Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,841 members, 7,810,240 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 01:41 AM

What Have We Gained From Privatisation In Nigeria? - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / What Have We Gained From Privatisation In Nigeria? (4939 Views)

Privatisation Of PHCN A Fraud, Electricity Workers Tell Buhari / FG Signs Agreements With Power Privatisation Bid Winners / Nigeria Scraps Canada Power Contract In Privatisation Setback (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Have We Gained From Privatisation In Nigeria? by brainpulse: 2:07pm On Aug 16, 2011
We all know the processes of awarding contracts in this part of the world as no form of genuity at all. Its either favourism, greed, tribalism, nepotism and selfish gains among others. SO what we see is less than what should be expected.
Look at the case of GSM that all these operators have the chunks of cuts given to these faithful agents, Godfathers (obasanjo & co), and every Nigerians are paying dearly for it- why some say, if Nitel was not privatised nothing would have come out of it.
If we have had a focus leader with a clear mind and motive would handle the project and Nigerians will be paying very little for it.
Re: What Have We Gained From Privatisation In Nigeria? by Donmeca(m): 2:17pm On Aug 16, 2011
deenee:

I like your tenacious attitude. Well just to let you know, I cannot recall stating my opinion on the subject matter (i.e. whether we have gained  or not from the privatization process) I have only expressed some form of satisfaction directly at kobojunkie for the way she has presented her view on the thread.

Anyway, I think this has increased my interest on the subject matter. Hence, I would like both of us to do this

Pick on government agency that has been 'privatized successfully'  and one that has not

Look at the whole process and see if due diligence has been observed during the course of privatization

Identify what has worked and what hasn't, what are the learning points that we all can pick from the exercise? ( yes I mean all of 'us' because the success or failure of our great country Nigeria is a 'collective responsibility' and who  knows maybe one day one of 'us' could be in a position to change things for good)  

Carry out a comparative analysis using another country that has successfully privatized some of her government holdings ( one example I would recommend is Malaysia because the original blueprint for the privatization process model was copied from them)

Apply this analysis within the Nigerian context highlighting the pros and cons and give your take on the matter.

DEAL?

smiley smiley U sound like u're givin me an assignment grin grin. But really that was and is still the aim of d topic! So DEAL!!! But don't just leave it to me. Ajaokuta Steel Company was privatised, we can start from that.
Re: What Have We Gained From Privatisation In Nigeria? by Kobojunkie: 2:20pm On Aug 16, 2011
Ajaokuta Steel company has only recently been privatized. How can you  judge the actual company's success or failure at this time?  undecided undecided Or are you taking a look at the transition process itself?
Re: What Have We Gained From Privatisation In Nigeria? by Donmeca(m): 2:27pm On Aug 16, 2011
Good one Kobo! But u advised that I read d dailies and assuming I took your advice, I just discovered that the process leading to its sale was fraught with irregularities and as such it has not been positioned for success. So d govt guarantee for success which u advocated may not be there. We don't have to wait till it dies b4 speaking up. Privatisation shud empower people to fairly buy into or over these coys and d process shud not be skewed to favour some above d laws and their cronies.

EDIT: A little link here http://www.channelstv.com/global/news_details.php?nid=28441&cat=Local
Re: What Have We Gained From Privatisation In Nigeria? by Kobojunkie: 2:32pm On Aug 16, 2011
Donmeca:

Good one Kobo! But u advised that I read d dailies and assuming I took your advice, I just discovered that the process leading to its sale was fraught with irregularities and as such it has not been positioned for success. So d govt guarantee for success which u advocated may not be there. We don't have to wait till it dies b4 speaking up. Privatisation shud empower people to fairly buy into or over these coys and d process shud not be skewed to favour some above d laws and their cronies.

Well, good that you took my advice. So what does that tell you then? That Privatization the Nigerian way is a FAILURE?? lol

Glad you at least know what Privatization should do . . ,  however, since the sales so far have been from one gang of crooks to the same, I don't see how that is privatization that is empowering the people. Or do you?
Re: What Have We Gained From Privatisation In Nigeria? by Donmeca(m): 2:39pm On Aug 16, 2011
^^^This is what I call running around in a circle. Yes I said assuming I took ur advice. It does not mean I never knew that or heard that there was a problem with it b4 posting the topic. In ur mind there was no privatisation but the govt tells u there was and u need to wake up to it. If 2007 election was rigged, does it mean there was no election in Nigeria? There was a rigged election!
I don't see how that is privatization if the people are not empowered. Or do you?

Yes I call it ill-practiced privatisation. It is in d books that those coys were privatised and until they are reversed, it is called privatisation. And I still maintain that PRIVATISATION AS DONE in Nigeria was/is a failure.
Re: What Have We Gained From Privatisation In Nigeria? by Kobojunkie: 2:47pm On Aug 16, 2011
Donmeca:

^^^This is what I call running around in a circle. Yes I said assuming I took your advice. It does not mean I never knew that or heard that there was a problem with it b4 posting the topic. In your mind there was no privatisation but the govt tells u there was and u need to wake up to it. If 2007 election was rigged, does it mean there was no election in Nigeria? There was a rigged election!

Yes I call it ill-practiced privatisation. It is in d books that those coys were privatised and until they are reversed, it is called privatisation. And I still maintain that PRIVATISATION AS DONE in Nigeria was/is a failure.

In my mind there was no privatization?? I think it should be clear to you at this point that you do not have the ability to read my mind in this. Please STOP THINKING YOU CAN.

Read my post -- I told you Ajaokuta Steel was recently PRIVATIZED but according to reports, the process was marred in the usual corruption and bribery. How in the world does that equate to NO PRIVATIZATION?

Please go back to the Umbrella analogy -- as I believe that fits well here. The man comes to you with an umbrella -- he told you he used it, and he probably did, but he is drenched. Do you simply on that conclude the Umbrella does not work? Or do you conclude the man does not have an umbrella? Do you conclude on that the man lied to you? Or do you use your head, and investigate his use of the Umbrella to figure out what really went wrong?

Even go back to the MICROWAVE example --- of course when you put water in a stainless steel plate and put that to boil in a microwave, something will happen. Only you might not like what happens. It is certain you will tell the next man that you used the microwave, and you will not be lying if you did. That does not mean the microwave is the problem though.

It is not the microwave to blame yet. It is not the umbrella to blame yet!This is not ROCKET SCIENCE!!!
Re: What Have We Gained From Privatisation In Nigeria? by brainpulse: 3:24pm On Aug 16, 2011
@ Donmeca

I will advice you not to reply Kobojunkie its either she doesn't understand your line of facts or she just decided to play naive to this line of thoughts and underlined events on privatisation.

The answer is the whole privatisation theory in Nigeria is a scam and flawed by the writers and the actors, the script was written to fail and that is the reason why it wont work and viewers like kobojunkie that get enthusiastic about the made believe of the action part are still engrossed in the love story part of the soap opera.
Re: What Have We Gained From Privatisation In Nigeria? by priapus(m): 5:50pm On Aug 16, 2011
in my own opinion the initial plan for the creation of BPE selfishness and greed in the hands of obj. BPE was created by former president to sell government properties to himself and his cronies. gbam cry
Re: What Have We Gained From Privatisation In Nigeria? by Kobojunkie: 5:53pm On Aug 16, 2011
^^^ BPE was created during the Abacha regime, right?
Re: What Have We Gained From Privatisation In Nigeria? by kolexy(m): 6:00pm On Aug 16, 2011
OANDO - an Enterprise that rose from the ashes of the dying unipetrol.

INDORAMA - this coy took over the capital sucking Eleme Petrochemicals. It will interest you to know that prior to privatisation Eleme Petrochemicals never made profit for once.

The other companies could have done well, but our Business Men/Women are just to greedy. They are only intereted in how much they can make today.
Re: What Have We Gained From Privatisation In Nigeria? by igb4life: 11:43pm On Dec 20, 2011
I just concluded work on my book concerning the Privatization program. Most of the 147 privatized Government-Owned Enterprises during the tenure of former President Obasanjo were sold to government loyalists and supporters at the detriment of the ordinary Nigerians. As a result, the Nigerian government systemically transferred it monopolistic enterprises to a core group of loyalists and People Democratic Party (PDP) financiers resulting in the emergence of a new posse of robber capitalists and oligarchs with a new monopolistic business model, which vertically control all the factors of production and distribution.
Re: What Have We Gained From Privatisation In Nigeria? by igb4life: 11:51pm On Dec 20, 2011
Kobojunkie: BPE was created during the Abacha regime, right?

Based on the recommendation of the TCPC in its report, advocated the establishment of the Bureau of Public Enterprises to continue the privatization process. The FMGN acknowledged the recommendation, and after due consultation with relevant bodies promulgated the Bureau of Public Enterprises Decree No. 28 of 1993. Thus, Decree No. 28 repealed the Decree No. 25 and transferred all its function to the BPE. Zayyad continued to head the new BPE as chairman.
Re: What Have We Gained From Privatisation In Nigeria? by betaessays: 5:02am On Sep 07, 2017
The effects of privatization and commercialization in the Nigerian economy
http://articlesng.com/privatization-commercialization-nigerian-economy/
Re: What Have We Gained From Privatisation In Nigeria? by TheKingIsHere: 7:43am On Sep 07, 2017
This is why I say obj is the biggest crook in Nigeria
Re: What Have We Gained From Privatisation In Nigeria? by Goldman360: 5:22pm On Sep 28, 2017
The Effect of Privatization and Commercialization of Government Owned Industries

The history of privatization in Nigeria duties back to 1972 and 1977 with the promulgation of the Nigeria enterprises promotion Decree of 1992 and (7). The aim then, was to bring Nigeria to the ownership structure of economic institution in the country formerly dominated by foreigners. It was echoed again in 1989...

http://www.scharticles.com/the-effect-of-privatization-and-commercialization-of-government-owned-industries/
Re: What Have We Gained From Privatisation In Nigeria? by betaessays: 11:07pm On Oct 22, 2017
http://articlesng.com/government-policy-privatization-commercialization-nigeria-economy/
Government policy on privatization and commercialization on Nigeria economy

(1) (2) (Reply)

Fuel Subsidy Removal Is A Slap To The Face Of The Average Nigerian - My Analysis / MTN Donates Patrol Vans To Lagos Security Trust Fund / Hilarious!! Pdp Mocks GMB In Their New Campaign Picture!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.