Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,240 members, 7,849,883 topics. Date: Tuesday, 04 June 2024 at 11:00 AM

Does Crowd At Rallies Really Matter? - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Does Crowd At Rallies Really Matter? (14952 Views)

"Empty Stadium" Reno Omokri Mocks Peter Obi On Attendance At Rallies / I Prefer To Speak at Rallies & Gatherings -Tinubu Reject Arise TV invite / Osigwe Omo-Ikirodah: What Obideints Should Know About Tinubu's Crowd At Rallies (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Does Crowd At Rallies Really Matter? by casualobserver: 10:25pm On Nov 24, 2022
Emir01:

It doesn't matter wether is 3 or five horse races, your ability to mobilize will reflect on election day. People will vote across regions, ethnic nd religion, all candidates have something working for them already, you just have to work more, form alliances nd tap votes from everywhere that is available using their strategy. Strong parties field people of the same religion from their localities and some are loyal to them nd will work to deliver their candidates. Is Ibo the largest ethnic group? Forget about Ibo everywhere, the election is not only about ethnicity this is politics.

It seems you just want to argue. Most candidates can pull crowds, most states will be close so crowds means nothing except when you can’t pull a crowd!

I can bet you have never looked at the results of past elections by states. If you do you will realize pulling a crowd means nothing. It is only when you can’t pull a crowd that there is meaning.

Rallies are one of those things you have to do but ultimately it is usually meaningless unless you can’t pull a crowd.

If your crowd is overwhelmingly massive (like the Buhari crowds in certain northern states), then usually you have no competition and it will reflect in the crowd of your opponent or whether he even bothers to stage a rally. If you and your opponents are pulling crowds then it is meaningless but a necessary fulfillment of all righteousness….that says nothing!!!

In a 2 horse race, Even the guy who gets 40% and loses will pull a big crowd…. Crowds are even more meaningless and the absence of crowds more meaningful in a 3 horse race.

1 Like

Re: Does Crowd At Rallies Really Matter? by barinedan(m): 10:26pm On Nov 24, 2022
Crowd at rallies don't matter, thousands of people you see in political only came there because of the money, it is during elections you know the strength of a particular party

1 Like

Re: Does Crowd At Rallies Really Matter? by AyakaDunukofia: 10:32pm On Nov 24, 2022
ganisucks:

No. It's just for show. What matters is if the cabal is picking your call. If they are call blocking you, if you like go and fill the maracana with a flood of people, you will still LOSE.

But crowd helps the psychology of the electorate.

Where did the so called Cabal hide when Buhari got nearly 12 million votes several times and still LOST until BAT came to rescue?

1 Like

Re: Does Crowd At Rallies Really Matter? by Emir01: 10:41pm On Nov 24, 2022
casualobserver:

It seems you just want to argue. Most candidates can pull crowds, most states will be close so crowds means nothing except when you can’t pull a crowd!

I can bet you have never looked at the results of past elections by states. If you do you will realize pulling a crowd means nothing. It is only when you can’t pull a crowd that there is meaning.

Rallies are one of those things you have to do but ultimately it is usually meaningless unless you can’t pull a crowd.

If your crowd is overwhelmingly massive (like the Buhari crowds in certain northern states), then usually you have no competition and it will reflect in the crowd of your opponent or whether he even bothers to stage a rally. If you and your opponents are pulling crowds then it is meaningless but a necessary fulfillment of all righteousness….that says nothing!!!

In a 2 horse race, Even the guy who gets 40% and loses will pull a big crowd…. Crowds are even more meaningless and the absence of crowds more meaningful in a 3 horse race.

Lol. It's a terrible lie that all candidates pull a crowd. All candidates pull a crowd in their strong holds. Pulling a crowd portends your force. Buhari crowd reflects in all his elections results. Buhari crowd in Anambra differs from Imo crowd. Don't swear, I can analyse voting patterns by states for you with little changes.
Re: Does Crowd At Rallies Really Matter? by dallyemmy: 10:58pm On Nov 24, 2022
Parties do hire crowd from neighbouring states... sad shocked shocked

1 Like

Re: Does Crowd At Rallies Really Matter? by casualobserver: 11:12pm On Nov 24, 2022
Emir01:

Lol. It's a terrible lie that all candidates pull a crowd. All candidates pull a crowd in their strong holds. Pulling a crowd portends your force. Buhari crowd reflects in all his elections results. Buhari crowd in Anambra differs from Imo crowd. Don't swear, I can analyse voting patterns by states for you with little changes.

Like I said you just want to argue. When I say all candidates pull crowds, I mean the front runners and I have also stated that a candidate that cannot pull a meaningful crowd is clearly not strong in that state because usually even in a state where you are not strong you will harvest crowds from the entire state and usually neighboring states. If you can’t do that then you are clearly going nowhere in that state. It doesn’t take much for any serious candidate to harvest supporters from all the wards in a state and mobilize them for a rally. If you can’t do that, you are not in the race!!!!

Nobody can pull a rally of more than 20,000 and such a rally if at all will be in states like Kano, Lagos, Rivers and some northern states with huge populations . Most of these rallies you are seeing are 2, 3, 5,10k max. If you cannot pull 2000 (which will look bigger than it really is) in a small state of circa 500k voters like Kwara or Ekiti, or less than 1% of the voting population that turn up on d day, you are not in the race. That should tell you how meaningless rallies are except your crowds are overwhelming!!!! It doesn’t take much to pull a crowd!!

Like I said the participants at these rallies are less than 1% of the respective populations…usually much less, so ultimately most voters are at home. Most rallies are therefore meaningless except for the purpose of identifying the guy who can’t even produce a crowd. Where there no crowds at PDP rallies in Kwara in 2019, did they not lose? Where there no crowds at APC rallies in Benue and Adamawa, did they not lose? We’re there no crowds at PDP rallies in Ekiti and , did they not lose? Did APC not produce crowds at the recent Osun guber election rallies ……did they not lose?

Having crowds at rallies means nothing, not having crowds does….because it doesn’t take much to pull a crowd if you truly have some degree of support and the numbers you see at these rallies are not that much, especially when they are street rallies. Having support does not mean you are going to win. Look at it this way, an average Joe having a wedding can pull a crowd of 200-1000, so it is not a big deal for a political party to gather a crowd of 5,10,15k and if you can’t get 5k you don’t exist. So the only time a rally is significant is if your crowd is overwhelming and your opponent’s is not.

If you want to see what 100k people look like, google pictures of the bernabeau stadium, don’t forget these are cramped people, unlike street rallies where there are less bodies per square meter ie people are more spaced out so the crowd looks bigger than it really is and then you will know alll these rallies are less than 10k. You will hold rallies in Abeokuta and Ibadan the stadium will be full but what is the seating capacity of these stadiums? 10,000 each, even at full capacity you add another 2-5k for those in the field. 12-15k. How many people voted in the last elections in these states that even the person that will lose cannot find 10k supporters to fill a stadium? I have shown 2 pictures of the 100k bernabeau stadium and I have highlighted a section that looks like the biggest Nigerian rallies but if you look at the second picture you will see it is less than 10% I.e less than 10,000 people. So you see what 10k people looks like cramped in a stadium… double or triple that space for street rallies/ walks!! The biggest of all these “million Man” rallies no reach 10,000! Now that you see what 10,000 really looks like, you can see that most rallies have no more than 5,000. You can now see it doesn’t take much to have a rally and if you can’t amass enough people to hold a rally you are not in the race.

Have you noticed rallies are usually held at Onikan stadium? Why? Ask yourself what is the capacity? Then ask yourself what is the capacity of national stadium? Let me help you. Onikan is 10k, national stadium is 55k. Now you know why they dont hold rallies at national stadium!! It will make anyone holding a rally there look bad!!!!

2 Likes

Re: Does Crowd At Rallies Really Matter? by ganisucks(f): 11:49pm On Nov 24, 2022
AyakaDunukofia:

Where did the so called Cabal hide when Buhari got nearly 12 million votes several times and still LOST until BAT came to rescue?
The cabal didn't pick his call until 2015, when they needed a Katsina man to fill the vaccum that Yaradua, another Katsina man had left. Whatever Tinubu said was tales by moonlight.
Re: Does Crowd At Rallies Really Matter? by dochenaj: 12:08am On Nov 25, 2022
Campaign crowds are majorly props for the subsequent election rigging.

So is also the governors promises to the presidential candidates on how many voters they can guarantee them. Though we know that the governor cannot influence how people will truly vote. It is the illusion of this that makes people think that TInubu is favorite to win the elections. Because all the APC governors has assured him of millions of votes.
Re: Does Crowd At Rallies Really Matter? by Appleway: 12:13am On Nov 25, 2022
mrvitalis:

Honestly this makes absolute no sense that can't stand in any court of law at all

It doesn't make sense, just like how some judgments don't make sense but they stand nevertheless.
Re: Does Crowd At Rallies Really Matter? by Superwave16320: 12:14am On Nov 25, 2022
Have you seen Tinubu rally in Imo & Ebonyi ?

Polchiz:

Tinubu urchins and insults, yet they say Obidients are online mobs.

God bless you.
Re: Does Crowd At Rallies Really Matter? by AFONJAPIG(m): 1:12am On Nov 25, 2022
It does not matter... Nigerians are looking for where to go.. I remember 2019 when Buhari came to aba to campaign, the state governor shut down all the state for the president... u know as aba people, it's heartbeat of biafra and couples with the pogrom that follows same year because that same year they invaded kanu's house and people were equally killed in aba by combined team of army and police so the wound, the grudges were still fresh that u will think they will boycott the campaign, but believe me enyimba stadium were filled up with people, even people that were still outside that couldn't come in were twice of people that were inside, me as much as I hate buhari I also went there to see that jubrin kanu were talking about and what he has to say.. people came out because no market that day , so most of them were idle doing nothing in their various homes, so instead of them to be in their various home doing nothing will be have no other option than to come out and pass their time there,I went with my girlfriend along with our drink , suya and my weed.. we were sitting in Colombia stand because it was funfill stand in Enyimba stadium that's where u wil see all manner of people cheering themselves up, all these people that came to see jubrin did they finally vote for buhari NO at the election day. Buhari couldn't get up to 2000 votes in aba despite over 500,000 registered and accredited votes .. believe me all these crowd are there to either catch grimps of old men who are vying to finish them up, while some are there for the 5k their ward leaders promised them... if they want to check their popularity they should leave everywhere open , don't shut down markets and see if people will fill the stadium, u see obi's rally and campaign that one are pure out of love and I'm 100% they will come out to vote for the good man
Re: Does Crowd At Rallies Really Matter? by Aladeintl: 1:34am On Nov 25, 2022
Crowd at political rallies are useless.

Number one, most of caravan and canvassers not necessarily supporters and eventual voters.

Two, 90% of those that attended Obidients rallies will go to PDP and APC rallies for the pay.

Only political mumu believes his/her party don't have paid attendees.

Meanwhile watch this video https://youtu.be/Adp8uMA5Fc8
Re: Does Crowd At Rallies Really Matter? by Spandau: 2:03am On Nov 25, 2022
babaolofin:

It is of no effect. It is just an entertainment and drama events that contribute nothing to victory at the poll. It is similar to TV debate and interview.

Kadoso Mutairu!
Re: Does Crowd At Rallies Really Matter? by zomby(m): 3:31am On Nov 25, 2022
Polchiz:
Personally, I have never attended political rally but I have always voted my preferred candidate.

The front runners for the presidency come 2023 are engaging in political rallies across the country and their supporters and opponents are always quick to brag about crowds in their rally.

No rally can pull upto 400, 000 people, considering the capacity of the venues. Contrastly, candidates have won states with over a million votes. Some people are also paid to be at the rally.

Consequently, I ask " does crowd at rally translate to votes? ".

Additionally, don't we think that grassroots sensitization and mobilisation is more productive than rallies?

Many rural dwellers don't have the time and resources to make it to venues of campaign rallies .

98% of the folks that show up at the political rally will vote, 90% of their family members will vote, 88% of their friends will vote, 80% of their neighbors and co workers will vote…..Now 90% of the folks that stay home will not vote, 95% of the FFK milt members and friends will not vote… 85% of their neighbors and coworkers will also not votes…
For this reason, the numbers of folks that show up at political rally matter..
Re: Does Crowd At Rallies Really Matter? by Nobody: 3:51am On Nov 25, 2022
Emir01:

Campaign is a different ball game. We will see what Obi will pull in Borno, Kano, Kwara, Bauchi, Ibadan, Katsina vs Atiku nd Tinubu in terms of campaign vs what Obi will pull in Abia, Lagos, Imo, Anambra vs other candidates. Where any candidate is popular, it will be greatly reflect during campaigns.

OBI is an entertainer and nollywood actor in politics. On Wednesday I was at New Garage beside Berger at the boundary between Ogun and Lagos and saw how they were parking people to Ibadan for campaign with financial inducement. The crowd that attended OBI's campaign at Osun during the governorship election only generated about 2% of the total votes which is equivalent to the IBOS that voted during the election.

The IBOS are ready to mobilize crowd for OBI because of psychological warfare they are fighting. Votes and crowds are different things. TV debates or interviews don't have any effect on votes.

Politics is like religion. It has leadership and followership. Nothing can make the supporters or the followers of religious or political leaders change their mind. Campaign or TV debate is just a jamboree to add glamour to the political activities. Peoples choice at poll have been made already.
Re: Does Crowd At Rallies Really Matter? by nedu666: 4:03am On Nov 25, 2022
If u hve a job or would you take permission to attend political rally. I doubt it

If u hve a business even if its selling ugwu would you leave your business to attend political rally. I doubt it. Unless you were recruited and will be paid.

Majority of the persons attending these rallies are jobless people seeking for means of income.

How can u attend rally from mid morning to evening without expecting to get paid. Na so u love politicians
Re: Does Crowd At Rallies Really Matter? by tsdarkside(m): 4:05am On Nov 25, 2022
you find out after elections....
Re: Does Crowd At Rallies Really Matter? by tsdarkside(m): 4:08am On Nov 25, 2022
obi only splitted atikus votes....
decampin to labour was a stvpid move....

obi didnt want to step back for somebody else....
egoistic....
Re: Does Crowd At Rallies Really Matter? by byteem: 5:54am On Nov 25, 2022
Emir01:
It matters, it's also part of the game both psychological and capacity to mobilize.

Story .. most of these Rallies are just cruise to the bored residents who come there to collect don't worry election we shall see
Re: Does Crowd At Rallies Really Matter? by byteem: 5:55am On Nov 25, 2022
tsdarkside:
obi only splitted atikus votes....
decampin to labour was a stvpid move....

obi didnt want to step back for somebody else....
egoistic....

As im dey pain dem na so im dey sweet us .. go and hug transformer
Re: Does Crowd At Rallies Really Matter? by ogascomax: 6:27am On Nov 25, 2022
Rally in Nigeria is connected to how much you are ready to spend to mobilized people. It's directly proportional to your spending. APC spend more to bring people to their rally just to prove that they have the will of the people but some of us know that it's just a show.
Re: Does Crowd At Rallies Really Matter? by nurusystem(m): 6:36am On Nov 25, 2022
Yes sir,it signal winning team
Re: Does Crowd At Rallies Really Matter? by ridwanullah2: 8:15am On Nov 25, 2022
It matters if they have PVC and they are ready to vote on election day
Re: Does Crowd At Rallies Really Matter? by Anndrew(m): 8:36am On Nov 25, 2022
immortalcrown:
Yes, it really matters. Rigging can't happen without it. If 1000 people rally for a candidate and only 10 later vote for the candidate, the candidate can claim he got 500 votes. But if only 10 rally for the candidate and he or she later claims to get 500 votes, you will ask who and who later voted for the candidate. This is why they pay so much money to get a large number of people at rallies.
yeah,1000%..that a fact..that the old system of electoral system in Nigeria democracy.....With the new system of bvas in the electoral system,let see how it gonna goes....Gradually,we might get to crowd doesn't not win elections as time goes..till then,we see how 2023 election gonna play...
Re: Does Crowd At Rallies Really Matter? by HRMK: 12:22pm On Nov 25, 2022
ALL NA SCAM!MOST GO THERE TO COLLECT WHATEVER THEY COULD GET AS HANDOUTS OR GIFTS!!
Re: Does Crowd At Rallies Really Matter? by Image123(m): 12:50pm On Nov 26, 2022
Polchiz:
Personally, I have never attended political rally but I have always voted my preferred candidate.

The front runners for the presidency come 2023 are engaging in political rallies across the country and their supporters and opponents are always quick to brag about crowds in their rally.

No rally can pull upto 400, 000 people, considering the capacity of the venues. Contrastly, candidates have won states with over a million votes. Some people are also paid to be at the rally.

Consequently, I ask " does crowd at rally translate to votes? ".

Additionally, don't we think that grassroots sensitization and mobilisation is more productive than rallies?

Many rural dwellers don't have the time and resources to make it to venues of campaign rallies .

In real perspective, rallies are an indicator. Most states have hundreds of thousands of voters so they can't all be in rallies. There are also millions of people who don't carry politics on the head but go out once or twice every 4years to exercise their voting rights.
Most people found in rallies are the "structure" of the party as it were. The majority of people have other things to do with their lives. Then of course, we have people who come to rallies to see if they can get something like souvenirs or money, or to sell or to see the politicians and entertainment. So, filling up venues MIGHT be deceiving.

Look at the rally in stadiums for example which are the biggest. Our stadiums are average 20,000 capacity. Any major political parties should fill that up. Even churches have 50,000 and 100,000 capacity buildings. So if you can't really fill up a rally venue, it might be an indication that you don't have many supporters that will actually vote for you.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Electricity Workers Demand Withdrawal Of New Tariff / "I Never Said I Am Free To Have Romantic Affair With Any Policewoman" - IGP / Ondo: Buhari, Jegede, PDP Congratulate Akeredolu

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.