Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,757 members, 7,824,172 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 02:27 AM

Can Nigeria Actually Get Better? You Are Being Deceived! - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Can Nigeria Actually Get Better? You Are Being Deceived! (1300 Views)

Fuel Scarcity: Nigerians Are Being Deceived – Marketers Reveal / Is Tinubu Being Deceived? / Do You Think Nigeria Can Actually Get Better? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Can Nigeria Actually Get Better? You Are Being Deceived! by italkalot: 3:33pm On Sep 29, 2011
This is probably going to be a long article because I have so many thoughts in my head. You know I see people struggling to make a difference in Nigeria, but the truth is for what purpose, do you really think Nigeria can get better?

First thing is first, our leaders. No need to harp on it, we have bad leaders. Some good people came up/ come up/ are coming up yet nothing seems to change. Either they get to power and break their promises/ are forced by other elites to do their biddings or get killed.
People usually think it’s easy to govern the reality is that it isn’t. Everyone has their own opinions, so here are mine, and they are based on research, Q & A sessions, professors, and my understanding.

Nigerians struggle and in every little way try to make the country better but do you really know the enormity of the problem we are facing. We are not just talking about corrupt leaders, we are also talking about the western civilizations. Do you know it’s a policy of civilized countries in Europe and America that Africa should not develop? Do you know they have developing their societies on the sweat and hard work of us developing nations? The economic theory of comparative advantage is faulty and favours the developed countries. Yet we operate on its rules, to the detriment of our economy.

Do you know that the globalization effect, the migrant nature of our best minds, is still a form of slavery? Just one without chains, yet we work and slave in their countries and get very little in return? Do you actually think that if we get a good leader in Aso Rock, and he is willing to change Nigeria stop corruption, utilize our resources and not hand them over, do you know the next thing is the western countries will think of a way to remove him? You might be surprised but most coup d’états were instigated by the west so they could continue rollicking in our national resources. They need officials who are “yes men”, who will take the bribes and continue to do as they please. If one doesn’t, next thing is to eliminate him. I am not a[b] rumor-monger[/b] who just criticizes but ever read story on Venezuela 1988, they had the president assassinated because he had the audacity to try and reform his country. Or more recently Iraq? We please still await the WMD.

So you see it’s not that easy, we are already caught in a vicious cycle. we import everything from rice to dustpans, we don’t produce anything, we only export oil, most of the money earned siphoned to bank accounts abroad and not even been used to develop or country. Transport system is poor, education system is substandard, basic food we rely on imports; very very bad, legal arm corrupt (though getting better), power irregular, no water. Try to fix oil refineries, those who sell petrol sabotage it. Try to fix farms, those who import food sabotage it. try to fix power, those who import diesel sabotage it. Not writing against them, in a way I understand it’s business, though shouldn’t be taken that far. they [b]did [/b]help Nigeria as government had failed in these sectors. Anyway, if they don’t sabotage it the west will. Because if Nigeria should get better and care for its citizens, who will work for them in Macdonald’s, or clean their toilets? For every rich guy there, he needs lots of workers. If they let us develop, they will not be as affluent. No one should talk about one scheme that they did to helped Nigeria, because that was just politics. And another foolish thing, why did OBJ pay them money we owed. In the first place the borrowed money never got to us, it was just stolen. Second, where in the world do you hear of a country paying back its debt in cash? How could OBJ just give away out foreign reserve? He should have told them to invest in Nigeria. America owes china trillions, how come they are not paying?

Oh and by the way privatization in theory is a good concept, but in practice has to be regulated. And the consolidation of the banks was just legal stealing. Everywhere in the world there are small banks. Consolidating just made people jobless and let the big boys make extra money.
So if you can see our problems are many. This is not time to be religious and say God will help Nigeria, on religion I will write later. People are the cause of our problems not God.

I now see the enormity of our problems. I just feel sad because it doesn’t look like it will be resolved in my time. Just too much to do and the west doesn’t even want us to do it.

For the hopeful, kudos, just don’t forget it’s also a trick in politics, tell the poor man he will be rich one day, he will believe and hope, just he doesn’t know that day is after his death.
Re: Can Nigeria Actually Get Better? You Are Being Deceived! by werepeLeri: 3:35pm On Sep 29, 2011
from your user name - you indeed talk a lot.
Re: Can Nigeria Actually Get Better? You Are Being Deceived! by italkalot: 3:44pm On Sep 29, 2011
^ i know grin
Re: Can Nigeria Actually Get Better? You Are Being Deceived! by logic1: 8:51am On Oct 05, 2011
It's good to know that a growing number of people at beginning to understand the enormity of Nigeria's problems.

However, succumbing to despair and giving up is not the way to go. If we think we cannot change Nigeria then we can't.

@italkalot, You have outlined the challenges that a good president will face if he or she tries to make Nigeria better but judging from the Arab spring, if regular nigerians, decide to change Nigeria, there is little or nothing that any nation can do!

The only regime that has managed to stay is syria and since president Jonathan is the direct opposite of the syrian dictator, we have a good chance of success.

The first step is to come up with ideas on how to make Nigeria better, debate and refine those ideas with like minds and then organize to implement the refined ideas.

Check out the thread "Suggestions to make Nigeria better" to post ideas and debate the ones already posted.

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-764430.32.html

You have a very perceptive mind therefore you should be able to easily pick holes in the ideas suggested so that those holes can be fixed thereby refining the ideas.

Thanks in advance.

@werepeleri and every other nairaland poster, Nigeria will appreciate your input too.
Re: Can Nigeria Actually Get Better? You Are Being Deceived! by cap28: 10:06am On Oct 05, 2011
i talkalot - people with your type of mindset make up a very small minority in nigeria.

you know i have been labelled a conspiracy theorist on here simply because i have pointed out to many ignorant NLs on here the role that western nations have played and continue to play in order to ensure that africa never becomes an economic competitor. I have cited numerous factual and historic examples but our people sadly are extremely ignorant and have no knowledge or understanding of world history and africa's place within the world economic system.

I applaud you for taking the time out to do your own independent research, you are now seeing the situation for what it is.

when you cited countries that have been deliberately destroyed by the western nations because of their unwillingness to become economic slaves of western banks and multinationals you forgot to mention the most glaring example - libya - libya is now under 24 hours of bombardment because a criminal organisation known as NATO will not stand for it to have its own independant banking system and nationalised oil industry. The west's mantra is - if we cant use and control you and your resources - we bomb you back into the stone age -that is what they are doing to libya.
Re: Can Nigeria Actually Get Better? You Are Being Deceived! by italkalot: 1:08pm On Oct 07, 2011
@logic1
thanks, i will take time to read through the thread.

@cap28
i am also amazed by the shortsightedness of many of oue people. You ty and explain to them, but some people just cant see past the ends of their noses. Well as they say, if someone is not intelligent , you cant eally force him to.
Re: Can Nigeria Actually Get Better? You Are Being Deceived! by Kx: 1:10pm On Oct 07, 2011
Sorry pls but i was taught summary and comprehension.

Can someone pls summarize this for us to comprehend?
Re: Can Nigeria Actually Get Better? You Are Being Deceived! by EEngineer1(m): 2:17pm On Oct 07, 2011
this thread is a home for me, all the comments posted on this thread have been in my mind since
i thank god that there are like minded nigerians who can see the enormity of our problems and the role of the west in this

the most important and powerful tool the west have against us is the media,
it is the biggest brainwashing element they have, if i can control your mind, then i can control you and that is what they do to us

every day nigerians are trooping into their embassies applying for visas with the illusion ingrained in their minds that the west is far better than them, that up there, there is no poverty no struggle and everything is rosy, who else put that illusion in their mind if it isnt the western media

what they have been doing since and they still havent stopped, is the denigration of africa in the media, for Gods sake, how can someone say that 80% of all nigerians live below the poverty line of $1.25 per day, that is just plain false

$1.25 is equivalent to 200 naira, are they trying to say that more than 80% of our population dont make up to 200 naira per day, just look around you and calculate it
even those on the lowest rung of the ladder [ mai ruwas, abokis, hawkers] make more than that everyday and they dont constitute up to 30% of our population

their statistics are just plain false

if you look at saudi arabia you will see that they have done the most important thing that can be done THEY HAVE REBRANDED THEIR IMAGE IN THE EYES OF THE WORLD AND THEIR CITIZENS, THEY WILL NEVA BE SLAVES TO THE IMF AND WORLD BANK
am not saying all nigerians have to do to make this country better is to rebrand their television image, but that coupled with other steps in the positive direction and i know we will get there

@op, i know ur analysis is right, but every anaalysis should be geared towards a solution not despair, that is why we are humans[ problem solvers]
Re: Can Nigeria Actually Get Better? You Are Being Deceived! by italkalot: 2:32pm On Oct 07, 2011
@ e-engineer
i agree with you, especially about we Africans trooping abroad to get "greener pastures". Yes Nigeria is rife with problems, but i have been indifferent countries and Nigerians or Africans are not ding so well there. most are discriminated at, and just survive day in day out, supporting the system. Never will be anything better, than just a second class citizen. Its really a pity. My post is of despair because i have spent the last two months researching for solutions. The more i look into the deeper the well.

Another fundamental problem i should add is the black man. Its too long to post here, but seriously we have issues with mentality and our approach to life.
Re: Can Nigeria Actually Get Better? You Are Being Deceived! by Dede1(m): 3:36pm On Oct 07, 2011
@cap28

You probably overlooked the grandma of all time, Biafra. Biafra would have been the trailblazer of African continent. Some people may think Biafra would have been praying nation but reality would have been healthy competition and cooperation Biafra might have instigated among its neighbors.
Re: Can Nigeria Actually Get Better? You Are Being Deceived! by EEngineer1(m): 3:43pm On Oct 07, 2011
Another fundamental problem i should add is the black man. Its too long to post here, but seriously we have issues with mentality and our approach to life.

you are right about the black man, i have read many articles about african history after independence and it just surprises me that all the black african leaders do exactly the same thing after assuming power, they stay there for as long as they can, embezzle all the money they can and live no traceable legacy

u can look up the history of burkina faso's campaore and other african leaders

i dont think it is a problem with the blackness of a black man i just believe we are passing thru a phase

(1) (Reply)

Barrack Obama: The Political Beast / Homeward Bound: Are Africans Leaving The U.s.? / Football Can Arrest Boko Haram Insurgence, Says Senate President, David Mark.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.