Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,568 members, 7,812,837 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 08:22 PM

Ndigbo, It Is Time To Return Home And Develop East - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ndigbo, It Is Time To Return Home And Develop East (4783 Views)

Buni Yadi Residents Return Home Years After Boko Haram Attacks / See Reactions Of People When IPOB Tells Igbos Living In The North To Return Home / Patience Jonathan To Return Home - SaharaReporters (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ndigbo, It Is Time To Return Home And Develop East by Onlytruth(m): 9:51am On Sep 28, 2011
Umunne m, if each state in SE zone designs and implements at least one project similar to this Anam New City, I boldly state that Ndi be anyi ga eji ngenge oso wee lachigha na ala Igbo.  cool
Re: Ndigbo, It Is Time To Return Home And Develop East by Onlytruth(m): 9:52am On Sep 28, 2011
I rest my case.
Re: Ndigbo, It Is Time To Return Home And Develop East by nolongTing: 9:55am On Sep 28, 2011
[size=13pt]I want to ask a few Objective questions:

1.  How many jobs to Igbo businesses create in other regions?
2.  Are most Igbo business operations sole traders selling imported or cheaply made goods?
3.  Do these traders pay their taxes?
4.  What is the GDP per capita of the SE states?
5.  Are the governors in the SE providing an enabling environment for Business to thrive?
[/size]
Re: Ndigbo, It Is Time To Return Home And Develop East by nusdog: 9:59am On Sep 28, 2011
There's nothing wrong in an Igbo building just ONE house in the zone where he lives. It's better than and more dignifying than paying rent.

But if you know what you are doing, you can build more than one to sell off and build bigger properties in the SE. Thats if it's not a death zone.

I intend erecting shopping malls in Aba and Enugu sometime in the future.
Re: Ndigbo, It Is Time To Return Home And Develop East by Onlytruth(m): 10:03am On Sep 28, 2011
Posted by: nusdog

There's nothing wrong in an Igbo building just ONE house in the zone where he lives. It's better than and more dignifying than paying rent.

But if you know what you are doing, you can build to sell off and build bigger properties in the SE.

I intend erecting shopping malls in Aba and Enugu sometime in the future.

If the house is small, then it would be easy to sell off or dispose of it.
Most of the time though, folks forget our past and start building profusely.

One or two bedroom bungalow or shack may do outside Igboland. cool
Build that mansion in the East.
Re: Ndigbo, It Is Time To Return Home And Develop East by Onlytruth(m): 10:05am On Sep 28, 2011
[size=16pt]And brothers, please ignore all the jealous goats milling around here. [/size] cool
Re: Ndigbo, It Is Time To Return Home And Develop East by nusdog: 10:30am On Sep 28, 2011
Onlytruth:

Posted by: nusdog
If the house is small, then it would be easy to sell off or dispose of it.
Most of the time though, folks forget our past and start building profusely.

One or two bedroom bungalow or shack may do outside Igboland. cool
Build that mansion in the East.

I really agree with you on it being a low budget, small house outside Igboland. Just one for your personal use.

Any thing extra should be in Alaigbo.
Re: Ndigbo, It Is Time To Return Home And Develop East by Adonike(m): 10:38am On Sep 28, 2011
Well said!
Re: Ndigbo, It Is Time To Return Home And Develop East by SouthEast1: 2:39pm On Sep 28, 2011
Eko Ile:

Are you telling me your are corny too? (I really think you are) Or your are just the real illiterate asking me to pay attention to your illiteracy because you don't know the meaning of [b]corny [/b]or how to use it?

Okay!! Sit yourself. I just don't want to derail this thread. So let's leave that for now.
Re: Ndigbo, It Is Time To Return Home And Develop East by nduchucks: 3:21pm On Sep 28, 2011
dem_people:

@Ndu_chucks,

Guy, its not that I think you're wrong though I think its inappropriate and offensive for you to describe ndigbo as been "killed like animals" in the north. I don't think you're wrong in the sense that if I have my way, no Igboman will live in your north. Going by your preferences, I would've preferred ALL industries belonging to ndigbo to be positioned in the SE but regrettably, it isn't possible.

But If I may ask you again, are ndigbo not Nigerians? Should they not, as Nigerians, choose to live anywhere in the country without the risks of being targeted just cos of their ethnicity?

We're all better off going our separate ways cos One Nigeria would always be an illusion, as you've rightly justified.
Why is it inappropriate to state that Igbos have been killed like animals? Do you find that truth inconvenient?  We should never  shy away from the truth because the truth will always set us free. BTW, I was not calling for Igbos to pack up and return to the East en mass, I only stated that if 10% of Igbo owned businesses in the North were based in the East, the East would be better off. You know it and I know it.

I have more than a casual interest in the East, I have business interests and partners in that region and I weep for the condition of the region, a condition which could improve drastically by the action I am suggesting.

I disagree with you that we are better off going our separate ways. Let me add here that the vast majority of my business partners in the East, Igbo leaders, and Igbo youths do not subscribe to the idea of  going our separate ways. You, my friend, are in the minority.
Finally, I have to admit that without the resourcefulness of Igbos, evident in every region in Nigeria, Nigeria will be done for. By the same token, without the North, the Eastern region would have been decimated by expansionists, land grabbers, and head hunters from the East alike. The Ijaws, and other minority groups would have probably become extinct by now.  We all need each other,  I fervently believe that To Keep Nigeria One  Is A Task That Must Be Done. shikena

@FACE, try not to be still skeptical about my intentions because of what you erroneously believe to be unfriendly antics. I’d recommend that you read my post without any strings attached.

@Onlytruth, get your fat A$$ out of America and come and implement these great development ideas of yours, olodo
Re: Ndigbo, It Is Time To Return Home And Develop East by Dede1(m): 3:24pm On Sep 28, 2011
@POST

I do not know the motivating factors that spurred the author to write the piece. However, I tend to agree with the author on certain issues raised. If the author is genuinely real, he or she would have highlighted major economic infrastructures painfully missing in Alaigbo that leverage business activities in other regions. Ndigbo would have stayed home in the east if there were functional gateways out of Nigeria in the region. Since such economic amenities are pitifully lacking in east, Ndigbo had no options but to swim along the deceitful jargon such as One-Nigeria.
Re: Ndigbo, It Is Time To Return Home And Develop East by nduchucks: 3:47pm On Sep 28, 2011
Dede1:

@POST

I do not know the motivating factors that spurred the author to write the piece. However, I tend to agree with the author on certain issues raised. If the author is genuinely real, he or she would have highlighted major economic infrastructures painfully missing in Alaigbo that leverage business activities in other regions. Ndigbo would have stayed home in the east if there were functional gateways out of Nigeria in the region. Since such economic amenities are pitifully lacking in east, Ndigbo had no options but to swim along the deceitful jargon such as One-Nigeria.

I agree with you that some major economic infrastructure may be missing in Alaigbo, but we cannot continue to use this old copout as an excuse. I have seen my Igbo brothers build huge shopping malls in places that have less economic structures and resources than in Alaigbo. Additionally, the governors of the area have received nothing less than $100billion in allocation over the past few years, could they not have earmarked just 10% of that money for infrastructure. We can’t keep passing the buck to the federal government, after all the federal government pays the governments of the region $billion every year.

I mean, the feds have ignored their responsibilities of maintaining and constructing ‘federal’ roads in the region for years. Is that not enough signal to indicate that our state governments must tell the feds to get lost and do the needful themselves?

It is time that Igbo Investors partner with state governments and do the needful. BTW there is nothing deceitful about what you call ‘jargon’ such as one Nigeria. I declare to you today that, Insha Allah, our dear nation will be great once again. Regardless of what naysayers and awon olote believe.

PS. the motivating factor which made me open this thread is Love for the country and Ndigbo.
Re: Ndigbo, It Is Time To Return Home And Develop East by ak47mann(m): 3:47pm On Sep 28, 2011
Dede1:

@POST

^^^
EXACTLY no good roads for transportation of good,no sea port in fact  no infrastructure  in place for igbos in SE so if the region lacks all these amenities and a country like Nigeria which their is nothing good to talk about you can see why,
Re: Ndigbo, It Is Time To Return Home And Develop East by SouthEast1: 4:10pm On Sep 28, 2011
Ndu Chuks (fake Igbo man):

Except for your mention of crime (because Igboland is not the most criminal part of Nigeria- other areas that you want Igbos to stop ''developing'' are also kidnapping and ritual infested), I find it hard to argue with your initial post. However, I think there is far more than meets the eye on the penchant of Igbos to invest almost anywhere else except in Igboland. This has been happening even before crime or unemployment became an issue. Recall that Ojukwu's father, the first Nigerian millionaire had most of his investments outside Igboland. Many notable Igbos were born outside Igboland where their parents resided and did business even when there was no competition from other Igbos. I believe it has to do with some[b] kind of culture[/b] that crept in when Nigeria came together as a country and Igbos began exploring far-flung places. That culture must be reevaluated at this time.
Re: Ndigbo, It Is Time To Return Home And Develop East by nduchucks: 4:19pm On Sep 28, 2011
South-East:

Except for your mention of crime (because Igboland is not the most criminal part of Nigeria- other areas that you want Igbos to stop ''developing'' are also kidnapping and ritual infested), I find it hard to argue with your initial post. However, I think there is far more than meets the eye on the penchant of Igbos to invest almost anywhere else except in Igboland. This has been happening even before crime or unemployment became an issue. Recall that Ojukwu's father, the first Nigerian millionaire had most of his investments outside Igboland. Many notable Igbos were born outside Igboland where their parents resided and did business even when there was no competition from other Igbos. I believe it has to do with some[b] kind of culture[/b] that crept in when Nigeria came together as a country and Igbos began exploring far-flung places. That culture must be reevaluated at this time.

What is the matter with you people and juvenile name calling? I forgive you sha, since the rest your contribution as shown in the above post is not juvenile as well. ma fi iso kinkini ba'idi je (make you no take fart reduce the glory of yansh) olodo
Re: Ndigbo, It Is Time To Return Home And Develop East by SouthEast1: 4:23pm On Sep 28, 2011
ndu_chucks:

What is the matter with you people and juvenile name calling? I forgive you sha, since the rest your contribution as shown in the above post is not juvenile as well. ma fi iso kinkini ba'idi je (make you no take fart reduce the glory of yansh) olodo

Okay!! Practice what you preach by not calling anyone olodo. Anyways, I will like a direct response to my point above. Ignore the name-calling for now. Thanks

Some of us have been hammering along this line in the past, here on NL and in real life.
You may well contribute to this point which is somewhat similar https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-770063.0.html
Re: Ndigbo, It Is Time To Return Home And Develop East by ChinenyeN(m): 4:34pm On Sep 28, 2011
I don't like ndu_chucks because of the way he talks 'One Naija' as if I'm supposed to care, but he speaks the truth. It's time Igbo people stop being dumb. Return home.

By the way, I cannot lie, that Anam project looks real nice on paper.
Re: Ndigbo, It Is Time To Return Home And Develop East by Dede1(m): 4:46pm On Sep 28, 2011
ndu_chucks:

I agree with you that some major economic infrastructure may be missing in Alaigbo, but we cannot continue to use this old copout as an excuse. I have seen my Igbo brothers build huge shopping malls in places that have less economic structures and resources than in Alaigbo. Additionally, the governors of the area have received nothing less than $100billion in allocation over the past few years, could they not have earmarked just 10% of that money for infrastructure. We can’t keep passing the buck to the federal government, after all the federal government pays the governments of the region $billion every year.

I mean, the feds have ignored their responsibilities of maintaining and constructing ‘federal’ roads in the region for years. Is that not enough signal to indicate that our state governments must tell the feds to get lost and do the needful themselves?

It is time that Igbo Investors partner with state governments and do the needful. BTW there is nothing deceitful about what you call ‘jargon’ such as one Nigeria. I declare to you today that, Insha Allah, our dear nation will be great once again. Regardless of what naysayers and awon olote believe.

PS. the motivating factor which made me open this thread is Love for the country and Ndigbo.

I am not a business man by any stretch of imagine. However, I have hung around business men in New York who do not think about Port Harcourt or any facility in eastern region when talking about shipping.

Even casual travelers would have more readily available tickets at minimal rates to Lagos or Abuja than Port Harcourt. To secure seat on Port Harcourt bound flights from the only two major air lines sectioned to touched down in eastern region of Nigeria without mid-trip transfers is so difficult and not suited for frequent flier precipitate business person.

It will amount to deliberate waste of time and bandwidth talking about lack of federal responsibilities of network of roads and other social amenities in the east.
Re: Ndigbo, It Is Time To Return Home And Develop East by nduchucks: 4:47pm On Sep 28, 2011
South-East:

Okay!! Practice what you preach by not calling anyone olodo. Anyways, I will like a direct response to my point above. Ignore the name-calling for now. Thanks

Some of us have been hammering along this line in the past, here on NL and in real life.
You may well contribute to this point which is somewhat similar https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-770063.0.html

I did not intend to insinuate that Igboland is the most criminal part of Nigeria by any means, I’m afraid that your own bias implanted that notion in your mind. The relevant point is that, crimes are reduced when potential criminals are employed.
Your point as to the reason why Igbos invest far away from the East is well taken, after all an investor should naturally be attracted to areas where his profit would be maximized so that he/she can significantly increase shareholder value.  All I am say is that some of Igbo investors need to start aggressively investing in the East and partner with state governments to develop the region.

Some Igbo friends I know are currently working to invest in the power generation industry and possibly power distribution as well, with their base located in the East.  Nnaji is in charge of power, enough pressure and lobbying should be applied on him and his office to ensure that some of the power generation capacity is located in the East. No one will develop the East but Ndigbo, its time to shine eyes very well. Pressure should be applied on Madam Ngozi as well to ensure that she not only take care of the needs of our debt holders but those of Ndigbo.  Ati be be lo – etc etc

P.S. olodo is a term of endearment  from my perspective.  Trust me, if I want to abuse you, you  it will be very clear.  Surely you skin is thicker than this, we call you people, aje’kuta ma munmi (person wey fit eat stone without drinking water) , don’t disappoint me with this wusie fear of a harmless word like olodo.

ChinenyeN:

I don't like ndu_chucks because of the way he talks 'One Naija' as if I'm supposed to care, but he speaks the truth. It's time Igbo people stop being dumb. Return home.

By the way, I cannot lie, that Anam project looks real nice on paper.

nwannem, how is it possible not to like Ndu_chucks, ehn? Anyway, me I have nothing but love for you people.
Re: Ndigbo, It Is Time To Return Home And Develop East by SouthEast1: 4:56pm On Sep 28, 2011
ndu_chucks:

I did not intend to insinuate that Igboland is the most criminal part of Nigeria by any means, I’m afraid that your own bias implanted that notion in your mind. The relevant point is that, crimes are reduced when potential criminals are employed.
Your point as to the reason why Igbos invest far away from the East is well taken, after all an investor should naturally be attracted to areas where his profit would be maximized so that he/she can significantly increase shareholder value.  All I am say is that some of Igbo investors need to start aggressively investing in the East and partner with state governments to develop the region.

Some Igbo friends I know are currently working to invest in the power generation industry and possibly power distribution as well, with their base located in the East.  Nnaji is in charge of power, enough pressure and lobbying should be applied on him and his office to ensure that some of the power generation capacity is located in the East. No one will develop the East but Ndigbo, its time to shine eyes very well. Pressure should be applied on Madam Ngozi as well to ensure that she not only take care of the needs of our debt holders but those of Ndigbo.  Ati be be lo – etc etc

P.S. olodo is a term of endearment  from my perspective.  Trust me, if I want to abuse you, you  it will be very clear.  Surely you skin is thicker than this, we call you people, aje’kuta ma munmi (person wey fit eat stone without drinking water) , don’t disappoint me with this wusie fear of a harmless word like olodo.

nwannem, how is it possible not to like Ndu_chucks, ehn? Anyway, me I have nothing but love for you people.

But this (boldened) cannot be discussed in isolation. Has crime reduced in other parts of Nigeria where you want Igbos to develop less? What is the employment situation in those places compared to Igboland? We need to get the big picture before we can conclude. On other points, yes you are largely correct. I am also fully aware of the moves for improved power generation by some Igbos. But note that Nnaji is not working for Igbos; he is working for Nigeria whose president is not even Igbo. So he can only do so much. Unless you are insinuating that people in power should work for their people and disregard others.
Re: Ndigbo, It Is Time To Return Home And Develop East by nduchucks: 4:57pm On Sep 28, 2011
Dede1:

I am not a business man by any stretch of imagine. However, I have hung around business men in New York who do not think about Port Harcourt or any facility in eastern region when talking about shipping.

Even casual travelers would have more readily available tickets minimal rates to Lagos or Abuja than Port Harcourt. To secure seat on Port Harcourt bound flights from the only two major air lines sectioned to touched down in eastern region of Nigeria without mid-trip transfers is so difficult and not suited for frequent flier precipitate business person.

It will amount to deliberate waste of time and bandwidth talking about lack of federal responsibilities of network of roads and other social amenities in the east.

Ezeokwu!!!  You have said nothing but the truth. What you described above is a complete failure and disgraceful if not criminal, act by federal government agents. The sad part about it is that, even when Igbo men were in charge of the ministries which could make a difference in the matter, nothing happened.  Those in charge simply continued with the customary theft of our resources without doing their duties.  

I do believe that the Eastern/Southern  governors can work hand in hand with deep pocketed national and international investors to change the situation in just 3 -5 years time. The time to act is now.
Re: Ndigbo, It Is Time To Return Home And Develop East by nduchucks: 5:04pm On Sep 28, 2011
South-East:

But this (boldened) cannot be discussed in isolation. Has crime reduced in other parts of Nigeria where you want Igbos to develop less? What is the employment situation in those places compared to Igboland? We need to get the big picture before we can conclude. On other points, yes you are largely correct. I am also fully aware of the moves for improved power generation by some Igbos. But note that Nnaji is not working for Igbos; he is working for Nigeria whose president is not even Igbo. So he can only do so much. Unless you are insinuating that people in power should work for their people and disregard others.

The focus of my first post was not crime reduction and as I stated earlier, potential criminals who are employed tend not to act out their criminal objectives.

Note that, in a democracy, interest groups are well advised to lobby agencies because those agencies, ideally, must allocate those resources based on subjective priorities in many cases.  If Ndigbo refuses to lobby Nnaji, one way or the other, to allocate some of the resources in his disposal, towards projects in the East, I'm afraid those resources will be allocated elsewhere, including into the pockets of known rogues who, hitherto have been doing all the lobbying.
Re: Ndigbo, It Is Time To Return Home And Develop East by SouthEast1: 5:11pm On Sep 28, 2011
ndu_chucks:

The focus of my first post was not crime reduction and as I stated earlier, potential criminals who are employed tend not to act out their criminal objectives.

Note that, in a democracy, interest groups are well advised to lobby agencies because those agencies, ideally, must allocate those resources based on subjective priorities in many cases.  If Ndigbo refuses to lobby Nnaji, one way or the other, to allocate some of the resources in his disposal, towards projects in the East, I'm afraid those resources will be allocated elsewhere, including into the pockets of known rogues who, hitherto have been doing all the lobbying. 

Does that (boldened) work in Nigeria the way it does in the US? I know that the FEC meets every once a week to discus and allocate resources. From what we read, we have seen how they share the money- almost always every region is touched, piecemealy.

The systematic decimation of federal presence in the East began with the military regimes where no FEC meeting is needed to share allocations. It will take a fiat (not a naija-type FEC democracy) to redress the mess and let the East catch up with the rest of the country per federal presence. BTW, the same scenario as in Igboland plays out in Akwa Ibom, Cross Rivers, Delta and Bayelsa where little or no fed presence can be felt.
Re: Ndigbo, It Is Time To Return Home And Develop East by ChinenyeN(m): 5:19pm On Sep 28, 2011
ndu_chucks:

I guess it's just what you represent. Not that you're a bad person or anything like that (I wouldn't know). Anyway, let me not derail this good topic.
Re: Ndigbo, It Is Time To Return Home And Develop East by Abagworo(m): 5:41pm On Sep 28, 2011
South-East:

Very true but I don't know the origin of that culture.The great Zik was born and brought up in Zungeru and so many Igbos were said to own properties in the North and West before independence.It is therefore not because of poor infrastructure but poor investment culture.
Re: Ndigbo, It Is Time To Return Home And Develop East by SouthEast1: 5:53pm On Sep 28, 2011
Abagworo:

Very true but I don't know the origin of that culture.The great Zik was born and brought up in Zungeru and so many Igbos were said to own properties in the North and West before independence.It is therefore not because of poor infrastructure but poor investment culture.

Thanks. That should put paid to the claims that people do not invest in the East because of no returns or profitability. Those who did make their profits and that is why the private businesses there are doing okay, and in some case even better compared to elsewhere. I also somehow agree with someone who stated here that the inability of Igbos themselves to invest massively in their land is a discouragement for non-Igbos to do so. My questions now are (1) what primed Igbos even before independence to neglect investing in Igboland and instead doing so elsewhere? (2) Why did later-day Igbo investors take the same approach? (3) What can be done to stem it? (4) Is it just merely a coincidence such that Igbos not investing in Igboland are those who live outside Igboland? (5) Do we have Igbos resident permanently in Igboland but whose investments are largely outside Igboland?
Re: Ndigbo, It Is Time To Return Home And Develop East by nduchucks: 5:28pm On Dec 09, 2011
The topic of this thread has just gained another level of relevance given the recent happenings in Kaduna. He who has ears let him/her hear.
Re: Ndigbo, It Is Time To Return Home And Develop East by jason123: 5:32pm On Dec 09, 2011
^^^

Atleast u warned!
Re: Ndigbo, It Is Time To Return Home And Develop East by bashr8: 7:12pm On Dec 09, 2011
and who told you igboland is not developed? name any region more developed than igbo land ,goat chewing nama, all statistics hav shown igboland to be far ahead of other regions so stop deluding yourselves, those people you see would have become almajiros, agberos and alayes if they were hausa or yoruba.
nigeria is up for grabs and ndigbo will get every single bite of it till nothing is left, every single structure,house, hotel etc roung nigeria will be owned by igbos after all if we dont do it the chinese, europeans ,americans,lebanese and indians will.
Re: Ndigbo, It Is Time To Return Home And Develop East by bashr8: 7:14pm On Dec 09, 2011
what igboland lacks is federal government investment and not private investments ,get your facts right.
Re: Ndigbo, It Is Time To Return Home And Develop East by nduchucks: 7:20pm On Dec 09, 2011
bashr8:

stop deluding yourselves, those people you see would have become almajiros, agberos and alayes if they were hausa or yoruba.
nigeria is up for grabs and ndigbo will get every single bite of it till nothing is left, every single structure,house, hotel etc roung nigeria will be owned by igbos after all if we dont do it the chinese, europeans ,americans,lebanese and indians will.

NL has a way of smoking out these ranting ants from their holes. What a brainless bigot!! I bet you the only thing you have personally succeeded in grabbing in Nigeria is a nullity. olodo c.um intellectual midget.

haba, I used the legitimate word c.um in the right context and the bot changed it to "precipitate" cheesy
Re: Ndigbo, It Is Time To Return Home And Develop East by bashr8: 7:25pm On Dec 09, 2011
ndu_chucks:

NL has a way of smoking out these ranting ants from their holes. What a brainless bigot!! I bet you the only thing you have personally succeeded in grabbing in Nigeria is a nullity. olodo c.um intellectual midget.

haba, I used the legitimate word c.um in the right context and the bot changed it to "precipitate" cheesy

next time you want to open such silly threads make sure you have your facts right , maybe you can tell me why 90 percent of northerners are living in abject poverty. in a sane world you and your leaders will be grateful to those igbos for at least bringing economic activities to your region but of course na only to chew grass and carry dagger u sabi.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Abia To Construct 8,500 Housing Units For Civil Servants / Bola Tinubu Moves To Banana Island / Check Out Farouk Lawan's Young Wife

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.