Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,593 members, 7,809,152 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 01:32 AM

Divorce Rate Among Yoruba Couples & Igbo Couples - Culture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Divorce Rate Among Yoruba Couples & Igbo Couples (31167 Views)

Poll: Divorce Rate

Yoruba: 73% (105 votes)
Igbo: 26% (37 votes)
This poll has ended

Tribalism Among Yoruba People / Investigating Divorce Cases In Yorubaland. / Which Is Better: High Bride Price (igbo) & High Divorce Rate (hausa And Yoruba) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Divorce Rate Among Yoruba Couples & Igbo Couples by splitnaija(m): 3:35pm On Oct 06, 2011
Good Girl:

Some even go to the point of GOING DOWN ON THEIR KNEES to plead with a husband/boyfriend not to leave her. . . .!! Jesus Christ of Nazareth. . .!! I think that's a bit on the extreme. . . !!

That's how to be a Good Girl Woman in Africa grin cheesy grin cheesy cheesy
Re: Divorce Rate Among Yoruba Couples & Igbo Couples by MrsChima1(f): 3:36pm On Oct 06, 2011
ThiefOfHearts:

omar, you hit the nail on the head. Na greed dey do them.

People complain that a Yoruba father will readily take his daughter back if the marriage becomes unbearable. THANK YOU LORD FOR CARING YORUBA FATHERS. That dont think they should push their children back into a snake pit just because they dont want to return dowry. Awon elebi oshi. They can watch the daughter be slapped with a hammer but she'll still be asked to "manage and pray to statute of Mary for strength". Rather a dead daughter than to be a "disgrace of the village"

Rubbish

Tribe or not, no sane father will thrust their daughters back in the hands of an abuser especially if they are aware of the abuse.  No amount of bride price ensure happy marriages.  It's sad daughters have to be sold in order to be a wife and people have issues with ashyhoes.  What's the difference?   undecided
Re: Divorce Rate Among Yoruba Couples & Igbo Couples by MrsChima1(f): 3:37pm On Oct 06, 2011
splitnaija:

That's how to be a Good Girl Woman in Africa grin cheesy grin cheesy cheesy

So sad.
Re: Divorce Rate Among Yoruba Couples & Igbo Couples by tiwasiaife(m): 3:37pm On Oct 06, 2011
Let us not over labour the obvious.In igbo land about 97%are christians that does nt support divorce,2%traditionalist,while 1%is moslem.While yoruba 38%christians dat does nt support divorce 32%moslems dat supports divorce 18%traditionalist that support divorce,4%are both christian-traditionalist,while 8%are moslem-traditionalist.dat do away with their wife/husband any time they like.
Re: Divorce Rate Among Yoruba Couples & Igbo Couples by Arkhin(m): 3:37pm On Oct 06, 2011
[i][i][b]Posted by: ThiefOfHearts
Insert Quote
The reason is because Igbo men would sooner sliit the throats of their wives than let them leave. Awon eranko which is why you have Igbo women running to marry Yoruba men.

Keep running mouth about Yoruba women instead of researching why Igbo women are marrying out of their tribe MORE than any nof the oth[i][/i]er 3 major tribes. Olodo.  Cheesy[i]
[/b][/i][/i][/i]

Tell the mofo what time it is girl!
grin grin grin
Re: Divorce Rate Among Yoruba Couples & Igbo Couples by ThiefOfHearts(f): 3:40pm On Oct 06, 2011
Not exactly sure why you're getting in the middle of this when you're not even Nigerian, Miss Chima

Yea no SANE father would but that's how THEY operate. Many people look down on Yoruba parents for not sending a child back to a tragic marriage. They've even mentioned it on this very thread so excuse me, my comments arent coming from the sky. I know what Im talking about and Ive seen it
Re: Divorce Rate Among Yoruba Couples & Igbo Couples by Nobody: 3:43pm On Oct 06, 2011
Ok! Tribal sentiments aside, the polls up there says it's true! Yoruba's are leading!

I just hope this poll wasn't rigged! undecided
Re: Divorce Rate Among Yoruba Couples & Igbo Couples by Nobody: 3:49pm On Oct 06, 2011
Maybe it's just that igbo men are generally better than yoruba idiots? (not yoruba men, just the idiot ones ) like the OP,
Fucking joblesss no good never do well useless, will never succeed OP,
can you tell i'm a Yoruba woman? I'm abusive like that.
Re: Divorce Rate Among Yoruba Couples & Igbo Couples by Sike(m): 3:55pm On Oct 06, 2011
hbrednic:

Abiola was married to over 1000 yoruba women,none of them divorced him.
Yeah, bcuz Abiola has more than wot they all need.
Re: Divorce Rate Among Yoruba Couples & Igbo Couples by Blazing88(f): 3:57pm On Oct 06, 2011
IGBO WOMEN VE BEEN BOUGHT INTO D MARRIAGE! SO NO GOING BACK, DATS Y EVEN IF DR HUSBAND IS KILLING THEM DEY MUST STAY THERE.
YORUBA WOMEN AINT BOUGHT, BRIDE PRICE ISNT AN ISSUE. SO IF THE HUSBAND IS MISBEHAVING,THE PARENTS OF D LADY WLD WELCOME HER HOME INSTEAD OF LEAVING HER IN D MARRIAGE TO SUFFER.SO DAT EXPLAINS THE DIVORCE RATE. N YORUBA WOMEN R INDEPENDENT, STRONG N HARDWORKING.THEY WORK N BRING MONEY HOME TO SUPPORT D HUSBAND N HER KIDS. UNLIKE D IGBO WOMEN DAT STAY @ HOME PLAYING THE HOUSEWIFE WAITING FOR HUSBAND TO GIVE HER MONEY TO COOK SOUP N MAKE HAIR!
Re: Divorce Rate Among Yoruba Couples & Igbo Couples by dayokanu(m): 3:58pm On Oct 06, 2011
The reason is that Igbo families see their daughters as an investment and demand an arm and a leg as dowries. Which man after paying over $100,000 in dowry and brideprice would send the wife out or divorce her?

On the flip side Yorubas give their daughters for free based on the notion that No amount is enough to buy their daughter and can easily recall her back from a dysfunctional marriage.

They would rather have a living divorced daughter than a dead married one.

Also you might want to consider that Wife killing is very reduced among the Yorubas because they divorce easily.

You know the Igbos take the word TILL DEATH DO US PART literarily
Re: Divorce Rate Among Yoruba Couples & Igbo Couples by MrsChima1(f): 4:05pm On Oct 06, 2011
ThiefOfHearts:

Not exactly sure why you're getting in the middle of this when you're not even Nigerian, Miss Chima

Yea no SANE father would but that's how THEY operate. Many people look down on Yoruba parents for not sending a child back to a tragic marriage. They've even mentioned it on this very thread so excuse me, my comments arent coming from the sky. I know what Im talking about and Ive seen it

Getting in the middle of what?

I have to be Nigerian to speak about sane fathers? WTF.
Re: Divorce Rate Among Yoruba Couples & Igbo Couples by ijawgirl: 4:07pm On Oct 06, 2011
thats bcus It's a shame in Igboland to be divorced,sometimes the women stay even in terrible abuse
an Igbo woman will never
leave her marital home

I rather be single than being in a abusive relationship
Emotionally/physical abusive relationships can destroy your self-worth, lead to anxiety and depression

I dont know how igbo women cope in those kind of marriages
if yoruba women are running away from an abusive marriage-I support them
marriage no be by force oo
Re: Divorce Rate Among Yoruba Couples & Igbo Couples by Nobody: 4:08pm On Oct 06, 2011
dayokanu:

The reason is that Igbo families see their daughters as an investment and demand an arm and a leg as dowries. Which man after paying over $100,000 in dowry and brideprice would send the wife out or divorce her?

On the flip side Yorubas give their daughters for free based on the notion that No amount is enough to buy their daughter and can easily recall her back from a dysfunctional marriage.

Also you might want to consider that Wife killing is very reduced among the Yorubas because they divorce easily.

Good. So you know that there's a huge possibility that I might divorce you sha? tongue Better start buckling your shoes  tongue tongue
Re: Divorce Rate Among Yoruba Couples & Igbo Couples by MrsChima1(f): 4:09pm On Oct 06, 2011
Blazing88:

IGBO WOMEN VE BEEN BOUGHT INTO D MARRIAGE! SO NO GOING BACK, DATS Y EVEN IF DR HUSBAND IS KILLING THEM DEY MUST STAY THERE.
YORUBA WOMEN AINT BOUGHT, BRIDE PRICE ISNT AN ISSUE. SO IF THE HUSBAND IS MISBEHAVING,THE PARENTS OF D LADY WLD WELCOME HER HOME INSTEAD OF LEAVING HER IN D MARRIAGE TO SUFFER.SO DAT EXPLAINS THE DIVORCE RATE. N YORUBA WOMEN R INDEPENDENT, STRONG N HARDWORKING.THEY WORK N BRING MONEY HOME TO SUPPORT D HUSBAND N HER KIDS. UNLIKE D IGBO WOMEN DAT STAY @ HOME PLAYING THE HOUSEWIFE WAITING FOR HUSBAND TO GIVE HER MONEY TO COOK SOUP N MAKE HAIR!

You can make hair?   tongue
Re: Divorce Rate Among Yoruba Couples & Igbo Couples by showstopa: 4:10pm On Oct 06, 2011
Why can't you lot just be reasonable. What is with the name calling? All he did was give a view , a generalisation. It doesn't mean every single  igbo marriage is perfect or every single yoruba marriage is messed up.
Its just a generalizationssssss na w ao
@dayokanu, very funny
As for dead married women, at last count I know more yorubas o
Re: Divorce Rate Among Yoruba Couples & Igbo Couples by Esinwaju: 4:16pm On Oct 06, 2011
ATLgal:

Maybe it's just that igbo men are generally better than yoruba idiots? (not yoruba men, just the  ones ) like the OP,  
bleeping joblesss no good never do well useless, will never succeed OP,  
can you tell i'm a Yoruba woman? I'm abusive like that.
This is so funny,
Re: Divorce Rate Among Yoruba Couples & Igbo Couples by ThiefOfHearts(f): 4:17pm On Oct 06, 2011
Mrs, Chima:

Getting in the middle of what?  

I have to be Nigerian to speak about sane fathers?  WTF.    

You are of neither tribe, so why get in the middle of a tribal argument?

dayokanu:

abi o. with machete. Plenty dead Igbo wives in ATL and Texas. ask and Ill provide proof. shio.
Re: Divorce Rate Among Yoruba Couples & Igbo Couples by Nobody: 4:20pm On Oct 06, 2011
dayokanu:

What are you talking about?
Re: Divorce Rate Among Yoruba Couples & Igbo Couples by omar22(m): 4:20pm On Oct 06, 2011
@kimberluge

A sharp tongue is no indication of a keen mind.  People say that you are the perfect . I say that you are not perfect but you are doing all right.

32%moslems dat supports divorce

Now your talking KAKA!!! Get your facts right and stop blowing hot air on NL
Re: Divorce Rate Among Yoruba Couples & Igbo Couples by dayokanu(m): 4:25pm On Oct 06, 2011
davidylan:

What are you talking about?

Which part do you have a problem with?

Can you compare a Typical Ibo brideprice to the Yoruba

1. One She Goat
2. One bottle of St. Remy
3. Two Carton of Star Beer
4. Two crates of soft drinks
5. One bottle of native gin
6. Two Bottles of wine
7. N10,000.00

Consultation marriage list for the father (MBUP)
1. 2 bottles of three in one whisky
2. 1 carton of Explendido Brandy
3. 10 litres of native gin
4. 10 cartons of star beer
5. 6 bottles of Gordon Gin
6. 3 cartons of small stout
7. 1 carton of wine
8. 10 Jars of palm wine
9. 3 Heads of Tobacco
10. 3 line stones
11. 3 bunches of cola nuts
12. 1 bottle of grinding sniff
13. 1 roll of Benson and hedges cigarettes
14. 1 packet of matches
15. cash of N5,000.00 for breaking of cola

Full Proper Marriage List for the father
1. 2 pieces of hollandis Wax
2. 1 Chieftaincy shirt
3. 1 hat
4. 1 big towel
5. 1 pair of shoes and socks
6. 1 walking stick
7. 1 wrist watch
8. 1 dozen underwear
9. 1 she goat with N10,000 for cutting goats head
10. Matchet with cover and beet
11. 15 cartons of star beer
12. 5 cartons of champion beer
13. 2 cartons of brandy
14. 3 bottles of 3 in one whisky
15. 1 caron of wine (Don Morris)
16. 5 crates of minerals (Soft drinks)
17. 4 crates of Guinness malt
18. 4 heads of Tobacco
19. 1 bottle of grinding snuff
20. 4 line stones
21. 4 bunches of cola nuts
22. 1 smal basin and knife for the cola nuts
23. 15 Jars of palm win
24. 20 liters of native gin
25. 1 modern brief case with N150,000

For the mother – consultation (MBUP)
1. 6 bottles of campari
2. 4 crates of minerals (soft drinks)
3. 2 crates of Guinness Malts
4. I piece of English wax
5. 1 blouse
6. 1 basin with cover full of crayfish
7. 1 Head tie
8. 2 bags of salt
9. basin with pepper

For the Mother – Full marriage (proper marriage)
1. 2 pieces of Dutch Wax and one lase
2. 3 assorted blouses
3. head tie (canopy)
4. 2 Paris of shoes
5. one wrist watch + 1 dozen of brassiers
6. 1 hand bag and 6 underwear
7. 1 big basin full of crayfish with cover
8. 1 big basin full of pepper with cover
9. 3 bags of salt
10. 1 umbrella
11. 1 suit –case with N50,000
12. 1 caton of Eva wine
13. 1 big bottle of Yago wine
14. 4 crates of Guinness malt
15. 4 crates of minerals (soft ddrinks)
16. 1 bag of rice
17. 5 tubers of yams

Nto Ete (family members)
1. 3 cartons of star beer
2. 1 bottles of St. Remy
3. 3 Jars of palm wine
4. 1 roll of besson and hedges cigarette
5. 1 packets of matches
6. Nka Ekong of N10,000

Youth
1. Football
2. 1 bottle of gin
3. 1 roll of St. Morris cigarette
4. 1 packet of matches
5. N2,000

Iban Nda Usung (Women Vanguard)
1. 1 bottle of wine
2. 1 crates of minerals (soft drink)
3. N1,500 in cash

Grand Father (Uncle)
1. piece of wax loin cloth
2. 1 long sleaves shirt
3. 1 bottle of brandy
4. 1 wrist watch.

EDem Eka
1. 1 carton of beer
2. 1 bottle of brandy
3. 1 Jar of palm wine
4. 1 piece of English wax
5. 1 long sleaves shirt
6. 1 bag of salt

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-592711.0.html

Thats in the village, Nowadays they are including Blackberry, ipad, Range Rover, Landed properties etc in the list
Re: Divorce Rate Among Yoruba Couples & Igbo Couples by MrsChima1(f): 4:27pm On Oct 06, 2011
ThiefOfHearts:

You are of neither tribe, so why get in the middle of a tribal argument?

abi o. with machete. Plenty dead Igbo wives in ATL and Texas. ask and Ill provide proof. shio.

This tribalistic bullshit is getting old.   Igbo and Yoruba aren't the only chatters on NL.   undecided
Re: Divorce Rate Among Yoruba Couples & Igbo Couples by debosky(m): 4:29pm On Oct 06, 2011
Y'all are cracking me up. . . .so people have been gathering divorce stats by tribe? cheesy cheesy

TOH & DK oye ki  emo pe awon alakori po gan nibiyi. Eyin ti e n'da won lohun lotun fun won loro so.

Mrs, Chima:

Tribe or not, no sane father will thrust their daughters back in the hands of an abuser especially if they are aware of the abuse.  No amount of bride price ensure happy marriages.  It's sad daughters have to be sold in order to be a wife and people have issues with ashyhoes.  What's the difference?   undecided

There's a big difference - the payments are a measure of the man's ability to take care of the daughter and not a case of selling the daughter.

As for 'sanity' don't bet on it - if the man himself was abusing the girl's mother and deems that as normal, why would he remove his daughter? He will simply regard it as a normal part of marriage. Abusers aren't necessarily insane, they just hold a different worldview.
Re: Divorce Rate Among Yoruba Couples & Igbo Couples by Nobody: 4:32pm On Oct 06, 2011
Are there little minds out there still on this tribal nonesense?
Re: Divorce Rate Among Yoruba Couples & Igbo Couples by Nobody: 4:32pm On Oct 06, 2011
dayokanu:

Which part do you have a problem with?

Can you compare a Typical Ibo brideprice to the Yoruba

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-592711.0.html

Thats in the village, Nowadays they are including Blackberry, ipad, Range Rover, Landed properties etc in the list

Actually i can. Most of the igbos in my family cost less than N20, my yoruba aunt cost over N500,000.
You cant take isolated cases to make a point.
Re: Divorce Rate Among Yoruba Couples & Igbo Couples by dayokanu(m): 4:33pm On Oct 06, 2011
debosky:

Y'all are cracking me up. . . .so people have been gathering divorce stats by tribe? cheesy cheesy

TOH & DK oye ki  emo pe awon alakori po gan nibiyi. Eyin ti e n'da won lohun lotun fun won loro so.

There's a big difference - the payments are a measure of the man's ability to take care of the daughter and not a case of selling the daughter.

As for 'sanity' don't bet on it - if the man himself was abusing the girl's mother and deems that as normal, why would he remove his daughter? He will simply regard it as a normal part of marriage. Abusers aren't necessarily insane, they just hold a different worldview.
^^ When there are no Arsenal fan to cuss out again, All of them have gone under. I need new foes.

Off to sexuality section
Re: Divorce Rate Among Yoruba Couples & Igbo Couples by Nobody: 4:33pm On Oct 06, 2011
divine2043:

Are there little minds out there still on this tribal nonesense?

i wonder.
Re: Divorce Rate Among Yoruba Couples & Igbo Couples by dayokanu(m): 4:35pm On Oct 06, 2011
davidylan:

Actually i can. Most of the igbos in my family cost less than N20, my yoruba aunt cost over N500,000.

Isolated cases is actually what you have done.

Its the general norm, Ask among Igbo ppl.

Actually some even pride themselves in it.

They claim Mbaise women are even much more expensive than others.

That marrying Igbo women cost a arm and a leg  shouldnt even be a topic.
Re: Divorce Rate Among Yoruba Couples & Igbo Couples by Mkpotu(m): 4:35pm On Oct 06, 2011
I think the posters observations are completely right. You remember, he is not saying there are no divorce cases in Igbo land. In terms of beauty too, I believe the observation of the poster.

The reasons why divorce is not rampant in Igboland are:

(1) Somebody made mention of Roman Catholic which has solid root in the east, it is one of the major factors. Catholic church abhors divorce just the same way RCCG has adopted too.

(2) Igbos value marriage thus, that is why it is usually believed that a man should be ripe for marriage before venturing into it. Marriage they believe comes with certain maturity which include; being protective and in control of the marriage, handling womens' exuberance, being able to face the challenges of ups and downs of marriage etc

(3) Igbos believe mainly in one man one wife ideology even in those days, that is why you see a man having 7 or 8 children from his wife. Also in Igboland, a married man who flirts with other women or girls are even usually chastised called to order or even advised by his brothers and sometimes, the wife can take such issues to his friends or kinsmen, who usually call the man to order.

(4) It is also an abomination in Igboland for a married woman to have an affair with another man, thus in some areas it could lead to death or something disastrous, thus in Igboland marriage is seen as a sacred institution.

(5) Igbos also value the root of a child that is why no woman or man will want to have children that doesnt have father or root where they are traceable to and that is why today even in America, you see Igbos from a particular community in the East having town's meeting, thus identifying with one another.

(6) As per beauty too, i think it is not disputable as far as Nigeria is concerned, but note that Fulani women are beautiful (facially though). You may not see other places but mind you beauty is not all about face.
Re: Divorce Rate Among Yoruba Couples & Igbo Couples by Nobody: 4:36pm On Oct 06, 2011
Dayokanu !!!! LWKMD o
Re: Divorce Rate Among Yoruba Couples & Igbo Couples by Nobody: 4:37pm On Oct 06, 2011
davidylan:

Wouldnt your case (your aunt and your Igbo families) be an isolated case, then?
We're talking about "on avg", based on difference in culture. On average, Igbo bridal price and marital requirements are way more expensive.
Re: Divorce Rate Among Yoruba Couples & Igbo Couples by MrsChima1(f): 4:40pm On Oct 06, 2011
debosky:

I guess only Igbo and Yoruba have access to the divorce records.   lipsrsealed

debosky:

Sane as in not delusional and psychotic fathers would not subject their daughters in an abusive relationship and if the fathers are abusers themselves then they wouldn't be classified as "sane" because what is the point of abusing someone that you supposedly love?

Sane fathers are protective by nature and if they have to die to protect their wives and daughters regardless if bride price were paid or not they will not let another man harm their family.  

Abusers are usually powerless and use physical tactic to "control" their weaker vessels and that is INSANITY.  Abuse of any kind is wrong and you do not need a bride price to determine if a man can take care of a woman or not.  Even if the man can take care of a woman doesn't mean she (wife) has to be a liability.  

As I stated bride price of any amount doesn't determine whether the wife would be a good compatibility to the husband as someone on this thread stated divorce has nothing to do with tribe but with incompatibility of two people.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Ooni Of Ife And 3rd Wife, Olori Tobi Welcome Twins / Onyeka Nwelue: Anyone Who Eats Or Drinks At A Funeral Lacks Conscience / Quran, Ifa And The Bible By Abdulrazaq O Hamzat

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.