Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,356 members, 7,819,272 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 01:35 PM

Divorce Rate Among Yoruba Couples & Igbo Couples - Culture (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Divorce Rate Among Yoruba Couples & Igbo Couples (31232 Views)

Poll: Divorce Rate

Yoruba: 73% (105 votes)
Igbo: 26% (37 votes)
This poll has ended

Tribalism Among Yoruba People / Investigating Divorce Cases In Yorubaland. / Which Is Better: High Bride Price (igbo) & High Divorce Rate (hausa And Yoruba) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Divorce Rate Among Yoruba Couples & Igbo Couples by Diligence: 3:42pm On Oct 08, 2011
Even the yorubas know that the proclivity to promiscuity is alarmg and they can't help it; i believe is rather embedded in their culture, this often results to divorce. They hv got to go back to the roots of this lifestyle and salvage the situation!
Re: Divorce Rate Among Yoruba Couples & Igbo Couples by rhymz(m): 4:57pm On Oct 08, 2011
Yoruba women liberated?? What does that even mean? Some folks here just like to make faulty assumptions to defend the indefencible sha. So Igbo women are in bondage, abi all because they are ready to see their marriages work and do not consider divorce as an option.
Some are even trying to make out Yoruba women as this no-nonsense, less submissive amazons. Anyway, I find it funny that only Yoruba people have such views of their women like that cos in reality they are the most docile and extremely submissive women in the pack if we were to take a sample space of Nigerian Southern Women.
Sentiments aside, I have had my own fair share of Yoruba sweethearts and I make bold to say that their women are very submissive, docile and easy to please. If we were talking on average terms, those of us that have dated women outside of our tribe can attest to the fact that Igbo women will consider a lot of things before they agree to date you let alone marry you. It is common knowledge that just like their counter part, Igbo women are agressive and a lil headstrong, you as a man will have to earn their submission to you, you won't get it on a platter hence the general saying that Igbo girls like money cos they won't even look at your face if you are not on the average, financially well off to keep up with the financial demands of a serious and intersting relationship.
Truth be told, if we were to compare who is more submissive & subservient in a relationship between Igbo women and Yoruba women, the latter will come tops.
Yet submissiveness or the lack of it can not realy account for the high incidences of divorce and separation among yoruba families and couples, especially when it is compared to the very conservative Igbo families. It is even laughable to want to attribute it to Yoruba women being liberated cos in my humble opinion, there are far more uneducated & unexposed Yoruba women than can be said of Igbo women. Also, even here in Lagos, there are more financially well off Igbo people( both males and females) than their yoruba counterparts. These people have got the money to get all the freedom, exposure and liberation ideology they want not to talk of the Igbos in both the SE and SS region, many of whom are not any different financially from their brothers in west. In fact, if there is any culture that encourages liberation, self-reliance and sufficiency it is the Igbo culture. That is why an average Igbo man is more inclined to having his own business than wait for eternity for some high paying white collar jobs. So the argument of Yoruba women being liberated more than their igbo counterpart has no iota of realism in its claims if were to look at things devoid of any sentiments. Yoruba women are not any more liberated than their Igbo counterparts, lets not make hasty assumptions and conclusions based on what we see alone in Lagos. There are just as much Igbo women in business, if not more sef as their yoruba counterparts. Just as it can be claimed that Yoruba women engage in commerce likewise is the case of Igbo women, the only difference here is that she in not neccessarily the bread winner of the family unlike the yoruba women whose husbands most times do not show any serious sense of responsibility towards both the woman and the childrien.
In conclusion, I believe culture and traditional beliefs play a very big role in how marriages in these two tribes fare in the long run. Cultural idiosyncracies, traditional views on divorce and what is generally accepted by the customs of these two tribes.
Re: Divorce Rate Among Yoruba Couples & Igbo Couples by ThiefOfHearts(f): 5:51pm On Oct 08, 2011
My question is why is this hungry Rhyms so obsessed with this. writing epistles that no sane person will bother to read. Get over it. People cant even write anything without this dork coming with his sermon yarning dust in response. Alafishe.
Re: Divorce Rate Among Yoruba Couples & Igbo Couples by abadaba(m): 10:06pm On Oct 08, 2011
ThiefOfHearts:

My question is why is this hungry Rhyms so obsessed with this. writing epistles that no sane person will bother to read. Get over it. People cant even write anything without this dork coming with his sermon yarning dust in response. Alafishe.
Don't be insultive you daughter of a prostitutee.
EADIOT.
Re: Divorce Rate Among Yoruba Couples & Igbo Couples by aloyemeka1: 10:28pm On Oct 08, 2011
tpia@:

Born2fuck aka walestar came out of p.ornography section to contribute to the thread.

I guess the op is his buddy cos i cant think of any other explanation.

The most entertaining comment on this thread so far. grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Divorce Rate Among Yoruba Couples & Igbo Couples by neey1051(m): 10:47pm On Oct 08, 2011
coogar:

i humbly reiterate, you are a twunt!

M U M U
Re: Divorce Rate Among Yoruba Couples & Igbo Couples by ThiefOfHearts(f): 7:52am On Oct 09, 2011
abadaba:

My name is abadaba and my mother is a harlot

My condolences. Oloriburuku omo embarassed
Re: Divorce Rate Among Yoruba Couples & Igbo Couples by Ybutterfly: 12:55pm On Oct 09, 2011
rhymz:
, even here in Lagos, there are more financially well off Igbo people( both males and females) than their yoruba counterparts. These people have got the money to get all the freedom, exposure and liberation ideology they want not to talk of the Igbos in both the SE and SS region, many of whom are not any different financially from their brothers in west. In fact, if there is any culture that encourages liberation, self-reliance and sufficiency it is the Igbo culture.

^^^^^^^^^yeah right stop lying, 80% of the population in Lagos, Nigeria is Yoruba and many of them have businesses and more money then igbo's there. less then 30% of the population is igbo & other tribes in Lagos. there is nothing wrong with them having business in Lagos but Lagos is Yorubaland, so why are you showing off about igbo's who left the east like enugu and etc and did business in Lagos. If you guys are so perfect with business go back to the east and set up business there: http://www.city-data.com/world-cities/Lagos.html

Most of the money of that state is generated by Yoruba's and it makes sense, most of the money in Enugu is generated by igbo's. I'm Yoruba and your claim is rubbish; if you were right why does Lagos give free education(thank God for Awolowo was there for Yoruba's) but the east no such thing; knock it off with the fairy tales. If Yoruba was so poor they would have been running out of Lagos but the are more inclined to stay in Lagos and yorubaland but it is igbo that are running to yorubaland, so don't show off here.

^^^^^^stop chopping off your wives: http://lindaikeji..com/2008/08/nigerian-men-are-killing-their-wives-in.html
kidnapping like no tomorrow in the east: http://allafrica.com/stories/201006281327.html  grin, comparing yourselves to Yoruba in every thread to make yourselves feel important.
Re: Divorce Rate Among Yoruba Couples & Igbo Couples by ThiefOfHearts(f): 6:46pm On Oct 09, 2011
Ybutterfly:

^^^^^^^^^yeah right stop lying, 80% of the population in Lagos, Nigeria is Yoruba and many of them have businesses and more money then igbo's there. less then 30% of the population is igbo & other tribes in Lagos. there is nothing wrong with them having business in Lagos but Lagos is Yorubaland, so why are you showing off about igbo's who left the east like enugu and etc and did business in Lagos. If you guys are so perfect with business go back to the east and set up business there: http://www.city-data.com/world-cities/Lagos.html

Most of the money of that state is generated by Yoruba's and it makes sense, most of the money in Enugu is generated by igbo's. I'm Yoruba and your claim is rubbish; if you were right why does Lagos give free education(thank God for Awolowo was there for Yoruba's) but the east no such thing; knock it off with the fairy tales. If Yoruba was so poor they would have been running out of Lagos but the are more inclined to stay in Lagos and yorubaland but it is igbo that are running to yorubaland, so don't show off here.

^^^^^^stop chopping off your wives: http://lindaikeji..com/2008/08/nigerian-men-are-killing-their-wives-in.html
kidnapping like no tomorrow in the east: http://allafrica.com/stories/201006281327.html  grin, comparing yourselves to Yoruba in every thread to make yourselves feel important.

Thank you jare. Are you minding that clown? How is someone so proud that they left their towns to open businesses in YORUBALAND? Alailojuti.
Re: Divorce Rate Among Yoruba Couples & Igbo Couples by aljharem3: 7:50pm On Oct 09, 2011
rhymz:

Yoruba women liberated?? What does that even mean? Some folks here just like to make faulty assumptions to defend the indefencible sha. So Igbo women are in bondage, abi all because they are ready to see their marriages work and do not consider divorce as an option.
Some are even trying to make out Yoruba women as this no-nonsense, less submissive amazons. Anyway, I find it funny that only Yoruba people have such views of their women like that cos in reality they are the most docile and extremely submissive women in the pack if we were to take a sample space of Nigerian Southern Women.
Sentiments aside, I have had my own fair share of Yoruba sweethearts and I make bold to say that their women are very submissive, docile and easy to please. If we were talking on average terms, those of us that have dated women outside of our tribe can attest to the fact that Igbo women will consider a lot of things before they agree to date you let alone marry you. It is common knowledge that just like their counter part, Igbo women are agressive and a lil headstrong, you as a man will have to earn their submission to you, you won't get it on a platter hence the general saying that Igbo girls like money cos they won't even look at your face if you are not on the average, financially well off to keep up with the financial demands of a serious and intersting relationship.
Truth be told, if we were to compare who is more submissive & subservient in a relationship between Igbo women and Yoruba women, the latter will come tops.
Yet submissiveness or the lack of it can not realy account for the high incidences of divorce and separation among yoruba families and couples, especially when it is compared to the very conservative Igbo families. It is even laughable to want to attribute it to Yoruba women being liberated cos in my humble opinion, there are far more uneducated & unexposed Yoruba women than can be said of Igbo women. Also, even here in Lagos, there are more financially well off Igbo people( both males and females) than their yoruba counterparts. These people have got the money to get all the freedom, exposure and liberation ideology they want not to talk of the Igbos in both the SE and SS region, many of whom are not any different financially from their brothers in west. In fact, if there is any culture that encourages liberation, self-reliance and sufficiency it is the Igbo culture. That is why an average Igbo man is more inclined to having his own business than wait for eternity for some high paying white collar jobs. So the argument of Yoruba women being liberated more than their igbo counterpart has no iota of realism in its claims if were to look at things devoid of any sentiments. Yoruba women are not any more liberated than their Igbo counterparts, lets not make hasty assumptions and conclusions based on what we see alone in Lagos. There are just as much Igbo women in business, if not more sef as their yoruba counterparts. Just as it can be claimed that Yoruba women engage in commerce likewise is the case of Igbo women, the only difference here is that she in not neccessarily the bread winner of the family unlike the yoruba women whose husbands most times do not show any serious sense of responsibility towards both the woman and the childrien.
In conclusion, I believe culture and traditional beliefs play a very big role in how marriages in these two tribes fare in the long run. Cultural idiosyncracies, traditional views on divorce and what is generally accepted by the customs of these two tribes.

Bros na wa for u o grin grin grin grin
Re: Divorce Rate Among Yoruba Couples & Igbo Couples by rhymz(m): 2:39am On Oct 10, 2011
alj_harem:

Bros na wa for u o grin grin grin grin
Hey you!! It is understandable if your peanut brain finds it hard to help you comprehend.
I aint your usual average, go and look for your kind, I'm way above your league.
I have got nothing else to say to a slowpoke!!
ThiefOfHearts:

Thank you jare. Are you minding that clown? How is someone so proud that they left their towns to open businesses in YORUBALAND? Alailojuti.
Obviously, you are either an accidental product of a failed marriage or you are a divocee as well. . LoL . . I am not sorry for harshly describing your situation. Anyway, I'm not interested in exchanging childish temper tantrums with a loser like you, I would advice you face the issue being discussed and argue your point like you have got some brain in that thick skull of yours.
If my views makes you mad and gives you stomach ulcer then I am all too glad to do so. Even if you drop dead this minute nobody will notice, it will just be a case of one less nitwit out of this world to make it a better place.
Re: Divorce Rate Among Yoruba Couples & Igbo Couples by ThiefOfHearts(f): 5:19am On Oct 10, 2011
Notice how that omo ale didnt respond to Ybutterfly but decided to run his dirty phaggot mouth at me instead. Typical adodi, they cant argue with a dude, instead they take out their psychosis on women. Predictable SOB.
Re: Divorce Rate Among Yoruba Couples & Igbo Couples by chines4(m): 11:19am On Oct 10, 2011
Thiefofhearts and Ybutterfly, Did any Igbo guy or babe break your hearts. why the venom in your responses
Re: Divorce Rate Among Yoruba Couples & Igbo Couples by ThiefOfHearts(f): 12:57pm On Oct 10, 2011
Na only venom? cheesy
Re: Divorce Rate Among Yoruba Couples & Igbo Couples by rhymz(m): 2:28am On Oct 11, 2011
chines4:

Thiefofhearts and Ybutterfly, Did any Igbo guy or babe break your hearts. why the venom in your responses
Ybutterfly is an ignorant MOFO, giving response to his mumbo-jumbo and junk statistics will be giving him an undeserving credibility. Kid is all BRAWN and no BRAINS. Imagine the dolt claiming that Lagos is 80% Yoruba, why will any intelligent person indulge the kid and his crass ignorance? Let him get high on his own supply Jare!!
As for that unfortunate genetic garbage that calls herself a Thief, She can fall & die, who cares about what she has to say: it's all petty gutter lingos hurriedly put together in Yoruba language. That is my expectation of her, I will be surprised if she did not flaunt her ghetto abilities when intimidated by her superiors.
Sucks to be you. . Muheheheheheh
Re: Divorce Rate Among Yoruba Couples & Igbo Couples by rhymz(m): 2:30am On Oct 11, 2011
chines4:

Ybutterfly is an ignorant MOFO, giving response to his mumbo-jumbo and junk statistics will be giving him an undeserving credibility. Kid is all BRAWN and no BRAINS. Imagine the dolt claiming that Lagos is 80% Yoruba, why will any intelligent person indulge the kid and his crass ignorance? Let him get high on his own supply Jare!!
As for that unfortunate genetic garbage that calls herself a Thief, She can fall & die, who cares about what she has to say: it's all petty gutter lingos hurriedly put together in Yoruba language. That is my expectation of her, I will be surprised if she did not flaunt her ghetto abilities when intimidated by her superiors.
Re: Divorce Rate Among Yoruba Couples & Igbo Couples by rhymz(m): 2:33am On Oct 11, 2011
chines4:

Re: Divorce Rate Among Yoruba Couples & Igbo Couples by rhymz(m): 2:37am On Oct 11, 2011
chines4:

Re: Divorce Rate Among Yoruba Couples & Igbo Couples by tpia5: 2:40am On Oct 11, 2011
Imagine the dolt claiming that Lagos is 80% Yoruba

wow, so you really persuaded yourself lagos isnt yoruba?
Re: Divorce Rate Among Yoruba Couples & Igbo Couples by OgidiBoy(m): 2:41am On Oct 11, 2011
Holy smokes, I just looked at the Votes and Yoruba is at 97% shocked shocked shocked shocked

I think the Mods are manipulating the votes, cause if the results of the poll

is true, it means that 1 out of 3 marriages in yorubaland ends in divorce.

Very sad, what ever happened to for better or for worst. cry
Re: Divorce Rate Among Yoruba Couples & Igbo Couples by tpia5: 2:43am On Oct 11, 2011
credulity is indeed much on nl.
Re: Divorce Rate Among Yoruba Couples & Igbo Couples by ThiefOfHearts(f): 4:28am On Oct 11, 2011
OgidiBoy:

Holy smokes, I just looked at the Votes and Yoruba is at 97% shocked shocked shocked shocked

I think the Mods are manipulating the votes, cause if the results of the poll

is true, it means that 1 out of 3 marriages in yorubaland ends in divorce.

Very sad, what ever happened to for better or for worst. cry

why are you so concerned? wetin be your own? abeg take your fake "sympathy" comot. worry about the dead Igbo wives in the states. Olofo.
Re: Divorce Rate Among Yoruba Couples & Igbo Couples by rhymz(m): 4:56am On Oct 11, 2011
chines4:

Re: Divorce Rate Among Yoruba Couples & Igbo Couples by aljharem3: 5:02am On Oct 11, 2011
rhymz:

bros how was ur day, hope everything is going well ? smiley

Bros again na wa for u o grin

take it easy bro, you are fighting with women/girls for the past 3 days on this same thread embarassed

anyway take care brother. smiley
Re: Divorce Rate Among Yoruba Couples & Igbo Couples by ThiefOfHearts(f): 6:05am On Oct 11, 2011
alj_harem:

take it easy bro, you are fighting with women/girls for the past 3 days on this same thread embarassed

What were you expecting from a phaggot?
Re: Divorce Rate Among Yoruba Couples & Igbo Couples by Nobody: 6:39am On Oct 11, 2011
lol.

I wonder why Igbo men are fighting the "abuse" and "violent" claim, but Igbo women are not. hmmm

All in all, I no be Yoruba man property, but if my non-yoruba hubby should misbehave (there's a limit sha), na so I go disown am tongue Na me, Yoruba woman talk am o.
Re: Divorce Rate Among Yoruba Couples & Igbo Couples by OneNaira6: 8:04am On Oct 11, 2011
Who cares? All this Igbo against Yoruba threads are unnecessary.

These two tribes haven't realized anonymous individuals are dogging them against each other for their own enjoyment.

Wake up angry
Re: Divorce Rate Among Yoruba Couples & Igbo Couples by rhymz(m): 12:12pm On Oct 11, 2011
alj_harem:

bros how was your day, hope everything is going well ? smiley

Bros again na wa for u o grin

anyway take care brother. smiley
RETARDEEN ODECHI Alja-wateva da fck U call Urself these days, Pls don't quote me again or make any dumb references to me again, I don't do DUMBos!!! You can practice your lame sarcasm with your co-eadiots like the three women that're giving you a hard-on over the internet, those Biaaatches can go suck on a FAT ONE, I don't give a rat a$$ about their views, they are lame anyway. Now pack well, MUR'FCKIN slowpoke!!
Re: Divorce Rate Among Yoruba Couples & Igbo Couples by Ybutterfly: 12:56pm On Oct 11, 2011
rhymz:

Imagine the dolt claiming that Lagos is 80% Yoruba

^^^^^^^^^because it is true, Lagos is Yorubaland and I already put the source's up showing that Yoruba's make up that percentage( two thirds to 80% of the population in Lagos state is Yoruba, which makes sense because that is yoruba land territory, the official language there is Yoruba, etc: http://www.city-data.com/world-cities/Lagos.html

^^^^^^^^^Go back to Enugu and your territory, and leave Lagos alone where it belongs Yorubaland
Re: Divorce Rate Among Yoruba Couples & Igbo Couples by Ybutterfly: 1:00pm On Oct 11, 2011
One_Naira:

Who cares?  All this Igbo against Yoruba threads are unnecessary. 

These two tribes haven't realized anonymous individuals are dogging them against each other for their own enjoyment.

Wake up angry

^^^^^^^^no I am not you guys did that yourselves when you did yoruba bashing threads, so you guys were fighting each other already. I am enjoying some of you igbo guys getting a taste of you own medicine. Next time keep the yoruba people out of your mouths, since all you can do is talk trash about them, because we are not your people.

^^^^^^^^don't use me as a excuse because your own people started it, I am just retaliating, enough is enough
Re: Divorce Rate Among Yoruba Couples & Igbo Couples by Ybutterfly: 1:05pm On Oct 11, 2011
chines4:

NO, Is that your explanation; well I am just letting you guys see a taste of you own medicine, stop talking trash about Yoruba's on nairaland
Re: Divorce Rate Among Yoruba Couples & Igbo Couples by chines4(m): 1:08pm On Oct 11, 2011
rhymz:

RETARDEEN ODECHI Alja-wateva da fck U call Urself these days, Pls don't quote me again or make any dumb references to me again, I don't do DUMBos!!! You can practice your lame sarcasm with your co-eadiots like the three women that're giving you a hard-on over the internet, those Biaaatches can go suck on a FAT ONE, I don't give a rat a$$ about their views, they are lame anyway. Now pack well, MUR'FCKIN slowpoke!!
Bros I seriously don't Understand you. Do you derive joy in insulting people?

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Ooni Ogunwusi & Wuraola Visit Tukur In Abuja - Photos / Popular Masquerades In Nigeria / Ooni Of Ife And 3rd Wife, Olori Tobi Welcome Twins

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 108
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.