Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,763 members, 7,824,188 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 03:47 AM

Why I'm Being Attacked By Detractors - Okonjo-Iweala - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why I'm Being Attacked By Detractors - Okonjo-Iweala (6013 Views)

Why I’m Being Attacked Over Card Readers — Jega / Breaking News! Rivers State Government House Is Being Attacked By Ogoni Youths! / Tinubu’s Record Trumps His Detractors (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why I'm Being Attacked By Detractors - Okonjo-Iweala by ak47mann(m): 4:50am On Sep 12, 2011
Why I’m Under Attack – Okonjo-iweala

ABUJA—The Coordinating Minister of Economy and Minister of Finance, Dr. Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala, said yesterday that she came under attack by detractors who wanted to get at President Goodluck Jonathan and bring down his government.

Briefing the press on the on-going reform agenda of the federal government , in Abuja, she said that those behind the accusations of corruption against her had earlier tried to discourage her from joining Jonathan’s government but failed.

Dr. Okonjo-Iweala who was accused of receiving a commission on the Nigerian debt deal with the Paris Club in 2005 and influencing $50 million contract for her brother while serving in the government of former president Olusegun Obasanjo told journalists that she expected more attacks ahead but that she won’t be deterred from pursuing the on-going reform agenda.

Her words: “With the launch of this aspect of transformation agenda (transparency), it is not a surprise that we see attacks. And as more aspects of the reform unfolds, we will see more and more attacks against my person and against members of the team.

Dr. Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala
“The underlying motivation is for this administration not to succeed. Before I came people tried to block me from coming. They actually came to see me to tell me not to come. Because if I came there might be a chance for success.

“The people who are trying to do damage to my reputation, think that they can do that but I assure they cannot and they will never succeed. The more we move on with the reform, they will attack, plant stories and all that. This won’t stop. I am just alerting you.

It won’t stop because when you fight corruption, corruption fights back. So in the attempt to fight corruption, they will try to paint you like one of them”.

Dr. Okonjo-Iweala said it was up to the media to cross check their facts before publishing, rather than copy falsehood from “disreputable websites that have now become sites of lies instead of sites of truth.”

When asked if Wikileaks was one of the websites she described as “disreputable”, the minister said “I did not mention wikileaks, but the wikileaks story about me is completely false. How can they say someone alleged that I gave something to JonJon? Anybody who knows me would know I have no brother called JonJon. I am not concerned about that because everybody knows whom I am. But you don’t just let these things go like that. You have to quickly refute them.”

The minister expressed resolve not to be distracted, saying “absolutely, there will be no turning back in terms of doing the work. They will not divert our attention in terms of focusing on the substance”.

According to her, “Nigeria and the 150 million Nigerians are larger than any one individual or of individuals in the country. I don’t understand that kind of psychology. It is not even just about the administration but about the 150 million Nigerians whose lives should be bettered. Some people don’t want that to happen. That is what I take exception to. That they are ready to sacrifice their fellow citizens who want to improve roads, water supply, power supply, create jobs”.

She said that the World Bank usually carry out due diligence on candidates before taking them on and that she would not have been allowed to return to the organization after serving under former president Olusegun Obasanjo, if she was corrupt.

Publication of allocations to states and LGs

In her pursuit of transparency, the minister said she has resumed the publication of detailed monthly allocations to all state governments and local governments to enable Nigerians know how much their governors and local government chairmen receive from the federation account.

“We started during the last administration (Obasanjo’s government) to publish this on a regular basis. When I came back, I found that for almost a year, the publication had stopped. Actually, before that, they were not regular anymore.

“One of the most popular questions that people kept asking me was what happened? Why isn’t the government publishing the allocation to the three tiers of government anymore? So we immediately went to work. I asked President Jonathan who gave his blessing for a quick re-launch of this aspect, since it is by popular demand.

“With the support of the Accountant-General’s Office we started the publication again which you saw last week. But more importantly we have now put together the allocation in the last 15 months into a book. We will load it on the website so that Nigerians can see what their states and local governments receive monthly. That is transparency in action”, she said.

According to the minister individual Nigerians and civil society organizations could now download the data and do independent analysis on the allocations.

2012 Budget

The minister said that work had started in earnest on Budget 2012 and that her team would meet the leadership of the National Assembly between this week and next week with a view to arriving at the fundamentals.

She said that her ministry officials and those of the Budget Office were already working round the clock to ensure that the budget was presented to the legislature between November and early December for an early passage by the National Assembly.

Dr. okonjo-Iweala, however, admitted that there were some difficulties with the implementation of the 2011 budget which required the executive consulting with the legislature on the need to re-allocate funds to some projects for which adequate provisions were not initially made.

VANGUARD NEWSPAPER
Re: Why I'm Being Attacked By Detractors - Okonjo-Iweala by Beaf: 4:55am On Sep 12, 2011
The very same animals accusing the woman of corruption are the same people that made death threats and all sorts of other threats to do her bodily harm if she took up the appointment with GEJ. Its because they know she is not just a big brain, but has the deep morals and zeal of a reformer; they are scared that her searchlight will find their ugly cobwebs. They bera begin shivering and shacking. cool
Re: Why I'm Being Attacked By Detractors - Okonjo-Iweala by Kobojunkie: 5:00am On Sep 12, 2011
ak47mann:

Dr. Okonjo-Iweala who was accused of receiving a commission on the Nigerian debt deal with the Paris Club in 2005 and influencing $50 million contract for her brother while serving in the government of former president Olusegun Obasanjo told journalists that she expected more attacks ahead but that she won’t be deterred from pursuing the on-going reform agenda.

Her words: “With the launch of this aspect of transformation agenda (transparency), it is not a surprise that we see attacks. And as more aspects of the reform unfolds, we will see more and more attacks against my person and against members of the team.

Dr. Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala
“The underlying motivation is for this administration not to succeed. Before I came people tried to block me from coming. They actually came to see me to tell me not to come. Because if I came there might be a chance for success.

“The people who are trying to do damage to my reputation, think that they can do that but I assure they cannot and they will never succeed. The more we move on with the reform, they will attack, plant stories and all that. This won’t stop. I am just alerting you.

It won’t stop because when you fight corruption, corruption fights back. So in the attempt to fight corruption, they will try to paint you like one of them”.
. . . .
When asked if Wikileaks was one of the websites she described as “disreputable”, the minister said “I did not mention wikileaks, but the wikileaks story about me is completely false. How can they say someone alleged that I gave something to JonJon? Anybody who knows me would know I have no brother called JonJon. I am not concerned about that because everybody knows whom I am. But you don’t just let these things go like that. You have to quickly refute them.”

Someone is seriously deluded . . . . What did Wikileaks accuse her of? She was alleged to have given a 50 million dollar contract to a brother, an allegation SHE VERIFIED the existence of, and is even said to have posited that an investigation was carried out to clear her name. Now her story is that THEY are out to get her?? ROFL!!

Nigerians and OJUJU CALABAR! Who are THEY? Julian Assange?? The Anonymous group working constantly to upload leaked data onto wikileaks? Nigerian media for publishing what was leaked?? Who are the Ojuju Calabars in this case?
Re: Why I'm Being Attacked By Detractors - Okonjo-Iweala by efisher(m): 5:41am On Sep 12, 2011
The losers will keep trying to derail her but they will keep failing. Nothing do you madam Iweala.
Re: Why I'm Being Attacked By Detractors - Okonjo-Iweala by efisher(m): 5:43am On Sep 12, 2011
. . . In fact, things like this will only make her stronger and strengthen her resolve to do more.
Re: Why I'm Being Attacked By Detractors - Okonjo-Iweala by iswell1(m): 6:17am On Sep 12, 2011
my sister don't mind them keep doing the good things you are doing for our counter
Re: Why I'm Being Attacked By Detractors - Okonjo-Iweala by iswell1(m): 6:36am On Sep 12, 2011
country
Re: Why I'm Being Attacked By Detractors - Okonjo-Iweala by redsun(m): 7:36am On Sep 12, 2011
If they have been publishing the FG allocations to the state and local government since obj regime,how come they have not use the figures to check the expenditures and excesses of those the money is allocated to and bring defaulters to book? Instead of speculating of who is corrupt or not,all can be seen from figures,including that of the FG. Incomes and expenditures should be accounted for down to the last kobo,that what accounting is all about.
Re: Why I'm Being Attacked By Detractors - Okonjo-Iweala by werepeLeri: 7:43am On Sep 12, 2011
Especially those Nairalanders who sees nothing good in her, in what she says and in what she does - may their plan boomerang upon their heads-

Those who never see anything good in Nigeria and Nigeria government - may they vanish as their plan boomerang upon their head.

Cary on ma.

They will soon accuse you of being GEJ's girlfriend.
Re: Why I'm Being Attacked By Detractors - Okonjo-Iweala by Kobojunkie: 12:10pm On Sep 12, 2011
There is no Ojuju Calabar after you, madam! These are not your detractors but your "past" catching up with you.

You confirmed the allegations did exist back in 2006, only you probably did not believe it was the right of the public to be informed of this, even back then. Guess what? Everything hidden has a funny way of getting out in the open and now we know the allegations existed. You have just confirmed that yourself. Now, it will behoove you to stop hiding the information from Nigerians. We are the owners in this democracy and we deserve to know -- 50 million claim no be joke. Wetin really happen? Who investigated? What was the result? Speak OUT -- playing the "VICTIM CARD" ain't gonna make this go away.   grin grin grin grin
Re: Why I'm Being Attacked By Detractors - Okonjo-Iweala by akinnux(m): 12:27pm On Sep 12, 2011
Aunty Ngozi don't mind your detractors just be focused, Olorun a fun e se (the Lord is your help).
Re: Why I'm Being Attacked By Detractors - Okonjo-Iweala by Nobody: 12:50pm On Sep 12, 2011
Who are they?. What are there names?.
Re: Why I'm Being Attacked By Detractors - Okonjo-Iweala by deenee: 12:51pm On Sep 12, 2011
Why make the allegations 'public' now?, when the 'supposed contract and kickback' for the debt deal was consumated around 2004-2005.

I beg to ask this queation-If Dr. Okonjo-Iweala is not part of GEJ's cabinet and is not at the forefront, advocating for a 'reformed Nigeria' (something that we all desire) , will these 'Wikileaks report' come out? I am not saying that she is a 'saint' but it is high time we begin to critically analyse information before we 'react'.

As one of my mentors would always say- the media is a 'deceptive tool' that has been used to control the 'thought process' of people and with the advent of social media, it is an easy tool used to turn people into 'clones'.

Media-black man's KRYPTONITE
Re: Why I'm Being Attacked By Detractors - Okonjo-Iweala by Xfactoria: 12:54pm On Sep 12, 2011
Kobojunkie:

There is no Ojuju Calabar after you, madam! These are not your detractors but your "past" catching up with you.

You confirmed the allegations did exist back in 2006, only you probably did not believe it was the right of the public to be informed of this, even back then. Guess what? Everything hidden has a funny way of getting out in the open and now we know the allegations existed. You have just confirmed that yourself. Now, it will behoove you to stop hiding the information from Nigerians. We are the owners in this democracy and we deserve to know -- 50 million claim no be joke. Wetin really happen? Who investigated? What was the result? Speak OUT -- playing the "VICTIM CARD" ain't gonna make this go away.   grin grin grin grin

You this junkie gaian What do you want her to say that she has not said? She said the story is false and was fabricated to taint her. Why don't you go and conduct an investigation yourself?

The information in Wikileaks are gists between people and not facts! How can you wickedly conclude that her "past" is catching up with her

It seems you are actually one of the detractors she was talking about. Please leave her alone and let her do her job!!!!!!
Re: Why I'm Being Attacked By Detractors - Okonjo-Iweala by Nobody: 1:00pm On Sep 12, 2011
[size=16pt]"my detractors at  work"[/size] typical low grade 9ja response to weighty issues. Disappointed to see it coming from Iweala. But then , what else is new?.
Re: Why I'm Being Attacked By Detractors - Okonjo-Iweala by Kobojunkie: 1:06pm On Sep 12, 2011
deenee:

Why make the allegations 'public' now?, when the 'supposed contract and kickback' for the debt deal was consumated around 2004-2005.

I beg to ask this queation-If Dr. Okonjo-Iweala is not part of GEJ's cabinet and is not at the forefront, advocating for a 'reformed Nigeria' (something that we all desire) , will these 'Wikileaks report' come out? I am not saying that she is a 'saint' but it is high time we begin to critically analyse information before we 'react'.

As one of my mentors would always say- the media is a 'deceptive tool' that has been used to control the 'thought process' of people and with the advent of social media, it is an easy tool used to turn people into 'clones'.

Media-black man's KRYPTONITE

You probably want to start by asking WHO MADE THE ALLEGATION SECRET, and WHY IT WAS SECRET IN THE FIRST PLACE. I mean tthe question of why it was made public now, that is a no brainer. he documents were stolen and leaked. I mean leaks typically do not follow anyone's timetable. Those who stole it leak it when they want.
Re: Why I'm Being Attacked By Detractors - Okonjo-Iweala by Nobody: 1:11pm On Sep 12, 2011
[size=16pt]'Before I came people tried to block me from coming. They actually came to see me to tell me not to come.'[/size]

@kobo was that you?

This woman is fast losing credibility.

[size=16pt]'Because if I came there might be a chance for success'[/size]. :
Re: Why I'm Being Attacked By Detractors - Okonjo-Iweala by deenee: 1:12pm On Sep 12, 2011
jerseyboy:

[size=16pt]"my detractors at  work"[/size] typical low grade 9ja response to weighty issues. Disappointed to see it coming from Iweala. But then , what else is new?.

What kind of response do you expect from her ? Or will you not agree that this, is a huge 'distraction' from the goal at hand? We need to look beyond petty 'ramblings' and focus on how Nigeria can move forward in all aspects as a 'collective entity'

I still put this question forward-Why now?, if Dr Ngozi is still with the WB and is not in Nigeria, advocating for radical reform-which is giving 'some people' sleepless nights, will the wikileaks report come out?

Media-black man's KRYPTONITE!
Re: Why I'm Being Attacked By Detractors - Okonjo-Iweala by MEGAWATCH: 1:20pm On Sep 12, 2011
People like that thief called T.A.Orji of Abia will definetly start crying because of this monthly allocation publication. He has always been telling Abians that the state allocation is 2.5 billion but last week we saw 3.6 billion or there-about. Many days for the Thief After Orji,but,
Re: Why I'm Being Attacked By Detractors - Okonjo-Iweala by Kobojunkie: 1:21pm On Sep 12, 2011
deenee:

What kind of response do you expect from her ? Or will you not agree that this, is a huge 'distraction' from the goal at hand? We need to look beyond petty 'ramblings' and focus on how Nigeria can move forward in all aspects as a 'collective entity'

I still put this question forward-Why now?, if Dr Ngozi is still with the WB and is not in Nigeria, advocating for radical reform-which is giving 'some people' sleepless nights, will the wikileaks report come out?

Media-black man's KRYPTONITE!

So, wikileaks would not have released this leak if Iweala, who was just one of those named in this particular leak, had not been brought back to Nigeria from the WB??  

I think I have my dose of the Nigerian delusion to sustain me for the whole day.

Re: Why I'm Being Attacked By Detractors - Okonjo-Iweala by Nobody: 1:26pm On Sep 12, 2011
Jonah blames the Buhari,
Orji blames Boko Haram for mass retrenchment
Madam World bank blames her detractors,
Nigeria wetin we do God to make us cursed with this wicked theives
Re: Why I'm Being Attacked By Detractors - Okonjo-Iweala by PointB: 1:30pm On Sep 12, 2011
Nigerians have no iota of doubt on the integrity of Mrs. Okonjo Iweala. We believe her efforts to tackle corruption in high places will be successfully. The challenges she is facing now is usual - when you fight corruption, it fights back according to Ribadu.
Re: Why I'm Being Attacked By Detractors - Okonjo-Iweala by Nobody: 1:31pm On Sep 12, 2011
@pointb
speak for urself
Re: Why I'm Being Attacked By Detractors - Okonjo-Iweala by deenee: 1:32pm On Sep 12, 2011
Kobojunkie:

So, wikileaks would not have released this leak if Iweala, who was just one of those named in this particular leak, had not been brought back to Nigeria from the WB??  

I think I have my dose of the Nigerian delusion to sustain me for the whole day.

In retrospect,  the source has to be 'authenticated'-wikileaks or not. We also need to look at the 'bigger picture'. As indicated in my earlier post, she might not be a 'saint' but she is better than some of our leaders in government today.

Corruption as a 'social pandemic' has become the norm in our society and the beneficiaries include public officer holders, corrupt private sector participants and even foreign MNCs.

We are all quick to put a 'rope around her neck  for her to be hanged without looking at the 'bigger picture'
Re: Why I'm Being Attacked By Detractors - Okonjo-Iweala by Kobojunkie: 1:33pm On Sep 12, 2011
Julian Assange ,  you are wanted in Nigeria ooo!!!! You are now Okonjo-Iweala's detractor oooo. . . .  She is "fighting against corruption", and you are the one fighting her back ooo!!!
Re: Why I'm Being Attacked By Detractors - Okonjo-Iweala by cap28: 1:35pm On Sep 12, 2011
excuses excuses, but what else would she have used to defend her position which is looking increasingly untenable.

here is a woman that is about to deal nigerians a very big blow with the fuel subsidy removal but first she is trying to soften you up so that you dont notice the intense pain you are about to pass through, nigerians the most delusional people on the planet.
Re: Why I'm Being Attacked By Detractors - Okonjo-Iweala by Kobojunkie: 1:36pm On Sep 12, 2011
deenee:

In retrospect,  the source has to be 'authenticated'-wikileaks or not. We also need to look at the 'bigger picture'. As indicated in my earlier post, she might not be a 'saint' but she is better than some of our leaders in government today.

For pete's sake, stop manufacturing the idi-otic. What source needs to be authenticated?? ROFLMAO!! What "BIGGER" Picture is there now?? She already posited that the allegations did exist, according to what was stated in the document. What gobble-gook are you vomitting now? ROFLMAO!!!

deenee:

Corruption as a 'social pandemic' has become the norm in our society and the beneficiaries include public officer holders, corrupt private sector participants and even foreign MNCs.We are all quick to put a 'rope around her neck  for her to be hanged without looking at the 'bigger picture'

Are you in some way suggesting that if the allegations turned out to be true, that we ought to avert our eyes from that and look instead at YOUR BIGGER PICTURE??

Re: Why I'm Being Attacked By Detractors - Okonjo-Iweala by bisiaet: 1:49pm On Sep 12, 2011
Madam dont mind them they are sore loosers and real coward going about in self glorofication and self sainthood.

Loosers, either they like it or not you will do your job and for the Aso Rock 2015 is when it will be vacant period!!! Let them go and do their worst.
Re: Why I'm Being Attacked By Detractors - Okonjo-Iweala by babaowo: 1:51pm On Sep 12, 2011
whats their name? And if u knows your enemy wot are u waiting for then? Common send boko's to them once. Nah only boko's i said ooooo! I ain't mention haram oooo! Lol
Re: Why I'm Being Attacked By Detractors - Okonjo-Iweala by ziccoit: 1:52pm On Sep 12, 2011
This is the thing they would be saying till they suck nigeria into a state of coma.
Re: Why I'm Being Attacked By Detractors - Okonjo-Iweala by doctokwus: 2:00pm On Sep 12, 2011
We hold our elected and selected offIcials to low standards indeed.I like dis woman okonjo but I dislike wen she uses nigerian standards to wish awy tins,fabricated or not.A newspaper or website publishd dese allegations,d owners are well known,if u av to clear ur name,u tel d medium to refute d story or u sue dem.U all shd notice dt not one of d accused has evn threatened to sue anybody to court,evn d pres and d wife wen dey clearly accused a nigerian newspaper of publishing "lies".Dough not concluding anythin,I av a sneaky feeling dt dey jst all wish all dese wi blow away and b 4gotten with time.I av my doubts about wit d way denials ar coming,I wish okonjo is clean bc if not,it wud b disastrous wt d kind of power she's wielding now.
Re: Why I'm Being Attacked By Detractors - Okonjo-Iweala by deenee: 2:01pm On Sep 12, 2011
@ kobojunkie

You don't need to 'jump the gun'. I have seen the report and she said that she was expecting 'allegations' along this line as, and I quote that she has been 'advised' prior to accepting the offer to serve not to return to Nigeria. Why 'advise' her not to return?

Why are we quick to put her head on a 'chopping block'? If she is found guilty, she should face the outcome, as I don't condone corruption and advocate 'zero tolerance' for it. But again, I can see from the feedback and 'reaction' (a popular behavioural trend with Nigerians both at home and in diaspora) that we have already formed a 'biased opinion' , simply based on some 'wikileak' report undecided. Hence, there is nothing that she will do or say now that will make sense.

God bless Nigeria and may he open our 'EYES' to see and understand beyond what we read in the Media-only then, can this great country of ours move forward. Finally, I now understand that the problem is not just our 'corrupt leaders' as we all know but our collective 'mindset' which needs to deconstructed!

It is only when we forget all our learning that we begin to know. -Henry David Thoreau

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Kabiru Sokoto Didn't Meet Amnesty Committee Members / INEC Extends PVC Collection In Plateau But Not Across Nigeria For Million PVC / Anambra, Afreximbank Sign $200m Development Agreement

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.