Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,553 members, 7,812,763 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 06:56 PM

Ndigbo, It Is Time To Return Home And Develop East - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ndigbo, It Is Time To Return Home And Develop East (4782 Views)

Buni Yadi Residents Return Home Years After Boko Haram Attacks / See Reactions Of People When IPOB Tells Igbos Living In The North To Return Home / Patience Jonathan To Return Home - SaharaReporters (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ndigbo, It Is Time To Return Home And Develop East by Onlytruth(m): 3:11am On Sep 28, 2011
Posted by: ndu_chucks

@Onlytruth, This statement from you "I admit you are spot on that at least "10%" Igbo business should be located in SE.
If I had my way, I would say at least 50% should be located in SE" is good enough for me. The rest of your post is noise. For the said noise I say the following to you:  Okwute Palestinians piafuka gi blokos. olodo

hehe. You haven't answered my question though:

What is pursuing you this time?
No be "One Nigeria" again?
Shouldn't you be reining in your murdering brothers up North first?  
Are you prepared to let us go now?  

Your theory only works if you throw in the option of eventual secession for us.
We don't want to leave business opportunities behind and still get denied the opportunity to create new ones in the East, which secession would allow us to do properly. You want to corner that oil money being allocated to North all for yourselves alone. You think say we no know say ya population na lie? Our being in your backward helps us to get some of our money back. But if we secede, you can have ya backyard all to yourselves.  cool
Ka geni?

1 Like

Re: Ndigbo, It Is Time To Return Home And Develop East by SouthEast1: 3:15am On Sep 28, 2011
Alj Harem,

Can you point to one single northern investment in Igboland? Even Dangote does not have any, as far as I know. Or do you mean maigida (gateman) investments and moving cattle back and forth from North to South?
Re: Ndigbo, It Is Time To Return Home And Develop East by Onlytruth(m): 3:19am On Sep 28, 2011
Frankly I really agree with ndu_chuks (his motives not withstanding), cos only Ndigbo do this among the majority tribes.
Hausa don't do it, neither do Yoruba.
So, it makes no sense at all for Ndigbo to keep cheating themselves by developing other zones instead of their own.
If necessary, the business men and investors should approach our governors for land and support.
Re: Ndigbo, It Is Time To Return Home And Develop East by ak47mann(m): 3:27am On Sep 28, 2011
hmmm well he is right igbos don't need to build big Manson and hotels in the north they rather build ware houses just for business and then carry the money and build estates and apartments in SE at list we were fixing our roads in SE with our own cash some private roads were fix by business people, same as housing estates private estates  and plazas hotels industries markets all build by igbos in the SE no help from anybody.I think those ones in northern Nigeria should start selling fast for their own good,
Re: Ndigbo, It Is Time To Return Home And Develop East by aljharem3: 3:36am On Sep 28, 2011
South-East:

Alj Harem,

Can you point to one single northern investment in Igboland? Even Dangote does not have any, as far as I know. Or do you mean maigida (gateman) investments and moving cattle back and forth from North to South?

Dangote has a lot of offices in port harcourt and calabar

but in terms of IGBOLAND

yes he does

ANAMBRA AREA SALES
C/o Chief M. O. Mbonu
Shop No F, 22/23,
Bakery Material Market,
Ogidi- Onitsha, Anambra State

that is just one of the many sections. Also a great employer of labour which some are Igbos

also Danjuma

not to talk of other hausa traders in stocks like foods, clothes etc

and fulani, kanuri stock in cattle which 1 may cost about 50-120 thousand Naira.

Not necessarily hotels but houses, Yes hausas build houses in Igboland and even Kanuri people.
Re: Ndigbo, It Is Time To Return Home And Develop East by GAR3TH(m): 3:39am On Sep 28, 2011
Wont sending igbos back to their homeland be economic suicide. You act as if as soon as they move back they will get jobs and you act as if there is a surplus of job openings in igboland. Fact remains that Igboland has the same unemployment rate as the rest of the country. If they move back it will just create a large labor pool of unemployed workers. FYI that is not how jobs are create, heck, thats a very efficient was of losing jobs.

You guys on NL need to stop thinking with sentiments and start thinking with common sense. We understand you are proudly igbo but this is becoming a joke. They chose were they currently live and work for a reason. If their home town had economic viability they wont need you or anyone to tell them to go home.

1 Like

Re: Ndigbo, It Is Time To Return Home And Develop East by SouthEast1: 3:40am On Sep 28, 2011
alj_harem:

Dangote has a lot of offices in port harcourt and calabar

but in terms of IGBOLAND

yes he does

ANAMBRA AREA SALES
C/o Chief M. O. Mbonu
Shop No F, 22/23,
Bakery Material Market,
Ogidi- Onitsha, Anambra State

that is just one of the many sections. Also a great employer of labour which some are Igbos

also Danjuma

not to talk of other hausa traders in stocks like foods, clothes etc

and fulani, kanuri stock in cattle which 1 may cost about 50-120 thousand Naira.

Not necessarily hotels but houses, Yes hausas build houses in Igboland and even Kanuri people.

Hehehe. Just one outlet for Dangote. The case of Dangote was actually discussed in an Igbo meeting recently as someone used him as an example of how Igbos should stop investing in the North.
What investment does Danjuma have in Igboland? Are those cattle stocked permanently in Igboland or they are moved from place to place? Please explain. Thanks. I have not seen any house in Igboland owned by a Northerner. However, I will like Igbos on here to comment on this claim.
Re: Ndigbo, It Is Time To Return Home And Develop East by ektbear: 3:42am On Sep 28, 2011
when did it become Dangote's obligation to invest in the SE?

Investing is not charity. You do it to make money.

If there are opportunities he is missing, then surely you are capable enough to pick them up, yes?

1 Like

Re: Ndigbo, It Is Time To Return Home And Develop East by SouthEast1: 3:43am On Sep 28, 2011
GAR3TH:

Wont sending igbos back to their homeland be economic suicide. You act as if as soon as they move back they will get jobs and you act as if there is a surplus of job openings in igboland. Fact remains that Igboland has the same unemployment rate as the rest of the country. If they move back it will just create a large labor pool of unemployed workers. FYI that is not how jobs are create, heck, that a very efficient was of losing jobs.

You guys on NL need to stop thinking with sentiments and start thinking with common sense. We understand you are proudly igbo but this is becoming a joke. They chose were they currently live and work for a reason. I their home town had economic viability they wont need you or anyone to tell them to go home.

Op is not an Igbo. He is a northerner.
Re: Ndigbo, It Is Time To Return Home And Develop East by SouthEast1: 3:44am On Sep 28, 2011
ekt_bear:

when did it become Dangote's obligation to invest in the SE?

Investing is not charity. You do it to make money.

If there are opportunities he is missing, then surely you are capable enough to pick them up, yes?

Read below:

''The case of Dangote was actually discussed in an Igbo meeting recently as someone used him as an example of how Igbos should stop investing in the North''.
Re: Ndigbo, It Is Time To Return Home And Develop East by ektbear: 3:47am On Sep 28, 2011
The point is more general, Nchara.

Perhaps the reason nobody is interested in investing in the SE is because there isn't economic opportunity there.

Igbo would prefer to invest elsewhere. So why do you expect anyone else (Hausa, Yoruba, foreigner) to come invest? Money chases money.

As Garth says, it is one thing to say, "stay home." It is another thing to provide a man and his family economic opportunities.

Talk is cheap, as they say.

1 Like

Re: Ndigbo, It Is Time To Return Home And Develop East by aljharem3: 3:49am On Sep 28, 2011
South-East:

Hehehe. Just one out let for Dangote. The case of Dangote was actually discussed in an Igbo meeting recently as someone used him as an example of how Igbos should stop investing in the North.
What investment does Danjuma have in Igboland? Are those cattle stocked permanently in Igboland or they are moved from place to place? Please explain. Thanks. I have not seen any house in Igboland owned by a Northerner. However, I will like Igbos on here to comment on this claim.

Danjuma, Saraki, Atiku etc must not necessarily invest in "igbo land" but so long as they provide employment for the Youths of Igbo origin, then I think it is good as well.

@highlighted

You would be shocked. I don't know why you people think people don't live in the SE region . Just because people don't speak their language because SE is basically pidgin english does not mean they are Igbos. There are quiet a lot of Northerners in the SE region but business is[b] VERY VERY UNFAVOURABLE IN IGBOLAND[/b] this is due to the competitive nature of Igbos in business even if it means making a counterfeit of the product.

south-east I also have to add that Igboland is not necessary but as long is it is built in the EAST

Igboland specifically is too narrow and the land mass and population does not favour investment given that igbo people are business people, thus New Ideas are quickly over flooded with counterfeits etc.
Re: Ndigbo, It Is Time To Return Home And Develop East by Justcash(m): 3:49am On Sep 28, 2011
[b]@Poster:
I understand your point of view. However, these people that you are advising to go back home own investments back home, in the form of estates, farmlands, transport businesses etc. Most Igbos abroad bring their profits back home. Yes, they build homes and investments in other regions, but they do so to make money and return back home when they are tired of making money. While doing that, they train their children in those regions. If you ask me, I will tell you that if other regions can truly imitate Igbos in this aspect, our unity would have been a done deal and division would have been more difficult if not impossible.

More still, Nigeria is our nation and our home. Which means Igbos are investing at home. Your statement about 10% of Igbos returning home is hypocritical considering your die hard stance about one Nigeria. If the North and West are not our homes, then how come we are referred to as Nigerians? See, my friend, you should be straight about this. Like some people observed here, it is either we divide Nigeria, then you can make such suggestions, or we remain as one with the right to call everywhere in Nigeria our home. This idea of suggesting that 10% of Igbos should leave where they currently live to go and invest in their "Home" is an insult to your Hausa and Yoruba Ancestors who died to keep Nigeria as one. You are promoting division, which is equal to saying that they died in vain.

Finally, The reason why Igbos cannot come back home to invest is because the commercial environment in Igbo land is saturated. Igbos migrate to other regions to seek for competitive advantage. In the process, we have children in other regions who grow as the members of those regions and integrate into those societies. They grow feeling as members of those societies, only to be reminded by your type of suggestion that they are not and will never be members of your society. They are murdered for nothing in some cases.  My question is, why the heck are we one Nigeria if we can not mix up as Nigerians and actually eliminate the differences among us?

You need to re-orientate yourself about the meaning of unity. While doing that remember that Igbos suffered dearly for trying to stay away permanently from other regions and will not suffer a second time for trying to integrate into the same societies that they were forced to belong to. We will never suffer again because of the envy that other regions have for us. Afterall, Igbo land is more developed and self-sustaining than Hausa and Yoruba lands.[/b]
Re: Ndigbo, It Is Time To Return Home And Develop East by EkoIle1: 4:53am On Sep 28, 2011
Justcash:

[b]@Poster:
I understand your point of view. However, these people that you are advising to go back home own investments back home, in the form of estates, farmlands, transport businesses etc. Most Igbos abroad bring their profits back home. Yes, they build homes and investments in other regions, but they do so to make money and return back home when they are tired of making money. While doing that, they train their children in those regions. If you ask me, I will tell you that if other regions can truly imitate Igbos in this aspect, our unity would have been a done deal and division would have been more difficult if not impossible.

More still, Nigeria is our nation and our home. Which means Igbos are investing at home. Your statement about 10% of Igbos returning home is hypocritical considering your die hard stance about one Nigeria. If the North and West are not our homes, then how come we are referred to as Nigerians? See, my friend, you should be straight about this. Like some people observed here, it is either we divide Nigeria, then you can make such suggestions, or we remain as one with the right to call everywhere in Nigeria our home. This idea of suggesting that 10% of Igbos should leave where they currently live to go and invest in their "Home" is an insult to your Hausa and Yoruba Ancestors who died to keep Nigeria as one. You are promoting division, which is equal to saying that they died in vain.

Finally, The reason why Igbos cannot come back home to invest is because the commercial environment in Igbo land is saturated. Igbos migrate to other regions to seek for competitive advantage. In the process, we have children in other regions who grow as the members of those regions and integrate into those societies. They grow feeling as members of those societies, only to be reminded by your type of suggestion that they are not and will never be members of your society. They are murdered for nothing in some cases.  My question is, why the heck are we one Nigeria if we can not mix up as Nigerians and actually eliminate the differences among us?

You need to re-orientate yourself about the meaning of unity. While doing that remember that Igbos suffered dearly for trying to stay away permanently from other regions and will not suffer a second time for trying to integrate into the same societies that they were forced to belong to. We will never suffer again because of the envy that other regions have for us. Afterall, Igbo land is more developed and self-sustaining than Hausa and Yoruba lands.[/b]

Very corny, misguided, ill-informed and dishonest post.
Re: Ndigbo, It Is Time To Return Home And Develop East by udezue(m): 4:53am On Sep 28, 2011
I don't like NduChuks but yes he is giving Igbo morons a good advise. Stop investing in hostile regions. I will only support such investments if those Igbos have plans to take over the place and turn it into Igbo land and are ready to defend their turf and kill anyone who opposes their presence. Force Nigerians to come to the Eastern region to do business. Develop infrastructures. We can fix our own bridges, dredge our ports, etc. Btw not all Igbo men are into business. The sooner we let go off that silly stereotype the better. We are also into education and entertainment. We can also invest in our talented youths, industrial designers, doctors, engineers, biologists, scientists, architects, economists, etc. We should seek technological advancements like we did during the war. Igbo land and Eastern region must be self-reliant. We are already making big strides in agriculture but more needs to be done. Igbo land is still far more developed that many places. Calabar ppl are getting there too.
Re: Ndigbo, It Is Time To Return Home And Develop East by SouthEast1: 4:55am On Sep 28, 2011
Eko Ile:

Very corny

Is that also English language? Na waoh for some educated illiterates.
Re: Ndigbo, It Is Time To Return Home And Develop East by EkoIle1: 5:17am On Sep 28, 2011
South-East:

Is that also English language? Na waoh for some educated illiterates.

Are you telling me your are corny too? (I really think you are) Or your are just the real illiterate asking me to pay attention to your illiteracy because you don't know the meaning of [b]corny [/b]or how to use it?
Re: Ndigbo, It Is Time To Return Home And Develop East by Abagworo(m): 7:38am On Sep 28, 2011
The reason why the poster wrote this is because Nigerians are divided along a non-existent tribal line which they should try and erase.If tribalism is erased,then what Igbos are and have been doing is a welcome example for all Nigerians.

In reality I however doubt if that tribal line can be erased.The other ethnic groups invest only in their homeland and only involve themselves in moneymaking commercial or political ventures outside their region.Most Yoruba or Hausas who invested elsewhere are mainly politicians whose investment is aimed at embezzlement.The only other ethnic groups apart from Igbos who invest elsewhere are Urhobo,Edo,Ijaw and Efik/Ibibio.But Igbos still invest outside more than these others.

I can consider Igbos as being unwise because majority of us invest all the money we get at that same place we make the money even when properties are more viable in our village.An Igbo man can build a duplex in Schendam when he is from Enugu instead of just building a shop and investing the proceeds in Enugu.Me and my Yoruba friend even noticed this in Port-Harcourt.A wealthy Yorubaman in Port-Harcourt only builds one house in PH and sells it off once the commercial value rises but an Igbo man of equal wealth will own 10 houses in Lagos and will still be buying more instead of selling off and making profit or take the money elsewhere.I do not think Igbos invest there because they are more commercially viable because I have seen Igbos build houses in a place called Ifewara in Osun State where house rent is 1000 Naira per month.
Re: Ndigbo, It Is Time To Return Home And Develop East by dempeople(m): 8:31am On Sep 28, 2011
@Ndu_chucks,

Guy, its not that I think you're wrong though I think its inappropriate and offensive for you to describe ndigbo as been "killed like animals" in the north. I don't think you're wrong in the sense that if I have my way, no Igboman will live in your north. Going by your preferences, I would've preferred ALL industries belonging to ndigbo to be positioned in the SE but regrettably, it isn't possible.

But If I may ask you again, are ndigbo not Nigerians? Should they not, as Nigerians, choose to live anywhere in the country without the risks of being targeted just cos of their ethnicity?

We're all better off going our separate ways cos One Nigeria would always be an illusion, as you've rightly justified.
Re: Ndigbo, It Is Time To Return Home And Develop East by FACE(m): 8:44am On Sep 28, 2011
People who invest anywhere know the risks involved so there is no need to cry for them. It's a game of choice; if they win , they win and so be it if they lose as well.

Ndu_Chucks, there is some truth in some parts of your post, but I am still skeptical about your intentions going by your antics.
Re: Ndigbo, It Is Time To Return Home And Develop East by Onlytruth(m): 8:52am On Sep 28, 2011
Posted by: Abagworo

The reason why the poster wrote this is because Nigerians are divided along a non-existent tribal line which they should try and erase.If tribalism is erased,then what Igbos are and have been doing is a welcome example for all Nigerians.

In reality I however doubt if that tribal line can be erased.The other ethnic groups invest only in their homeland and only involve themselves in moneymaking commercial or political ventures outside their region.Most Yoruba or Hausas who invested elsewhere are mainly politicians whose investment is aimed at embezzlement.The only other ethnic groups apart from Igbos who invest elsewhere are Urhobo,Edo,Ijaw and Efik/Ibibio.But Igbos still invest outside more than these others.

I can consider Igbos as being unwise because majority of us invest all the money we get at that same place we make the money even when properties are more viable in our village.An Igbo man can build a duplex in Schendam when he is from Enugu instead of just building a shop and investing the proceeds in Enugu.[/b]Me and my Yoruba friend even noticed this in Port-Harcourt.A wealthy Yorubaman in Port-Harcourt only builds one house in PH and sells it off once the commercial value rises but an Igbo man of equal wealth will own 10 houses in Lagos and will still be buying more instead of selling off and making profit or take the money elsewhere.I do not think Igbos invest there because they are more commercially viable because[b] I have seen Igbos build houses in a place called Ifewara in Osun State where house rent is 1000 Naira per month.

I also think that "political illiteracy" is one of Igbo mans biggest problems. I say this because an average Igboman in ranking factors that determine where he puts his money, political factors rank least. As always every other factor takes priority. I'll give you an example of one of my cousins who built a mansion in the village (nnewi), but rents in Lagos. He used to always lament to me that he "wasted money" building the house. According to him, if he had built that house in Lagos, he would be raking in money.
Over the past few years though, he has recanted and now is overjoyed by his decision to build in SE because he frequents home these days and is well respected at home. Because he built that house, business men (some of who do business in other parts of the Nigeria and the world) always trust him with money and invest in his business, because every Christman holiday most of them return home, and you are weighed according to the type of a house yu built in the village. In essence, the village is the business networking base! cool
Re: Ndigbo, It Is Time To Return Home And Develop East by Onlytruth(m): 8:56am On Sep 28, 2011
, . And the fastest way to become an efulefu in Nnewi is not to build a house at home.
No matter how much you have outside, nobody takes you serious in village meetings. cool
Re: Ndigbo, It Is Time To Return Home And Develop East by Onlytruth(m): 9:02am On Sep 28, 2011
So, if you own a house in the SE, it makes it easy to control more money than you ordinarily would, because Ndigbo always return home for Christmas. That is an opportunity to meet guys based outside.
I'm giving some of you the inside scoop of how we do it.

Now, go and make hay!

@topic,
I suspect that when Igbo people open their eyes to the foolishness of building outside Igboland, a huge transformation will happen in Nigeria. It may not benefit others, but hey, everyman to himself is an old human philosophy.
Re: Ndigbo, It Is Time To Return Home And Develop East by Onlytruth(m): 9:09am On Sep 28, 2011
When it comes to the bigger picture about what needs to happen to help Ndigbo focus more on SE zone, the SE governors can make a huge impact.

This is the area where I wish that there is a Soludo in one of the governors seats in SE.
He is a man with that type of vision.

Peter Obi is also capable of such vision, but he would be too conservative with the design. We need a MEGA business and economic development agenda for SE zone.
Only then can our folks (both politically literate and otherwise) return en masse.

BTW, I ain't buying no damn land anywhere outside Igboland.
Ain't happening. cool
Re: Ndigbo, It Is Time To Return Home And Develop East by nolongTing: 9:21am On Sep 28, 2011
I want to ask a few Objective questions:

1.  How many jobs to Igbo businesses create in other regions?
2.  Are most Igbo business operations sole traders selling imported or cheaply made goods?
3.  Do these traders pay their taxes?
4.  What is the GDP per capita of the SE states?
5.  Are the governors in the SE providing an enabling environment for Business to thrive?
Re: Ndigbo, It Is Time To Return Home And Develop East by Onlytruth(m): 9:30am On Sep 28, 2011
So, @Ndigbo, it is better you build that house in Onitsha, or Owerri or any of the SE cities, because you would be in poll position when the boom begins.

Why am I even giving y'all all these business intelligence sef?grin hehe.

Anyway, I do so in the spirit of "onye aghana nwanne ya". cool
Re: Ndigbo, It Is Time To Return Home And Develop East by Onlytruth(m): 9:33am On Sep 28, 2011
BTW does anyone know the stage of the New Anam City project?

Re: Ndigbo, It Is Time To Return Home And Develop East by Onlytruth(m): 9:36am On Sep 28, 2011

Re: Ndigbo, It Is Time To Return Home And Develop East by Onlytruth(m): 9:37am On Sep 28, 2011

Re: Ndigbo, It Is Time To Return Home And Develop East by Onlytruth(m): 9:42am On Sep 28, 2011

Re: Ndigbo, It Is Time To Return Home And Develop East by Onlytruth(m): 9:47am On Sep 28, 2011

Re: Ndigbo, It Is Time To Return Home And Develop East by Onlytruth(m): 9:48am On Sep 28, 2011

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Nigeria’s Attorney General, Bello Adoke’s Mansions In London, Dubai Uncovered / Buhari: Protecting The Incoming President And Government / The Thread For Nigerian Ethnic Minorities

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 126
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.