Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,557 members, 7,837,145 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 05:45 PM

My Toyota 2009 Top Gasket Got Burnt Yesterday - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / My Toyota 2009 Top Gasket Got Burnt Yesterday (36170 Views)

Stolen Vehicle: Please My Toyota Camry Was Stolen Yesterday In Lagos / Blown Head Gasket: Detailed Explanation / Ondo State Auto Rally Ends As Car Almost Got Burnt During Competition (Pics) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Toyota 2009 Top Gasket Got Burnt Yesterday by handsomeyinka(m): 6:33pm On Oct 29, 2022
Re: My Toyota 2009 Top Gasket Got Burnt Yesterday by omowolewa: 6:33pm On Oct 29, 2022
Overheating
Re: My Toyota 2009 Top Gasket Got Burnt Yesterday by amstamon: 6:34pm On Oct 29, 2022
samintegrity:

Just a month bro and am already getting all series of noise coming from the engine..

It used to be very quiet before, now the noise dey annoy me
check your timing
Re: My Toyota 2009 Top Gasket Got Burnt Yesterday by DadaHammed: 6:34pm On Oct 29, 2022
That car go start to dey swallow money anyhow. Mechanics go come open office for your head. grin

Fix it and sell it.
Re: My Toyota 2009 Top Gasket Got Burnt Yesterday by Potbellyman(m): 6:36pm On Oct 29, 2022
Your can does not have a thermostat
Re: My Toyota 2009 Top Gasket Got Burnt Yesterday by DaddyGngeess(m): 6:36pm On Oct 29, 2022
Just change the gasket and continue using ur car, I have changed too many cars gasket and no issue except one which I will never advise anyone to buy ,na this yeye MDX Acura 2008 model that SUV is very useless

10 Likes

Re: My Toyota 2009 Top Gasket Got Burnt Yesterday by bobbiiee: 6:39pm On Oct 29, 2022
I hardly drive for 15 minutes without looking at the electronic instrument cluster, that is the dashboard. I know not less than 6 people that lost their engines due to overheating.

For me, one of the cheapest ways to maintain your car is by checking your dash board often.

Overheating can be as a result of any of these factors

1. Bad radiator cap
2. Dirty radiator
3. Leaking hose or rad.
4. When your fan is in bad shape.

I hope the engine can be redeemed. At times, its almost beyond redemption when the engine is fried. Hope you have a good hand?

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Toyota 2009 Top Gasket Got Burnt Yesterday by phemmyfour: 6:40pm On Oct 29, 2022
Spray:
Pipe supplying water from radiator to engine got bad and I didn't take notice on-time. So they were limited supply of water.

And I was careless to check my temperature at the dashboard.

I called my mechanic and he said my top gasket got burnt. He said if we get it replaced, it will be alright.

My friend who's in to car dealing business said he can help me sell it and get another car.

What's you take about this? Continue with the car or sell it?
That dashboard prevents many expensive repair. Going forward, make the dashboard your companion

Just sell it, naija mechanics ain't good enough
Re: My Toyota 2009 Top Gasket Got Burnt Yesterday by Bluffly: 6:42pm On Oct 29, 2022
Tokskob2008:

Lol, me sef they think so too. Gasket got burnt, no be to buy another one and solve the overheating problem? why sell and buy another car entirely when it's not that the engine got knocked

Too much money dey worry the op.,.
Problem is some mechs will change the gasket and next thing, oil shortening will commence
Re: My Toyota 2009 Top Gasket Got Burnt Yesterday by oglalasioux(m): 6:43pm On Oct 29, 2022
Change the gasket and your car will be alright. Besides you can't conclude it's the gasket. Try another qualified auto engineer. Your mechanic might be trying to rip you off. You sound like someone who's well to do. Be careful. Mechanics can turn a 5k problem to 500k.

1 Like

Re: My Toyota 2009 Top Gasket Got Burnt Yesterday by Moymoy: 6:46pm On Oct 29, 2022
Oblongata:

Not all mechanics can successfully change the gasket of a vehicle excellently.

That car will never remain the same again…

Not true. The engine in question is a simple, rugged engine. If you are meticulous, go ahead and replace the piston rings as well.
Then drive away.
Re: My Toyota 2009 Top Gasket Got Burnt Yesterday by Moymoy: 6:48pm On Oct 29, 2022
samintegrity:

I want to agree with this comment, My Honda element gasket got burnt.

Changed the gasket and the SUV never remained the same again.

First, it sounds a bit louder than before...
Now am getting some strange whistling sound from engine

Honda and Toyota are two different animals.

2 Likes

Re: My Toyota 2009 Top Gasket Got Burnt Yesterday by Gabriel411: 6:49pm On Oct 29, 2022
Using tap water rather than coolants is the main cause. At boiling point tap water evaporate releasing precipitates that attack rubber and others car component. Next time use radiator coolants.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Toyota 2009 Top Gasket Got Burnt Yesterday by wirinet(m): 6:49pm On Oct 29, 2022
advanceDNA:
Oradinary overheating??.. its a small matter naaa..the usual thing is to change the gasket....

U sound like u have too much money..make we call EFCC?? grin

Ur friend want to rip you off...

E shock me o. Buy a whole new engine just because top cylinder gasket got burnt? Complete gasket that will not cost up to N10k.

4 Likes

Re: My Toyota 2009 Top Gasket Got Burnt Yesterday by DavSagacity(m): 6:52pm On Oct 29, 2022
Our take is the take of your pocket. If you can afford it, sell it and get another one. But more importantly, be more careful and learn to check your dashboard every 200 - 500 m drive
Re: My Toyota 2009 Top Gasket Got Burnt Yesterday by Tfx1: 6:52pm On Oct 29, 2022
Change it
Re: My Toyota 2009 Top Gasket Got Burnt Yesterday by OLULAW: 6:52pm On Oct 29, 2022
May you all know the joy of driving 2022 TOYOTA RAV4 ADVENTURE. Cars should be serviced by technicians trained by the manufacturer at the dealership, annually or after clocking 10,000 from the last day of service (whichever comes first). grin grin grin grin grin grin

3 Likes

Re: My Toyota 2009 Top Gasket Got Burnt Yesterday by brain54(m): 6:52pm On Oct 29, 2022
post=117973152:
Your car's engine operates in extreme conditions with intense heat.
If this heat becomes more than normal, your engine can overheat causing a blown head gasket.
The extra heat results in the cylinder head and engine block expanding too much which results in a failure in the head gasket.
Over sabinus…

Na wetin they ask you be that…?

3 Likes

Re: My Toyota 2009 Top Gasket Got Burnt Yesterday by odionomoike: 6:53pm On Oct 29, 2022
Well let me just tell the OP from my personal experience. I have a 2009 4 cyl camry and suffered similar fate. Before you change the gasket, ensure the engine has cooled down completely before it’s stripped to replace the gasket because if you are so much in a hurry. When you eventually replace the gasket, you wil be experiencing oil shortages in the engine with no visible trace of leaks. I need you to note this but it’s totally safe to replace the gasket and the car would still be fine. Don’t just change the gasket, remember to change out the oil. I am going to dispose my camry soon but it’s been roughly two years usage while monitoring engine oil level always.

3 Likes

Re: My Toyota 2009 Top Gasket Got Burnt Yesterday by BouquiLake: 6:57pm On Oct 29, 2022
Is it Toyota Lorry? What kind of incomplete information have you provided here shocked

Spray post shocked=117853850:
Pipe supplying water from radiator to engine got bad and I didn't take notice on-time. So they were limited supply of water.

I called my mechanic and he said my top gasket got burnt. He said if we get it replaced, it will be alright.

My friend who's in to car dealing business said he can help me sell it and get another car.

Re: My Toyota 2009 Top Gasket Got Burnt Yesterday by arnold82: 7:01pm On Oct 29, 2022
If u insist to change it, message me let's talk i have different cars either for swap or sell
Re: My Toyota 2009 Top Gasket Got Burnt Yesterday by Spray(m): 7:02pm On Oct 29, 2022
bobbiiee:
I hardly drive for 15 minutes without looking at the electronic instrument cluster, that is the dashboard. I know not less than 6 people that lost their engines due to overheating.

For me, one of the cheapest ways to maintain your car is by checking your dash board often.

Overheating can be as a result of these factors

1. Bad radiator cap
2. Dirty radiator
3. Leaking house or rad.
4. When your fan is in bad shape.

I hope the engine can be redeemed. At times, its almost beyond redemption when the engine is fried. Hope you have a good hand?

The issue was from radiator pipe. It's been replaced and gasket too. Everything back to normal

1 Like

Re: My Toyota 2009 Top Gasket Got Burnt Yesterday by gonkin(m): 7:02pm On Oct 29, 2022
wirinet:

E shock me o. Buy a whole new engine just because top cylinder gasket got burnt? Complete gasket that will not cost op to N10k.

Yes ooo, my car that has scarce parts gasket is between 2500 and 10k. Unless the mechanic is a novice the car should run fine. My own that i did myself im smiling.

That means if his engine oil gets black he would still change money. Its a corrola with NZ engine. Nz is a strong engine not even big. Compared to mine. Well its aluminium but if the rings were not affected, fire down.

If i told u i change headgasket with just less than 6k would u believe. Thats was weeks ago.

UNLESS THE ENGINE IS GIVING ISSUES AFTER FIXING, YOULL BE OK. Its not like the engine seized up

Re: My Toyota 2009 Top Gasket Got Burnt Yesterday by Omoboricash(m): 7:06pm On Oct 29, 2022
samintegrity:

I want to agree with this comment, My Honda element gasket got burnt.

Changed the gasket and the SUV never remained the same again.

First, it sounds a bit louder than before...
Now am getting some strange whistling sound from engine
Nothing os wrong in changing the gasket. My 2009 corolla gasket was replaced. It doesn't change the sound of the car neither did i hear any whistling sound.
I will advise you check your catalyst. If the catalyst of your car is removed it will definitely change the sound of your engine car.
Re: My Toyota 2009 Top Gasket Got Burnt Yesterday by iamsolasoul(f): 7:07pm On Oct 29, 2022
advanceDNA:

I dont get you....so the solution is to sell the car just because some mechanics cant change top gasket......ordinary top gasket that you wont enter inside engine...okay be like u be the op's friend

Let’s keep it real they did more than change the gasket then or it’s an aftermarket gasket your supposed to file down the block as well to get an even surface. There’s a machine for that.

We need state of the art tools and factories in Africa.
Re: My Toyota 2009 Top Gasket Got Burnt Yesterday by alizma: 7:09pm On Oct 29, 2022
Spray:

Even if you must sell it, get it fixed first. That way you will be selling a working car not a scrap like car, I hope you get my point

1 Like

Re: My Toyota 2009 Top Gasket Got Burnt Yesterday by justdream(m): 7:10pm On Oct 29, 2022
Daz how my engine issues started o. Honda 2008. Blew tops, dint notice and wen i did, i jus pour water strait into the radiator, naso e fry am. Continued using it laidat till e knock beta engine.
Well... Had to call a mechanic from Kaduna to Abuja to overhaul the engine. Been using it since March with no issues, except the "sound" has never been the same. But e still dey deliver mileages upon mileages
Re: My Toyota 2009 Top Gasket Got Burnt Yesterday by emekuzi: 7:13pm On Oct 29, 2022
Sorry for your troubles. My top gasket got burnt a few months back. I fixed it with a new Briscoe original spare. Engine has been running smooth and no issues. Just ensure your mechanic is Legit and your spares are original. Best of luck man.

Spray:

1 Like

Re: My Toyota 2009 Top Gasket Got Burnt Yesterday by CaptainAyub: 7:13pm On Oct 29, 2022
jaxxy:
Always observe ur instrument cluster readings. it updates u about necessary information before hand.

in bmw's or more intelligent cars a malfunction alarm would ring to get ur attention to check ur car information.
My 2001 Golf4 will start displaying STOP with a small alarm once coolant reduces to in the water reservoir due to overheat.
E no go even wait for the temperature to rise sef

1 Like

Re: My Toyota 2009 Top Gasket Got Burnt Yesterday by Whois(m): 7:13pm On Oct 29, 2022
Don't waste time doing trial and error, just get another engine. Speaking from experience
Re: My Toyota 2009 Top Gasket Got Burnt Yesterday by Jacobadelove444: 7:18pm On Oct 29, 2022
My go and get a good mechanic to change your top Gasket it will be ok

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Bugatti Unveils Bugatti X PG Craft Carbon Fiber Bicycle, Sells For N12million / Top 3 Auction Companies Nigerians Buy Tokunbo Cars From / Man Who Got Burnt On 3rd Mainland Bridge Is Dead - PHOTO

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.