Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,150 members, 7,849,582 topics. Date: Tuesday, 04 June 2024 at 03:52 AM

Four Nigerians, Rescued In Brazil, Survived 14 Days On A Ship's Rudder - Travel (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Four Nigerians, Rescued In Brazil, Survived 14 Days On A Ship's Rudder (34730 Views)

Liberia Deports Four Nigerians 10 Years After Bank Robbery Conviction / Stowaways Spotted Under A Ship Going To Unknown Destination (Photos) / The Moment A Ship Sank In Port Harcourt, Rivers State (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Four Nigerians, Rescued In Brazil, Survived 14 Days On A Ship's Rudder by tensazangetsu20(m): 4:03pm On Aug 03, 2023
Fmghewzy:

You cap too much 🧢🧢🧢

No one should take any travel advise from you, you already look down on Nigeria and Africa as a whole .

So your opinions are always biased.

It is bullshit to say that Brazil is better than all African countries, I am tempted to say "madness" 😤

Have you travelled or lived in Brazil. I have travelled to over 14 African countries and lived there and I am telling you that Brazil is heaven on earth compared to any African country and you are saying I am capping. You guys don't know how backward Africa is.

12 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Four Nigerians, Rescued In Brazil, Survived 14 Days On A Ship's Rudder by Teettyllayho: 4:04pm On Aug 03, 2023
https://www.facebook.com/100083074675141/posts/pfbid0279mNnUWWatMTMvk4ax3iuH6DXvfZfnGPm5xDa4bdxsD4guxhqrcBVemUaMidTsv4l/?app=fbl

Hello, sorry to bother you. Please kindly vote for my baby in the Face of Cultural Attire Contest, August edition. Simply vote by liking the photo and following the FOCA page. Thank you so much.
Re: Four Nigerians, Rescued In Brazil, Survived 14 Days On A Ship's Rudder by sylve11: 4:05pm On Aug 03, 2023
ianq:
The two who chose to return are hell bent on making it to Europe. Be on the lookout for a sequel to their daunting trip.

You think fast and smart... cool

1 Like

Re: Four Nigerians, Rescued In Brazil, Survived 14 Days On A Ship's Rudder by Billionaire2: 4:05pm On Aug 03, 2023
Gerrard59:

So mention the country in Africa that is better off than Brazil?

You people just type nonsense anyhow.

For you to ask this means you’ve never been anywhere Oga… Brazil? 😂 😂😂

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Four Nigerians, Rescued In Brazil, Survived 14 Days On A Ship's Rudder by israelmao(m): 4:07pm On Aug 03, 2023
Japa desperados
Re: Four Nigerians, Rescued In Brazil, Survived 14 Days On A Ship's Rudder by Celepope: 4:08pm On Aug 03, 2023
From a reliable source, the two that remained have been granted asylum by the Brazilian government. There are slight differences between Nigeria and Brazil. Brazil is riddled with crime compared to Nigeria with way lesser crimes. The two countries are ironical nations suffering in the midst of plenty.

1 Like

Re: Four Nigerians, Rescued In Brazil, Survived 14 Days On A Ship's Rudder by sylve11: 4:08pm On Aug 03, 2023
Kemadealadire:
The two who came back🌝 why did they take such a risk in the first place🤷🏽‍♀️ all for nothing 🥴

Their intended destination is "Europe". Brazil is a no no for them.

They will still take the same risk if the doors of opportunity is thrown wide open, in as much it's Europe. cool
Re: Four Nigerians, Rescued In Brazil, Survived 14 Days On A Ship's Rudder by Lance008(m): 4:08pm On Aug 03, 2023
The one mak return Na only God fit help them
Being in Brazil you are already closer to USA
Re: Four Nigerians, Rescued In Brazil, Survived 14 Days On A Ship's Rudder by Akalia(m): 4:08pm On Aug 03, 2023
Billionaire2:

Boss, Enugu is better than Brazil…. Unless you’re in fast lane …
Where in 042 are u at?
Re: Four Nigerians, Rescued In Brazil, Survived 14 Days On A Ship's Rudder by Prenonjebose: 4:09pm On Aug 03, 2023
Two returned back to Nigeria. Most likely to make another attempt at getting to Europe

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Four Nigerians, Rescued In Brazil, Survived 14 Days On A Ship's Rudder by FreeStuffsNG: 4:10pm On Aug 03, 2023
Grit2943:
SAO PAULO, Aug 1 (Reuters) - On their tenth day at sea, the four Nigerian stowaways crossing the Atlantic in a tiny space above the rudder of a cargo ship ran out of food and drink.

They survived another four days, according to their account, by drinking the sea water crashing just meters below them, before being rescued by Brazilian federal police in the southeastern port of Vitoria.

Their remarkable, death-defying journey across some 5,600 kilometers (3,500 miles) of ocean underlines the risks some migrants are prepared to take for a shot at a better life.

It was a terrible experience for me," said 38-year-old Thankgod Opemipo Matthew Yeye, one of the four Nigerians, in an interview at a Sao Paulo church shelter. "On board it is not easy. I was shaking, so scared. But I'm here."

Their relief at being rescued soon gave way to surprise.

The four men said they had hoped to reach Europe and were shocked to learn they had in fact landed on the other side of the Atlantic, in Brazil. Two of the men have since been returned to Nigeria upon their request, while Yeye and Roman Ebimene Friday, a 35-year-old from Bayelsa state, have applied for asylum in Brazil.

"I pray the government of Brazil will have pity on me," said Friday, who had already attempted to flee Nigeria by ship once before but was arrested by authorities there.

Both men said economic hardship, political instability and crime had left them with little option but to abandon their native Nigeria. Africa's most populous country has longstanding issues of violence and poverty, and kidnappings are endemic.

Yeye, a pentecostal minister from Lagos state, said his peanut and palm oil farm was destroyed by floods this year, leaving him and his family homeless. He hopes they can now join him in Brazil.

Friday said his journey to Brazil began on June 27, when a fisherman friend rowed him up to the stern of the Liberian-flagged Ken Wave, docked in Lagos, and left him by the rudder. To his surprise, he found three men already there, waiting for the ship to depart. Friday said he was terrified. He had never met his new shipmates and feared they could toss him into the sea at any moment.

Once the ship was moving, Friday said the four men made every effort not to be discovered by the ship's crew, who they also worried might offer them a watery grave.

"Maybe if they catch you they will throw you in the water," he said. "So we taught ourselves never to make a noise."

Spending two weeks within spitting distance of the Atlantic Ocean was perilous.

To prevent themselves from falling into the water, Friday said the men rigged up a net around the rudder and tied themselves to it with a rope. When he looked down, he said he could see "big fish like whales and sharks." Due to the cramped conditions and the noise of the engine, sleep was rare and risky. "I was very happy when we got rescued," he said.

Father Paolo Parise, a priest at the Sao Paulo shelter, said he had come across other cases of stowaways, but never one so dangerous. Their journey paid testament to lengths people will go in search of a new start, he said. "People do unimaginable and deeply dangerous things."

https://www.reuters.com/world/americas/four-nigerians-rescued-brazil-survived-14-days-ships-rudder-2023-08-01/

Women can never be this foolish. I trust women never to try something as foolish as this. These men are probably running away from the Law and LAPO

1 Like

Re: Four Nigerians, Rescued In Brazil, Survived 14 Days On A Ship's Rudder by Segzy19: 4:13pm On Aug 03, 2023
News no complete!
Two of them requested that they be taken back to Nigeria when they realised that they landed in Brazil, and not Europe as they wished, while the other two applied for asylum in Brazil....

That was a dangerous risk sha.....

1 Like

Re: Four Nigerians, Rescued In Brazil, Survived 14 Days On A Ship's Rudder by erico2k2(m): 4:14pm On Aug 03, 2023
Grit2943:
SAO PAULO, Aug 1 (Reuters) - On their tenth day at sea, the four Nigerian stowaways crossing the Atlantic in a tiny space above the rudder of a cargo ship ran out of food and drink.

They survived another four days, according to their account, by drinking the sea water crashing just meters below them, before being rescued by Brazilian federal police in the southeastern port of Vitoria.

Their remarkable, death-defying journey across some 5,600 kilometers (3,500 miles) of ocean underlines the risks some migrants are prepared to take for a shot at a better life.

It was a terrible experience for me," said 38-year-old Thankgod Opemipo Matthew Yeye, one of the four Nigerians, in an interview at a Sao Paulo church shelter. "On board it is not easy. I was shaking, so scared. But I'm here."

The four men said they had hoped to reach Europe and were shocked to learn they had in fact landed on the other side of the Atlantic, in Brazil. Two of the men have since been returned to Nigeria upon their request, while Yeye and Roman Ebimene Friday, a 35-year-old from Bayelsa state, have applied for asylum in Brazil.

"I pray the government of Brazil will have pity on me," said Friday, who had already attempted to flee Nigeria by ship once before but was arrested by authorities there.

Both men said economic hardship, political instability and crime had left them with little option but to abandon their native Nigeria. Africa's most populous country has longstanding issues of violence and poverty, and kidnappings are endemic.

Yeye, a pentecostal minister from Lagos state, said his peanut and palm oil farm was destroyed by floods this year, leaving him and his family homeless. He hopes they can now join him in Brazil.

Friday said his journey to Brazil began on June 27, when a fisherman friend rowed him up to the stern of the Liberian-flagged Ken Wave, docked in Lagos, and left him by the rudder. To his surprise, he found three men already there, waiting for the ship to depart. Friday said he was terrified. He had never met his new shipmates and feared they could toss him into the sea at any moment.

Once the ship was moving, Friday said the four men made every effort not to be discovered by the ship's crew, who they also worried might offer them a watery grave.

"Maybe if they catch you they will throw you in the water," he said. "So we taught ourselves never to make a noise."

To prevent themselves from falling into the water, Friday said the men rigged up a net around the rudder and tied themselves to it with a rope. When he looked down, he said he could see "big fish like whales and sharks." Due to the cramped conditions and the noise of the engine, sleep was rare and risky. "I was very happy when we got rescued," he said.

Father Paolo Parise, a priest at the Sao Paulo shelter, said he had come across other cases of stowaways, but never one so dangerous. Their journey paid testament to lengths people will go in search of a new start, he said. "People do unimaginable and deeply dangerous things."

https://www.reuters.com/world/americas/four-nigerians-rescued-brazil-survived-14-days-ships-rudder-2023-08-01/

ANd of all place brazil
Re: Four Nigerians, Rescued In Brazil, Survived 14 Days On A Ship's Rudder by Pootle: 4:15pm On Aug 03, 2023
Dyfynezz12:
No wonder the whites think we are half human nd half animal

you right we act and behave that way most time...living like a rodent, more like those monkeys that truck drivers tie to their truck undecided
Re: Four Nigerians, Rescued In Brazil, Survived 14 Days On A Ship's Rudder by erico2k2(m): 4:15pm On Aug 03, 2023
Celepope:
From a reliable source, the two that remained have been granted asylum by the Brazilian government. There are slight differences between Nigeria and Brazil. Brazil is riddled with crime compared to Nigeria with way lesser crimes. The two countries are ironical nations suffering in the midst of plenty.
The only thing be say if them get Brazilian passport they are visa fre to EU and UK

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Four Nigerians, Rescued In Brazil, Survived 14 Days On A Ship's Rudder by Chukkychukky(m): 4:16pm On Aug 03, 2023
If ur time never reach no man fit kill u

3 Likes

Re: Four Nigerians, Rescued In Brazil, Survived 14 Days On A Ship's Rudder by erico2k2(m): 4:16pm On Aug 03, 2023
tensazangetsu20:

Have you travelled or lived in Brazil. I have travelled to over 14 African countries and lived there and I am telling you that Brazil is heaven on earth compared to any African country and you are saying I am capping. You guys don't know how backward Africa is.
what part pf Brazil are we talking about? the tourist area or the everyday hood like the favelas?
Re: Four Nigerians, Rescued In Brazil, Survived 14 Days On A Ship's Rudder by xandy84: 4:17pm On Aug 03, 2023
Brazil is not heaven one bit and no country is closer to heaven in this world. After living in US for 10 years, I can tell you is little better than Nigeria and some areas in US is worse than Bariga for real. The crime rate, unemployment in Brazil will rival the one in Nigeria. That is a fact.

tensazangetsu20:
They are lucky. Brazil is heaven on earth compared to any place in Africa

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Four Nigerians, Rescued In Brazil, Survived 14 Days On A Ship's Rudder by erico2k2(m): 4:18pm On Aug 03, 2023
nairalanda1:

Hmm, Brazil is a nice country. One of the places I would dearly love to jakpa to and work for ten years self.
WORK ahahah which work?

1 Like

Re: Four Nigerians, Rescued In Brazil, Survived 14 Days On A Ship's Rudder by gaskiyamagana: 4:18pm On Aug 03, 2023
ednut1:
2 of them have voluntarily returned to Nigeria
They are failures. After surviving such risk and not deported by the Brazilian authority . Their village people mean them seriously.

1 Like

Re: Four Nigerians, Rescued In Brazil, Survived 14 Days On A Ship's Rudder by tensazangetsu20(m): 4:18pm On Aug 03, 2023
erico2k2:

what part pf Brazil are we talking about? the tourist area or the everyday hood like the favelas?

So in every country in the world everywhere is nice. Even the favelas can't still be compared to anywhere in Africa. Brazil is a very solid country. One of the top 10 largest economies in the world.

5 Likes

Re: Four Nigerians, Rescued In Brazil, Survived 14 Days On A Ship's Rudder by UnfairLife7(m): 4:18pm On Aug 03, 2023
Zxcvbnmghtr:

You mean these ones will be given loans in the country they are going to? Is that why the chose such desperation? Let's be real.

The only thing that can make you suffer in Nigeria is if you don't have sense.
I know you're more Nigerian than me. Nigeria top the ladder of poverty and unemployed graduates. The level of poverty and unemployment has increased under Emilokan. Tell me how many family can afford 3 square meal daily in Nigeria today? Opportunity in Nigeria, and i asked you would you grant me loan to execute it ? Or you think every opportunity doesn't need resources? Why do we have lots of youths indulging in cyber fraud now? Graduates are riding bike if you care to know. Graduates are being paid 30k. Stop being more Nigerian than i am. The country is getting worse on a daily basis. You're not more sensible than the 70 years old man i met today who said this country should either be divided, military take over or the white should come back. This was someone who had spent 7 good decades on earth. If this country is good those guys wouldn't risk their lives.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Four Nigerians, Rescued In Brazil, Survived 14 Days On A Ship's Rudder by Nobody: 4:19pm On Aug 03, 2023
BoldBrainz:
See these Yoruba people o grin!

After foolishly voting for Tinubu and standing on his retarded mandate, you're stowing away in ships to escape the effects of the governance of the same thieving charlatan you stubbornly voted for cause of tribe and religion.

They should deport the bastard back to Ibadan let him join the army and eat Tinubu's maize!

Not all yorubas voted Tinubu
Re: Four Nigerians, Rescued In Brazil, Survived 14 Days On A Ship's Rudder by tensazangetsu20(m): 4:20pm On Aug 03, 2023
xandy84:
Brazil is not heaven one bit and no country is closer to heaven in this world. After living in US for 10 years, I can tell you is little better than Nigeria and some areas in US is worse than Bariga for real. The crime rate, unemployment in Brazil will rival the one in Nigeria. That is a fact.

Lol Nigeria's unemployment rate is over 50 percent. Brazil's unemployment rate is less than 20 percent. Both countries are the same population. You can't compare Nigeria to Brazil. That is an insult on Brazil itself.

5 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Four Nigerians, Rescued In Brazil, Survived 14 Days On A Ship's Rudder by Purvan(m): 4:20pm On Aug 03, 2023
SayNo2SmallPrik:

You Dey talk nonsense with confidence, same you wey say you go Brazil in your dream. Sule

STFU
You want mek I brag say I go Brazil
Re: Four Nigerians, Rescued In Brazil, Survived 14 Days On A Ship's Rudder by Litmus: 4:20pm On Aug 03, 2023
Grit2943:

Lol, See big lies shocked
Re: Four Nigerians, Rescued In Brazil, Survived 14 Days On A Ship's Rudder by henrimoto(m): 4:20pm On Aug 03, 2023
Gerrard59:

I do agree that Brazil is unsafe due to many criminals. But Kenya is not better off and certainly not Gabon. That is like saying Bonny Island is better off than Edo state. Apples to oranges. Even at that, Gabon is notoriously poor. I am willing to bet Bonny residents have higher living standards than Gabonese. Morocco is not an "African" country. Africa here means black Africa.
😆😆😆 @gerrard, wetin Morocco come be ? Arab country abi European ? 😆 😆
Re: Four Nigerians, Rescued In Brazil, Survived 14 Days On A Ship's Rudder by Willie2015: 4:20pm On Aug 03, 2023
Zxcvbnmghtr:
undecided Some people are just funny. It amuses me how people are so narrow minded to see the abundant opportunities in Nigeria and utilize them efficiently. grin
It always amuses me really. Hope they are deported back to Nigeria at once. cheesy

Where are the abundant opportunities ?
Do you know how many SMEs don collapse with Buhari,s policies?
Not to talk of the current scenario of high cost of fuel with Tinubu administration....
Try and say what you know...

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Four Nigerians, Rescued In Brazil, Survived 14 Days On A Ship's Rudder by Purvan(m): 4:20pm On Aug 03, 2023
AderonkeOlaniyi:

Mugu.

Cunt
Re: Four Nigerians, Rescued In Brazil, Survived 14 Days On A Ship's Rudder by Reference(m): 4:20pm On Aug 03, 2023
They are lucky that the weather was good. In serious storms they will not stand a chance on that rudder. The forces will simply tear them apart.

2 Likes

Re: Four Nigerians, Rescued In Brazil, Survived 14 Days On A Ship's Rudder by SayNo2SmallPrik: 4:21pm On Aug 03, 2023
Purvan:

STFU
You want mek I brag say I go Brazil
Your papa no get intl passport. Na bank account and SIM card make you get NIN sef. Village rat
Re: Four Nigerians, Rescued In Brazil, Survived 14 Days On A Ship's Rudder by soccerlite: 4:21pm On Aug 03, 2023
Purvan:

SMH

Gabon

Kenya

Morocco

The only good thing in Brazil is booze, food and women

I've lived in Sao Paulo and escaped death twice by unknown gunmen

You lived in rough area

Why not Catarina, allegre

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Bike Men Gather To Dump A Cab Blocking The Road Inside Gutter In Ibadan (video) / COVID-19: Imo State Transportation Guidelines / Amaechi, Ajimobi Inspect Lagos-Ibadan Railway At Ibadan Axis (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.