Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,280 members, 7,815,477 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 01:00 PM

Law Is Not The Only “Learned Profession” By Farooq A. Kperogi - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Law Is Not The Only “Learned Profession” By Farooq A. Kperogi (16703 Views)

Tinubu: A Presidential Disaster Waiting To Happen? - By Farooq A. Kperogi / How To Resolve The Hijab Controversy By Farooq A. Kperogi / 4 Blood Relatives Of President Buhari Who Work In Aso Rock By Farooq Kperogi (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Law Is Not The Only “Learned Profession” By Farooq A. Kperogi by Racoon(m): 9:37pm On Sep 09, 2023
Nigerian lawyers like to say their profession is the "only learned profession." That's both ignorant and ahistorical. They also think the term "my learned friend"--used in British courts as a form of address by lawyers on opposing sides of cases--is a validation of their claim that their profession is the "only learned profession." Again, that's wrong.

I am writing this column from Madrid in Spain where I am attending an academic conference. Because of my crowded schedule here, I have not had the chance to thoroughly read and digest the judgement delivered by the Presidential Election Petition Tribunal, so I won’t be able to make an informed commentary on it. I expect to be able to do that by next week when I am back at my base.

Nonetheless, a comment I read on Facebook about the tribunal inspired this column. Dr. Raji Bello, a versatile, polymathic medical doctor from Yola, wondered on Thursday why lawyers, including Senior Advocates who have reached the acme of their careers, routinely make elementary procedural mistakes that invite the censure of judges.

“It is often said that a good surgeon knows when not to operate. Is there anything like that in the legal profession--like a good lawyer knowing when not to go to court? While I have come to understand that things are more open to interpretation in the social sciences (like law) as compared to the natural sciences, I still get baffled whenever a judge dismisses a case by reminding the petitioners of a basic technical rule or provision of the law. I then usually ask myself, shouldn't the lawyer have known this?

“Like the fact that a pre-election matter should not be brought up after the general election, a plaintiff lacking locus standi in a matter, or that only a past criminal conviction could be used against a politician, not a civil one? With my ‘unlearned’ scientific background, I assume that a lawyer should be able to advise a client beforehand, for example, that look, you lack the locus standi to petition about the primary election of a political party other than yours, so let's not go to court over that.”

Nigerian lawyers have succeeded in bamboozling Nigerians into accepting the ignorant falsehood that the legal profession is the “only learned profession” in the world. But the notion that law is the “only learned profession”—which exists only in Nigeria and nowhere else in the world— sprouts from a fundamental misapprehension of terminologies.

“Learned professions” is an old English expression that was used in the Middle Ages to refer to medicine, theology, and law. Teaching was later added as the fourth learned profession. These careers were called “learned” because of the disproportionately extensive intellectual preparation required to qualify to practice them, particularly in relation to the other vocations of the time.

“Learned profession” never ever exclusively referred to law at any point in history in any country. Most importantly, though, that term is now obsolete. The Middle Ages, also called the Dark Ages, ended between 1400 and 1450, that is, nearly 600 years ago. Why are Nigerian lawyers stuck in the terminology of the Dark Ages?

In contemporary English usage, any vocation that requires extensive specialized training is called a “profession.” In other words, “profession” has now replaced “learned profession.” If we were still to use the archaic expression “learned profession,” many professions would be called “learned.”

The standard definition of a profession now—or what people in the Dark Ages used to call “learned profession”—is any field of study that requires at least a university degree, that has a well-defined and enforceable code of ethics, that policies entry and exit into its ranks through licensing, and that serves the public good.

So, in addition to medicine and law, the modern sense of “professions” includes such careers as accountancy, auditing, architecture, engineering, pharmacy, veterinary medicine, nursing, etc.

Interestingly, teaching and theology no longer quite fit the definition of a profession because there is no licensing requirement to be a teacher, a clergyman, or a clergywoman in Nigeria. It’s different in other countries, of course. In the United States, for instance, primary and secondary school teachers need a degree and a license to teach.

Similarly, lawyers who earned a law degree but don’t practice law—or who have a law degree but failed to go to law school— aren’t regarded as “professionals” or, to use their favorite Dark-Ages adjective, “learned.”

The notion that the legal profession is the "only learned profession" in the world grew out of the sophomoric ebullience of undergraduate law students in Nigeria who were awestruck by the opportunity to study law. You would expect that as they grow older, they would outgrow this wide-eyed infantilism.

Unfortunately, many of them are still wedded to it, and most of them who mouth it endlessly are those who have almost zero understanding of logic and argumentation, who make embarrassing procedural errors in court filings, and who have not the slightest hint that they are actually ignorant of the history and meaning of the expression that they wear as a badge of professional pride.

A related expression Nigerian lawyers misunderstand is “my learned friend”— often rendered in Nigeria as “my learned colleague.” Nigerian lawyers think the term is a validation of their misunderstanding that the legal profession is the “only learned profession” in the world.

But “my learned friend” is merely a polite term of address that lawyers in British (and Commonwealth) courts use when they address each other, especially if they are opponents. The term was introduced to enhance civility and mutual courtesy in legal contests. It is, of course, the truncated form of “my friend on the opposing side who is learned in law.”

A British gentleman who isn’t a lawyer but who chose to represent himself in court once wrote that the lawyer he argued against addressed him as “my learned friend.” That means British lawyers, unlike Nigerian lawyers, don’t understand “my learned friend” to be a linguistic marker of professional superiority.

This is consistent with what an old British lawyer by the name of Bhagwan Dass Ahuja wrote in a June 17, 2022, article titled “How Lawyers Argue a Court Case: The Phrases of The Complete Lawyer.” He wrote: “Even if you have known the opposing counsel as a family friend, even if he is old enough to be your father, even if he knows nothing of the law, he is still your ‘Learned Friend’.” In other words, you don’t have to be a lawyer to be called “my learned friend.”

Before the term was introduced in Britain, lawyers who argued on opposite sides of a case often used crude, coarse, unguarded putdowns to undermine each other.

So, “learned friend”—or its many variants—is merely a term of courtesy, an invitation to conviviality, not an indication of professional arrogance. It also helps lawyers to avoid calling the names of people in court. Many Nigerian lawyers don’t seem to know this.

American lawyers, interestingly, don’t call each other “learned friend” or “learned colleague,” nor do they call their profession a “learned profession” or, worse, the “only learned profession”—as some puffed-up Nigerian lawyers tend to do.

“My learned friend” is similar to how American senators address their colleagues as “distinguished senator” out of conversational courtesy—even when the colleagues may not really be “distinguished.” The Nigerian use of “distinguished senator” obviously owes lexical debt to America since, in any case, our democracy is modelled after theirs.

However, only Nigerian senators capitalize the first letters in the expression, make it an honorific, and prefix it to their names, such as “Distinguished Senator (First name) (Last name).” In fact, “distinguished” has now become a standalone title, treated as if it were a noun, and used as a form of address. This would strike Americans, from whom it's borrowed, as rather quaint and comical.

In American English, the phrase typically occurs this way: “I disagree with the distinguished senator from Georgia” or “The distinguished senator from Oregon made a great point,” etc.

In other words, “distinguished senator” is only a phrase, not a title, and is typically used in a sentence to politely signal disagreement or agreement during parliamentary debates. “Distinguished Senator (First name) (Last name)” is as ridiculous as lawyers being addressed as “Learned Friend (First name) (Last name).”

I like Dr. Bello’s choice of words to describe his knowledge base in relation to lawyers: “‘unlearned’ scientific background.” That’s an interesting lexical paradox that unintentionally pokes fun at the empty epistemic conceit of Nigerian lawyers who say only they are “learned.”

Science literally means "knowledge, learning, application,” and is derived from the root word scire, which means "to know." If a scientist is “unlearned” because he isn’t a lawyer, I leave you to guess who is the ignorant one.
https://www.farooqkperogi.com/2023/09/law-is-not-only-learned-profession.html

43 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Law Is Not The Only “Learned Profession” By Farooq A. Kperogi by successmatters(m): 9:37pm On Sep 09, 2023
At this point, I am never going to call any man who studied law and is defending election robbery a learned gentleman again, I am more learned than all of them.

I won't be surprised to learn that under their suit, they are wearing NURTW vests and carrying broken bottles and knives in their pockets.

74 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Law Is Not The Only “Learned Profession” By Farooq A. Kperogi by Racoon(m): 9:44pm On Sep 09, 2023
The so called learned counsels in Nigeria are hardened judicial criminals just out to rubberstamped any electoral and constitutional illegality before them.

36 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Law Is Not The Only “Learned Profession” By Farooq A. Kperogi by Racoon(m): 9:47pm On Sep 09, 2023
"Judgments have been delivered. Justice is different from judgment. Nigeria shall reap the fruits of what is being ditched out by those we trust to do what is right. Those who got judgments know the truth in their hearts. Those celebrating know the truth. Truth is constant..."

27 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Law Is Not The Only “Learned Profession” By Farooq A. Kperogi by DCmaverick(m): 9:50pm On Sep 09, 2023
Criminals everywhere u go!

2 Likes

Re: Law Is Not The Only “Learned Profession” By Farooq A. Kperogi by helinues: 9:54pm On Sep 09, 2023
In Farooq words, a Carpenter can also interpret the law.

Chai, so many people have stopped reasoning things logically

54 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Law Is Not The Only “Learned Profession” By Farooq A. Kperogi by helinues: 9:56pm On Sep 09, 2023
Racoon:
The so called learned counsels in Nigeria are hardened judicial criminals just out to rubberstamped any electoral and constitutional illegality before them.

You people can't emotionally blackmail others.

Your principal is yet to tell us what figure he got to have won the election, not even where he got the 25% in 24 states not to talk about how he arrived at his figure

86 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Law Is Not The Only “Learned Profession” By Farooq A. Kperogi by jmoore(m): 9:56pm On Sep 09, 2023
I can vivdly remember how Donald Duke bragged about being learned when he was still governor of Crossrivers. He was addressing journalists and he indirectly made a statement that lawyers are more learned than journalists.

Ego runs in Nigeria in almost everything. Some that have bsc will say they are better than hnd graduates.
I have been in court several times, and have been disappointed many times by the performance of some lawyers representing their clients.

55 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Law Is Not The Only “Learned Profession” By Farooq A. Kperogi by FreeStuffsNG: 10:02pm On Sep 09, 2023
Impressive!!!

56 Likes

Re: Law Is Not The Only “Learned Profession” By Farooq A. Kperogi by DeLaRue: 10:03pm On Sep 09, 2023
Well written.

If you attend courts in Nigeria, you will be shocked by the extent of most lawyers' poor understanding of basic procedural rules, and shoddy case preparation.

Judges spend an inordinate time tutoring lawyers appearing before them on basic interpretation and application of rules and laws.

Many lawyers have been in practice for more than 20 years, and have appeared in courts hundreds of time, yet they don't know much. They mostly rely on bravado.

Take a look at the Labour party case at the tribunal which was strewn with several amateur errors despite a legal team consisting of several SANs.

Truth is, most Nigerians, whether they are carpenters, brick layers, hair dressers, doctors, engineers etc simply do not pay attention to detail in their line of work.

Most mechanics can't repair a vehicle properly. Many carpenters can't construct a 4-legged table without one leg being slightly longer or shorter than the others. Every 2 weeks I go for a haircut to the same barber but return home looking different each time despite always requesting the same hair style.

In Nigeria, consistent quality is absent in almost all fields.

113 Likes 11 Shares

Re: Law Is Not The Only “Learned Profession” By Farooq A. Kperogi by jmoore(m): 10:04pm On Sep 09, 2023
helinues:
In Farooq words, a Carpenter can also also interpret the law.

Chai, so many people have stopped reasoning things logically
Stealing is a crime.

A carpenter doesn't know what is stealing, he/she needs a supreme court judge to interpret it?

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Law Is Not The Only “Learned Profession” By Farooq A. Kperogi by helinues: 10:08pm On Sep 09, 2023
jmoore:

Stealing is a crime.

A carpenter doesn't know what is stealing, he/she needs a supreme court judge to interpret it?

Abi cos I still dey wonder how Atiku and Tinubu received zero votes from Obi's polling unit. It's either their agents voted for LP or refused to vote at all

Hypocrisy stinks more than rotten eggs

59 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Law Is Not The Only “Learned Profession” By Farooq A. Kperogi by helinues: 10:16pm On Sep 09, 2023
jmoore:
I can vivdly remember how Donald Duke bragged about being learned when he was still governor of Crossrivers. He was addressing journalists and he indirectly made a statement that lawyers are more learned than journalists.

Ego runs in Nigeria in almost everything. Some that have bsc will say they are better than hnd graduates.
I have been in court several times, and have been disappointed many times by the performance of some lawyers representing their clients.

Do you agreed that Obi and Atiku's lawyers scammed them?

57 Likes

Re: Law Is Not The Only “Learned Profession” By Farooq A. Kperogi by tuoyoojo(m): 10:42pm On Sep 09, 2023
Ik
Re: Law Is Not The Only “Learned Profession” By Farooq A. Kperogi by Donaldoni: 10:43pm On Sep 09, 2023
k
Re: Law Is Not The Only “Learned Profession” By Farooq A. Kperogi by Onyeigbo10000: 10:43pm On Sep 09, 2023
I want to start comedy content Creation.

Please advise me.
Re: Law Is Not The Only “Learned Profession” By Farooq A. Kperogi by jubrilELsudan: 10:43pm On Sep 09, 2023
LIKE SEY TO BE LAWYER STILL DEY SWEET

Re: Law Is Not The Only “Learned Profession” By Farooq A. Kperogi by jojothaiv(m): 10:46pm On Sep 09, 2023
Laws?

Lawyers?

Lucifer...
Re: Law Is Not The Only “Learned Profession” By Farooq A. Kperogi by id4sho(m): 10:47pm On Sep 09, 2023
Don't know why most Nigerians think law is the only learned profession tongue

1 Like

Re: Law Is Not The Only “Learned Profession” By Farooq A. Kperogi by Dogalmighty17: 10:48pm On Sep 09, 2023
What are they learning
?
Re: Law Is Not The Only “Learned Profession” By Farooq A. Kperogi by Macdeey: 10:49pm On Sep 09, 2023
grin

Ok 🆗🆗🆗! We don hear say you dey Spain grin grin grin
My Learned Amebo !!! grin grin grin

6 Likes

Re: Law Is Not The Only “Learned Profession” By Farooq A. Kperogi by b3llo(m): 10:49pm On Sep 09, 2023
Nice one Prof
Re: Law Is Not The Only “Learned Profession” By Farooq A. Kperogi by LabourPartyNG: 10:50pm On Sep 09, 2023
Abi ooo
Re: Law Is Not The Only “Learned Profession” By Farooq A. Kperogi by ExtremeDot: 10:51pm On Sep 09, 2023
I agree.
Pastor, clergymen in general should also be regarded as a learned profession.
It takes a whole lot of studying to be capable of controlling and owning the minds of adult humans.

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Law Is Not The Only “Learned Profession” By Farooq A. Kperogi by Vifx: 10:54pm On Sep 09, 2023
Lol
Re: Law Is Not The Only “Learned Profession” By Farooq A. Kperogi by kennyz247(m): 10:55pm On Sep 09, 2023
most over- hype career course in Nigeria with no relevance to Nigeria interest or development..

owon egbe ole lason lason

2 Likes

Re: Law Is Not The Only “Learned Profession” By Farooq A. Kperogi by DirtyGold: 10:55pm On Sep 09, 2023
The funny thing about the legal profession in Nigeria at the moment is that lawyers are at the forefront of deriding and casting aspersions on judges and the judiciary as a whole.

The PEPT judgement was at best a huge embarrassment to all the SANs on parade by the petitioners. One begins to wonder what they went to court to do if they couldn't present the most basic element of evidence to claim victory or demand election cancellation.

If I was Atiku or Obi, I would be thinking of how my lawyers scammed me with their shameful incompetence. Or how the lawyers were secretly working for Tinubu because, all I can see is self-sabotage as that's the only explanation that will make sense.

What's tha business?

20 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Law Is Not The Only “Learned Profession” By Farooq A. Kperogi by EtovalRealEst: 10:56pm On Sep 09, 2023
🤔 The Irony of this is that the learned professionals would also tell you " ignorant of the law is not an excuse " ...Biko how many provisions do we want to know ... As for Surgeons knowing when not to operate that is perhaps an ethical thing base on the oath swore ... unfortunately a Lawyer is bond to also take up his client case provide he accepts to , whether the case is good or bad, what is important is how to outplay the other party and lastly if case no dey how lawyer go chop...🎩

7 Likes

Re: Law Is Not The Only “Learned Profession” By Farooq A. Kperogi by YoungLionken(m): 10:58pm On Sep 09, 2023
H
Re: Law Is Not The Only “Learned Profession” By Farooq A. Kperogi by BrickDevo: 10:59pm On Sep 09, 2023
Lolz
In the end all he said was gibrish
Not worth the time

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Kalu, Ribadu, Others Form Political Group. / Court Grants Bello And His Son Bail / Breaking News!! Steer Clear Of Our Offices, PDP Warns Oshiomhole, APC

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.