Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,665 members, 7,823,883 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 05:19 PM

Whose Duty Is It? The Landlord Or The Tenants? - Properties (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Whose Duty Is It? The Landlord Or The Tenants? (31056 Views)

Should I Confront Directly Or Report To The Landlord? / What Is Your Worst Experience With A Landlord Or Landlady? / My House Sold Without A Quit Notice To The Tenants (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Whose Duty Is It? The Landlord Or The Tenants? by somehow: 4:21pm On Jan 20, 2023
To avoid issues like this, landlords should charge service fees.
Re: Whose Duty Is It? The Landlord Or The Tenants? by bakusha(m): 4:21pm On Jan 20, 2023
the tenant cos d landlord is not staying with u, normally its d duty of d landlord but a situation of d landlord not living with u guys. who go suffer for water at d end of d day?
Re: Whose Duty Is It? The Landlord Or The Tenants? by Samuel1402(m): 4:21pm On Jan 20, 2023
lsoul:
As a landlord, talking from experience, tenants are wicked, just a few are nice,
Tenants will put on the pumping machine running all nights and it's burns and you expect the landlord to fix it? Nepa takes the light no tenant will switch off the pumping machine, but if it's their 50 inch smart TV, they will switch it off, lights comes could be high voltage or low voltage. These are the things that damage pumping machine
Good
Re: Whose Duty Is It? The Landlord Or The Tenants? by Idoko619(m): 4:23pm On Jan 20, 2023
No matter how you put it, its the landlords responsibility to fix things such as pumping machine. This items are not what the tenant's handles themselves, its spoilage could be linked to faulty electricity or expiration.
Except stated in the agreement, if not the landlords want to be getting new tenant yearly.
Re: Whose Duty Is It? The Landlord Or The Tenants? by lsoul: 4:23pm On Jan 20, 2023
Levels1:

Why are you displaying your ignorant to the general public?

No one is an island of knowledge but your own problem is that you are not ready to learn.

It is the duty of the landlord to provide water for the tenants since is within the agreement.

If along the lines the pumping machine got spoiled, it is the sole duty of the landlord to repair it.

You are judging base on the fact that the landlord doesn't stay with them I guess?

For the fact that the tenants are the ones using it doesn't mean they are to repair it.

The fact that they on the machine on behalf of the landlord as such it was the duty of the landlord they're doing simply because it affects them directly.

For better illustrations all this hostel builts do have pumping machines and the owners offen times employ securities to guide the house and also to on the water when there's light.

So if along the lines it got spoiled, who's to repair it? Certainly the landlord.

What I'm saying is that the landlord naturally supposed to get someone whom to be operating the water but for the fact that the tenants decided to on it doesn't make them liable for repairing it.

I talked as a landlord whom have been repairing is own more than 5 solid good years.

Hello, sorry who's to evacuate the soakaway?

Do you mean is the duty of the tenants to do so?

If yes, am sorry to ask you; How old are you please?

you are a bloody tenant buying time with court quit notice.
Re: Whose Duty Is It? The Landlord Or The Tenants? by BewareOf419: 4:25pm On Jan 20, 2023
Some comments here are futile, landlord that's not living with you will help you to fix your fix your faulty pumping machine or buy you a new one right?
When you're ask to contribute money to fix your street transformer that's faulty or the cable stolen, wait for the government to buy the stolen cable back for you then

2 Likes

Re: Whose Duty Is It? The Landlord Or The Tenants? by Juoflife1(f): 4:28pm On Jan 20, 2023
Normally it's the landlords responsibility. But things are not normal in this part of the world. Pumping machine is something that is in the ground and I don't think any tenant can go in the ground and spoil it.
The best tenants can do is help. Tenants can pay 50% of the cost.
Some wicked landlords leave it for tenants who have no choice than to repair it. But it is the landlords responsibility.
Re: Whose Duty Is It? The Landlord Or The Tenants? by Semaj77(m): 4:30pm On Jan 20, 2023
Jones4190:

if the tenant fix it for you then they reserve the right to remove it when they are packing out

Then the tenants should return the one the landlord put in place for them in good and working condition

2 Likes

Re: Whose Duty Is It? The Landlord Or The Tenants? by acorntree(m): 4:30pm On Jan 20, 2023
lsoul:
As a landlord, talking from experience, tenants are wicked, just a few are nice,
Tenants will put on the pumping machine running all nights and it's burns and you expect the landlord to fix it? Nepa takes the light no tenant will switch off the pumping machine, but if it's their 50 inch smart TV, they will switch it off, lights comes could be high voltage or low voltage. These are the things that damage pumping machine

Good point there!! It depends on the situation. If it due to carelessness on the tenants landlord shouldnt be called on. If it spoiled due age , land Lord should be involved

1 Like

Re: Whose Duty Is It? The Landlord Or The Tenants? by acorntree(m): 4:32pm On Jan 20, 2023
Juoflife1:
Normally it's the landlords responsibility. But things are not normal in this part of the world. Pumping machine is something that is in the ground and I don't think any tenant can go in the ground and spoil it.
The best tenants can do is help. Tenants can pay 50% of the cost.
Some wicked landlords leave it for tenants who have no choice than to repair it. But it is the landlords responsibility.

What of the landlord installed substandard pump
Re: Whose Duty Is It? The Landlord Or The Tenants? by drlateef: 4:34pm On Jan 20, 2023
Enemyofpeace:
Help us solve this matter. Who should buy the pumping machine?

Ideally it is the tenants after the first one is provided by landlord when tenancy started. This is the breakdown is most likely due to ware and tear after prolonged and excessive use by tenants. It’s like replacing the bulbs in the house etc.
Re: Whose Duty Is It? The Landlord Or The Tenants? by President2001(m): 4:34pm On Jan 20, 2023
Is work of landlord to provide what his/her Tennant needs, in case Tennant has financial capacity they can go ahead but depends on their relationship
Re: Whose Duty Is It? The Landlord Or The Tenants? by MrBroke(m): 4:36pm On Jan 20, 2023
Depends on how the pumping machine got faulty
Re: Whose Duty Is It? The Landlord Or The Tenants? by Flesh10: 4:38pm On Jan 20, 2023
Tenants should just close eyes and buy that machine if they are in Lagos.

If landlord disguise say him wan renovate his building and give una quit notice una go see shege ooo

Houses in Lagos now are not only expensive but very hard and depressing to find. Even if you find one it will be so substandard and cost will be on the high side...

I am talking from experience, don't go and be reading yeye law that you know your right, there is no right in lagos ooo landlord will always win unless you have money and time to be going to court and paying lawyer

I sha Don talk my own. Lagos now so long as where you are is OK, just be overlooking landlord's excesses till you have money to move out else you go hear word by force

3 Likes

Re: Whose Duty Is It? The Landlord Or The Tenants? by Ate247(m): 4:38pm On Jan 20, 2023
fergie001:

The landlord left it for them in good condition and doesn't even live in the house.

They are the ones using it. They either buy/repair it or stay without water.
So the tenant now went in there and spoilt it. If the landlord wants no hold the tenant responsible he should provide a stabilizer especially if its a multi apartment. Why because water was considered in the rent.
Re: Whose Duty Is It? The Landlord Or The Tenants? by massingale(m): 4:40pm On Jan 20, 2023
To replace a pumping machine, it means the machine is old and weak OR severely bad due to constant damages. Hence, it is the duty of the Landlord to replace. But it is the duty of the tenants to fix a damaged pumping machine, if the landlord isn't staying with them. (This is what we do in my compound)
Re: Whose Duty Is It? The Landlord Or The Tenants? by jojothaiv(m): 4:43pm On Jan 20, 2023
Jones4190:

I work with an estate management
This man Sabi..
Re: Whose Duty Is It? The Landlord Or The Tenants? by skyangel(f): 4:47pm On Jan 20, 2023
07kjb:
Responsible tenants repairs it while the idiotic ones keep hoping for the landlord

Gbam. You just nailed it
Re: Whose Duty Is It? The Landlord Or The Tenants? by Jones4190(m): 4:49pm On Jan 20, 2023
somehow:
To avoid issues like this, landlords should charge service fees.
Beside service feel, there is what is call causion feels that cover things like that
Re: Whose Duty Is It? The Landlord Or The Tenants? by Nobody: 4:50pm On Jan 20, 2023
Enemyofpeace:

To be candid, if my tenants are good people such that, whenever I go for inspection, the house is still well kept, I will fix the pumping machine whenever it spoils.

But if na guragura tenants, I nor dey fix anything. When you nor pay I go dash you three months from my heart (streets) and expect you to pack out after a grace of 90 days..

IF you nor commot, OYO!

1 Like

Re: Whose Duty Is It? The Landlord Or The Tenants? by Jones4190(m): 4:50pm On Jan 20, 2023
bakusha:
the tenant cos d landlord is not staying with u, normally its d duty of d landlord but a situation of d landlord not living with u guys. who go suffer for water at d end of d day?

whose own the machine, the tenant or the landlord?
Re: Whose Duty Is It? The Landlord Or The Tenants? by Jones4190(m): 4:52pm On Jan 20, 2023
BewareOf419:
Some comments here are futile, landlord that's not living with you will help you to fix your fix your faulty pumping machine or buy you a new one right?
When you're ask to contribute money to fix your street transformer that's faulty or the cable stolen, wait for the government to buy the stolen cable back for you then
who is the owner of the machine? landlord or tenant?
Re: Whose Duty Is It? The Landlord Or The Tenants? by lsoul: 4:52pm On Jan 20, 2023
Jones4190:
is the duty of the landlord, water was considered before paying the rent
So as its the duty of the landlord to ensure there is electricity before rent was collected, hence if nepa takes light landlord will come on generator for you. muumuu agbado boy like you angry

1 Like

Re: Whose Duty Is It? The Landlord Or The Tenants? by Jones4190(m): 4:53pm On Jan 20, 2023
Semaj77:

Then the tenants should return the one the landlord put in place for them in good and working condition
that is not how it works, I taking rate, the landlord collect 5% as causion feel, that feel cover all this expenses like pumping machine
Re: Whose Duty Is It? The Landlord Or The Tenants? by bn2murphy(m): 4:54pm On Jan 20, 2023
Everything depends on the agreement on maintenance, but normally the pumping machine can be in place before tennats move inn.

Enemyofpeace:
Re: Whose Duty Is It? The Landlord Or The Tenants? by somehow: 4:54pm On Jan 20, 2023
Jones4190:

Beside service feel, there is what is call causion feels that cover things like that

Caution fee is for when you're moving out.
To cover for anything you must have damaged internally.

1 Like

Re: Whose Duty Is It? The Landlord Or The Tenants? by aklion: 4:54pm On Jan 20, 2023
If everything was working fine.. bfr the tenant enter. And landlord isn't staying there. Na tenant go arrange am. But if landlord is staying there. Both are to contribute in arranging it... Some landlord however take responsibility. But it's good tenant share from it so de won't misuse it... Most things that get spoiled in rented apartments are caused mostly by tenants
Re: Whose Duty Is It? The Landlord Or The Tenants? by phemmyfour: 4:55pm On Jan 20, 2023
Oracleee:

It's quite cheeky. That's why it's always okay to have a future agreement before paying for rent
Any sensible landlord should know that. A tenant can cause a long term damage fixing a pumping machine in the wrong part of the house all in the name of giving freedom to do what he likes
Re: Whose Duty Is It? The Landlord Or The Tenants? by Jones4190(m): 4:56pm On Jan 20, 2023
CaptainFM1:

The landlord only need to buy it once. And once the tenant damage it, it's there duty to buy replacement pump.

who owns the machine? landlord or the tenant?
Re: Whose Duty Is It? The Landlord Or The Tenants? by vickydevoka(m): 4:56pm On Jan 20, 2023
Agbegbaorogboye:
Pumping machines especially the submersible type are buried underground.
If it spoils, it's the responsibility of the landlord to fix it.
If he doesn't, anytime the tenants are going, they reserve the right to remove it and leave his faulty one for him.
Any landlord wey wan show himself, his eyes will clear when the tenant is packing out.

I once had a landlord who showed himself and I cleared his eyes grin grin
Best answer
Re: Whose Duty Is It? The Landlord Or The Tenants? by Agbegbaorogboye: 4:59pm On Jan 20, 2023
Buddha3:

I dey like tenants like you wey dey always feel like Nigerian version of Saddam Hussein.

You use facility for my apartment until e spoil, you come dey carry shoulders on top.

LMAO!
E be like e dey hungry you to sleep for cold dark cell with no window.
What is this one saying?
Cold dark cell on top say I remove my property
You must be highly high
I'm sure folks like you if you own a house will tell the tenants to sleep outside once it's 10:00 p.m.
As I said, your eyes will clear
Re: Whose Duty Is It? The Landlord Or The Tenants? by ZUBY77(m): 5:00pm On Jan 20, 2023
18wheeler:

Boss man. Long time

Yes op. Long time. Hope you are good

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

How To Calculate Quantity&cost Of Asbestors Or PVC Ceiling Needed 4 Your Project / Fence Building Section / Truck Carrying Gas Cylinders Explode In Edo State, Houses Burnt. Photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.