Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,271 members, 7,829,589 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 09:11 AM

When A Son Should Not Succeed A Father By Deji Yesufu - Religion (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / When A Son Should Not Succeed A Father By Deji Yesufu (31683 Views)

Biodun Fatoyinbo Aka "Robust Reply" Visits Ibadan By Deji Yesufu / ‘Sam Adeyemi And The Tithe’ by Deji Yesufu / Stephanie Otobo's Apology To Apostle Suleman By Deji Yesufu (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: When A Son Should Not Succeed A Father By Deji Yesufu by Kobojunkie: 11:53am On Sep 22, 2023
TOPMAN4LIFE:
■ You don't understand the work of Holy Spirit
You wey you pretend to understand his work, why you no answer the questions?.

Again, So by this logic of yours the reason the Catholic Church has survived for over 1600 years has to do with it being lef by this holy spirit you speak of? undecided

And this holy spirit was blind to all the attempts by several popes to turn the Catholic Church into a family business since the catholic church is still here many centuries after the fact? undecided

1 Like

Re: When A Son Should Not Succeed A Father By Deji Yesufu by Kobojunkie: 11:56am On Sep 22, 2023
crystalmoon:
He is not my friend. He is someone i found aimlessly walking around
Highly delusional Thanks for your help
Get him books to read on his condition if you truly know his diagnosis and talk to him about writing down his many experiences. He needs to decide whether and when to quit being tossed around by his mind or not. undecided
Re: When A Son Should Not Succeed A Father By Deji Yesufu by Kobojunkie: 11:57am On Sep 22, 2023
OGHENAOGIE:
so how did he practice it...
You can Google for more info on him along with the others like him. undecided
Re: When A Son Should Not Succeed A Father By Deji Yesufu by Pirosaw: 12:01pm On Sep 22, 2023
The truth must be told, if you built a company, spent all you have to built the company to a level that millions comes in as profit every month, can you hand over such company to an outsider? the answer is No. Don't be deceived it either to their wives or children or member of the family.

Except for some (which are very few) that are really into winning souls for the kingdom will hand over to some one outside their families. Most churches in the world are purely companies. May God help us and deliver us from greed and give us the Holy Spirit to lead us in all we do. Amen. Shalom

1 Like

Re: When A Son Should Not Succeed A Father By Deji Yesufu by Kobojunkie: 12:06pm On Sep 22, 2023
hakeemhakeem:
■ The son Thomas when away to served before the church brought he back to inherited his father's church
My gripe is with OP'S suggestion that Thomas was only given "the mantle" after he supposedly proved himself, a dubious twist on the events. The following is Thomas's story recorder on Wikipedia.....
Thomas and his twin brother were born a month before the tragedy at the Royal Surrey Gardens Music Hall of 19 October 1856 while their father was preaching. Their mother, Susannah became an invalid at the age of 33 while the boys were still in their teens.

After serving some time as an engraver, Thomas Spurgeon, like his brother Charles, decided to give his life to preaching the gospel. However, his health prevented him from remaining in England. While he was still young, he sailed to Australia, and spent one year in evangelistic labors there. After his return to England, it was decided that he must return to a better climate for his health. During the early 1880s he preached in many places in Australia, as well as in New Zealand, and finally he decided to accept the pastorate of a Baptist church in Auckland, the Auckland Baptist Tabernacle, where his influence was already becoming widely felt.

Thomas married Eliza McLeod Rutherford in 1888 in Auckland. A son, Thomas Harold Spurgeon, was born in 1891.

Thomas returned to England after the death of his father and succeeded him in his pulpit ministry after a brief period under Arthur Tappan Pierson. During Thomas' fifteen-year pastorate, the Tabernacle burned in 1898 and was rebuilt along similar lines. His brother Charles was pastor of the Greenwich Baptist Church.

1 Like

Re: When A Son Should Not Succeed A Father By Deji Yesufu by gidjah(m): 1:44pm On Sep 22, 2023
He said they have scrp backings... I just thought it's too sudden for a young man who left ministry for Holy wood to start dishing out instructions on God's exhalted altar.. he needs to go purging and hear afresh ..if you are not a minister one might not get the dynami cs, this is more than been sound in excegessis or doctrine ,it is a matter of Spirit and Life, one must be fresh to Carey this unction.I also pray he grows and let the HOLY SPIRIT DO THE WOEK AND NOT THE FLESH
seuncyrus:
The first time I heard this was on twitter. It sparked a debate and I was so confused . Isn't he an actor ? Was the Church willed to him or how exactly does this work ? So I got to know that he's a pastor too, He actually pastors the cave church in Lekki with his sister Tolu

But I still don't understand this Pastor with long dread , tattoos and ear piercings . Maybe I'm just old fashioned. If he's genuinely called I pray the Lord strengthens him
Re: When A Son Should Not Succeed A Father By Deji Yesufu by Konquest: 2:23pm On Sep 22, 2023
VBCampaign:
When a Son Should not Succeed a Father

By: Deji Yesufu

Charles Haddon Spurgeon is the most recent ancestor for all of us who hold profession to the Reformed Baptist faith. When Spurgeon began to pastor the New Park Street Chapel (later named London Metropolitan Tabernacle) in 1856, one of the first things he did was to introduce the 1689 London Baptist Confessions to his congregation. Spurgeon understood the liberal bent that English Christianity was about to take, and he positioned his congregation to battle the enemy headlong. Spurgeon was, however, not always successful in everything he sought to do ministry-wise.

For example, he wanted his son, Thomas, to succeed him in the pulpit ministry at the Tabernacle. Thomas, however, had other plans. Thomas felt called a missionary to foreign lands. It is said that this troubled the great Prince of Preachers. When Spurgeon died in 1892, his pulpit was taken over by Authur Tappan Pierson. A year later, the Tabernacle inaugurated Thomas as minister at the church his father used to Pastor. The church convinced Thomas to take up the mantle the father left behind. They understood enough the pressing desires of the great Spurgeon and that the young man, Thomas, had earned the right to succeed his father.

On the 7th of August, 2023, Taiwo Odukoya, Pastor of Fountain of Life Church, with headquarters at Ilupeju, Lagos, died in far away United Kingdom. He was aged 67 years old. Taiwo Odukoya had lost his well known wife and preacher, Bimbo Odukoya, in 2005 to the ill fated Sossoliso flight that year. Prior to her death, she was known as a charismatic preacher, a motivational speaker and one of the leading female preachers in Nigeria. Taiwo and Bimbo had a son, Jimmy, before their deaths. Jimmy Odukoya is the subject of our discussion today. Jimmy Odukoya has been proclaimed the worthy successor to his parent’s legacy as founders and pastors of Fountain of Life Church.

The trouble is not with his succession; the trouble is with the hues and cries that have greeted this announcement. People in churches are worried with the reality they are faced with: it appears that church work has essentially become family business in Nigeria. People invest time, talent and treasure in church, and then watch as they are bypassed at the death of the founder, while children that know little or nothing about the church are announced successors. In this article, I want to suggest when it is ideal for a son to succeed a father. And when it is not.

Naturally speaking, where all things are the way they should be, children should succeed their parents in a family’s line of work. Biblically speaking, the Hebrew were herdsmen that took this line of business from Abraham. The Aaronic priesthood passed through the sons of Aaron. Just as God honoured the Davidic line of royal succession, so that one day, the Son of David, Jesus Christ, will rule the nations. If a father carries out a work with integrity and professionalism, a son would have long learnt the spirit of that work before even venturing into the meat of it. So that by the time the father is old and passing, the son would have long taken over. We saw this in the life of the late Queen of England. For years, Charles had taken over most of his mother’s duties. So that at her death, he just took over the running of the monarchy – seamlessly.

There is however a few reasons why things are a bit different with the Odukoyas. The number one reason concerns the spirit and life of the Pentecostal/Word of Faith religion. At the heart of this religion is not service to God but service to self. Those of us who have observed this religion have seen how the consistent testimony from within her ranks is self-promotion, success, self-preservation, self exaltation, and personality cults. So that the almost universal certainty is that the moment the founder dies, the wife succeeds him. Or, the moment husband and wife are no more, the son is the natural successor. It doesn’t matter even if the son was known more in the entertainment circles than in ministry life.

Again, the problem is not with Jimmy taking over his father’s work; the problem is with the spirit of the father’s work in the first place. If these churches had been known as places where the poor is catered for; where the sick have found shelter; where the gospel is preached and sinners are converted; and where the leaders are living sacrificial lives, no one will say anything. They will understand that Jimmy is coming to serve and not to enrich himself. At the death of Spurgeon, the church was housing the largest Christian gathering in the world. Thomas Spurgeon understood the immense responsibility he would be getting into, and the natural tendency was to shrug it off. When ministry becomes an inheritance, rather than service, people have a right to complain.

My son, Iseoluwa, will be ten years old next month. Last Sunday, after church, I commented to a few people that I look forward to him learning theology and becoming a preacher like me. But my son will not be succeeding me as pastor of Providence Reformed Baptist Church, Ibadan. If he must, my son would have to receive a call from God to serve Him in Christian ministry. Then he would have to learn theology and become personally convinced of the Reformed Baptist faith. Following that, my son would have been serving in the local church in various positions. And if at my retirement or death, the church appoints him my successor, to God be all the glory. In the natural, because I see how much sacrifice true ministry comes with and how little money one makes, I’ll be sending my child to school to become a consummate professional in the field of medicine, law or engineering. If while serving there, God calls him to ministry, that will be between him and God.

Sons can succeed their fathers in business, and usually this is how it should be. There is however too many things wrong with the Pentecostal/Word of Faith religion that lends people towards suspecting her of foul play every time they make the headlines. No one can say for sure whether it is right or wrong for Jimmy to succeed his father in ministry. The heart motivation of all parties involved in this matter alone will justify the decision. But because the Pentecostal/Word of Faith religion is almost always self serving, people have a reason to be suspicious of every action taken within these churches.

Source: https://textandpublishing.com/when-a-son-should-not-succeed-a-father/
Insightful.
Re: When A Son Should Not Succeed A Father By Deji Yesufu by Ogabalogun: 4:12pm On Sep 22, 2023
Sir. thanks for this piece. You have nailed it on the head! i wish our Acclaimed fathers of faith can pay attention to this ministry work as service and not self- servicing venture.
God bless you!
Re: When A Son Should Not Succeed A Father By Deji Yesufu by soccerlite: 4:21pm On Sep 22, 2023
mastermaestro:

You think ministry work is your usual secular organizational setup. Better respect the oil and grace of old men of faith. Baba Adeboye will only leave when GOD says so. Until then, just run along. sad

Funny

So why are retiring other pastors at 70

Ok cos they're not g.o

Thank God Jesus reigns forever
Re: When A Son Should Not Succeed A Father By Deji Yesufu by free2ryhme: 5:49pm On Sep 22, 2023
Kobojunkie:
Storyland! Is this the first son to succeed his father in this business of religious houses called churches which are majorly social clubs? Or is this discrimination masquerading as a concern? undecided

as usual you wont read before jumping into unnecessary conclusion

It is expected from an LGBTQ+ agent
Re: When A Son Should Not Succeed A Father By Deji Yesufu by seuncyrus(m): 10:07pm On Sep 22, 2023
gidjah:
He said they have scrp backings... I just thought it's too sudden for a young man who left ministry for Holy wood to start dishing out instructions on God's exhalted altar.. he needs to go purging and hear afresh ..if you are not a minister one might not get the dynami cs, this is more than been sound in excegessis or doctrine ,it is a matter of Spirit and Life, one must be fresh to Carey this unction.I also pray he grows and let the HOLY SPIRIT DO THE WOEK AND NOT THE FLESH

Have you seen the new topic about this ? He's defending the look . Hopefully it doesn't hinder his ministry. But I'm sure there are many "old fashioned" believers in the Church who many not like the look.
Re: When A Son Should Not Succeed A Father By Deji Yesufu by gidjah(m): 2:23pm On Sep 23, 2023
seuncyrus:

Have you seen the new topic about this ? He's defending the look . Hopefully it doesn't hinder his ministry. But I'm sure there are many "old fashioned" believers in the Church who many not like the look.
I am one of those bro, I prefer your inside to depicit your outside as well,no contravention or opposite. But I want to tell you sir most of us who claim the outside dosent represent the inside are mostly liars and totally yet to have full encounter with the HOLY SPIRIT. At what point in time did the HOLY SPIRIT you are representing instructed or permitted you to go that lane ?? What are your testimonies and experiences ?? LET THEM TRUTH FULLY GIVE ANSWERS TO D QUESTIONS ABOVE,THEN WE SAIL
Re: When A Son Should Not Succeed A Father By Deji Yesufu by seuncyrus(m): 5:54pm On Sep 23, 2023
gidjah:
I am one of those bro, I prefer your inside to depicit your outside as well,no contravention or opposite. But I want to tell you sir most of us who claim the outside dosent represent the inside are mostly liars and totally yet to have full encounter with the HOLY SPIRIT. At what point in time did the HOLY SPIRIT you are representing instructed or permitted you to go that lane ?? What are your testimonies and experiences ?? LET THEM TRUTH FULLY GIVE ANSWERS TO D QUESTIONS ABOVE,THEN WE SAIL

That's one of the reasons someone gave too and I really liked it . People wear corporate wear to office not because it is convenient , but the image you're trying to project. If you're truly a child of God. There are certain kind of appearance that won't appeal to you.
Re: When A Son Should Not Succeed A Father By Deji Yesufu by BJanta: 7:43pm On Sep 23, 2023
[quote author=seuncyrus post=125941394]

Honestly I don't get it . I usually feel that a pastor should actually "look the part" you get . But if people get saved through his messages , God be praised[/quote

That's exactly my point. Sometimes, GOD preparès His servant using his background that the servant may be equupped to reach unbelievers of similar backgrounds.
Re: When A Son Should Not Succeed A Father By Deji Yesufu by BJanta: 7:53pm On Sep 23, 2023
seuncyrus:

Honestly I don't get it . I usually feel that a pastor should actually "look the part" you get . But if people get saved through his messages , God be praised

That's exactly my point. Sometimes, GOD preparès His servant using his background that the servant may be equupped to reach unbelievers of similar backgrounds.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Christ Embassy Music Director In Court For Kidnapping Female Banker / TB Joshua: "The Prayers Of Americans Reversed My Prophesy On US Election"(Video) / I Do Not Believe in God

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.