Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,763 members, 7,820,657 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 06:55 PM

Roman Catholic Is Not A Church, But A Modernised Way Of Idolatry? - Religion (26) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Roman Catholic Is Not A Church, But A Modernised Way Of Idolatry? (39866 Views)

Putting God First: Modern-Day Idolatry Among Christians Today / A List Of False Teachings In The Roman Catholic Church / Physically In Church. But Mind Elsewhere - Please Help (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (23) (24) (25) (26) (27) (28) (29) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Roman Catholic Is Not A Church, But A Modernised Way Of Idolatry? by Lady2(f): 7:14pm On Nov 20, 2008
The bible says the DAY nor the HOUR knoweth no man but we wil know the SEASON. Its not that hard to properly quote the bible is it?

Well the season has been there for 2000 years now hasn't it?
Lol, you're ridiculous.

Arent we all sick and tired of what the church purports to teach? Since when did the teachings of the church supercede the teachings of the bible and the words of Christ?

1) The Church doesn't teach against the Bible, you lack understanding of the Bible
2) The Bible calls the Church (not the Bible) the foundation and pillar of truth. 1 Timothy 3:15

The Bible is the Bible based on the authority of the Church. If the Bible is infallible, the Church must also be infallible. You follow the books of the Bible because the Church defined it to be scripture.
You can deny it all you want, but you very well know that the Bible didn't fall from the sky and that they writers did not write to the letters to be scripture. The Church defined it scripture. The Bible was compiled for the Church, the Church was not founded for the Bible. Don't mix it up.

So you can be tired of hearing it, but the Bible has asked you to believe it.

It's funny sha, even the Bible teaches against "Bible alone"

Matt. 28:20 - "observe ALL I have commanded," but, as we see in John 20:30; 21:25, not ALL Jesus taught is in Scripture. So there must be things outside of Scripture that we must observe. This disproves "Bible alone" theology

Mark 16:15 - Jesus commands the apostles to "preach," not write, and only three apostles wrote. The others who did not write were not less faithful to Jesus, because Jesus gave them no directive to write. There is no evidence in the Bible or elsewhere that Jesus intended the Bible to be sole authority of the Christian faith.

Luke 1:1-4 - Luke acknowledges that the faithful have already received the teachings of Christ, and is writing his Gospel only so that they "realize the certainty of the teachings you have received." Luke writes to verify the oral tradition they already received

John 20:30; 21:25 - Jesus did many other things not written in the Scriptures. These have been preserved through the oral apostolic tradition and they are equally a part of the Deposit of Faith

Acts 8:30-31; Heb. 5:12 - these verses show that we need help in interpreting the Scriptures. We cannot interpret them infallibly on our own. We need divinely appointed leadership within the Church to teach us.

Acts 15:1-14 – Peter resolves the Church’s first doctrinal issue regarding circumcision without referring to Scriptures.

1 Cor. 11:2 - Paul commends the faithful to obey apostolic tradition, and not Scripture alone

Phil. 4:9 - Paul says that what you have learned and received and heard and seen in me, do. There is nothing ever about obeying Scripture alone.

1 Thess. 2:13 – Paul says, “when you received the word of God, which you heard from us, ” How can the Bible be teaching first century Christians that only the Bible is their infallible source of teaching if, at the same time, oral revelation was being given to them as well? Protestants can’t claim that there is one authority (Bible) while allowing two sources of authority (Bible and oral revelation).

1 Thess. 3:10 - Paul wants to see the Thessalonians face to face and supply what is lacking. His letter is not enough

2 Peter 1:20 - interpreting Scripture is not a matter of one's own private interpretation. Therefore, it must be a matter of "public" interpretation of the Church. The Divine Word needs a Divine Interpreter. Private judgment leads to divisions, and this is why there are 30,000 different Protestant denominations

Look you better start adhering to the Bible o.

1 Like

Re: Roman Catholic Is Not A Church, But A Modernised Way Of Idolatry? by DavidDylan(m): 9:01pm On Nov 20, 2008
~Lady~:

Well the season has been there for 2000 years now hasn't it?
Lol, you're ridiculous.

you make no sense either. If the apostles of 2000 years lived as if the season was tomorrow, why shld we refuse to do otherwise?  undecided
Can you reason at all?
What do you understand by the bible's admonition to "watch and pray"?

~Lady~:

1) The Church doesn't teach against the Bible, you lack understanding of the Bible

You still havent told us how purgatory came about.

~Lady~:

2) The Bible calls the Church (not the Bible) the foundation and pillar of truth. 1 Timothy 3:15

1. Read that verse again - the "living God" is the "pillar and ground of the truth" not the church.

2. We know what the church means - the body of Christ . . . and where 2 or 3 are gathered together in his name . . . a church is already formed. 1 Tim3:15 wasnt talking about the ecumenical church system of this world.

~Lady~:

The Bible is the Bible based on the authority of the Church. If the Bible is infallible, the Church must also be infallible. You follow the books of the Bible because the Church defined it to be scripture.

shocked

no comment.

~Lady~:

2 Peter 1:20 - interpreting Scripture is not a matter of one's own private interpretation. Therefore, it must be a matter of "public" interpretation of the Church. The Divine Word needs a Divine Interpreter. Private judgment leads to divisions, and this is why there are 30,000 different Protestant denominations

2 Peter 1:20 says nothing of the sort. Rather verse 21 explains verse 20, prophecies in the scriptures did not originate from man but through the Holy Spirit moving on Holy men. Therefore, the Holy Spirit is the only one who can interprete such prophecies.

2 Peter 1 says absolutely nothing about an organised religion interpreting prophecy.

Brother Paul in 1 Cor 14 tells us how prophecies and tongues should be handled among brethren . . .

29Let the prophets speak two or three, and let the other judge.

30[b]If any thing be revealed to another that sitteth by[/b], let the first hold his peace.

31For ye may all prophesy one by one, that all may learn, and all may be comforted.

32And the spirits of the prophets are subject to the prophets.

Prophecy and interpretation is given by the inspiration of the holy Ghost. Verse 30 is clear . . . interpretation is given ONLY to whom the prophecy is revealed by the Holy Ghost NOT the church.

Sorry, you've been deluded too long but as the Lord liveth we wont sit by and watch you delude others too.
Re: Roman Catholic Is Not A Church, But A Modernised Way Of Idolatry? by Lady2(f): 10:05pm On Nov 20, 2008
you make no sense either. If the apostles of 2000 years lived as if the season was tomorrow, why shld we refuse to do otherwise?
Can you reason at all?
What do you understand by the bible's admonition to "watch and pray"?

I have no problem with watch and pray, I only have a problem with you using that as cause to judge the Church as if you know the precise day, hour, minute, and second of the end. That is the context you used it.

[You still havent told us how purgatory came about.
/quote]

Oh sir, I have many times, but you just are too blind to see. You still haven't "interpreted" the Bible verses that were posted to you. Simply posting another verse to state what your position is does not refute the Bible verses that have been quoted to you.
I would really like for you to interpret the verses posted for you.

. Read that verse again - the "living God" is the "pillar and ground of the truth" not the church.

Ok, let me post it for you plainly to see.

<<15if I am delayed, you will know how people ought to conduct themselves in God's household, which is the church of the living God, the pillar and foundation of the truth.

I bolded Church for you to see, hope you can see clearly. The Church of the living God is the pillar and foundation of truth. As in THE CHURCH is the pillar and foundation of truth. Not the "living God" but the living God's CHURCH. The Church belongs to no one else but God, so yes sir it is the Church.

2. We know what the church means - the body of Christ . . . and where 2 or 3 are gathered together in his name . . . a church is already formed. 1 Tim3:15 wasnt talking about the ecumenical church system of this world.

The church is one body and mind, in one belief, united in ONE BELIEF. Having a belief of your own excludes you from the Church. The Church is a body, and a body has one head, and one blood type. The head will be Christ. The blood will be the belief. How can a body function when the leg wants to have a different blood system than the rest of the body?

My leg cannot be attached to David, and I can still call it mine. Your leg is your leg, in union with your body and mine is mine in union with my body. If the Church is a body it really will have One Belief. That is why I say that there are different bodies of Christ.
Now God says where two or three are gathered he is there in their midst, but he didn't say that where two or three are gathered a church is formed.

no comment.

What? You lack basic comprehension? Simply say so.

If the Bible is infallible and the Church defined the Bible, wouldn't that make the Church infallible? But forget that the Bible already called the Church the pillar and foundation of truth, truth is infallible.

2 Peter 1:20 says nothing of the sort. Rather verse 21 explains verse 20, prophecies in the scriptures did not originate from man but through the Holy Spirit moving on Holy men. Therefore, the Holy Spirit is the only one who can interprete such prophecies.

2 Peter 1 says absolutely nothing about an organised religion interpreting prophecy

Let me post it for you to see.

<<<20Above all, you must understand that no prophecy of Scripture came about by the prophet's own interpretation.

As in you cannot interpret it just for yourself as you David are doing.

Prophecy and interpretation is given by the inspiration of the holy Ghost. Verse 30 is clear . . . interpretation is given ONLY to whom the prophecy is revealed by the Holy Ghost NOT the church.

Sorry, you've been deluded too long but as the Lord liveth we wont sit by and watch you delude others too.

Lol, I love my delusions, and many others are deluded with me, sorry but you stand alone.

Re: Roman Catholic Is Not A Church, But A Modernised Way Of Idolatry? by shotster50(m): 10:08pm On Nov 20, 2008
David , David, David

I think this argument is really pointless. No ones willing to give in so why dont you call it a day I dont really see why there should be this divisions in our so called Christianity. Nothing ever, i repeat ever made by man is perfect - The Catholic church as an institution, The  Protestants, etc . I do not think salvation is about which one you belong rather it is what you do here on earth that matters.
Re: Roman Catholic Is Not A Church, But A Modernised Way Of Idolatry? by DavidDylan(m): 10:17pm On Nov 20, 2008
shotster50:

David , David, David

I think this argument is really pointless. No ones willing to give in so why don't you call it a day I don't really see why there should be this divisions in our so called Christianity. Nothing ever, i repeat ever made by man is perfect - The Catholic church as an institution, The  Protestants, etc . I do not think salvation is about which one you belong rather it is what you do here on earth that matters.

i'm not arguing, merely setting things straight.
You are right, the church isnt perfect . . . one reason why i don't claim a denomination myself. Wherever i go where the undiluted word of God is preached, there i call "church". So was it in the days of the apostles and so will i live by.

@ lady, your last post is all over the place. Work on it.
Re: Roman Catholic Is Not A Church, But A Modernised Way Of Idolatry? by carmelily: 11:22am On Nov 21, 2008
shotster50:

David , David, David

I think this argument is really pointless. No ones willing to give in so why don't you call it a day I don't really see why there should be this divisions in our so called Christianity.[/b]Nothing ever, i repeat ever made by man is perfect - The Catholic church as an institution, The  Protestants, etc .[b] I do not think salvation is about which one you belong rather it is what you do here on earth that matters.

I think shotster has quite beautifully summarised everything i've been trying to say with so many words and sweat in about 2 months now! EVERY MAN TO HIS OWN O!Those that want to take the Bible's message literally, word for word. Ride on. I don't. Those that want to speak where the Bible doesn't. Ride on. I don't. Those that practise more "Paulism" than "Christ-likeness". Ride on. I don't. Those that are quite proud to identify themselves with a tag, today's meaning of  "Christian". Ride on. I don't. Those that identify themselves as members of a "denomination". Ride on. I don't.

As for the argument about Buddhists and Taoists and Muslims going to Hell/Heaven. How many "christians" qualify to go to Heaven? which one of the over 30,000 confused "christian" sects (which are about as different from one another as Islam is from any one of them) has the blueprint of the way to Heaven? Do all 30,000+ sects qualify? so funny.

This thread is tired. It gets more ludicrous by the minute.
Re: Roman Catholic Is Not A Church, But A Modernised Way Of Idolatry? by thetruth90: 1:29pm On Nov 21, 2008
catholicism is the mother of all religions. protestanism is an evil that always attack the holy catholic church. unemployment in nigeria gave birth to the increased surge in pentecostalism. the result is all around us for all to see.
Re: Roman Catholic Is Not A Church, But A Modernised Way Of Idolatry? by Horus(m): 1:59pm On Nov 21, 2008
The mother off christianity in the western world (New world) is the Roman catholic. All religious denomination are splinter group of the Roman Catholic church and thus should be refered to as sects or cult.The Roman Catholic got the name from the ancient Egiptian, Sphinx known to the early european invaders as the Holy cat which they refered to as Cat holistic or Catholic. Holy cat, Cat Holistic to Catholics.The point is that Jews, Christians, Muslims, Hindus, Buddhism and all others, are perpetrating a fraud and are guilty of misrepresentation for the simple fact that they refuse to give due recognition to the source of their teaching, Egipt. Not the Egipt you see today in north eastern Africa and not the impersonators who reside there today, but pre-dynastic Egipt, which birthed the 46 dynasties.This is where all these religious doctines, churches, mosques, Synagogues, freemasonary, chapel, science, Magic, Logdes etc, etc get the teachings and stories from. And today this is spoon fed back to the people in the form of religion as if the as the originators of these things the teach, in so doing lying and deceiving the whole world, especially the Negroids(the black woolly hair people) whose ancestors are the deities mention in the religions be it in Torah, Bible or your Koran.
Re: Roman Catholic Is Not A Church, But A Modernised Way Of Idolatry? by Chrisbenogor(m): 3:18pm On Nov 21, 2008
I recently had an interesting chat with a cousin of mine who will soon become a priest.
In as many words he could tell me that they the clergy believe all bible kini less than the congregation because after they go through the truth of the origins of the bible and the theology of religion some people even drop out.
I asked him why then are they not open to people about these things and he gave me an analogy. He said when we were younger we were often told not to whistle at night, and the reason was not because our parents did not want us to know the real reason behind it which was of course not to disturb the peace of the night and nothing to do with gruesome masks was we would not be able to handle that information at the young age.
He went further to say he and most clergy agree that hell is a really absurd concept but some people especially here in Nigeria need that fear to do the right things.
I was actually dumbfounded.
Re: Roman Catholic Is Not A Church, But A Modernised Way Of Idolatry? by mazaje(m): 5:37pm On Nov 21, 2008
Horus:

The mother off christianity in the western world (New world) is the Roman catholic. All religious denomination are splinter group of the Roman Catholic church and thus should be refered to as sects or cult.The Roman Catholic got the name from the ancient Egiptian, Sphinx known to the early european invaders as the Holy cat which they refered to as Cat holistic or Catholic. Holy cat, Cat Holistic to Catholics.The point is that Jews, Christians, Muslims, Hindus, Buddhism and all others, are perpetrating a fraud and are guilty of misrepresentation for the simple fact that they refuse to give due recognition to the source of their teaching, Egipt. Not the Egipt you see today in north eastern Africa and not the impersonators who reside there today, but pre-dynastic Egipt, which birthed the 46 dynasties.This is where all these religious doctines, churches, mosques, Synagogues, freemasonary, chapel, science, Magic, Logdes etc, etc get the teachings and stories from. And today this is spoon fed back to the people in the form of religion as if the as the originators of these things the teach, in so doing lying and deceiving the whole world, especially the Negroids(the black woolly hair people) whose ancestors are the deities mention in the religions be it in Torah, Bible or your Koran.

Horus what is this?
Re: Roman Catholic Is Not A Church, But A Modernised Way Of Idolatry? by Omenuko(m): 3:19pm On Nov 22, 2008

from mazaje
Horus what is this?

Exactly, sounds like more nonsense. I like how this guy posts this 'all over the board' piece and doesn't explain what it means, doesn't name the source, and makes up words (i.e., Cat Holistic). . . lol, come on. If you post something, try to make sure it makes sense. Scratch that, try to make sure that it makes sense to other people, because I swear. . . .i be like say some people dey for there own world and can rationalize anything without critical analysis and/or research. I'm sure this guy copied this from some wacko internet site and thought it interesting to paste here. Ara ga gba ndi ara, chai.
Re: Roman Catholic Is Not A Church, But A Modernised Way Of Idolatry? by Horus(m): 4:22pm On Nov 22, 2008
Re: Roman Catholic Is Not A Church, But A Modernised Way Of Idolatry? by mazaje(m): 12:17am On Nov 23, 2008
Horus:

Source: http://www.hypnotiqueolmecpunch.org/black_nobility_cover_up1.htm

grin grin grin grin grin grin are you for real? what does this link prove? stop believing in too much conspiracies. . . . .
Re: Roman Catholic Is Not A Church, But A Modernised Way Of Idolatry? by olabowale(m): 9:56pm On Nov 23, 2008
Teen 'Buddha' Returns to JungleBy BINAJ GURUBACHARYA, AP

posted: 21 HOURS 38 MINUTES AGOcomments: 350filed under: World NewsPrintShareText SizeAAAKATMANDU, Nepal (Nov. 22) - A Nepalese teenager revered by many as a reincarnation of Buddha has returned to the jungle to meditate after emerging for less than two weeks, officials said Saturday.

Ram Bahadur Bamjan, 18, reappeared on Nov. 10 after several months of meditation to bless thousands of his followers, speaking to them on at least two occasions.

Is He Divine?

Binod Joshi, AP6 photos A teenager revered by his followers as a reincarnation of Buddha returned to the jungles of Nepal after emerging for less than two weeks, officials said Saturday. Ram Bahadur Bamjan emerged from the jungle on Nov. 10, prompting thousands of pilgrims to seek his blessing. Followers believe he had spent the last three years meditating without food and water.

(Note: Please disable your pop-up blocker): I wished I could have provided his pictures! But he is quite a handsome young man. Long flowing hairs. He reminded me of supposed pictures that we see of another earlier person given the same claim of "Divinity," by those who label themselves as adherents of the religion named after him!

He made his last appearance on Friday and then returned to the jungle to meditate, said Biswo Prakash Newpane, a government administrator in the area. It was not clear when he would return again.

His followers lined up near the jungle of Ratanpur, about 100 miles south of Katmandu, to be blessed by Bamjan. He tapped the believers on their forehead but did not speak to them individually.

The followers believe he has been meditating without food and water since he was first spotted in the jungles of southern Nepal in 2005. Believers say he spent months without moving, sitting with his eyes closed beneath a tree.
Buddhism, which has about 325 million followers, teaches that every soul is reincarnated after death in another bodily form.

But several Buddhist scholars have been skeptical of the claims that Bamjan is a reincarnation of Siddhartha Gautama, who was born in southwestern Nepal roughly 2,500 years ago and became revered as the Buddha, or Enlightened One.
Rakesh, a Buddhist scholar, told The Associated Press last week that being Buddha means the last birth and the highest level that can be achieved and there can be no reincarnation of Buddha, even though Buddhists believe in life after death.

Copyright 2008 The Associated Press. The information contained in the AP news report may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or otherwise distributed without the prior written authority of The Associated Press. Active hyperlinks have been inserted by AOL.

2008-11-22 16:40:35
You Choose the News:

Promote this story
on Propeller 1.0
rating
Re: Roman Catholic Is Not A Church, But A Modernised Way Of Idolatry? by carmelily: 9:31am On Nov 24, 2008
@olabowale

what's the point you want to make?

@chrisbenogor

makes sense. I recently read a Jehovah's Witness publication about Bible versions and I wondered why churches don't teach their congregations stuff like that.
Re: Roman Catholic Is Not A Church, But A Modernised Way Of Idolatry? by Chrisbenogor(m): 11:55am On Nov 24, 2008
@carmelily
Trust me when I say I was amazed. They enter there with the intention of learning about God but by the time they are through they have a bigger job which is to protect this truth from falling into the hands of the wrong set of people in this case the masses. So they threaten people with these hell stories so they behave. But to intellectual minds the gamble is a lot different because he has to justify why someone who is born a muslim should go to hell.
The jesus story gets even more and more difficult to piece together. If such a great man walked the earth at a time when documentation was well underway already why are there no independent writings of what he did.
Why were the first five gospels written by unknown authors be ascribed matthew mark luke and john when even the writers did not indicate who they were?
Mark which is the first book was obviously written by a roman and he made so many mistakes, matthew and luke copied from mark and from another source called Q, many christians don't even know about all this, if you look at this whole issue critically you will find a web that they have spawned and spawned to cover up all these lies and half truths.
In fact I don tire.
Re: Roman Catholic Is Not A Church, But A Modernised Way Of Idolatry? by Horus(m): 12:38pm On Nov 24, 2008
TRADITIONAL ROMAN CATHOLIC CHURCH PROVEN TO BE A PRACTICE OF WHITE MAGIC WITCHCRAFT -- WORDS AND SYMBOLS TELL THE STORY!
Source: http://www.cuttingedge.org/news/n1334.cfm
Re: Roman Catholic Is Not A Church, But A Modernised Way Of Idolatry? by carmelily: 1:51pm On Nov 24, 2008
@ ~Lady~

Your responses always strike the same emotion in me. I don't know the word for it, or even if the word exists but it's a mixture-feeling of pity and amusement. i'm not being funny. it's true.

These quotes are from you:

Christ is the founder of Christianity, and Christianity is a sect, there are not meant to be many sects of Christianity, but Christianity itself is a sect.

Then what did he do when he instituted the Church? Did he not do that?

Do church and christianity have the same meaning in your book?

Did Christ ever use the word "christianity"?

Does "church" mean sect or religion?

Your confusion is so TOTAL.

Your logic (picking directly from your 2 quotes above) produces only one useful idea based on these premises/syllogism:

a. Christianity is a sect
b. Christ instituted the Church
c. Christ did not institute Christianity
Re: Roman Catholic Is Not A Church, But A Modernised Way Of Idolatry? by Ify3: 2:01pm On Nov 24, 2008
Folks,

This is becoming more interesting than ever. BUT, in the course of learning let us not judge or condemn. Leave those to the mighty discernment of God. Let none take this as a betrayal of self or religion, but as a reformative adventure.

Authorities in churches does not matter (whatever name it's called). They are instituted for orderliness and proper organisation.

There are two things here: idolatry and attitude of people. If we should take the biblical principles, no image likeness of Christ or heavenly bodies should be in existence among true Christians. If out of ignorance you have them (even the pictures) and are attached to them you refer to them as God.

Idolatry is not only worshipping the images. When your wears, friends, visitors, work, etc. could stop you from worshipping God, they are your gods.

To get the ultimate truth, we should always read the Bible, meditate in it day and night, and always be thirsty to do whatever that is contained therein.

MORE OPINIONS.
Re: Roman Catholic Is Not A Church, But A Modernised Way Of Idolatry? by carmelily: 2:10pm On Nov 24, 2008
@Chrisben

I mentioned the Matthew, Mark, Luke and John thing earlier on in this thread too.

No tire. You owe yourself the truth. Keep on searching. Is atheism the last bus stop for you? I mean that question in a non-judgemental sense. Please what's ur e.mail? i'll go see right away if you displayed it. PM me ok.
Re: Roman Catholic Is Not A Church, But A Modernised Way Of Idolatry? by Lady2(f): 7:18pm On Nov 24, 2008
Do church and christianity have the same meaning in your book?

Did Christ ever use the word "christianity"?

Does "church" mean sect or religion?

Your confusion is so TOTAL.

Your logic (picking directly from your 2 quotes above) produces only one useful idea based on these premises/syllogism:

a. Christianity is a sect
b. Christ instituted the Church
c. Christ did not institute Christianity

Chrisitianity is the name of the belief of the people who are in the Church.
Christ did not ever use the word Christian either, but the apostles did. English language is not that hard. You may not understand it.
You're no longer speaking of the Catholic Church or christianity, you are now trying to defy the english language.

Well you may not know the meaning of sect but let me provide it for you.

SECT:
1. a body of persons adhering to a particular religious faith; a religious denomination.
2. a group regarded as heretical or as deviating from a generally accepted religious tradition.
3. (in the sociology of religion) a Christian denomination characterized by insistence on strict qualifications for membership, as distinguished from the more inclusive groups called churches.
4. any group, party, or faction united by a specific doctrine or under a doctrinal leader.

Now if Christians have one belief, then that would make them a sect, just as Islam is a sect, and atheism is very much a sect too.
In everything we have in this life, there is a sect to it. If you have a common belief or traditions or faith with someone else, you are a sect. Even if you are not defined, you are still a sect.
Even you are a part of the sect. If you have the belief that Jesus is Lord, then you are in the sect.
Re: Roman Catholic Is Not A Church, But A Modernised Way Of Idolatry? by carmelily: 10:57am On Nov 25, 2008
~Lady~:

Chrisitianity is the name of the belief of the people who are in the Church.

enh enh? is that so?

Christ did not ever use the word Christian either, but the apostles did.

And the servant is greater than his master? undecided

English language is not that hard. You may not understand it.
You're no longer speaking of the Catholic Church or christianity, you are now trying to defy the english language.
Well you may not know the meaning of sect but let me provide it for you.

eeeh ya. tisha, tisha (apologies to Fela)

Even you are a part of the sect. If you have the belief that Jesus is Lord, then you are in the sect

And so are muslims too? They also believe Jesus is Lord.
Re: Roman Catholic Is Not A Church, But A Modernised Way Of Idolatry? by Chrisbenogor(m): 5:07pm On Nov 25, 2008
@carm
I do not think I have a bus stop, learning is an everyday process and if ever light of evidence comes that things should be different I would examine the evidence and then decide.
My biggest challenge though will be how to raise my kids in this world of growing theism, should I lie to shield them because they cannot really understand. Hopefully I will come up with something.
Re: Roman Catholic Is Not A Church, But A Modernised Way Of Idolatry? by Lady2(f): 8:27pm On Nov 25, 2008
enh enh? is that so?

Yes, it is so.

And the servant is greater than his master?

SO we shouldn't listen to the apostles, if that is the case then you shouldn't have any regards for St. Paul's writings, infact you should toss it out of your Bible because the words were not spoken byChrist. Also you shoud toss out some parts of the Gospel because all the words spoken there are not Jesus.

And so are muslims too? They also believe Jesus is Lord.

If muslims believe that Jesus is Lord, then they are not muslims, they are Christians. Muslims absolutely do not believe that Jesus is Lord.

But muslims are also a sect, they have their own same beliefs.

Look girl, you need to stop running away from yourself. You are afraid to stand for anything, wanting to be by yourself and be lukewarm, God already said he will spit out those who are lukewarm.
You don't want to be Christian, you don't want to be anything. Stop being afraid. STOP RUNNING FROM YOURSELF.
Re: Roman Catholic Is Not A Church, But A Modernised Way Of Idolatry? by DavidDylan(m): 8:28pm On Nov 25, 2008
~Lady~:

SO we shouldn't listen to the apostles, if that is the case then you shouldn't have any regards for St. Paul's writings, infact you should toss it out of your Bible because the words were not spoken byChrist. Also you shoud toss out some parts of the Gospel because all the words spoken there are not Jesus.

We know that Paul defered to the authority of the Holy Spirit at every moment. So in no way was Paul greater than his master even though he wrote so many epistles.
Re: Roman Catholic Is Not A Church, But A Modernised Way Of Idolatry? by Lady2(f): 8:34pm On Nov 25, 2008
We know that Paul defered to the authority of the Holy Spirit at every moment. So in no way was Paul greater than his master even though he wrote so many epistles.

And rightly so should it be that because Paul was acting on the authority of the Holy Spirit that what he says rightfully stands. He isn't greater than Jesus, but just because Jesus didn't speak those words does not make them irrelevant. Carmelily is making the word Christian irrelevant because it wasn't spoke by Christ. In so doing she marks the Holy Spirit as irrelevant, because all that was done by the apostles and disciples and everyone, is by the Holy Spirit. If they're words are irrelevant, then so is the Holy Spirit.
Re: Roman Catholic Is Not A Church, But A Modernised Way Of Idolatry? by DavidDylan(m): 8:37pm On Nov 25, 2008
~Lady~:

And rightly so should it be that because Paul was acting on the authority of the Holy Spirit that what he says rightfully stands. He isn't greater than Jesus, but just because Jesus didn't speak those words does not make them irrelevant. Carmelily is making the word Christian irrelevant because it wasn't spoke by Christ. In so doing she marks the Holy Spirit as irrelevant, because all that was done by the apostles and disciples and everyone, is by the Holy Spirit. If they're words are irrelevant, then so is the Holy Spirit.

the term "christian" is a mere label that means nothing. It is the heart that matters and not the label. Notice that the label was coined NOT by the church but by those outside who thought they acted just like Jesus.
Re: Roman Catholic Is Not A Church, But A Modernised Way Of Idolatry? by Lady2(f): 8:41pm On Nov 25, 2008
the term "christian" is a mere label that means nothing. It is the heart that matters and not the label. Notice that the label was coined NOT by the church but by those outside who thought they acted just like Jesus.

First of all the Bible doesn't say that the Christians were called Christians by others, it only states that at Antioch the apostles were first called Christians. We only assume that it wasn't the apostles that coined the term Christian. But even at that Christian is a term that means follower of Christ. Now unless you and Carmelily are trying to say that "follower of Christ" is irrelevant or means nothing.
Re: Roman Catholic Is Not A Church, But A Modernised Way Of Idolatry? by DavidDylan(m): 8:49pm On Nov 25, 2008
~Lady~:

First of all the Bible doesn't say that the Christians were called Christians by others, it only states that at Antioch the apostles were first called Christians. We only assume that it wasn't the apostles that coined the term Christian. But even at that Christian is a term that means follower of Christ. Now unless you and Carmelily are trying to say that "follower of Christ" is irrelevant or means nothing.

- It is clear the disciples did not give themselves that name if not it would have read - and the disciples refered to themselves as christians first in antioch.

- The term christian means Christ-like not just a "follower". you can be a follower and not a doer.

- I regard the term "christian" (as used today) as entirely misleading because it trivializes the spiritual import of that name. Not everyone who regards himself as a "christian" is actually Christlike, infact the vast majority are not.

- Whether you think my point makes "follower of Christ" irrelevant or not is of no consequence. Christ is not interested in what label you use. It is the state of your heart that matters to Him.
Re: Roman Catholic Is Not A Church, But A Modernised Way Of Idolatry? by carmelily: 9:06am On Nov 26, 2008
~Lady~:

You seem to be getting to understand me in your own slow way. When i read that your "lukewarm" sh*t. I laughed. I laughed because you don't even know me and you didn't have an idea about my beliefs. I've been screaming on top of my lungs, telling you that I stick to what Christ did and what He said. That's what "Christ-like" means.

This blind dependence on the "Holy Spirit" is what has thrown your Christianity into the big, black hole it's in today. I am free to act like a total slowpoke and attribute my actions to the "Holy Spirit".

You, my ~Lady~, are the one who really needs to find herself. I found true freedom when i did. If Christ didn't endorse it, it's not for me. Sorry.
Re: Roman Catholic Is Not A Church, But A Modernised Way Of Idolatry? by Chrisbenogor(m): 10:54am On Nov 26, 2008
Hehehehe
Me I am getting skeptical about Paul's conversion.
Re: Roman Catholic Is Not A Church, But A Modernised Way Of Idolatry? by carmelily: 1:20pm On Nov 26, 2008
Chrisbenogor:

Hehehehe
Me I am getting skeptical about Paul's conversion.

Stop being cute lol grin

(1) (2) (3) ... (23) (24) (25) (26) (27) (28) (29) (Reply)

Oyedepo: If Invited To Become Nigeria’s President, I Will Consider It A Demotion / This Pastor Made An Accurate Prophecy About Naira Marley In 2022 (video) / "Women Who Wear Trousers, Eyelashes Are Sinners" - Pastor Lazarus Muoka

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 153
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.