Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,151 members, 7,818,473 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 04:40 PM

Ocean Surge Sacks 1000: Lagos Begs FG For Financial Aid - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ocean Surge Sacks 1000: Lagos Begs FG For Financial Aid (9091 Views)

Please Release My Husband- Dasuki's Wife Begs FG / Lagos Government Warns On Ocean Surge / Atlantic Ocean Surge Kills 16 In Lagos (Pictures) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ocean Surge Sacks 1000: Lagos Begs FG For Financial Aid by aloyemeka2: 7:08pm On Aug 31, 2011
alj_harem:

SMH shakes my damn head

1. when did the FG spend money on bar beach etc ?

Obasanjo drafted over N30Bn to Tinubu over the same Bar Beach problem but Asiwaju-Ole ate the money and deposited sands and silts on the bank in order to wedge the water. Now, the side effects of his thievery is haunting Fashola. Tinubu used the money to buy more planes.
Re: Ocean Surge Sacks 1000: Lagos Begs FG For Financial Aid by aloyemeka2: 7:09pm On Aug 31, 2011
abelian:

But Jonathan swore to defend the Nigerian territory from any form of aggression and as at the last time i Checked, Lagos is still in Nigeria. undecided

If the FG doesn't want to help, let them leave apapa port revenues and Taxes paid by the companies for Lagos and let Lagos spend all the income it generates

Gbam!!!!
Re: Ocean Surge Sacks 1000: Lagos Begs FG For Financial Aid by Beaf: 7:16pm On Aug 31, 2011
abelian:

But Jonathan swore to defend the Nigerian territory from any form of aggression and as at the last time i Checked, Lagos is still in Nigeria. undecided

If the FG doesn't want to help, let them leave apapa port revenues and Taxes paid by the companies for Lagos and let Lagos spend all the income it generates

Should they leave with all the buildings and equipment? Think carefully about what you are asking for.
Lets keep the issue to whether the FG's actions to help are humanitarian or not, its a pretty straightforward argument to have.
Re: Ocean Surge Sacks 1000: Lagos Begs FG For Financial Aid by KA24DETT(m): 7:17pm On Aug 31, 2011
Lagos state generates more money into the FG coffers apart from the oil producing state as a result of the Sea port and airport. Its the federal government job to protect the coastline in every country , Can u remenber during hurricane katrina how the blame was on George w bush for FEMA unresponsiveness? Even Kanye west went on tv and said bush dosent like black people. It was a big PR disaster for the bush governemnet. No body blamed louisaina state governemnet, noone was saying it is not the FG obliagation to repair and fix the leeves.
@BEAF, DO u know that if the president said that it is not the FG job to fix the leeves or to respond during huricane katrina, he would get impeached, do u know that if he said the federal government helping LOUISIANA is for Humanitarioan reasons and not a security reasons, he would be under a lot of pressure to resign.
US ARMY corps of engineers that does bridge maintenance and DAm building is a federal body and its not funded in part by any state. If Newyork is sinking, mayor bloomberg would expect the FG to step in cus the FG has a stake in NY.

Why is it that when things get to nigeria, it is turned upside down, Be honest withurself BEAF,,  The FG should step up and protect lagos coast line and that goes as well to the gully erosion in the east and the desert encrooachment in the North,

NIGERIANS DESERVE THE LEADERS THEY GET AND THEY WOULD CONTINUE TO SUFFER TILL THEY TAKE MATTERS INTO THEIR OWN HANDS AND FIGHT FOR IT INSTEAD OF PRAYING AND WAITING ON GOD. Nigerians would suffer and suffer till they start seeing themselves as one and not ibos, hausa, yorubas and all these things the leaders put u in to divide and conquer u guys. At the end of the day, they all gang up in abuja and split the looth among themselves. so yeah, u all havent suffered enough, Nothing really good comes without labour and hardship for so the gods have ordained,
Re: Ocean Surge Sacks 1000: Lagos Begs FG For Financial Aid by Beaf: 7:22pm On Aug 31, 2011
^
Of course, if the FG refuses to help Lagos, the people would feel abandoned and the FG will be unpopular in lag. However, that still does not make it an obligation for the FG to intervene.
All I am saying is that the FG's help is not compulsory and thats a fact.

This is one of those topics that make the reasonable ones among us think about the deeper aspects of true federalism and what citizen, FG, state and LG obligations should be.
Re: Ocean Surge Sacks 1000: Lagos Begs FG For Financial Aid by homerac7: 7:24pm On Aug 31, 2011
Arguments from points of prejudice kill objectivity.

Coastline belongs to d FG.

Accessing d ecological fund is through standard protocols. Once d protocol is initiated, d FG is obliged to respond appropriately.

Now, there r emergency and disaster situations.

Emergency is when certain accident is beyond a state capacity to handle. It sends an emergency call to d FG and FG is obliged by same protocol to respond immediately to assess d situation and take over remedial action.

If during assessment, FG feels dt d damages is of great proportion, it declares disaster. When disaster is declared, certain other mechanisms r by dt activated.

Between states of emergency and disaster is d process and mechanism for accessing ecological fund. It's purely systematic and "NORMALLY" has nothing to do wt political nuances or geopolitical location.

It's purely irresponsible for anyone to assume and argue dt d FG is not obliged to respond to emergency calls from state.

Ocean body level rising might be a global phenomenon. Lagos beach line challenge is accentuated by man made activities wc d FG is inexcusable from.

Bar beach erosion was caused by d construction of a barricade at d apapa port inlet to prevent silting/sand deposition by cycling waves sweeping across d face of west Africa coast into Gulf of Guinea.

The interruption of d natural flow led to erosion problems downstream, wc is bar beach. FG actually solved d problem by sand filling d beach head, but dt in itself only pushed d problem further downstram to ibeju lekki area, wc is where u have alpha beach. Mind u, bar beach was sand filled to save VI. The environment effect of Eko Atlantic City will b very minuscule and if any at all, b further downstream. Someone is yet tshow me d environmental effect of VI creation. Of course it a mostly sandfilled place too.

So going by ds short explanation, d problem at hand is fully n FG obligation.
Re: Ocean Surge Sacks 1000: Lagos Begs FG For Financial Aid by aloyemeka2: 7:24pm On Aug 31, 2011
Beaf:

^
Of course, if the FG refuses to help Lagos, the people would feel abandoned and the FG will be unpopular in lag. However, that still does not make it an obligation for the FG to intervene.
All I am saying is that the FG's help is not compulsory and thats a fact.

Says who?. Why is the FG dredging River Niger?
Re: Ocean Surge Sacks 1000: Lagos Begs FG For Financial Aid by DaLover(m): 7:25pm On Aug 31, 2011
abelian:

let me even take this kind of talk further in regards to the ND issues
If the FG does want to clear up the environmental degradation in the ND, let them leave the oil for the Ndeltan's to manage themselves, all oil companies operationing in the Ndelta but based outside should relocate there or quit operating in the Ndelta, all banks managing majority funds concerned with the oil industry must have their Hqters in ND, all oil industry imports and exports, flights etc should take place in land and sea ports in the ndelta, all oil industry projects should be managed exclusively in the Ndelta,
Re: Ocean Surge Sacks 1000: Lagos Begs FG For Financial Aid by DaLover(m): 7:31pm On Aug 31, 2011
homerac7:

Accessing d ecological fund is through standard protocols. Once d protocol is initiated, d FG is obliged to respond appropriately.

Emergency is when certain accident is beyond a state capacity to handle. It sends an emergency call to d FG and FG is obliged by same protocol to respond immediately to assess d situation and take over remedial action.

If during assessment, FG feels dt d damages is of great proportion, it declares disaster. When disaster is declared, certain other mechanisms r by dt activated.

Between states of emergency and disaster is d process and mechanism for accessing ecological fund. It's purely systematic and "NORMALLY" has nothing to do wt political nuances or geopolitical location.

It's purely irresponsible for anyone to assume and argue dt d FG is not obliged to respond to emergency calls from state.

Ocean body level rising might be a global phenomenon. Lagos beach line challenge is accentuated by man made activities wc d FG is inexcusable from.

Bar beach erosion was caused by d construction of a barricade at d apapa port inlet to prevent silting/sand deposition by cycling waves sweeping across d face of west Africa coast into Gulf of Guinea.

The interruption of d natural flow led to erosion problems downstream, wc is bar beach. FG actually solved d problem by sand filling d beach head, but dt in itself only pushed d problem further downstram to ibeju lekki area, wc is where u have alpha beach. Mind u, bar beach was sand filled to save VI. The environment effect of Eko Atlantic City will b very minuscule and if any at all, b further downstream. Someone is yet tshow me d environmental effect of VI creation. Of course it a mostly sandfilled place too.

Now that you have established that its an obligation, limited resources means that not all obligations can be meet, hence the need to prioritize, we talk as if there is a bottomless pot of money somewhere,
Re: Ocean Surge Sacks 1000: Lagos Begs FG For Financial Aid by abelian: 7:33pm On Aug 31, 2011
DaLover:

let me even take this kind of talk further in regards to the ND issues
If the FG does want to clear up the environmental degradation in the ND, let them leave the oil for the Ndeltan's to manage themselves, all oil companies operationing in the Ndelta but based outside should relocate there or quit operating in the Ndelta, all banks managing majority funds concerned with the oil industry must have their Hqters in ND, all oil industry imports and exports, flights etc should take place in land and sea ports in the ndelta, all oil industry projects should be managed exclusively in the Ndelta,

and there is no oil reserve in lagos? undecided
Re: Ocean Surge Sacks 1000: Lagos Begs FG For Financial Aid by Beaf: 7:35pm On Aug 31, 2011
abelian:

Lol!

homerac7:

Stop inventing laws.
Re: Ocean Surge Sacks 1000: Lagos Begs FG For Financial Aid by Bliss4Lyfe(f): 7:40pm On Aug 31, 2011
The Federal Government does not exist only for Lagos State. The annual Lagos State budget subsidies by Federal funds is more dan enough to have been used to properly safe guard the Lagos State coastal shores.

Rather, Corrupt ACN official have looted much of those funds. Today, past Lagos state governors are billionaires. Fashola and his ill-adviced Eko Atlantic project have seen Billions of Nigerian owned Dollars literally poured into the ocean on land reclamation project awarded to foreign companies.

They must be on crack cocaine to believe Federal Government will keep allocating almost one third of its budget to be looted and poured into the oceans and building grand second international airport on lagos islands facing ocean surge.
Re: Ocean Surge Sacks 1000: Lagos Begs FG For Financial Aid by DaLover(m): 7:41pm On Aug 31, 2011
abelian:

Like which ones?
Re: Ocean Surge Sacks 1000: Lagos Begs FG For Financial Aid by homerac7: 7:43pm On Aug 31, 2011
@ Dalover,

Ecological Fund is a statutory allocation purse dt has nothing to do wt ur national budget. It's just like ur PTDF, ETF, et al. I honestly don't know how much it is worth currently, but its should be in tens of billions of dollars because its directly funded from oil and gas, mining and other ecology related economic activities proceeds.

Govt intervention doesn't always mean instant shelling out of money. Critical emergency r attends to first and a program is developed to solve d problem, wc could b multi-year. Then, funding Is arranged appropriately and committed to the fund. Thus it becomes a project for d fund.
Re: Ocean Surge Sacks 1000: Lagos Begs FG For Financial Aid by homerac7: 7:50pm On Aug 31, 2011
@ Beaf,

I didn't invent any law. I simply explained how d mill runs. I don't hav to get prejudiced and argue from point of ignorance, do I ?

I only expect u to come out wt a clear and concise explanation to counter mine if u know so much.

It's always honourable to own up dt u don't know certain things and keep quiet than go rambling all over d place.
Re: Ocean Surge Sacks 1000: Lagos Begs FG For Financial Aid by DaLover(m): 7:58pm On Aug 31, 2011
homerac7:

@ Dalover,

Ecological Fund is a statutory allocation purse dt has nothing to do wt your national budget. It's just like your PTDF, ETF, et al. I honestly don't know how much it is worth currently, but its should be in tens of billions of dollars because its directly funded from oil and gas, mining and other ecology related economic activities proceeds.

Govt intervention doesn't always mean instant shelling out of money. Critical emergency r attends to first and a program is developed to solve d problem, wc could b multi-year. Then, funding Is arranged appropriately and committed to the fund. Thus it becomes a project for d fund.

I quite agree with you but there still needs to be some prioritization, abi?
Re: Ocean Surge Sacks 1000: Lagos Begs FG For Financial Aid by abelian: 8:00pm On Aug 31, 2011
Re: Ocean Surge Sacks 1000: Lagos Begs FG For Financial Aid by Beaf: 8:12pm On Aug 31, 2011
homerac7:

@ Beaf,

I didn't invent any law. I simply explained how d mill runs. I don't hav to get prejudiced and argue from point of ignorance, do I ?

I only expect u to come out wt a clear and concise explanation to counter mine if u know so much.

It's always honourable to own up dt u don't know certain things and keep quiet than go rambling all over d place.

So how come you made two claims that are patently false?
1. That the FG owns the coastline
2. The FG is under obligation to help states experiencing disaster

You made these claims without any backup whatsoever. Sorry dude, the onus is on you to prove those spurious claims (mind you coastal waters are quite different in meaning from territorial waters).

--Edited--
Re: Ocean Surge Sacks 1000: Lagos Begs FG For Financial Aid by seanet02: 8:20pm On Aug 31, 2011
Bliss4Lyfe:

The Federal Government does not exist only for Lagos State. The annual Lagos State budget subsidies by Federal funds is more dan enough to have been used to properly safe guard the Lagos State coastal shores.

Rather, Corrupt ACN official have looted much of those funds. Today, past Lagos state governors are billionaires. Fashola and his ill-adviced Eko Atlantic project have seen Billions of Nigerian owned Dollars literally poured into the ocean on land reclamation project awarded to foreign companies.

They must be on crack cocaine to believe Federal Government will keep allocating almost one third of its budget to be looted and poured into the oceans and building grand second international airport on lagos islands facing ocean surge.

[size=49pt]Olodo, Hatred will not allow you to tell the truth
Where and When did FG allocated ONE THIRD OF ITS BUDGET TO LAGOS OR ANY DISASTER MANAGEMENT ISSUE?[/size]
What Nonsense
Re: Ocean Surge Sacks 1000: Lagos Begs FG For Financial Aid by DaLover(m): 8:23pm On Aug 31, 2011
Re: Ocean Surge Sacks 1000: Lagos Begs FG For Financial Aid by Bliss4Lyfe(f): 8:40pm On Aug 31, 2011
Posted by: seanet02
Olodo, Hatred will not allow you to tell the truth
Where and When did FG allocated ONE THIRD OF ITS BUDGET TO LAGOS OR ANY DISASTER MANAGEMENT ISSUE?

[size=18pt]See daft! Who is talking about the 2011 budget just passed? I really cannot be bothered to spoon feed nuisance on this site. U should know wat budget i am referring to, since Awolowo became finance minster to Gowon right through to Yaardua and compare that to some other States in the federation(including oil producing states)[/size].  grin
Re: Ocean Surge Sacks 1000: Lagos Begs FG For Financial Aid by homerac7: 8:44pm On Aug 31, 2011
@ Beaf,

U make me laugh wt ur childish tactic. U want me to validate my point when u havnt raised any to invalidate it. No no no, I don't have to. U think u will hav me running around because " u said so"? Is dat how u hav come to see urself? U r irredeemably pathetic.

Well, I hav given d info, u r not obliged to accept it, r u? Surely not! It's only a fool dt engages ur type in fruitless internet jabs.

Hav better things to do dn engaging u. So abeg park for one side, grin grin grin
Re: Ocean Surge Sacks 1000: Lagos Begs FG For Financial Aid by Beaf: 8:53pm On Aug 31, 2011
homerac7:

@ Beaf,

U make me laugh wt your childish tactic. U want me to validate my point when u havnt raised any to invalidate it. No no no, I don't have to. U think u will hav me running around because " u said so"? Is dat how u hav come to see urself? U r irredeemably pathetic.

Well, I hav given d info, u r not obliged to accept it, r u? Surely not! It's only a fool dt engages your type in fruitless internet jabs.

Hav better things to do dn engaging u. So abeg park for one side, grin grin grin

Dude, I [b]challenged [/b]you because I KNOW that you invented every last word of your argument. I'm just waiting patiently for you to invent your source. . . . Then Gboa!! You know people like me never argue unless we are 100% sure. cool grin

Come on. I'm waiting for your "proof"; don't be shy now (even though we both know it doesn't exist). LOLZZZ!
Re: Ocean Surge Sacks 1000: Lagos Begs FG For Financial Aid by EkoIle1: 9:21pm On Aug 31, 2011
It's really sad that who is responsible for our coastlines and federal obligations is subject to any kind of discussion. Is this not even basic elementary understanding of civic knowledge.

Why are we even going back and forth with this juvenile and his zero sense of right and wrong?
Re: Ocean Surge Sacks 1000: Lagos Begs FG For Financial Aid by homerac7: 9:31pm On Aug 31, 2011
@ Beaf,

Muhehehehehe, ! The joke is on u sir!

Refute my assertions wt proofs and I will hit u wt what u never knew. Until u do, I will just sit by and watch u run around in ignorance like a headless chicken.

Oba awon olodo, grin cheesy grin
Re: Ocean Surge Sacks 1000: Lagos Begs FG For Financial Aid by Beaf: 11:20pm On Aug 31, 2011
^
Abeg, go and sit down jare! Mr inventor.
You've been caught blagging, trying to ram shyte down our throats. . . Just that you were caught. Lol!
Re: Ocean Surge Sacks 1000: Lagos Begs FG For Financial Aid by aljharem3: 11:26pm On Aug 31, 2011
Bliss4Lyfe:

[size=18pt]See daft! Who is talking about the 2011 budget just passed? I really cannot be bothered to spoon feed nuisance on this site. U should know wat budget i am referring to, since Awolowo became finance minster to Gowon right through to Yaardua and compare that to some other States in the federation(including oil producing states)[/size].  grin

i can see that u are not only a tribalist but also envious and hating

i would advice u that if u want to be tribalistic as u people are (without thinking) got to ur childish section and i would come and meet u there

really u are one silly little girl grin grin
Re: Ocean Surge Sacks 1000: Lagos Begs FG For Financial Aid by aljharem3: 12:44am On Sep 01, 2011
aloy-emeka:

Obasanjo drafted over N30Bn to Tinubu over the same Bar Beach problem but Asiwaju-Ole ate the money and deposited sands and silts on the bank in order to wedge the water. Now, the side effects of his thievery is haunting Fashola. Tinubu used the money to buy more planes.

i can't recall of such transaction. of obj and tinubu

although i know that Tinubu is a bas.tard, there is nothing he can't do to embezzele money
Re: Ocean Surge Sacks 1000: Lagos Begs FG For Financial Aid by EkoIle1: 1:00am On Sep 01, 2011
alj_harem:

i can't recall of such transaction. of obj and tinubu

although i know that Tinubu is a bas.tard, there is nothing he can't do to embezzele money

Why is the man a bastard and what did he embezzled, how much and while you are at it, please show us where he got the money from. stop spewing accusations that you can not prove. Bearing false withness is a sin and by spewing so much venom and basless accusations against the man makes you sound even worse than the man you are attacking.
Re: Ocean Surge Sacks 1000: Lagos Begs FG For Financial Aid by aloyemeka2: 1:50am On Sep 01, 2011
OIL POLITICS: Fighting nature at Eko Atlantic
Nnimmo Bassey
May 19, 2011 05:47AM

Many people frown when it comes to calls for the holistic respect of the rights of nature. By respecting the rights of nature and understanding that we can do well to work with it and not against it, we will be on the road to achieving the systemic changes needed to halt humanity’s march to the cliff-edge.

We shall be paying some attention in this piece to the challenges and opportunities for action presented by climate change. The rising tide of impacts demand that attention be paid to public participation and local knowledge in decision-making processes. The situation in which policy makers move from idea to implementation in a rather top-down manner often fails to effect real and wise contributions to the public good.

With crazy weather patterns and disruptive events, the risk of non-action to tackle global warming becomes more perilous by the day. Unusual floods and freak weather conditions are more or less turning to be the norm. Nigeria is peculiarly challenged by climate change in ways we may think are distant. The threat of desertification attracts attention and we witness annual tree planting exercises in the eleven “frontline” states. Whether the trees are natured to survive is an ongoing challenge to local peoples as well as to both government and non-governmental agencies.

On the southern belt of Nigeria coastal erosion is a major problem. A lack of shoreline protection leaves gapping areas where land loss to the lapping sea is huge. The Bar Beach in Lagos has attracted much attention because it is in the public view. It has swallowed huge sums in disappearing sandbags and in other efforts to halt the surge of the ocean that has proved rather difficult to handle over the years.

The Lagos State government has pressed on with the idea of building an extension of Lagos into the Atlantic Ocean in a bid that is promoted as the ultimate solution to the encroachment of the ocean on parts of the shorelines of the state.

Environmental and social impact studies have obviously been made and examples have been shown on how the so-called Eko Atlantic will not have negative impacts and will withstand the results of sea level rise and other related risks.

Particularly attractive may be the fact that the new city, if eventually completed, will be the new playground for the big boys and girls with deep pockets and perhaps helicopters with which they can hop away if the ocean decides to go into rage mode. This is going on at a time when degraded settlements in this mega city are crying for upgrading.

Recent weather events in countries like the United States and Australia with extensive shoreline defences should inform our leaders that the Eko Atlantic adventure is a clear example of working against nature in a manner that would not likely have the same ending as the story of David and Goliath.

We have not forgotten the impacts of the Katrina floods. If anyone forgets that, we do well to pay attention to the current Mississippi floods.

It reminds me of a conversation I had with Derrick Evan in Taylor Creek, Alabama, in August 2010, in the wake of the Gulf of Mexico oil spill. Derrick explained the situation of living in the Mississippi delta in these words:

“The region is vulnerable because of ecology, climatology, poverty and the chosen and preferred industries that are set up here in the form of economic activity. This is the most engineered part of America. It is constantly vulnerable to disasters and over engineering. This is a very low-lying wet area. It is the delta, the bottom of the basin that drains 38 of the 50 states of the USA. It is the kidney of North America.

“Everything drains through tributaries of the great rivers that then drain through the Mississippi River and everything drains through here. The highest percentage of the lands here, naturally are wetlands and are low lying and prone to flooding. To accommodate economic growth and development, it has been over engineered.”

As the case of Mississippi, so is the case of the Niger Delta, the kidney of Nigeria. Indeed, the entire southern belt of Nigeria is low lying and it is estimated that a 1-metre aggregate sea level rise may see up to 90 kilometres from the coastline going under water. Lagos is not exempted.

Eko Atlantic is a huge investment in suspicious engineering of an already severely degraded ecosystem that will benefit from rethinking. This is the time to build resilience into existing structures and not build sand castles in the path of raging waves.

Certainly, common wisdom enjoins us to work with nature and not to fight her

http://234next.com/csp/cms/sites/Next/Money/5702196-147/oil_politics_fighting_nature_at_eko.csp
Re: Ocean Surge Sacks 1000: Lagos Begs FG For Financial Aid by aloyemeka2: 1:51am On Sep 01, 2011
Re: Ocean Surge Sacks 1000: Lagos Begs FG For Financial Aid by Demdem(m): 7:59am On Sep 01, 2011
Beaf:

^
Abeg, go and sit down jare! Mr inventor.
You've been caught blagging, trying to ram shyte down our throats. . . Just that you were caught. Lol!

Accursed, its u that needs its head examined. You that never knew that an ecological fund do exist and u are here talking Jargons.
ODE.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Confession: Haliru Says Ibb, Buhari, Atiku Etc Are The Sponsors Of Boko Haram / Osinbajo: Govt Alone Can’t Provide People’s Economic Needs / Ganduje: I Will Be Active In Politics Beyond 2023

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 98
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.