Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,958 members, 7,817,815 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 08:15 PM

Protesting Lasu Students Barricade Lagos-badagry Expressway! - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Protesting Lasu Students Barricade Lagos-badagry Expressway! (9911 Views)

Ambode Orders The Repair Of Lagos-Badagry Expressway / Biafra: Court Provides Barricade For Witnesses Against Kanu [PHOTOS] / Lagos-badagry Expressway To Be Closed On Sunday (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Protesting Lasu Students Barricade Lagos-badagry Expressway! by Nobody: 7:52pm On Oct 22, 2011
Kilode?!:

Is it possible to support subsidy removal and oppose this fee hike?

I'll like to hear that argument.

Bros no argument there. Same naa ni
Re: Protesting Lasu Students Barricade Lagos-badagry Expressway! by luvola(m): 8:02pm On Oct 22, 2011
@ doo - let them improve d infrastructure,improve d failing standard of education 1st b 4 increasing d tuition fee. lasu wil b d most expensive public tertiary institution in d country if this hike is implemented. hw much is university of lagos,o.a.u and other federal univ paying ? the tuition fee of d above univ is not up to 10k,so therefore there is no justification for this increament.period
Re: Protesting Lasu Students Barricade Lagos-badagry Expressway! by luvola(m): 8:03pm On Oct 22, 2011
@ doo - let them improve d infrastructure,improve d failing standard of education 1st b 4 increasing d tuition fee. lasu wil b d most expensive public tertiary institution in d country if this hike is implemented. hw much is university of lagos,o.a.u and other federal univ paying ? the tuition fee of d above univ is not up to 10k,so therefore there is no justification for this increament.period
Re: Protesting Lasu Students Barricade Lagos-badagry Expressway! by luvola(m): 8:06pm On Oct 22, 2011
Re: Protesting Lasu Students Barricade Lagos-badagry Expressway! by Afam4eva(m): 8:12pm On Oct 22, 2011
Is LASU  now an ivy league institution? 700% increase is preposterous to say the least. What was going through Fashola's mind when he imposed such unrealistic tuition on Lasu students.
Re: Protesting Lasu Students Barricade Lagos-badagry Expressway! by TuSleem(m): 8:19pm On Oct 22, 2011
Dats bad, why re d students 'F' angry angry angry ing up////////////////////////// angry
Re: Protesting Lasu Students Barricade Lagos-badagry Expressway! by ektbear: 8:29pm On Oct 22, 2011
Two options.

Either you keep the current price and Lagos State subsidizes the rest. Which means more taxation, etc on the populace.

Or you increase it and shift the burden from those who don't directly benefit (the general Lagos taxpayer) to those who do (the students.)

For all we know, even this price increase still doesn't reflect the true costs of providing the education.

700% is too much in a year though, I think. But either way, good things don't come cheaply in life. Somebody will pay for it, one way or another.
Re: Protesting Lasu Students Barricade Lagos-badagry Expressway! by ektbear: 8:35pm On Oct 22, 2011
Another option is to eliminate the more expensive courses of study and only offer the ones that pay for themselves.

So perhaps engineering and the school of medicine should be shut down, if it turns out that they are the biggest financial burden.

Your call, Lagosians.

But if there is a gap between how much it costs to provide the education and how much is being charged (and it looks like this is the case), the difference has to come from somewhere.
Re: Protesting Lasu Students Barricade Lagos-badagry Expressway! by Nobody: 8:45pm On Oct 22, 2011
ekt_bear:

Two options.

Either you keep the current price and Lagos State subsidizes the rest. Which means more taxation, etc on the populace.

Or you increase it and shift the burden from those who don't directly benefit (the general Lagos taxpayer) to those who do (the students.)

For all we know, even this price increase [b]still doesn't reflect the true costs of providing the education.[/b]

700% is too much in a year though, I think. But either way, good things don't come cheaply in life. Somebody will pay for it, one way or another.

You need to take a walk around LASU. The new fees are well above par for the quality on offer. Poor man don suffer finish for naija  angry
Re: Protesting Lasu Students Barricade Lagos-badagry Expressway! by doofanc: 8:48pm On Oct 22, 2011
ekt_bear:

Another option is to eliminate the more expensive courses of study and only offer the ones that pay for themselves.

So perhaps engineering and the school of medicine should be shut down, if it turns out that they are the biggest financial burden.

Your call, Lagosians.

But if there is a gap between how much it costs to provide the education and how much is being charged (and it looks like this is the case), the difference has to come from somewhere.

the beneficiaries, simple. quality tertiary education doesn't come cheap
Re: Protesting Lasu Students Barricade Lagos-badagry Expressway! by ektbear: 8:49pm On Oct 22, 2011
If it were me running LASU, I'd make sure my books are publicly available and then make sure everyone knows how much each course is being subsidized.

That way at least people won't take the thing they are being given for less than it costs cheaply.

So before the increase students were paying under N50k per year to study medicine? In other words, not even $350/year?

There are medical schools in the US where you'll pay $40,000+ per year.

So I am wondering what sort of voodoo or magic they are using to train a medical student for only $350/year.

Wouldn't be surprised if the true cost were $2k+/year.

naijababe:

You need to take a walk around LASU. The new fees are well above par for the quality on offer. Poor man don suffer finish for naija  angry
If we see the books of the university or they publish the true cost per course, then we will know.

I highly, highly doubt that they are charging more than they spend a year. Even the new price probably represents a subsidy.
Re: Protesting Lasu Students Barricade Lagos-badagry Expressway! by wendoworld(m): 8:50pm On Oct 22, 2011
ekt_bear:

Your call, Lagosians.

^^^^^^^ bros can you come down to our level? Cuz all this ur Migidi figidi wey u dey yarn no clear to me,

@topic some people say "good things don't come easy", can u tell me the good thing in Lasu that is worth even 200k? Abeg make some of una dey think before typing jor. This increase no make sence at all
Re: Protesting Lasu Students Barricade Lagos-badagry Expressway! by ektbear: 8:51pm On Oct 22, 2011
If it isn't worth N200k, then you are saying people can find more value for their money elsewhere, abi?

If that is the case, then why is anyone complaining? The students can easily find a better place to spend their N200k, right?
Re: Protesting Lasu Students Barricade Lagos-badagry Expressway! by Nobody: 8:54pm On Oct 22, 2011
Nigerians seem to want the best of things in life for free or next to nothing. There can never be cheap quality education or cheap quality anything. You will always get what you pay for. You can opt for cheap public education but get rubbish standards. If you want better, go to private universities or go abroad. Either way, you will pay!
Re: Protesting Lasu Students Barricade Lagos-badagry Expressway! by wendoworld(m): 9:02pm On Oct 22, 2011
shocked
Re: Protesting Lasu Students Barricade Lagos-badagry Expressway! by ektbear: 9:03pm On Oct 22, 2011
OK.

Let's not even compare with the US.

Let us look at Ghana.

Kwame Nkrumah University of Science and Technology is supposed to be a pretty good school by African standards.

How much do the medical students pay per year?

http://knust.edu.gh/pages/sections.php?mid=21&sid=113&id=166

4000 Cedis. Plus another 600+ or so in miscellaneous fees. So let's just be generous and say 4500.

Looks to be about ~$2833, which is roughly N430k.

So I even wonder how LASU was able to charge only N50k for medical students when this university in Ghana was charging nearly 9X as much.

And then Nigerians will wonder why their universities are regarded as mushroom institutions of ill-repute. They wonder why Nigerian degrees are not valued for very much elsewhere in the world.

You get what you pay for!
Re: Protesting Lasu Students Barricade Lagos-badagry Expressway! by wendoworld(m): 9:06pm On Oct 22, 2011
ekt_bear:

If it were me running LASU, I'd make sure my books are publicly available and then make sure everyone knows how much each course is being subsidized.

That way at least people won't take the thing they are being given for less than it costs cheaply.

So before the increase students were paying under N50k per year to study medicine? In other words, not even $350/year?

So I am wondering what sort of voodoo or magic they are using to train a medical student for only $350/year.

If we see the books of the university or they publish the true cost per course, then we will know.

I highly, highly doubt that they are charging more than they spend a year. Even the new price probably represents a subsidy.
No wonder!!  lipsrsealed I see am even talking to the wrong person. Na one of those uk based people self. Mcheeew guy u no go understand abeAg #movingonabeg
Re: Protesting Lasu Students Barricade Lagos-badagry Expressway! by Kilode1: 9:09pm On Oct 22, 2011
naijababe:

Bros no argument there. Same naa ni

Auntie mi, Oooh you dey help them? I was hoping they can educate me ni.

Poorman dey suffer, middle-class go hear wen!

Increase fees by all means but no school loans? no serious facilities?  zero effort to curb corruption = Back to square one.

Remove fuel subsidy, but no curb on oil cartel and corruption = The same Naa ni.
Re: Protesting Lasu Students Barricade Lagos-badagry Expressway! by wendoworld(m): 9:21pm On Oct 22, 2011
Am not against anybody who wants to increase their fee. And am not saying that good things are not expensive. Buh on what bases are u increasing the fees on? is it the quality of education u are offering or the infrastructures? Or as some peeps are saying here(because the uk are paying 4k or ghana is paying 1million seedis) why haven't u guys compare the quality of education they(the other skools) are rendering to that of Lasu? undecided
Re: Protesting Lasu Students Barricade Lagos-badagry Expressway! by Nobody: 9:44pm On Oct 22, 2011
Institutions in Ogun state pay more dan dis, Cant c any diff btw a pdp led govt and Acn, just old wine in new bottle,bunch of useless baboons
Re: Protesting Lasu Students Barricade Lagos-badagry Expressway! by doctokwus: 10:09pm On Oct 22, 2011
Wanted to make an input but when u read what some people type,u wonder d reasoning ability of human beings,so I jst hold my words,shake my head,shake it again,& again,&walk out of the thread,while still shaking my head.
Re: Protesting Lasu Students Barricade Lagos-badagry Expressway! by nikky5(m): 10:21pm On Oct 22, 2011
My last school fees in LASU was N110.00. I kept the receipt till date.I want to believe that Tinubu is behind this hike in school fees.Fashola is humane but he has no choice than to dance to tune of the godfathers.He who pays the piper dictates the tune.
Re: Protesting Lasu Students Barricade Lagos-badagry Expressway! by Nobody: 10:24pm On Oct 22, 2011
ekt_bear:

Just so you know, this increase in fees will mean feck all to the overall quality and exactly how are public sector workers on minimum wage meant to send their wards to Uni when minimum wage is 18k/month  

Gbenga Daniel did the same in OOU under the pretext of charging true cost, i'll leave the result of that singular action to your imagination.

Kilode?!:

Auntie mi, Oooh you dey help them? I was hoping they can educate me ni.

Poorman dey suffer, middle-class go hear wen!

Increase fees by all means but no school loans? no serious facilities?  zero effort to curb corruption = Back to square one.

Remove fuel subsidy, but no curb on oil cartel and corruption = The same Naa ni.

Not a believer in reincarnation but if truly it's for real, I swear i'll kill myself if I'm reincarnated as a poor Nigerian  angry cry . Don't know why we are cursed with these ne'er do wells as leaders
Re: Protesting Lasu Students Barricade Lagos-badagry Expressway! by doofanc: 10:29pm On Oct 22, 2011
doctokwus:

Wanted to make an input but when u read what some people type,u wonder d reasoning ability of human beings,so I jst hold my words,shake my head,shake it again,& again,&walk out of the thread,while still shaking my head.

grin grin grin
Re: Protesting Lasu Students Barricade Lagos-badagry Expressway! by luvola(m): 10:37pm On Oct 22, 2011
some people wil just come online typing rubbish.lasu col of medicine is one of d best in d country,visit lasu faculty and see d quality of law stu produce yearly. @ ekt - hw much is unilag ,o.a.u paying as sch fees ? am waiting for yur response.d arguement is that on wht basis wil fashola charge this tuition fees ? wher is d 20b monthly i.g.r sinking to ? imagine mr tinubu trying to bribe d sug excos.i weep for nig.shame on d a.c.n
Re: Protesting Lasu Students Barricade Lagos-badagry Expressway! by ektbear: 10:41pm On Oct 22, 2011
naijababe:

Just so you know, this increase in fees will mean feck all to the overall quality and exactly how are public sector workers on minimum wage meant to send their wards to Uni when minimum wage is 18k/month  

Gbenga Daniel did the same in OOU under the pretext of charging true cost, i'll leave the result of that singular action to your imagination.

I disagree with doing 700% all at once. They should make tuition reflect the true cost over a 10 year period, not 1.

Otherwise the shock is too much.

I understand public sector workers not being able to afford it when minimum wage is 18k. But the question then is, shouldn't those who benefit directly from the school bear the burden, rather than tax payers in general?

A situation in which random poor Nigerians who will never have the opportunity to even take JAMB talk less of get admitted to LASU end up subsidizing those who DO seems very unfair to me.
Re: Protesting Lasu Students Barricade Lagos-badagry Expressway! by Otunbakay(m): 10:44pm On Oct 22, 2011
Now! Tell me, is 'Revolution' inevitable?
Re: Protesting Lasu Students Barricade Lagos-badagry Expressway! by Nobody: 10:46pm On Oct 22, 2011
ekt_bear:

I disagree with doing 700% all at once. They should make tuition reflect the true cost over a 10 year period, not 1.

Otherwise the shock is too much.

I understand public sector workers not being able to afford it when minimum wage is 18k. But the question then is, shouldn't those who benefit directly from the school bear the burden, rather than tax payers in general?

A situation in which random poor Nigerians who will never have the opportunity to even take JAMB talk less of get admitted to LASU end up subsidizing those who DO seems very unfair to me.

I agree with you on the bolded but the same government has refused to provide viable alternatives like student loans and to make matters worse the fees are payable once. Is it a crime to be poor?
Re: Protesting Lasu Students Barricade Lagos-badagry Expressway! by ektbear: 10:47pm On Oct 22, 2011
If the true cost of the education is X, and the students pay say 0.2X, then who pays the other 0.8X? Where is the money coming from?

Is the money not coming from illiterate mechanics who will never ever even have the chance to see a university? Most of whom never even finished secondary school?

Is the money not coming from the budget for roads, PRIMARY AND SECONDARY SCHOOLS, healthcare?

To me, I'd rather spend more money subsidizing primary and secondary school than university.

You all act as if those who attend LASU are even average Nigerians. They are above average in income, are they not? LASU is not filled with illiterates from impoverished homes, is it?
Re: Protesting Lasu Students Barricade Lagos-badagry Expressway! by ektbear: 10:49pm On Oct 22, 2011
naijababe:

I agree with you on the bolded but the same government has refused to provide viable alternatives like student loans and to make matters worse the fees are payable once. Is it a crime to be poor?

The banking system needs to be improved, I agree. Perhaps the Lagos State government should intervene, borrow money on the behalf of the students.

Though then the question becomes, how do you ensure that those who borrow will pay back and not run away?

Anyway, I do agree, loan facilities need to be better.
Re: Protesting Lasu Students Barricade Lagos-badagry Expressway! by Nobody: 10:53pm On Oct 22, 2011
ekt_bear:

If the true cost of the education is X, and the students pay say 0.2X, then who pays the other 0.8X? Where is the money coming from?

Is the money not coming from illiterate mechanics who will never ever even have the chance to see a university? Most of whom never even finished secondary school?

Is the money not coming from the budget for roads, PRIMARY AND SECONDARY SCHOOLS, healthcare?

To me, I'd rather spend more money subsidizing primary and secondary school than university.

You all act as if those who attend LASU are even average Nigerians. They are above average in income, are they not? LASU is not filled with illiterates from impoverished homes, is it?

Ehen!!! I'll bet my last pound that 75% of LASU students are from poor homes. The above average ones go to private Unis or abroad
Re: Protesting Lasu Students Barricade Lagos-badagry Expressway! by ektbear: 10:56pm On Oct 22, 2011
Poor relative to WHO?

Average Nigerians? Or poor relative to ajebutters?

Average GDP/capita in Nigeria is $1200. How many LASU students come from households below this in per capita income? I doubt even 10%.

Anyway, why is subsidizing university education more important than subsidizing primary and secondary schools?

Wh[b]y[/b] should illiterate mechanics be subsidizing LASU students?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

So You Think Ika Is Bini And Not Igbo? Checkout One To Ten In Ika / LASG To Hold Groundbreaking Of $100m Lagos Film City On Wednesday / Governor Ibori, Wife, In $360M Oil Deal in London

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.