Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,346 members, 7,812,000 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 05:52 AM

If You Know You Know - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / If You Know You Know (631 Views)

You Might Never Know You Were Dating Yourself, My Experience! / When Did You Know You Were Loved At Home? / How To Know You Have A Sleep Disorder (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

If You Know You Know by Larrycool1234(m): 5:58am On Oct 17, 2022
Am sure some of us must have come across this portrait , but what on earth was going through the man's mind ? Save your old and dying grandfather and leaving your wife and son to drown... whao! Hmmmm this life thick gan o

1 Like

Re: If You Know You Know by Larrycool1234(m): 5:59am On Oct 17, 2022
Or anybody with a better explanation of this portrait .
Re: If You Know You Know by general111(m): 6:29am On Oct 17, 2022
He is probably gay wink

Look at the picture again, his wife has her left hanf hooked to a root and her right hnd on her baby, so she wont drown immediately, but the old man is drowning pretty fast.

2 Likes

Re: If You Know You Know by buttlover(m): 6:34am On Oct 17, 2022
the wife can hold on to that root tree for minutes but the old man is helpless about to drown

4 Likes

Re: If You Know You Know by Nobody: 7:24am On Oct 17, 2022
That old man looks like an older version of Jesus.
Re: If You Know You Know by ibechris(m): 7:30am On Oct 17, 2022
If u watch very well,it appears that the man is dying and needed to be rescued while the woman might be shouting save me and my son, but she appears strong which means,she could stay strong for some minutes.

To explain broadly,when there is an accident any where,try first to rescue those who are not talking but still alive,the reason is,those shouting can survive hence the noise but those breathing may or may not that is why medically,they attend to them before others.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: If You Know You Know by MufasaLion: 10:07am On Oct 17, 2022
None of my business.
Re: If You Know You Know by Richy4(m): 10:42am On Oct 17, 2022
That looks like his aged father...embarassed
Re: If You Know You Know by Nobody: 12:28pm On Oct 17, 2022
Larrycool1234:
Or anybody with a better explanation of this portrait .
The painting is called Deluge scene.

The man trying to save his father and completely ignoring his wife and baby who are closer to him.

The wife represents the present life, the son the future and the grandfather represents the past, which the man clings, losing his present life and future. He can't let the past go. A perfect metaphor of what many go through on daily basis.

Scene of the deluge, 1827 by Joseph Désiré (1797-1865)

I love arts smiley

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: If You Know You Know by uxomed: 1:53pm On Oct 17, 2022
Acadia07:

The man trying to save his father and completely ignoring his wife and baby who are closer to him.

The wife represents the present life, the son the future and the grandfather represents the past, which the man clings, losing his present life and future. He can't let the past go. A perfect metaphor of what many go through on daily basis.

I love arts smiley
Thanks for this. It makes a lot of sense.

3 Likes

Re: If You Know You Know by pansophist(m): 2:18pm On Oct 17, 2022
The painting is known as the "scene from the Great Flood by Joseph-Désiré Court.

The painting is a pictorial depiction of the biblical story of "Noah and the ark", when God destroyed the earth with flood, for new life to begin. If you're in the ark, you're saved.

The man is torn between saving his father, his son, or to save his wife and son together. Each decisions carries with it it's own weight, that will shape his future.

His father represents the past, his son represents the future, and his wife represents the present and a support into the future. But he decided to saved his father instead of his wife and son.

9 Likes

Re: If You Know You Know by Nobody: 4:07pm On Oct 17, 2022
uxomed:
Thanks for this. It makes a lot of sense.
You're welcome smiley
Re: If You Know You Know by Dayaa: 5:08pm On Oct 17, 2022
I think it's the millenial man's tough fight choosing between traditional sentiments and loyalty to his young family.

In the painting, the man chose to save his aged father which could be interpreted as the patriarchal way of managing family affairs.

As opposed to saving his son and wife which could mean compromise and the modern way of approaching family matters.
Re: If You Know You Know by Larrycool1234(m): 5:09pm On Oct 17, 2022
Acadia07:

Whao! Really love this piece.... thanks alot

I love arts smiley
Re: If You Know You Know by Dayaa: 5:09pm On Oct 17, 2022
Pansophist
Share your thoughts?
Re: If You Know You Know by Cutehector(m): 5:20pm On Oct 17, 2022
Three different versions to this painting.

Mchew.
Re: If You Know You Know by pansophist(m): 5:40pm On Oct 17, 2022
Dayaa:
Pansophist
Share your thoughts?

I did. Read above
Re: If You Know You Know by Nobody: 6:29pm On Oct 17, 2022
[quote author=Larrycool1234 post=117642570][/quote] You're welcome

(1) (Reply)

Who Exactly Belongs To The Indomie Generation? / Kidney For Sale / Should Couples Contribute Equally In Matters Of Finance.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.