Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,557 members, 7,820,012 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 08:26 AM

Gej Delivers Satellite Launch To Monitor Floods - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Gej Delivers Satellite Launch To Monitor Floods (3637 Views)

RRS Police Deploys Surveillance Drones To Monitor Crime In Lagos (Photos) / Court Finds Obasanjo Guilty Of Contempt Over Book Launch; To Rule On Punishment / Nigeria's Satellite Launch Suffers Setback (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Gej Delivers Satellite Launch To Monitor Floods by somze(f): 2:25pm On Aug 24, 2011
"Following the floods of last year, this administration in fulfillment of my statement that your lives have value in my eyes, developed and launched the NigeriaSat-2 and NigeriaSat-X Satellites. These satellites were designed and built by Nigerian Engineers/Scientist in conjunction with British Scientist and will help, expand Internet Bandwidth, monitor the weather and provide early warning to prevent natural disasters like floods, crop monitoring and urban planning." GEJ

From President Goodluck's Facebook page
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=701810990&sk=wall&ref=notif&notif_t=wall#!/jonathangoodluck
Re: Gej Delivers Satellite Launch To Monitor Floods by kodewrita(m): 2:34pm On Aug 24, 2011
I guess the next president is going to launch his own satellites too. Waiting to see the ROI from this launch too.
Re: Gej Delivers Satellite Launch To Monitor Floods by Ucheosefoh(m): 2:37pm On Aug 24, 2011
Sign of good things to come under GEJ Admistration
Re: Gej Delivers Satellite Launch To Monitor Floods by tomzman: 2:46pm On Aug 24, 2011
Ucheosefoh:

Sign of good things to come under GEJ Admistration
be deceiving yourself.

Ucheosefoh:

Admistration
though no one is perfect but make sure you check your spellings well before posting.
Re: Gej Delivers Satellite Launch To Monitor Floods by fidelng(m): 2:54pm On Aug 24, 2011
But Nigeria can not monitor nigersat-x, so the president have fail in that one
Re: Gej Delivers Satellite Launch To Monitor Floods by GeeCee(m): 3:01pm On Aug 24, 2011
Abeg was d satelite designed, built and launched within one year. Methink it would take years to do dat.
Re: Gej Delivers Satellite Launch To Monitor Floods by bejeria101(m): 3:04pm On Aug 24, 2011
pple are hungry,unemployed you are launching satelite how does that put food on my table.nigeria and unfocused so-called leaders
Re: Gej Delivers Satellite Launch To Monitor Floods by Nobody: 3:05pm On Aug 24, 2011
Wasting of funds
Re: Gej Delivers Satellite Launch To Monitor Floods by somze(f): 3:08pm On Aug 24, 2011
bejeria101:

pple are hungry,unemployed you are launching satelite how does that put food on my table.nigeria and unfocused so-called leaders

So we should wait until every mouth has been fed before we launch a satellite that can prevent deaths due to flooding and natural disaster?

I am guessing no hungry or unemployed people existed when US, Russia, China, France, Japan, UK, India, Israel, Iran, Ukraine etc launched theirs.

Keep talking!!!
Re: Gej Delivers Satellite Launch To Monitor Floods by kokogee: 3:10pm On Aug 24, 2011
The same story all the time. I now realise why GEJ called IBB his mentor; is like GEJ is about to take over the position of the most deceitful leader Nigeria ever had from IBB. Just that GEJ tell silly lies but more often than any other leader we ever had.

He made promises and never put strategies in place on how to implement the promises, all he does is make thousands of promises and business continues as usual.

May be I'm wrong, can sm1 tell me how launching of satellite stops flood when our drainage system and roads are terrible? How do Nigerian youths lives be improved in terms of education and jobs by GEJ's satellite nonsense? How do our electricity and water supply improve with satellite?

I only pity Nigerians/Nigeria, bcs it seems the situation will never change since Nigerians are so comfortable with the current situation.

GOD HELP NIGERIA ONLY IF NIGERIANS ARE READY TO HELP THEMSELVES!!!
Re: Gej Delivers Satellite Launch To Monitor Floods by PeeDaVinci: 3:11pm On Aug 24, 2011
i hate watever gej stands for with passion and i have no doubt in my mind that nigeria will never move forward with the likes of gej in power.

however, i must commend him for this , completing what has been started since the time of obj, thereby displayin one very rare quality in our govt which is very important - continuity
Re: Gej Delivers Satellite Launch To Monitor Floods by MMM2(m): 3:14pm On Aug 24, 2011
what of d one 4 kidnappers
Re: Gej Delivers Satellite Launch To Monitor Floods by somze(f): 3:18pm On Aug 24, 2011
kokogee:

The same story all the time. I now realise why GEJ called IBB his mentor; is like GEJ is about to take over the position of the most deceitful leader Nigeria ever had from IBB. Just that GEJ tell silly lies but more often than any other leader we ever had.

He made promises and never put strategies in place on how to implement the promises, all he does is make thousands of promises and business continues as usual.

May be I'm wrong, can sm1 tell me how launching of satellite stops flood when our drainage system and roads are terrible? How do Nigerian youths lives be improved in terms of education and jobs by GEJ's satellite nonsense? How do our electricity and water supply improve with satellite?

I only pity Nigerians/Nigeria, bcs it seems the situation will never change since Nigerians are so comfortable with the current situation.

GOD HELP NIGERIA ONLY IF NIGERIANS ARE READY TO HELP THEMSELVES!!!

So the Floods in Niger and Bauchi (not to mention neighboring countries like Senegal) were due to drainage Keep talking.

Get an understanding of Satellite systems before commenting on a public forum
Re: Gej Delivers Satellite Launch To Monitor Floods by Kx: 3:23pm On Aug 24, 2011
little wonder we don't even know nor visit federal govt website.
why would anybody do that when GEJ uses Facebook like its the govt mouth piece
Re: Gej Delivers Satellite Launch To Monitor Floods by donor: 3:32pm On Aug 24, 2011
@bejeria101

i beg no loose hope. sidon dey wait, d food go soon reach your dining.
Re: Gej Delivers Satellite Launch To Monitor Floods by philip0906(m): 3:34pm On Aug 24, 2011
undecided undecided undecided
Re: Gej Delivers Satellite Launch To Monitor Floods by nigerhead(m): 3:36pm On Aug 24, 2011
@mR. Somze can you please explain how the satellite is going to prevent flooding? (I dont know, so I'm asking you, since you seem to know, no need for any elaborate explanation, try just simplify it; THANK YOU!)
Re: Gej Delivers Satellite Launch To Monitor Floods by kokogee: 3:37pm On Aug 24, 2011
somze:

So the Floods in Niger and Bauchi (not to mention neighboring countries like Senegal) were due to drainage Keep talking.

Get an understanding of Satellite systems before commenting on a public forum

It is not about keep talking, there was a satellite launched some yrs ago for same purpose of flood monitoring; Lagos and some other part of Nigeria suffer huge loss due to flood some weeks ago while everybody was helplessly watching lives and properties destroyed.

I'm not a satellite expert, but I think u'v said nothing as regard HOW SATELLITE CAN HELP PREVENT FLOOD. KINDLY EXPLAIN
Re: Gej Delivers Satellite Launch To Monitor Floods by Oboma1(m): 3:43pm On Aug 24, 2011
Me think we need this satellites, so that we can monitor the aircrafts flying our cash out.
It will also help locate kidnappers in the creeks and forests!.
Re: Gej Delivers Satellite Launch To Monitor Floods by real4life: 3:46pm On Aug 24, 2011
Haba Mr. President why seeking cheap popularity?

I was at University of Surrey few years ago and these satellite projects have been ongoing for almost 10 years
Re: Gej Delivers Satellite Launch To Monitor Floods by freezy(m): 3:48pm On Aug 24, 2011
kokogee:

It is not about keep talking, there was a satellite launched some yrs ago for same purpose of flood monitoring; Lagos and some other part of Nigeria suffer huge loss due to flood some weeks ago while everybody was helplessly watching lives and properties destroyed.

I'm not a satellite expert, but I think u'v said nothing as regard HOW SATELLITE CAN HELP PREVENT FLOOD. KINDLY EXPLAIN

^^^^
Satellites do not prevent flooding. However, satellites have the ability to provide detailed  warnings thus trigger measures that will reduce the impact of the floods on life and property.
Re: Gej Delivers Satellite Launch To Monitor Floods by 2good(m): 3:51pm On Aug 24, 2011
Solution to flood problem in Nigeria is heavy investment in proper planning of settlements with major emphasis  given to modern drainage system. I don't know why its too difficult for the government to think in that direction. If they can be spending money reclaiming land from water in Lagos Island, why then cant they reason on how to prevent water from disturbing people living in these settlements. The recent earthquake in the East part of United States of America, which is not close to any fault line(converging plates) is a sign to show that Lagos is at a risk of a serious Tsunami and not just flood because of the poor planning it has
Re: Gej Delivers Satellite Launch To Monitor Floods by phlame(m): 3:53pm On Aug 24, 2011
$'sss of dollars embezzled,
Re: Gej Delivers Satellite Launch To Monitor Floods by kokogee: 3:57pm On Aug 24, 2011
Oboma1:

Me think we need this satellites, so that we can monitor the aircrafts flying our cash out.
It will also help locate kidnappers in the creeks and forests!.

Agreed that we need the satellite, but for now I don't see it as an achievement when the country suffers from a lot of socio-economic problems.

The gov wants to make it look like it is an achievement, that's why they'r telling lies that it helps control flood.

Ur claim that it would help locate kidnappers in the creeks is a fallacy. if not, explain how.

I blv this is just an attempt by GEJ to divert attention from his failures. They keep telling us how they achieved things that are abstracts and have no impact on the lives of Nigerians, but they never achieve any thing that eyes can see!
Re: Gej Delivers Satellite Launch To Monitor Floods by Thatdave(m): 4:06pm On Aug 24, 2011
phlame:

These
satellites were designed and built
by Nigerian Engineers/Scientist in
conjunction with British Scientist
and will help, expand Internet
Bandwidth
, monitor the weather
and provide early warning to
prevent natural disasters like
floods, crop monitoring and
urban planning." GEJ
i bolded some parts so that our mentally incapacitated GEJ critics looking for how 'food on the table' can see. Expanded Internet bandwidth will definitely benefit everyone in this forum. PS: for our lesser educated brethren, satellites have a life span (3yrs)
Re: Gej Delivers Satellite Launch To Monitor Floods by Bawss1(m): 4:07pm On Aug 24, 2011
I think the satellite launch was a good thing however what I find objectionable is the 'spin' attempt by GEJ. He says "Following the floods of last year, this administration in fulfillment of my statement that your lives have value in my eyes, developed and launched the NigeriaSat-2 and NigeriaSat-X Satellites."
I mean that statement suggests that the satellites where built within a year as a result of a directive from GEJ. Come on. Looks more like he wants to score points. The C-in-C should be above all this.
Re: Gej Delivers Satellite Launch To Monitor Floods by maclatunji: 4:07pm On Aug 24, 2011
Let us thank President Obasanjo for initiating Nigeria's space programme, President Yar'adua for sustaining it and President Jonathan for ensuring the delivery of these 2 satellites.

Having said that, if there is anybody who should be bragging about Satellites in Nigeria it is Obasanjo, his administration did most of the hardwork. GEJ is just riding on his wings.

Mr. President does not seem to think he has any duties to his citizens, since he now broadcasts everything done as a MAJOR ACHIEVEMENT! I no blame am, na so our people advance reach,
Re: Gej Delivers Satellite Launch To Monitor Floods by kokogee: 4:07pm On Aug 24, 2011
freezy:

^^^^
Satellites do not prevent flooding. However, satellites have the ability to provide detailed  warnings thus trigger measures that will reduce the impact of the floods on life and property.

Great! while 'measures' that reduce the impact of floods are being triggered, why can't GEJ concentrate on implementing simple and visible measures such as proper drainage and road construction rather than waiting for satellite to tell him how to how to implement blueprint on town planning.

Note: billions are spent/embezzled in the said project.
Re: Gej Delivers Satellite Launch To Monitor Floods by Bawss1(m): 4:11pm On Aug 24, 2011
Thatdave:

i bolded some parts so that our mentally incapacitated GEJ critics looking for how 'food on the table' can see. Expanded Internet bandwidth will definitely benefit everyone in this forum. PS: for our lesser educated brethren, satellites have a life span (3yrs)

shocked
Says who.
Re: Gej Delivers Satellite Launch To Monitor Floods by Sicherheit(m): 4:13pm On Aug 24, 2011
Getting the satellite is useless, if they don't have an evacuation plan in place. If today the satellite warns that there will be flood in Bauchi, what is the next course of action? undecided
Re: Gej Delivers Satellite Launch To Monitor Floods by texazzpete(m): 4:19pm On Aug 24, 2011
So there are people here that actually believe these satellites were designed, built and launched in one year?

Even if your President says something really brainless, are you mandated to put your brains out to pasture? Dolts!
Re: Gej Delivers Satellite Launch To Monitor Floods by kokogee: 4:27pm On Aug 24, 2011
Sicherheit:

Getting the satellite is useless, if they don't have an evacuation plan in place. If today the satellite warns that there will be flood in Bauchi, what is the next course of action? undecided

U'v spoken the truth.

Imagine a simple situation of collapsed houses where it takes NEMA over three days to bring out dead bodies. A house collapsed in Lagos about 4 weeks ago and equipments that NEMA officials were using include things like hammer, digger, shovel TO HELP RESCUE PPL FROM A 3-STOREY BUILDING THAT COLLAPSED. How do this kind of ill-equipped ppl respond to occurrences such as FLOOD, EARTHQUAKE etc

Is just like sm1 buying a 54inch plasma TV into his 10*10 one-room apartment with no bed or chair in it. WHO IS DECEIVING WHO? MISPLACED PRIORITY!!!

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

GEJ On Launch Of The Youwin Initiative / Ibb, Buhari, Atiku Are The Major Sponsor Of Boko Haram - Ex Boko Haram Leader / BREAKING: El-rufai Is Boko Haram’s Executive Commander – Ihejirika

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.