Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,179 members, 7,821,989 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 11:55 PM

South East Govs Demand For 2 Additional States - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / South East Govs Demand For 2 Additional States (7129 Views)

BIAFRA: Igbo’s Decisive Day As S.east Govs,leaders,others Meet / S-east Govs Divided Over Pro-biafra Struggle - Vanguard / Fashola Rejects Creation Of Additional States (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

South East Govs Demand For 2 Additional States by Chyz2: 12:52am On Oct 10, 2011
[size=13pt]S’East govs demand for 2 additional states
[/size]
From PETRUS OBI, Enugu

Monday, October 10, 2011

South East Governors Forum rose from its meeting in Enugu yesterday demanding for the creation of two new states in the zone.
Anambra State Governor and Chairman of the forum, Mr. Peter Obi who fielded questions from newsmen after the meeting said the issue of additional state was the only issue discussed by the governors.

Said he: “Basically today, we discussed only one item, the issue of constitutional amendment, especially as it concerns creation of additional state for the South-east, to have same number of states with other zones. That is basically what we discussed.”

Obi, who was answering questions from reporters shortly after the meeting at Government House, Enugu, stated that the meeting was a single item meeting. He explained that what the forum was demanding for was the equalisation of the number of states in the country.  He continued that the purpose of the meeting was to discuss a constitutional issue that had to do with creation of new states so that the South-east zone could have equal states with other zones in the country.

[b]Obi, who refused to answer further questions, stated that the zone did not care where the states would be created from [/b]but all that the people needed was equality in the number of states. He noted that the issue would be canvassed during next week’s governors’ meeting. The meeting was attended by Governors Martin Elechi of Ebonyi; Rochas Okorocha, Imo and Sullivan Chime of Enugu while Theodore Orji of Abia was absent. The meeting, which started at about some minutes to 3pm ended about 3.45pm.

http://www.sunnewsonline.com/webpages/news/national/2011/oct/10/national-10-10-2011-002.html
Re: South East Govs Demand For 2 Additional States by ak47mann(m): 1:40am On Oct 10, 2011
And new state will be called?
Re: South East Govs Demand For 2 Additional States by Chyz2: 2:07am On Oct 10, 2011
The bolded is an indication of Anioma, at least thats how I see it, an invitation or a hush hush thing, but Anioma has to be why he said such words. Just sayin. cool
Re: South East Govs Demand For 2 Additional States by ak47mann(m): 2:22am On Oct 10, 2011
okay cool
Re: South East Govs Demand For 2 Additional States by Chyz2: 2:51am On Oct 10, 2011
Southeast governors insist on new state

By Chris Oji

Southeast governors yesterday gave a condition for backing the planned constitution amendment: an additional state in their region.

They threatened to withdraw support for the exercise, if they are not given another state.

The Southeast has the least number of states – five – among the six geo-political zones.

To perfect their plan, the governors met in Enugu yesterday.

They resolved to present their report for discussion at the Nigerian Governors Forum (NGF) meeting in Abuja tomorrow.

The governors said it was high time all geo-political zones in the country had equal number of states in the interest of equity, fairness and justice.

Chairman of the Southeast Governors Forum Peter Obi of Anambra State told reporters that they met to articulate a common position and present their demands at the NGF meeting. Constitution amendment was the main agenda at the Enugu meeting.

Obi said if the Southeast’s request for additional state fails to receive priority attention, its five governors would back out of discussions on constitution amendment.

He said: “Basically today (yesterday), we discussed one issue, the issue of constitution amendment, especially as it concerns the creation of an additional state for the zone, to have the same number of states in all the zones of the country.

We are not asking for a particular number of states. We are only calling for equality of states for all the zones and that is what we want.

Imo State Governor Rochas Okorocha said: “If the Northwest zone could have seven states, the Southeast zone could as well have seven. In essence, the Southeast governors are calling for additional states.

The Seventh National Assembly has kick started the process for constitution amendment.

The Senate and the House of Representatives has each constituted Constitution Review Committees.

The committees will collate the position of Nigerians on the amendments in addition to leading the process of amendment.

While Deputy Senate President Ekweremadu chairs the Senate Committee on constitution review, Deputy Speaker of the House of Representatives Emeka Ihedioha chairs the Reps’ committee.

Both of them are incidentally from the Southeast.

http://www.thenationonlineng.net/2011/index.php/news/22360-southeast-governors-insist-on-new-state.html
Re: South East Govs Demand For 2 Additional States by ak47mann(m): 2:53am On Oct 10, 2011
i can understand delta igbos joining SE but at the same time we igbos from the east are not forcing any one to join us,as you can see we have no problem with our igbo brothers both in delta state and rivers state cus what we need is unity and progress am not saying that igbos in SE don't have their own problems cus we are humans,but feeling inferior complex is a part of weak mind,i have friends and families from asaba and i never encounter any such thing that am not igbo mr family business the manager mike obiosah was with us for more than 18yrs and his son anaene was doing business with us very nice people i never knew they were different from core igbos in the East till  i was old enough to notice the different,and some of them that disown their culture and identity can not join SE states it doesn't add up,
That means b/w anioma people they have to settle for referendum and i don't no how many percentage will vote yes or no, is for people to decide, in onitsha we have anioma from asaba my mum best friend she from asaba in onitsha we see each other as the same.
Reading from what some of anioma or should i call them ika people say about igbos in the SE baffles me am like what happen,example is this from a post from a delta igbo.

EXAMPLE

winpecheux

Re: Anioma Group Congratulates Delta Acting Governor Of Igbo Extraction
« #42 on: Today at 12:50:15 AM »
You people are busy saying something that is not true,  You are making a big mistake by thinking anioma state is an igbo state,  Never.
Ask anioma people around you,  Look let me let one fact clear to you,  It'll be better for us to join hausa than to join igbo,  We can never be igbo,  River niger is the boundary,  
You people should wake up from your slumber and face reality,  Have you ever  seen any ika or ukwani man claiming to be igbo?
We need urhobo people more than the igbos,  Igbos should find their square-root,  They should not look up to having our area at all.

Re: South East Govs Demand For 2 Additional States by Oba234: 3:12am On Oct 10, 2011
lol, Nigeria already have too many states. There should be no more than 20 states in Nigeria. Come on now! Nigeria is a country twice the size of California and has 36 states. Na wa o. By this rate we will end with 50 very soon. *hiss* The only outcome of this is more money been hoarded by greedy politicians, some people are looking for a way to cash in the politics game.

That being said, Nigeria can have all the states it wants. They can even create hundred self, wetting concern me? It ain't logical and I doubt it will aid the economy, but since Nigeria seems to be a sinking ship let them do whatever they want.
Re: South East Govs Demand For 2 Additional States by hugooh42(m): 3:17am On Oct 10, 2011
That quote sounds rather disturbing."Better to join the Hausa than to be called Igbos".mmmmm!!Well i reserve my comments for now.
Re: South East Govs Demand For 2 Additional States by ChinenyeN(m): 5:56am On Oct 10, 2011
They don't care where the states will be created from abi? They simply just want two additional states ehnkwa? Okay.
Re: South East Govs Demand For 2 Additional States by T8ksy(m): 12:00pm On Oct 10, 2011
They can "demand" till they are blue in the face, the fact though is, they ain't getting nada!
Re: South East Govs Demand For 2 Additional States by monkeyleg: 12:10pm On Oct 10, 2011
@ak47mann,

Dont mind those quotes. I am from Delta Igbo, and I consider myself to be a full Igbo man, and most sensible ones would. Those who understand the Asaba / Onitsha boundary, recognise that we are one
Re: South East Govs Demand For 2 Additional States by Paveejay(m): 12:31pm On Oct 10, 2011
Good luck!
Re: South East Govs Demand For 2 Additional States by Nobody: 12:40pm On Oct 10, 2011
they better split revenue allocations to the proposed state among themselves

eediots
Re: South East Govs Demand For 2 Additional States by EPOMA(m): 12:43pm On Oct 10, 2011
Chyz*:

By Chris Oji

Southeast governors yesterday gave a condition for backing the planned constitution amendment: an additional state in their region.

They threatened to withdraw support for the exercise, if they are not given another state.

The Southeast has the least number of states – five – among the six geo-political zones.

They resolved to present their report for discussion at the Nigerian Governors Forum (NGF) meeting in Abuja tomorrow.

The governors said it was high time all geo-political zones in the country had equal number of states in the interest of equity, fairness and justice.

Chairman of the Southeast Governors Forum Peter Obi of Anambra State told reporters that they met to articulate a common position and present their demands at the NGF meeting. Constitution amendment was the main agenda at the Enugu meeting.

Obi said if the Southeast’s request for additional state fails to receive priority attention, its five governors would back out of discussions on constitution amendment.

He said: “Basically today (yesterday), we discussed one issue, the issue of constitution amendment, especially as it concerns the creation of an additional state for the zone, to have the same number of states in all the zones of the country.

We are not asking for a particular number of states. We are only calling for equality of states for all the zones and that is what we want.

Imo State Governor Rochas Okorocha said: “If the Northwest zone could have seven states, the Southeast zone could as well have seven. In essence, the Southeast governors are calling for additional states.

The Seventh National Assembly has kick started the process for constitution amendment.

The Senate and the House of Representatives has each constituted Constitution Review Committees.

The committees will collate the position of Nigerians on the amendments in addition to leading the process of amendment.

While Deputy Senate President Ekweremadu chairs the Senate Committee on constitution review, Deputy Speaker of the House of Representatives Emeka Ihedioha chairs the Reps’ committee.

http://www.thenationonlineng.net/2011/index.php/news/22360-southeast-governors-insist-on-new-state.html
The fact still remains that most Nigerian do not have visions or know how a country can move forward. They keep on looking for things that are not important and would still bring the country down. Instead of them to discuss how to managed properly the states already in place, discuss how the constitution can be changed, creating a more secured and developed environment.
  Creating more states in the present Nigeria is just madness, I always say this that we should go back to basics and get things to work and stop chasing shadow, shame on Peter Obi
Re: South East Govs Demand For 2 Additional States by cantell(m): 12:48pm On Oct 10, 2011
EPOMA:

The fact still remains that most Nigerian do not have visions or know how a country can move forward. They keep on looking for things that are not important and would still bring the country down. Instead of them to discuss how to managed properly the states already in place, discuss how the constitution can be changed, creating a more secured and developed environment.
  Creating more states in the present Nigeria is just madness, I always say this that we should go back to basics and get things to work and stop chasing shadow, shame on Peter Obi

Thats exactly what you get when you have a mumu like peter obi as head of S.E governor's forum.
Re: South East Govs Demand For 2 Additional States by PointB: 12:52pm On Oct 10, 2011
^^^
There is nothing wrong in advocating for fairness. Nigeria should either ensure balance in the number of states per zone, or abolish all the state, and use zones instead. The loop-sided number of states in each zone has been used as leverage in political power that is still keeping the country down.

Fair is fair!
Re: South East Govs Demand For 2 Additional States by aribisala0(m): 12:59pm On Oct 10, 2011
if the issue is competition with other areas the north will always win because of size. based on population lagos/kano is  equal to abuja rivers and bayelsa at least but kano can easily be divided into 4 states the size of lagos

i believe we need to look more at
the power to amend the constitution and how this is distibuted
the power to influence the centre and how this is distributed.
resource control
so rather than state creation we should look at representation in the National Assembly there is no justification for ALL states having an equal number of senators certainly Lagos and Kano are not equal to others in terms of population.

so it is possible that one zone may decide that they want to operate as ONE state only while another may want 20 states that should not affect central representation or revenues from the centre or other so called federal character issues
. in short the power to decide how many states should reside in the zone and the number of states should NOT result in any benefit from the centre. this can only happen when we have true federalism and resource control.

IT IS NOT NECESSARILY TRUE THAT STATES ARE GOOD FOR ALL PARTS OF NIGERIA

for example in the southwest i think we can do well as one state with several local government areas.

others may wish to have 15 states which is fine. we can negotiate central representation separately
Re: South East Govs Demand For 2 Additional States by aribisala0(m): 1:04pm On Oct 10, 2011
my argument is to decouple the link between political power and the number of states and give the zones the power to create as many states as they like. this should not result in any benefits whatsover of power/revenue.
Re: South East Govs Demand For 2 Additional States by lagcity(m): 1:08pm On Oct 10, 2011
These governors just like talking too much. The people who should be getting busy are the SE legislators. The Igbo Reps and Senators should convince their colleagues in the N. Assembly instead of growing fat on their salaries and allowances.
Re: South East Govs Demand For 2 Additional States by PointB: 1:13pm On Oct 10, 2011
aribisala0:

my argument is to decouple the link between political power and the number of states and give the zones the power to create as many states as they like. this should not result in any benefits whatsover of power/revenue.

Unfortunately I doubt if that is what is being considered or will ever be considered. So as long as states remains the on channel to attract development from the center, these agitations for state will remain.
Re: South East Govs Demand For 2 Additional States by cantell(m): 1:14pm On Oct 10, 2011
PointB:

^^^
There is nothing wrong in advocating for fairness. Nigeria should either ensure balance in the number of states per zone, or abolish all the state, and use zones instead. The loop-sided number of states in each zone has been used as leverage in political power that is still keeping the country down.

Fair is fair!
Thats a bunch of crap! There are better things to do than this.
Most of them haven't fulfilled their various obligations to their people yet they have time to pursue meaningless stuff.
For example, school teachers are still at home for close to a month now and the i*diot we call our governor(Peter Obi) has done nothing.
Re: South East Govs Demand For 2 Additional States by otokx(m): 1:14pm On Oct 10, 2011
What is the need in creating states that do not have the financial ability. The other time all the universities in the east where in some sort of a strike to the extent other universities in other zones had to embark on sympathy strike to bring to light the evil going on in the south east. As we speak now, majority of them if not all are shut down due to non payment of minimum wage so what is the point?
Re: South East Govs Demand For 2 Additional States by PointB: 1:19pm On Oct 10, 2011
^^^
Below is the essence. maybe you shld read again!

Chyz*:

By Chris Oji

Re: South East Govs Demand For 2 Additional States by Ournaija: 1:28pm On Oct 10, 2011
Chyz*:

[size=13pt]S’East govs demand for 2 additional states
[/size]
From PETRUS OBI, Enugu

Monday, October 10, 2011

South East Governors Forum rose from its meeting in Enugu yesterday demanding for the creation of two new states in the zone.
Anambra State Governor and Chairman of the forum, Mr. Peter Obi who fielded questions from newsmen after the meeting said the issue of additional state was the only issue discussed by the governors.

Said he: “Basically today, we discussed only one item, the issue of constitutional amendment, especially as it concerns creation of additional state for the South-east, to have same number of states with other zones. That is basically what we discussed.”

Obi, who was answering questions from reporters shortly after the meeting at Government House, Enugu, stated that the meeting was a single item meeting. He explained that what the forum was demanding for was the equalisation of the number of states in the country.  He continued that the purpose of the meeting was to discuss a constitutional issue that had to do with creation of new states so that the South-east zone could have equal states with other zones in the country.

Obi, who refused to answer further questions, stated that the zone did not care where the states would be created from but all that the people needed was equality in the number of states. He noted that the issue would be canvassed during next week’s governors’ meeting. The meeting was attended by Governors Martin Elechi of Ebonyi; Rochas Okorocha, Imo and Sullivan Chime of Enugu while Theodore Orji of Abia was absent. The meeting, which started at about some minutes to 3pm ended about 3.45pm.

http://www.sunnewsonline.com/webpages/news/national/2011/oct/10/national-10-10-2011-002.html

I know that Orji of a man will not be there with his kins to discuss issues that will benefit the SE. Yeye man grin

I dont think it`s a bad idea for the SE governors to demand for additional state to equal that of other regions. As we know, whatever goodies that is been shared in Abuja is done on quota system, Federal character and so on.

I think the SE still need to do more home work with their brothers that spill over to the SS.
Re: South East Govs Demand For 2 Additional States by joeyfire(m): 1:32pm On Oct 10, 2011
For goodness sake why can't these governors face developing their states instead of looking for more states to "balance the equation". Always putting the cart before the horse. peter obi of course has not achieved jack except apeing everything fashola does in lagos with comedic results
Re: South East Govs Demand For 2 Additional States by aribisala0(m): 1:37pm On Oct 10, 2011
PointB:

Unfortunately I doubt if that is what is being considered or will ever be considered. So as long as states remains the on channel to attract development from the center, these agitations for state will remain.
it is not what is being considered. i am saying it SHOULD be considered by any forward looking region.
there is NO development accruing from the centre to any state. what development has accrued to all the BOKO HARAM states??
riches may accrue to individuals but NOT development. regions can only develop from within and my argument is different regions should be able to choose how many states they want FOR PURELY ADMINISTRATIVE purposes. if there are any genuine benefits from the centre due to state creation my point is those that have early mover advantage will never give it up; if you create 2 states in the south east they will create 4 in the north ultimately the southeast will run out of land. there is NO WAY they will create states EXCLUSIVELY in the south east so really we should be looking for other ways to redress these imbalances.
when states were first created there wer six in the north six in the south now it is 19 17 if we continue we will end up with 100 70; they have more land grin grin
Re: South East Govs Demand For 2 Additional States by jason123: 1:40pm On Oct 10, 2011
For the sake of political equality, the SE should have 2 additional states.
Nigeria cannot justify why the North West has 7 states, the rest 6 and the SE 5 states. It is simply not right. Its either we all have 7 states or 6 major states. One must give, for the sake of political and economical justice.

To those talking about viability, how many states in Nigeria are indeed viable? Is Jigawa and Zamfara viable? Is Ekiti viable? Is Ebonyi viable? is Gombe and Yobe viable? Taraba and Enugu nko? The so-called oil rich Bayelsa is solely dependent on oil, no other source of income.

The above represents a rough estimate of our state's wealth.
Re: South East Govs Demand For 2 Additional States by DonChimax(m): 1:43pm On Oct 10, 2011
if u don't want to associate with the igbos that means you are not a human. Americans do, British do, canadians,indians,chiness,south/east/north Americans do, Russians,France,Japan,israe all the world round like Igbos b/cos they're (Bussines Wise,hard working,creative,Accommodating,easy going,Respectful,Advanced and have d best brains all over d world.) so why you?
Re: South East Govs Demand For 2 Additional States by GAR3TH(m): 1:45pm On Oct 10, 2011
Instead of creating pointless states why not just move the boundaries of the Geo-political zones. we have 36 states and 6 Geo-political zone so 6 states should be in each zone.

But instead we have these ediots calming they want another state in the already small & cramped south east. Obviously they are just in it for themselves so they can create pointless government positions for their brothers in the new state.

Why arent they proposing to rearrange the already existing boundaries? Why not move cross rivers state to the south-east then move ondo state to the south-south then move kwara state to the south-west and then move kaduna to the north-central.

Its simply and not hard but instead they are choosing and advocating for something as ridiculous as an extra state when we already have 36 states and 6 geopolitical zones.

Or do these ediots believe that the south-east geopolitical zone equals igbos? Because it doesn't. Is that why they want to create an extra state instead of just moving the boundaries.

I seriously hope not because if thats the case then they will go down in history as the dumbest most ethnocentric move in Nigeria's history.

Problem solved

Re: South East Govs Demand For 2 Additional States by grafikii: 2:13pm On Oct 10, 2011
dis south east people abi na east east, they are not even as big as taraba yet them no go let person hear word.
Re: South East Govs Demand For 2 Additional States by kholis(m): 2:22pm On Oct 10, 2011
Those against the call for equalization of states in the country via additional state for the SE should please be considerate. This is only a demand for fairness. Honestly speaking, no other zone in Nigeria can accept this marginalization. Why the SE? Is it part of the punishment for loosing the war?
Re: South East Govs Demand For 2 Additional States by Nobody: 2:24pm On Oct 10, 2011
otokx:

What is the need in creating states that do not have the financial ability. The other time all the universities in the east where in some sort of a strike to the extent other universities in other zones had to embark on sympathy strike to bring to light the evil going on in the south east. As we speak now, majority of them if not all are shut down due to non payment of minimum wage so what is the point?
States that will have to wait for Abuja peanut before they can pay their workers' salaries .mschew !

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Picture Of Military Machines Arriving Today From Port / BREAKING NEWS: This Is What Buhari Wants To Save Us From, Appreciate Him / BRICS Rejects Nigeria, Invites Saudi Arabia, Iran, Ethiopia, Egypt, Argentina

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.