Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,442 members, 7,816,013 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 11:30 PM

Obaseki Increases Minimum Wage To N40000, Reduces Workdays To Thrice A Week - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Obaseki Increases Minimum Wage To N40000, Reduces Workdays To Thrice A Week (47894 Views)

Obaseki Increases Minimum Wage To ₦‎70,000 From ₦‎40,000 In Edo / Fuel Subsidy Removal: Kwara Govt Reduces Workdays To Three For Public Servants / Governor Obaseki Increases Minimum Wage To ₦40,000 In Edo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Obaseki Increases Minimum Wage To N40000, Reduces Workdays To Thrice A Week by ImoleNaija: 11:03pm On Jun 06, 2023
olasaad:
That's great. Meanwhile Kwara State Governor too should not only reduced working days to 3 days, he should also increase the workers salary too.

Spirit is willing but the flesh is weak.

Kwara State is not that rich.
Re: Obaseki Increases Minimum Wage To N40000, Reduces Workdays To Thrice A Week by leanonme82: 11:03pm On Jun 06, 2023
Hezzyluv:
Rest for three days work for three days. grin

Enough time to put hoes to use.

Its a good thing. I thought it was a great idea implemented by the Kwara state govt. They should work in shifts. All these govt workers need to do other jobs in the remaining 2 days. State governemnts cant afford living wages until they improve revenue.

I suggest the state govt give them free land for particular agriculture produce. Let them go to their farm the other 3 days, by the end of the year, the state can be exporting something to increase IGR. All these unproductive civil servant states should do the same. Ecspecially Osun state.

2 Likes

Re: Obaseki Increases Minimum Wage To N40000, Reduces Workdays To Thrice A Week by isabi2lof: 11:06pm On Jun 06, 2023
Things will get better.
Re: Obaseki Increases Minimum Wage To N40000, Reduces Workdays To Thrice A Week by Johnn74: 11:10pm On Jun 06, 2023
Obrigardo:
As usual, poor nigerians will rush to his praise considering the fact, this is poverty level pay. My God this is not even up to $100 a month! Jesus! A country with all this Oil abundance. cry
cool
Re: Obaseki Increases Minimum Wage To N40000, Reduces Workdays To Thrice A Week by NJV: 11:10pm On Jun 06, 2023
A step in the right direction.

However, I'm just wondering. What about private schools, hope the 3 days also apply?
Re: Obaseki Increases Minimum Wage To N40000, Reduces Workdays To Thrice A Week by pingpong1: 11:11pm On Jun 06, 2023
40k minimum wage is not new. The Government has been paying that amount since May last year. The Government has even agreed to increase it further
Re: Obaseki Increases Minimum Wage To N40000, Reduces Workdays To Thrice A Week by Shezzman: 11:19pm On Jun 06, 2023
Someday we will get there...
Lamentation won't solve anything
Obrigardo:
As usual, poor nigerians will rush to his praise considering the fact, this is poverty level pay. My God this is not even up to $100 a month! Jesus! A country with all this Oil abundance. cry
Re: Obaseki Increases Minimum Wage To N40000, Reduces Workdays To Thrice A Week by Burgerlomo: 11:19pm On Jun 06, 2023
Nice one Gov Obas👍
Re: Obaseki Increases Minimum Wage To N40000, Reduces Workdays To Thrice A Week by Georgejeez: 11:20pm On Jun 06, 2023
What about Ashawo and hook up girls when de waka about for the State to deliver Pussy services to clients , which palliative measures him get for them ?
Re: Obaseki Increases Minimum Wage To N40000, Reduces Workdays To Thrice A Week by Sijo01(f): 11:22pm On Jun 06, 2023
This news is misleading 😡

He didn't increase minimum wage. They only referred to it. Minimum wage has been 40k in Edo state for over a year now.

1 Like

Re: Obaseki Increases Minimum Wage To N40000, Reduces Workdays To Thrice A Week by dealbest: 11:22pm On Jun 06, 2023
Baba na business strategy nor be 9ja you dey if you go buy something, if they tell you 250k shebi you go price
Acekidc4:

How can you just jump to 200k all of a sudden?? When fuel was 200/220 how much was Minimum wage?? Now that fuel have increase to 450/500, now do the calculation, how much do you think Minimum wage should be??
Re: Obaseki Increases Minimum Wage To N40000, Reduces Workdays To Thrice A Week by Godsonkemz(m): 11:22pm On Jun 06, 2023
What about private company staff who earn below 20k. I felt bad when this salesperson confided in me how much she earns. She had to indulge in amorous lifestyle so as to complement her salary which was not enough. I was against it though, but I understand the situation of economy right now.

1 Like

Re: Obaseki Increases Minimum Wage To N40000, Reduces Workdays To Thrice A Week by ThiefnubuBandit: 11:23pm On Jun 06, 2023
Parachoko:
Work for 3 days and Rest for 4 days

Shut up!!! I didn't see you in the thread where Air Nigeria MD stated that the airplane was hired from Ethiopia but you've been running your big mouth everywhere trying to defend fraud.
Re: Obaseki Increases Minimum Wage To N40000, Reduces Workdays To Thrice A Week by Cheeryfeet: 11:27pm On Jun 06, 2023
Acekidc4:
Good Move but not enough............ at least 60k should have been better.
Ingrates. If he takes it to 80k you will ask for 100k. Ungrateful people. Who else has done same. Why not say thank you iw qelsone and leave it at that. No you must show your ungratefulness

1 Like

Re: Obaseki Increases Minimum Wage To N40000, Reduces Workdays To Thrice A Week by Haveyoueatentod: 11:28pm On Jun 06, 2023
DeLaRue:
That is an innovative and smart temporary solution.

It's not perfect, buy in theory, a N40k 3 day week, is the equivalent of a N66k 5 day week.

I commend the Governor for thinking outside the box.

I also believe working Monday to Fridays is a relic from colonial times. It doesn't have to be so.

In State civil service, Friday is mostly a half-day anyway. All States should experiment with a permanent four-day week. Civil Servants can use the extra free day to do things to bolster their income, or just relax if they want.

makes sense
Re: Obaseki Increases Minimum Wage To N40000, Reduces Workdays To Thrice A Week by Cheeryfeet: 11:29pm On Jun 06, 2023
Obrigardo:
you that is rich what have you done?
You will just hide behind keyboard and complain. What have you done to make the country better. The one that has done something for his people you will still complain. Tuaaaa
Re: Obaseki Increases Minimum Wage To N40000, Reduces Workdays To Thrice A Week by omohayek: 11:30pm On Jun 06, 2023
bigiyaro:
Rubbish and nonsense everywhere, increase expenses and salary at the same time to cancel each other, who is fooling who? Repair the refinaries and build more modern and efficient ones, but no way, cos the God corruption must drink the blood and sufferings of nigerians. Thunder fire una.
You're no different from the rest of the Nigerians you criticise, in that you want to have your cake and eat it too. Where exactly do you expect the money to "repair the refineries" to come from, let alone to also "build more modern and efficient ones", when debt servicing alone is already consuming all of the FG revenues before fuel subsidies even come into the picture?

I'd say 99% of Nigerians are living in a state of delusion at this time - the abolition of fuel subsidies isn't some kind of "choice" that Tinubu is making out of cruelty or greed, it's a reality forced on the FG by the fact that they've run out of people to lend them money to throw away on subsidising fuel for all of West Africa. For current creditors to roll over their loans, getting rid of the subsidies is a requirement, and if it isn't met Nigeria will almost certainly be forced into default, meaning it will be cut off from international bond markets for a decade or more. If that happens, the only option left will be either

(1) going to the IMF cap-in-hand, and agreeing to whatever terms the IMF insists on, or
(2) drastically cutting domestic expenditure to force the books to balance, causing a recession so harsh the worst of the Buhari years will seem like paradise in comparison, or
(3) printing ever more money to try to cover its obligations, leading to new wage demands and yet more printing of paper. This too ends in an almighty crash and a recession that could see the economy shrink 20% or more.

Note that option 1 (going to the IMF) is actually the least terrible, contrary to what paranoid Nigerians might fear, but even that will still entail swallowing a lot more bitter medicine than simply abolishing the fuel subsidies. At the very least, it would mean radical privatisation across the board, abolition of most protectionist measures and tariff barriers, and vast layoffs in the public sector to bring down the FG wage bill. All of these measures are good for growth in the long-term, but they will hurt badly in the first few years as millions of Nigerians currently living off FG oil revenue while pretending to "work" are forced into a private sector where you only earn as much value you truly contribute.

Nigerians need to wake up. This is the best deal you're all going to get in the current financial environment.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Obaseki Increases Minimum Wage To N40000, Reduces Workdays To Thrice A Week by Emmasnoop(m): 11:30pm On Jun 06, 2023
What about those that do not have civil service job what now happen to them with the high price of goods and services.

1 Like

Re: Obaseki Increases Minimum Wage To N40000, Reduces Workdays To Thrice A Week by Cheeryfeet: 11:31pm On Jun 06, 2023
Obrigardo:

Realistic about what? That your leaders and politicians are idiotic, stupid and can't string policies together to make life better for you all? That's why you all keep living in bondage.
you what have you done, I bet you are not even in the country.
Re: Obaseki Increases Minimum Wage To N40000, Reduces Workdays To Thrice A Week by isycollins(m): 11:35pm On Jun 06, 2023
This is a good move in a right direction
Re: Obaseki Increases Minimum Wage To N40000, Reduces Workdays To Thrice A Week by manikspears: 11:38pm On Jun 06, 2023
Acekidc4:

Did you consider how much the state is making at all?
Re: Obaseki Increases Minimum Wage To N40000, Reduces Workdays To Thrice A Week by Poanan: 11:39pm On Jun 06, 2023
Acekidc4:

That 200k is not viable for now, let leave sentiment and be realistic.

Have u opened treasury to see?
Re: Obaseki Increases Minimum Wage To N40000, Reduces Workdays To Thrice A Week by Acekidc4(m): 11:41pm On Jun 06, 2023
manikspears:

Did you consider how much the state is making at all?

Irrespective of that, they can generate more Revenue to fund it.
Re: Obaseki Increases Minimum Wage To N40000, Reduces Workdays To Thrice A Week by Gentew(m): 11:44pm On Jun 06, 2023
successmatters:

MC Oluomo hasn't told his boy at Alausa to pay anything.

We are still waiting to hear from our yeastern governors.....

We actually work for 4days in a week in Ipob land, I meant Igbo land.

I wish they reduce it to one day in a week, the pain of subsidy removal is too much biko.
Re: Obaseki Increases Minimum Wage To N40000, Reduces Workdays To Thrice A Week by phidipe(m): 11:47pm On Jun 06, 2023
Just appreciate first

Acekidc4:
Re: Obaseki Increases Minimum Wage To N40000, Reduces Workdays To Thrice A Week by manikspears: 11:54pm On Jun 06, 2023
Acekidc4:

Irrespective of that, they can generate more Revenue to fund it.

Well said but in reality ,the new revenue must generate funds first before they will make plans on spending the profit. And according to your advise which is very appreciated ,the "more" revenue you mention will gulp funds. Governing is not easy o. Even true advising is not easy.

But for that state, the governor did not do bad.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Obaseki Increases Minimum Wage To N40000, Reduces Workdays To Thrice A Week by Jostoman: 11:58pm On Jun 06, 2023
Obrigardo:
that is the highest paid minimum wages by any state in nigeria today.

1 Like

Re: Obaseki Increases Minimum Wage To N40000, Reduces Workdays To Thrice A Week by Acekidc4(m): 12:02am On Jun 07, 2023
manikspears:

Well said but in reality ,the new revenue must generate funds first before they will make plans on spending the profit. And according to your advise which is very appreciated ,the "more" revenue you mention will gulp funds. Governing is not easy o. Even true advising is not easy.

But for that state, the governor did not do bad.

I totally agree with you. He tried.

1 Like

Re: Obaseki Increases Minimum Wage To N40000, Reduces Workdays To Thrice A Week by Acekidc4(m): 12:04am On Jun 07, 2023
phidipe:
Just appreciate first

Well appreciated Sir. You're Right

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Peter Obi Alighting From A Private Jet In Kano (Picture) / ''How Nnamdi Kanu Was Arrested In Lagos'' – DSS / Heavy Protest Rocks National Assembly Over Plot To Impeach Saraki (PHOTOS)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.