Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,871 members, 7,828,108 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 12:47 AM

Can Tinubu’s $460,000 ‘settlement’ In Drug Trafficking Case Disqualify Him? - Politics (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Can Tinubu’s $460,000 ‘settlement’ In Drug Trafficking Case Disqualify Him? (22342 Views)

$460,000 Forfeiture: Tinubu Qualified To Contest, It Was A Civil Matter - PEPT / Why Tinubu Forfeited $460,000 In US — APC Tells Court / Bola Tinubu Forfeited $460,000 To US Govt For Narcotics Trafficking - Paul Ibe (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Can Tinubu’s $460,000 ‘settlement’ In Drug Trafficking Case Disqualify Him? by MNDY(m): 11:50am On Nov 14, 2022
Treadway:
I have strong reasons to believe that so called embassy letter is not genuine. Not like it will change anything as na naija we dey, but just for the sake of knowledge.

I have shared some points to note earlier. Here is another, that document has a typo that is hard to ignore. The red flags!

It reads the United States and it's territories

It should be ITS not IT'S

2. The typing alignment is not justified format, even the 1993 document was properly aligned in justified typing format. How could a 2003 not be? Compare the two below.
3. Inec supposedly received a document in 2010 when Tinubu wasn't vying for any post in 2010.

Jyde81 and TWoods when I said you were not very smart like Tinubu your mentor, una see am now. If anarchist grandpa wan forge something, he should at least get someone to do a fool-proof job.

Even though he changed his name because of this matter and can use that to defend himself, if they want to disqualify him, they can still get him through his primary school certificate (a requirement) that he is hiding because of the change of name.
Re: Can Tinubu’s $460,000 ‘settlement’ In Drug Trafficking Case Disqualify Him? by Treadway: 11:51am On Nov 14, 2022
MNDY:

Everything about Tinubu is never straightforward.
From fake bishops, to age, to certificate, to business, to muslim-muslim ticket.
I type in Ms Word very well and understand justifying a typed work.
I am not a Tinubu supporter. But on this case, I think a portion in the constitution states that an aspirant can be disqualified if his conviction is within 10yrs before he is contesting. This case is over 20yrs old. Other than that, there are serious issues of: Whether forfeiture means plea bargain. Did the US clear him of every wrongdoing because of the forfeiture? etc
my brother, I'd rather not delve into the intricacies of the forfeiture/plea bargain, cos as I said it won't amount to much. I just wanted to show that this document that they have been parading is obviously forged/fake and likely did not originate from the embassy as touted.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Can Tinubu’s $460,000 ‘settlement’ In Drug Trafficking Case Disqualify Him? by TheGoodJoe(m): 11:53am On Nov 14, 2022
GeneralDae:

I will respond to you because I know you are reasonable. The competent court did not indict him if you study the documents. What the documents prove to us is that:

1) 10 accounts including family and business accounts had received some proceeds from clients who were involved in drug dealing.

2) They could not prove that Tinubu himself was involved.

3) Tinubu was guilty of not paying taxes to the U.S Government from 1984 until 1992, hence the taxes had to be deducted too.

Finally, Tinubu was in Nigeria then. If he was a drug baron he would have completely abandoned the case to go into hiding and not present himself to the U.S where he had to forfeit taxes.

For the last point, Tinubu had a chance of recovering a million dollars, so he would not go into hiding.
Re: Can Tinubu’s $460,000 ‘settlement’ In Drug Trafficking Case Disqualify Him? by Treadway: 11:53am On Nov 14, 2022
MNDY:

Even though he changed his name because of this matter and can use that to defend himself, if they want to disqualify him, they can still get him through his primary school certificate (a requirement) that he is hiding because of the change of name.
my brother this is naija. Who will go after him in this regard? Who wan die?
Re: Can Tinubu’s $460,000 ‘settlement’ In Drug Trafficking Case Disqualify Him? by TheGoodJoe(m): 11:58am On Nov 14, 2022
GeneralDae:

I will respond to you because I know you are reasonable. The competent court did not indict him if you study the documents. What the documents prove to us is that:

1) 10 accounts including family and business accounts had received some proceeds from clients who were involved in drug dealing.

3) Tinubu was guilty of not paying taxes to the U.S Government from 1984 until 1992, hence the taxes had to be deducted too.

Finally, Tinubu was in Nigeria then. If he was a drug baron he would have completely abandoned the case to go into hiding and not present himself to the U.S where he had to forfeit taxes.

The judgment clearly stated that the American government took the money because they were proceeds of drug trafficking, not because Tinubu did not pay taxes. This money is proceeds of drug trafficking.

1 Like

Re: Can Tinubu’s $460,000 ‘settlement’ In Drug Trafficking Case Disqualify Him? by onuman: 11:58am On Nov 14, 2022
ladiguy:

You guys don’t have sense. Why not dig in to know more about the case. Tinubu wasn’t caught with drugs but the law enforcement traced funds that belongs to a drug baron in his account. You no go dig to know history, just see matter online start to Dey drop comments. Oga oooo

You are roping in Tinubu the more.
An accomplice to crime is also a criminal.
Once Tinubu kept money from drug trafficking people, Tinubu is an accomplice to the crime of drug trafficking.

1 Like

Re: Can Tinubu’s $460,000 ‘settlement’ In Drug Trafficking Case Disqualify Him? by Treadway: 11:59am On Nov 14, 2022
ladiguy:

It is proper but the case has been cleared. When you enter into plea bargain (In USA ), the case is gone for life. If you drag him to court in USA, you won’t get any positive result. Tafa balogun (former IG) got a response from the American authority then and he was told he had no case to answer and as for Obi Cuba. He is lucky to be invited by Nigerian law enforcement agency. You and I know how things goes here. So, I’m not disputing the fact that he might have or agree to it.

The basics is that he has no case to answer. If I were to be Tinubu’s advocate, the defense argument would be, one can have funds in your account without you knowing what the owner of the funds do or how it was acquired. Any close associate can wire funds into your account and give you Wrong info about the funds.
that embassy letter is forged.

I have strong reasons to believe that so called embassy letter is not genuine. Not like it will change anything as na naija we dey, but just for the sake of knowledge.

I have shared some points to note earlier. Here is another, that document has a typo that is hard to ignore. The red flags!

2. The typing alignment is not justified format, even the 1993 document was properly aligned in justified typing format. How could a 2003 not be? Compare the two below.
3. Inec supposedly received a document in 2010 when Tinubu wasn't vying for any post in 2010.

2 Likes

Re: Can Tinubu’s $460,000 ‘settlement’ In Drug Trafficking Case Disqualify Him? by GeneralDae: 12:01pm On Nov 14, 2022
TheGoodJoe:

The judgment clearly stated that the American government took the money because they were proceeds of drug trafficking, not because Tinubu did not pay taxes. This money is proceeds of drug trafficking.
If there were proven proceeds of drug trafficking, the American Government would not just take 460 thousand dollars out of about 2 million dollars and then let him go free with the rest.
Re: Can Tinubu’s $460,000 ‘settlement’ In Drug Trafficking Case Disqualify Him? by GeneralDae: 12:04pm On Nov 14, 2022
TheGoodJoe:

For the last point, Tinubu had a chance of recovering a million dollars, so he would not go into hiding.
It's just like saying Hushpuppi, knowing he has been caught would present himself to American courts because he believes he would be able to save 75% of his money back. It makes no sense.
Re: Can Tinubu’s $460,000 ‘settlement’ In Drug Trafficking Case Disqualify Him? by TheGoodJoe(m): 12:04pm On Nov 14, 2022
GeneralDae:

By the way, you can't open series of accounts for drug dealers, setup a corporation for them and claim innocent. It can fly when telling people but come on, when it came to forfeiting the money, Tinubu had no cover.

That forfeiture is proof that he was involved in moving drug money. Not involved in the direct sales but he accepted by not making a claim that he moved Drug money.

That makes him ineligible to run for president.
Re: Can Tinubu’s $460,000 ‘settlement’ In Drug Trafficking Case Disqualify Him? by Nobody: 12:05pm On Nov 14, 2022
Bola Ahmed Tinubu: From Drug Lord To Presidential Candidate by David Hundeyin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ji210K94MgQ

1 Like

Re: Can Tinubu’s $460,000 ‘settlement’ In Drug Trafficking Case Disqualify Him? by TheGoodJoe(m): 12:06pm On Nov 14, 2022
GeneralDae:

If there were proven proceeds of drug trafficking, the American Government would not just take 460 thousand dollars out of about 2 million dollars and then let him go free with the rest.

It is already explained in the documentary that the cases cost a lot of money and the government loses tax money financially but following these cases. Imagine spending millions on drug cases to rescue a few millions.

That was why the forfeiture deal worked in BAT's favor.
Re: Can Tinubu’s $460,000 ‘settlement’ In Drug Trafficking Case Disqualify Him? by TheGoodJoe(m): 12:08pm On Nov 14, 2022
GeneralDae:

It's just like saying Hushpuppi, knowing he has been caught would present himself to American courts because he believes he would be able to save 75% of his money back. It makes no sense.

If there was a plea deal on the table for Hushpuppi to forfeit $20 million and walk away, he would gladly jump at it.
Re: Can Tinubu’s $460,000 ‘settlement’ In Drug Trafficking Case Disqualify Him? by Owologbo(m): 12:10pm On Nov 14, 2022
masinga07:
The old man should be disqualified. He's a disaster that should never be allowed to happen to Nigeria. All hands must be on deck to stop him from becoming the president.
He should not be disqualified.
him contesting is an advantage to some people. He's here to split votes; which is a welcome development.
Re: Can Tinubu’s $460,000 ‘settlement’ In Drug Trafficking Case Disqualify Him? by ComeToJesus: 12:13pm On Nov 14, 2022
River no dey carry who no put leg for river.

The man's way is not pure. He's crooked, hence, not suitable to be Nigeria's president because of this baggage of ignominy and criminality.
Re: Can Tinubu’s $460,000 ‘settlement’ In Drug Trafficking Case Disqualify Him? by Owologbo(m): 12:14pm On Nov 14, 2022
ladiguy:

You guys don’t have sense. Why not dig in to know more about the case. Tinubu wasn’t caught with drugs but the law enforcement traced funds that belongs to a drug baron in his account. You no go dig to know history, just see matter online start to Dey drop comments. Oga oooo

So how did drugs money get into his account? Do you think money will just land from drugs cartels without a link?
Re: Can Tinubu’s $460,000 ‘settlement’ In Drug Trafficking Case Disqualify Him? by 2016v2017: 12:15pm On Nov 14, 2022
masinga07:
The old man should be disqualified. He's a disaster that should never be allowed to happen to Nigeria. All hands must be on deck to stop him from becoming the president.
Re: Can Tinubu’s $460,000 ‘settlement’ In Drug Trafficking Case Disqualify Him? by 2016v2017: 12:16pm On Nov 14, 2022
Validated:
Tinubu is guilty. You guys should stop massaging this crime.
Action should be taken immediately
Re: Can Tinubu’s $460,000 ‘settlement’ In Drug Trafficking Case Disqualify Him? by Smokedetector: 12:16pm On Nov 14, 2022
A country morally bankrupt will hardly go far. This is a moral issue. Everything about that man is questionable. I am certain his supporters know this and are having doubts but alas they are too deep in or also morally bankrupt or maybe they just don't care which is equally worrisome.

Nigeria may not be working now but the office of the president is revered and should not have this terrible 'drug cloud' hanging over it.

This man himself has not addressed these drug related issues but was quick to respond to fake news about INEC seeking to disqualify him. Purported 'fake news release" itself likely to be a gimmick from his own camp.

Most recently the US extradited former president of Honduras for drug related charges and that is a massive dent on Honduras.

Several times this man has spoken, he has shown to be entitled and arrogant. This is someone who is vying to enter the highest office of the land. He has refused to debate other colleagues while giving flimsy excuses.

Tag this as a rant, a wailing or associate it with an ethnic agitator e.t.c but the truth is the truth. This man is of questionable character.

Elites will mostly benefit from this man's presidency while the masses will continue to suffer and trust me, the elites do not give 2 f*ucks about you.

And to those who keep shouting Lagos as an example. I lived in lagos for over 20 recent years and the quality of life there is appalling. It is not a place to be extremely proud of. Pipe borne water ? Constant electricity ? Means of transportation ? Commute ? Now let's mention thuggery , insecurity , extremely low paying jobs and a host of other issues. Bottom line is Lagos should not be where it is with the amount of revenue it earns. Most revenue generating pipelines are directly linked to this man. He has a massive straw in Lagos finances.

Like I said , with how dire the circumstances are , we do not need someone to turn Nigeria into a giant conglomerate with revenue leaks directly flowing into someone's pockets. We need people with sound minds and ideas who appreciate how dire the situation is and people that are not out for selfish interests.

Alas , we have the chance as a people to change the narrative in 2023. It's our chance to do the right thing. But are we going to take it?
Re: Can Tinubu’s $460,000 ‘settlement’ In Drug Trafficking Case Disqualify Him? by Hafeexla(m): 12:18pm On Nov 14, 2022
Zetty177x:

Your Hero pushed drug and these drugs would have killed several people and u blame Ibos for Tinubu's irresponsibility.aint u maad like this? I'm not Ibo .. okay? I just like fairness.

Let Bobo Chicago tell us what transpired. Did he push drugs or not? What was his connection to the drug lord that is now on life imprisonment ...

I don't have to go through these argument because firstly Nairaland is a faceless forum that seun himself couldn't maintain to restored it sanity. And to give you a snippet, we have the names of those who have been caught for drug these year, what about compiling there name and then we would be able to know those who are really pushing drug.
Re: Can Tinubu’s $460,000 ‘settlement’ In Drug Trafficking Case Disqualify Him? by 7arrows: 12:18pm On Nov 14, 2022
Willie2015:

And Peter Obi(former chairman of a bank) that carried .....
N250m cash in the boot of a car and drove from.....
East to Lagos is a honest man..... cheesy grin angry

Stop looking for excuses where there is none. If he carried carried 250m in cash is it your money? Even if he did that's he own risk and not urs. Pls try to big up and dont reason low. We all know in our hearts that hes a better candidate than the other 2.
Re: Can Tinubu’s $460,000 ‘settlement’ In Drug Trafficking Case Disqualify Him? by RestructureNig1: 12:18pm On Nov 14, 2022
ALTERNATEID:

The US government is not looking for Tinubu. He has no case to answer anywhere in the world except in the inconsequential court of hateful ipob supporters of Peter Obi. Tinubu was at the nomination of Barack Obama as Democratic candidate in 2012 on special invitation. He was still in the US for surgery last year. So, what exactly are you noisemakers talking about?

This is PDP accusing Tinubu of drug trafficking not IPOB
Re: Can Tinubu’s $460,000 ‘settlement’ In Drug Trafficking Case Disqualify Him? by hustla(m): 12:19pm On Nov 14, 2022
ladiguy:

You are kid. I have learnt a lot still learning. Make sure are keep tab on your friends on this forum cuz soon you will need them when you start learning.

Good day.

undecided

You don finish or you still Wan shalaye?
Re: Can Tinubu’s $460,000 ‘settlement’ In Drug Trafficking Case Disqualify Him? by GeneralDae: 12:26pm On Nov 14, 2022
TheGoodJoe:

If there was a plea deal on the table for Hushpuppi to forfeit $20 million and walk away, he would gladly jump at it.
Why would America be willing to go with such a plea deal in the first place?
Re: Can Tinubu’s $460,000 ‘settlement’ In Drug Trafficking Case Disqualify Him? by GeneralDae: 12:27pm On Nov 14, 2022
TheGoodJoe:

It is already explained in the documentary that the cases cost a lot of money and the government loses tax money financially but following these cases. Imagine spending millions on drug cases to rescue a few millions.

That was why the forfeiture deal worked in BAT's favor.
Forfeiture deal that allows him pay only 25%??
Re: Can Tinubu’s $460,000 ‘settlement’ In Drug Trafficking Case Disqualify Him? by ladiguy(m): 12:39pm On Nov 14, 2022
onuman:

Once Tinubu kept money from drug trafficking people, Tinubu is an accomplice to the crime of drug trafficking.

You are free to take the car to the court of law. Don’t just comment here
Re: Can Tinubu’s $460,000 ‘settlement’ In Drug Trafficking Case Disqualify Him? by ladiguy(m): 12:43pm On Nov 14, 2022
hustla:

undecided

You don finish or you still Wan shalaye?

Your elders will continue from where I stopped. Go home and discuss with them.
Re: Can Tinubu’s $460,000 ‘settlement’ In Drug Trafficking Case Disqualify Him? by okorogodwin4(m): 12:44pm On Nov 14, 2022
Tillubuu is a criminal
Re: Can Tinubu’s $460,000 ‘settlement’ In Drug Trafficking Case Disqualify Him? by ladiguy(m): 12:46pm On Nov 14, 2022
onuman:

How? U na still small. I pray u na no face crisis. You will learn that sometimes we differ for what we know nothing about
Re: Can Tinubu’s $460,000 ‘settlement’ In Drug Trafficking Case Disqualify Him? by Willie2015: 1:01pm On Nov 14, 2022
7arrows:

Stop looking for excuses where there is none. If he carried carried 250m in cash is it your money? Even if he did that's he own risk and not urs. Pls try to big up and dont reason low. We all know in our hearts that hes a better candidate than the other 2.

Double Standard !!!!! ...
Its absolutely right for you to condemn Tinubu without a court conviction...
And a statement from the US of no record of crime.....
And yet you exonerate Obi as an exbanker for transporting huge cash across regions ......
On the assumption that Obi is a smaller thief....
How is Obi a better candidate than both Tinubu and Atiku based on their records... ?
Re: Can Tinubu’s $460,000 ‘settlement’ In Drug Trafficking Case Disqualify Him? by GeneralDae: 1:03pm On Nov 14, 2022
TheGoodJoe:

By the way, you can't open series of accounts for drug dealers, setup a corporation for them and claim innocent. It can fly when telling people but come on, when it came to forfeiting the money, Tinubu had no cover.

That forfeiture is proof that he was involved in moving drug money. Not involved in the direct sales but he accepted by not making a claim that he moved Drug money.

That makes him ineligible to run for president.
If you are are a financial consulting company, you may not always know the line of business of your clients. Isn't that a possibility?
Re: Can Tinubu’s $460,000 ‘settlement’ In Drug Trafficking Case Disqualify Him? by onuman: 1:12pm On Nov 14, 2022
Treadway:
that embassy letter is forged.

Even a secondary school student of today can easily understand that the letter purportedly sent from the US embassy in Nigeria was forged.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Policemen Protest In Ondo Over Non-Payment Of Election Allowance / Hausa And Fulani? What Is The Difference? / South East Governors Meeting In Owerri (Photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.