Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,749 members, 7,820,586 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 05:38 PM

Terrible State Of The English Language In Nigeria - Culture (18) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Terrible State Of The English Language In Nigeria (27328 Views)

Igala Language In Anambra State. / Alj Harem Studies On The Olukumis (old Yoruba Language) In Delta Ugbodu / Why Hausa Language In Bbc, Voa, Germany Radio, China, France Anybody Know ? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Terrible State Of The English Language In Nigeria by soulpatrol(f): 11:19pm On Sep 10, 2007
yes it is when u want to get ahead in life. for naija maybe not, but for here, it sure as heck is important.
Re: Terrible State Of The English Language In Nigeria by doyin13(m): 11:26pm On Sep 10, 2007
@soulpatrol

I actually believe otherwise

Na for naija dem dey argue over every nut and bolt of the lingo
The habit of pedantry wey I see say u pick up avidly

For here they really dont give that much of a toss at least in the
spoken version

Obviously the standards of the written version is high altho
they would rather do without the penchant for verbosity wey naija get
Re: Terrible State Of The English Language In Nigeria by Nobody: 11:33pm On Sep 10, 2007
How many oyibo people speak/write good English?you only get good grammar in their newspapers and their official communication. otherwise most of them are barely literate
Re: Terrible State Of The English Language In Nigeria by toshmann(m): 12:03am On Sep 11, 2007
tell them
Re: Terrible State Of The English Language In Nigeria by ssRhino: 12:06am On Sep 11, 2007
i cant blv that this thread is still growing
Re: Terrible State Of The English Language In Nigeria by debosky(m): 12:16am On Sep 11, 2007
doyin13:

they would rather do without the penchant for verbosity wey naija get

you hit the nail on the head bro, some people think its by using plenty big words amd senseless tautologies that they make sense

clear and simple communication is essential, no more. if you want to blow big grammar, go and be a lawyer or something, or go join student union for campus, those guys blow the most senseless grammar i've ever heard. and some mumus will be cheering them on

I remember the one my friend made up one night

prostitutic akokites
[b]ayangba[/b]ristic akokites grin grin

all in the name of sounding intelligent sad
Re: Terrible State Of The English Language In Nigeria by na2day2(m): 1:18am On Sep 11, 2007
na the way
Re: Terrible State Of The English Language In Nigeria by free2ryhme: 2:18pm On Sep 11, 2007
"Fear them not therefore: for there is nothing covered, that
shall not be revealed; and hid, that shall not be known"
Re: Terrible State Of The English Language In Nigeria by doyin13(m): 2:59pm On Sep 11, 2007
@debosky

I will admit I kind of appreciate the verbosity
of those student union leaders

At least they dont take themselves too seriously

I remember Tony Fash in his prime at Ife.
Saw him speak once.
I swear the speech should be etched in stone.

grin grin grin
Re: Terrible State Of The English Language In Nigeria by bolorunfem(f): 3:20pm On Sep 11, 2007
soulpatrol:

hmm my English teachers in high school used to "ta bon" so much that it is a wonder how i managed to speak and write good English. I guess it was something I happened to be good at, so no stress there.
they "ta bonned" so bad that i wonder if they even finished school. walai i'm sure they didn't possess the license to teach, they did ojoro.

yoruba teachers were the worst, grin with their H-factor and mispronounciation. God help u if u don't begin to speak like them at the end of the day. never will I send my 'shidren' tongue to a naija school o. even the so-called private schools are no better.

I agree with you on the  private school teachers.  Not all of them are bad really, of course there are private schools and there are private schools. You've just reminded me of one female private school teacher in my area who also happens to be my house fellowship teacher. My-oh-my,  if I write the kind of English she speaks here you'll say it's gross exageration. It's as bad as not being able to pronounce some 3-letter words, eg she once read 'pin' as 'pain' and 'toe' as 'two' (mind you shes not know with any eye-defect!) Honestly I'm not sure she finished secondary school, and you can imagine what kind of English her poor pupils will be taught in school. Oops embarassed embarassed
Re: Terrible State Of The English Language In Nigeria by ssRhino: 11:18pm On Sep 11, 2007
would be nice if we could infact get another language for nigeria, that will prevent all these arguement.
Re: Terrible State Of The English Language In Nigeria by doyin13(m): 11:45pm On Sep 11, 2007
$$Rhino:

would be nice if we could infact get another language for nigeria, that will prevent all these arguement.

I suggest fijian

Its so remote, it is surely the only thing wey no go cause conflict for Naija

I think undecided
Re: Terrible State Of The English Language In Nigeria by ssRhino: 11:58pm On Sep 11, 2007
doyin, sorry for my ignorance, but could you please tell me which one is fijian, hope you not refering to the fiji langs?
Re: Terrible State Of The English Language In Nigeria by doyin13(m): 12:06am On Sep 12, 2007
You too wan turn pedant abi

No make me kick you all the way to Suva o.

They might mistake you for a kaffir grin
Re: Terrible State Of The English Language In Nigeria by ssRhino: 12:12am On Sep 12, 2007
haba now, i beg na night school i went oh, with my slate, so i beg make u teach da broda jare
Re: Terrible State Of The English Language In Nigeria by doyin13(m): 12:17am On Sep 12, 2007
$$Rhino:

haba now, i beg na night school i went oh, with my slate, so i beg make u teach da brother jare

Ol bob shay na that one for maza maza.

Remember say na with Hausa them dey teach us grin
Re: Terrible State Of The English Language In Nigeria by ssRhino: 12:20am On Sep 12, 2007
yes oh, and that is where i learn ' it is a go and it is a come", and that is why i say " teacher, teacher no be lecturer be your name, make u teach me well!" ayakataaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
Re: Terrible State Of The English Language In Nigeria by tommyex(m): 9:26am On Sep 18, 2007
POSTER

U NEVA SEE PROPER IBUN(MISS USE OF ENGLISH)

WHEN U ENCOUNTER D REAL 1 U WILL JUS CHANGE THIS TOPIC,WE NO TRY WHY DEM NO FIT COME ERE TRY DIS STRONG PIDGIN WEY WE DEY TALK.
U GO OFFICE U GO YAN D TIN,REACH HOUSE U GO YAN AM AGAIN?ABEG FREE STORY 4 TORTOISE.
NO WORRY I GO SEND SOME REAL LANGUAGE-KILLERS 2 UR OFFICE,THEN U LL KNOW HOW FAR

PEOPLE THAT CAN USE SENTENCES LIKE THIS WITHOUT FEAR

I LL CALL U INCASE OF ANY EVENTUALLY
U BETTER WENT TO SCHOOL AND DONT BE LATE

I BEG MAKE I STOP ERE,I THRIVE ON POOR ENGLISH FRM MY PEOPLE 4 MY LISTENING ENTERTAINMENT,lol
Re: Terrible State Of The English Language In Nigeria by angel101(f): 9:50am On Sep 18, 2007
@ all
Pidgin is not the problem afterall it is a language. The problem here is abuse of the English language e.g

reverse back = reverse your car
cut your hand = turn your steering wheel
dress for me = move up the seat
still yet = ?
night vigil = ? (vigil is always at night)
should incase = ?

grin
Re: Terrible State Of The English Language In Nigeria by waxyweller: 12:18pm On Sep 18, 2007
abeg leave pigin english ooo, we dey enjoy am , i love it

OYA NA , LETS GO
Re: Terrible State Of The English Language In Nigeria by romeo(m): 2:25pm On Sep 18, 2007
this thread never die? grin grin grin
Re: Terrible State Of The English Language In Nigeria by na2day2(m): 5:46am On Sep 19, 2007
na u sabi, vigil is not always at nite oooo, there is morning vigil. as per reverse back, wat is wrong with that one, i can reverse front, and for ur info, reverse itself is wrong in the states, it is back out, or back something but not reverse, just like u say open your boot, they say pump the trunk, na who correct? abeg 9ja form ur own english jare, na we own. grin grin grin

angel101:

@ all
Pidgin is not the problem afterall it is a language. The problem here is abuse of the English language e.g

still yet = ?
should incase = ?

grin
Re: Terrible State Of The English Language In Nigeria by darfur(m): 5:57pm On Sep 22, 2007
angel101:

@ all

still yet = ?
should incase = ?

grin
in case of incasity= in case
repeat again= repeat
extreme end= extreme or end
luxurious bus=luxury bus
kill am die=kill

this na our own language, if u wan learn am u go language classes for any of the numerous universities motor parks wey full naija.
Re: Terrible State Of The English Language In Nigeria by na2day2(m): 7:02pm On Sep 22, 2007
correct man, na the levels grin grin grin

darfur:

in case of incasity= in case
repeat again= repeat
extreme end= extreme or end
luxurious bus=luxury bus
kill am die=kill

this na our own language, if u wan learn am u go language classes for any of the numerous universities motor parks wey full naija.

Re: Terrible State Of The English Language In Nigeria by chika98: 7:03am On Sep 23, 2007
It's appalling ! Even on here, such poor display of English Language! Sucks I tell you
Re: Terrible State Of The English Language In Nigeria by darfur(m): 8:46am On Sep 23, 2007
suck am back. na we language be dat. hoha. we love am cheesy cheesy
Re: Terrible State Of The English Language In Nigeria by NINETOFIVE(m): 9:40am On Sep 23, 2007
This thread is a total manifestation of the author's backwardness, get out see the world, when you 've accomplished that and might have learned one or two things, we would discuss the terrible state of Igbo language in Germany and England or the terrible state of Yoruba language in France and Russia, ignorance is bliss.
Re: Terrible State Of The English Language In Nigeria by romeo(m): 7:15pm On Sep 23, 2007
NINETOFIVE:

This thread is a total manifestation of the author's backwardness, get out see the world, when you 've accomplished that and might have learned one or two things, we would discuss the terrible state of Igbo language in Germany and England or the terrible state of Yoruba language in France and Russia, ignorance is bliss.

truth my brother cheesy
Re: Terrible State Of The English Language In Nigeria by na2day2(m): 2:39am On Sep 24, 2007
God go bless u plenty

NINETOFIVE:

Re: Terrible State Of The English Language In Nigeria by darfur(m): 11:14pm On Sep 24, 2007
pidgin all the way. wetin de shele for this zone cool nothing mega cheesy
Re: Terrible State Of The English Language In Nigeria by Ndipe(m): 2:46am On Nov 21, 2007
Nothing wrong with speaking pidgin english.
Re: Terrible State Of The English Language In Nigeria by predi(m): 9:39pm On Nov 27, 2007
omo mehn! oga o! shocked

u knw na only naija dudes i c sey dnt appreciate stuff at all especially some of those wey dem born for yonda{no generalization now!}. the ability of the american english to be different from the so-called queens english today is one of the things dat made the country soooooo gr8. wu says anytin is wrong wif our pidgin english, should be hav his/her passport withdrawn- wetin be dat one? even wen yu study the pigdin english in nigeria, yu'll discova it has soo many forms dat lends credence to class strata and stuff- the average literate naija dude speaks wat is called refined pidgin and u get to hia anoda man from the ghetto speak some pidgin and yu'll be like woa! so it is in Britain and in yankee and in australia and so on. so wats yur big problem wit our own creole- abeg leave am for us o! FILE!!!!!!!!!!!!

(1) (2) (3) ... (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (Reply)

Canada Invites Ooni To 150th Independence Anniversary / Ori Olokun Unveiled In Ile Ife Osun State / Why Do Yoruba Guys Mostly Marry Igbo Girls Than Vice Versa?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.