Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,094 members, 7,835,696 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 01:36 PM

Can You Survive On A 10,000 Weekly Pay? - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Can You Survive On A 10,000 Weekly Pay? (16281 Views)

How I Survive On A Salary Of 95k As A Married Man / How I Survive On 3k Per Week In Nigeria / Did You Have This Kind Of Parent As A Kid? How Did You Survive? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Can You Survive On A 10,000 Weekly Pay? by Treassured: 8:14pm On Feb 19, 2023
Coldplay007:

You are a wicked somebody.. the 100k per semester is less than the 30k you were collecting in 2017 ..
100k per semester is rubbish.. why would anybody pay a teenager once in a semester, when you know he can finish all the money in a week.. if you guys were collecting 30k per month in 2017.. it is fair he gets like 50 or 60k now..

I support this.

It doesn't make any sense giving a whole semester stipend to a Teenager at once.

The money should be sent In bits either Weekly/Monthly.

I usually send my little cousin her Stipend monthly.

6 Likes

Re: Can You Survive On A 10,000 Weekly Pay? by Treassured: 8:18pm On Feb 19, 2023
Kasdat5:
Pocket money was 6k monthly. But I had loads of food stuffs
A bag of Foreign Rice was 4k then
Only collected pocket money for a semester before I grew up...
10k/week should be cool for your bro

I experienced his too.
Re: Can You Survive On A 10,000 Weekly Pay? by Nazgul: 8:20pm On Feb 19, 2023
Nemesis0147:
Good morning fams,

Hope you guys are good?
Please can someone survive on a 10k weekly pay in this country?
What prompted me to ask this question is because our last born…during my days in school,we survived on a 30k in Esut and this was allowance apart from foodstuffs and textbooks and this was just 2016.
I use to take food stuffs when going back to school.
But our last born (brother) who is still in 100 level can’t survive with 100k for a semester….
We do give him food stuffs and money for textbooks separately…
He just called our mother that he is out of cash…dy no born am well to call me sha…
me and my immediate young brother want to place him on a weekly pay instead of monthly/semester…..what do you guys think?
A semester is about 4 months. 100k per semester would be about 25k per month. Whereras you were receiving 30k during your own time.

With the high rate of inflation...A plate of food that was about N200 in 2016 would be over N500 today. Campus shuttle that was N50 in 2016 would be about N200 today, gas that was N200 per kg in 2016 is over N800 per kg today. Same thing goes for food stuffs like indomine, tin tomato, rice, garri, palm oil...the prices they were sold in 2016 is double or more today.

How about photocopy cos lecturers would certainly give materials, photocopy of N10 per page in 2016 would be about N50 per page today. So in reality, 25k wouldn't exceed 2 weeks with him, cos you can't compare the economy of 2016 to 2023, unless you're trying to become a stumbling block to his comfort.

17 Likes

Re: Can You Survive On A 10,000 Weekly Pay? by Treassured: 8:22pm On Feb 19, 2023
Omihanifa:

Don't forget the OP said 100k for a semester which could either be 3 or 4 months

Perhaps he thought the Op said Monthly.

Some People doesn't cool down to Read.

5 Likes

Re: Can You Survive On A 10,000 Weekly Pay? by Nemesis0147(m): 8:31pm On Feb 19, 2023
Nazgul:

A semester is about 4 months. 100k per semester would be about 25k per month. Whereras you were receiving 30k during your own time.

With the high rate of inflation...A plate of food that was about N200 in 2016 would be over N500 today. Campus shuttle that was N50 in 2016 would be about N200 today, gas that was N200 per kg in 2016 is over N800 per kg today. Same thing goes for food stuffs like indomine, tin tomato, rice, garri, palm oil...the prices they were sold in 2016 is double or more today.

How about photocopy cos lecturers would certainly give materials, photocopy of N10 per page in 2016 would be about N50 per page today. So in reality, 25k wouldn't exceed 2 weeks with him, cos you can't compare the economy of 2016 to 2023, unless you're trying to become a stumbling block to his comfort.
my dear,,you see food stuffs ba,leave it for us!
The only thing he needs to buy if he wants to cook is fish or meat…every other things are gotten in bulk….moreover to get 30k then easy pass than now oh
There school shuttle is 2h per day but we use to Trek during our own time

It was fun sef trekking with friends

3 Likes

Re: Can You Survive On A 10,000 Weekly Pay? by Nemesis0147(m): 8:33pm On Feb 19, 2023
Treassured:

I support this.

It doesn't make any sense giving a whole semester stipend to a Teenager at once.

The money should be sent In bits either Weekly/Monthly.

I usually send my little cousin her Stipend monthly.
oh okay
Thanks
Re: Can You Survive On A 10,000 Weekly Pay? by Nazgul: 9:24pm On Feb 19, 2023
Nemesis0147:
The only thing he needs to buy if he wants to cook is fish or meat…every other things are gotten in bulk….moreover to get 30k then easy pass than now oh

The fish or meat you're taking about would run into thousands, and when you add money for gas to it, you understand my view more clearer.

And he's living in a lodge isn't it? In that lodge, he'll pay for electricity of not less than N2,500 per month...and then there are reoccurring expenses he can't avoid like toothpaste, bathing soap, toilet paper, detergents, cream, barbing of hair, recharge card, data, some lodges in the east don't have water so he'll have to buy water...etc.

This is minus lecturers materials he'll keep photocopying from time to time.

The truth is 25k per month cannot sustain a student. Cos as long as you're within those 4 walls of the university, you'll keep spending money. Unless he's going to school from home and the 25k is just for him to flex.

13 Likes

Re: Can You Survive On A 10,000 Weekly Pay? by Mancala: 10:49pm On Feb 19, 2023
Nemesis0147:

I am interested in this topic because I am also trying to figure something similar out. My advice is this. Sit down with him and do a proper budget. How does he currently spend the 100k he gets vs what are your expectations on how he should be spending it? Everybody is different. Some people can manage 2k a week while 50k will not be enough for some. No be everybody get same head. You know your brother better than anybody here, how he was raised as the youngest child … pampered?. For example, you can’t expect someone who was chauffeured to secondary school daily to start jumping bus or okada in university without an adjustment process and making the expectations clear. In addition, most teenagers need some tutoring in financial management. Sit down with him and do a realistic budget and tell him to adjust accordingly to what you guys can afford. Giving him his allowance monthly vs for the full semester is also a good idea. This will serve as training for real life. Finally, don’t be annoyed that he calls his Mother for help. No be him mama born am? She is responsible for him not you O. You are just helping out. As for providing foodstuff, I can tell you that when I was in uni, foodstuff did not help me most of the time. It was not always convenient for me to cook and most times, I was mostly away from the hostel the entire day and needed to spend money to feed somehow. In addition, that foodstuff na wahala. Your friends no go allow how you rest with borrow borrow. Even when you cook self, food that should last one week go finish in one day.

6 Likes

Re: Can You Survive On A 10,000 Weekly Pay? by Coldplay007(f): 3:32am On Feb 20, 2023
Nemesis0147:
who be this?
Did you read where I said we buy him foodstuffs and text books apart from the 100k?

How much do you earn in a month?

Lol.. I earn very very well..
Is he really your blood brother or a step brother? Cos it seems the reason you came online is to justify your poor treatment of the guy..

If he was your blood brother and you were collecting 30k per month in 2017, you will know what to do and won't need to bring this online..

1 Like

Re: Can You Survive On A 10,000 Weekly Pay? by Gupoturate: 1:40pm On Feb 21, 2023
Re: Can You Survive On A 10,000 Weekly Pay? by Holluwhakemmy(f): 1:40pm On Feb 21, 2023
Yes. Equivalent of what I earn in a month
Re: Can You Survive On A 10,000 Weekly Pay? by Bestymary: 1:41pm On Feb 21, 2023
Nemesis0147:
Good morning fams,

Hope you guys are good?
What prompted me to ask this question is because our last born…during my days in school,we survived on a 30k in Esut and this was allowance apart from foodstuffs and textbooks and this was just 2016.
But our last born (brother) who is still in 100 level can’t survive with 100k for a semester….
He just called our mother that he is out of cash…dy no born am well to call me sha…
me and my immediate young brother want to place him on a weekly pay instead of monthly/semester…..what do you guys think?
is very much now, how much did u think there are paying me right now
Re: Can You Survive On A 10,000 Weekly Pay? by VenExchangee: 1:41pm On Feb 21, 2023
Prechgold1180:
Back then and now Nur be same thing

Gave my gf 20k to make food

Wetyn she Dey use cook like two different soups before nur even reach for one

Pos charge comot like 2k

Prices for food item don over high

Nah God hand everybody Dey now
Na burial food?
18k no reach make soup?

4 Likes

Re: Can You Survive On A 10,000 Weekly Pay? by EmekaBlue(m): 1:42pm On Feb 21, 2023
Minus Transport is Ok
Re: Can You Survive On A 10,000 Weekly Pay? by mayorkent(m): 1:42pm On Feb 21, 2023
Be giving him monthly allowance ,
Re: Can You Survive On A 10,000 Weekly Pay? by faceLAGOS: 1:44pm On Feb 21, 2023
Ni66a be living like OBO on campus.

It’s sweet when you have someone bankrolling you.

grin

6 Likes

Re: Can You Survive On A 10,000 Weekly Pay? by EmekaBlue(m): 1:44pm On Feb 21, 2023
Treassured:

I duplicated mine to N450 Million.

I am Worth over N700 Million today.

The Power of Savings and Discipline can not be over emphasized.
700million? R u sure oga? How can we confirm this

1 Like

Re: Can You Survive On A 10,000 Weekly Pay? by aylive02(m): 1:44pm On Feb 21, 2023
Nice2023:
Your brother is going to be a dangerous spender if u guys don't manage him very well.

During my schools days,I made it a point of duty to to eat twice a day. I will take tea and cabin biscuits in the morning for lectures while I eat strong fufu in the afternoon and a enough water after wards.

At the end of my 5years course,I saved some good money after graduation.

See,that money I saved then,was what I used to invest and after a long years...I have duplicated it to 88million naira today.

I hate to see people who usually eat their future upfront. It is not always rosy after graduation.

Tell ur brother not to live big on campus,tomorrow will demystify all his actions.

The money is even too much for such a young man like him.
. God bless you bro

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Can You Survive On A 10,000 Weekly Pay? by Nato008(m): 1:46pm On Feb 21, 2023
Omihanifa:

Don't forget the OP said 100k for a semester which could either be 3 or 4 months
But OP said he takes foodstuffs from home, so what exactly is he using the money to do unless he is cohabitating Sha nah cause me during service buying foodstuffs and doing everything still saved....talk more of a student...en no go pass woman Sha..check am well

4 Likes

Re: Can You Survive On A 10,000 Weekly Pay? by DesChyko: 1:46pm On Feb 21, 2023
See ehn, this country, just sha dey get something steady. Even if nah 10k, you will find a way.

I'm just coming back from a distance I usually use 200-300 to cover on bike. That would be between 400 - 600 to and fro. I walked to the place and walked back under the sun because of cashless.

4 Likes

Re: Can You Survive On A 10,000 Weekly Pay? by superCleanworks(m): 1:46pm On Feb 21, 2023
Nemesis0147:

He don dey pay dues
he don dey buy drugs
He don dey buy cloth & pay rent for babes.

either way you guys are ACTIVELY funding his downfall.

you guys need to humble him and send 5k for a whole month then ignore him so he can be JOLTED back to reality.

2 Likes

Re: Can You Survive On A 10,000 Weekly Pay? by Teeroyzimma: 1:46pm On Feb 21, 2023
Treassured:

rich people dey nairaland

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Can You Survive On A 10,000 Weekly Pay? by Ireportlive: 1:46pm On Feb 21, 2023
He is a kid with no financial discipline... Place him on 10k weekly
Re: Can You Survive On A 10,000 Weekly Pay? by WHUNMMI(m): 1:47pm On Feb 21, 2023
Request your brother's account statement like the bank's usual practice for just about 3 months. All that you seek shall ye find therein.... ..!!! especially, November/December 2022 to probably Jan ending or early February this year. Don't be shocked when you see the shock there...

4 Likes

Re: Can You Survive On A 10,000 Weekly Pay? by brain54(m): 1:47pm On Feb 21, 2023
Your brother sabi flex sha…
Re: Can You Survive On A 10,000 Weekly Pay? by highchief1: 1:48pm On Feb 21, 2023
Treassured:

u don go do yahoo come here Dey form motivational speaker.bros shift

1 Like

Re: Can You Survive On A 10,000 Weekly Pay? by princeade86(m): 1:48pm On Feb 21, 2023
Yea
Re: Can You Survive On A 10,000 Weekly Pay? by Ignyte(m): 1:48pm On Feb 21, 2023
When I was in 100 level (Mostly first semester )it was 15k a week, I went to Private Uni sha so the spending was quite somehow. At some point it became 20k till anytime it finishes sometimes na twice a week my mama dey send 20k. By the time wey I get babe sef na like 100 dem start send me weekly.

At some point, I started working on my own so I stopped calling home for money.

Make una minimize wetin una dey give am, promote the hustling spirit small. Let him work and maybe you people will not need to send so much anymore.
Re: Can You Survive On A 10,000 Weekly Pay? by NL1960: 1:48pm On Feb 21, 2023
Nemesis0147:
we want to be doing it weekly stuff
Like 10k every week

Do weekly allowance. Agree on an amount and do weekly. There is the tendency for a student to over spend if given money for the semester or even given for a month especially for a 100L student. A 100L student is still not very mature to manage money.
Re: Can You Survive On A 10,000 Weekly Pay? by Timoleon(m): 1:49pm On Feb 21, 2023
Your brother Dey play sports bet... including virtual!
Nemesis0147:
Good morning fams,

Hope you guys are good?

3 Likes

Re: Can You Survive On A 10,000 Weekly Pay? by mokoh(m): 1:51pm On Feb 21, 2023
See make Una check well he they pay school fees for one babe..wetin student they use 100k do for one semester wen he nor they buy food stuffs,textbook only transport to go school..nothing he go tell me I go tell am to him face,Una they train person wen they train person for school

2 Likes

Re: Can You Survive On A 10,000 Weekly Pay? by Otunana: 1:52pm On Feb 21, 2023
Nice2023:
Your brother is going to be a dangerous spender if u guys don't manage him very well.

During my schools days,I made it a point of duty to to eat twice a day. I will take tea and cabin biscuits in the morning for lectures while I eat strong fufu in the afternoon and a enough water after wards.

At the end of my 5years course,I saved some good money after graduation.

See,that money I saved then,was what I used to invest and after a long years...I have duplicated it to 88million naira today.

I hate to see people who usually eat their future upfront. It is not always rosy after graduation.

Tell ur brother not to live big on campus,tomorrow will demystify all his actions.

The money is even too much for such a young man like him.

How did you duplicate it…kindly share ideas please

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Lamentations Of A Nigerian!!! / Reasons Kids Are Tiny Drunk Adults / Water Sacrifice

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.