Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,407 members, 7,819,447 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 04:29 PM

Long Distance Relationships - Would You Leave Nigeria? - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Long Distance Relationships - Would You Leave Nigeria? (2957 Views)

Why Did You Leave Your Ex? Share Your Experience. / Long Distance Relationships: Just Say No To The Torture. / Romantic Love Text Message And Advice For Distance Relationships (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Long Distance Relationships - Would You Leave Nigeria? by ashric(f): 11:08pm On Mar 01, 2006
I read with great interest the thread about long distance relationships. Of this I'm curious: of every one who says that distance relationships DO work, how many would immigrate to a different state/country to be with their love? I'm dating a Nigerian guy and I would gladly adopt his home as my own, but I don't think I could possibly leave America permanently for Nigeria. His skills are very marketable here and he would do very well, but there he is, as he refers to himself - " a poor young man" and "a hustla." My reasons are based on economics.

I think ladies would be more likely to immigrate, but what of the men?
Re: Long Distance Relationships - Would You Leave Nigeria? by Seun(m): 11:14pm On Mar 01, 2006
Offtopic: So you've never met your boyfriend?
Re: Long Distance Relationships - Would You Leave Nigeria? by ashric(f): 11:21pm On Mar 01, 2006
Yes, I've met him. We were on holiday in New York (separately) when we met. After about two months time he returned to Lagos. Modern technology is a wonderous thing - we've been able to keep up the communication and we speak every day, sometimes several times a day. Its become a long distance relationship and it's getting to be an issue. What we are spending on phone bills could go towards a plane ticket!
Re: Long Distance Relationships - Would You Leave Nigeria? by smartsoft(m): 11:39pm On Mar 01, 2006
lol
Re: Long Distance Relationships - Would You Leave Nigeria? by Hotstepper(f): 1:30am On Mar 02, 2006
look beyond phone bills if there is love. as i would alwayz say " love has no boundaries", lol, by da way, u Nigerian?
Re: Long Distance Relationships - Would You Leave Nigeria? by ashric(f): 2:49am On Mar 02, 2006
I'm not Nigerian at all, that I know of. I say it like that because my father's heritage is spotty and I don't know much about him. My mom is East Indian and I was brought up in America. My bf's dad is American and mom is Nigerian. He has lived his whole life in Nigeria. This month's phone bill is $300 which i think is like naira 38,317. I can afford it, but still. It would be less expensive for either of us (meaning HIM) to immigrate. smiley Now, before ppl start callin' me selfish, he said he will come. But it made me wonder, how many Nigerians are willing to give up their home for a distance love. It seems that there's a long of distance lovin' goin' on!

I would move in a heartbeat to anywhere that I can work and keep up the standard of living to which I'm accustomed. Btw, Hotstepper, thanx for the encouragement. I hope you're a lawyer so u can represent me in bankruptcy court. That's where I'll surely end up! grin
Re: Long Distance Relationships - Would You Leave Nigeria? by frankiriri(m): 2:39pm On Jan 27, 2007
Personally I dont beleive in long distance relationships. But if some I am already very serious with relocates abroad I may consider moving if the opportunities for me to make a living there is equally as good as it is in my present location.
Re: Long Distance Relationships - Would You Leave Nigeria? by racheal84(f): 1:27am On Dec 08, 2010
my husband is nigerian. He left nigeria and has been thru hell and back just for us to end up together. I felt kinda bad for him at some points sad But if there is true love. . .it has no boundaries.
Re: Long Distance Relationships - Would You Leave Nigeria? by Dsense(m): 1:30am On Dec 08, 2010
^^^He's so brave and ambitious!
Re: Long Distance Relationships - Would You Leave Nigeria? by MrsEve2(f): 1:33am On Dec 08, 2010
Hell, If I was coming out of Nigeria and trying to get to America, hell I would FOUGHT LIKE HELL too!
Re: Long Distance Relationships - Would You Leave Nigeria? by Dsense(m): 1:35am On Dec 08, 2010
^^^Are you preferring America to Nigeria? angry cheesy
Re: Long Distance Relationships - Would You Leave Nigeria? by racheal84(f): 1:42am On Dec 08, 2010
Mrs, Eve:

Hell, If I was coming out of Nigeria and trying to get to America, hell I would FOUGHT LIKE HELL too!

lol ok ok but america really isnt as great as everyone seems to make it out to be. Are you in america? just curious btw

they say america is land of the free. . .but shoot. . .ppl are more free in nigeria. I saw ppl peeing on the side of the road lol. we would get put in jail for that geez. or atleast a huge fine. Its just the economy. so many stupid laws i swear. its kinda stupid. angry
Re: Long Distance Relationships - Would You Leave Nigeria? by Dsense(m): 1:47am On Dec 08, 2010
Naija reputation is being battled here . . . .''Egbami ooo'' . . . cheesy
Re: Long Distance Relationships - Would You Leave Nigeria? by MrsEve2(f): 1:48am On Dec 08, 2010
racheal84:

lol ok ok but america really isnt as great as everyone seems to make it out to be. Are you in america? just curious btw

they say america is land of the free. . .but shoot. . .ppl are more free in nigeria. I saw ppl peeing on the side of the road lol. we would get put in jail for that geez. or atleast a huge fine.  Its just the economy. so many silly laws i swear. its kinda silly.  angry

Yes, Racheal I am in America.  I am a juicy American born wife of an Igbo man.  In comparison, I would pick America over Nigeria.  No offense, but Nigeria is a nice country don't get me wrong but to stay.  No thanks.  I would visit as often as I can but that about as far as homely I will get.  

You said that your husband had issues coming to America?  Did they assumed that some fraud was committed because that what happened with the lady in our church her husband can't come to USA he is not Nigerian but he is Ghanian.  They saying they don't they it real marriage but they have a legal marriage certificate.  Poor thing.
Re: Long Distance Relationships - Would You Leave Nigeria? by racheal84(f): 1:52am On Dec 08, 2010
Mrs, Eve:

Yes, Racheal I am in America.  I am a juicy American born wife of an Igbo man.  In comparison, I would pick America over Nigeria.  No offense, but Nigeria is a nice country don't get me wrong but to stay.  No thanks.  I would visit as often as I can but that about as far as homely I will get.  

You said that your husband had issues coming to America?  Did they assumed that some fraud was committed because that what happened with the lady in our church her husband can't come to USA he is not Nigerian but he is Ghanian.  They saying they don't they it real marriage but they have a legal marriage certificate.  Poor thing.  

OH lol i would pick america to. . .no offense to nigeria. smiley My husband is igbo also. smiley

No they didnt assume fraud. The american embassy in lagos just really sucks. It was hard to get thru. so we went about it a different way. Cost alot more but in the end. . .it was worth it.
Re: Long Distance Relationships - Would You Leave Nigeria? by racheal84(f): 1:53am On Dec 08, 2010
Mrs, Eve:

aw that is sad.
Re: Long Distance Relationships - Would You Leave Nigeria? by Tinksh(f): 2:37am On Dec 08, 2010
I would relocate for the guy i love. Life is too short.
Re: Long Distance Relationships - Would You Leave Nigeria? by Andybaby: 5:56pm On Jan 10, 2013
I HATE long distance relationship, there is a lot of pretence and cover ups

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Double Standards From Men / Her Dirty Linen: A Letter To My Ex-girlfriend. / Why Do Majority Of Nigerian Women Look Unattractive After 40?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.