Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,758 members, 7,824,180 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 03:09 AM

Improved Power Supply Cuts Energy Cost 25% In Nigeria - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Improved Power Supply Cuts Energy Cost 25% In Nigeria (6292 Views)

Improved Power Supply Is Not Sustainable, Electricity Employees Explain / ‘ Why There Is Improved Power Supply’ - Acting MD YEDC / Lagosians Commend PHCN For Improved Power Supply (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Improved Power Supply Cuts Energy Cost 25% In Nigeria by Justcash(m): 3:27am On Sep 30, 2011
Improved power supply cuts energy cost 25%

Homes affirm development

Public power supply to factories and homes across the country has improved vastly and business leaders say they have seen up to twenty per cent drop in their energy cost which in some firms could be as much as a quarter of the total cost of doing business.

Streets and neighbourhoods in Lagos have become noisier in the day as small businesses like welders, tailors and motor repair shops, take on new life of heightened  activity, energised by a surprise improvement in power supply by the Power Holding Company of Nigeria (PHCN).

Petrol station attendants complain they are selling less diesel, with a drop in the tips they get from diesel buyers, and generator engineers are hoping it is just a dream that will go away soon.

“It is like everyday we are waking up in a new country, a new city,” says Chike Ahamba, a small business owner in the Apapa area of Lagos, who runs two generators at his office. “At home and at the office, we are spending less on diesel and we are able to sleep at home without the noise of a running generator.”

Leading economist and chief executive officer, Financial Derivatives Company, Bismarck Rewane, told BusinessDay that increase in power means improvement in productivity, and that translates into better incomes. “Anyhow you look at it, it is all positive for the economy”, he added.

Our investigation showed that on the back of the increase in electricity generation, Lagos now gets a supply of up to 1,100 mw on good days, from a low of 500 mw, in the very dark days three months ago.

Muda Yusuf, director- general of the Lagos Chamber of Commerce and Industry (LCCI) said the chamber has received reports of improved power supply in some locations “and the impact definitely has been positive.

“Our members confirm that reliance on diesel for electricity generation has declined in the last month, at least. If the trend is sustained, it would result in moderation in the operating cost for many firms.”

Reginald Odia, chairman, Electrical Group, of the Manufacturers Association of Nigeria and managing director of Benet Industries Ltd, producers of light sheeting and electrical accessories, also acknowledged that there had been some improvement in power supply from PHCN but noted that the benefit of this will not be felt yet at major manufacturing plants, simply because many have since switched off from the grid.

Said he: “Only commercial and residential consumers are benefitting from the current improvement in the level of power supply. Although there has been improvement, the fear of unannounced power cut by PHCN remains a problem for manufacturers because this inconsistency in power supply makes most manufacturing firms to depend on only private power generation.”

Duro Kuteyi, chairman, Nigerian Association of Small Scale Industries (NASSI) and CEO Spectra Industries Limited, said while the volume of diesel consumed has reduced because of improvement in power supply, the sharp rise in the price of diesel has virtually wiped away the benefit.

Ausbeth Ajagu, president, Academy for Entrepreneurial Studies, Nigeria, said: “The level of power supply has improved. We currently enjoy power supply for a total of 12 to 14 hours daily and this is helping to reduce our diesel consumption significantly.”

At Betterlife Water Resources Limited, Festac Town Lagos, an official said they spent over N1 million on diesel monthly during the bad days of PHCN but that the company now spends N600,000, a 40 per cent drop .

For Lydia David, executive director at the Oregun based Edelyn Nigeria Limited, makers of Edelyn Shirts, power supply has also improved, forcing down their monthly diesel expense from N52, 000 to just over N13, 000.

LanreTalabi, executive chairman of Talon Nigeria Limited, a fishing company in Ilaro, Ogun State, told BusinessDay that his company is now reaping a 60 per cent drop in the cost of running its generators.

In Festac Town, a middle class settlement, the story is the same and, according to Nwaneka Chikwendu, a housewife, “The part of Festac where I live has been having regular power supply lately. It is like a miracle”.

In Kano the industrial hub of northern Nigeria, power supply has risen to about 200 mw, up from the old level of 50-100 mw, although Kano will need about 350MW to be fully supplied.

Similarly, Mark Oboh, a Barbing Salon operator in the down town District of Sabon- Gari, also confirmed that the electricity supply in his area had improved.

He said the improvement was a big boost for his operation, but appealed to  the federal government to ensure that the improvement is sustained.

“I am happy now with what is happening to PHCN. In  recent times, electricity supply in our area has drastically improved. We are only hoping it will be sustained”.

However, John Aluya, Chairman of the Apapa branch of MAN and managing director of Crystal Glass Nigeria Ltd, said, :”The time is too short for us to put a figure on the amount we spend on diesel to power our generating set but there has been a slight improvement in power supply”.

According to Yusuf, “impact on capacity utilisation can only be perceptible if the improvement in power is sustained. Sustainability is always an issue. If this happens, the prospects for job creation in the economy would be bright,” Yusuf added.

Source: http://www.businessdayonline.com/NG/index.php/news/76-hot-topic/27986-improved-power-supply-cuts-energy-cost-25
Re: Improved Power Supply Cuts Energy Cost 25% In Nigeria by Relax101(m): 3:34am On Sep 30, 2011
You see what GEJ is doing?
It is not like talking about kill kill kill.
He said it I am not a general, lion or scorpion. lol
Credits must go to Nnaji too. He's done wonderfully well but more still needs to be done too.
Re: Improved Power Supply Cuts Energy Cost 25% In Nigeria by Beaf: 3:40am On Sep 30, 2011
^
All the lions couldn't give the people electricity. They simply "lionised" the money. Look what GEJ is achieving in a few short months.
Yes, we must also give credit to Barth Nnaji too.
Re: Improved Power Supply Cuts Energy Cost 25% In Nigeria by Johndoe100(m): 3:48am On Sep 30, 2011
This is whay we want. A government that will actually do somthing positive for the people. Not some demented military man who will just make things worse.

We must al join hand to assist GEJ to further actualize his transformation agenda.
Re: Improved Power Supply Cuts Energy Cost 25% In Nigeria by Beaf: 3:51am On Sep 30, 2011
For Lydia David, executive director at the Oregun based Edelyn Nigeria Limited, makers of Edelyn Shirts, power supply has also improved, forcing down their monthly diesel expense from N52, 000 to just over N13, 000.

Incredible progress and a very measurable benefit. By the Power of God, we will hit 24/7 power supply before 2015 or thereabouts.
Re: Improved Power Supply Cuts Energy Cost 25% In Nigeria by Relax101(m): 3:55am On Sep 30, 2011
Johndoe100:

This is whay we want. A government that will actually do somthing positive for the people. Not some demented military man who will just make things worse.

We must al join hand to assist GEJ to further actualize his transformation agenda.

That's what I really dont understand.
Re: Improved Power Supply Cuts Energy Cost 25% In Nigeria by Jeboy(m): 5:04am On Sep 30, 2011
haters of gej like retarded dayokanu and d likes of jokobunkie shld come and discredit dis report
Re: Improved Power Supply Cuts Energy Cost 25% In Nigeria by Onlytruth(m): 5:46am On Sep 30, 2011
Posted by: Beaf

^
All the lions couldn't give the people electricity. They simply "lionised" the money. Look what GEJ is achieving in a few short months.
Yes, we must also give credit to Barth Nnaji too.

hehehe! Beaf you no go kill me abeg. grin grin

I hear you bro. The fact is that Nigerians have become warped in thinking with the "kill and go" men having held sway for far too long. So, they would need time to adjust to the civil and decent style of leadership.
Good job GEJ!  cool
Re: Improved Power Supply Cuts Energy Cost 25% In Nigeria by Onlytruth(m): 5:53am On Sep 30, 2011
Let me say this early enough. Nnaji must keep this job for at least 7 years for his plans to become irreversible.
This is part of why power must stay in the South for at least 12 more years.
The damage would take time to fix.
These are damages rendered over a 40 year period. I don't want tomorrow they'll bring another "world class engineer" (paper engineers) to come and set us back again.
Re: Improved Power Supply Cuts Energy Cost 25% In Nigeria by Jakumo(m): 6:25am On Sep 30, 2011
With this dramatic improvement in Nigeria's grid electrical power supply, President Johnny B. Goode has GUARANTEED himself a second term in office. 

The simple fact is that the availability of electrical power from a functioning national grid saves vast sums of money,  by minimizing and then completely eliminating the need for costly generator acquisition, fuel and maintenance.    Electrical power on demand creates far more jobs in the industrial and corporate sector than any other relevant variable worthy of consideration.  The creation of jobs DIRECTLY reduces crime, since many of those on the wrong side of the law are there out of sheer desperation - resultant from years of unemployment and poverty.

In short, the revival of Nigeria's economy is well under way as we speak, and history will record that the architect of this modern African renaissance is none other than the man of the hour, Nigeria's present and future president,  Jonathan Goodluck.

Go Johnny go !
Re: Improved Power Supply Cuts Energy Cost 25% In Nigeria by Johnpaul2k2(m): 7:16am On Sep 30, 2011
WHERE IS ALL THESE ARMAJIRIS IN NL HERE angry angry angry angry angry angry
COME AND DEFEND YOUR STUPI.D SELF grin grin grin grin
Re: Improved Power Supply Cuts Energy Cost 25% In Nigeria by wesley80(m): 7:41am On Sep 30, 2011
^^^ Vultures only gather when there's a carcass to feed on.
Re: Improved Power Supply Cuts Energy Cost 25% In Nigeria by Nobody: 8:39am On Sep 30, 2011
good one by GEJ. Prof. Nnaji, has also done a very good job. Power supply in benin is jst wonderful, on a good day we get 4 days straight of uninterupted power supply. I doubt if residents in benin even have generators. It's the prepaid meter that is used here in benin, once your credit finishes, your light goes off. You don't see nepa guys, going around with ladders from home to home in benin. You can't cheat it, and no one cheats you, with these prepaid meters
Re: Improved Power Supply Cuts Energy Cost 25% In Nigeria by frenchman2: 8:41am On Sep 30, 2011
SABOTEURS, yes govt shouldn't forget they exist.

filling stations selling less diesel = low turnover

generator repairers, less work for them

generator importers, low sales

list is endless

just wondering what steps the govt has taken to avert sabotage.
Re: Improved Power Supply Cuts Energy Cost 25% In Nigeria by MrGlobe(m): 9:00am On Sep 30, 2011
I see the neighbor to neighbor members who insist on fixing nigeria's problem through the pages of newspapers are having a party here. Rejoicing at speculated increase in power that usually occurs during seasonal water volume changes in dams. Like this is the fiirst time people have noticed this increase and by the way, no light for here oh. Smh at this piece of limted, sponsored and non-investigative journalism by a street newspaper.anyway, nigerians are easily decieveded
Re: Improved Power Supply Cuts Energy Cost 25% In Nigeria by Beaf: 9:05am On Sep 30, 2011
Mr. Globe:

I see the neighbor to neighbor members who insist on fixing nigeria's problem through the pages of newspapers are having a party here. Rejoicing at speculated increase in power that usually occurs during seasonal water volume changes in dams. Like this is the fiirst time people have noticed this increase and by the way, no light for here oh. Smh at this piece of limted, sponsored and non-investigative journalism by a street newspaper.anyway, nigerians are easily decieveded

As usual we have the tiny headed type that pass for intellectuals on NL.
Would you be so kind to tell us how much electricity is generated by dams as compared to what is generated by gas turbines. The answer will show how terribly foolish your post is. I challenge you to seek those figures and post them, if shame no go catch you.
Re: Improved Power Supply Cuts Energy Cost 25% In Nigeria by omosexy1: 9:17am On Sep 30, 2011
I agree with Mr. Globe. We are still witnessing increase rain fall which results to increase water level in the dams. Lets wait till December to actually ascertain the change. Though kudos must go to Prof. Nnaji regardless of the saboteurs he faces on a regular basis. He hasn't even started working, just a little pressure on corrupt PHCN workers who have been putting the country in darkness and embezzling so much money.
Re: Improved Power Supply Cuts Energy Cost 25% In Nigeria by Beaf: 9:18am On Sep 30, 2011
omosexy1:

I agree with Mr. Globe. We are still witnessing increase rain fall which results to increase water level in the dams. Lets wait till December to actually ascertain the change. Though kudos must go to Prof. Nnaji regardless of the saboteurs he faces on a regular basis. He hasn't even started working, just a little pressure on corrupt PHCN workers who have been putting the country in darkness and embezzling so much money.

Another dunce.
Re: Improved Power Supply Cuts Energy Cost 25% In Nigeria by MrGlobe(m): 9:20am On Sep 30, 2011
^^ I dont even have your time. You are just a one direction follower. Funny how a laptop, internet connection and some handouts will buy an old man like you over to represent the president on a forum. You don't even want it with me.
Its only when you are bought over that you will not know dams are major sources of power in this country. Even primary school pupils get that basic knowlegde and water bodies in the country has been overflowing this year; the lagos flooding, the story on frontpage about river niger submerging villages etc.
Man I don't have your time, I gotta face my work. You have been roboted to be bias here so never have any other option.
Re: Improved Power Supply Cuts Energy Cost 25% In Nigeria by Beaf: 9:21am On Sep 30, 2011
^
I posted this as a thread elsewhere. Can one of you id!ots look at the breakdown below and tell us how much is from dams? Or does rain now pipe gas into power stations like Egbin and spin the turbines? Some of you are so daft its a mystery.
I really abhor people who open their mouths to speak, only to talk absolute nonsense. angry

Bunch of cretins who enjoy bad news like winshes. grin

[size=14pt]Power supply improves on 4300mw generation[/size] .
Friday, 30 September 2011 00:00 BusinessDay Staff

The sudden improvement in public power supply to Lagos on the back of unmatched gas supply to the thermal stations, could be one of the green shoots of the aggressive push by the government of President Goodluck Jonathan to address the perennial rot in the power sector, according to a BusinessDay investigation.

Those knowledgeable, trace the improvement to the rise in nationally generated power to 4,300MW.

The improvement in power generation at some of the power plants, has translated into significant relief for consumers across the country.

Some of the government’s power plants have been undergoing rehabilitation and this has significantly improved their generating capacity and it is expected that by the time these rehabilitation projects are completed, the country would witness further improvement in power supply.

The generation at Egbin power station has now stabilised and is consistently hovering between 987megawatts and 1,100megawatts (mw) as against between 500mw and 600mw, some months back .

Generation at Kainji hydro power plant, has also improved from 70 mw to 268 mw, while the plant at Jebba is running at full blast, supplying about 433 mw to the national grid.
Shiroro produces about 413 mw, AES 101 mw and Sapele 78 mw.

The others are Agip’s Okpai 400 mw, Afam6  270 mw, Delta 218 mw, Geregu 210 mw, Omotosho 46 mw, Olorunsogo phase one 38 mw, Olorunsogo phase two 120mw and Trans Amadi 22.5mw.

In addition to these, another 260 mw spinning reserve has been put in place. This is used for system stability.

Again, the stability in the system has improved considerably, said engineers at several of the power installation in the country, cutting the number of annual incidents of system collapse from the old level of 52.

The injection of funds into the distribution network has led to the replacement of old transformers, and cables are helping to ensure smooth supply of electricity.

C-don Adinuba, special adviser on media to the Minister of Power, says the current  achievement   as regards the stepping up of power supply supply, is the result of  improvement  in generation, transmission and distribution, through doing a quick fix on transmission infrastructure. He said: “The transmission infrastructures that have been problematic are currently being upgraded and modernised. We have also moved into distribution network and created a department of fuel -to –power that ensures prompt payment for gas supplied, which serves as feedstock to power plants.

http://www.businessdayonline.com/NG/index.php/typography/the-news/27985-power-supply-improves-on-4300mw-generation
Re: Improved Power Supply Cuts Energy Cost 25% In Nigeria by Jeboy(m): 9:41am On Sep 30, 2011
Dont mind them beef, they will never agree that GEJ govt is trying. Even when it is obvious, they re giving only Nnaji d credits. Who appoints Nnaji and gave him all d required support. We will have to deport some folks to Ghana as we make far reaching progress in this our great country called Nigeria.
Re: Improved Power Supply Cuts Energy Cost 25% In Nigeria by iykak47: 9:41am On Sep 30, 2011
(One blinddd man said he would always speak the truth after all he doesnt look at anybody's face cool cool].         Some people wont  like this positive news  about improved power supply, because  it favours Gej,  good news is bad news to them. they know themselves on nairaland.  Please Baba God touch their heart.   Presido and Nnaji carry go. It shall be well with Nigeria  my motherland.
Re: Improved Power Supply Cuts Energy Cost 25% In Nigeria by 4llerbuntu(m): 9:46am On Sep 30, 2011
used to be that the power improved, now i have like 6 hrs of power daily.

so forgive me if i take this thread with a pinch of salt.

what i find weird is the self congratulation. i think i should employ people to advertise me whenever i do my job too!!!

anyway, on 1st october, i am fully expecting to have 22 hrs of power supply, then the very next day it disappears again, GEJnomically.

bootlickers
Re: Improved Power Supply Cuts Energy Cost 25% In Nigeria by dagboss(m): 9:51am On Sep 30, 2011
I am definitely not going to join this hasty Hossana song in praising GEJ and or Bart Nnaji on the hailed improvement in power supply. I live in Ayobo Lagos abi is Ayobo not part of Nigeria? My people  never see the improvement o. We still make do with our one day on one day off an arrangement that has never been respected, but i do not know of other areas o before i am tagged as one of the haters of good news o
Re: Improved Power Supply Cuts Energy Cost 25% In Nigeria by MrGlobe(m): 9:54am On Sep 30, 2011
Hater of good news, fire. When people never see light?
@beaf, man just try and increase your mental capacity. You sound de.mented. Now its obvious you don't even know what is a dam. From your post, kanji, from 70mw to a whopping 268, shiroro and the rest. Its obvious you dont even know what is a dam in the first place.
And then, only street newspaper - businessday is reporting this and you - the nairaland representative of neighbor to neighbor - has a tab on these sponsored stories. Lmao.
Man you don't want it with me. I know you are doing you day job, but sometimes it better to STFU.
Re: Improved Power Supply Cuts Energy Cost 25% In Nigeria by mcdonaldugochukwu(m): 9:59am On Sep 30, 2011
i dont think dat d power sector hav improve cos it is still epileptic
Re: Improved Power Supply Cuts Energy Cost 25% In Nigeria by Jeboy(m): 10:00am On Sep 30, 2011
Dont mind them beef, they will never agree that GEJ govt is trying. Even when it is obvious, they re giving only Nnaji d credits. Who appoints Nnaji and gave him all d required support. We will have to deport some folks to Ghana as we make far reaching progress in this our great country called Nigeria.
Re: Improved Power Supply Cuts Energy Cost 25% In Nigeria by Beaf: 10:03am On Sep 30, 2011
^
Lol! Dude, they are like very bad winshes! grin

Mr. Globe:

Hater of good news, fire. When people never see light?
@beaf, man just try and increase your mental capacity. You sound de.mented. Now its obvious you don't even know what is a dam. From your post, kanji, from 70mw to a whopping 268, shiroro and the rest. Its obvious you dont even know what is a dam in the first place.
And then, only street newspaper - businessday is reporting this and you - the nairaland representative of neighbor to neighbor - has a tab on these sponsored stories. Lmao.
Man you don't want it with me. I know you are doing you day job, but sometimes it better to STFU.

Dunce.

Add the output from Kainji and your beloved Shiroro, then subtract the amount from 4,300. Mumu.
Re: Improved Power Supply Cuts Energy Cost 25% In Nigeria by MrGlobe(m): 10:11am On Sep 30, 2011
^ id.iot, so kanji and shiroro are the only dams in Nigeria. Mu-mu. I bet you don't like your life like this. If only you were smart, you could have gotten a decent job and not stanning any post with jonathan and you have not been able to convince the people here that work is going on in the power sector so your job is in the line, Lol
Re: Improved Power Supply Cuts Energy Cost 25% In Nigeria by Beaf: 10:19am On Sep 30, 2011
Mr. Globe:

^ id.iot, so kanji and shiroro are the only dams in Nigeria. Mu-mu. I bet you don't like your life like this. If only you were smart, you could have gotten a decent job and not stanning any post with jonathan and you have not been able to convince the people here that work is going on in the power sector so your job is in the line,  Lol

Ok, add up all the dams you know, you can even include some from Cameroon if you like. When you finish, tell NL what percentage of power they amount to in 4,300MW.

People that like telling lies and spreading bad news as if they "fly" in the night like winshes sha. embarassed
Bone-headed akpa! grin grin grin grin
Re: Improved Power Supply Cuts Energy Cost 25% In Nigeria by kosire(m): 10:22am On Sep 30, 2011
what gej nid 4rm us is jxt praya. He is nw doin it tank God. In ikpoba hill benin city we nw enjoy electricity 24/7 tanx 2 d unrelentles work of Gej and nnaji

Re: Improved Power Supply Cuts Energy Cost 25% In Nigeria by MrGlobe(m): 10:34am On Sep 30, 2011
^ 24/7? Haba! I thought this was a forum for mature people. Its obvious this is beaf with multiple accounts. Anyway I shouldn't count the number of dams in nigeria for you. Am a busy man and I have work to do. Just report to office and have them contact the ministry of power to tell you how many dams in nigeria and also tell you dams are major sources of power in Nigeria.
The point is this article is sponsored and nigerians dont have light. So am trying to bring the truth to this publicity stunt before nigerians who are easily decieved will go about celebrating light even when they dont see it. Smh.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Breaking: See The War Helicopter That Will Cleanse Niger Delta Of Miscreants / Uche Nwaosu Of Aa Congratulate Emeka Ihedioha. Pics / Picture Of Sowore Wearing Erufai/sowore 2023 Cap

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.