Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,977 members, 7,825,048 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 02:34 AM

Love And Faith - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Love And Faith (1431 Views)

Should I Still Keep Faith In Marrying Her? / Ha!!! She Confessed Her Love And It Was Like Ha!!!! / Differences Between True Love And Fake Love (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Love And Faith by emofine(f): 11:19pm On Aug 24, 2011
How intertwined are these two concepts? I ask this as a seasoned believer. . .

Regarding the relationship people have with their individual God one may notice some parallels mirrored in a prospering relationship between spouses.

Both pretty much acquire the same foundation:

Love
Trust
Discipline
Faithfulness
Commitment
etc

Since I've drawn my inspiration from faith I will relay a particular episode in the bible to solidify the points I'm trying to present. . .

Hosea under the instruction of God was married to a Harlot, which God later explained was a reflection of how the Israelites had prostituted themselves to other gods hence portraying "spiritual adultery" . .then there's a description of Jesus as the "Groom" and the Church as the "brides" etc (of course these are just Christian examples because I'm not too familiar with any other Holy Books pertaining to other faiths)

I know those extracts are all figurative and spiritual but it does carry features that bare resemblance to relationships between ordinary couples.

In Greek Terminology . . . Agape - meaning unconditional love can thus be applied to a person whom one is in love with or the God that they serve.

I often wondered that one that faithfully ties themselves with a particular God and has thus matured spiritually, does such a spiritual bond facilitate a successful relationship. . .as such individuals have gotten to experience the basic components needed to make a relationship last?
Re: Love And Faith by claremont(m): 11:46pm On Aug 24, 2011
[b]@OP: Pardon me for having penile erections whenever I see intellectually challenging topics like this in the romance section, quite a sweet departure from the drivel we are used to on here!

Now to answer your questions, there are two mutually exclusive (in my opinion) issues you have raised here. The concept of love, faith, and the inter-relationship between the two concepts. Firstly, most scientific studies on the "love" concept have proven that love does NOT exist. The feeling most people misconstrue as love is mere infatuation, or at most unbridled passion; there has never been any study that irrevocably proved that a concept of "love" exists. Therefore, love is a misnomer.

This brings me to the other issue which is faith. I do agree that there may be a rationale behind faith in such things like the sun rising in the morning, or the moon shining at night, but scientifically, faith lacks reason. Faith is a belief in the unseen, the unheard; on the other hand, science lives on hard facts/proof. Does a belief in the existence of a God somewhere make some people better in relationships? Of course not! If it does then Atheists wouldn't have long-lasting relationships, which would then mean that long-lasting relationships will be the exclusive preserve of the religious adherents, this in itself is absolutely ludicrous!

In summary, there is no documented scientific correlation between a belief in a God, and ability to maintain a long-lasting relationship. It may be just another myth perpetuated by religious goons to promote the perceived benefits of being in a religion.[/b] cool
Re: Love And Faith by emofine(f): 12:13am On Aug 25, 2011
claremont:

@OP: Pardon me for having penile erections whenever I see intellectually challenging topics like this in the romance section, quite a sweet departure from the drivel we are used to on here!

I'm glad I have your attention sir.

Now to answer your questions, there are two mutually exclusive (in my opinion) issues you have raised here. The concept of love, faith, and the inter-relationship between the two concepts. Firstly, most scientific studies on the "love" concept have proven that love does NOT exist. The feeling most people misconstrue as love is mere infatuation, or at most unbridled passion; there has never been any study that irrevocably proved that a concept of "love" exists. Therefore, love is a misnomer.

I respectfully disagree. I would never use science to define love nor measure it. Following the nature of the purpose of this thread, and if I was to heed onto a particular faith for counselling such as the Bible. The Bible states that God is love so thus "God" and "Love" are interchangeable. So I asked such a question as God (well at least according to Christianity) is marked as the source, so I wondered if loving Him and being a partaker of his love would affect an individuals personal relationship. . . I guess you are directed by science I was inspired by faith

This brings me to the other issue which is faith. I do agree that there may be a rational behind faith in such things like the sun rising in the morning, or the moon shining at night, but scientifically, faith lacks reason. Faith is a belief in the unseen, the unheard; on the other hand, science lives on hard facts/proof. Does a belief in the existence of a God somewhere make some people better in relationships? Of course not! If it does then Atheists wouldn't have long-lasting relationships, which would then mean that long-lasting relationships will be the exclusive preserve of the religious adherents, this in itself is absolutely ludicrous!

Well I believe in God for instance but I must confess I am not in a relationship with Him because I am slightly afraid of commitment. My belief in him is not necessarily the same as being in a nurturing relationship with him where I pray etc. . .so after noting such difference I think now you'll understand that I was solely referring to those that honour their relationship with God and how it correlates with their own physical relationship?

I agree that Atheists and others that do not befall this category can sustain a long-lasting relationship. . . but then there are degrees to love.

In summary, there is no documented scientific correlation between a belief in a God, and ability to maintain a long-lasting relationship. It may be just another myth perpetuated by religious goons to promote the perceived benefits of being in a religion. cool

Lol it's not a myth, it's a thought that I've often pondered about. . . "religious goons" are not responsible for this theory. . only my vivid imaginationtongue

despite the fact we don't see eye to eye on certain topics I appreciate your input, I gather it can't be fun nor easy digesting doses of biblical  extracts or subtle reverence of God - so thank you sir for taking your time cool
Re: Love And Faith by claremont(m): 12:30am On Aug 25, 2011
emofine:

I respectfully disagree. I would never use science to define love nor measure it. Following the nature of the purpose of this thread, and if I was to heed onto a particular faith for counselling such as the Bible. The Bible states that God is love so thus "God" and "Love" are interchangeable. So I asked such a question as God (well at least according to Christianity) is marked as the source, so I wondered if loving Him and being a partaker of his love would affect an individuals personal relationship. . . I guess you are directed by science I was inspired by faith
Permit me to take you up on the above-highlighted. If God=Love according to the religious adherents; it then follows logically that if "love" exists, therefore, persons who are God-less e.g. Atheists, are incapable of such physical love. The mere fact that God-less persons have nurtured long-lasting relationships which rival that of the religious goons has put to jeopardy your hypothesis. Moreover, I don't believe there is any statistical report which has proven beyond doubt that religious adherents are better relationship-wise as compared to non-religious people. I will argue that the reverse may be the case due to the narrow-minded way in which religion defines how a "true" relationship should be conducted.

BTW, science can measure everything; if "love" can't be measured by science, that in itself lends credence to the "love does not exist" theory.
Re: Love And Faith by Nobody: 12:47am On Aug 25, 2011
Meaningless rants as USUAL!
@Claremont does a PERFECT CIRCLE EXIST?
Re: Love And Faith by claremont(m): 12:50am On Aug 25, 2011
^^^
Get thee behind me SATAN!!!
Re: Love And Faith by Nobody: 12:55am On Aug 25, 2011
^^^ SATAN? You believe in him now? Interesting! grin grin grin Answer my question! undecided undecided
Re: Love And Faith by claremont(m): 12:58am On Aug 25, 2011
^^^
Go to your romance chat room, we are having an intellectually stimulating conversation here!
Re: Love And Faith by Pweety4me(f): 1:02am On Aug 25, 2011
sexbkillz r u an enemy or frenemy?
Re: Love And Faith by Nobody: 1:09am On Aug 25, 2011
^^Depends on the Situation! I dont believe in CLIQUES! Anyone gives me trouble, i dole out DOUBLE! I'M ALLERGIC TO BULLSHI[b]T[/b]!!!
Re: Love And Faith by Pweety4me(f): 1:13am On Aug 25, 2011
^^You exagerrate ur own personality, i actually KNOW you from eye.
Re: Love And Faith by emofine(f): 1:14am On Aug 25, 2011
Powerful words. . I wouldn't have imagined I would arouse such a response - anyway stimulating dialogue all the same.

claremont:

Permit me to take you up on the above-highlighted. If God=Love according to the religious adherents; it then follows logically that if "love" exists, therefore, persons who are God-less e.g. Atheists, are incapable of such physical love. The mere fact that God-less persons have nurtured long-lasting relationships which rival that of the religious goons has put to jeopardy your hypothesis.

That is a solid point you make and I believe that everybody has loved and experienced love in spite of the presence or absence of God in their lives. I just think it's harder to emit than to acquire. I think compassion would have been a more appropriate term to equate the Christian God with however.

Moreover, I don't believe there is any statistical report which has proven beyond doubt that religious adherents are better relationship-wise as compared to non-religious people. I will argue that the reverse may be the case due to the narrow-minded way in which religion defines how a "true" relationship should be conducted.

You are right there is no statistical report to prove this. I was just teasing out a connection between faith and love so I tried to evaluate the connection believers have with God and concluded if the same raw ingredients present in such a spiritual union could also exist in a physical relationship then surely these shared components will be beneficial in the introduction of a physical union and thus could help sustain a physical accord.

I deliberately made a distinction between spiritual relationships (presence of God) and a physical one to see if one affects the other or could create a perfect compund but I guess it's the way I behold love. I see it as spiritual element. so I've obviously assumed (rightly or wrongly) whether the presence of a spiritual bond via ones faith could amplify such a person's physical manifestation of love.

claremont:
BTW, science can measure everything; if "love" can't be measured by science, that in itself lends credence to the "love does not exist" theory.

Can love be dissected by science? I am not talking about "hormones" and "chemistry". . love is translated via actions not physics smiley
Re: Love And Faith by Nobody: 1:30am On Aug 25, 2011
Pweety4me:

^^You exagerrate your own personality, [size128pt]i actually KNOW you from eye.[/size]
Sorry, YOU DONT! NO ONE DOES!!!
Re: Love And Faith by Pweety4me(f): 1:31am On Aug 25, 2011
^^^Did you post fake pics on the site?
Re: Love And Faith by claremont(m): 1:32am On Aug 25, 2011
emofine:

I deliberately made a distinction between spiritual relationships (presence of God) and a physical one to see if one affects the other or could create a perfect compund but I guess it's the way I behold love. I see it as spiritual element. so I've obviously assumed (rightly or wrongly) whether the presence of a spiritual bond via ones faith amplify such a person's physical manifestation of love.

Can love be dissected by science? I am not talking about "hormones" and "chemistry". . love is translated via actions not physics smiley

[b]Firstly, I strongly doubt if there is any connection between faith and "love". In fact, any assumption that there is such a connection tends to raise more questions than answers e.g. How do we explain relationship break-ups that occur between two religious people? Surely, their mutual belief in the existence of a "loving" deity should have sustained their physical relationship with each other, How do we explain the long-lasting mutually compatible relationships enjoyed by two people who don't believe in the existence of a "loving" deity? Surely, their non-belief in God should have spelt doom from the onset for them since like you say God=Love.

Secondly, all human emotions have been objectively explored by science. Emotions such as anger, happiness, joy, sadness e.t.c have all passed the objective test of science. Love on the other hand has never been conclusively proven to exist; the few scientists who tried to prove the existence of love used the word interchangeably with obsessive lust/unbridled passion/irrational desire e.t.c. Therefore, except love is defined in some way to mean an obsessive lust for someone/something, it's existence as an independent concept is yet to be proven.[/b]
Re: Love And Faith by Nobody: 1:35am On Aug 25, 2011
Pweety4me:

^^^Did you post fake pics on the site?
Why should I? You miss 'em? grin grin
Re: Love And Faith by Pweety4me(f): 1:36am On Aug 25, 2011
^^I don't stalk them, just seen em once or twice. . .i know you ok!
Re: Love And Faith by Nobody: 1:40am On Aug 25, 2011
^^ wink
Re: Love And Faith by Pweety4me(f): 1:44am On Aug 25, 2011
^^Ur not cute, don't worry when i spot you next smiley
Re: Love And Faith by Nobody: 1:53am On Aug 25, 2011
^Never said Spiderman was cute! smiley
Re: Love And Faith by emofine(f): 2:01am On Aug 25, 2011
claremont:

Firstly, I strongly doubt if there is any connection between faith and "love". In fact, any assumption that there is such a connection tends to raise more questions than answers e.g. How do we explain relationship break-ups that occur between two religious people? Surely, their mutual belief in the existence of a "loving" deity should have sustained their physical relationship with each other, How do we explain the long-lasting mutually compatible relationships enjoyed by two people who don't believe in the existence of a "loving" deity? Surely, their non-belief in God should have spelt doom from the onset for them since like you say God=Love.

I see you embedded quotes for love lol. . .but I will confess I'm glad if such a topic raises more questions - I want to garner other people's thoughts not just a clinical closed one worded answer. Well in my opening post I listed a few components that is generally required in faith and in a serious relationship. Relationships break down for various reasons but I bet if one or more of those ingredients dissolve between a couple it would just become a catalyst to the the inevitable demise of their relationship.

I have already admitted that I am aware of long lasting relationships existing amongst "non-believers" however I did state that the nature of a "believers" relationship is likely to be different to a non-believer's one due to a spiritual context. I believe believers are spiritually bound to one another and thus have another dimension to the love in which they share.

Secondly, all human emotions have been objectively explored by science. Emotions such as anger, happiness, joy, sadness e.t.c have all passed the objective test of science. Love on the other hand has never been conclusively proven to exist; the few scientists who tried to prove the existence of love used the word interchangeably with obsessive lust/unbridled passion/irrational desire e.t.c. Therefore, except love is defined in some way to mean an obsessive lust for someone/something, it's existence as an independent concept is yet to be proven.

Ok. . . Science has spoken now I want to know what your defintion of love is?
How does one use science to prove Love's existence? So science could establish emotions such as anger and joy but could not conclude for love. I tell you why, it's because love just so happens to operate on a higher frequency Lol.

Individuals interpret love differently and so they project love in different kinds of ways, Science cannot measure the depth of someones heart let alone millions.

Greek is a beautiful reference to the richness and property of love. The language has so many words to encapsulate the degrees of love. The love I have for my friend is not the same love I have for my sister or a partner etc or the fact that I love talking to you . . . so how does science determine Love's validity/existence or better yet which type of love was being evaluated? I know I love my mum and it certainly isn't the "obsessive/lust" kind of love lol

Love surely must exist when it's the epitome of all human emotion cheesy
Re: Love And Faith by claremont(m): 8:31am On Aug 25, 2011
[b]The major problem with the love concept lies in an absence of an objective definition for it, therein lies the problem. The lack of a holistic definition of what love is, basically means that we end up with 1001 subjective definitions. Like you rightly asked "what kind of love did science try to evaluate?"; it was actually romantic love, a love between 2 people in a relationship; a scientific evaluation of romantic love concluded that a belief in love is NOT necessary to sustain a relationship, but rather, what was necessary for sustaining long-term relationships is mutual compatibility between both parties. When this conclusion is viewed logically, we would realize that there is an element of truth in it; our ancestors in Africa never knew what love was, they married on the basis of both parties recognizing what their mutual roles are in a relationship, yet their marriages lasted the test of time. In this modern age which has been awash with the love dogma, there has equally been an upsurge in divorce rates and short-term relationships, is it not logical for us to conclude that there is a strong positive correlation between the "practise" of love in a society, and the high rate of divorce present therein? We would be in denial of the facts staring at us in the face to suggest otherwise.

Let me attempt to view this issue from your point of view, and work on the assumption that love does exists. Does a belief in a deity grant religious adherents the exclusive privilege to experience and practise such love as compared to non-religious adherents? In attempting to answer such a question, we need to look at it from 2 subjective definitions of love. Firstly, the love that occurs between a religious adherent and his/her deity cannot be experienced by unbelievers because such love stems from a faith in the unseen. It is impracticable for an unbeliever to exercise love for a God(s) when he/she has in fact not exercised faith in the first instance. Therefore, there is no basis for a logical comparison of that in the first place since we cannot compare something-ness with nothing-ness. Secondly, the love that exists between 2 religious adherents in a relationship is totally different from that between a creator and his supposed creation. 2 religious adherents in a relationship are guided by the way they believe love should be practised, it doesn't involve faith, but rather, they are guided by the very same earthly principles non-religious people use to sustain their own relationships. How is a "believers" relationship with his/her partner different from that of a non-believer? Surely, there cannot be any difference, since if they both believe in love, it follows that they would practise the same societal tenets of the concept they believe in.

When you say "love surely must exist since it's the epitome of all human emotion", this random phrase may be your personal opinion about "love", but we all know that it is not backed by any scientific evidence whatsoever. If you have a study that explicitly states that a misnomer such as love is the "epitome" of all human emotion, kindly paste the link here so we can read the conclusions ourselves. I strongly believe such a study does not exist![/b]
Re: Love And Faith by Nayah(f): 8:40am On Aug 25, 2011
Hello Emofine and Claremont
Well, such an interesting topic I would just say that science and studies have nothing to do with human beings' feelings, sometimes science can give us some clues to understand some acts but I don't really think it's the key to understand people in general since people are different according to their personality

Life is not science else everything would be black or white but we know that things happen even you don't plan it, so Claremont for me you should be careful with science and do not be confused between technical progress and what I call "school of life"
Re: Love And Faith by Nobody: 8:55am On Aug 25, 2011
Emofine & Nayah!

Pls STOP wasting your time on this ATHEIST! HE DOESNT EVEN KNOW WHERE THE LIFE HE IS LIVING CAME FROM! Not to talk of EMOTIONS or LOVE!

You'll find this thread interesting! ATHEISTS ARE REALLY DUMB! cheesy

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-743212.0.html
Re: Love And Faith by emofine(f): 10:34am On Aug 25, 2011
Claremont, I'm going to have to respond to you in installations lol, your response is pretty loaded - bear with me.

claremont:

[b]The major problem with the love concept lies in an absence of an objective definition for it, therein lies the problem. The lack of a holistic definition of what love is, basically means that we end up with 1001 subjective definitions. Like you rightly asked "what kind of love did science try to evaluate?"; it was actually romantic love, a love between 2 people in a relationship; a scientific evaluation of romantic love concluded that a belief in love is NOT necessary to sustain a relationship, but rather, what was necessary for sustaining long-term relationships is mutual compatibility between both parties. When this conclusion is viewed logically, we would realize that there is an element of truth in it; our ancestors in Africa never knew what love was, they married on the basis of both parties recognizing what their mutual roles are in a relationship, yet their marriages lasted the test of time. In this modern age which has been awash with the love dogma, there has equally been an upsurge in divorce rates and short-term relationships, is it not logical for us to conclude that there is a strong positive correlation between the "practise" of love in a society, and the high rate of divorce present therein? We would be in denial of the facts staring at us in the face to suggest otherwise.[/b]

Yes there is. There is a correlation between the [b]mal[/b]practice of love and divorce rates in society.
Some people do not comprehend love (because it is everlasting and endures). Some due to the influence of the media and societal trends are not emulating true love and in their immaturity misinterpret theirs or another person's feelings for love. Then there are those who have given up and just allow their emotions to guide them whether the ruler be lust, addiction or a mere fantastical fairy tale and hence get hitched on a whim which inevitably hints at a foreboding.

Not everybody in a union love each other (yes mutual compatibility is important but love must be present in order to make our connection sweeter)

I'm pretty sure that an individual can be mutually compatible with more than one person but when choosing a life partner love will obviously influence such a persons final decision and furthermore enhances harmony.

Some people are just accustomed to each other and so they remain as a couple however such a relationship is already dead, it's akin to someone like me going to church regularly but not digesting anything, feeling numb, not enjoying the company and being there only for eye service - it's a routine.

. . .just like arranged marriages some people's relationship with their "God" was already dictated to them via birth or by force. That involuntary "relationship" they have with "their" God is as stale and false as two unhappily or possibly content married people who just habitually stick together.

As for our ancestors own form of love - I doubt they were unfamiliar with expressing that particular emotion with a chosen partner.
Re: Love And Faith by Mynd44: 10:59am On Aug 25, 2011
Hmmm
Re: Love And Faith by emofine(f): 11:00am On Aug 25, 2011
Let me attempt to view this issue from your point of view, and work on the assumption that love does exists. Does a belief in a deity grant religious adherents the exclusive privilege to experience and practise such love as compared to non-religious adherents? In attempting to answer such a question, we need to look at it from 2 subjective definitions of love. Firstly, the love that occurs between a religious adherent and his/her deity cannot be experienced by unbelievers because such love stems from a faith in the unseen. It is impracticable for an unbeliever to exercise love for a God(s) when he/she has in fact not exercised faith in the first instance. Therefore, there is no basis for a logical comparison of that in the first place since we cannot compare something-ness with nothing-ness.

@ the portion in red No it does not but the projection of love will be different. . .

"Charity suffereth long, and is kind; charity envieth not; charity vaunteth not itself, is not puffed up"
1 Corinthians 13: 4

. . .due to the principles upheld in their faith I do expect that they (believers) should be able to reflect a certain type of love that is pure and perfect.

Secondly, the love that exists between 2 religious adherents in a relationship is totally different from that between a creator and his supposed creation. 2 religious adherents in a relationship are guided by the way they believe love should be practised, it doesn't involve faith, but rather, they are guided by the very same earthly principles non-religious people use to sustain their own relationships. How is a "believers" relationship with his/her partner different from that of a non-believer? Surely, there cannot be any difference, since if they both believe in love, it follows that they would practise the same societal tenets of the concept they believe in.

I do disagree with that, well maybe I should say the Bible disagrees with that.

"Husbands, love your wives, even as Christ also loved the church"
Ephesians 5:25

I don't imagine a believers love is guided by earthly principles or motivated by such however if this were to be so I imagine that the trajectory they may choose to embark on will be discouraged . . ."be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers", clearly there are conditions for a believer that have to be met - such stipulations may not govern the decision of non-believers.

"adultery" "jealousy" "lust" are some of the vices" highlighted in the scripture that should be obsolete in a [I]believers[/I] interpretation and manifestation of love.

"Perfect love casteth out all fear"
1 John 4: 18

Thus the property of love differs for a non-believer and a believer. A non believer will most likely say the opposite of love is hate. A true believer who knows the word will confidently tell you the opposite of "perfect" love is fear

@ portion in blue

Yes I do believe that. . .however believers (Christians) are not supposed to reflect a worldly disposition.

Spiritual Arithmetic:-

Non-believers believes in [b]l[/b]ove
Believers (christians) believe in [b]L[/b]ove
Non-believers believe in [b]g[/b]od (a god pertaining to any instrument that rules a persons life i.e. money, celebrities etc)
Believers believe in [b]G[/b]od

God > god

In christianty the equations has it that God = Love, "God is Love", and God in his omnipresence encompasses all the spectrum of [I]perfect[/I] Love  just as he eclipses all other gods.

So I'm primarily using christian principle and doctrines to calculate a spiritual sum of Love. . .not science which frankly hasn't rendered a unanimous fixed conclusion on the term.
Re: Love And Faith by emofine(f): 11:12am On Aug 25, 2011
claremont:
When you say "love surely must exist since it's the epitome of all human emotion", this random phrase may be your personal opinion about "love", but we all know that it is not backed by any scientific evidence whatsoever. If you have a study that explicitly states that a misnomer such as love is the "epitome" of all human emotion, kindly paste the link here so we can read the conclusions ourselves. I strongly believe such a study does not exist!

Yes it is my "opinion" and I don't believe I should rely on science to back this up when it's quite evident.
If I give into hate (for example). .I could most likely inflict pain on others or in a worse scenario eliminate a perceived enemy. .but if I give into Love I would learn to "love my neighbours as myself". If God "loves the whole world" and if I claim to be a follower of God I would surely emulate his demonstration and love the whole population also (which is not the easiest of tasks I imagine). However the greatest manifestaion of love is narrated in John 15:13 "Greater love than this no man hath, that a man lay down his life for his friends", that separates and elevates love from every other emotion because Love is selfless and sacrificial, that single emotion should enable me to put others before myself.

. .and that is how that "random phrase" was bornsmiley

Finally Sir, can I ask you. . . if science were to prove the existence of love would you buy into it? would you reflect love? Would that begin to thaw your stance on the non-existence of God?

Nayah:

Hello Emofine and Claremont
Well, such an interesting topic I would just say that science and studies have nothing to do with human beings' feelings, sometimes science can give us some clues to understand some acts but I don't really think it's the key to understand people in general since people are different according to their personality

Life is not science else everything would be black or white but we know that things happen even you don't plan it, so Claremont for me you should be careful with science and do not be confused between technical progress and what I call "school of life"

hello Nayah , yes science has limits smiley

sexkillz:

Emofine & Nayah!

Pls STOP wasting your time on this ATHEIST! HE DOESNT EVEN KNOW WHERE THE LIFE HE IS LIVING CAME FROM! Not to talk of EMOTIONS or LOVE!

You'll find this thread interesting! ATHEISTS ARE REALLY DUMB! cheesy

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-743212.0.html

lol leave my buddy alone I'm learning from him though cool
Re: Love And Faith by Mynd44: 11:18am On Aug 25, 2011
Re: Love And Faith by claremont(m): 11:38am On Aug 25, 2011
[b]Firstly, let's stick to some form of romantic connotation in this dialogue; and leave out the biblical verses and religious dogma, otherwise the MODs will not hesitate to fling this thread from the romance section to the religion section. The concept of God=Love is a myth anyway which any avid reader of the bible will diagnose, except you are not talking about the God of the bible. The biblical God is certainly NOT love, there are enormous amounts of biblical passages which unequivocally show that the biblical God is quite the opposite of love. I shudder to think how "loving" a God is when words such as jealous, vile, murderous, are being used to describe him in the same bible.

Anyway, coming back to the subject matter of this thread, let me attempt to modify your spiritual Arithmetic from my own perspective;

Spiritual Arithmetic:-

1. Non-believers believes in love: Really?

2. Believers (christians) believe in Love: Agape Love-Yes, but Romantic Love- Not all believers do because if they did, then why do we have a large number of singleton believers?

3. Non-believers believe in god (a god pertaining to any instrument that rules a persons life i.e. money, celebrities etc): False, Atheists don't believe in a god. A belief in a god is not necessary to function as a normal rational thinking human being.

4. Believers believe in God: Fair point.

5. God > god: Where is the evidence that God and god exists? Our belief in a God or gods may be borne out of our upbringing and societal influence, but that in itself doesn't absolve such beliefs from the test of proof.

6. In christianty the equations has it that God = Love, "God is Love", and God in his omnipresence encompasses all the spectrum of perfect Love  just as he eclipses all other gods: Maybe you are talking about another God here, but the God of the bible is clearly not love.

Finally, you say this>>>"Some people do not comprehend love (because it is everlasting and endures). Some due to the influence of the media and societal trends are not emulating true love and in their immaturity misinterpret theirs or another person's feelings for love";

Actually, I will argue that it is the media that has actively propagated the "love myth". The images on our TVs, Newspapers e.t.c. all point to the illusion that romantic love is a concept which people should imbibe in order to sustain their relationship. This is as far apart from the truth that it can be, it totally goes against the scientific evidence. I do agree that people have a right to believe in such things like "love" and "faith", but attempting to say that there is some form of objective rationale for such a belief system is not only mischievous, but it is also an unforgivable sin to humanity for anyone to knowingly/unknowingly give people irrational hope.

[/b]
Re: Love And Faith by claremont(m): 11:56am On Aug 25, 2011
emofine:

. . . if science were to prove the existence of love would you buy into it? would you reflect love? Would that begin to thaw your stance on the non-existence of God?
Yes, if science irrevocably proves in the existence of anything e.g. God, love e.t.c, I am bound to believing in it. I strongly doubt if science can prove those concepts.
Re: Love And Faith by emofine(f): 2:23pm On Aug 25, 2011
claremont:
Firstly, let's stick to some form of romantic connotation in this dialogue; and leave out the biblical verses and religious dogma, otherwise the MODs will not hesitate to fling this thread from the romance section to the religion section.

Good idea. . .I was running out of bible verses to quote anyway plus I didn't want the faith aspect to be centered around Christianity alone.

The concept of God=Love is a myth anyway which any avid reader of the bible will diagnose, except you are not talking about the God of the bible. The biblical God is certainly NOT love, there are enormous amounts of biblical passages which unequivocally show that the biblical God is quite the opposite of love. I shudder to think how "loving" a God is when words such as jealous, vile, murderous, are being used to describe him in the same bible.

hmm yet he is the same One that abased Himself to die for His creations and assume their sins on that cross.

Anyway if I lift the sheild of the scripture for a second I am also very questionable about the Biblical God as well as the Quaran-ic God and and all other Beings/Creators/God and so forth.

But then again I rationalise this "Creator" and I doubt I could use human rational to figure out a supernatural Being.

Okay back on the topic at hand.  Faith? "belief in the unseen" . .right?

The things I do not see are more real to me than those that I do see. I see people kiss but I don't know what's embedded in their hearts, I see people cry but is that a facade?

The heart of the matter is the matter of the heart.

1.Really?

Well they are not excluded from love - like you said there are some involved in long lasting relationships, they must be familiar with an aspect of love. However I must express when I say they believe in love. . .I pretty much mean they believe in the reality and it's existence not necessarily the essence.

2. Agape Love-Yes, but Romantic Love- Not all believers do because if they did, then why do we have a large number of singleton believers?

Maybe for some they choose to solely commit to God, for others they probably haven't found a partner as of yet.

3. False, Atheists don't believe in a god. A belief in a god is not necessary to function as a normal rational thinking human being.

Well for many science fills that void, Claremont.

5.Where is the evidence that God and god exists? Our belief in a God or gods may be borne out of our upbringing and societal influence, but that in itself doesn't absolve such beliefs from the test of proof.

I agree.

6.Maybe you are talking about another God here, but the God of the bible is clearly not love.

Hmmm I'm trying my best to refrain from employing Bible verses but I'm going to have to to counter your assertion with one , "He that loveth not knoweth not God; for God is love."
1 John 4:8

^^ that single quote in facts highlight a fundamental element to this topic at hand.

However I will confess that my numerical points are gross generalizations.

Actually, I will argue that it is the media that has actively propagated the "love myth". The images on our TVs, Newspapers e.t.c. all point to the illusion that romantic love is a concept which people should imbibe in order to sustain their relationship.

The media is guilty in prostituting love as a cinematic fairy-tale thus stripping it from it's substance which I believe is just detrimental.
In their promotion of of a false brand of love they have actively succeeded in underrating it and hence you will see today impressionable people, who perhaps are quite immature declare to anyone they first meet their disillusion notion of love. . . "love at first sight" etc

This is as far apart from the truth that it can be, it totally goes against the scientific evidence. I do agree that people have a right to believe in such things like "love" and "faith", but attempting to say that there is some form of objective rationale for such a belief system is not only mischievous, but it is also an unforgivable sin to humanity for anyone to knowingly/unknowingly give people irrational hope.

Do you believe in lust? If so then you should know that lust is the counterfeit version of Love which ironically proves the existence of Love. In order for a counterfeit to exist there must first be an original for the duplicate to copy and pervert it.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Do Girls Have Loose Period Too? / Why Do People Referenced Hema Malini As A Standard Of Beuty? / What Is The Perfect Gift To Buy For A Girl On Her Birthday ?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 135
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.