Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,825 members, 7,956,121 topics. Date: Monday, 23 September 2024 at 03:32 AM

Mimiko, Obi To Presidency: Let Nigerians Discuss True Federalism - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Mimiko, Obi To Presidency: Let Nigerians Discuss True Federalism (1009 Views)

2016 Budget: Breakdown Of Sums Allocated To Presidency, Mdas, Others / Yoruba Leaders Insist On True Federalism- SS/biafra's False Impression debunked / Buhari Can’t Ride On Tinubu’s Back To Presidency (Pics)–guru Maharaj Ji (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Mimiko, Obi To Presidency: Let Nigerians Discuss True Federalism by ak47mann(m): 2:51am On Sep 28, 2011
Ondo State Governor Olusegun Mimiko and his Anambra State counterpart Mr. Peter Obi, yesterday asked the Federal Government to allow Nigerians to discuss whether they want true federalism or not.
Obi also explained why the governors are opposed to the Sovereign Wealth Fund (SWF)
The two governors said the continuing imbalance in the operation of the Federal system of government has become a threat to good governance and enduring democracy.
The governors spoke at the presentation of the ‘Nigeria Golden Book’ by The Sun Publishing Ltd. in Abuja.
In his keynote address, Mimiko said the present scenario of overbearing centre and weak federating units cannot augur well for democracy in Nigeria.
To correct the imbalances, he asked President Goodluck Jonathan to rise up to the occasion and go beyond the ‘lukewarm’ attitudes of past leaders and tackle squarely true federalism.
According to him, the starting point is a genuine review of the 1999 Constitution and putting in place a mechanism that will ensure genuine participation of all stakeholders in the process.
He said: “Today there is an overbearing centre, with beggarly and weak federating units. We agree that this can never augur well for comprehensive and sustainable good governance and enduring democracy.
“We require purposeful leadership to reverse this situation and President Goodluck Jonathan should brace up to this challenge as a departure from the lukewarm attitude of previous leaders to the issue of true federalism. History beckons.”
On security, he said: “Today, we run a centralised security system that impedes the gathering of intelligence and control of crime. It is a known fact that each society has a way of handling its deviants and miscreants.”
“It is through the institutionalisation of local, community and communal means of apprehending and managing such that true security could be guaranteed. Only the review of the Constitution to allow the establishment of state police can move us at the right speed in combating crimes.
He maintained that do-or-die approach to election and electoral matters in Nigeria has resulted in proliferation of light arms and militarisation of the civil society.
“What must be said, though in passing, is that even Labour unions have become affected by the militaristic approach to issues. Such use of language as ‘with immediate effect,’ ‘now or never,’ ‘act now or face the consequence’ and others like them have found their ways into the lexicon of labour relations and actions such that issues that could be resolved easily have become points on which strike actions have been hinged.
“The emergence of ethnic militias and of recent religious groups with either expansionist or disintegrative agenda can also be traced to the disposition of political elite to violence. Above all, the people themselves are fast becoming so alienated from their own governance that they see government as an outsider to be milked and pillaged. Those who steal barefacedly are celebrated as heroes in many instances and rewarded with chieftaincy titles in others.”
Obi said Nigerians must be allowed to discuss whether they want true federalism or not.
He also explained why governors are opposed to the Sovereign Wealth Fund (SWF).
The governor said the governors have fears that the funds might either be mismanaged or it might disappear one day.
Obi said: “Nobody can build this country for us except we do it. I agree entirely that we need to talk. That is the only way we can build a nation.
We never sat anywhere to make this Constitution, it was foisted on us. Not that we, the people, drafted the Constitution, somebody handed it over to us and we are just doing amendments.
“When we talk about true federalism, it is critical. We are either a Federation or not. Let us state where we are and once we state it, people will have respect for us.
“There are so many issues to talk about. We have issues of state creation, Sovereign Wealth Fund, Joint Account, and so on.
“I don’t think people are against SWF. People get apprehensive because before you know it, the SWF becomes another thing or we start looking for it. It is the issue of trust. So, if we are sure, we will support.
“I believe there is need to discuss. This country has been abused enough. And the society we abuse today will take its revenge tomorrow. So, let us talk.
“You say we are a Federation. While I sit in Anambra State, somebody will give an order to me on what to do. Take the issue of the N18, 000 minimum wage; it is not linked to productivity or GDP.
“In many countries, they don’t talk of minimum wage. There is no minimum wage in China, Malaysia or even America where we copied our presidential system of government we are now using.
“Each state sets its wage structure in America. The budget of New York is over $200b; the budget of California is over $300b.
“Wage is not a buffet, it is ala carte. We are not against increase in wage; we are only saying that in doing it, certain things must be taken into consideration based on the economy of the state. There are states in Nigeria earning more than the whole states in the Southeast.
“I paid the minimum wage out of pain. I am now using 75 per cent of the resources of the state to service 15,000 workers whereas Anambra State has about five million people.”

THE NATION

Re: Mimiko, Obi To Presidency: Let Nigerians Discuss True Federalism by aljharem3: 3:03am On Sep 28, 2011
Federalism is a good idea but I hope it would not create secessionist groups

Also how many regions would it be, certainly not 6 regions

either 4, 3 or 2

4 ways which is the west, east, NW and NE

3. The north, west and east

2. North and south
Re: Mimiko, Obi To Presidency: Let Nigerians Discuss True Federalism by ak47mann(m): 3:11am On Sep 28, 2011
What Nigeria needs now is a true federalism it will not create any secession rather giving states more chances to develop with the capacity of what they have within their domain.I think is going to bring peace and prosperity and as we stands now Federal govt can not fix our problem alone,
Re: Mimiko, Obi To Presidency: Let Nigerians Discuss True Federalism by ektbear: 3:18am On Sep 28, 2011
Nice post.

I agree with their call for federalism. A constitutional conference would be wonderful.

ak47mann:

He also explained why governors are opposed to the Sovereign Wealth Fund (SWF).
The governor said the governors have fears that the funds might either be mismanaged or it might disappear one day.
Indeed. It is a good idea, but it should come out of federal funds, not state funds.

“I paid the minimum wage out of pain. I am now using 75 per cent of the resources of the state to service 15,000 workers whereas Anambra State has about five million people.”
The federal minimum wage never made sense to me either.
Re: Mimiko, Obi To Presidency: Let Nigerians Discuss True Federalism by ak47mann(m): 3:33am On Sep 28, 2011
ekt_bear:

Nice post.

I agree with their call for federalism. A constitutional conference would be wonderful.
Indeed. It is a good idea, but it should come out of federal funds, not state funds.

you are right i hope it becomes reality cool
Re: Mimiko, Obi To Presidency: Let Nigerians Discuss True Federalism by arsenefc: 3:37am On Sep 28, 2011
ekt_bear:

The federal minimum wage never made sense to me either.

I am sure the hardworking people earning minimum wage, while slaving away their future and that of their children, would agree with you.

Th viciousness of your NL animus toward the indigent is breathtaking, and down right pathetic.
Re: Mimiko, Obi To Presidency: Let Nigerians Discuss True Federalism by aljharem3: 3:38am On Sep 28, 2011
arsenefc:

I am sure the hardworking people earning minimum wage, while slaving away their future and that of their children, would agree with you.

Th viciousness of your NL animus toward the indigent is breathtaking, and down right pathetic.

fstranger grin grin u don start again o
Re: Mimiko, Obi To Presidency: Let Nigerians Discuss True Federalism by ektbear: 3:38am On Sep 28, 2011
Why is this animal following me around?

Begone! Vamoose!
Re: Mimiko, Obi To Presidency: Let Nigerians Discuss True Federalism by arsenefc: 3:40am On Sep 28, 2011
alj_harem:

fstranger grin grin u don start again o

Hey Alhaji, dont mind that nama

How body and wifeys
Re: Mimiko, Obi To Presidency: Let Nigerians Discuss True Federalism by ektbear: 3:49am On Sep 28, 2011
Hehe

At least you were wise enough to edit your post.

Don't let those you mentioned and claimed to have defeated ever find you made that statement.

All three of them would beat you like you stole something grin grin grin
Re: Mimiko, Obi To Presidency: Let Nigerians Discuss True Federalism by umechuma: 3:55am On Sep 28, 2011
Northerners are afraid of true federalism in Nigeria because it will further lead to backwardness of the North.The North is an economic parasite to Nigeria.
Re: Mimiko, Obi To Presidency: Let Nigerians Discuss True Federalism by arsenefc: 3:59am On Sep 28, 2011
umechuma:

Northerners are afraid of true federalism in Nigeria because it will further lead to backwardness of the North.The North is an economic parasite to Nigeria.

Just dont say it to their face, coward.

BTW, just a bit of history, Northerners were the first set of people to advocate against "one Nigeria."

The opponents of True federalism arent just northerners, they include very well respected southerners as well . This is not a North/South issue. There are dangers and real concerns.
Re: Mimiko, Obi To Presidency: Let Nigerians Discuss True Federalism by aljharem3: 3:59am On Sep 28, 2011
arsenefc:

Hey Alhaji, dont mind that nama

How body and wifeys
grin grin grin body dey

a beg leave ekt-bear alone
Re: Mimiko, Obi To Presidency: Let Nigerians Discuss True Federalism by aljharem3: 4:02am On Sep 28, 2011
umechuma:

I do not intend to insult you but I think u are a goat

Who removed federalism, was it not Ironsi or so, was he a northerner

What parasite are u talking about

DOES AN AVERAGE NORTHERNER SURVIVE ON OIL MONEY ?

Is oil food ?

How many oil jobs have northerners taken away from the south

How many southern resources is controlled and ruled by northerner ?

I think you people just like blaming the North because you are unfortunate  angry
Re: Mimiko, Obi To Presidency: Let Nigerians Discuss True Federalism by arsenefc: 4:03am On Sep 28, 2011
alj_harem:

grin grin grin body dey

a beg leave ekt-bear alone

I don leave that nama.

Just waiting for a call and I gogo go sleep cheesy
Re: Mimiko, Obi To Presidency: Let Nigerians Discuss True Federalism by aljharem3: 4:04am On Sep 28, 2011
arsenefc:

I don leave that nama.

Just [b]waiting for a call [/b]and I gogo go sleep cheesy

wife or girlfriend wink wink wink Fstranger take am easy o.
Re: Mimiko, Obi To Presidency: Let Nigerians Discuss True Federalism by arsenefc: 4:22am On Sep 28, 2011
alj_harem:

wife or girlfriend wink wink wink Fstranger take am easy o.

From my boy friend, Ekt bear. grin

I am bisexual, he is ghay!

You heard it from me first! grin
Re: Mimiko, Obi To Presidency: Let Nigerians Discuss True Federalism by umechuma: 4:23am On Sep 28, 2011
alj_harem:

I do not intend to insult you but I think u are a goat

Who removed federalism, was it not Ironsi or so, was he a northerner

What parasite are u talking about

DOES AN AVERAGE NORTHERNER SURVIVE ON OIL MONEY ?

Is oil food ?

How many oil jobs have northerners taken away from the south

How many southern resources is controlled and ruled by northerner ?

I think you people just like blaming the North because you are unfortunate  angry
How much tax does Boron State generate monthly within the State to pay it civil servant?
90% of fund used in running Boron state comes from monthly federal allocation which comes from oil money and you are searching for southern resources in the North.
Re: Mimiko, Obi To Presidency: Let Nigerians Discuss True Federalism by Relax101(m): 4:41am On Sep 28, 2011
umechuma:

How much tax does Boron State generate monthly within the State to pay it civil servant?
90% of fund used in running Boron state comes from monthly federal allocation which comes from oil money and you are searching for southern resources in the North.

Are you Alh harem in disguise?
Re: Mimiko, Obi To Presidency: Let Nigerians Discuss True Federalism by Akanbiedu(m): 9:09am On Sep 28, 2011
Something is terribly wrong with this arsenefc. You expect a governor to spend 80% of state's income on less than 2% of the population of the state?
Re: Mimiko, Obi To Presidency: Let Nigerians Discuss True Federalism by Akanbiedu(m): 9:11am On Sep 28, 2011
Northerners didn't initiate the current over-centralized government we have now, they just benefitted more from it.
Re: Mimiko, Obi To Presidency: Let Nigerians Discuss True Federalism by T8ksy(m): 10:21am On Sep 28, 2011
I wonder who was the ph.ocking "smart alex" that gave us this oxymoronic idea of centralised govt?

Did this imbecille even consulted nigerians before imposing this form of govt on us?

Whoever he is, i sincerely hope he (including those of his advisers) and their generations to come rots in hell.

(1) (Reply)

PRESS RELEASE: Abia Govt Set To Commission Power Plant / Who Is Misleading America On Boko Haram? - by Frisky Larr / Why We Should Rally Behind Lawan Farouk

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.