Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,784 members, 7,827,890 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 06:39 PM

Cash Swap: Nigerians React Over CBN Fresh Deadline - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Cash Swap: Nigerians React Over CBN Fresh Deadline (46393 Views)

BREAKING: CBN Raises Loan To Deposit Ratio To 65%, Gives Fresh Deadline / CBN's New Policy On Cash Deposits: Nigerians React / Nigerians React To Sani Dangote Son Engagement To Malaysian Billionaire Daughter (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Cash Swap: Nigerians React Over CBN Fresh Deadline by Nemere2020: 7:11pm On Jan 29, 2023
Mixed reactions have trailed the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) extension of the deadline for collection of old naira notes by 10 days.

Some Nigerians who spoke in separate interviews with the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN)on Sunday in Lagos, commended the CBN for the extension, while others said that it could also lead to a situation where government policies might not be taken seriously in the future.

According to them, the extension is a good decision because it affords some Nigerians, who are yet to deposit their old naira notes, the opportunity to do so.

The CBN Governor, Mr Godwin Emefiele, said that the apex bank sought and obtained the approval of President Muhammadu Buhari, to extend the deadline to February 10.

The governor said aside those holding illicit/stolen funds in their homes for speculative purposes, the aim of the extension was to give Nigerians that have naira legitimately earned and trapped, the opportunity to deposit their legitimately trapped monies at the CBN for exchange.

CBN had earlier given Jan. 31, as deadline for people to deposit the old notes in their possession in banks.

Mr Ukaegbu Ndukwe, a software programmer, said the extension by 10 days would give the masses few days of grace to return old notes in their possession to the bank.

The date is fair, so long it doesn’t get extended to the election date as it might affect the free and fair electoral process in terms of vote buying.

“Most of the people clamouring for this extension may have in their possession hoarded old naira notes and might intentionally want to use this notes for vote buying
” he said.

Mr Michael Akpan, a businessman, said he did not expect the apex bank to give in to pressures by politicians to extend the Jan. 31 deadline.

I will say it’s okay since it’s not after the elections, but government should learn to stand by its words,” he said.

Mrs Obot Ntuen, a secondary school teacher in Okota, told NAN that she was not happy with the extension.

“I’m not happy with the extention, reason being that Nigerians will not take policymakers and government seriously and they will not be law-abiding.

“Except there is a good reason for the extension, policymakers should learn to be firm with their policy making.

“It should not be further extended to avoid lawlessness,
” Ntuen said.

The Centre for the Promotion of the Private Enterprise (CPPE), Dr Muda Yusuf, said, the Centre believed that 10 days is grossly inadequate to make up for the glaring shortcomings of the apex bank in this process.”

Prof. Ndubisi Nwokoma, Director, Centre for Economic Policy Analysis and Research (CEPAR), University of Lagos, urged the apex bank not to further extend the deadline beyond February 10.

Ideally, there wouldn’t have been any need for the extension of the deadline of the old currency beyond January 31, if not for the lackadaisical attitude of the CBN in the implementation of the change, since October 2022.

“It was wrong to still be issuing payments with the old notes through the ATMs even in the few past weeks.

“Why should people pay in their old notes to the banks only to be reissued the same old notes via the ATMs.

“However, the extension will allow the CBN to correct its mistakes and thus instruct the deposit money banks to issue only the new notes, henceforth.

On no occasion should there be any further extensions beyond February 10, to allay the fears of many that any extensions could encourage vote buying during the forthcoming general elections in February and March,” Ndubisi said.

https://tribuneonlineng.com/cash-swap-nigerians-react-over-cbn-fresh-deadline/

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Cash Swap: Nigerians React Over CBN Fresh Deadline by Johnthejohn(m): 7:12pm On Jan 29, 2023
Anything that will make Nigeria a better country is all we want undecided

135 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Cash Swap: Nigerians React Over CBN Fresh Deadline by Tochi3(m): 7:13pm On Jan 29, 2023
grin

Nobody cared about Nigerians for the past 7 & half years.... the yrs of suffering of Nigerians was never news..Election don dey approach...Naira change & swap don become top news & suffering don reappear again.. grin grin

Zombies cum urchinsons must get sense by fire by force..

130 Likes 10 Shares

Re: Cash Swap: Nigerians React Over CBN Fresh Deadline by Iamgrey5(m): 7:18pm On Jan 29, 2023
"You mean Urchins(code word for Yorubas)" in Peter Obi supporters voice. cheesy

Because most Peter Obi supporters are high on something at this moment.

Peter Obi supporters are immune from the current economic situation.

30 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Cash Swap: Nigerians React Over CBN Fresh Deadline by Wiseandtrue(f): 7:34pm On Jan 29, 2023
If you know that the government will extend it from the onset

Gather here grin 🙋🙋‍♀️🙋‍♂️

330 Likes 21 Shares

Re: Cash Swap: Nigerians React Over CBN Fresh Deadline by chiefolododo(m): 7:34pm On Jan 29, 2023
We are okay with 31st of January. But if you must extend, extend it to 5th of February.

14 Likes

Re: Cash Swap: Nigerians React Over CBN Fresh Deadline by technuel: 7:35pm On Jan 29, 2023
CBN Should be proactive
Print Enough money and sanction Banks that are hoarding the money. Nigerians have suffered enough to go through this undue stress and unnecessary anxiety and apprehension.

Meanwhile Enugu is one of the best location where you can invest in the South East Nigeria.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lqd9vmwbaZI&t=13s

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Cash Swap: Nigerians React Over CBN Fresh Deadline by dustmalik: 7:37pm On Jan 29, 2023
The funny thing is, when this policy comes into full effect and people start to see the drawbacks of it, these same people supporting it will be the ones to turn around to blame Tinubu and APC.

The problem we have is lack of foresight. Yesterday alone, two people made transfer to me and I didn't receive their transfer for hours, I didn't get an alert and the value of the transfers also didn't reflect in my bank app. Sometimes it takes unreasonable amount of hours for transfers to reflect.

Imagine you go to a shop to buy something and you make a transfer. The seller says he hasn't receive the transfer. Will you wait for hours?

People are going to experience a lot of drawbacks, including delayed transfers, failed transfers, fake transfer alerts are going to be rampant.

The simple truth is that, the whole system is not ready or prepared for this policy.

90 Likes 13 Shares

Re: Cash Swap: Nigerians React Over CBN Fresh Deadline by AdaojoTheUrchin: 7:52pm On Jan 29, 2023
Wiseandtrue:
If you know that the government will extend it from the onset

Gather here grin 🙋🙋‍♀️🙋‍♂️

Yesterday, I told my car wash guy that he shouldn't bother about the notes, it will be extended by a few days, when he expressed fear about collecting my N1,000 notes.

We all know the aim is not make life difficult for the masses but for those political criminals stocking money for vote buying.
They will cry to high heavens.

46 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Cash Swap: Nigerians React Over CBN Fresh Deadline by jumper524(m): 7:58pm On Jan 29, 2023
All these one sided make way news.

The reality on ground is that here in Abuja when bank choke everywhere. People are relieved by the extension.
I wonder how states like kogi, kwara and all those state when robbers Don pursue bank go take cope.
POS operators and other business that weren't willing to risk it were stale yesterday. They had very few patronage cos even those that have it were not willing to spend it yet.
To those Dull brains who think this policy affects politicians, those mumus should think Again.

Didn't you observe how big men were packing tons of new cash from banks easily while you que at the Atm?
Those big men and politicians are the first holders of this new cash.
Bank managers are cashing out big on them, they'll sell 70% to the elites and leave you the plenty massed to struggle for 30% assume this extension didn't happen and people become more stranded till election period, vote buying would be much cheaper and easier cos scarcity of money brings value.

85 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Cash Swap: Nigerians React Over CBN Fresh Deadline by AllTheWayUp: 7:59pm On Jan 29, 2023
Only criminals and election riggers will still ask for another extension till after the election.

12 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Cash Swap: Nigerians React Over CBN Fresh Deadline by Missgeraldine(f): 8:00pm On Jan 29, 2023
Buhari no try for this one abeg...I was even beginning to like the dullard undecided

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Cash Swap: Nigerians React Over CBN Fresh Deadline by M4A1carbine: 8:07pm On Jan 29, 2023
Urchins...Pigs...zombies... miscreants.. are strictly for Thiefnubuu supporters. Even PDP called APC supporters URCHINs. Are there no Yoruba supporters in PDP? You go cry bluud..e sure die.🤣🤣🤣🤣

Iamgrey5:

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Cash Swap: Nigerians React Over CBN Fresh Deadline by beejaay: 8:12pm On Jan 29, 2023
Iamgrey5:

Dindinrin, urchin is code word for Tinubu bastard... Don't lump your as with urchins, they are two parallel lines that can never meet.. Urchins are purely tinubu bastard and agbado miscreants like you.. No dey do attachee by force

17 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Cash Swap: Nigerians React Over CBN Fresh Deadline by Iamgrey5(m): 8:15pm On Jan 29, 2023
beejaay:

Dindinrin, urchin is code word for Tinubu bastard... Don't lump your as with urchins, they are two parallel lines that can never meet.. Urchins are purely tinubu bastard and agbado miscreants like you.. No dey do attachee by force
Shebi na Nairaland we dey together. cheesy

No prob sir.

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Cash Swap: Nigerians React Over CBN Fresh Deadline by ATEAMS: 8:23pm On Jan 29, 2023
POS cashing out like madd

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Cash Swap: Nigerians React Over CBN Fresh Deadline by Toneypen247(m): 8:23pm On Jan 29, 2023
Hmm
Re: Cash Swap: Nigerians React Over CBN Fresh Deadline by Klington: 8:23pm On Jan 29, 2023
cool
Re: Cash Swap: Nigerians React Over CBN Fresh Deadline by Nobody: 8:24pm On Jan 29, 2023
grin grin

5 Likes

Re: Cash Swap: Nigerians React Over CBN Fresh Deadline by IMASTEX: 8:24pm On Jan 29, 2023
Reading
Re: Cash Swap: Nigerians React Over CBN Fresh Deadline by Opportuneke(m): 8:24pm On Jan 29, 2023
This is becoming unbecoming.

Is this the first time we will rebrand our currency in this country?

Sanusi Lamido did it without problems and also Charles Soludo.

So what happened to Emefiele for God sake?

CBN is really stressing the masses in this country.

31 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Cash Swap: Nigerians React Over CBN Fresh Deadline by BATified2023: 8:24pm On Jan 29, 2023
There are many dumb people in Nigeria, how people believe the policy will affect big men is still a surprise to me

I went to return old notes in bank on Saturday n d queue was killing, some jeeps came n a man ( probably a messenger to a big man) went to d security n gave him d phone

Before we knew what was happening 2 bankers came out n allowed them take him enough bags of money

I just laughed at some fools who believe people like tinubu will b affected

So they are telling us someone like peter obi that has large stakes in fidelity banks will have a problem with new notes

36 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Cash Swap: Nigerians React Over CBN Fresh Deadline by socialmediaman: 8:24pm On Jan 29, 2023
Re: Cash Swap: Nigerians React Over CBN Fresh Deadline by iwaeda: 8:25pm On Jan 29, 2023
Nemere2020:

https://tribuneonlineng.com/cash-swap-nigerians-react-over-cbn-fresh-deadline/

CBN is not really prepared to be honest. ATMs still paying old notes. But this hit BAT like sticks. grin grin grin angry grin

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Cash Swap: Nigerians React Over CBN Fresh Deadline by chiefolododo(m): 8:25pm On Jan 29, 2023
dustmalik:
The funny thing is, when this policy comes into full effect and people start to see the drawbacks of it, these same people supporting it will be the ones to turn around to blame Tinubu and APC.

The problem we have is lack of foresight. Yesterday alone, two people made transfer to me and I didn't receive their transfer for hours, I didn't get an alert and the value of the transfers also didn't reflect in my bank app. Sometimes it takes unreasonable amount of hours for transfers to reflect.

Imagine you go to a shop to buy something and you make a transfer. The seller says he hasn't receive the transfer. Will you wait for hours?

People are going to experience a lot of drawbacks, including delayed transfers, failed transfers, fake transfer alerts are going to be rampant.

The simple truth is that, the whole system is not ready or prepared for this policy.
Hun...
Re: Cash Swap: Nigerians React Over CBN Fresh Deadline by NaijaCover(m): 8:25pm On Jan 29, 2023
No Be Small Thing ooooo
Re: Cash Swap: Nigerians React Over CBN Fresh Deadline by Whois(m): 8:26pm On Jan 29, 2023
Oni ranu angry

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Cash Swap: Nigerians React Over CBN Fresh Deadline by kaludestiny10(m): 8:26pm On Jan 29, 2023
The CBN did well by extending the deadline for the use of the old naira note because serious katakata for dey this country from 31st of this month. If I were the CBN governor, I will order those in charge of printing the new naira note to double their effort. Because there is no way CBN will prevent people from using the old naira note when the new isn't available.

15 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Cash Swap: Nigerians React Over CBN Fresh Deadline by marlow1962(m): 8:26pm On Jan 29, 2023
Old notes still in circulation

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Cash Swap: Nigerians React Over CBN Fresh Deadline by Skillsnigeria: 8:26pm On Jan 29, 2023
grin hmmm
Re: Cash Swap: Nigerians React Over CBN Fresh Deadline by Sonnobax15(m): 8:27pm On Jan 29, 2023
lipsrsealed
Na now I know say Nigerians are naturally gifted with foolishness sad.

8 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

How Much Do I Need To Register A Business Name With CAC? / Why Is Money Hard To Find/get ? / Adegoke Olubusi, Bolatito Ovia, Dimeji Sofowora Who Launched Helium Health

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.