Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,122 members, 7,849,498 topics. Date: Monday, 03 June 2024 at 10:46 PM

Four Nigerians, Rescued In Brazil, Survived 14 Days On A Ship's Rudder - Travel (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Four Nigerians, Rescued In Brazil, Survived 14 Days On A Ship's Rudder (34724 Views)

Liberia Deports Four Nigerians 10 Years After Bank Robbery Conviction / Stowaways Spotted Under A Ship Going To Unknown Destination (Photos) / The Moment A Ship Sank In Port Harcourt, Rivers State (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Four Nigerians, Rescued In Brazil, Survived 14 Days On A Ship's Rudder by Nobody: 3:48pm On Aug 03, 2023
I see
Re: Four Nigerians, Rescued In Brazil, Survived 14 Days On A Ship's Rudder by Zxcvbnmghtr: 3:48pm On Aug 03, 2023
undecided Some people are just funny. It amuses me how people are so narrow minded to see the abundant opportunities in Nigeria and utilize them efficiently. grin

It always amuses me really. Hope they are deported back to Nigeria at once. cheesy

4 Likes

Re: Four Nigerians, Rescued In Brazil, Survived 14 Days On A Ship's Rudder by Triangles1(m): 3:49pm On Aug 03, 2023
Any way na way, you get rich or die.
Re: Four Nigerians, Rescued In Brazil, Survived 14 Days On A Ship's Rudder by tojahh(m): 3:50pm On Aug 03, 2023
Chai

This reminds me of my trip to Palermo via Tripoli (Libya). Mehn don suffer sha.

1 Like

Re: Four Nigerians, Rescued In Brazil, Survived 14 Days On A Ship's Rudder by UnfairLife7(m): 3:50pm On Aug 03, 2023
Gerrard59:

I do agree that Brazil is unsafe due to many criminals. But Kenya is not better off and certainly not Gabon. That is like saying Bonny Island is better off than Edo state. Apples to oranges. Even at that, Gabon is notoriously poor. I am willing to bet Bonny residents have higher living standards than Gabonese. Morocco is not an "African" country. Africa here means black Africa.
Morocco is an European country abi?

8 Likes

Re: Four Nigerians, Rescued In Brazil, Survived 14 Days On A Ship's Rudder by STEWpid(f): 3:52pm On Aug 03, 2023
Chai..

Tojahh..
Re: Four Nigerians, Rescued In Brazil, Survived 14 Days On A Ship's Rudder by SayNo2SmallPrik: 3:52pm On Aug 03, 2023
Purvan:

SMH

Gabon

Kenya

Morocco

The only good thing in Brazil is booze, food and women

I've lived in Sao Paulo and escaped death twice by unknown gunmen
You Dey talk nonsense with confidence, same you wey say you go Brazil in your dream. Sule

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Four Nigerians, Rescued In Brazil, Survived 14 Days On A Ship's Rudder by UnfairLife7(m): 3:52pm On Aug 03, 2023
Zxcvbnmghtr:
Lol..some people are just funny. It amuses me people are so narrow minded to see the abundant opportunities in Nigeria. grin

It always amuses me really. Hope the are deported back to Nigeria at once.
how will they see fund to execute any opportunity please? Would you mind loan me some money to execute mine? I will drop my certificate and house as collateral.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Four Nigerians, Rescued In Brazil, Survived 14 Days On A Ship's Rudder by AderonkeOlaniyi(f): 3:53pm On Aug 03, 2023
Purvan:

SMH

Gabon

Kenya

Morocco

The only good thing in Brazil is booze, food and women

I've lived in Sao Paulo and escaped death twice by unknown gunmen

Mugu.

1 Like

Re: Four Nigerians, Rescued In Brazil, Survived 14 Days On A Ship's Rudder by SayNo2SmallPrik: 3:53pm On Aug 03, 2023
Zxcvbnmghtr:
undecided Some people are just funny. It amuses me how people are so narrow minded to see the abundant opportunities in Nigeria and utilize them efficiently. grin

Trying to sound smart 😆

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Four Nigerians, Rescued In Brazil, Survived 14 Days On A Ship's Rudder by famzynet: 3:54pm On Aug 03, 2023
Hmm!
Re: Four Nigerians, Rescued In Brazil, Survived 14 Days On A Ship's Rudder by Judolisco(m): 3:55pm On Aug 03, 2023
D two wise ones came back... No plenty difference btw Brazil and Nigeria

4 Likes

Re: Four Nigerians, Rescued In Brazil, Survived 14 Days On A Ship's Rudder by Fmghewzy(m): 3:55pm On Aug 03, 2023
tensazangetsu20:
They are lucky. Brazil is heaven on earth compared to any place in Africa

You cap too much 🧢🧢🧢

No one should take any travel advise from you, you already look down on Nigeria and Africa as a whole .

So your opinions are always biased.

It is bullshit to say that Brazil is better than all African countries, I am tempted to say "madness" 😤

11 Likes

Re: Four Nigerians, Rescued In Brazil, Survived 14 Days On A Ship's Rudder by highchief1: 3:56pm On Aug 03, 2023
Grit2943:
SAO PAULO, Aug 1 (Reuters) - On their tenth day at sea, the four Nigerian stowaways crossing the Atlantic in a tiny space above the rudder of a cargo ship ran out of food and drink.

They survived another four days, according to their account, by drinking the sea water crashing just meters below them, before being rescued by Brazilian federal police in the southeastern port of Vitoria.

Their remarkable, death-defying journey across some 5,600 kilometers (3,500 miles) of ocean underlines the risks some migrants are prepared to take for a shot at a better life.

It was a terrible experience for me," said 38-year-old Thankgod Opemipo Matthew Yeye, one of the four Nigerians, in an interview at a Sao Paulo church shelter. "On board it is not easy. I was shaking, so scared. But I'm here."

Their relief at being rescued soon gave way to surprise.

The four men said they had hoped to reach Europe and were shocked to learn they had in fact landed on the other side of the Atlantic, in Brazil. Two of the men have since been returned to Nigeria upon their request, while Yeye and Roman Ebimene Friday, a 35-year-old from Bayelsa state, have applied for asylum in Brazil.

"I pray the government of Brazil will have pity on me," said Friday, who had already attempted to flee Nigeria by ship once before but was arrested by authorities there.

Both men said economic hardship, political instability and crime had left them with little option but to abandon their native Nigeria. Africa's most populous country has longstanding issues of violence and poverty, and kidnappings are endemic.

Yeye, a pentecostal minister from Lagos state, said his peanut and palm oil farm was destroyed by floods this year, leaving him and his family homeless. He hopes they can now join him in Brazil.

Friday said his journey to Brazil began on June 27, when a fisherman friend rowed him up to the stern of the Liberian-flagged Ken Wave, docked in Lagos, and left him by the rudder. To his surprise, he found three men already there, waiting for the ship to depart. Friday said he was terrified. He had never met his new shipmates and feared they could toss him into the sea at any moment.

Once the ship was moving, Friday said the four men made every effort not to be discovered by the ship's crew, who they also worried might offer them a watery grave.

"Maybe if they catch you they will throw you in the water," he said. "So we taught ourselves never to make a noise."

Spending two weeks within spitting distance of the Atlantic Ocean was perilous.

To prevent themselves from falling into the water, Friday said the men rigged up a net around the rudder and tied themselves to it with a rope. When he looked down, he said he could see "big fish like whales and sharks." Due to the cramped conditions and the noise of the engine, sleep was rare and risky. "I was very happy when we got rescued," he said.

Father Paolo Parise, a priest at the Sao Paulo shelter, said he had come across other cases of stowaways, but never one so dangerous. Their journey paid testament to lengths people will go in search of a new start, he said. "People do unimaginable and deeply dangerous things."

https://www.reuters.com/world/americas/four-nigerians-rescued-brazil-survived-14-days-ships-rudder-2023-08-01/

mumu trip when it’s not guaranteed that u will become Dangote from such a risk.I no fit sha

2 Likes

Re: Four Nigerians, Rescued In Brazil, Survived 14 Days On A Ship's Rudder by Litmus: 3:57pm On Aug 03, 2023
Zxcvbnmghtr:

Are they Nigerians, what evidence proved them genuinely Nigerians ?
Re: Four Nigerians, Rescued In Brazil, Survived 14 Days On A Ship's Rudder by ianq: 3:58pm On Aug 03, 2023
The two who chose to return are hell bent on making it to Europe. Be on the lookout for a sequel to their daunting trip.

11 Likes

Re: Four Nigerians, Rescued In Brazil, Survived 14 Days On A Ship's Rudder by izubext007: 3:58pm On Aug 03, 2023
this life self
Re: Four Nigerians, Rescued In Brazil, Survived 14 Days On A Ship's Rudder by NAC1666: 3:59pm On Aug 03, 2023
Grit2943:
SAO PAULO, Aug 1 (Reuters) - On their tenth day at sea, the four Nigerian stowaways crossing the Atlantic in a tiny space above the rudder of a cargo ship ran out of food and drink.

They survived another four days, according to their account, by drinking the sea water crashing just meters below them, before being rescued by Brazilian federal police in the southeastern port of Vitoria.

Their remarkable, death-defying journey across some 5,600 kilometers (3,500 miles) of ocean underlines the risks some migrants are prepared to take for a shot at a better life.

It was a terrible experience for me," said 38-year-old Thankgod Opemipo Matthew Yeye, one of the four Nigerians, in an interview at a Sao Paulo church shelter. "On board it is not easy. I was shaking, so scared. But I'm here."

Their relief at being rescued soon gave way to surprise.

The four men said they had hoped to reach Europe and were shocked to learn they had in fact landed on the other side of the Atlantic, in Brazil. Two of the men have since been returned to Nigeria upon their request, while Yeye and Roman Ebimene Friday, a 35-year-old from Bayelsa state, have applied for asylum in Brazil.

"I pray the government of Brazil will have pity on me," said Friday, who had already attempted to flee Nigeria by ship once before but was arrested by authorities there.

Both men said economic hardship, political instability and crime had left them with little option but to abandon their native Nigeria. Africa's most populous country has longstanding issues of violence and poverty, and kidnappings are endemic.

Yeye, a pentecostal minister from Lagos state, said his peanut and palm oil farm was destroyed by floods this year, leaving him and his family homeless. He hopes they can now join him in Brazil.

Friday said his journey to Brazil began on June 27, when a fisherman friend rowed him up to the stern of the Liberian-flagged Ken Wave, docked in Lagos, and left him by the rudder. To his surprise, he found three men already there, waiting for the ship to depart. Friday said he was terrified. He had never met his new shipmates and feared they could toss him into the sea at any moment.

Once the ship was moving, Friday said the four men made every effort not to be discovered by the ship's crew, who they also worried might offer them a watery grave.

"Maybe if they catch you they will throw you in the water," he said. "So we taught ourselves never to make a noise."

Spending two weeks within spitting distance of the Atlantic Ocean was perilous.

To prevent themselves from falling into the water, Friday said the men rigged up a net around the rudder and tied themselves to it with a rope. When he looked down, he said he could see "big fish like whales and sharks." Due to the cramped conditions and the noise of the engine, sleep was rare and risky. "I was very happy when we got rescued," he said.

Father Paolo Parise, a priest at the Sao Paulo shelter, said he had come across other cases of stowaways, but never one so dangerous. Their journey paid testament to lengths people will go in search of a new start, he said. "People do unimaginable and deeply dangerous things."

https://www.reuters.com/world/americas/four-nigerians-rescued-brazil-survived-14-days-ships-rudder-2023-08-01/

Congrat to them. They have japa

1 Like

Re: Four Nigerians, Rescued In Brazil, Survived 14 Days On A Ship's Rudder by ojex004: 3:59pm On Aug 03, 2023
Friday, Na Dem as usual
Re: Four Nigerians, Rescued In Brazil, Survived 14 Days On A Ship's Rudder by nairalanda1(m): 3:59pm On Aug 03, 2023

Hmm, Brazil is a nice country. One of the places I would dearly love to jakpa to and work for ten years self.
Re: Four Nigerians, Rescued In Brazil, Survived 14 Days On A Ship's Rudder by Zxcvbnmghtr: 4:00pm On Aug 03, 2023
UnfairLife7:
how will they see fund to execute any opportunity please? Would you mind loan me some money to execute mine? I will drop my certificate and house as collateral.

You mean these ones will be given loans in the country they are going to? Is that why the chose such desperation? Let's be real.

The only thing that can make you suffer in Nigeria is if you don't have sense.

3 Likes

Re: Four Nigerians, Rescued In Brazil, Survived 14 Days On A Ship's Rudder by BoldBrainz(m): 4:00pm On Aug 03, 2023
See these Yoruba people o grin!

After foolishly voting for Tinubu and standing on his retarded mandate, you're stowing away in ships to escape the effects of the governance of the same thieving charlatan you stubbornly voted for cause of tribe and religion.

They should deport the bastard back to Ibadan let him join the army and eat Tinubu's maize!

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Four Nigerians, Rescued In Brazil, Survived 14 Days On A Ship's Rudder by VinnyBaba: 4:01pm On Aug 03, 2023
Yet some FOOLS are supporting APC/Tinubu/Buharia's govt. 😕😏

U couldn't see such things under Pres Goodluck Jonathan or Yaradua or Obasanjo's Govt. sad

1 Like

Re: Four Nigerians, Rescued In Brazil, Survived 14 Days On A Ship's Rudder by Zxcvbnmghtr: 4:01pm On Aug 03, 2023
Litmus:

Are they Nigerians, what evidence proved them genuinely Nigerians ?

The news wasn't reported by me. I have no idea. Do you have any evidence that they are not Nigerians? Litmus

1 Like

Re: Four Nigerians, Rescued In Brazil, Survived 14 Days On A Ship's Rudder by Kemadealadire(f): 4:02pm On Aug 03, 2023
The two who came back🌝 why did they take such a risk in the first place🤷🏽‍♀️ all for nothing 🥴

2 Likes

Re: Four Nigerians, Rescued In Brazil, Survived 14 Days On A Ship's Rudder by BoldBrainz(m): 4:02pm On Aug 03, 2023
tojahh:
Chai

This reminds me of my trip to Palermo via Tripoli (Libya). Mehn don suffer sha.

Werey.. grin!!
Re: Four Nigerians, Rescued In Brazil, Survived 14 Days On A Ship's Rudder by NSK4U(m): 4:02pm On Aug 03, 2023
Which kind ship b diz?
Re: Four Nigerians, Rescued In Brazil, Survived 14 Days On A Ship's Rudder by Billionaire2: 4:03pm On Aug 03, 2023
tensazangetsu20:
They are lucky. Brazil is heaven on earth compared to any place in Africa

Boss, Enugu is better than Brazil…. Unless you’re in fast lane …

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Four Nigerians, Rescued In Brazil, Survived 14 Days On A Ship's Rudder by NaijaCuzin: 4:03pm On Aug 03, 2023
2 weeks on sea
Re: Four Nigerians, Rescued In Brazil, Survived 14 Days On A Ship's Rudder by PsychoTheRapist: 4:03pm On Aug 03, 2023
Yeye man grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Bike Men Gather To Dump A Cab Blocking The Road Inside Gutter In Ibadan (video) / COVID-19: Imo State Transportation Guidelines / Amaechi, Ajimobi Inspect Lagos-Ibadan Railway At Ibadan Axis (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.