Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,740 members, 7,824,132 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 11:58 PM

Gej Delivers Satellite Launch To Monitor Floods - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Gej Delivers Satellite Launch To Monitor Floods (3639 Views)

RRS Police Deploys Surveillance Drones To Monitor Crime In Lagos (Photos) / Court Finds Obasanjo Guilty Of Contempt Over Book Launch; To Rule On Punishment / Nigeria's Satellite Launch Suffers Setback (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Gej Delivers Satellite Launch To Monitor Floods by GeeCee(m): 4:32pm On Aug 24, 2011
texazzpete:

So there are people here that actually believe these satellites were designed, built and launched in one year?

Even if your President says something really brainless, are you mandated to put your brains out to pasture? Dolts!

Neva said i believed it. Just trying to see why GEJ wil make it sound as if all these were done within 1 year of his empty promise.
One thing is dat d man is yet to disappoint me; i neva believe he can take Nigeria to greater height.
Re: Gej Delivers Satellite Launch To Monitor Floods by DrDre1(m): 4:39pm On Aug 24, 2011
Hmm, GEJ again. Are these not the same satellites that are generating controversies already? He would have cleared the air on that first before his (usual) silly talk
Re: Gej Delivers Satellite Launch To Monitor Floods by lexicon(m): 4:40pm On Aug 24, 2011
somze:

So the Floods in Niger and Bauchi (not to mention neighboring countries like Senegal) were due to drainage Keep talking.

Get an understanding of Satellite systems before commenting on a public forum

The guy is not prioritizing our needs and u are here spewing rubbish  angry
What are the things u think we need to know abt satellites ? Are u one of GEJ's beneficiaries ?
Re: Gej Delivers Satellite Launch To Monitor Floods by TenKobo1: 4:57pm On Aug 24, 2011
The problem with this man is that of prority, what a waste of fund, what a waste of time and tenure!
Re: Gej Delivers Satellite Launch To Monitor Floods by freezy(m): 5:01pm On Aug 24, 2011
kokogee:

Great! while 'measures' that reduce the impact of floods are being triggered, why can't GEJ concentrate on implementing simple and visible measures such as proper drainage and road construction rather than waiting for satellite to tell him how to how to implement blueprint on town planning.

Note: billions are spent/embezzled in the said project.

Well, that is his shizzle. I only can tell about the capability of a satellite.
I do know that satellites cost a fortune. The cheapest is about $50m (7.5b naira) and some goes as high as $700m (105b naira).  shocked
Meeen. . .  that is a lot of money o.
But considering the fact it costs an average of $3.5m (525m naira) to build a road per mile, I can't but wonder how many miles of road 105b naira can build.  undecided
Just a thought.
Re: Gej Delivers Satellite Launch To Monitor Floods by Ibime(m): 5:02pm On Aug 24, 2011
GEJ is a crude opportunist. He did the same thing when the trains were launched. Nigersat project has been in motion since 2007. Why take credit as "response to natural disasters of last year"
Re: Gej Delivers Satellite Launch To Monitor Floods by WebSurfer(m): 5:20pm On Aug 24, 2011
what have this man done again
Re: Gej Delivers Satellite Launch To Monitor Floods by Yeske2(m): 5:21pm On Aug 24, 2011
Ehmm! Am i supposed to reply to this post? GEJ sef, he wouldn't stop amusing me
Re: Gej Delivers Satellite Launch To Monitor Floods by boyt1: 5:33pm On Aug 24, 2011
somze:

So we should wait until every mouth has been fed before we launch a satellite that can prevent deaths due to flooding and natural disaster?

I am guessing no hungry or unemployed people existed when US, Russia, China, France, Japan, UK, India, Israel, Iran, Ukraine etc launched theirs.

Keep talking!!!
somze:

So we should wait until every mouth has been fed before we launch a satellite that can prevent deaths due to flooding and natural disaster?

I am guessing no hungry or unemployed people existed when US, Russia, China, France, Japan, UK, India, Israel, Iran, Ukraine etc launched theirs.

Keep talking!!!

God bless you somze. some hungry fools here always say the president should not carry out any development until ALL Nigerians have enough to eat.
Re: Gej Delivers Satellite Launch To Monitor Floods by kulutempa: 6:43pm On Aug 24, 2011
kokogee:

U'v spoken the truth.

Imagine a simple situation of collapsed houses where it takes NEMA over three days to bring out dead bodies. A house collapsed in Lagos about 4 weeks ago and equipments that NEMA officials were using include things like hammer, digger, shovel TO HELP RESCUE PPL FROM A 3-STOREY BUILDING THAT COLLAPSED. How do this kind of ill-equipped ppl respond to occurrences such as FLOOD, EARTHQUAKE etc

Is just like sm1 buying a 54inch plasma TV into his 10*10 one-room apartment with no bed or chair in it. WHO IS DECEIVING WHO? MISPLACED PRIORITY!!!

Indeed. That's the typical backward thinking, shallow mindset of our 'great' leaders. Reminds me of the turbines that were purchased under Obasanjo for use in power stations only to be abandoned at the ports when it transpired that they could not be taken across a road bridge on the way to their destination! grin
Re: Gej Delivers Satellite Launch To Monitor Floods by reindeer: 6:49pm On Aug 24, 2011
GEJ has become synonymous with USELESS, . .TALKS BEFORE THINKING. . . .CRUDE OPPORTUNIST . . . .A WASTE OF SPACE angry angry
Re: Gej Delivers Satellite Launch To Monitor Floods by IG: 8:00pm On Aug 24, 2011
I think it's wrong for GEJ to take the credit for the satellites for himself alone. Most of the work was done by Obasanjo. Secondly, the two satellites can not provide internet bandwidth. They are earth observation satellites and not communications satellite. Nigcomsat is our communication satellite and not the NigeriaSat series of satellites. I think whoever wrote that speech for GEJ should be queried.
Re: Gej Delivers Satellite Launch To Monitor Floods by EkoIle1: 8:37pm On Aug 24, 2011
This man is yet to build a hen cage, but he's taking credit for everything under the sun. Odechukwu indeed.
Re: Gej Delivers Satellite Launch To Monitor Floods by Aderupoko2: 9:05pm On Aug 24, 2011
What is the F.u.k.ing meaning of this rubbish venture,infact GEJ tire me oh
Re: Gej Delivers Satellite Launch To Monitor Floods by markolini(m): 9:11pm On Aug 24, 2011
THE 'HONORABLU' MINISTER OF SCIENCE AND TECH HAS BEING EVADING THE QUESTION OF SATELLITE ALL DAY, D GUY NO GREE TALK LIE OR TRUTH, SO ULTIMATELY GEJ IS A LIAR, SATELITE GO LAUNCH, 9JA NO GO SHAKE??, ABEGI!!!, I NO KUKU VOTE AM, I KNEW FROM D ONSET DAT HE WAS MORE NOISE DAN ACTION, CHANNELING ALL IS NIGER-DELTA ENERGY TO PUSHING A 6 YRS TERM BILL, WEN NUTTIN DEY WORK, mstchewwww,
Re: Gej Delivers Satellite Launch To Monitor Floods by marcus1234: 9:13pm On Aug 24, 2011
Re: Gej Delivers Satellite Launch To Monitor Floods by member479760: 9:14pm On Aug 24, 2011
this satellite we cannot see it, we are only good in what someone cannot see. let him lunch what we all can see.

Please, lunch 24/7 electricity that we all can see.
Re: Gej Delivers Satellite Launch To Monitor Floods by ogbori(m): 9:22pm On Aug 24, 2011
cry cry cry cry cry
It appears the most relevant issue in Nigeria is 'HOW TO LAUNCH SATELLITE"
The first one failed so another was launched to support or replace it.
It was launched for security, weather and to improve broadband.  Is there an improvement in any of these three?

So the Floods in Niger and Bauchi (not to mention neighboring countries like Senegal) were due to drainage Keep talking.

Get an understanding of Satellite systems before commenting on a public forum

Was there a warning to the Lagos and Ogun flooding.  Nigeria is almost natural disaster free . . .
The satellite was designed by Nigerian and launched abroad. What stops us launching it in Nigeria? Naaaa! They had to be secretly launched for SECURITY reason, for climatic reason (WEATHER) and finally it could be so it won't affect the existing BROADBAND.
TTTRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAASSSSSSSSSSHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

The good news is, like someone said, there is going to be another launching in another 3years just like some expert said.  Meaning twice the amount would be spent for two every three year just to sustain flooding prevention, security and broadband.
The bad news is, we cant afford to pay minimum wages, have good road, water, power, fund the schools, work on Agriculture, provide other basic / social amenities.

All I know is we should launch another one which will determine if we are in our right senses. . . and consider if they really exist. .
Re: Gej Delivers Satellite Launch To Monitor Floods by Beaf: 9:55pm On Aug 24, 2011
The success of the last two satellites in highly inspiring, especially when it is considered that one was made by Nigerian scientists.
It is a feat of confidence and self-belief hitherto lacking in the country.

Both satellites are contain advanced technologies that can even be used to recognise and watch car sized objects on the ground. That easily points to their possible use in intelligence gathering, surveillance, military, disaster monitoring etc. It is a wonderful leap forward indeed, all those talking about GEJ not getting his "priorities right" are just making themselves look ridiculous. What priorities can be greater than technological advancement?
Re: Gej Delivers Satellite Launch To Monitor Floods by Nobody: 10:21pm On Aug 24, 2011
MISPLACED PRIORITY angry angry angry
Re: Gej Delivers Satellite Launch To Monitor Floods by ogbori(m): 10:39pm On Aug 24, 2011
It is a wonderful leap forward indeed, all those talking about GEJ not getting his "priorities right" are just making themselves look ridiculous. What priorities can be greater than technological advancement?

Technological setback.
Re: Gej Delivers Satellite Launch To Monitor Floods by AkoEja: 10:48pm On Aug 24, 2011
The only things Nigerians understand is give them money or food, Tha satellite program started during Obasanjo's government. A satellite got lost, but the Chinese government is replacing it free of charge.The government need to invest i nall areas of the economy to better the lot of the people - this is just one of them. There was a time the US paid Nigeria a large sum of money for information obtained by our satellite - during Hurricane Katrina.
Re: Gej Delivers Satellite Launch To Monitor Floods by Nobody: 11:04pm On Aug 24, 2011
in other news gej takes credit for the rising of the sun as part of his promise of fresh air
Re: Gej Delivers Satellite Launch To Monitor Floods by henryskywalker2003(m): 2:38am On Aug 25, 2011
Well, Benin republic never and is not planning to launch a satellite but the have a better economy than Nigeria . Ivory Coast never launched a satellite but the have faster, and cheaper internet access. Ghana never launched a satellite but their major export is cocoa. Don't know about you guys but it makes me wonder how our neighbouring countries can have all this without needing to launch a satellite. The answer is simple. They had their priorities straight. We igbos have an adage we says, a man doesn't chase rats while his house is on fire. When we have settled the more important issues on the ground first, then we can look up to the sky and launch a million satellites if we want.
@somze, am sorry to trouble ur learned mind but can you please be so kind to explain how we need a satellite to monitor our crops(not that we even farm as mush as before cos we import even rice). Is it that we actually need to sit and watch it as it grows or what?

@akoeja, abeg can you tell us how come US paid nigeria a huge amount of money for info obtained from our satellite when they have launched at least 225 of theirs. Check out the link below
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_USA_satellites

Note: some of these satellites are out of commission but even the number of active ones is still enough to cover 5 Hurricane Katrinas as against one failed one by yours truly. Besides, lots of private corporations in the US have their own personal satellites, so explain how US government would justify spending tax payers dollars to get info that hundreds can provide within the country. Then again, even if they did pay us the money and we have a functioning satellite all these while, how have we put it into use and of what benefit has it been to you? A social studies student in any primary school can tell you in his sleep what he stands to gain from good roads, good healthcare facilities, better economy, 24/7 power supply etc. But u prefer to have a satellite smilling down on you. When other countries will be proudly showing of their achievements you and other GEJ mouthpieces will be pointing to the sky and telling us you have a satellite in space.
And for the person that claims that satellite has a life expectancy of 3years, I think you need to get your facts right before you post next time. As you can see from the list that US has satellites that has been active since 1993.on satellites if we want.
@somze, am sorry to trouble ur learned mind but can you please be so kind to explain how we need a satellite to monitor our crops(not that we even farm as mush as before cos we import even rice). Is it that we actually need to sit and watch it as it grows or what?

@akoeja, abeg can you tell us how come US paid nigeria a huge amount of money for info obtained from our satellite when they have launched at least 225 of theirs. Check out the link below
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_USA_satellites

Note: some of these satellites are out of commission but even the number of active ones is still enough to cover 5 Hurricane Katrinas as against one failed one by yours truly. Besides, lots of private corporations in the US have their own personal satellites, so explain how US government would justify spending tax payers dollars to get info that hundreds can provide within the country. Then again, even if they did pay us the money and we have a functioning satellite all these while, how have we put it into use and of what benefit has it been to you? A social studies student in any primary school can tell you in his sleep what he stands to gain from good roads, good healthcare facilities, better economy, 24/7 power supply etc. But u prefer to have a satellite smilling down on you. When other countries will be proudly showing of their achievements you and other GEJ mouthpieces will be pointing to the sky and telling us you have a satellite in space.
And for the person that claims that satellite has a life expectancy of 3years, I think you need to get your facts right before you post next time. As you can see from the list that US has satellites that has been active since 1993.
Re: Gej Delivers Satellite Launch To Monitor Floods by somze(f): 8:31am On Aug 25, 2011
Nigeria recently launched two new observation satellites designed to assist farmers and help with disaster management, among other tasks. Experts say the new satellites mark a major leap forward for the Nigerian space program.

At the top of the sky, where space begins, two satellites are gliding into position, oriented by the glow of the galaxy and the uplink command from Abuja. This is Nigeria's space program.

This week, a team of rocket scientists in Africa's most populous country are guiding into place Nigeria's third and fourth satellites, fired into orbit last week.

The two satellites include the first built by Africans, but they are not for mapping the cosmos. They are for mapping Lagos, a megacity that seems as vast as the Milky Way.

As many as 17 million people live in Lagos State alone, a crowded constellation of humanity that has hardly been mapped.

Cameras perched on Nigeria's two newest satellites will allow municipal leaders to chart the city they preside over, says Steve Young, who is head of business development for the company that built one of the two satellites, Surrey Satellite Technology.

Lagos residents will directly benefit from their country's space program, he says, and governments presiding over Africa's other megacities may soon follow.

"We often take it for granted in industrialized nations that we have all this information, we have accurate maps, we have land registries, we have planning systems, we have precision agriculture systems. We have all this stuff in place, but for a lot of countries, they don't," Young noted.

But the new satellites, Nigeria Sat-2 and Nigeria Sat-X, will do more than photograph sub-Saharan Africa's largest city. They will take infrared readings of Nigeria's farms, and beam down data estimating next season's crop forecast. They will also offer farmers satellite data on where to apply fertilizer, and keep tabs on how Nigeria's desert areas are spreading.

When disaster strikes, aid agencies will rely on the photographs the satellites provide.

Up to now when confronted by disasters Nigeria has often relied on purchased photos from other satellites, says Umar Isah of Nigerian Communications Satellites. He says the two new satellites will boost Nigeria's space capabilities.

"So if we can have our own satellite? And apart from that the four satellites that Nigeria has built, Nigerian engineers work on that, and if we're able to be launching this, we're able to build another one side by side with the Surrey engineers. So at least in terms of human development it's something," said Isah.

That, Young agrees, is Nigeria's real space dividend. More than 40 Nigerian space engineers are studying for PhD or Master's degrees in computer science worldwide, he says. He says when they come home, they will be like rocket fuel for the country's fledgling high-tech industry.

"You are now beginning to train a corps of very experienced engineers, high-technology technicians, and people who are going to benefit the wider economy," said Young. "That also is a very good effect that the Nigerians get in investing in high-tech programs. They've got to develop their economy and that's one of the ways they do that is by doing this."

Critics say the space program is a prestige mission by Nigeria's rich elite. Four-fifths of the country lives on less than $2 a day, despite an unending flow of oil money.

Isah says Nigerians cannot let their problems on Earth stop them from exploring the promise of the stars.
Re: Gej Delivers Satellite Launch To Monitor Floods by somze(f): 8:32am On Aug 25, 2011
Re: Gej Delivers Satellite Launch To Monitor Floods by conquerorb: 8:38am On Aug 25, 2011
i have long time ago learnt not to listen to what pple say b4 i do what i gats to do. abeg ,oooo wetin wona want the man to do b4 wona happy now?i does this, he not suppose to do this but dat. he does this, he is suppose to put food on your table first et 'el.i tire for some pple here oooo.
Re: Gej Delivers Satellite Launch To Monitor Floods by Bawss1(m): 9:28am On Aug 25, 2011
oyb:

in other news gej takes credit for the rising of the sun as part of his promise of fresh air

You couldn't have said it better.
Re: Gej Delivers Satellite Launch To Monitor Floods by kokogee: 9:34am On Aug 25, 2011
somze:

http://www.voanews.com/english/news/africa/Nigeria-Expects-Flow-of-Information-from-New-Satellites-128339308.html

Mr sombie; u'r really living up to your name. Does it mean that u could not explain how satellite controls flood as u claim? shocked All u could do is copy and paste without even adding a sentense? What kind of ppl (that walk with their heads but think using their legs) do we have in our generation.

May God heal u (and others like u) of your 'sombieism'
Re: Gej Delivers Satellite Launch To Monitor Floods by konkolok: 11:35am On Aug 25, 2011
With all the pressing problems in Nigeria begging for attention, people think a satellite in space is the most important thing a president should focus on? Well, it shows a lot of Nigerians are as fooolish as their president! Its so annoying that some stark idiooots like Somze and Beaf think the few sane ones are complaining about everything. Tell your Idioota to fix at least elecrticity and see if we wont acknowledge him.
Re: Gej Delivers Satellite Launch To Monitor Floods by markolini(m): 12:46pm On Aug 25, 2011
GUYS ITS A LIE, THERE IS NO SATELLITE,, WHERE DID IT LAUNCH FROM?,  AND JONATHAN WHO LIKES TAKING CREDIT 4 HIMSELF PUBLICLY WILL LAUNCH A SATELLITE AND HIS MOUTH WON'T TURN TO A VUVUZELA, BLARING ABOUT??,  ABEGI, AN SETUP, SUMTIN THING LIKE DAT IS TO BIG TO BE A SECRET IN A FEDERATION LIKE NIGERIA,
Re: Gej Delivers Satellite Launch To Monitor Floods by hercules07: 12:53pm On Aug 25, 2011
I doubt the Nigerian scientists designed and built it angle. Satellite bandwidth for internet access is no longer that important as terrestrial links are taking over the terrain, I feel the satellites are not for that purpose anyway (GEJ does not know the difference). It is a good thing to have the satellites in space along with good quality of life, if there is a choice to be made, satellites should be binned for better quality life.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Osun Sets-up Awolowo Centre For Philosophy, Ideology, Good Governance. / Ayegun: Dilemma Of A Community In Oyo State. / The U.S Navy New Super Gun - 7 times the Speed of Sound

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.