Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,693 members, 7,809,619 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:02 PM

Ekiti Indigenes Abroad Donate 15,000 Sandals Worth N48M To Pupils - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ekiti Indigenes Abroad Donate 15,000 Sandals Worth N48M To Pupils (4595 Views)

Rigging Tape: Ekiti Indigenes Differ On Calls For Probe / I’ve Secured Federal Govt. Jobs For Three Ekiti Indigenes- Fayose / Fayose Secures SSS, Foreign Affairs Jobs For Ekiti Indigenes (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ekiti Indigenes Abroad Donate 15,000 Sandals Worth N48M To Pupils by Babasessy(m): 12:12am On Sep 10, 2011
Ekiti abroad buy N48m sandals for 15,000 pupils

By Favour Nnabugwu
With the end of primary and secondary students’ holiday drawing near, Ekiti in Diaspora has committed N48million to sponsor 15, 000 Ekiti students as they resume schools this September.

Ekiti in Diaspora means all Ekiti indigenes either born in Ekiti or elsewhere with roots in Ekiti but living outside of the country.

The back to school project of the Ekiti in Diaspora will provide a pair of customized sandal for each of the 15,000 students from primary 1 to primary 6 whilst the state indigenes scattered across the world intend to unfold more plans for Ekiti students in secondary and tertiary institutions President of Ekiti in Diaspora, Mr. Julius Akinyemi in a mail to Saturday Vanguard said the group’s goal is to provide customised school sandals to all students in Ekiti-State public school from Primary one through primary six for 15,000 students.

Established in May 2008 with a mission to help empower the Ekiti people to invent new opportunities for themselves and their societies both socially and economically, Akinyemi explained that the objective of Ekiti in Diaspora based in USA with membership spanning across the globe, is to help in the improvement of the socio-economic conditions of all Ekiti citizens.

He said, “We have members across the globe, but our active members reside in UK and US. We also have members in Nigeria and other part of Africa that help with the home front activities. Our members have diverse background and skill sets. We all work together as a team and get things done. I hope we can replicate such spirit here in Nigeria. “Our existence transcends politics.

One of our main goals is to help promote entrepreneurial development to get people off the dependencies on the government.

We need to find ways to create jobs that will help people to be self-sufficient that the government can benefit from and not the vise versa of the current state where everyone depends on government contracts.” He said the aim of the “Ekiti in Diaspora is to leverage our capabilities and collaboratively work with Ekiti people at home as well as current and future administrations to create a better future for Ekiti people.

Akinyemi highlighted the need for Ekiti people to be information techonology ready for the new Nigeria in line with President Goodluck Jonathan’s transformation agenda. “We need to start leveraging technology as tools to drive our social-economic development.

The era of file based government and unstructured service delivery approach should be over; we need to tap into the world of technology.”

He emphasised, “Forward-thinking leaders are figuring out how to make their society, cities and environ a better place to live. Part of that is through the technology they’re adopting. But it’s also through the coalitions they’re building, the internal cultures they’re changing and the operational hurdles they’re overcoming.”

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2011/09/ekiti-abroad-buy-n48m-sandals-for-15000-pupils/
Re: Ekiti Indigenes Abroad Donate 15,000 Sandals Worth N48M To Pupils by OAM4J: 2:26am On Sep 10, 2011
way to go. Good one!

I hope Ileke Idi contributed. cheesy
Re: Ekiti Indigenes Abroad Donate 15,000 Sandals Worth N48M To Pupils by Fhemmmy: 2:35am On Sep 10, 2011
Nice One
Re: Ekiti Indigenes Abroad Donate 15,000 Sandals Worth N48M To Pupils by tEsLim(m): 3:45am On Sep 10, 2011
Not bad that means each sandal cost N3,200 say a little over $20 each. It almost looked bogus till I did the math 48,000,000 / 15,000. Naira no plenty like that jare
Re: Ekiti Indigenes Abroad Donate 15,000 Sandals Worth N48M To Pupils by Oba234: 4:34am On Sep 10, 2011
lol, Ekiti diasporians are really doing it big o. My mother is from Ekiti and I have lately been hearing a lot of Ekiti people coming together to make Ekiti better.
Re: Ekiti Indigenes Abroad Donate 15,000 Sandals Worth N48M To Pupils by ak47mann(m): 4:44am On Sep 10, 2011
this is what ekiti NL that live in abroad should be doing not bashing igbos up and down cheesy cheesy
Re: Ekiti Indigenes Abroad Donate 15,000 Sandals Worth N48M To Pupils by owobokiri(m): 5:39am On Sep 10, 2011
48 mil for 15k sandals Huh? Dont know what that is all about. For LESS than 5 million naira, you will get GOOD quality sandals of that quantity from the Chinese. Not trying to rain on their parade, but that amount is gross.
Re: Ekiti Indigenes Abroad Donate 15,000 Sandals Worth N48M To Pupils by saintneo(m): 6:15am On Sep 10, 2011
story! story!
Re: Ekiti Indigenes Abroad Donate 15,000 Sandals Worth N48M To Pupils by edoyad(m): 7:03am On Sep 10, 2011
grin . Where's ekt-grizzly ? For all the noise he makes in the political section he'd better have contributed to this program or else.
Re: Ekiti Indigenes Abroad Donate 15,000 Sandals Worth N48M To Pupils by amaham(m): 7:17am On Sep 10, 2011
I tink de diasporans don't want any future political aspirants complainin 'I have no shoes' to deceive us givin him votes
Re: Ekiti Indigenes Abroad Donate 15,000 Sandals Worth N48M To Pupils by ektbear: 7:18am On Sep 10, 2011
edoyad:

grin . Where's ekt-grizzly ? For all the noise he makes in the political section he'd better have contributed to this program or else.

Hehehe

Truth be told, I've never heard of this project before it was posted here. Looks like it has a website where you can donate via Paypal:

http://www.edesc.org/support-your-project

I'll put money where my mouth is and contribute, hehe grin
Re: Ekiti Indigenes Abroad Donate 15,000 Sandals Worth N48M To Pupils by Acutex: 7:25am On Sep 10, 2011
Bayelsa state indigenes in the diaspora contributed N2million to buy shoes, a pair of balls and a brand new brain 4 their President, Odele Fool'sluck Lootnathan,
Re: Ekiti Indigenes Abroad Donate 15,000 Sandals Worth N48M To Pupils by Image123(m): 7:31am On Sep 10, 2011
Lol @ 'i have no shoes' future politicians. But seriously, hope these people have something better than shoes to give money for, 45million naira for shoes? In corrupt nigeria? Hope they have better plans for scholarships, exercise books, text books, etc?
Re: Ekiti Indigenes Abroad Donate 15,000 Sandals Worth N48M To Pupils by oge4real(f): 9:28am On Sep 10, 2011
So they Will wear designer shoes to go and sit on the bare floor, then read the skies abi?
Re: Ekiti Indigenes Abroad Donate 15,000 Sandals Worth N48M To Pupils by funkybaby(f): 10:17am On Sep 10, 2011
15,000 sandals worth 48million naira

they must be christian louboutin sandals undecided

oge4real:

So they Will wear designer shoes to go and sit on the bare floor, then read the skies abi?

gbam !
Re: Ekiti Indigenes Abroad Donate 15,000 Sandals Worth N48M To Pupils by Dgunnerz(m): 10:50am On Sep 10, 2011
Maybe the reporter is wrong.48million or 4.8million?15k pupils for 48miller sandals?
Are the sandals specially customised?Na waoooo!
I think is 4.8million Naira.
Re: Ekiti Indigenes Abroad Donate 15,000 Sandals Worth N48M To Pupils by Dgunnerz(m): 10:50am On Sep 10, 2011
Maybe the reporter is wrong.48million or 4.8million?15k pupils for 48miller sandals?
Are the sandals specially customised?Na waoooo!
I think is 4.8million Naira.
Re: Ekiti Indigenes Abroad Donate 15,000 Sandals Worth N48M To Pupils by badmrkt(m): 11:41am On Sep 10, 2011
hope they've also bought one for our shoeless president?
Re: Ekiti Indigenes Abroad Donate 15,000 Sandals Worth N48M To Pupils by Ufeolorun(m): 11:48am On Sep 10, 2011
Not bad ,but compared to what we need and what we have and could do, i say not enough.
Ule ra need a lot of attention.
Okun o! cool
Re: Ekiti Indigenes Abroad Donate 15,000 Sandals Worth N48M To Pupils by Ufeolorun(m): 11:55am On Sep 10, 2011
grin
[/quote][quote author=badmrkt link=topic=756208.msg9118180#msg9118180 date=1315651314]
hope they've also bought one for our shoeless president?
Re: Ekiti Indigenes Abroad Donate 15,000 Sandals Worth N48M To Pupils by tpia5: 12:12pm On Sep 10, 2011
Kudos and more grease to their elbows.

Owo a ma roke.

Hope the shoes were locally bought.
Re: Ekiti Indigenes Abroad Donate 15,000 Sandals Worth N48M To Pupils by Amjustme: 12:17pm On Sep 10, 2011
At least nobody from Ekiti will grow up tomorrow and tell us, 'I had no shoes, '
Re: Ekiti Indigenes Abroad Donate 15,000 Sandals Worth N48M To Pupils by dagboss(m): 12:41pm On Sep 10, 2011
Hummmmm dont be in a haste praising the move, tomorrow you may see one of those dudes showing up to contest Ekiti guber post. Thanks to those that did some arithmetic on the cost of the sandal1. For the records me i be 100% Ekiti Kete man o, but this news looks strange.
Re: Ekiti Indigenes Abroad Donate 15,000 Sandals Worth N48M To Pupils by noskeybaba: 12:42pm On Sep 10, 2011
I CANT STOP PICTURING THIS ON MY HEAD. "pupils wearing designers sandals (probably Gucci) with tartered clothes to schl. (ie if they paid schl fees). They should hav thought of somthing better to do with their money, may be buy books or renovate the schl or improve on the infrastructure. Who d fu*k gave them the idea of sandals? (probably ekiti ppl dnt have shoes or their ppl in diaspora are even more dumb than d village ekiti indigen) cheesy
And again 48 mil for mere sandal? Thats ridiculous. That amount can buy sandals for all d abokis in d 12 states of d north tongue
Re: Ekiti Indigenes Abroad Donate 15,000 Sandals Worth N48M To Pupils by hbrednic: 2:32pm On Sep 10, 2011
Good one ekiti,
but 48m for 15,000 sandal? na politician una give the contract?
the money is more than enough to build a shoe factory in ekiti.
Re: Ekiti Indigenes Abroad Donate 15,000 Sandals Worth N48M To Pupils by TEEZERO(m): 3:34pm On Sep 10, 2011
It must be that they did a survey to find out the needs of the people or they guessed.
Re: Ekiti Indigenes Abroad Donate 15,000 Sandals Worth N48M To Pupils by naijaking1: 3:40pm On Sep 10, 2011
hbrednic:

Good one ekiti,
but 48m for 15,000 sandal? na politician una give the contract?
the money is more than enough to build a shoe factory in ekiti.

Aba shoe factories will be more than happy to fill these orders.
Re: Ekiti Indigenes Abroad Donate 15,000 Sandals Worth N48M To Pupils by Bawss1(m): 4:00pm On Sep 10, 2011
Am just me:

At least nobody from Ekiti will grow up tomorrow and tell us, 'I had no shoes, '
cheesy
Re: Ekiti Indigenes Abroad Donate 15,000 Sandals Worth N48M To Pupils by emofine(f): 4:01pm On Sep 10, 2011
Impressive! cool
Re: Ekiti Indigenes Abroad Donate 15,000 Sandals Worth N48M To Pupils by ak47mann(m): 4:03pm On Sep 10, 2011
Am just me:

cheesy cheesy
Re: Ekiti Indigenes Abroad Donate 15,000 Sandals Worth N48M To Pupils by occam(m): 4:28pm On Sep 10, 2011
noskeybaba:

I CANT STOP PICTURING THIS ON MY HEAD. "pupils wearing designers sandals (probably Gucci) with tartered clothes to schl. (ie if they paid schl fees). They should hav thought of somthing better to do with their money, may be buy books or renovate the schl or improve on the infrastructure. Who d fu*k gave them the idea of sandals? (probably ekiti ppl dnt have shoes or their ppl in diaspora are even more dumb than d village ekiti indigen) cheesy
And again 48 mil for mere sandal? Thats ridiculous. That amount can buy sandals for all d abokis in d 12 states of d north tongue

When you consider that most of these kids trek long distance to school; it’s not a frivolous spending.

Per unit cost for the scandal is $20 or N3, 200 (N48 million/15,000). On average, a decent shoe costs N4, 000 in most Nigerian markets; so the quoted amount makes sense. Designer kids shoes will cost triple that in Nigeria.

Kudos to Ekiti indigenes living abroad for this initiative. Every little helps. It’s their donation and can spend it on whatever they want.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Son Of Kogi State Governor Owns N5bn Hotel In Abuja (summer Set Continental) / That Clueless Region / Kudos To Kwankwaso! I Spotted One Woman During His Declaration Rally.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.