation Pupil Heads To M.I.T. by dayokanu(m): 5:39am On Aug 16, 2011
Kudos Rochas.
Re: Rochas Foundation Pupil Heads To M.I.T. by davidif: 7:20am On Aug 16, 2011
Wow!!!! excellent. The kid gets to go to the best school in the world.
Re: Rochas Foundation Pupil Heads To M.I.T. by MMM2(m): 7:20am On Aug 16, 2011
dats very good Rochas
Re: Rochas Foundation Pupil Heads To M.I.T. by SEFAGO(m): 7:26am On Aug 16, 2011
davidif:

Wow!!!! excellent. The kid gets to go to the best school in the world.

Holy shit you still dey alive?
Re: Rochas Foundation Pupil Heads To M.I.T. by ifyalways(f): 9:16am On Aug 16, 2011
Greenpro:

Internet connection is only available to the rich in Nigeria. My Friend came from Ghana to visit he was greatly surprised how MTN and others are milking us in Nigeria through data service.
So true especially MTN.

@Topic,Nice one
Re: Rochas Foundation Pupil Heads To M.I.T. by dabrake(m): 9:19am On Aug 16, 2011
SEFAGO:

Holy poo you still dey alive?

get ur facts b4 postin. Apart frm harvard, mit remains d bst. Few rate caltech abov mit buh if u take d criteria used 4 judgement, mit wil outclass caltech. In terms of science/technology, mit is d best in d world. Y nt use goole properly?
Re: Rochas Foundation Pupil Heads To M.I.T. by SEFAGO(m): 9:37am On Aug 16, 2011
dabrake:

get your facts b4 postin. Apart frm harvard, mit remains d bst. Few rate caltech abov mit buh if u take d criteria used 4 judgement, mit wil outclass caltech. In terms of science/technology, mit is d best in d world. Y nt use goole properly?

Kedu? Wetin do you that you are directly conversing to  SEFA"GOD"?

You sure u still no dey Yaba Psychiatry hospital?

Are you ok?

How you fit convince your psychiatrist that your craze craze don reduce enough to let you out into the real world?

Dont you know that before you talk to God you usually go through an intermediary?

Anyways I am magnanimous, and I have forgiven you for your trangressions.

PS: I was asking if the poster davidif who last posted in 2010 was alive aka where has he been. Remember year 2010 when you got carted to the Psychiatric hospital because you were having a conversation with a goat and trying to chat it up to have s/e/x with you but the goat no gree, and you tried to violation it and got caught by animal control.

Learn how to write properly mate, and dont text-speak when you are talking to God!!! Its not proper
Re: Rochas Foundation Pupil Heads To M.I.T. by Mkpotu(m): 10:48am On Aug 16, 2011
Rochas, my prayer is for God to continue to guide you, protect you and give you the desired wisdom in all that you do. His favour shall not depart from you.

ROCHAS IS D MAN!
Re: Rochas Foundation Pupil Heads To M.I.T. by Nobody: 11:00am On Aug 16, 2011
Rochas, may u live long . . .
Re: Rochas Foundation Pupil Heads To M.I.T. by otapiapia: 11:03am On Aug 16, 2011
Any reasons why this man should not be the next president?
Re: Rochas Foundation Pupil Heads To M.I.T. by aljharem3: 11:03am On Aug 16, 2011
kay-one:

Rochas, may u live long .   .   .

Amen to that

really impressive I must say

kudos Rochas. Just hope you are for really
Re: Rochas Foundation Pupil Heads To M.I.T. by aljharem3: 11:05am On Aug 16, 2011
otapiapia:

Any reasons why this man should not be the next president?

Really No reason only that we should still give him time to see if he is the really deal

I believe after a year or 2 we can have a clear assertion of what his goals are
Re: Rochas Foundation Pupil Heads To M.I.T. by Nobody: 11:12am On Aug 16, 2011
picolo01:

My friend,
The money you will use in paying transport from Kano to Abuja U.S Embassy would have gotten you a fairly use laptop and MTN 3G modem. From your story, we know you come from a poor background, which is no news anymore because our President also went to school without shoes, sold fresh fish etc. Kano is a big city with internet cafe' everywhere. Don’t stay in U.S because you've gotten scholarship and rundown your country. Statistics shows that most of Nigerians live below one dollar daily.
Concentrate on your studies and remember your mother whom you didn’t mention in your story along with your younger one. If you like, come and after your studies and add value to Nigeria and the foundation which assisted you, it’s your choice.
Advice no be curse. Abeg ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
Re: Rochas Foundation Pupil Heads To M.I.T. by Chinexy: 11:28am On Aug 16, 2011
a few months ago I couldn't get into a university in Nigeria but now I'm headed to MIT.

These words hit me like brimstone.This is a story of one fortunate person.Who knows how many hopes the "Nigerian system" has killed.
Thank You ROCHAS,
Re: Rochas Foundation Pupil Heads To M.I.T. by claremont(m): 11:52am On Aug 16, 2011
Good luck to the lad!
Re: Rochas Foundation Pupil Heads To M.I.T. by presido1: 11:55am On Aug 16, 2011
Thank you all for thanking me. I will always do my best.
To God be the glory.
Re: Rochas Foundation Pupil Heads To M.I.T. by aljharem3: 11:56am On Aug 16, 2011
presido1:

Thank you all for thanking me. I will always do my best.
To God be the glory.

presido, u be rochas undecided
Re: Rochas Foundation Pupil Heads To M.I.T. by BigMeat2: 12:56pm On Aug 16, 2011
If the young man is very talented, he will be fast track by the US authorities into one of their massive science and technology programmes, which means Nigeria has lost another talented person to the already developed country.

It's a shame that our government are not known to take the welfare of talented individuals seriously. Our lose, might turn out to be the US gain.

All the best to the young fellow.
Re: Rochas Foundation Pupil Heads To M.I.T. by divinereal: 2:29pm On Aug 16, 2011
The Rochas Foundation Colleges are non profit, non-religious, non-governmental humanitarian organisations providing free education to the poorest of the poor.

The foundation has established 5 schools in different locations in Nigeria, namely Kano, Jos, Owerri, Ibadan and Ogboko where over 5,000 poor children are receiving comprehensive FREE education including free meals, free tuition, free boarding, free uniforms, free medical care and free learning materials.

Another example of a secular non profit smiley
Re: Rochas Foundation Pupil Heads To M.I.T. by naijaking1: 3:03pm On Aug 16, 2011
divinereal:

The Rochas Foundation Colleges are non profit, non-religious, non-governmental humanitarian organisations providing free education to the poorest of the poor.

The foundation has established 5 schools in different locations in Nigeria, namely Kano, Jos, Owerri, Ibadan and Ogboko where over 5,000 poor children are receiving comprehensive FREE education including free meals, free tuition, free boarding, free uniforms, free medical care and free learning materials.

Another example of a secular non profit smiley

Amazing, and very heart warming cry

(1) (2) (Reply)

Theodoore Orji's Achivements In Abia State / Is Labaran Maku A Coward Or What? / British Parliamentarians To Join BBOG Group’s Sit-out Today

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.