Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,801 members, 7,810,083 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 08:20 PM

What City And State Is This? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / What City And State Is This? (10815 Views)

The Asaba Central Hospital And State Library Complex Projects By Okowa / APC Vows To Win All 36 National And State Assemblies Seats In Rivers Re-run / Salaries Of Federal And State Legislators - Vanguard (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

What City And State Is This? by Abagworo(m): 10:27pm On Oct 01, 2011
The pictures were taken at two differnt parts of the city.One was at the centre of the old city while the other is at the new city.The city is in former Eastern region.So non-easterners should tell if they have ever been there.

Re: What City And State Is This? by Abagworo(m): 10:30pm On Oct 01, 2011
b

Re: What City And State Is This? by pcmadu(m): 10:41pm On Oct 01, 2011
My home, ALA OWERRI, IMO STATE
Re: What City And State Is This? by GAR3TH(m): 10:42pm On Oct 01, 2011
its owerri, Someone beat me to it
Re: What City And State Is This? by jason123: 10:43pm On Oct 01, 2011
Owerri looks very beautiful and peaceful! smiley
Re: What City And State Is This? by Abagworo(m): 11:03pm On Oct 01, 2011
pcmadu:

My home, ALA OWERRI, IMO STATE

You were quick to end my quiz.It was meant for non-easterner and not Nwafor Owerri.
Re: What City And State Is This? by Nobody: 12:16am On Oct 02, 2011
with the colour of that bus there, sure is owerri.
Re: What City And State Is This? by Pifa: 12:29am On Oct 02, 2011
Not bad at all. From the view shown in the 2nd photograph, it looks like there is a pattern to the street layout and I like the clear setback from the street and the sidewalk shown in the upper right block of the roundabout (What’s the fascination with roundabouts in Nigeria, anyway? I hate roundabouts; they are bad for pedestrians).  But south of the roundabout shows no set back and no sidewalk. Also, why is there no surfacing on the sidewalks (pavement to those of you who speak British)

Why are there no lane markings on the roads? If the government of that jurisdiction could spend so much money building this nice road, why couldn’t it complete the job by adding lane markings and pedestrian crossings? It doesn’t make sense to me.

I also don’t understand the prevalence of the black and white stripes on roads in Nigeria. They seem a waste of money to have someone paint them. Why not leave the natural concrete texture in place? The stripes tend to highlight runoff dirt from the unpaved sidewalks.

I just looked up the location of Owerri on Google Map. Is Imo an oil-producing state?

1 Like

Re: What City And State Is This? by Onlytruth(m): 12:43am On Oct 02, 2011
^^
Yes it is an oil producing state but I don't think that is the point.
The point is that this state is very much holding its own in terms of development. I once thought that Owerri was the most beautiful SE city. I don't know about now. I used to be in love with "Aladimma Estate". cool
Re: What City And State Is This? by Pifa: 12:56am On Oct 02, 2011
Onlytruth:

^^

Sorry, but I didn't mean it like that. I asked because I don't know much about Nigerian cities and states other than Lagos and I've never heard of Owerri before.
Re: What City And State Is This? by Onlytruth(m): 1:06am On Oct 02, 2011
^^

Are you a Nigerian?
Re: What City And State Is This? by Abagworo(m): 2:28am On Oct 02, 2011
Pifa:

Also, why is there no surfacing on the sidewalks (pavement to those of you who speak British)

it complete the job by adding lane markings and pedestrian crossings? It doesn’t make sense to me.

I also don’t understand the prevalence of the black and white stripes on roads in Nigeria. They seem a waste of money to have someone paint them. Why not leave the natural concrete texture in place? The stripes tend to highlight runoff dirt from the unpaved sidewalks.

I just looked up the location of Owerri on Google Map. Is Imo an oil-producing state?

There are actually pedestrian crossings and markings on the major roads now.As for the side walks compare with this sister city that has underground drainage and pavements but yet is unliveable.

Re: What City And State Is This? by Jakumo(m): 5:43am On Oct 02, 2011
I have fond memories of Owerri. That is the town in which I ate pepper-souped dog meat fillets for the first and only time, in a local restaurant there that offered me a choice between fish and meat, with my dish.

Moral of story : NEVER request meat from the menu when dining in an Owerri restaurant. Woof woof Awoooooooo !
Re: What City And State Is This? by gidson12(m): 8:56am On Oct 02, 2011
nice and beautiful
Re: What City And State Is This? by redsun(m): 9:26am On Oct 02, 2011
This is how a city suppose to look like,all parts of a city.Organized,descent,mapped out,fired up,linked up and functional.

A city with a plan
Re: What City And State Is This? by FACE(m): 9:38am On Oct 02, 2011
Abagworo:

There are actually pedestrian crossings and markings on the major roads now.As for the side walks compare with this sister city that has underground drainage and pavements but yet is unliveable.

Abia governor should be tied to a stake and all Aba residents allowed to take turns in flogging him with doctors on standby to resuscitate him should they need to do so in order not to derail the flogging exercise. Aba was well planned and all it needs is some cosmetic dressing and I can't understand how anyone could derive pleasure from starving his cash cow.

As as per Owerri anyi, I just love it as nwa Owere. However, the govt should come up with a fast solution to check the traffic menace which is now a nightmare. The city has expanded rapidly in the last few years and and it looks like there are a lot more cars on the roads these days, therefore Rochas should hurry up and complete the ring road to ease the traffic especially around control post stretching all the way to Orji. Owerri happens to be a nodal city (multi-city junction) and a ring road or by passes are needed to deflect traffic from town.
Re: What City And State Is This? by redsun(m): 9:40am On Oct 02, 2011
We should never cease to improve and take pride in our surroundings.Cleanliness is nest to godliness,it state lf supreme and state of control.
Re: What City And State Is This? by Nobody: 9:42am On Oct 02, 2011
The Popular Okigwe roundabout with Rochas foundation Building adjoining. Home sweet home!
Re: What City And State Is This? by Abagworo(m): 9:53am On Oct 02, 2011
FACE:

Abia governor should be tied to a stake and all Aba residents allowed to take turns in flogging him with doctors on standby to resuscitate him should they need to do so in order not to derail the flogging exercise. Aba was well planned and all it needs is some cosmetic dressing and I can't understand how anyone could derive pleasure from starving his cash cow.

As as per Owerri anyi, I just love it as nwa Owere. However, the govt should come up with a fast solution to check the traffic menace which is now a nightmare. The city has expanded rapidly in the last few years and and it looks like there are a lot more cars on the roads these days, therefore Rochas should hurry up and complete the ring road to ease the traffic especially around control post stretching all the way to Orji. Owerri happens to be a nodal city (multi-city junction) and a ring road or by passes are needed to deflect traffic from town.

The reason for the traffic is increased influx of people during weekends.An evidence to this is the lack of space in virtually all the hotels inspite of the very significant number of hotels in this small city.
What I love about Owerri is the land acquisition method.What led to the fall of Port-Harcourt is uncontrolled sale of land by the indigenes.In Owerri government pays indigenes for a large area of land and creates access roads and planned layouts before selling to the public.That way the development is controlled by the OCDA and houses are built according to plan.
The bad part of Owerri which is Orji and Amakohia/Akwakuma are results of conurbation of adjoining villages but Imo State government under Udenwa shifted development towards Ohaji where there is enough room for planned city growth.
Re: What City And State Is This? by redsun(m): 10:07am On Oct 02, 2011
I have been more around the world than i have been around nigerian cities.It is a shame really but with loads to do,more adventures,more exploring and more fun.

I have been to umuahia and i love the place.Relatively clean,descent and plan for nigerian rogue standard,back then.
Re: What City And State Is This? by chino11(m): 12:02pm On Oct 02, 2011
But I think Imo state does not start and end with owerre. They should move development to other regions of the state thereby creating enabling environment for growth. Respective govts in imo state has not done more than painting existing roads and streets. Owerre is quite too small for a drop of paint to hide in the people's eyes, I think they should do more to expand the town and do more to develop the adjoining towns (Okigwe/orlu) for economic growth. There is no need to glorify already small town of owerre. Goodluck as you look beyond mere road paintings

1 Like

Re: What City And State Is This? by Abagworo(m): 1:34pm On Oct 02, 2011
chino11:

But I think Imo state does not start and end with owerre. They should move development to other regions of the state thereby creating enabling environment for growth. Respective govts in imo state has not done more than painting existing roads and streets. Owerre is quite too small for a drop of paint to hide in the people's eyes, I think they should do more to expand the town and do more to develop the adjoining towns (Okigwe/orlu) for economic growth. There is no need to glorify already small town of owerre. Goodluck as you look beyond mere road paintings

I think Imo State is fairly developed at all corners.All the towns cannot be as large as Owerri but almost the entire federal roads in Imo State are better than the rest of the country.It is easily the most educated State in Nigeria as well as it has been leading in number of admissions and graduations for the past 30 years.The only thing we lack is industrialisation and commerce but I don't believe everywhere in Nigeria should be like Lagos.Abuja is what Imo State looks like.
Re: What City And State Is This? by deols(f): 1:48pm On Oct 02, 2011
av bn to owerri nd where i was, was really beautiful. I cld almost not believe it wink wink smiley
Re: What City And State Is This? by ak47mann(m): 2:51pm On Oct 02, 2011
Abagworo:

I think Imo State is fairly developed at all corners.All the towns cannot be as large as Owerri but almost the entire federal roads in Imo State are better than the rest of the country.[b]It is easily the most educated State in Nigeria as well as it has been leading in number of admissions and graduations for the past 30 years.[/b]The only thing we lack is industrialisation and commerce but I don't believe everywhere in Nigeria should be like Lagos.Abuja is what Imo State looks like.
bolded u lie there, IMO state indigence are well educated true but not the most educated state i dont think so anambra state have a lot of highly intellectual people, chinua Achebe  emeagwali,and many more,
Re: What City And State Is This? by Abagworo(m): 3:25pm On Oct 02, 2011
ak47mann:

bolded u lie there, IMO state indigence are well educated true but not the most educated state i dont think so anambra state have a lot of highly intellectual people, chinua Achebe  emeagwali,and many more, 

Those people are quite old.I mean presently.The statistics are there for everyone to access.This thread is aimed to show case the beauty of Imo State and not for comparison.
Re: What City And State Is This? by Nobody: 3:44pm On Oct 02, 2011
Legacies of the great Mbakwe.
Re: What City And State Is This? by chino11(m): 3:55pm On Oct 02, 2011
Abagworo:

I think Imo State is fairly developed at all corners.All the towns cannot be as large as Owerri but almost the entire federal roads in Imo State are better than the rest of the country.It is easily the most educated State in Nigeria as well as it has been leading in number of admissions and graduations for the past 30 years.The only thing we lack is industrialisation and commerce but I don't believe everywhere in Nigeria should be like Lagos.Abuja is what Imo State looks like.

This is the same lies you guys keeping telling yourselves, no wonder imo state cannot develop beyond wetheral and douglas roads. Its really a pity that successive govts imo state has not done anything for the economic emancipation of the state. As I said earlier owerre is far too small that any govt can deceive the people with few kilometers of roads. What has the govt done to elevate orlu and okigwe. So the same question still rears its ugly heads does imo state starts  and ends with owerre?? The owerre beauty your talking about is not beyond weatheral and douglas roads, the other places are quite rural and seeking for urgent attention. So don't rejoice over two painted roads and kerbs in the whole of the town. Again don't live in illusion of saying that imo has the most enlightened people, I think Anambra still parades best the SE and Nigeria can boost of yesterday and today.
Re: What City And State Is This? by kasiem(m): 4:13pm On Oct 02, 2011
Nwanna, iye egbukwo mmadu. Emezina ihe ka iha. But, the truth is that agulu is more beautiful than owerri.
Re: What City And State Is This? by Abagworo(m): 4:42pm On Oct 02, 2011
chino11:

This is the same lies you guys keeping telling yourselves, no wonder imo state cannot develop beyond wetheral and douglas roads. Its really a pity that successive govts imo state has not done anything for the economic emancipation of the state. As I said earlier owerre is far too small that any govt can deceive the people with few kilometers of roads. What has the govt done to elevate orlu and okigwe. So the same question still rears its ugly heads does imo state starts  and ends with owerre?? The owerre beauty your talking about is not beyond weatheral and douglas roads, the other places are quite rural and seeking for urgent attention. So don't rejoice over two painted roads and kerbs in the whole of the town. Again don't live in illusion of saying that imo has the most enlightened people, I think Anambra still parades best the SE and Nigeria can boost of yesterday and today.

I don't know why all these envious comments from a fellow Igbo.I have never compared Imo with Anambra but pictures and experience speak louder than words.
Re: What City And State Is This? by FACE(m): 7:37pm On Oct 02, 2011
Abagworo:

I don't know why all these envious comments from a fellow Igbo.I have never compared Imo with Anambra but pictures and experience speak louder than words.

I don't know why you have chosen to respond to the bitter people. If they have any point to prove, they should back it up with pictures and statistics.
Re: What City And State Is This? by Onlytruth(m): 7:58pm On Oct 02, 2011
Posted by: Abagworo

I don't know why all these envious comments from a fellow Igbo.[/b]I have never compared Imo with Anambra but pictures and experience speak louder than words.

Frankly I get offended by some of [b]Chino11
's comments sometimes, and I've told him a few times, but he is almost a lose cannon. I am a typical Anamabra guy, and know how Anambra folks approach issues. We are more nuanced in our views and criticisms of fellow Igbo states. Chino11 sounds "off the chain" and seems to quarrel with anyone that he thinks is about to take away "Anambra glory". The funny thing though is that most Anambra citizens are busy critiquing and criticizing their own governor and government, than have time to bring others down.

Owerri is a beautiful city.  cool It is left for Imolites to decide if and when they want to develop more cities. We all must approach development our own ways.

BTW Abagworo, would you know the range of prices for lands within 10 -15 minutes driving range of Owerri city center?
I gotta get me a land nearby.  cool
Re: What City And State Is This? by Abagworo(m): 11:25pm On Oct 02, 2011
more pix

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

A Re-run Election Is Imminent In R/s / Sanwo-olu Swears In Justice Kazeem Alogba As New Chief Judge, Lagos / Abia State Government Reacts To Attack On Ubani Market Police Station

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.