Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,231 members, 7,818,781 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 02:47 AM

When Did Your Dad Stopped Giving You Money? - Family (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / When Did Your Dad Stopped Giving You Money? (9264 Views)

When Did You Stop Bed Wetting? / Please What Would You Do If Your Dad Refuses To Allow Yo To Change Church / Did Your Marriage Start With "Will You Marry Me" Or "Oga, I Don Miss My Period"? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: When Did Your Dad Stopped Giving You Money? by 27naira(m): 11:41am On Sep 14, 2011
cecegorz:

Beautiful question!
I actually stopped asking for money the day I left for NYSC. It was a deliberate personal decision from me, nobody advised me anything.
I figured out that i needed to be a man and help to train others; nephews and nieces, having been trained by my elder brothers. So i told my self that even after NYSC, i am NOT going back to 'our' house! Rather, i need to get 'MY' house.
With that mind set, i set my face like a flint. During NYSC, apart from my primary assignment, I set up Computer training centre with a fellow Corp member and we were making some tidy sums to keep body and soul together.
After NYSC i moved in with a friend (squatting!) YES! I knew i needed to put my self under that pressure to get a house for myself because going back to 'our' house will give me a kind of relaxed security.
Then, i made a vow to God (like Jacob, on his way to be a man) that once i get my first job, i will give him the first salary! Believe me there was no aptitude test that was done that period that i did nor write (invited or not!) i kept pushing till i got the first job that was not so paying, but gave me opportunity to learn a lot, then boom! the real deal came, and today, i can only be grateful to God for taking that decision!

Very inpiring. wink
Re: When Did Your Dad Stopped Giving You Money? by 27naira(m): 11:45am On Sep 14, 2011
kodewrita:

Its a give and take thing.

Started freelancing immediately after school before NYSC(8wks).

I got money all the way through NYSC (in spite of the fact that the NYSC salary I got was equivalent to OND salaries in some banks then + Free transport both ways). Left youth service with a few hundred thousands which I promptly lost in the first stock market crash (note to self: buy land next time big money lands).

Started work immediately with a huge paycheck and all cash from Dad ceased.

I now send gifts home and fund family projects though My dad still likes doing stuff for me( like buying books i might like or flight tickets to convince me not to take road trips). I allow it because it makes them feel good to do so. Besides, this life is short and its better we bond and enjoy each other while blood still runs.

But essentially, I got cash until end of NYSC.

Nice one bro. I love the bolded
Re: When Did Your Dad Stopped Giving You Money? by yuzedo: 12:05pm On Sep 14, 2011
Bia, 27naira, did u open this thread to feel good about urself and ur "independence" from ur dad I dunno if its to keep the thread going but some of ur comments are rankling, extremely judgemental and plain disgusting! To each his own, I dunno who died and made u judge over who is spoilt or not because they still get money off their parent(s). . No vex, put a sock in it! Haba! U asked people to answer to ur thread and then ur turning around to castigate them if they answer honestly but don't meet up to ur standard. . Bet why utunu undecided angry
. . And I dunno why people are still answering you sef, being defensive and all, Bah!
P.s. If my papa gimme money, I go soooo collect, even N1000, abi I get 2nd papa somewhere? At least I've been dropping money for him while I was serving and even as a "jobless graduate" now, I still dey find am something whenever I come into small cash now and again. Tank you! wink
Re: When Did Your Dad Stopped Giving You Money? by Okijajuju1(m): 12:42pm On Sep 14, 2011
@ 27Naira:: I wont even front that I wasn't spoiled as a kid cos I got everything I needed to grow up, but above all, I got the requisite training in how to make and appreciate the value of money, Graduated in 2008, served and went abroad (not for a masters), There I worked manial jobs as a labouerer, flipped burgers and fries in mac donalds and paid my bills and rent, Every now and again, my Parents did send me a few bucks but not like every month o, I got my Job in Nigeria from there and flew back home last christmas, Started working in March and I think I'm fairly cocky cos I'm making good pay and can afford everything that my peers can't, But that not withstanding, I think its fair to say I have earned my stripes and if my parents can still house and feed me, while I save money for my future why not, I have built up a good account balance over time and since I don't pay that many bills I'm on course, If I find a girl and decide to settle down, even after the wedding cost and all, I'd still have enough to keep going,
I resPect those who have made it on their own oars but that doesn't make my hussle any less than it is,

1 Like

Re: When Did Your Dad Stopped Giving You Money? by mallorca(m): 1:01pm On Sep 14, 2011
not even my dad alone, i neva recived money from anybody in my life
Re: When Did Your Dad Stopped Giving You Money? by 27naira(m): 1:27pm On Sep 14, 2011
yuzedo:

Bia, 27naira, did u open this thread to feel good about urself and your "independence" from your dad I dunno if its to keep the thread going but some of your comments are rankling, extremely judgemental and plain disgusting! To each his own, I dunno who died and made u judge over who is spoilt or not because they still get money off their parent(s). . No vex, put a sock in it! Haba! U asked people to answer to your thread and then your turning around to castigate them if they answer honestly but don't meet up to your standard. . Bet why utunu undecided angry
. . And I dunno why people are still answering you sef, being defensive and all, Bah!
P.s. If my papa gimme money, I go soooo collect, even N1000, abi I get 2nd papa somewhere? At least I've been dropping money for him while I was serving and even as a "jobless graduate" now, I still dey find am something whenever I come into small cash now and again. Tank you! wink

Nna na watin? we no dey quarel nah!
Sorry if i appeared judgemental abeg
Re: When Did Your Dad Stopped Giving You Money? by osajojo(m): 1:39pm On Sep 14, 2011
My parents always gave me everything I needed but when I was 17 I broke out started fending for my self just to earn my own money. My parents discouraged me and insisted I faced school but I refused. Now am 23 I own my own company and am done with school. But sometimes I contact them for help and they are always there. When u get support from parents its actually like encouragement. In response to the question I wud continue to help my kids as far as I can. The same I expect from every parent. Thinking u teaching them something but making life hard for them is fake. Success is for everyone who desires it whether with such lessons or not.
Re: When Did Your Dad Stopped Giving You Money? by Jarus(m): 3:21pm On Sep 14, 2011
with the exception of those in the Diaspora, big men children that had the job on a platter of Gold and those that got lucky to be retained after NYSC, i think the rest of you are bloody liars,

This defeatist mentality annoys me. Truth is more than 50% of people that work in organized private sector got the job not because they are children of big men, but on merit. This thinking is too pervasive in Nigeria, that you can't get a job unless you're connected, and it annoys me.
Re: When Did Your Dad Stopped Giving You Money? by Okijajuju1(m): 3:45pm On Sep 14, 2011
Jarus:

This defeatist mentality annoys me. Truth is more than 50% of people that work in organized private sector got the job not because they are children of big men, but on merit. This thinking is too pervasive in Nigeria, that you can't get a job unless you're connected, and it annoys me.

Don't mind em, As its the 'rich kids' fault that they aint connected,

This is life cuz, some of us have it easy, others have to fight for a place so they in turn can make it easy for their offsprings,

If the rich kid can do the job and has the added benefit of having or knowing someone on the inside, then let him/her have the job, No apologies

1 Like

Re: When Did Your Dad Stopped Giving You Money? by meetgaya: 3:50pm On Sep 14, 2011
they stop gvn me money the day lift for NYSC.
Re: When Did Your Dad Stopped Giving You Money? by ajekpaks(m): 3:59pm On Sep 14, 2011
When he died, I was 8years then, , , cry cry

1 Like

Re: When Did Your Dad Stopped Giving You Money? by Zaynee63: 4:01pm On Sep 14, 2011
smiley, hmmm, they stopped giving me stipend when I left for NYSC and believe you me, I was soo effn puzzled like "what the f**k shocked cuz I had a monthly allawee that I always planned everything on. Anyways, it didn't make me fight them. Rather it fired me up to "grow up" and here I am today cheesy, I'm loving my independence 2 years on cool
Re: When Did Your Dad Stopped Giving You Money? by Konjour(m): 4:12pm On Sep 14, 2011
He still has my account details,and drops a few quid often,even though i clearly told him not to cuz I earned my first salary in Indian Rupees from

the Government at the age of 19 years,2 months,and 3 weeks,and i'v been superbly self-sufficient since then. cool
Re: When Did Your Dad Stopped Giving You Money? by cecegorz(m): 4:26pm On Sep 14, 2011
Okija_juju:

@ 27Naira:: I wont even front that I wasn't spoiled as a kid cos I got everything I needed to grow up, but above all, I got the requisite training in how to make and appreciate the value of money,  Graduated in 2008, served and went abroad (not for a masters),  There I worked manial jobs as a labouerer, flipped burgers and fries in mac donalds and paid my bills and rent,  Every now and again, my Parents did send me a few bucks but not like every month o,  I got my Job in Nigeria from there and flew back home last christmas,  Started working in March and I think I'm fairly cocky cos I'm making good pay and can afford everything that my peers can't,  But that not withstanding, I think its fair to say I have earned my stripes and if my parents can still house and feed me, while I save money for my future why not,  I have built up a good account balance over time and since I don't pay that many bills I'm on course,  If I find a girl and decide to settle down, even after the wedding cost and all, I'd still have enough to keep going,
I resPect those who have made it on their own oars but that doesn't make my hussle any less than it is,  
For real man, if i was living in my father's house (fully owned), i am not sure i would have taken that decision to move out. If your father has got things straightened out, really you might decide to stay back and save some bills for something else.

Jarus:

Terrible mindset!
I remember vividly, when i traveled all the way from Lag to Enugu to write First Atlantic Bank test then, one dude sitting beside me started lamenting that it was just a waste of time, that they've already taken the names of those that will pass!!! Men, i told the guy plainly that nobody can stop me from passing, that even if it's only one person that they need, it's got to be me!
And truly, i was on my way back to Lag when i got SMS congratulating me for passing. ( I didn't end up with them, though)

Seriously, people should learn to dump these stinking thinking and put a little faith in themselves and God! Merit still pays, even in Nigeria today!
Re: When Did Your Dad Stopped Giving You Money? by remoranger(m): 4:26pm On Sep 14, 2011
@jarus and okija. u guys seem to be missing the point. i wonder how u guys respond to the questions in exams?. or hopefully u guys are not students. nobody is beefing rich kids in my post. read it again. there is nothing bad in connection. in jand and yankee. it is called networking.

I get most of my major contracts from connection, oops. networking smiley

i am just saying this whole bloody thread is unrealistic from the matters on ground especially to all those saying 18 and NYSC. Pull your heads from the clouds and look around the country, hell naw, look just down the streets, at what age do people graduate sef,

this thread would have been more fitting for an American forum.

I will keep praying for your comprehension and Verbal reasoning skills
Re: When Did Your Dad Stopped Giving You Money? by lepasharon(f): 4:28pm On Sep 14, 2011
does living in your parents house still count as them ''giving you money''
Re: When Did Your Dad Stopped Giving You Money? by Memunah(f): 4:34pm On Sep 14, 2011
still in school,so still on their pay roll
Re: When Did Your Dad Stopped Giving You Money? by olajide8(m): 5:25pm On Sep 14, 2011
Lucky you he had finished school unfortunate her she had to get it some how well for me immediately after student indigene crisis my old woman took over and that was 1998 so school stuff my old woman and I guess that's why we guys luv our mothers they always come to our aid
Re: When Did Your Dad Stopped Giving You Money? by klear(f): 5:29pm On Sep 14, 2011
My dad? Can't remember him doin dat, bt my mom did  kiss & my elder sis did. Now I earn my own money & its no wonder my mom gets spoiled by me smiley
Re: When Did Your Dad Stopped Giving You Money? by Exponental(m): 5:43pm On Sep 14, 2011
@Boyloaf n 27naira: being in schl sponsored by parent or somelse doesnt mean one shldnt hussle.
-----------My savings did it, though nice ride with little pay.----------
Re: When Did Your Dad Stopped Giving You Money? by Orikinla(m): 6:36pm On Sep 14, 2011
At 20. I had early success, because I was already working at the age of 20 in the early 1980s and making N400 monthly as a TV script writer and Puppeteer for NTA Channel 10 in Lagos.
Re: When Did Your Dad Stopped Giving You Money? by 2dmax(m): 6:53pm On Sep 14, 2011
12. I was in JSS 1 in FGCK. From 15, i have been fending for my whole family ie mum, dad, 6 siblings, 7 half sibling till i posted. And that was like 15 1/2 yrs ago.
Re: When Did Your Dad Stopped Giving You Money? by Nobody: 8:11pm On Sep 14, 2011
nysc
Re: When Did Your Dad Stopped Giving You Money? by uju2: 10:09pm On Sep 14, 2011
My Dad 'stopped giving me money' after NYSC because thats when he stopped giving my brothers. But I'm a daddy's girl and he doesnt want me to follow men for the things I want so sometimes I get a little bonus, I always find money 'appears' in my account just when I mention I need a bag or a holiday or I'm having car problems grin
Re: When Did Your Dad Stopped Giving You Money? by Nobody: 11:18pm On Sep 14, 2011
Re: When Did Your Dad Stopped Giving You Money? by dabrake(m): 4:21am On Sep 15, 2011
Feb. 4, 2007. That wuz during ma visiting day back in high skul. And he passed on exactly 7days later
Re: When Did Your Dad Stopped Giving You Money? by adconline(m): 9:08am On Sep 15, 2011
My daddy stopped giving me money when I was little, my mum's  purse became a conduit for survival and my siblings helped me thru secondary school. Yes, it was last year that elder brother told me that he had been paying more for my boarding school and other expenses than what he had been paying for my elder sister's  higher education back then. I  later got 2 jobs when I was in school and  started bringing home some goodies and ever since then, I have not looked back. Just remembered all the money I stole from my mum's purse,it was not an "investment" gone awry, but I'm paying back a million-fold,  it never ends MUM! It's a work in progress
Re: When Did Your Dad Stopped Giving You Money? by WhyAWhy(m): 4:28pm On Sep 16, 2011
remoranger:

@jarus and okija. u guys seem to be missing the point. i wonder how u guys respond to the questions in exams?. or hopefully u guys are not students. nobody is beefing rich kids in my post. read it again. there is nothing bad in connection. in jand and yankee. it is called networking.

I get most of my major contracts from connection, oops. networking smiley

i am just saying this whole bloody thread is unrealistic from the matters on ground especially to all those saying 18 and NYSC. Pull your heads from the clouds and look around the country, hell naw, look just down the streets, at what age do people graduate sef,

this thread would have been more fitting for an American forum.

I will keep praying for your comprehension and Verbal reasoning skills
smh cheesy cheesy
Re: When Did Your Dad Stopped Giving You Money? by Daresh(f): 5:30pm On Apr 03, 2012
THe last time my Daddy gave me money for personal use was when I went to NYSC camp. Since then its On Your Own.
Re: When Did Your Dad Stopped Giving You Money? by rule(m): 10:07pm On Apr 04, 2012
My dad still give me money till date when ever he feels like ,though am married with a well paid job.
Re: When Did Your Dad Stopped Giving You Money? by Excelboi(m): 11:50pm On Apr 04, 2012
Me wey still dey suck breast na him i go dey fend for myself? Biko,am on monthly pocket salary from my father and dat is my only source of income.
Re: When Did Your Dad Stopped Giving You Money? by inuyasha01(m): 6:43pm On Oct 01, 2013
Excelboi: Me wey still dey suck breast na him i go dey fend for myself? Biko,am on monthly pocket salary from my father and dat is my only source of income.

lipsrsealed

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

LETTER TO NIGERIAN PARENTS / Depressed Wife Needs Your Urgent Advice. / What Is The Right Punishment For A Hubby Who Refuses To Assist In House Chores?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.