Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,882 members, 7,817,597 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 03:14 PM

Divorce Rate Among Yoruba Couples & Igbo Couples - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Divorce Rate Among Yoruba Couples & Igbo Couples (31216 Views)

Poll: Divorce Rate

Yoruba: 73% (105 votes)
Igbo: 26% (37 votes)
This poll has ended

Tribalism Among Yoruba People / Investigating Divorce Cases In Yorubaland. / Which Is Better: High Bride Price (igbo) & High Divorce Rate (hausa And Yoruba) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Divorce Rate Among Yoruba Couples & Igbo Couples by Nobody: 3:21pm On Oct 05, 2011
To my observation, I have noticed the divorce rate within the Yoruba's are higher than the Igbo's.

I'll blame the yoruba ladies for this in all ramifications.

Most igbo ladies are submissive, faithful and ve got respect to for their hubbies unlike the yoruba ones.

You will see an Igbo Couples living in 1 room and they are happily married for decades but
the yoruba's, jst few; the men changes wives like wrappers.

I believe the cause of their divorce are

* The ladies don't really appreciate and know the value of marriage - It's for better for worse. Many don't tend to give a damn when they divorce, after-all they will get another man that will put them at home.

* The Yoruba ones are kinda abusive - e.g. I wasn't the one that caused all the bad-luck you are experiencing instead of encouragement, I know it's from your silly family, look at u, is this where your mates are? etc, , they tend to look at their friend's marital affair and start comparing with theirs. This kind of statement provoke the men.

* Unlike the Igbo's you will hardly see a divorcee, I noticed they are kinda of satisfied with their husband irrespective of any situation they find themselves. I think it's part of their culture maybe a taboo to be sent out of the matrimonial home. I'm beginning to think maybe their mother's give them some extra-marital affair lessons before getting married and moving finally to their husband's home. I think the Yoruba ladies needs to go for an exchange program for moral lessons with the Igbo ladies in order to secure their marriages. 

Me personally find it hard to have a crush with the Yoruba girls, I've had bad experience with the few I met. I prefer the Igbo in terms of beauty and all. Seriously I won't mind settling down with an Igbo girl

I'm a Yoruba guy; it's not that I'm condemning the ladies but I believe they need to change their way of lifestyle and attitudes towards their men.

In conclusion; not all the Yoruba ladies tend to have this kind of attitude but most do, compared to the Igbo's

What do you folks think?

Argumentation/Suggestions are welcome!
Re: Divorce Rate Among Yoruba Couples & Igbo Couples by Nobody: 3:45pm On Oct 05, 2011
I'm free to argue, right? smiley

Ok! The post is lopsidedly tribalistic, as you dont have any records to corroborate your claims!. . . . Mind you, I'm Igbo! smiley
Re: Divorce Rate Among Yoruba Couples & Igbo Couples by Nayah(f): 3:46pm On Oct 05, 2011
Poster hope you won't be upset, but I wonder why everything is about tribes, divorce is about distance, disputes and misunderstanding now hope this thread won't derail
Re: Divorce Rate Among Yoruba Couples & Igbo Couples by Dabss(m): 3:54pm On Oct 05, 2011
^^^^ he is not saying that divorce isnt about misunderstanding.
He just observed that it is common among the yourba tribe.
@ op, lol
You havent heard about the hausas and something they call serki.
An average hausa man has married 8 times but according to their religion, they can only have four wives
Do the maths.
Re: Divorce Rate Among Yoruba Couples & Igbo Couples by Nayah(f): 3:55pm On Oct 05, 2011
^^ but let's see the next messages on this
Re: Divorce Rate Among Yoruba Couples & Igbo Couples by Dend(m): 3:57pm On Oct 05, 2011
FAAKAY, posting from personal EXPERIENCE!!! surely.
Re: Divorce Rate Among Yoruba Couples & Igbo Couples by Arkhin(m): 3:59pm On Oct 05, 2011
Hmmm, , well i think the problem is not with being Yoruba perse, because if you check our mothers,they stayed with our fathers through thick and thin. I think this issue of civilization and modernization contributes mostly to the rise in the epidermic. An average learned lady wants to be independent and submitting to one's husband becomes a difficult task to them.

1 Like

Re: Divorce Rate Among Yoruba Couples & Igbo Couples by Kulas: 5:27pm On Oct 05, 2011
One thing in this Nairaland is that even when somebody said life truth,people will take it as tribalistic act.What the writer said IS PURELY HUNDRED PERCENT TRUTH, and we all know its true. Igbo's naturally dont DIVORCE unlike Yoruba,despite the fact that IGBO BABES BY AVERAGE ARE THE MOST BEUATIFUL compared to Yorubas or can you also augue that one.In Every sampled hundred percent beautiful babes with igbo and Yorubas, seventy to eighty percent must be igbo babes.They are indeed more beautiful than their Yoruba counterparts.They value marriage than Yorubas,and we all know that it is true.

3 Likes

Re: Divorce Rate Among Yoruba Couples & Igbo Couples by tpia5: 7:29pm On Oct 05, 2011
divorce statistics arent a problem when you're disturbing non-nigerian women, but when you see a nigerian female you just run mouth anyhow like r.etards.

God save these males from whoever hung their senses in a secret place.

1 Like

Re: Divorce Rate Among Yoruba Couples & Igbo Couples by niggadee(m): 7:34pm On Oct 05, 2011
ode olodo
Re: Divorce Rate Among Yoruba Couples & Igbo Couples by tpia5: 7:34pm On Oct 05, 2011
I'm a Yoruba guy

undecided

i'm sure you're well aware of the yorubas with your attitude- mainly the downlows and bipolar ones who can pass through a minimum of ten women at various stages of their lifetime.

revolving door, so to speak. As soon as the woman enters the house they've already developed a plan on how to boot her out and replace her with another.

little stamina and bad character which gives you problems in life and all your relationships.

though i actually dont have much respect for those c.retins who go about trumpeting they're yoruba then proceed to bash the tribe, their mothers and female relatives.
Re: Divorce Rate Among Yoruba Couples & Igbo Couples by MrsChima1(f): 7:38pm On Oct 05, 2011
sexkillz:

I'm free to argue, right? smiley

Ok! The post is lopsidedly tribalistic, as you dont have any records to corroborate your claims!. . . . Mind you, I'm Igbo! smiley

I knew you were IGBO! cheesy
Re: Divorce Rate Among Yoruba Couples & Igbo Couples by Nobody: 7:47pm On Oct 05, 2011
^^ How'd you know? Did you sniff the Air? grin grin
Re: Divorce Rate Among Yoruba Couples & Igbo Couples by Dyt(f): 7:56pm On Oct 05, 2011
Alaini nnkan se omo kekere ( jobless kid)
Re: Divorce Rate Among Yoruba Couples & Igbo Couples by coogar: 8:05pm On Oct 05, 2011
faakay:

To my observation, I have noticed the divorce rate within the Yoruba's are higher than the Igbo's.

I'll blame the yoruba ladies for this in all ramifications.

Most igbo ladies are submissive, faithful and ve got respect to for their hubbies unlike the yoruba ones.

You will see an Igbo Couples living in 1 room and they are happily married for decades but
the yoruba's, jst few; the men changes wives like wrappers.

I believe the cause of their divorce are

* The ladies don't really appreciate and know the value of marriage - It's for better for worse. Many don't tend to give a damn when they divorce, after-all they will get another man that will put them at home.

* The Yoruba ones are kinda abusive - e.g. I wasn't the one that caused all the bad-luck you are experiencing instead of encouragement, I know it's from your silly family, look at u, is this where your mates are? etc, , they tend to look at their friend's marital affair and start comparing with theirs. This kind of statement provoke the men.

* Unlike the Igbo's you will hardly see a divorcee, I noticed they are kinda of satisfied with their husband irrespective of any situation they find themselves. I think it's part of their culture maybe a taboo to be sent out of the matrimonial home. I'm beginning to think maybe their mother's give them some extra-marital affair lessons before getting married and moving finally to their husband's home. I think the Yoruba ladies needs to go for an exchange program for moral lessons with the Igbo ladies in order to secure their marriages. 

Me personally find it hard to have a crush with the Yoruba girls, I've had bad experience with the few I met. I prefer the Igbo in terms of beauty and all. Seriously I won't mind settling down with an Igbo girl

I'm a Yoruba guy; it's not that I'm condemning the ladies but I believe they need to change their way of lifestyle and attitudes towards their men.

In conclusion; not all the Yoruba ladies tend to have this kind of attitude but most do, compared to the Igbo's

What do you folks think?

Argumentation/Suggestions are welcome!

i don't agree entirely with everything you have said but i get the drift of this.

of course, yoruba marriages don't last the igbo ones which i believe it's more to do with the cultural issues. the igbos take their marriages more seriously. you would be hard-pressed to see an igbo man with more than one wife but the yorubas can marry as many as they wish.

secondly, when an igbo woman is given to you in marriage, her father/family does not expect her back in that village - i believe that is why they charge whatever they can squeeze for her brideprice but the yorubas don't demand a lot. if you mess with their daughter, her father would readily take her back and hope she finds a new partner in future.

those are the little differences i can sniff between the two groups of people!

1 Like

Re: Divorce Rate Among Yoruba Couples & Igbo Couples by abrahym(m): 8:13pm On Oct 05, 2011
una don bring tribalism come nairaland?
Re: Divorce Rate Among Yoruba Couples & Igbo Couples by MrsChima1(f): 8:24pm On Oct 05, 2011
sexkillz:

^^ How'd you know? Did you sniff the Air? grin grin

It was the beans and moin moin. tongue
Re: Divorce Rate Among Yoruba Couples & Igbo Couples by Nobody: 8:29pm On Oct 05, 2011
Mrs, Chima:

It was the beans and moin moin. tongue
Hmm! Your favorite! Hope Mr Chima Copes with the gas you get from beans and Moin moin! grin grin grin grin I swear, i wont want to be in his shoes when it starts! grin grin tongue tongue
Re: Divorce Rate Among Yoruba Couples & Igbo Couples by Tosinville(m): 9:28pm On Oct 05, 2011
OP, you're a disgrace to ur mama if u are, but claiming to be a yoruba guy while you aint one.

Look man, every tribes in Nigeria has their own prons & cons, reason why most igbo women are submissive is because majority of them depends on their husbands for daily bread unlike the yoruba women who always try their best possible to be independent even thru menial jobs cos they believe men & their jobs are unreliable.

My neighbour who's an igbo man got fired at his working place (oceanic bank) and after 4months his wife who happens to be a full housewife dump his arse and leave his apartment straight away with her kids, tell me is that not an igbo woman? if you don't hit ur spouse or chase another woman in marriage then you're good with yoruba women.

Who says igbo women are more beautiful than the yoruba women? hahahaha! some lil boys always hurting on here just because they can't get what they want in a lady. Poster, pls upload ur pic maybe you're ugly, yoruba women are too expensive for your type just accept ur fate, bros! cos ur look alone can pay all the price lol
Re: Divorce Rate Among Yoruba Couples & Igbo Couples by MrsChima1(f): 9:35pm On Oct 05, 2011
Now Yoruba women are expensive? undecided undecided undecided

First it was Fulani women, follow by Edo women, then Igbo women, and now its Yoruba women?

Are there any more expensive women? undecided
Re: Divorce Rate Among Yoruba Couples & Igbo Couples by Dabss(m): 9:37pm On Oct 05, 2011
Mrs, Chima:

First it was Fulani women, follow by Edo women, then Igbo women, and now its Yoruba women?

i was about to ask the same thing
Re: Divorce Rate Among Yoruba Couples & Igbo Couples by slimyem: 9:42pm On Oct 05, 2011
Op,Now,this is what i call unfair generalization and baseless argument.
I wont be a party to it.
M out!
Re: Divorce Rate Among Yoruba Couples & Igbo Couples by Tosinville(m): 9:47pm On Oct 05, 2011
Anyone on here who get hurt just because they can't get yoruba women shows yoruba women are too expensive for them, let them go after calabar women that you'll only buy them dog meat & palm wine to fukc them. Shekinah!
Re: Divorce Rate Among Yoruba Couples & Igbo Couples by tashanja(m): 9:57pm On Oct 05, 2011
One major contributory factor among other possibilities is probably the high bride price which Igbos pay for their women. I can't imagine its that easy for an Igbo man lose such high investment in a wife or for her family to have to return same in event of a divorce - I am sure there are many other reasons but this one really stands out.
Re: Divorce Rate Among Yoruba Couples & Igbo Couples by Nobody: 9:57pm On Oct 05, 2011
Of course some Yoruba women are abusive.

1. We dont sit like doormats and let one man abuse us

2. We are ready to leave the marriage than die in the marriage

3. Who stays with a man who ends up bringing home another woman just because his first wife can't give him a son?

IMO, the worst thing that ever hit Yorubaland IS the religion of Islam. Marrying as many wife as possible. Disgusting things.

On avg, Yoruba women EXPECT more from their Husband, they expect them to be men that can provide for the family. Even tho Yoruba women bring him their own money.

Na Africa culture go kill all of una. If you cant be men, then we're allowed to divorce no?

I see many Yoruba women in my area who I believe should have divorce their useless fuji husbands a loooooonnng time ago, but culture is still binding those ones. The smart ones have moved on to better life.
Re: Divorce Rate Among Yoruba Couples & Igbo Couples by Nobody: 10:00pm On Oct 05, 2011
Mrs, Chima:

You have to understand that on avg, Naija men are stingy. So anything is expensive to them.

Nigerian men. . . . God help those women who ends up with you guys. undecided
Re: Divorce Rate Among Yoruba Couples & Igbo Couples by Nobody: 10:27pm On Oct 05, 2011
Tosinville:

OP, you're a disgrace to your mama if u are, but claiming to be a yoruba guy while you aint one.

Look man, every tribes in Nigeria has their own prons & cons, reason why most igbo women are submissive is because majority of them depends on their husbands for daily bread unlike the yoruba women who always try their best possible to be independent even thru menial jobs cos they believe men & their jobs are unreliable.

My neighbour who's an igbo man got fired at his working place (oceanic bank) and after 4months his wife who happens to be a full housewife dump his arse and leave his apartment straight away with her kids, tell me is that not an igbo woman? if you don't hit your spouse or chase another woman in marriage then you're good with yoruba women.

Who says igbo women are more beautiful than the yoruba women? hahahaha! some lil boys always hurting on here just because they can't get what they want in a lady. Poster, pls upload your pic maybe you're ugly, yoruba women are too expensive for your type just accept your fate, bros! cos your look alone can pay all the price lol

I'm not saying all tribes don't ve their own disadvantages! I'm talking about the divorce rate generally man!

y shld i upload ma pics? will it solve your problem? i go jst buga u! go and sleep man! u dnt need it

who told u that they are expensive for me? I'm I talking about expensive here or divorce ?

Have said mine, the truth hurts lol. if u folks like reign abuses on me, who cares?

Kulas:

One thing in this Nairaland is that even when somebody said life truth,people will take it as tribalistic act.

Don't mind them jare! some ppl jst talk rubbish online rather than yarning whats happening in the real world

Dyt:

Alaini nnkan se omo kekere ( jobless kid)

whoo said I'm a kid?  eyin agbalagba! e ma pele o! e ri nkan so si, iru ni nani a so! ti o ma nfi enu wa rough
Re: Divorce Rate Among Yoruba Couples & Igbo Couples by Dyt(f): 2:10am On Oct 06, 2011
Shut up n go wash ur mamas pant
unam ikot
Re: Divorce Rate Among Yoruba Couples & Igbo Couples by tpia5: 2:31am On Oct 06, 2011
Poster you need to come out of the closet.

You know your secret would never be safe with a yoruba woman so i dont blame you for travelling hundreds or thousands of miles to find a SO.
Re: Divorce Rate Among Yoruba Couples & Igbo Couples by Ranoscky(m): 3:36am On Oct 06, 2011
Interesting!

Make I sidan and relax jejely, dey enjoy d thread jare!

*pops out one bottle of Carlsberg in the fridge to entertain himself, along!*
Re: Divorce Rate Among Yoruba Couples & Igbo Couples by kodewrita(m): 8:45am On Oct 06, 2011
Though They will disagree vigorously but I see many tribalist threads usually started by people intent on painting the Yoruba black. Except for misguided brethren like musiwa, fstranger and the lot, I dont see yorubas deliberately starting threads bashing the igbos. Why the hate?
Re: Divorce Rate Among Yoruba Couples & Igbo Couples by Nobody: 8:51am On Oct 06, 2011
@dyt. U re jst an attention seeker, i knw get ur time. @tpia, im not getting ur drift. Wat kind of secret? U mean dey dnt kip secret or wat? As long as u re married secret re meant to be shared btw both parties.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Ooni Ogunwusi & Wuraola Visit Tukur In Abuja - Photos / Popular Masquerades In Nigeria / Ezeuzu Awka Officially Opens His New Palace (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.