Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,739 members, 7,824,113 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 11:21 PM

Six-ton Nasa Science Satellite Falls To Earth - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Six-ton Nasa Science Satellite Falls To Earth (5236 Views)

Ghana Looks To IMF For Salvation As Cedi Falls By 40% / Mugabe Renames Victoria Falls To Mosi Oa Tunya / Thief Falls Asleep During Robbery (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Six-ton Nasa Science Satellite Falls To Earth by mukina2: 7:42am On Sep 24, 2011

CAPE CANAVERAL, Florida (Reuters) - A six-ton NASA science satellite plunged to earth early on Saturday, but where any debris ended up was not immediately clear.

Re-entry was expected between 11:45 p.m. EDT Friday and 12:45 a.m. on Saturday, NASA said. During that period, the defunct Upper Atmosphere Research Satellite passed over Canada and Africa, as well as vast areas of the Pacific, Atlantic and Indian oceans.

NASA was attempting to confirm the re-entry location and time.

http://news.yahoo.com/falling-six-ton-satellite-headed-toward-earth-011725135.html
Re: Six-ton Nasa Science Satellite Falls To Earth by chriselena: 8:24am On Sep 24, 2011
Is it a way of telling of telling us to watch over our heads? grin Anyway I saw parts of it in Nnewi Spare parts market this morning. Poster please contact NASA and tell them of my discovery.
Re: Six-ton Nasa Science Satellite Falls To Earth by mckemsoc(m): 8:27am On Sep 24, 2011
Satellite plungerin 2 d Earth, Imagine dis crash landin in a highly populated area. BABA GOD SEE UR PEOPLE O
Re: Six-ton Nasa Science Satellite Falls To Earth by denony(m): 9:01am On Sep 24, 2011
chriselena:

Is it a way of telling of telling us to watch over our heads? grin Anyway I saw parts of it in Nnewi Spare parts market this morning. Poster please contact NASA and tell them of my discovery.

ROTFLMAO

What else do we need to know that the world is crumbling

OH GOD REMEMBER YOUR PEOPLE ON THAT DAY
Re: Six-ton Nasa Science Satellite Falls To Earth by coded777: 9:17am On Sep 24, 2011
Why earth of all planet?
Re: Six-ton Nasa Science Satellite Falls To Earth by Nobody: 9:38am On Sep 24, 2011
coded777:

Why earth of all planet?

Most satellites and foreign bodies in the galaxy are orbitting only one planet -Earth, because its only here you find life
Re: Six-ton Nasa Science Satellite Falls To Earth by Otunbakay(m): 10:13am On Sep 24, 2011
chriselena:

you nor go kill person. Anyhow that was a gud one, atleast u help discovered where the debris lay
chriselena:

you nor go kill person. Anyhow that was a gud one, atleast u help discovered where the debris lay
Re: Six-ton Nasa Science Satellite Falls To Earth by desthan(m): 10:31am On Sep 24, 2011
DJTee:

Most satellites and foreign bodies in the galaxy are orbitting only one planet -Earth, because its only here you find life

Thank you for that answer.

Some people with some question maybe it should be orbiting Mars or Jupiter where you have the likes of voltron, zelda, yoris etc residing there. . . . undecided
Re: Six-ton Nasa Science Satellite Falls To Earth by Basics007: 10:45am On Sep 24, 2011
When i read that bit about it passing over Africa i said Ope o! Imaging the thing landing in my compound,i'll sue all sueables.
Re: Six-ton Nasa Science Satellite Falls To Earth by WebSurfer(m): 11:31am On Sep 24, 2011
real bad
Re: Six-ton Nasa Science Satellite Falls To Earth by texazzpete(m): 11:56am On Sep 24, 2011
coded777:

Why earth of all planet?

Congrats! You've just won an award for the daftest thing ever posted on Nairaland!
Re: Six-ton Nasa Science Satellite Falls To Earth by Reptyle(m): 12:01pm On Sep 24, 2011
Basics007:

When i read that bit about it passing over Africa i said Ope o! Imaging the thing landing in my compound,i'll sue all sueables.
Broa I hate to be the one to inform you but if a six ton mass of anything lands anywhere near your compound, you and ur lawyer will probably be too dead to sue. Just saying grin
Re: Six-ton Nasa Science Satellite Falls To Earth by IG: 1:35pm On Sep 24, 2011
Such mishaps are normal in space operations. There were severe instances when lives are lost like the case of the Challenger in 1986. But the funny thing is that in Nigeria when we had problems with NIGCOMSAT-1, almost everybody started crying foul.
Re: Six-ton Nasa Science Satellite Falls To Earth by sandysprax(m): 2:32pm On Sep 24, 2011
Reptyle:

Broa I hate to be the one to inform you but if a six ton mass of anything lands anywhere near your compound, you and your lawyer will probably be too dead to sue. Just saying grin
U spoke my mind before i could post my reply to that silly belief
chriselena:

grin grin grin + lwtmb. I just love Nigerians, we r very humourous.Nice one bro/sis
Re: Six-ton Nasa Science Satellite Falls To Earth by kelvin(m): 2:36pm On Sep 24, 2011
IG:

Such mishaps are normal in space operations. There were severe instances when lives are lost like the case of the Challenger in 1986. But the funny thing is that in Nigeria when we had problems with NIGCOMSAT-1, almost everybody started crying foul.

In this case, the satellite is falling to earth, everyone is going to see the evidence. But with the NIGCOMSAT 1, they claimed it drifted out of orbit, Who knows, it might have been true, but until we see the parts falling, it will be hard to believe
Re: Six-ton Nasa Science Satellite Falls To Earth by Nobody: 2:52pm On Sep 24, 2011
Really? I can be tracked by making a phone call but a satellite cannot be tracked by NASA, one of the most sophisticated teams on earth?
80 guys with 120 calculators, 65 slide rulers, 200 wind machines, and 80 PhD's say it hit "Earth", no specifics. Man, I guess I have to go and buy all these "Alaba made" helmets made from spare parts.
Re: Six-ton Nasa Science Satellite Falls To Earth by coded777: 2:54pm On Sep 24, 2011
texazzpete:

Congrats! You've just won an award for  the daftest thing ever posted on Nairaland!

You be e.diot Texaxpit. must u react to every stimulant ?
Re: Six-ton Nasa Science Satellite Falls To Earth by moshoodn(m): 3:18pm On Sep 24, 2011
Too bad. . . .
Re: Six-ton Nasa Science Satellite Falls To Earth by MMM2(m): 3:38pm On Sep 24, 2011
pls can some1 here confirm how it got 2 aba undecided

Becos some1 called me from ala-oji in aba asking me if i will buy d goods angry
Re: Six-ton Nasa Science Satellite Falls To Earth by MMM2(m): 3:40pm On Sep 24, 2011
^^
D fake embarassed
Re: Six-ton Nasa Science Satellite Falls To Earth by Nymphnode(m): 5:31pm On Sep 24, 2011
Basics007:

Its more likely for it to fall into the sea but dont quote me o, it may be sailing through your rooftop any moment from now
Re: Six-ton Nasa Science Satellite Falls To Earth by Emmyk(m): 5:57pm On Sep 24, 2011
I saw it pass over my roof and some aliens were waving in it!!
Re: Six-ton Nasa Science Satellite Falls To Earth by tlops(m): 6:30pm On Sep 24, 2011
The thing never land yet?
Re: Six-ton Nasa Science Satellite Falls To Earth by Ekiti1: 7:47pm On Sep 24, 2011
ItsModella:

Really? I can be tracked by making a phone call but a satellite cannot be tracked by NASA, one of the most sophisticated teams on earth?
80 guys with 120 calculators, 65 slide rulers, 200 wind machines, and 80 PhD's say it hit "Earth", no specifics. Man, I guess I have to go and buy all these "Alaba made" helmets made from spare parts.
Geez. Cant stop laughing. 80 guys, 120 calculators!
I owe u a bottle of drink.
Re: Six-ton Nasa Science Satellite Falls To Earth by Xionez(m): 8:03pm On Sep 24, 2011
tlops:

The thing never land yet?

Not sure. But i woke up to the sun shining on my face (or is it that my room is too bright and airy today) and this massive bucket-like contraption in my living room. Weird if you ask me.
Guess my hang-over hasnt yet subsided.
Re: Six-ton Nasa Science Satellite Falls To Earth by Dabss(m): 8:22pm On Sep 24, 2011
coded777:

Why earth of all planet?
lol which other planet has A six-ton
NASA science satellite orbitting around it?
Re: Six-ton Nasa Science Satellite Falls To Earth by Gepheral: 9:01pm On Sep 24, 2011
Lots of humour in here,
Re: Six-ton Nasa Science Satellite Falls To Earth by tlops(m): 11:45pm On Sep 24, 2011
Nasa has said it is not aware of any injuries or property damage from a defunct six-ton satellite that has fallen from the sky.

The agency posted on its website that the spacecraft crashed through the atmosphere early on Saturday somewhere over the north Pacific Ocean. An exact location is not known.

Most of the satellite is believed to have burned up on entering Earth's atmosphere.

The Upper Atmospheric Research Satellite (UARS) was Nasa's biggest spacecraft to tumble out of orbit, uncontrolled, in 32 years.

UARS was launched aboard space shuttle Discovery in 1991. Nasa decommissioned the satellite in 2005, after moving it into a lower orbit that cut its life short by two decades.

Pieces of space junk often re-enter the atmosphere but no injuries have ever been reported from such incidents.

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/satellites-fall-earth-slows-023758667.html
Re: Six-ton Nasa Science Satellite Falls To Earth by Nobody: 12:53am On Sep 25, 2011
Ekiti1:

Geez. Cant stop laughing. 80 guys, 120 calculators!
I owe u a bottle of drink.
I'll be waiting for it wink
Re: Six-ton Nasa Science Satellite Falls To Earth by Efizzi: 9:25am On Sep 25, 2011
Sincerly, I have seen more than 20. Bright lights. Falling and no one has been able to account for any one. And when I asked I was told they are Unidentified flying objects.
Am just glad that we have been able to identify one of these UFOs
Re: Six-ton Nasa Science Satellite Falls To Earth by EfeEkarume(m): 12:40am On Sep 26, 2011
You mean the NASAmoon(satellite) is falling to earth? Hurray! No more darkness in Nigeria again.
Re: Six-ton Nasa Science Satellite Falls To Earth by upendo98(f): 6:38am On Sep 26, 2011
Argh.bn waiting to hear where it landed!

(1) (Reply)

US Economy Enters Depression And The End Of The Petrol-dollar This October / Israel: Between The Devil Of Terrorism And The Deep Blue Sea Of Denial. / Palestinian Loss Of Land From 1946 To Present

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.