Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,755 members, 7,827,799 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 05:11 PM

Can Tinubu’s $460,000 ‘settlement’ In Drug Trafficking Case Disqualify Him? - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Can Tinubu’s $460,000 ‘settlement’ In Drug Trafficking Case Disqualify Him? (22338 Views)

$460,000 Forfeiture: Tinubu Qualified To Contest, It Was A Civil Matter - PEPT / Why Tinubu Forfeited $460,000 In US — APC Tells Court / Bola Tinubu Forfeited $460,000 To US Govt For Narcotics Trafficking - Paul Ibe (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Can Tinubu’s $460,000 ‘settlement’ In Drug Trafficking Case Disqualify Him? by shinealight(m): 10:34am On Nov 14, 2022
masinga07:
The old man should be disqualified. He's a disaster that should never be allowed to happen to Nigeria. All hands must be on deck to stop him from becoming the president.

Was he the same “disaster” that happened to Lagos in 1999 to make Lagos the most economically vibrant State in the country?
You’re free to keep your hands on the deck of joblessness, poverty and economic backwardness in your part of country pls! cool cool
Re: Can Tinubu’s $460,000 ‘settlement’ In Drug Trafficking Case Disqualify Him? by stanisbaratheon: 10:34am On Nov 14, 2022
Didijiji:
Brothers and Sisters.

Please look at this matter critically with all your brains intact!

Keyamo said the $460k was VAT on INTEREST. Oh my God!!!!!!!!!!

Have you sat to ask yourself how much the INTEREST was to have earned that much interest?

Most astonishingly is then the amount of PRINCIPAL.

OH MY GOD!!!!!

Keyamo is a pocket lawyer na grin
Re: Can Tinubu’s $460,000 ‘settlement’ In Drug Trafficking Case Disqualify Him? by obi58: 10:36am On Nov 14, 2022
shinealight:

Was he the same “disaster” that happened to Lagos in 1999 to make Lagos the most economically vibrant State in the country?
You’re free to keep your hands on the deck of joblessness, poverty and economic backwardness in your part of country pls! cool cool

When was Lagos not the most economically vibrant state in the country?

Was it not that in the 60s? 70s? Or 80s?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Can Tinubu’s $460,000 ‘settlement’ In Drug Trafficking Case Disqualify Him? by livinbygrace: 10:45am On Nov 14, 2022
ladiguy:

You guys don’t have sense. Why not dig in to know more about the case. Tinubu wasn’t caught with drugs but the law enforcement traced funds that belongs to a drug baron in his account. You no go dig to know history, just see matter online start to Dey drop comments. Oga oooo

Most of them are munguns and if they charge him for such that means most Nigerian bankers will go to jail.

1 Like

Re: Can Tinubu’s $460,000 ‘settlement’ In Drug Trafficking Case Disqualify Him? by Heffalump(m): 10:49am On Nov 14, 2022
masinga07:
The old man should be disqualified. He's a disaster that should never be allowed to happen to Nigeria. All hands must be on deck to stop him from becoming the president.

I now see why so many Ambassador's have been visiting him. America must have sent out warnings that they will not accept any diplomatic cover for Tinubu if he wins the presidential election by mistake.

Agbadorians, how market

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Can Tinubu’s $460,000 ‘settlement’ In Drug Trafficking Case Disqualify Him? by sangresan(m): 10:50am On Nov 14, 2022
Re: Can Tinubu’s $460,000 ‘settlement’ In Drug Trafficking Case Disqualify Him? by sangresan(m): 10:51am On Nov 14, 2022
Please don't argue with pigs. Cure their stupidity with facts...

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2013/08/12/taken

Read and learn.

1 Like

Re: Can Tinubu’s $460,000 ‘settlement’ In Drug Trafficking Case Disqualify Him? by sangresan(m): 10:55am On Nov 14, 2022

1 Like

Re: Can Tinubu’s $460,000 ‘settlement’ In Drug Trafficking Case Disqualify Him? by ladiguy(m): 10:56am On Nov 14, 2022
Cantonese:

Ok, let’s take it from your view that the cases are similar, in that they are crime related.

Cubana was either invited or arrested by the Police, on the basis of what we were informed. The onus of proof rested on his, based on the facts presented to him by NDLEA. The matter has not escalated beyond that, at least as we know for now.

We have been told that Tinubu had a friend who lived with him in the USA. The guy was a drug peddler. The guys funds found their way into Tinubu’s account and was seized, according to Tinubu’s side of the story. He has so far not denied the name Bola Tinubu. He went his way, not knowing that destiny would bring him to contest for the highest office of the nation. Tinubu himself is an advocate of accountability with leadership. He did not prove that the funds did not belong to him or its source.

Politics aside, is it not proper that his name is cleared? Is it not proper for Nigerians to question the source of wealth of all their leaders?

It is proper but the case has been cleared. When you enter into plea bargain (In USA ), the case is gone for life. If you drag him to court in USA, you won’t get any positive result. Tafa balogun (former IG) got a response from the American authority then and he was told he had no case to answer and as for Obi Cuba. He is lucky to be invited by Nigerian law enforcement agency. You and I know how things goes here. So, I’m not disputing the fact that he might have or agree to it.

The basics is that he has no case to answer. If I were to be Tinubu’s advocate, the defense argument would be, one can have funds in your account without you knowing what the owner of the funds do or how it was acquired. Any close associate can wire funds into your account and give you Wrong info about the funds.
Re: Can Tinubu’s $460,000 ‘settlement’ In Drug Trafficking Case Disqualify Him? by seguno2: 10:57am On Nov 14, 2022
obi58:
When was Lagos not the most economically vibrant state in the country?

Was it not that in the 60s? 70s? Or 80s?

Excellent answer for the uninformed comment. Does it not make you wonder if all Asiwaju agbero followers are street urchins

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Can Tinubu’s $460,000 ‘settlement’ In Drug Trafficking Case Disqualify Him? by ladiguy(m): 10:57am On Nov 14, 2022
Zeezenho:

Olodo, who is lty of bribery and corruption we were thought even in nursery school that it's both the giver and the reciver.

You don’t want to learn. No problem about that. Soon you face a crisis similar and you will look for a way out.
Re: Can Tinubu’s $460,000 ‘settlement’ In Drug Trafficking Case Disqualify Him? by Cantonese: 10:58am On Nov 14, 2022
sangresan:
Javier Gonzalez was carrying $10,000 cash in a briefcase and got pulled over in Texas; deputies handed Gonzalez a waiver, that if he signed over the money and did not claim it later, he would not be arrested, but if he refused to sign the waiver, Gonzalez would be arrested for money-laundering.[18] Gonzalez signed the waiver wondering if the officers were real "officers of law" and wondering if he got robbed, but later sued the county, which lost, and returned his cash plus paid him $110,000 in damages plus attorney's fees.[18]

Matt Lee of Clare, Michigan, was driving to California with $2,500 cash when pulled over by police in Nevada, who seized almost all of the cash under suspicion that it was a "drug run"; Lee hired an attorney who took half as his fee, leaving Lee with only $1130 remaining.[35]
I just couldn't believe that police could do that to anyone ... It's like they are at war with innocent people.

— Matt Lee, interviewed in The Washington Post, 2013[35]
Tan Nguyen. In 2008, a federal judge ordered $50,000 returned to a man after police seized the money during a traffic stop in Nebraska, after reviewing a recording of the seizure in which a sheriff's deputy suggested that we "take his money and, um, count it as a drug seizure".[16] Tan Nguyen's $50,000 was confiscated by police during a traffic stop, and the county agreed to return the funds after a legal challenge.[36]
In May 2010 a couple was driving from New York to Florida and they were stopped by police because of a cracked windshield.[35] During questioning, the officer decided that $32,000 cash in the van was "probably involved in criminal or drug-related activity", seized it, shared it with federal authorities under equitable sharing.[35] The victim hired a lawyer to get back the seized money who urged settling for half of the seized amount, and after the lawyer's fees, the victim got back only $7,000.[35]
A 2013 The New Yorker piece detailed abuses in Tenaha, Texas, where police would target out-of-state drivers using rental cars, often not issuing traffic tickets, and disproportionately pulling over African Americans and Latino-Americans.[10] Police sometimes ask stopped motorists to sign "roadside property waivers", which, unless signed, threaten criminal charges unless valuables are handed over; the waivers say, in effect, that victims will not contest the seizure in exchange for not being arrested.[10]

That’s what you find in countries where cashless policies work. Their $10k is almost equivalent to our N10m. Surely you expect our police to pull you over, with that amount in your briefcase.

Hopefully we can step up on our cashless policy in 2023. It helps the economies a great deal.
Re: Can Tinubu’s $460,000 ‘settlement’ In Drug Trafficking Case Disqualify Him? by MNDY(m): 11:01am On Nov 14, 2022
Treadway:
I have strong reasons to believe that so called embassy letter is not genuine. Not like it will change anything as na naija we dey, but just for the sake of knowledge.

I have shared some points to note earlier. Here is another, that document has a typo that is hard to ignore. The red flags!

It reads the United States and it's territories

It should be ITS not IT'S

2. The typing alignment is not justified format, even the 1993 document was properly aligned in justified typing format. How could a 2003 not be? Compare the two below.
3. Inec supposedly received a document in 2010 when Tinubu wasn't vying for any post in 2010.

Jyde81 and TWoods when I said you were not very smart like Tinubu your mentor, una see am now. If anarchist grandpa wan forge something, he should at least get someone to do a fool-proof job.

Everything about Tinubu is never straightforward.
From fake bishops, to age, to certificate, to business, to muslim-muslim ticket.
I type in Ms Word very well and understand justifying a typed work.
I am not a Tinubu supporter. But on this case, I think a portion in the constitution states that an aspirant can be disqualified if his conviction is within 10yrs before he is contesting. This case is over 20yrs old. Other than that, there are serious issues of: Whether forfeiture means plea bargain. Did the US clear him of every wrongdoing because of the forfeiture? etc
Re: Can Tinubu’s $460,000 ‘settlement’ In Drug Trafficking Case Disqualify Him? by Cantonese: 11:03am On Nov 14, 2022
ladiguy:

It is proper but the case has been cleared. When you enter into plea bargain (In USA ), the case is gone for life. If you drag him to court in USA, you won’t get any positive result. Tafa balogun (former IG) got a response from the American authority then and he was told he had no case to answer and as for Obi Cuba. He is lucky to be invited by Nigerian law enforcement agency. You and I know how things goes here. So, I’m not disputing the fact that he might have or agree to it.

The basics is that he has no case to answer. If I were to be Tinubu’s advocate, the defense argument would be, one can have funds in your account without you knowing what the owner of the funds do or how it was acquired. Any close associate can wire funds into your account and give you Wrong info about the funds.

He has no case to answer, but the matter to determine is if that plea bargain and forfeiture amounted to a conviction. If so does that amount to a conviction, in the eyes of the law?

Do you understand it now?
Re: Can Tinubu’s $460,000 ‘settlement’ In Drug Trafficking Case Disqualify Him? by Nasan(m): 11:04am On Nov 14, 2022
Yes. It Should Be. Nigeria Need Decent And Competent Person Like Atiku Abubakar.
Re: Can Tinubu’s $460,000 ‘settlement’ In Drug Trafficking Case Disqualify Him? by ladiguy(m): 11:04am On Nov 14, 2022
hustla:

E no be thief but na in house thief dey keep gun and money

So wetin come be difference?

If sars come your house and recover guns and money wey belong to thief, are you an accomplice or not? Will SARS not carry you to station?

Una go just dey knowingly pretend like say una brain cells don kpai because una wan make thief become president

After their investigation and they found out I know nothing about it, though funds found in my account. I have no case to answer.

See my brother try to learn. Weather Tinubu is a drug baron or not. The point is that he has no case to answer. No how, where and when to attack. That’s the lesson here
Re: Can Tinubu’s $460,000 ‘settlement’ In Drug Trafficking Case Disqualify Him? by Cyntie55(f): 11:06am On Nov 14, 2022
ladiguy:

You guys don’t have sense. Why not dig in to know more about the case. Tinubu wasn’t caught with drugs but the law enforcement traced funds that belongs to a drug baron in his account. You no go dig to know history, just see matter online start to Dey drop comments. Oga oooo
Since you know and understand history, please can you briefly tell us what business does Tinubu has to do with a drug baron that made law enforcement traced such funds to his account??
Re: Can Tinubu’s $460,000 ‘settlement’ In Drug Trafficking Case Disqualify Him? by hustla(m): 11:06am On Nov 14, 2022
ladiguy:

After their investigation and they found out I know nothing about it, though funds found in my account. I have no case to answer.

See my brother try to learn. Weather Tinubu is a drug baron or not. The point is that he has no case to answer. No how, where and when to attack. That’s the lesson here

Lmao

Sars never hold you before. No worry, you go learn
Re: Can Tinubu’s $460,000 ‘settlement’ In Drug Trafficking Case Disqualify Him? by ladiguy(m): 11:09am On Nov 14, 2022
Cantonese:

He has no case to answer, but the matter to determine is if that plea bargain and forfeiture amounted to a conviction. If so does that amount to a conviction, in the eyes of the law?

Do you understand it now?

That’s why you need to know more about past events . Don’t just drop comments whenever you see or heard about trending news. Try to dig in. You will become wise and be a good judge. Go read more about this case and comeback to drop comments.

You It seems you are intelligent than others countering my comments.

Please don’t be too emotional about issues. If you can master than, you will become a very good judge
Re: Can Tinubu’s $460,000 ‘settlement’ In Drug Trafficking Case Disqualify Him? by FireUpNow(m): 11:09am On Nov 14, 2022
Technically speaking, Tinubu should be disqualified for this because he is a proven narcotics dealer who was found guilty by a competent court of law and forfeited the illicit loots from narcotics which he paid as fine. My question is if this was to be in the civilized world, would Tinubu have come out to vie into politics and aspire to the highest office of the country? The answer is a resounding no. He has very questionable character from age cheat, academic records, place of origin, name change to health status.

1 Like

Re: Can Tinubu’s $460,000 ‘settlement’ In Drug Trafficking Case Disqualify Him? by ladiguy(m): 11:10am On Nov 14, 2022
hustla:

Lmao

Sars never hold you before. No worry, you go learn

You are kid. I have learnt a lot still learning. Make sure are keep tab on your friends on this forum cuz soon you will need them when you start learning.

Good day.
Re: Can Tinubu’s $460,000 ‘settlement’ In Drug Trafficking Case Disqualify Him? by Yoighaman(m): 11:11am On Nov 14, 2022
ladiguy:

Why should they associate him with drug cartels in the first instance?

Can anyone associate you with an Armed Robber if something is not fishy about you?
Re: Can Tinubu’s $460,000 ‘settlement’ In Drug Trafficking Case Disqualify Him? by ladiguy(m): 11:13am On Nov 14, 2022
Cyntie55:
Since you know and understand history, please can you briefly tell us what business does Tinubu has to do with a drug baron that made law enforcement traced such funds to his account??

You are free to search for that. Telling you won’t be valuable. You just have to do that yourself and comeback to drop your comments about the new knowledge you’ve acquired. Anything you spent you time one, you will always gain from it.
Re: Can Tinubu’s $460,000 ‘settlement’ In Drug Trafficking Case Disqualify Him? by ladiguy(m): 11:14am On Nov 14, 2022
Yoighaman:

Why should they associate him with drug cartels in the first instance?

Can anyone associate you with an Armed Robber if something is not fishy about you?
It happens in life. We are all victims, unless you are not deep in the hood (street things).
Re: Can Tinubu’s $460,000 ‘settlement’ In Drug Trafficking Case Disqualify Him? by orion7: 11:16am On Nov 14, 2022
yamunla:

GOD BLESS THE INCOMING PRESIDENT OF NIGERIA

ASIWAJU BOLA AHMED TINUBU

AKANBI

OMO OLODO IDE I

GOD BLESS ILE OODUA
if you like shout till your voice crack. He is a thief and won’t win outside that Yoruba land

1 Like

Re: Can Tinubu’s $460,000 ‘settlement’ In Drug Trafficking Case Disqualify Him? by Yoighaman(m): 11:16am On Nov 14, 2022
FireUpNow:
Technically speaking, Tinubu should be disqualified for this because he is a proven narcotics dealer who was found guilty by a competent court of law and forfeited the illicit loots from narcotics whoch he paid as fine. My question is if this was to be in the civilized world, would Tinubu have come out to vie I to politics and aspire to the highest office of the country? The answer is a resounding no. He has very questionable character from age cheat, academic records, place of origin, name change to health status.

The man is just too controversial.
Re: Can Tinubu’s $460,000 ‘settlement’ In Drug Trafficking Case Disqualify Him? by Cyntie55(f): 11:18am On Nov 14, 2022
ladiguy:

You are free to search for that. Telling you won’t be valuable. You just have to do that yourself and comeback to drop your comments about the new knowledge you’ve acquired. Anything you spent you time one, you will always gain from it.
You people will clearly see a red light and still be calling it white light.

May God Help us all.
Re: Can Tinubu’s $460,000 ‘settlement’ In Drug Trafficking Case Disqualify Him? by HardMirror(m): 11:19am On Nov 14, 2022
sangresan:

He didn't enter a plea bargain. Stop exposing your ignorance.

Civil forfeiture in the U.S. is state vs. property, and the owner of the property or asset or funds is never charged to court. If it were criminal forfeiture, then the issue of plea bargain would come up. This is what many of you don't really understand. Google search "civil forfeiture" and learn.
ok. Thanks for the info. I will look into it.
Re: Can Tinubu’s $460,000 ‘settlement’ In Drug Trafficking Case Disqualify Him? by Zetty177x: 11:23am On Nov 14, 2022
Tinubuwins2023e:

You are the one with a miserable life dude. Poverty have killed you and your family but you think Peter Obituary can save you? No

I am not even a gen z. I went to uni when it costs virtually nothing. When life was good. We have enjoyed life and made impact. I'm not poor. I'm made my dear. I can never suffer in life. I'm self employed,have my own business and doing well, but if I see Nigeria going backwards am I supposed to hail the system? What can u say about ur situation? Are u ok with ur life? Think about it

1 Like

Re: Can Tinubu’s $460,000 ‘settlement’ In Drug Trafficking Case Disqualify Him? by onuman: 11:25am On Nov 14, 2022
Islie:

Source: FIJ

Yes, if not, Nigeria becomes a drug trafficking country if Tinubu wins.
Re: Can Tinubu’s $460,000 ‘settlement’ In Drug Trafficking Case Disqualify Him? by Tinubuwins2023e: 11:30am On Nov 14, 2022
Zetty177x:

I am not even a gen z. I went to uni when it costs virtually nothing. When life was good. We have enjoyed life and made impact. I'm not poor. I'm made my dear. I can never suffer in life. I'm self employed,have my own business and doing well, but if I see Nigeria going backwards am I supposed to hail the system? What can u say about ur situation? Are u ok with ur life? Think about it

I may be better than you and your life. Think about it
Re: Can Tinubu’s $460,000 ‘settlement’ In Drug Trafficking Case Disqualify Him? by GeneralDae: 11:46am On Nov 14, 2022
TheGoodJoe:

The main question is what does the law say.

Section 137, subsection 1(d) of the 1999 constitution as amended states, “A person shall not be qualified for election to the office of President if -
fine for any offence involving dishonesty or fraud (by whatever name called)

forfeiture - meaning

the loss or giving up of something as a penalty for wrongdoing.

It is illegal for Tinubu to run for president. There is no spin. A competent court found him guilty of wrong doing.
I will respond to you because I know you are reasonable. The competent court did not indict him if you study the documents. What the documents prove to us is that:

1) 10 accounts including family and business accounts had received some proceeds from clients who were involved in drug dealing.

2) They could not prove that Tinubu himself was involved.

3) Tinubu was guilty of not paying taxes to the U.S Government from 1984 until 1992, hence the taxes had to be deducted too.

Finally, Tinubu was in Nigeria then. If he was a drug baron he would have completely abandoned the case to go into hiding and not present himself to the U.S where he had to forfeit taxes.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Patricia Etteh Celebrates Her 68th Birthday Today / 2023: APC To Swap Offices Between North, South In Agreed Zoning Formula / Professors Endorse Osinbajo For 2023 Presidential Race

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.