Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,215 members, 7,818,729 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 11:12 PM

When Did Your Dad Stopped Giving You Money? - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / When Did Your Dad Stopped Giving You Money? (9263 Views)

When Did You Stop Bed Wetting? / Please What Would You Do If Your Dad Refuses To Allow Yo To Change Church / Did Your Marriage Start With "Will You Marry Me" Or "Oga, I Don Miss My Period"? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: When Did Your Dad Stopped Giving You Money? by Nobody: 7:47am On Sep 14, 2011
i lost my Dad at age 13, and mum was in d village doin petty tradin. I am lucky to hav elder ones who supported me wit sch fees all tru sec. Sch and uni. I stopped gettin financial help frm them immediately after uni bak in 2009. Now i send money to mum and also assist any of my siblings that needs my help financially. Still hopin that tins turn out really good with time! God bless my siblings!!!!!

2 Likes

Re: When Did Your Dad Stopped Giving You Money? by Exponental(m): 7:51am On Sep 14, 2011
500L (final yr)- wen he noticed I had a car @ school.

1 Like

Re: When Did Your Dad Stopped Giving You Money? by Nobody: 7:58am On Sep 14, 2011
Exponental:

bros nor vex, but how u take buy car for sch?
Re: When Did Your Dad Stopped Giving You Money? by 27naira(m): 8:01am On Sep 14, 2011
buzcenter:

when i start giving other money , that is when i stop collecting from my parent,the day you stop collecting money from your parent you become Real man

Bros bros! smiley

abeg stop being idealistic. Tell us when you stopped giving "list" to your dad wink
Re: When Did Your Dad Stopped Giving You Money? by 27naira(m): 8:02am On Sep 14, 2011
Exponental:

Chineke!! shocked shocked

you must have been an oppressor back then. wink
Re: When Did Your Dad Stopped Giving You Money? by 27naira(m): 8:04am On Sep 14, 2011
Boyloaf:

i lost my Dad at age 13, and mum was in d village doin petty tradin. I am lucky to hav elder ones who supported me wit sch fees all tru sec. Sch and uni. I stopped gettin financial help frm them immediately after uni bak in 2009. Now i send money to mum and also assist any of my siblings that needs my help financially. Still hopin that tins turn out really good with time! God bless my siblings!!!!!

Thats touching. Nice thing your siblings were able to see you through.
Re: When Did Your Dad Stopped Giving You Money? by 27naira(m): 8:04am On Sep 14, 2011
Boyloaf:

bros nor vex, but how u take buy car for sch?

My broda me sef wan ask the same question
Re: When Did Your Dad Stopped Giving You Money? by 27naira(m): 8:06am On Sep 14, 2011
Syenite:

My parents washed their hands off me financialy when I left the house for NYSC.

Then the Federal allowee was N6,500 and the state Govt paid N5,500. I was running two coaching classes: one was paying me N2,000/month and the other N4,000/month.My total monthly take home then was N18,000. I was a bigger boy among my fellow corpers then cos N18,000 in year 2004 was still good money.

I left NYSC with about N80,000 in my account. That was the money I lived on while searching for job: browsing, buying of tuesday Guardian, attending aptitude tests and interviews, printing of CVs and photocopying my credentials, making phone calls to people I believed could connect me with jobs etc.

I spent the last Kobo from it just a day before I resumed my first Job. This made my elder brother to support me with transport fare for the 1st month I worked before collecting salary.This was a contract job and then lasted only 1month.I was paid -off with N20,000 with several uncertainties in my mind about my lively-hood for the next weeks and months.

The next day after being paid-off by the bank i got an interview call by an oil servicing firm.I got the Job and resumed exactly 1month after I left the Bank. That was when I started supporting my parents till date.

Adventures of Sayenite! cheesy This will make a good novel!
Re: When Did Your Dad Stopped Giving You Money? by 27naira(m): 8:08am On Sep 14, 2011
BlueDiva:

My dad still gives me money for fuel anytime i go and visit him.
I have a decent job, a husband and kids but he does it out of love, i guess.

As for me i would give my kids money until they can get a decent job.
Heck, i might even support them still if the job is not a high paying one.

Thats a nice one. Your dad is the man (it is obvious your dad is "having"wink
Normally, i should have expected you to say "c'mon dad, keep the money. I can take care of myself" cheesy
no mind me
Re: When Did Your Dad Stopped Giving You Money? by Diligence: 8:22am On Sep 14, 2011
@ 18 years, it's clear that focus was directed more at the much younger ones - then I started planning towards adulthood!
Re: When Did Your Dad Stopped Giving You Money? by ideycome: 8:25am On Sep 14, 2011
I stopped the day i came back from NYSC programme.
Re: When Did Your Dad Stopped Giving You Money? by norrisman: 8:31am On Sep 14, 2011
My dad never stopped per say. I made the decision to stop collecting money from him in 2004. I went home in 2007 with my wife and child and my dad brought N50,000 to give to me to spend. I refused it politely and told him I had some naira on me. And even till this date, driving a Merc, with 2 kids and well over 30, my dad still asks me if I need any financial assistance whenever he calls me.

1 Like

Re: When Did Your Dad Stopped Giving You Money? by Tolulop001(f): 8:32am On Sep 14, 2011
the day i finished school was the end. pata pata.
Re: When Did Your Dad Stopped Giving You Money? by Nobody: 8:45am On Sep 14, 2011
liking this thread. And in line with most people was after NYSC when i got my first job. Lost it during the great banking Tsunami and Pops and family were there to support but i'm back on my feet now, lots of lessons learnt.

But will definitely see to it my kids are up and running starting from their teens. Might get them part time jobs, encourage entrepreneurial growth in them or employ them in some capacity. We must end 30 being the new 18 in Naija.

1 Like

Re: When Did Your Dad Stopped Giving You Money? by WhyAWhy(m): 8:46am On Sep 14, 2011
Before I finished my NYSC, my father told me he had set money aside (N6million) for my post graduate studies in U.K, I didn't feel so good that I was still depending on him though he never complained, luckily for me, I got a scholarship for my masters and that was it for me.
Re: When Did Your Dad Stopped Giving You Money? by Jarus(m): 8:50am On Sep 14, 2011
During NYSC.
Re: When Did Your Dad Stopped Giving You Money? by Okijajuju1(m): 8:58am On Sep 14, 2011
My daddy just renewed my Blackberry subscription, #Thanks Daddy!!

My Dad never stopped giving me money, Infact, I still live at home with my parents, still drive their car, eat their food and drink their wine, Does that make me a Scrub?! Fu(k no!!

My dad has always known me to be prudent with money. I know the value of money and I aint lazy!! I do have a job, and a salary of a little over half a million Naira after taxes, Can I move out and get my own place? YES!! Can I afford to buy my own car?! Yess!! SO why are my still mooching off of my parents?! Because I can! Would you rather have me move out and pay rent of 1.5million Naira a year when I have a "HOUSE" with my own room, palour, toilet and bathroom and a kitchen ensuite for free? I call that foolishness,

I just contributed to paying my sisters school fees in Canada, paid the fees of both my youngest siblings and it felt really good. Now I can walk up to my dad and say "Dad can I get like 50,000 from you?" His answer is gonna be either I dont have that kind of money right now, or take!! Thats because, he knows I can afford it and knows that i appreciate and understand what it means to make money, save and spend wisely,

No need for all that Nollywood drama of "My pikin, you need to go and hussle and learn to be a man" by throwing you out unto the streets or depriving you of money. Such measures are only necessary if the person has been spoilt silly as a child and isnt prudent with money or has no drive to make money, Infact, when I graduated secondary school at the age of 16, my dad gave me a car for my birthday, and took it back when I entered first year of the university,

##Wait, I need to go get more money from my mum!!!
Re: When Did Your Dad Stopped Giving You Money? by sirp2007: 9:06am On Sep 14, 2011
Different stroke for different folks,
But if l may ask,when did u start giving ur dad money?
Re: When Did Your Dad Stopped Giving You Money? by Okijajuju1(m): 9:16am On Sep 14, 2011
I'd hate to say I started giving my Dad money because, he is so rich he dosent need anybodys help, But I started pulling my own weight around the house in March this year when I got my current Job, Now My Dad can comfortably on a Sunday call me and say I need 200,000 and trusts me to deliver.
Re: When Did Your Dad Stopped Giving You Money? by remoranger(m): 9:58am On Sep 14, 2011
with the exception of those in the Diaspora, big men children that had the job on a platter of Gold and those that got lucky to be retained after NYSC, i think the rest of you are bloody liars,

nor be the same naija we dey? haba. abi d state i dey na under achieving state. in my street alone i cant count how many thirty something year old still dey dia papa house. some even marry sef put. i wont go judgemental on them cos i know say naija hard, no job.

i sure say if post come out say any nigerian that as never involved in corruption should identify themselves. everybody for nairaland go post. and for some ladies, moving into your aristo provided loft doesn't count, well, it kinda counts, i bet it requires superb acting skills. naija ppl sha,  grin
Re: When Did Your Dad Stopped Giving You Money? by Image123(m): 10:05am On Sep 14, 2011
Actually, the standard should be "A good man leaves an inheritance for his children's children." (Proverbs 13:22a). Isaac, David, Jesus, Timothy were all under their parent's guidance for a rather long while. It's unfortunate that our culture and other excuses like economy place us vice versa. In our case today, most parent are dependent and demanding on the children.
Re: When Did Your Dad Stopped Giving You Money? by coolestboy(m): 10:07am On Sep 14, 2011
My dad stil gives me cash, even my mum. but as a guy i stil need to hustle and get more becos i can neva expect everything, i mean everything from him. boxers, brush, unders, galfrnd allowee, etc, should be hustle for by myself. Dats a guy for u. but my sister,everything considered to be necessary not mandatory will be given to her, but i neva mind

1 Like 1 Share

Re: When Did Your Dad Stopped Giving You Money? by deeflamez(m): 10:59am On Sep 14, 2011
Wow i feel so inspired by the comments so far.

Ok me oh,i grew up with my mom,she had a decent job but i understood all wasnt rosy so as a child i didnt really grow up with toys and all those other things children had, not even games. But i took interest in reading until i read practically anything i came across including my mom's Law Bokks and Journals no matter how boring.
Attended a boarding Primary and Secondary School, then my father showed up from nowhere and sent me to a Private University. I managed what my mom gave me until my 3rd year when i lost my mom and kid brother in an fatal accident as an only survivor,by then my final year tuition had already been paid. I just resumed school, graduated and with the help of a little business on the side proceeded to NYSC, currently serving though. As for my dad, based in UK, married with kids still insists that he has done all he owes me and that's EDUCATION #SHIKENA
Re: When Did Your Dad Stopped Giving You Money? by 27naira(m): 11:03am On Sep 14, 2011
deeflamez:

Wow i feel so inspired by the comments so far.

Ok me oh,i grew up with my mom,she had a decent job but i understood all wasnt rosy so as a child i didnt really grow up with toys and all those other things children had, not even games. But i took interest in reading until i read practically anything i came across including my mom's Law Bokks and Journals no matter how boring.
Attended a boarding Primary and Secondary School, then my father showed up from nowhere and sent me to a Private University. I managed what my mom gave me until my 3rd year when i lost my mom and kid brother in an fatal accident as an only survivor,by then my final year tuition had already been paid. I just resumed school, graduated and with the help of a little business on the side proceeded to NYSC, currently serving though. As for my dad, based in UK, married with kids still insists that he has done all he owes me and that's EDUCATION #SHIKENA
Very inspiring and yet sorrowful.

Believe me, my dad used to say that all he owes me and my siblings is "education" nothing else. I mean just Bsc. grin
I literally trained myself through masters abroad.
I like your post
Re: When Did Your Dad Stopped Giving You Money? by 27naira(m): 11:04am On Sep 14, 2011
coolestboy:

My dad stil gives me cash, even my mum. but as a guy i stil need to hustle and get more becos i can neva expect everything, i mean everything from him. boxers, brush, unders, galfrnd allowee, etc, should be hustle for by myself. Dats a guy for u. but my sister,everything considered to be necessary not mandatory will be given to her, but i neva mind

daddy's boy wink. I believe that you're still in school. So, na so e suppose be
Re: When Did Your Dad Stopped Giving You Money? by 27naira(m): 11:05am On Sep 14, 2011
Image123:

Actually, the standard should be "A good man leaves an inheritance for his children's children." (Proverbs 13:22a). Isaac, David, Jesus, Timothy were all under their parent's guidance for a rather long while. It's unfortunate that our culture and other excuses like economy place us vice versa. In our case today, most parent are dependent and demanding on the children.

LMAO grin

abeg no go there. This is Nigeria not Israel
Re: When Did Your Dad Stopped Giving You Money? by TeeJay6(m): 11:09am On Sep 14, 2011
Nice thread, my dad still gives me cash/gifts sometimes he does it in a way I find it hard to refuse, maybe because we are close. I dont rely on him in any way financially but everytime we meet up or he is in town he sort of finds a way to drop something even though he knows I don't need it.

Personally, this is a cultural thing, people in the western world more or less cut the strings once the child finishes secondary school, for uni the child would have to get a loan and pay his/her way through. For naija, up to MSc levels at least most parents see it as their responsibility
Re: When Did Your Dad Stopped Giving You Money? by 27naira(m): 11:10am On Sep 14, 2011
Okija_juju:

My daddy just renewed my Blackberry subscription, #Thanks Daddy!!

My Dad never stopped giving me money, Infact, I still live at home with my parents, still drive their car, eat their food and drink their wine, Does that make me a Scrub?! Fu(k no!!

My dad has always known me to be prudent with money. I know the value of money and I aint lazy!! I do have a job, and a salary of a little over half a million Naira after taxes, Can I move out and get my own place? YES!! Can I afford to buy my own car?! Yess!! SO why are my still mooching off of my parents?! Because I can! Would you rather have me move out and pay rent of 1.5million Naira a year when I have a "HOUSE" with my own room, palour, toilet and bathroom and a kitchen ensuite for free? I call that foolishness,

I just contributed to paying my sisters school fees in Canada, paid the fees of both my youngest siblings and it felt really good. Now I can walk up to my dad and say "Dad can I get like 50,000 from you?" His answer is gonna be either I dont have that kind of money right now, or take!! Thats because, he knows I can afford it and knows that i appreciate and understand what it means to make money, save and spend wisely,

No need for all that Nollywood drama of "My pikin, you need to go and hussle and learn to be a man" by throwing you out unto the streets or depriving you of money. Such measures are only necessary if the person has been spoilt silly as a child and isnt prudent with money or has no drive to make money, Infact, when I graduated secondary school at the age of 16, my dad gave me a car for my birthday, and took it back when I entered first year of the university,

##Wait, I need to go get more money from my mum!!!

Boy oh boy, you're alittle spoilt. Lucky you but your philosophy doesnt hold water! you need to get out there and be a man  wink
Re: When Did Your Dad Stopped Giving You Money? by 27naira(m): 11:14am On Sep 14, 2011
norrisman:

My dad never stopped per say. I made the decision to stop collecting money from him in 2004. I went home in 2007 with my wife and child and my dad brought N50,000 to give to me to spend. I refused it politely and told him I had some naira on me. And even till this date, driving a Merc, with 2 kids and well over 30, my dad still asks me if I need any financial assistance whenever he calls me.

Nice one. You dad must be a very cool dude. wink

Some daddies will expect it the other way round.
Its obvious your dad is "having" and so it doesnt count
Re: When Did Your Dad Stopped Giving You Money? by 27naira(m): 11:16am On Sep 14, 2011
Tolulop001:

the day i finished school was the end. pata pata.

Jarus:

During NYSC.

i dey come:

I stopped the day i came back from NYSC programme.

Thats Nigerian standard. Seriously, naija hard oh cheesy
Re: When Did Your Dad Stopped Giving You Money? by kodewrita(m): 11:30am On Sep 14, 2011
Its a give and take thing.

Started freelancing immediately after school before NYSC(8wks).

I got money all the way through NYSC (in spite of the fact that the NYSC salary I got was equivalent to OND salaries in some banks then + Free transport both ways). Left youth service with a few hundred thousands which I promptly lost in the first stock market crash (note to self: buy land next time big money lands).

Started work immediately with a huge paycheck and all cash from Dad ceased.

I now send gifts home and fund family projects though My dad still likes doing stuff for me( like buying books i might like or flight tickets to convince me not to take road trips). I allow it because it makes them feel good to do so. Besides, this life is short and its better we bond and enjoy each other while blood still runs.

But essentially, I got cash until end of NYSC.
Re: When Did Your Dad Stopped Giving You Money? by cecegorz(m): 11:34am On Sep 14, 2011
Beautiful question!
I actually stopped asking for money the day I left for NYSC. It was a deliberate personal decision from me, nobody advised me anything.
I figured out that i needed to be a man and help to train others; nephews and nieces, having been trained by my elder brothers. So i told my self that even after NYSC, i am NOT going back to 'our' house! Rather, i need to get 'MY' house.
With that mind set, i set my face like a flint. During NYSC, apart from my primary assignment, I set up Computer training centre with a fellow Corp member and we were making some tidy sums to keep body and soul together.
After NYSC i moved in with a friend (squatting!) YES! I knew i needed to put my self under that pressure to get a house for myself because going back to 'our' house will give me a kind of relaxed security.
Then, i made a vow to God (like Jacob, on his way to be a man) that once i get my first job, i will give him the first salary! Believe me there was no aptitude test that was done that period that i did nor write (invited or not!) i kept pushing till i got the first job that was not so paying, but gave me opportunity to learn a lot, then boom! the real deal came, and today, i can only be grateful to God for taking that decision!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

My Husband Prefers Spending All Of His Time With His Friends. / Depressed Wife Needs Your Urgent Advice. / LETTER TO NIGERIAN PARENTS

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.