Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,817 members, 7,827,994 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 08:58 PM

Should I Migrate Or Remain In Nigeria? - Travel (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Should I Migrate Or Remain In Nigeria? (11211 Views)

7 Reasons Why You Should Remain In Nigeria / Top 10 Countries In The World To Migrate To / I Am A Fresh Graduate Of Medicine And Surgery,which Country Should I Migrate To? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Should I Migrate Or Remain In Nigeria? by Russialane(m): 6:54am On Aug 23, 2011
A WORD as they say is enough for the wise need i add more to be honest stay back home you are better off there than most here, lots of people here have given you good advice i am a postgrad student here every day i see unhappy faces especially nigerians and african immigrants i bet most times i sense regret all over their faces really its not their fault they all came hoping for a better life who does not want a better life for himself and their family everybody does unfortunately times have changed here in the uk unemployment is fast rising everyday and the cost of living is so expensive hmm if you have a family to cater for here you are own your own my friend on a loooong thing even most students here cant find jobs wen i say job my guy the menial ones at least e no dey bros even the ones available are very competitive na uk i see say person must get serious experience for cleaning work. it is not worth it but the choice is up to you
Re: Should I Migrate Or Remain In Nigeria? by beeman80: 9:41am On Aug 23, 2011
babaijesha:

I will advise you to stay in Nigeria,  If its about MBA, you can always do a distance learning MBA from these foreign university without wahala of immigration and huge tuition fees.  Most pple in Nigeria are opting out for that option.

[b][b][b]If you feel na must you wan leave Nija, you can opt out for processing of Canada/Aussie immigration while you are sill on you job for Naija,  [/b][/b][/b]

Dont quit your job,  U will know the meaning when you dont know where the next meal is coming from , it makes things worse when you have a family , Shikena
Canadian/Aussie?
Re: Should I Migrate Or Remain In Nigeria? by Nosyke(m): 12:20pm On Aug 23, 2011
Honestly, I must commend all who have contributed to this thread, many people are actually in the same shoes with the op.
I have not seen such sincere and educative replies from nlders for while now.
op, the ball is in your court
Re: Should I Migrate Or Remain In Nigeria? by beeman80: 12:31pm On Aug 23, 2011
Nosyke:

Honestly, I must commend all who have contributed to this thread, many people are actually in the same shoes with the op.
I have not seen such  sincere and educative replies from nlders for while now.
op, the ball is in your court

I am away from the ball.LOL
Re: Should I Migrate Or Remain In Nigeria? by dustydee: 1:41pm On Aug 23, 2011
lastpage:

@Beeman80
Thanks very much, l aint that "current" but the song strikes a chord in me all the time! I have a few kids growing up 'abroad" and only one of them UNDERSTANDS my 'native language', non of them can even speak it! Its such a shame! cry cry

I guess you mean "SOU[b]L[/b]Sultan"? grin wink

BTW: You've shown "averse-ness" to the GMAT exam a few times? Why?
Its no bigggy at all, just like the normal Pre-Employment Aptitude tests.
I doubt you will find a way around doing it.
Why not take one NOW that you're actually not under pressure, just "for practice" you'know?

Goodluck.

Lastpage.

SOUND SULTAN
Re: Should I Migrate Or Remain In Nigeria? by manakeagie: 3:23pm On Aug 24, 2011
my dear follow your heart and your dreams , ask your self where will i be comfortable, will be able to achieve ma set goals am certain that after all that you will be able to make a decision and pray about it
Re: Should I Migrate Or Remain In Nigeria? by Elpieda: 8:30pm On Aug 25, 2011
Mr Poster I have read what everyone has said and based on people's individual experiences they have given you the best advice yet.

First of all you are married with a kid and you want to come in on a student visa, that's a big risk but I dont want to discourage you, Ill leave that aside and share my own story, 

I came to the United States on a student visa to get a masters degree and while my parents were able to pay my tuition. I was single and had no commitment to no one so I basically came on a clean slate. I was told how hard it was going to be to get an on campus job but I always felt God will work something out for me. I worked 3 jobs (School Cafetaria, Desk job at the dorms, office of admissions) on campus for a max of 20hours a week and the money I got from it went towards paying my rent and my general upkeep. It was a blessing for my parents as they only had to pay for tuition. Trust me these are jobs i will normally not do if I was in Nigeria but I thank God I had that experience because not only was it a humbling experience for me, it taught me how to stand on my own and rely on no one else but God. After my first semester, I dropped two of the jobs and focused on the office of admissions job because they increased my pay to $9 an hour and gave me the 20 hours i needed in a week. Hmm that job taught me a lot as I experienced racism at its highest with my boss. But I depended on God and God alone so he saw me through that and my boss ended up loving me the most out of all the other employees.

Well fast forward some years, I was about to graduate and once you graduate, immigration lets you work for one year on the OPT. Now the major trouble started. I looked everywhere for a job but all kept wanting a US citizen or a permanent resident. Gosh I applied everywhere and even got reprimanded by some employers due to the fact they had seen my resume over and over again. All this while I never really considered moving back home. But I serve a living GOd and all through my search I cried unto Him because in my heart I knew I wanted to continue on in the US. Well God showed himself strong and on the day of my graduation, I got hired by a very popular Bank and was hired in their Internal Audit department. The pay was good and I dint even know how to start thanking God. THey told me they will only be able to keep me for one year as they have never sponsored any non citizen before. Inf act I was the first non us citizen they hired.

Fast forward,  after my OPT expired, that same bank that said they will never sponsor me, sponsored my H1B visa and it got approved. They also increased my salary by $3000 in the space of a year. I still work with them but probably not for long because I will be getting married soon to the man who has been with me all through this period of trials, tribulations and joys and laughter and we are moving to a different state to a better job.

Well I know story story, But the reason why I shared this is because some have it rough and some have it good. DO your research before you make a move especially considering the fact you have a wife and kid.  Don't make any hasty decision and if you are meant to relocate then things will fall in place but if not then those doors wont open for you. Pray hard and ask God to direct your path. No one should tell you no and no one should tell you yes, I cant even do that because I do not regret one bit my decision to come to the US but that doesn't mean you will have the same experience. It wasn't rosy but with God on my side he showed me that it doesn't matter where you are in the world. As long as you are in tune with him, he will make a way and direct your path. But like I said, thats MY own experience.

2 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Should I Migrate Or Remain In Nigeria? by moremi2008(m): 8:51pm On Aug 25, 2011
Elpieda:

Mr Poster I have read what everyone has said and based on people's individual experiences they have given you the best advice yet.

First of all you are married with a kid and you want to come in on a student visa, that's a big risk but I dont want to discourage you, Ill leave that aside and share my own story, 

I came to the United States on a student visa to get a masters degree and while my parents were able to pay my tuition. I was single and had no commitment to no one so I basically came on a clean slate. I was told how hard it was going to be to get an on campus job but I always felt God will work something out for me. I worked 3 jobs (School Cafetaria, Desk job at the dorms, office of admissions) on campus for a max of 20hours a week and the money I got from it went towards paying my rent and my general upkeep. It was a blessing for my parents as they only had to pay for tuition. Trust me these are jobs i will normally not do if I was in Nigeria but I thank God I had that experience because not only was it a humbling experience for me, it taught me how to stand on my own and rely on no one else but God. After my first semester, I dropped two of the jobs and focused on the office of admissions job because they increased my pay to $9 an hour and gave me the 20 hours i needed in a week. Hmm that job taught me a lot as I experienced racism at its highest with my boss. But I depended on God and God alone so he saw me through that and my boss ended up loving me the most out of all the other employees.

Well fast forward some years, I was about to graduate and once you graduate, immigration lets you work for one year on the OPT. Now the major trouble started. I looked everywhere for a job but all kept wanting a US citizen or a permanent resident. Gosh I applied everywhere and even got reprimanded by some employers due to the fact they had seen my resume over and over again. All this while I never really considered moving back home. But I serve a living GOd and all through my search I cried unto Him because in my heart I knew I wanted to continue on in the US. Well God showed himself strong and on the day of my graduation, I got hired by a very popular Bank and was hired in their Internal Audit department. The pay was good and I dint even know how to start thanking God. THey told me they will only be able to keep me for one year as they have never sponsored any non citizen before. Inf act I was the first non us citizen they hired.

Fast forward,  after my OPT expired, that same bank that said they will never sponsor me, sponsored my H1B visa and it got approved. They also increased my salary by $3000 in the space of a year. I still work with them but probably not for long because I will be getting married soon to the man who has been with me all through this period of trials, tribulations and joys and laughter and we are moving to a different state to a better job.

Well I know story story, But the reason why I shared this is because some have it rough and some have it good. DO your research before you make a move especially considering the fact you have a wife and kid.  Don't make any hasty decision and if you are meant to relocate then things will fall in place but if not then those doors wont open for you. Pray hard and ask God to direct your path. No one should tell you no and no one should tell you yes, I cant even do that because I do not regret one bit my decision to come to the US but that doesn't mean you will have the same experience. It wasn't rosy but with God on my side he showed me that it doesn't matter where you are in the world. As long as you are in tune with him, he will make a way and direct your path. But like I said, thats MY own experience.

Congratulations! God is good.

However, stories like this really annoy me. Why exactly is this story relevant or helpful if you had your parents paying your tuition and you were single? Do you realize that those two factors are complete game-changers in evaluating a decision to move to the U.S.? It's like sharing your testimony about how God upgraded your car to a Mercedes to a starving child living under the bridge. To what purpose would that be? Please, let's all stick to sharing relevant stories.

1 Like

Re: Should I Migrate Or Remain In Nigeria? by Elpieda: 9:03pm On Aug 25, 2011
^^^^^^ The whole point is for him to see how it worked out. And make his valuable judgment from then on. He is a grown man so he can pick out whatever he considers relevant and leave out the rest.

I don't care how much it annoys you but when I said my parents paid, I dint want to go into details of how that happened but I will go into details.

My parents dint have the money to pay for my $23,000 tuition. They could not afford it and I could only go to the US with so much to start off with. But part of the testimony is, when my mum's friends found out i was in the states and all, they were all willing to help me out. A friend of my folks I don't really know so well paid the bulk part of my tuition. We dint ask them to but they volunteered to because of the relationship they have with my folks. That was all God working.

The point is yes his situation is different since he is married with a kid etc BUT Poster if God is for you in this, he will open doors for you that will amaze you. I am not trying to preach or anything but my success in the US is all GOD, I dont know what kind of resource you have available or who GOd has put in your life to help you but I still maintain my stand that I wont discourage you. Just do your research and trust God to direct your path. Make no decision without consulting your wife first.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Should I Migrate Or Remain In Nigeria? by Select(m): 3:16am On Aug 26, 2011
Elpieda:

^^^^^^ The whole point is for him to see how it worked out. And make his valuable judgment from then on. He is a grown man so he can pick out whatever he considers relevant and leave out the rest.

I don't care how much it annoys you but when I said my parents paid, I dint want to go into details of how that happened but I will go into details.

My parents dint have the money to pay for my $23,000 tuition. They could not afford it and I could only go to the US with so much to start off with. But part of the testimony is, when my mum's friends found out i was in the states and all, they were all willing to help me out. A friend of my folks I don't really know so well paid the bulk part of my tuition. We dint ask them to but they volunteered to because of the relationship they have with my folks. That was all God working.

The point is yes his situation is different since he is married with a kid etc BUT Poster if God is for you in this, he will open doors for you that will amaze you. I am not trying to preach or anything but my success in the US is all GOD, I dont know what kind of resource you have available or who GOd has put in your life to help you but I still maintain my stand that I wont discourage you. Just do your research and trust God to direct your path. Make no decision without consulting your wife first.

^^^^^^ Nice one!
Re: Should I Migrate Or Remain In Nigeria? by beeman80: 9:37am On Aug 26, 2011
Thanks alot.Wish I also had folks to pay mine.LOL But I really felt your story.God really lives.
Re: Should I Migrate Or Remain In Nigeria? by utcheylee: 2:44pm On Oct 11, 2013
Good day pple,
I was touched with the story as am planning the same thing my self here in naija am married with 2kids my job is just every day job with little salary and this naija bank issue affected my man and since then things has been hard ,we were thinking of relocating to usa with the little money we saved to start all over please what do you guys think cos his finding it very hard to get another reasonable job here.
thank you.
Re: Should I Migrate Or Remain In Nigeria? by kclexa(m): 5:37pm On Oct 11, 2013
utcheylee: Good day pple,
I was touched with the story as am planning the same thing my self here in naija am married with 2kids my job is just every day job with little salary and this naija bank issue affected my man and since then things has been hard ,we were thinking of relocating to usa with the little money we saved to start all over please what do you guys think cos his finding it very hard to get another reasonable job here.
thank you.

If you must relocate; I would advise you consider Australia, Canada or Swizz. They have better prospect for immigrants.

One of you can go first then moves other over when a little bit stable.
Re: Should I Migrate Or Remain In Nigeria? by utcheylee: 8:39pm On Oct 16, 2013
Thanks dear do you know. How to go about it?I heard. Canada and Australia. Has alot of fraudsters. As agent don't want to enter there. Trap
Re: Should I Migrate Or Remain In Nigeria? by mchuxx(m): 3:02am On Oct 22, 2013
check their website www.cic.gc.ca
Re: Should I Migrate Or Remain In Nigeria? by Bounce714: 2:18pm On Feb 26, 2015
A very nice topic because this is my current situation now , I work with one of the big four audit firms in Nigeria, currently I got a job with another big four audit firm in the US at the same Level. I am married no kids yet and my age is say 32. My plan is actually a short term thing ( 2 - 3yrs) then come back to Nigeria. I am not interested in the Green Card, just the work experience.

Can anyone please advise me if this is a good move?
Re: Should I Migrate Or Remain In Nigeria? by Bounce714: 2:29pm On Feb 26, 2015
A very nice topic because this is my current situation now , I work with one of the big four audit firms in Nigeria, currently I got a job with another big four audit firm in the US at the same Level. I am married no kids yet and my age is say 32. My plan is actually a short term thing ( 2 - 3yrs) then come back to Nigeria. I am not interested in the Green Card, just the work experience.

Can anyone please advise me if this is a good move?[color=#000099][/color]
Re: Should I Migrate Or Remain In Nigeria? by flobo: 4:13pm On Feb 26, 2015
I would say it is a good move for the experience and also it would be good if you can have your kids there send me an e-mail at folabo80@yahoo.com so i can give you more tips
Re: Should I Migrate Or Remain In Nigeria? by IbeOkehie: 3:49am On Oct 01, 2023
Lax75:
@ Poster:

First off, I understand your frustration with naija. But also know that everywhere has its good and bad. Here's my take. If you said you were trying to migrate during the Clinton era, and pre-911, I would have actually encouraged you to give it a shot. But now, the patriot act has made things super difficult for immigrants and the shot economy has made it even harder. On a daily basis, people are losing their jobs and companies are folding.

I have been on F1 visa once, however this was back during the Clinton years where getting a job off campus was not difficult. Drawback is that with an F1, you are only allowed to work 20 hours (though I know people who do 40 hours). Of course the jobs you will get will be non-professional jobs. Do you intend on feeding and sustaining your family working at the mall as a security guard or a sales associate at say, Macy's?

What do you then do after you finish school? Will you apply for a H1 visa? That is so damn hard to get in this economy and these visas are in limited issuance each year (I think about 55,000 but don't quote me). The thing about H1 is that you are bound to that employer, and they tend to take advantage of that by paying you and keeping you on a crappy salary! Trust me I know because I've been there. After my F1, I was LUCKY enough to find a company to sponsor my H1 but in the 6 years I worked for this Bluechip company, my salary didnt even go up by $3,000!!! In 6 whole years! When I got my greencard and left the company, do you know my salary jumped up by 100%?? Just to give you an idea of how I had been underpaid all the previous years?

If you told me you won the Visa lottery, I would say give it a shot[b], even though it would still be a challenge given the state of the economy. In my honest opinion, Yanks is NOT all that at ALL.[/b] And I am one who has spent the majority of my life abroad (was taken to England since age 2, moved to naija and lived for about 7 years, then came to Yanks). My mom likes to call Yanks "no man's land of America." She can't stand this place (Mom lives in Naija). Don't get me wrong, Yanks has it advantages. But to me, the only thing good about this place is (1) Good education (2) The exposure and work experience (3) Their blue passport, Omo if you come this country and get these three things, I say get the hell out, move back home and start making things happen. It's what I plan on doing.

Even with Naija's challenges (power supply, armed robbers, bad roads, etc), you are still around your own people. You don't have to deal with the ignorance of stereotypes, the racism etc. Very depressing place and it's every man for himself. Unless you are the inferior-complexed kind of person, you would feel lost here. I know I do and I feel relieved anytime I'm out and about and I run into say any of my naija brothers. People I can relate to.

All the best brother.

This sort of outlook always makes me grin

Nigerians!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Winners Of The National Tourism Essay Competition: Ogbaga Sunday, Temitope Steve / Uk Deports 120 Nigerians Over Immigration Offences / Nigerian Man Used Me For Money And Citizenship

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.