Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,241 members, 7,829,441 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 07:00 AM

Cost Of Electricity Consumption In Nigeria Cheapest In The World – FG - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Cost Of Electricity Consumption In Nigeria Cheapest In The World – FG (15607 Views)

Petrol In Nigeria Cheapest, Most Affordable In West Africa - Ajuri Ngelale / 9 Ways To Save Your Electricity Consumption by NERC / Nigerians To Pay More For Electricity Consumption (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Cost Of Electricity Consumption In Nigeria Cheapest In The World – FG by funshint(m): 11:55am On May 07, 2023
nairalanda1:

The fact those countries charge higher is why they can afford sustained power.

Plus, Ghana gets 25% of its gas supply for power from Nigeria, for example.
Believe me even if Nigeria charges as much as those countries it still wouldn't guarantee steady power supply. Nigeria's epileptic power is actually a human problem. There are people in the power sector who are profiting heavily from the darkness. Except the next government deal with the deep corruption in the power sector and review the shambolic privatization done by the previous GEJ administration nothing will change. Most of these Discos were actually setup for revenue collection for the govt; not to facilitate improvement in the power situation. That's the frank truth. The privatization was a scam!
Re: Cost Of Electricity Consumption In Nigeria Cheapest In The World – FG by Mrfeel: 11:56am On May 07, 2023
Flier:
They need to invest and provide stable electricity first then see if people wont pay

For example a friend of mine is paying 6 million naira per month,his company is near Army barrack so they give him light atleast 18hours a day but my own factory that is situated in so called residential district as they grouped it get like 24hrs of electricity in a month
They give me 200k bill but i refused to pay,cut off their light and rely on generator,even though i spend like 12 million naira on diesel every month,it gives me joy than paying 200k to Nepa for the light they did not supply me

Even with little electricity we are generating,if they have sense,they will priotise companies and establisment,make sure all the major roads in nigeria get 24 hours electricity supply and mandate companies to leave residential areas and move to major roads to get stable stupply,by doing this they can get enough money to reinvest in the business
for example,the Nigerian brewery that i know is now using Solar and cocacola is also using diesel
That's just it , Nigerians are willing to pay as long as the light is constantly stable ,alot of businesses factories companies folded up in Nigeria cause of lack of power supply
Re: Cost Of Electricity Consumption In Nigeria Cheapest In The World – FG by nairalanda1(m): 12:00pm On May 07, 2023
funshint:

Believe me even if Nigeria charges as much as those countries it still wouldn't guarantee steady power supply. Nigeria's epileptic power is actually a human problem. There are people in the power sector who are profiting heavily from the darkness. Except the next government deal with the deep corruption in the power sector and review the shambolic privatization done by the previous GEJ administration nothing will change. Most of these Discos were actually setup for revenue collection for the govt; not to facilitate improvement in the power situation. That's the frank truth. The privatization was a scam!

Yeah we had the same issues with NITEL...then we brought in the GSM companies, which not only did well, but beat NITEL very well

Why? Because private companies rely on the profit they make. That is why sabotage cannot work for them.

Electricity in Nigeria, wherther they work or not, when they were owned by government, money always came from government, plus they could use wayo to get more money.

Once they were privatised, government put in place PRICE CONTROLS...which meant that for them to make more money they had to resort to wayo means since price controls in essence made them operate at a loss. Then there is the fact that 30-40% of customers DO NOT PAY FOR POWER.

You want things to run well...you need to make a profit. Last time I checked, Nigeria does not manufactre anything needed for power generation and distribition except cables and meters.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Cost Of Electricity Consumption In Nigeria Cheapest In The World – FG by okeysoninv: 12:01pm On May 07, 2023
Flier:
They need to invest and provide stable electricity first then see if people wont pay

For example a friend of mine is paying 6 million naira per month,his company is near Army barrack so they give him light atleast 18hours a day but my own factory that is situated in so called residential district as they grouped it get like 24hrs of electricity in a month
They give me 200k bill but i refused to pay,cut off their light and rely on generator,even though i spend like 12 million naira on diesel every month,it gives me joy than paying 200k to Nepa for the light they did not supply me

Even with little electricity we are generating,if they have sense,they will priotise companies and establisment,make sure all the major roads in nigeria get 24 hours electricity supply and mandate companies to leave residential areas and move to major roads to get stable stupply,by doing this they can get enough money to reinvest in the business
for example,the Nigerian brewery that i know is now using Solar and cocacola is also using diesel
how much power units is your company using . let me profer you some solution.
Re: Cost Of Electricity Consumption In Nigeria Cheapest In The World – FG by Nobody: 12:01pm On May 07, 2023
Solidkay:
Foolish talk.

God punish Buhari and Keyamo..

Well, politicians don teach us how to steal.. they steal money but we do bypass of electricity..

Lol

I never pay light bill since 3yrs now..

Thou I was guilty of it b4 someone gave me this idear and reason to bypass..

1 Like

Re: Cost Of Electricity Consumption In Nigeria Cheapest In The World – FG by nairalanda1(m): 12:02pm On May 07, 2023
Mrfeel:

Nigeria had all the money to generate and distribute electricity to all Nigerians right from the time oil was booming , it was never about lack of money or lack of profits , where is the 16 billion obasanjo claim to invest into power when in reality the money never reach there? It's never about profit , Nigerians pay for electricity that they don't even use

Want a cold truth? We never did have enough to pay for 24/7 power for everyone in the city and rural areas. (Unless we want to do as most African countries do and supply power to selected areas.).

Even that 16 billion is small change.

A group of independent power experts did the math in 2016, and found it would cost 900 billion to fix Nigerian power, at a rate of 30 billion per annum.

2 Likes

Re: Cost Of Electricity Consumption In Nigeria Cheapest In The World – FG by udemzyudex(m): 12:04pm On May 07, 2023
You add the darkness or you minus the darkness?

For my parent side the electricity dey constant, they can go three days without interruption and even if dem take am, within 30mins dem don restore am,na you go dey recharge your meter when you no get light but others get.

But for my side especially those wey no get prepaid dem dey get over estimated bills even for darkness and FG dey get mouth dey talk about electricity cheapest in Nigeria.

Omo FG dey cap.
Re: Cost Of Electricity Consumption In Nigeria Cheapest In The World – FG by F117nighthawk: 12:05pm On May 07, 2023
What basic infrastructures have u provided for the citizens since independence compared to what u rulers in government have stolen in return? Have u provided quality governance to the people as compared to other countries u now equate our electricity payment to? Awon a layi nikan se
Re: Cost Of Electricity Consumption In Nigeria Cheapest In The World – FG by Burgerlomo: 12:11pm On May 07, 2023
They are at least getting a constant uninterrupted power supply so they are enjoying what they pay for unlike Naija 😎

1 Like

Re: Cost Of Electricity Consumption In Nigeria Cheapest In The World – FG by izibili44: 12:11pm On May 07, 2023
Yes very cheap. Because they are paying for light that they are not using. Here we only pay for what we use.
Re: Cost Of Electricity Consumption In Nigeria Cheapest In The World – FG by Nchenches: 12:17pm On May 07, 2023
EcoBrick:
https://www.vanguardngr.com/2023/05/cost-of-electricity-consumption-in-nigeria-cheapest-in-the-world-fg/

Mynd44

Another Excuse for failure of APC government.
You wouldn't put the monthly salary in each of the countries mentioned on the same scale with Nigeria's monthly salary.
You APC people should rather be ashamed for making Nigeria become the POVERTY CAPITAL of the world.
Re: Cost Of Electricity Consumption In Nigeria Cheapest In The World – FG by frankmoney(m): 12:17pm On May 07, 2023
Oya make it expensive and give us 24 hours light
Re: Cost Of Electricity Consumption In Nigeria Cheapest In The World – FG by Mrfeel: 12:19pm On May 07, 2023
nairalanda1:

Want a cold truth? We never did have enough to pay for 24/7 power for everyone in the city and rural areas. (Unless we want to do as most African countries do and supply power to selected areas.).

Even that 16 billion is small change.

A group of independent power experts did the math in 2016, and found it would cost 900 billion to fix Nigerian power, at a rate of 30 billion per annum.
All these power generating and distribution happens in stages ,if the Nigerian government was serious about achieving that they could have , starting from 1970 till date they could have achieved that , the money wasted mismanaged in the hands of Nigerian from 1970 till date it's enough to achieve that

Power generation and distribution is not something you budget $900 billion Cash at hand and make it happen, it a stage by stage process which Nigeria failed to follow through

1 Like

Re: Cost Of Electricity Consumption In Nigeria Cheapest In The World – FG by Christistruth02: 12:20pm On May 07, 2023
Is the Minimum Wage also the best in the World?
Re: Cost Of Electricity Consumption In Nigeria Cheapest In The World – FG by HausaIgboYoruba: 12:24pm On May 07, 2023
EcoBrick:
https://www.vanguardngr.com/2023/05/cost-of-electricity-consumption-in-nigeria-cheapest-in-the-world-fg/

Mynd44

the cost of generating power in Nigeria is the cheapest in the world.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Cost Of Electricity Consumption In Nigeria Cheapest In The World – FG by Pabloicardi: 12:25pm On May 07, 2023
EcoBrick:

Mynd44

Always comparing with other countries in terms of wickedness and hardship instead of welfare and easy life.

1 Like

Re: Cost Of Electricity Consumption In Nigeria Cheapest In The World – FG by COMPAQ(m): 12:29pm On May 07, 2023
GreyLaw:
Rubbish. Just like Ngige shouting at the top of his lungs about subsidised education. You can only call something subsidised when you offer original quality/quantity at reduced cost.

Nigeria wey light no dey and people dey pray make PHCN give light for heat period make dem fit use fan na hin dem say their electricity be the cheapest.

Thanks goodness Buhari is packing his bags home to his home in Niger or wherever he calls home. Let's someone else try. Maybe BAT go do better. Just maybe.

Nope your statement about subsidy only applying when original quality is at reduced cost is wrong. If the sale price is less than the per unit cost intentionally, then a subsidy is in place. Simple.

2 Likes

Re: Cost Of Electricity Consumption In Nigeria Cheapest In The World – FG by Haveyoueatentod: 12:29pm On May 07, 2023
Cheapest and the most irregular power supply in the world 😂😂
Re: Cost Of Electricity Consumption In Nigeria Cheapest In The World – FG by nairalanda1(m): 12:31pm On May 07, 2023
Mrfeel:

All these power generating and distribution happens in stages ,if the Nigerian government was serious about achieving that they could have , starting from 1970 till date they could have achieved that , the money wasted mismanaged in the hands of Nigerian from 1970 till date it's enough to achieve that

Power generation and distribution is not something you budget $900 billion Cash at hand and make it happen, it a stage by stage process which Nigeria failed to follow through

1.900bn naira , not cash

2.The thing is, power needs profit to run well. Price controls do not help.

Also, a big part of why we don't have power was starting from the early 1980's, expansion of power to rural areas plus people doing illegal connections overloaded the grid, and also increased the number of households reliant on power beyond the capacity of NEPA then to supply them

If they were paying well for power, things might have been better, but we were paying cheap prices...and thus no money.

Unlike GSM....we pay high prices, and MTN and co make a lot of money which they can spend on making services better and eventually cheaper.
Re: Cost Of Electricity Consumption In Nigeria Cheapest In The World – FG by Lama70(m): 12:32pm On May 07, 2023
Which kind talk be dis baayi?
Re: Cost Of Electricity Consumption In Nigeria Cheapest In The World – FG by funshint(m): 12:33pm On May 07, 2023
nairalanda1:

Yeah we had the same issues with NITEL...then we brought in the GSM companies, which not only did well, but beat NITEL very well

Why? Because private companies rely on the profit they make. That is why sabotage cannot work for them.

Electricity in Nigeria, wherther they work or not, when they were owned by government, money always came from government, plus they could use wayo to get more money.

Once they were privatised, government put in place PRICE CONTROLS...which meant that for them to make more money they had to resort to wayo means since price controls in essence made them operate at a loss. Then there is the fact that 30-40% of customers DO NOT PAY FOR POWER.

You want things to run well...you need to make a profit. Last time I checked, Nigeria does not manufactre anything needed for power generation and distribition except cables and meters.
The tariff is not the issue here, most of these Discos lacked the technical know-how and capacity to operate. To the extent that they even reject load from the Gencos. Unlike the telecoms sector where established companies were brought into the country, NEPA was broken down and sold off to politicians who had next to zero technical knowledge and capacity to handle such a critical sector. Also most of these companies didn't have the initial financial capacity to buy NEPA. What they are trying to do by raising tariff which does still not guarantee steady power supply is trying to rub Peter to pay Paul. So people should pay more for darkness; does this make any sense to you? This is pure evil!
Re: Cost Of Electricity Consumption In Nigeria Cheapest In The World – FG by sprints1: 12:36pm On May 07, 2023
Big lie it is even Russia and some Eastern European countries light as low as 10Euros can carry for 3 months. Stupid people charging 67.25/unit here in Ibadan 5k light wey no dey last pass 2 weeks sometimes 10days oponu country and federal government
Re: Cost Of Electricity Consumption In Nigeria Cheapest In The World – FG by 123yes(m): 12:37pm On May 07, 2023
Shameless government. Collecting bills payment every month without giving the masses light
Re: Cost Of Electricity Consumption In Nigeria Cheapest In The World – FG by khalids: 12:39pm On May 07, 2023
nairalanda1:
It is cheap

What we pay for in 4 months for 22 hours power supply daily in Nigeria to a big 5 bedroom house is what overseas people pay for a month's supply to a one bedroom flat.

The analysis by the minister is just too poor......
Why are they always doing this surface thinking

we have a poor and insufficient electricity supply...the consequence of which people are forced to generate their own power, via generators, green energy, etc. All of these are expensive, this extra expense is funneled throughout our society in the form of an increase in the cost of goods and services.
For the fact that businesses have to spend more on operations costs, they are not able to increase salaries.
Now you have citizens whose income is poor and not increasing but the cost of living keeps increasing due to the fundamental failure of the government.

So where are they now supposed to get money to pay for the increase in electricity cost? We already are paying indirectly...ours is one of the most expensive....

What they need to focus on is improving the system in areas that matter the most...have they thought about reducing the cost of electricity generation....why put a generating plant in Sokoto when the source of gas for it is in Bayelsa...is this, not foolishness....we are just paying for Government incompetence (Not to forget that Government are the highest defaulters when it comes to paying their electricity bill)

2 Likes

Re: Cost Of Electricity Consumption In Nigeria Cheapest In The World – FG by nairalanda1(m): 12:43pm On May 07, 2023
funshint:

The tariff is not the issue here, most of these Discos lacked the technical and capacity to operate. To the extent that they even reject load from the Gencos

They do. Very much so. And yes, they reject power from GENCOS becasuse their low monies from tarrif collection means they cannot pay for the power they eventually reject. If they accepted it, the debt they would incur would make their current disastrous debt look like chicken change.

Unlike the telecoms sector where established companies were brought into the country,

And who were allowed to SET THEIR PRICES. Nothing like price controls, and services back in the day were very bad (The reason why many Nigerians started having two phone lines is because for a time you could not use MTN lines to call other networks and vice versa, and you could not call NITEL lines or any other land lines)

But they were allowed to SET THEIR PRICES.....and as a result, they made a profit and made things better, and prices eventually came down because compettion.

DISCOS can't set their prices...and government even prevented them from rasing their prices as allowed by the laws for two years.

NEPA was broken down and sold off to politicians who had next to zero technical knowledge and capacity to handle such a critical sector. Also most of these companies didn't have the initial financial capacity to buy NEPA. What they are trying to do by raising tariff which does still not guarantee steady power supply is trying to rub Peter to pay Paul. So people should pay more for darkness; does this make any sense to you? This is pure evil!

Oga, even with the price increases, government DOES NOT LET DISCOS RAISE PRICES ABOVE WHAT IT COSTS TO PRODUCE POWER.

Now before you quote me again, answer this question.

You are rasing chickens, and it costs you N5000 to raise one chicken. Broilers. Would you sell them at N1000 to help the poor, or at N7000 to make a profit?

1 Like

Re: Cost Of Electricity Consumption In Nigeria Cheapest In The World – FG by IamANigerianMan: 12:45pm On May 07, 2023
Re: Cost Of Electricity Consumption In Nigeria Cheapest In The World – FG by timisquare82(m): 12:45pm On May 07, 2023
But availability of electricity in Nigeria poorest in the world
Re: Cost Of Electricity Consumption In Nigeria Cheapest In The World – FG by nairalanda1(m): 12:45pm On May 07, 2023
khalids:

The analysis by the minister is just too poor......
Why are they always doing this surface thinking

we have a poor and insufficient electricity supply...the consequence of which people are forced to generate their own power, via generators, green energy, etc. All of these are expensive, this extra expense is funneled throughout our society in the form of an increase in the cost of goods and services.
For the fact that businesses have to spend more on operations costs, they are not able to increase salaries.
Now you have citizens whose income is poor and not increasing but the cost of living keeps increasing due to the fundamental failure of the government.

So where are they now supposed to get money to pay for the increase in electricity cost? We already are paying indirectly...ours is one of the most expensive....

What they need to focus on is improving the system in areas that matter the most...have they thought about reducing the cost of electricity generation....why put a generating plant in Sokoto when the source of gas for it is in Bayelsa...is this, not foolishness....we are just paying for Government incompetence (Not to forget that Government are the highest defaulters when it comes to paying their electricity bill)

We have a poor and inefficent power supply because anytime Government tries to let it be set by the DISCOS and GENCOS, you guys cry about poverty and how Nigerians are suffering.

So, where are the power companies supposed to make a profit to improve things?

Seriously?
Re: Cost Of Electricity Consumption In Nigeria Cheapest In The World – FG by eepeepook: 12:46pm On May 07, 2023
Mscheew. There will always be Nairalanders who agree with sentiments of this sort. Give me steady power first before singing praises.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Cost Of Electricity Consumption In Nigeria Cheapest In The World – FG by Mrfeel: 12:46pm On May 07, 2023
nairalanda1:

1.900bn naira , not cash

2.The thing is, power needs profit to run well. Price controls do not help.

Also, a big part of why we don't have power was starting from the early 1980's, expansion of power to rural areas plus people doing illegal connections overloaded the grid, and also increased the number of households reliant on power beyond the capacity of NEPA then to supply them

If they were paying well for power, things might have been better, but we were paying cheap prices...and thus no money.

Unlike GSM....we pay high prices, and MTN and co make a lot of money which they can spend on making services better and eventually cheaper.

Power needs profit to run , how will you make profit if you don't supply power to your costumer's, I have travelled around Nigeria majority of rulers areas in Nigeria are without power supply , majority of Nigerians depend on generators , major companies in Nigeria use their own generator plants for power

It is Never about people not paying for power it is about not generating enough power to supply to the people , the money Nigeria spend on fuel subsidy from the 70s till date could have done alot in the power sector
Re: Cost Of Electricity Consumption In Nigeria Cheapest In The World – FG by nairalanda1(m): 12:48pm On May 07, 2023
Mrfeel:

Power needs profit to run , how will you make profit if you don't supply power to your costumer's, I have travelled around Nigeria majority of rulers areas in Nigeria are without power supply , majority of Nigerians depend on generators , major companies in Nigeria use their own generator plants for power

It is Never about people not paying for power it is about not generating enough power to supply to the people , the money Nigeria spend on fuel subsidy from the 70s till date could have done alot in the power sector

How would you make enough money to pay for improvements if your tarrifs are below production price and some of your customers are not paying you even?

Would YOU do business under such conditions.?

Seriously, there is no such thing as cheap power. Power costs MONEY.

1 Like

Re: Cost Of Electricity Consumption In Nigeria Cheapest In The World – FG by easiest(m): 12:49pm On May 07, 2023
Let sort this issue one after another, let the electricity available then we will debate if it's cheap and affordable or not.

We only notice we are paying taxes on what you did not provide to us when we need them, only God almighty will judge you guys

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

President Tinubu Celebrates MKO Abiola On His 25th Death Anniversary / Alhaji Gay Is Dead / Relatives Of #chibokgirls Marched Through Abuja Today (Photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.