Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,092 members, 7,818,277 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 11:43 AM

Fashola Condemns Jonathan's Action Over Salami ! - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Fashola Condemns Jonathan's Action Over Salami ! (4907 Views)

Fashola Condemns Attacks On Jonathan / Governor Fashola Condemns Military Attack On BRT / Fashola Condemns Blocking Of Major Roads During Dame Patience's Visit To Lagos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Fashola Condemns Jonathan's Action Over Salami ! by OmoLisabi(m): 7:29pm On Aug 23, 2011
Beaf:

[size=30pt]Have you wondered why none of these lawyers has taken the matter to court[/size]? The reason they haven't is that the action was 100% constitutional.
Anybody saying the opposite should prove, not go around screaming purely emotional nonsense like mad people.

The fact is that Salami was bent and it is those in whose favour he was bent that are making empty noises.
You have been known as a deceitful and dubious personality on nl, the bolded is a Fact to your height of Recklessness, Dubiousness and Fraudulent Character, For your Info read this
[size=20pt]Salami: SERAP sues FG, NJC over alleged unlawful removal[/size]

Meanwhile the Socio-Economic Rights and Accountability Project (SERAP) has dragged the Federal Government and the National Judicial Council (NJC) to Court over alleged “unlawful suspension and removal of Justice Ayo Salami as President of the Court of Appeal (PCA).”

Joined as parties to the suit No FHC/IKJ/CS/174/211 filed today before the Federal High Court in Ikeja are: President Goodluck Jonathan; Attorney General of the Federation and Minister of Justice, Mohammed Adoke and the National Judicial Council (NJC).

SERAP in its suit is praying the court among others for

A DECLARATION that the suspension of Honourable Justice Ayo Salami, President Court of Appeal (PCA) by the National Judicial Council (NJC) without due process of law, and despite the reports of the NJC’s two committees exonerating him of all charges against him is null, ultra vires, void and unconstitutional as it violates his right to a fair hearing guaranteed by Sections 36 and 21(b) of the Third Schedule of the 1999 Constitution (as amended) and Article 7 of the African Charter on Human and Peoples’ Rights (Ratification and Enforcement) Act (CAP A9) Laws of the Federation of Nigeria, 2004, and Article 14 the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights to which Nigeria is a state party.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2011/08/salami-jonathan-wrong-nba/Mr Dubious and Fraud, Please React. Ole ifo
Re: Fashola Condemns Jonathan's Action Over Salami ! by Beaf: 7:31pm On Aug 23, 2011
^
Nice. Can we now wait for the outcome? cool
Re: Fashola Condemns Jonathan's Action Over Salami ! by OmoLisabi(m): 7:34pm On Aug 23, 2011
texazzpete:

When will you EVER admit GEJ did something wrong?
[size=19pt]Oga Texaco, I promise that will never happen, beaf will never accept Gej is a Murderer even if he Find him Chewing Human Head, He is a Fraudster like his Paymaster[/size]

Beaf:

^
You don change mouth now, after i don expose your lies abi? [size=40pt]Mr Deceitfulness [/size]
Re: Fashola Condemns Jonathan's Action Over Salami ! by Beaf: 7:35pm On Aug 23, 2011
^
If you like, type in size 100 font, it wouldn't change Salami's suspension.
Re: Fashola Condemns Jonathan's Action Over Salami ! by itiswell1(m): 7:46pm On Aug 23, 2011
Reno Omigho Omokri A.K.A beaf, na here u dey?
Re: Fashola Condemns Jonathan's Action Over Salami ! by OmoLisabi(m): 7:47pm On Aug 23, 2011
Beaf:

^
If you like, type in size 100 font, it wouldn't change Salami's suspension.
[size=20pt]If you run for 100 years, The law will soon catch up with you and all your fraudulent Activities omokhiri on afroscience will send to Jail[/size]
Re: Fashola Condemns Jonathan's Action Over Salami ! by Beaf: 7:51pm On Aug 23, 2011
Lol! Someone please put the kids to bed.
Re: Fashola Condemns Jonathan's Action Over Salami ! by chidexy(m): 9:04pm On Aug 23, 2011
The Yorubas are the only ones crying wolf over the suspension of Salami. The old Judge sold himself short, by his dubious underhand dealings with the ACN. He made himself partisan and shouldn't cry now that he's bearing the brunt of political rulings!

He should be careful if he's not found guilty of perjury in the months to come. As for his removal, it's a forgone conclusion and not even the Tinubus and Fasholas + the Soyinkas and Falanas will change his situation. Good riddance
Re: Fashola Condemns Jonathan's Action Over Salami ! by youngmonie: 9:05pm On Aug 23, 2011
This thing is simple and straight forward. If jonathan knows he won the election squarely free and fair, why not leave the man there and let him conclude his job.
Re: Fashola Condemns Jonathan's Action Over Salami ! by boyt1: 10:16pm On Aug 23, 2011
youngmonie:

This thing is simple and straight forward. If jonathan knows he won the election squarely free and fair, why not leave the man there and let him conclude his job.
O boy grow up. opposition my foot, afterall Tunde Bakare started as a critic and champion of save nigeria group and later ended up partnership with extremist Buhari.
Re: Fashola Condemns Jonathan's Action Over Salami ! by 2mch(m): 10:19pm On Aug 23, 2011
boy t:

O boy grow up. opposition my foot,  afterall  Tunde Bakare started as  a critic  and champion of save nigeria group and  later ended up partnership with extremist Buhari.

Extremist Buhari and now Dictator Jona. We shall see na. How many dictators have survived Nigerian political climate? Not even in military rule. If Jona knows he won that election why all the jumping about and making ridiculous decisions? Someone with nothing to hide will ply the straight and narrow. This cannot and will not stand otherwise Nigeria is better off non existent. There is a constituion for a reason, to make all the arms of government  independent. Sooner or later, Jona will make himself judge, jury and executioner. The same 2/3rds of the senate are needed to do a lot of damage. It is best Jona doesnt burn bridges. The SW will happily give the North what they want if he does not act cautiously. We are watching. Tell me when it was a crime to refuse to apologize to a politician? Thank God it is Salami today, what will happen to a regular citizen that refuses to apologize? Firing squad abi?
Re: Fashola Condemns Jonathan's Action Over Salami ! by OmoTier1(m): 11:40pm On Aug 23, 2011
What do you expect from a president that scored 110% voters turn out in SE?

"weep not my child", this fake jona has failed to remember that it was the fish that swallowed jona and not the otherway around.

First it was bizzarr tenure elongation bill, now it is constitutional illegality, only God knows what is next!

As usual, I note beaf is running his mouth wider than river benue to defend his crooked master! What manner of a person are you beaf?
Re: Fashola Condemns Jonathan's Action Over Salami ! by Iolo(m): 11:46pm On Aug 23, 2011
Section 292(1)( a)(i) of the Constitution of the
Federal Republic of Nigeria, 1999 provides that “a
judicial officer shall not be removed from his office
or appointment before his age of retirement,
except in the following circumstances (a) in the
case of the Chief Justice of Nigeria,  the President
of the Court of Appeal, the Chief Judge of the
Federal High Court, Chief Judge of the  High Court
of the Federal Capital Territory, Abuja, Grand
Khadi of the Sharia Court of Appeal of the Federal
Capital Territory, Abuja, and President, Customary
Court of Appeal of the Federal Capital Territory,
Abuja, by the President( of Nigeria), acting on an
address supported by two-thirds majority of the
Senate, praying that he be so removed for his
inability to discharge the functions of his office or
appointment (whether arising from infirmity of
mind or body) or for misconduct or contravention
of the Code of Conduct”.

[b][/b]
Re: Fashola Condemns Jonathan's Action Over Salami ! by EnigmAries(m): 12:35am On Aug 24, 2011
The NJC acted ultra-vires in the first place by suspending the the President of Appeal Court while his case is still in court. And anyone who says the Our President has no choice but to retire the PAC on NJC recommendation is also wrong, because the law only term it that the NJC SHALL RECOMMEND and thus not necessary that the Commander in Chief should endorse the recommendation if the situation doesn't warrant it.
I dont blame the Mr President, this is part of the prices he must pay to get his 6yrs single term tenure bill passed. [color=#990000][/color]
Re: Fashola Condemns Jonathan's Action Over Salami ! by ghetoquran: 1:05am On Aug 24, 2011
Why is it that only Yoruba people are condemning his removal?
Re: Fashola Condemns Jonathan's Action Over Salami ! by Demdem(m): 8:41am On Aug 24, 2011
Beaf:

^

LIAR, this was exactly what we had expected GEJ to do in the first instance. why the haste in suspending salami when there is a pending court action?
anyway, i know u will never agree. GEJ ass-licker.
Re: Fashola Condemns Jonathan's Action Over Salami ! by Gbawe: 9:09am On Aug 24, 2011
Demdem:

LIAR, this was exactly what we had expected GEJ to do in the first instance. why the haste in suspending salami when there is a pending court action?
anyway, i know u will never agree. GEJ Bottom-licker.

He is also licking the balls of Uduaghan, Sylva, Orji and others. Otherwise , how can anyone explain how a con man like Beaf never criticises or mention the worst Governors in Nigeria? Start a worst Governor poll right now and uduaghan or Orji will win because their co-travellers in gross misrule (Alao Akala, Oyinlola and Gbenga Daniel) have been dealt with by a region no longer willing to tolerate PDP misrule. Beaf is indeed a dirty and shameless azz licker' . He should not be taken seriously by anyone .
Re: Fashola Condemns Jonathan's Action Over Salami ! by Bawss1(m): 9:22am On Aug 24, 2011
^
But alas many people here still clamor for his reaction whenever GEJ or PDP makes the news. That is an individual who has made up his mind to follow his cause regardless of the logic. I think we should all get over him and continue to thrash out issues objectively.
Re: Fashola Condemns Jonathan's Action Over Salami ! by TenKobo1: 12:28pm On Aug 24, 2011
Is it only me that is surprised by GEJ's penchant for anything that has to do with tenures?? First 6 singles years for the president, governors and the elongation of the tenure of the national assembly members. Again he came up with the issues of the tenure of local government chairmen and now this. Nigerians should start asking Jonathan if he was elected to perpetuate people in office or make the nation work.
Re: Fashola Condemns Jonathan's Action Over Salami ! by Xfactoria: 4:04pm On Aug 24, 2011
Gbawe:

He is also licking the balls of Uduaghan, Sylva, Orji and others. Otherwise , how can anyone explain how a con man like Beaf never criticises or mention the worst Governors in Nigeria? Start a worst Governor poll right now and uduaghan or Orji will win because their co-travellers in gross misrule (Alao Akala, Oyinlola and Gbenga Daniel) have been dealt with by a region no longer willing to tolerate PDP misrule. Beaf is indeed a dirty and shameless azz licker' . He should not be taken seriously by anyone .

Gbawe,

Just discovered that you are biggest joke on this forum. Spoke to a member of the bench this morning and here is his explanation of the whole scenario.

Salami has not been removed as PCA but only suspended so section 292 of the constitution has not been breached. Although the NJC has recommended to Jonathan to commence the process of his removal, Jonathan has only acted on his suspension by appointing an acting-PCA and has not forwarded a memo to the Senate as required for his removal. It is still within the powers of the NJC to discipline any judicial officer.

A lot of people like Gbawe has been deceived by the sensational headlines in the papers and the hasty conclusions or interpretations of his Action Congress Lords. Next time, you should be careful how you hold-on to reported speeches. I knew your assertions were not based on knowledge but reported speeches or maybe you and your pathetic Action Congress men do not know the difference between removal and suspension.
Re: Fashola Condemns Jonathan's Action Over Salami ! by seanet02: 4:24pm On Aug 24, 2011
X-factorial, you know nada about what the constitution in Nigeria
Re: Fashola Condemns Jonathan's Action Over Salami ! by Gbawe: 4:39pm On Aug 24, 2011
X-factoria:

Gbawe,

Just discovered that you are biggest joke on this forum. Spoke to a member of the bench this morning and here is his explanation of the whole scenario.

Salami has not been removed as PCA but only suspended so section 292 of the constitution has not been breached. Although the NJC has recommended to Jonathan to commence the process of his removal, Jonathan has only acted on his suspension by appointing an acting-PCA and has not forwarded a memo to the Senate as required for his removal. It is still within the powers of the NJC to discipline any judicial officer.

A lot of people like Gbawe has been deceived by the sensational headlines in the papers and the hasty conclusions or interpretations of his Action Congress Lords. Next time, you should be careful how you hold-on to reported speeches. I knew your assertions were not based on knowledge but reported speeches or maybe you and your pathetic Action Congress men do not know the difference between removal and suspension.

My friend , you are the joke. Why should I bother proving you wrong again and exposing you as someone who does not have a clue as regards what he is babbling over? I will , as usual,  only show you and your so called "member of the bench" to be wrong and you will then go on to admit you are ignorant as you have done before shown below.

However, on the Salami issue, I admit that I read the part of the constitution I quoted in Isolation of Section 292. I apologize.

Please , read and understand Femi Falana's submission below and promptly go and slap the "member of the bench" decieving you. Then come back here and announce to the forum that I, x-factoria, am the biggest joke on Nairaland . Hopefully , the language below is simple enough to make issues abundantly clear to you. Jonathan adopted , in its entirety, the advice of the NJC which also recommended that the most senior Justice of the Court of Appeal takes over from Salami as if the position of PCA is vacant. Hopefully , even you will be bright enough to see why that cannot be interpreted as a "suspension" by even a 2 year old. You are a waste of energy . Abeg , go and play with your mates .

http://www.punchng.com/Articl.aspx?theartic=Art201108223285084

Falana, CD condemn judicial council
By Agency Reporter
Monday, 22 Aug 2011

HUMAN rights lawyer, Mr. Femi Falana, has advised President Goodluck Jonathans to ignore the recommendations of the National Judicial Council asking the President to approve the retirement of President, Court of Appeal, Justice Ayo Salami.

Falana, who said this in a statement on Sunday, argued that the NJC’s suspension of Salami and the advice that he should be retired were illegal, unconstitutional and contemptuous.

He said, “By virtue of section 292(1) of the Constitution, the President of the Court of Appeal can only be removed from office by the President acting on an address supported by two-third of the Senate. Apart from recommending to the President of Nigeria the removal of the President of the Court of Appeal, the National Judicial Council lacks the power to remove him through suspension from office. By suspending Justice Salami from office, the National Judicial Council acted ultra vires.

“Under Section 238 of the Constitution, if the office of the President of the Court of Appeal becomes vacant, the President of Nigeria ‘shall appoint the most senior Justice of the Court of Appeal to perform those functions’ pending the appointment of the President of the Court.

“By directing the most senior Justice of the Court of Appeal to take over the functions of the office of the President of the Court of Appeal, the National Judicial Council has usurped the powers of the President of Nigeria.”

Falana added, “Having publicly acknowledged through an advertorial that it had been served with the originating process in the case filed by Justice Ayo Salami at the Federal High Court challenging the legal validity of the request of the National Judicial Council that he should apologise for allegedly lying on oath, the purported suspension of the President of the Court of Appeal from office is illegal and contemptuous.”

Also, the Campaign for Democracy has condemned what it described as “judicial gangsterism” by the NJC in its suspension of Salami.

This was contained in a statement in Lagos by CD’s President, Dr. Joe Okei-Odumakin.

Okei-Odumakin said, “It is totally shocking and bewildering that the council will conduct itself in the most lawless manner the NJC has gone about the suspension of Justice Salami.

“It was the saddest, day for the rule of law and justice administration in Nigeria when the NJC refused to accept court summons from Justice Salami’s lawyer and went ahead to take ‘disciplinary’ action on a matter that is already before the court.

“The message the NJC is sending to Nigerians is to lose confidence in the judicial system if the President of the Court of Appeal cannot be protected by the court.

“In the plainest language, what the NJC has done is to resort to self-help to achieve some pernicious agenda which can only bring anarchy to justice administration in Nigeria.”

The CD added, “It is time for all democracy loving Nigerians to stand up in defence of the rule of law by opposing this violation of the rule of law by the National Judicial Council.”
Re: Fashola Condemns Jonathan's Action Over Salami ! by Gbawe: 4:57pm On Aug 24, 2011
seanet02:

Of course he does not. He only knows how to seek highly flawed submissions from 'jeun jeun' members of the bench not fit to clean Femi Falana's boots.
Re: Fashola Condemns Jonathan's Action Over Salami ! by Xfactoria: 6:02pm On Aug 24, 2011
Gbawe:

Of course he does not. He only knows how to seek highly flawed submissions from 'jeun jeun' members of the bench not fit to clean Femi Falana's boots.

seanet02:

From your quote:

"“Under Section 238 of the Constitution, if the office of the President of the Court of Appeal becomes vacant, the President of Nigeria ‘shall appoint the most senior Justice of the Court of Appeal to perform those functions’ pending the appointment of the President of the Court.

“By directing the most senior Justice of the Court of Appeal to take over the functions of the office of the President of the Court of Appeal, the National Judicial Council has usurped the powers of the President of Nigeria.”

Did Jonathan do anything contrary to section 238 of the constitution?

You guys and Falana are talking from both sides of your mouth!!!!!
Re: Fashola Condemns Jonathan's Action Over Salami ! by Johndoe100(m): 6:28pm On Aug 24, 2011
It is really sad that the bar association is fast becoming an arm of the ACN. THIS MOVE IF NOT CHECKED WILL DESTROY THAT BODY.
Salami is gone, nothing can bring him back. By the way I did not see my main protestor - the pastor, buhari's running mate. I thought he would be there trying to fool the weak minded.
Re: Fashola Condemns Jonathan's Action Over Salami ! by sayo6334: 6:31pm On Aug 24, 2011
i think u get it wrong - President GEJ is not being moderate on his decision
Re: Fashola Condemns Jonathan's Action Over Salami ! by Xfactoria: 6:35pm On Aug 24, 2011
Gbawe:

My friend , you are the joke. Why should I bother proving you wrong again and exposing you as someone who does not have a clue as regards what he is babbling over? I will , as usual,  only show you and your so called "member of the bench" to be wrong and you will then go on to admit you are ignorant as you have done before shown below.

Please , read and understand Femi Falana's submission below and promptly go and slap the "member of the bench" decieving you. Then come back here and announce to the forum that I, x-factoria, am the biggest joke on Nairaland . Hopefully , the language below is simple enough to make issues abundantly clear to you. Jonathan adopted , in its entirety, the advice of the NJC which also recommended that the most senior Justice of the Court of Appeal takes over from Salami [b]as if the position of PCA is vacant. Hopefully , even you will be bright enough to see why that cannot be interpreted as a "suspension" by even a 2 year old[/b]. You are a waste of energy . Abeg , go and play with your mates .

http://www.punchng.com/Articl.aspx?theartic=Art201108223285084

Gbawe,

I have underscored your inability to argue logically many times, so I will only try to educate you further:

1. The office of the PCA has a constitutional role. So if the occupant of that office for whatever reason is not able to discharge the role of that office and the office is not in actual fact vacant, somebody in acting capacity must be appointed and it is not in the light of filling a vacancy. Jonathan was acting President when Yar'adua was indisposed but that did not mean the position of the President was vacant at that time.

2. Whether the NJC recommended to the President to appoint the most senior judge in the appeal court to act is immaterial. That could go for an advice as the NJC also has advisory role to the President under the constitution. The fact is that it is the President that appointed the Acting PCA.

So you can see that you still remain a big joke!!!! grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Fashola Condemns Jonathan's Action Over Salami ! by Xfactoria: 8:51am On Aug 25, 2011
Where is Gbawe?? If he can read and comprehend English, he should read the texts highlighted in bold below. It corroborates my stance on his goof!!!!

Why Salami was removed, by Presidency .
Thursday, 25 August 2011 00:00 From Madu Onuorah, Lemmy Ughegbe, Collins Olayinka (Abuja), Ibe Uwaleke, Kelvin Ebiri, Ann Godwin (Port Harcourt), Alemma-Ozioruva Aliu (Benin City) and Yetunde Oyegbami Ojo (Lagos) News - National .User Rating: / 0
PoorBest
.Labour, Commonwealth lawyers flay Jonathan, NJC

Court adjourns suit against suspension till September 7

NBA wants judicial council reconstituted

http://www.ngrguardiannews.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=59024:why-salami-was-removed-by-presidency&catid=1:national&Itemid=559

AS the removal of Justice Ayo Isa Salami as the President of the Court of Appeal continued to dominate national issues, the Presidency yesterday broke its silence on the matter.

The Presidency said it was miffed at the reactions of some interested parties in the issue between Salami and the National Judicial Council (NJC) over the latter’s recommendation that the former Court of Appeal President be retired over his refusal to apologise to the Chief Justice of Nigeria (CJN), Justice Aloysius Katsina-Alu.

It said the attempt to drag the name of President Goodluck Jonathan into the whole issue smacked of politics and not a due diligence of the points at stake.

But organised Labour, members of the Bar under the platform of Commonwealth Lawyers Association (CLA), the Nigerian Bar Association (NBA), the Nigeria Medical Association (NMA), and other interest groups, have insisted that Jonathan’s “hasty” removal of Salami from office was wrong.

The Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC) accused the Presidency and the NJC of abuse of judicial processes by suspending the appellate court’s boss from office.

The Commonwealth lawyers said the actions of the President and the NJC were destructive and unacceptable.

To the NBA, which restated its position on the matter, said the NJC as now constituted can no longer run a healthy judiciary and called for its reconstitution. It also pleaded for immediate pronouncement on the suit filed by Salami against his suspension by the government and the NJC.

Jonathan had last Sunday, in a statement signed by presidential spokesman, Dr. Reuben Abati, “approved the appointment of Justice Dalhatu Adamu as President of the Court of Appeal in acting capacity.”

[b]A source in the Presidency told The Guardian yesterday that Jonathan only acted to save the judiciary from anarchy and to fill a vacuum created by the suspension of Justice Salami in order not to leave the appellate court without leadership.

The President, the source noted, is constrained to intervene in the dispute in the third tier of government because of the concept of separation of powers.

The source lamented that the crisis put the President in a position where he had to be “extremely careful not to inflame the crisis and he acted rightly by providing a soft landing for Justice Salami while at the same time not ignoring the NJC.

“If the President had ignored the letter from the NJC, it would have been that he was ignoring the highest disciplinary body in the third arm of government. What the law requires him to do is to transmit the letter from the NJC to the Senate. But the Senate is on recess. There were high-level consultations on what to do - ignore the letter or take the middle ground of not tilting the balance in any way. But what was clear was that the judiciary was in a crisis with the absence of a functional President of the Court of Appeal. So, President Jonathan had to give a qualified acceptance of the letter from the NJC.

“If you had read the content of the Presidency’s response, you would have acknowledged that it was a qualified acceptance of a reality on the ground but without muddling it up. The President only approved the acting appointment of Justice Dalhatu Adamu to perform the functions of the office of the President of the Court of Appeal ‘pending when all issues relating to the office of the President of the Court of Appeal are resolved.’ This meant that Justice Isa Ayo Salami was to step aside until the matter is resolved.

“What did these critics want him to do? Nothing? To create a lacuna! Or go against a statutory body of the third arm of government? Following the principle of the separation of powers, there is nothing the President can do except what he has done, which is to make an interim appointment pending when the issues in the federal legislature are sorted out.”

According to the Presidency’s official, Jonathan had by his action helped Salami by not transmitting the NJC’s resolution to the Senate yet.

He urged the stakeholders in the judiciary to team up and cleanse the sector, declaring that outsiders cannot do it for them.

The official also faulted the position of the NBA on the crisis.

He said: “Sometimes, the NBA, by its own action, seems to be descending to the level of street rioters. Only the judiciary can clean up the judiciary. Not the President or any other person. Those blaming President Jonathan for opting for the position of a statesman on this issue should tell Nigerians what they want - for him to take side at the detriment of the nation’s judiciary. He has only acted to ensure there is no vacuum.”[/b]

At the Federal High Court, Abuja yesterday, Salami’s attempt to argue an application seeking to nullify the suspension slammed on him by the appointment of Justice Adamu as his successor in acting capacity was rejected.

When the suit challenging the competence of the probe panel setup by NJC, which indicted Salami for perjury and misconduct, was called up, his counsel, Chief Akinlolu Olujimi (SAN) sought to argue the said application, but Aliyu Saiki, holding the brief of Lawal Rabana (SAN) counsel to NJC, objected to it.

Justice Donatus Okorowo, who held the matter, explained that his time as a vacation judge would lapse by the end of the month after which another judge will take over on September 5, 2011.

He therefore adjourned the matter till September 7 for mention to enable Salami serve the processes on all parties.

Olujimi had told the court that although he had two earlier applications filed on August 15 pending before the court; one being a motion ex-parte for interim orders and the second, a motion on notice for interlocutory injunction, he has filed a third application.

Responding, Saiki said he needed an adjournment to study the matter and file necessary papers in response to Salami’s.

Olujimi chipped in, saying: “My lord, we had sought to serve the NJC the processes for all other defendants since they were appointed by the Council but they declined. We will therefore apply for leave for an order of substituted service to allow us paste the processes for them at the NJC.”

Justice Okorowo declined to hear the third application or the oral application for substituted service. Instead, he asked Olujimi to file a formal application.

In a statement titled: “Travails of Justice Ayo Salami: Let justice prevail,” by NLC President, Abdulwahed Omar, in Abuja yesterday, the Nigerian workers, leader said the disagreement which had snowballed into a formidable threat to the impartial nature of judiciary ought to be nipped in the bud before now.

Omar said the needless disagreement, which would have been resolved through “fairness, transparency and due process,” had exposed the judiciary to unwarranted attention, thus, “undermining the sanctity of the justice system and threatening the efficacy of our democratic system.”

The Congress submitted that the suspension of Salami by Jonathan on the recommendation of NJC had helped increase the complexity of the crisis, adding that the NJC had rather chosen to become a clog in the wheel of justice system in Nigeria instead of being an umpire, promoting an impartial judicial system.

The Omar-led Congress explained that it was yet to understand the reasons President Jonathan acted swiftly on the recommendations of the NJC by appointing an Acting President for the court.

It said: “More astounding has been the speed at accepting the suspension of Mr. Salami by President Jonathan and appointing an Acting President of the Court of Appeal despite the case being in court.

“We are of the view that steps taken by the NJC in the storm between the Chief Justice and the President of the Court of Appeal leave much to be desired. Its activities have not only been questionable, but have impertinently brought the judiciary to ridicule, and being the bastion of justice in the land, let the nation down.”
The Commonwealth lawyers’ body supported the NBA’s decision to boycott the activities of the NJC until justice prevailed.

President of the association, Mrs. Boma Ozobia, said in Port Harcourt yesterday that the action of the NJC was “unacceptable and destructive.”

NBA President, Joseph Bodunrin Daudu (SAN) told journalists yesterday at the Port Harcourt High Court complex where Lawyers in the Media (LIM) held their session that the association would remain resolute and always push for adherence to the rule of law and due process.

The NBA boss who stated that the last had not been heard of the Salami saga, reiterated the need for the amendment of the 1999 Constitution and the composition of the NJC to improve on the quality of justice delivery.

He said it would help the government if it. According to him, Nigerians are clearly insisting that there is something

fundamentally wrong with the NJC’s decision.

“The NBA will not be a party of a process that is flawed and that is why we have withdrawn from the NJC,” Daudu said.

He explained that the NBA is desirous of a process of selection of credible judges and judicial officers who are appointed solely by the Chief Justice of Nigeria into the NJC. According to him, the inclusion of men of proven integrity into council would impact positively on justice administration in the country.

The Chairman of Silverbird Communications, Mr. Ben

Murray-Bruce, who delivered the keynote address on Broadcast media and substance of democracy, urged the media to go after members of the political class behind groups such as the Boko Haram and militants in the Niger Delta.

The Dean, Faculty of Law, Rivers State University of Science and Technology, Mrs. Olubumi Akaakar, demanded that laws regulating the media in Nigeria should be of international standard.

The Rivers State Commissioner for Information and Communication, Mrs. Ibim Semenitari, advised LIM to continue to promote good governance in the country.

Meanwhile, a group, Access to Justice (AJ) has asked the NJC to declare null and void, its decision to suspend Salami.

In a petition signed by its Executive Director, Mr. Joseph Otteh, the group urged NJC to convene an emergency meeting to review the decision to safeguard the rule of law.

The Edo State chapter of the Nigerian Medical Association (NMA) yesterday condemned the feud that led to the suspension of Salami.

In a statement signed by the association’s chairman, Philip Ugbodaga, Secretary, Emmaunel Ighodaro and the Public Relations Officer, Kennedy Alohan, the NMA also decried the rush with which Jonathan implemented the recommendations of the NJC. The association urged well-meaning Nigerians to intervene in the crisis to save the nation’s judiciary.
Re: Fashola Condemns Jonathan's Action Over Salami ! by Gbawe: 8:54am On Aug 25, 2011
@ X-factoria .

Are you jobless, a clown or just obssessed with following me around ? Beat it !!!!
Re: Fashola Condemns Jonathan's Action Over Salami ! by Xfactoria: 9:08am On Aug 25, 2011
Gbawe:

@ X-factoria .

Are you jobless, a clown or just obssessed with following me around ? Beat it !!!!

Nope, just want you to realize how shallow you are and to realize it pays to be objective at all times. Don't just go about following what people say without checking it just because they are high profile or they are your fellow Action Congress men.

Some of us won't be deceived by the gabbage you spew out to discredit anything that is not ACN.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

President Buhari Bars Police And Paramilitary Agencies From Wearing Camouflage / Bukola Saraki Also Duped Jay Jay Okocha, Records Shows / EXCLUSIVE: Tension In Aso Rock Only 3 Ministers Have Access To President Buhari

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.