Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,947 members, 7,817,783 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 07:31 PM

Protesting Lasu Students Barricade Lagos-badagry Expressway! - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Protesting Lasu Students Barricade Lagos-badagry Expressway! (9910 Views)

Ambode Orders The Repair Of Lagos-Badagry Expressway / Biafra: Court Provides Barricade For Witnesses Against Kanu [PHOTOS] / Lagos-badagry Expressway To Be Closed On Sunday (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Protesting Lasu Students Barricade Lagos-badagry Expressway! by ektbear: 10:57pm On Oct 22, 2011
Average student go abroad? grin

Have you seen how much universities abroad charge for tuition?

So a family that can afford to spend $10k+/year to send their kid abroad is average to you, by Nigerian standards? undecided

They are very wealthy, not average.
Re: Protesting Lasu Students Barricade Lagos-badagry Expressway! by luvola(m): 10:58pm On Oct 22, 2011
@ naija babe - pls ask him hw much they charge tuition fees @ unilag ,
Re: Protesting Lasu Students Barricade Lagos-badagry Expressway! by adros84(m): 10:58pm On Oct 22, 2011
Why are these students protesting? Most private secondary schools in Lagos State pay more than these fees.  Besides, anything good costs money and who says university education is a must? Besides, must they attend LASU?
Re: Protesting Lasu Students Barricade Lagos-badagry Expressway! by arsenefc: 11:00pm On Oct 22, 2011
ekt_bear:

[size=18pt]You all act as if those who attend LASU are even average Nigerians. They are above average in income[/size],

Ladies and gentlemen, Mr. Ekt Bear, NL poster of the year 2011

PS: Yes, they all make on average $47000 per annum, like the average household in the US.
Re: Protesting Lasu Students Barricade Lagos-badagry Expressway! by ektbear: 11:05pm On Oct 22, 2011
adros84:

Why are these students protesting? Most private secondary schools in Lagos State pay more than these fees.  Besides, anything good costs money and who says university education is a must? Besides, must they attend LASU?

I wonder o

I would be afraid to send my child to a primary school that charged only $350/year. I would be thinking to myself, what type of education can they be providing for him with so little money? Talk less of a university.

If LASU is too expensive, then perhaps attend a hinterland school like Ekiti State University.

I don't see why illiterate mechanics in Lagos should be subsidizing the education of LASU students.

If the fruit is tasty to you, then you should be ready to pay the price for it.
Re: Protesting Lasu Students Barricade Lagos-badagry Expressway! by Revolva(m): 11:13pm On Oct 22, 2011
Shame to Nigeria.A country that is supposed to trains its student from primary school to secondary FREE, then university level should be at a cheaper rate, i am so sory we are a BIGf ailure of this era
Re: Protesting Lasu Students Barricade Lagos-badagry Expressway! by arsenefc: 11:14pm On Oct 22, 2011

I don't see why illiterate mechanics in Lagos should be subsidizing the education of LASU students.

Because the LASU graduate is more likely to pay on time and at higher prices for services rendered by the mechanic to him, instead of haggling.

Also, the educated LASU student is less likely to break into the Mechanic shop, saving him money and lost productive work time

And since we all need a lawyer at one point or the other, the mechanic may one day need the help of the LASU student to help defend his rights, NO?

Anyway, the point is that the society benefits greatly from subsidizing the education of the smartest among us.
Re: Protesting Lasu Students Barricade Lagos-badagry Expressway! by adros84(m): 11:14pm On Oct 22, 2011
Very good private secondary schools in Ikorodu, Lagos State charge a minimum of N350000 per session for day students and between 600,000 and 900,000 Naira per session for boarding  students! And this is Ikorodu, not Ikeja, Surulere or Ikoyi. No wonder you get to interview most of these so called graduates and they cannot pass simple O'L tests.  LASU is what it is now bwcuase it is not adequately funded. Let students pay for the true cost of their education and the funds will be available to provide essential facilities for the staff and students.
Re: Protesting Lasu Students Barricade Lagos-badagry Expressway! by adros84(m): 11:19pm On Oct 22, 2011
arsenefc:

Because the LASU graduate is more likely to pay on time and at higher prices for services rendered by the mechanic to him, instead of haggling.

Also, the educated LASU student is less likely to break into the Mechanic shop, saving him money and lost productive work time

And since we all need a lawyer at one point or the other, the mechanic may one day need the help of the LASU student to help defend his rights, NO?

Anyway, the point is that the society benefits greatly from subsidizing the education of the smartest among us.

So LASU trained lawyers will render free service to the mechanic? No the society does not benefit from you because the society will stii pay for that same service. Do Medical doctors ever remember that they were trained with our tax money when they decide to go on strike over call allowances? I beg, let them pay now so when we have to pay for their services, we will have no reason to complain.
Re: Protesting Lasu Students Barricade Lagos-badagry Expressway! by arsenefc: 11:20pm On Oct 22, 2011
adros84:

Very good private secondary schools in Ikorodu, Lagos State charge a minimum of N350000 per session for day students and between 600,000 and 900,000 Naira per session for boarding  students! And this is Ikorodu, not Ikeja, Surulere or Ikoyi. No wonder you get to interview most of these so called graduates and they cannot pass simple O'L tests.  LASU is what it is now bwcuase it is not adequately funded.

I agree.

Let students pay for the true cost of their education and the funds will be available to provide essential facilities for the staff and students.

Like paying for the salary of their substandard professors from the N2 Billion/per month Tinubu gets from the State?

Like paying for the erections of modern buildings with the N7 Billion  Ikuforiji stole form them?

Like paying for their textbooks with the money Fashola squandered on planting 3 million Okra flowers to mitigate the effect of global warming?
Re: Protesting Lasu Students Barricade Lagos-badagry Expressway! by ektbear: 11:24pm On Oct 22, 2011
adros84:

Very good private secondary schools in Ikorodu, Lagos State charge a minimum of N350000 per session for day students and between 600,000 and 900,000 Naira per session for boarding  students! And this is Ikorodu, not Ikeja, Surulere or Ikoyi. No wonder you get to interview most of these so called graduates and they cannot pass simple O'L tests.  LASU is what it is now bwcuase it is not adequately funded. Let students pay for the true cost of their education and the funds will be available to provide essential facilities for the staff and students.

Lmao.

And they will wonder when foreign companies then fire Nigerians en masse and import Indians or Filipinos.

And they wonder why Convenant University and Bells University is kicking LASU's @ss in programming competitions.

In life, you get what you pay for.

Who wants to hire a graduate from a mushroom university? If you see the # of resumes my relative has to filter through before he can find one good worker, you'll feel bad for the man.

Can anyone blame these companies for having exams for graduates?

Who even wants a medical student who paid $350/year for his education to operate on them? I don't want such a doctor operating on me or anyone I love (a bit of hyperbole, but you get the idea.)
Re: Protesting Lasu Students Barricade Lagos-badagry Expressway! by ektbear: 11:27pm On Oct 22, 2011
Revolva:

Shame to Nigeria.A country that is supposed to trains its student from primary school to secondary FREE,  then university level should be at a cheaper rate, i am so sory we are a BIGf ailure of this era

I agree with free primary and secondary school, but don't agree with free or heavily subsidized university.

Merit scholarships? Yes. Give scholarship to say the top X% of JAMB takers per year. That way people also have an incentive to do better in secondary school.

But everyone else, I don't see why society should spend scarce resources sending them to university.
Re: Protesting Lasu Students Barricade Lagos-badagry Expressway! by arsenefc: 11:27pm On Oct 22, 2011
adros84:

So LASU trained lawyers will render free service to the mechanic?

So who do you think work in the office of the public defender? The likes of Femi Falana, Bamidele Aturu?

Do Medical doctors ever remember that they were trained with our tax money when they decide to go on strike over call allowances?

So they should not complain about their shyyty pay because they were trained with our "oil" money? Whose "oil" by the way?

Who suffers when the ER doc can make it on time to the hospital because he was kicked off the bus for incomplete transport fare?

Who suffers when the doc collapses in the middle of CPR because he could not afford to eat breakfast before going to work?
Re: Protesting Lasu Students Barricade Lagos-badagry Expressway! by luvola(m): 11:29pm On Oct 22, 2011
if pple lik ekt and adros justify d proposed increment of lasu fees then y is federal universities tuition fees below 10k (less than 100dollars) per year. are we not part of d tax payer subsidizing federal universities ? justify that
Re: Protesting Lasu Students Barricade Lagos-badagry Expressway! by arsenefc: 11:30pm On Oct 22, 2011
ekt_bear:

Who even wants a medical student who paid $350/year for his education to operate on them? I don't want such a doctor operating on me or anyone I love (a bit of hyperbole, but you get the idea.)

You mean you dont want someone like this as your doctor, should you need a neurosurgeon?

http://www.emoryhealthcare.org/neurosurgery/surgeons/nelson-oyesiku.html
Re: Protesting Lasu Students Barricade Lagos-badagry Expressway! by ektbear: 11:32pm On Oct 22, 2011
@luvola: FG can do what it likes. If it wants to make its universities free, then so be it.

But the Lagos government cannot do the same thing FG does.

Anyway, FG is getting free oil money. So that it what it is using.

Lagos otoh is getting money largely from taxpayers and IGR.

I don't see why the Lagos taxpayer has to spend heavily subsidizing university education, when there are many equally, if not more relevant things on the todo list as well (primary and secondary education, for one.)
Re: Protesting Lasu Students Barricade Lagos-badagry Expressway! by arsenefc: 11:36pm On Oct 22, 2011
ekt_bear:

Lagos otoh is getting money largely from taxpayers and IGR.

And who are the tax payers?

Ordinary people who can even pay their power/water bills or multinational oil companies with HQs in Lagos?
Re: Protesting Lasu Students Barricade Lagos-badagry Expressway! by Kilode1: 11:37pm On Oct 22, 2011
ekt_bear:

If the true cost of the education is X, and the students pay say 0.2X, then who pays the other 0.8X? Where is the money coming from?

Is the money not coming from illiterate mechanics who will never ever even have the chance to see a university? Most of whom never even finished secondary school?

Is the money not coming from the budget for roads, PRIMARY AND SECONDARY SCHOOLS, healthcare?

To me, I'd rather spend more money subsidizing primary and secondary school than university.

You all act as if those who attend LASU are even average Nigerians. They are above average in income, are they not? LASU is not filled with illiterates from impoverished homes, is it?

In 1960 maybe, but in 2011, it's pretty much average lower middle-class to poor Nigerians. These are the same people who carry the burden of the extremely poor the most, I know you undestand how extended family works here.

I like your NL persona but you make a lot of assumptions about Nigeria.

Corruption here is probably beyond what you can imagine until you live it. The problem is very layered.

For example: yes the very poor can go to university in Nigeria, I actually know many dirt poor people who did 4 years of university work without paying their tuition, No, it's not scholarship, they just avoided paying by forging, and evading. No repercussion.

Your argument about cost and quality is correct, but the reason why I'm skeptical is simply, corruption. This problem has got to be tackled, the people are not dumb, they see the was, lack of accountability and profligacy, they know how this increase will change nothing.
Re: Protesting Lasu Students Barricade Lagos-badagry Expressway! by arsenefc: 11:39pm On Oct 22, 2011
ekt_bear:

I don't see why the Lagos taxpayer has to spend heavily subsidizing university education,

Because the society as a whole inevitably benefit from a more college educated populace? Is that too hard to understand?
Re: Protesting Lasu Students Barricade Lagos-badagry Expressway! by ektbear: 11:42pm On Oct 22, 2011
Kilode, I am making the following assumptions:

1) Your average LASU student comes from a household with income higher than the Nigerian average (or median, if you like.) Thus, a subsidy on their education is a transfer to above-average income folks.
2) Subsidizing university education doesn't give the best b[b]a[/b]ng for the buck. Not the best way to spend limited resources.

Which of these two assumptions do you disagree with? Note that your counterexample of a few dudes you know who are below-average in income says nothing about (1) being true or false.

I understand your point about corruption (or at least, I think I do.)

But given (1) and (2) above, doesn't it follow that perhaps raising tuition at LASU to reflect what it actually costs is probably not the worst thing in the world?

Granted, I disagree with doing it all in one year rather than spacing it out over a decade. But is the basic idea not sound?
Re: Protesting Lasu Students Barricade Lagos-badagry Expressway! by paradise00(m): 11:43pm On Oct 22, 2011
The student should continue what they are doin for their own sake,until the fees are in the equilibrum stage, shocked lipsrsealed
Re: Protesting Lasu Students Barricade Lagos-badagry Expressway! by Kilode1: 11:44pm On Oct 22, 2011
^

Added an edit in the first paragraph to explain why the poor and lower working class are in shyyyte together
Re: Protesting Lasu Students Barricade Lagos-badagry Expressway! by arsenefc: 11:44pm On Oct 22, 2011
Kilode?!:

I like your NL persona but you make a lot of assumptions about Nigeria.

A lot.

Finally, maybe he would listen to you, instead of that modafucker communist, Fstranger. lol Sup Mr. Olojede?

For example: yes the very poor can go to university in Nigeria, I actually know many dirt poor people who did 4 years of university work without paying their tuition, No, it's not scholarship, they just avoided paying by forging, and evading. No repercussion.

And I also know  lotsa people who came from dirt poor background, mother selling 'Boli' and Father working as a cab driver, who managed to pay their tuition ( school fees) without taking any short cut.

It is always good to be fair and balanced when relating our personal experiences.
Re: Protesting Lasu Students Barricade Lagos-badagry Expressway! by ektbear: 11:46pm On Oct 22, 2011
And does no one see a connection between all the striking that causes people to finish 4 year courses over a decade?

If there were proper loan facilities available, imo there is no reason anyone should complain about paying full price.

After all, is it not better to finish in 4 years even if you must borrow to do so, then use your higher income after graduation to pay down the debt?

Better than paying "less" for tuition over the course of a decade for a 4 year course.

Time itself does have financial value.
Re: Protesting Lasu Students Barricade Lagos-badagry Expressway! by arsenefc: 11:48pm On Oct 22, 2011
ekt_bear:

[size=18pt]And does no one see a connection between all the striking that causes people to finish 4 year courses over a decade?[/size]

Again, I present to you all, NL poster of the year 2011.

Can you provide evidence for this?

4 year courses in ten year?

Never heard it before. May be Kilode did?

Even DK that attended OAU during one of OAU's longest academic period did not spend 12 years. NL intellectuals sha

PS: my bad, I think NB and Katsumoto finished in 12 years.
Re: Protesting Lasu Students Barricade Lagos-badagry Expressway! by ektbear: 11:50pm On Oct 22, 2011
Kilode?!:

In 1960 maybe, but in 2011, it's pretty much average lower middle-class to poor Nigerians. These are the same people who carry the burden of the extremely poor the most, I know you undestand how extended family works here.

So if you had to guesstimate, what percentile does your typical LASU student fall in? If the 99th percentile represents the top 1% of family incomes in Nigeria, where is your average LASU student?

(Keep in mind that the average wealth in Lagos is far higher than the rest of the country. So if you say an answer like 30th or 40th relative to Nigeria, you are saying something like the 20th percentile of Lagosians. I.e., LASU is made up of the poorest of the poor.)
Re: Protesting Lasu Students Barricade Lagos-badagry Expressway! by Kilode1: 11:50pm On Oct 22, 2011
arsenefc:

A lot.

Finally, maybe he would listen to you, instead of that modafucker communist, Fstranger. lol Sup Mr. Olojede?

In my dreams lol

And I also know  lotsa people who came from dirt poor background, mother selling 'Boli' and Father working as a cab driver, who managed to pay their tuition ( school fees) without taking any short cut.

It is always good to be fair and balance in how we relate our personal experiences.

You are right. I made that point to counter his argument that a lot  poor people don't go to university. Also to let him see how they can "attend and escape" in a system with little accountability and oversight measures.
Re: Protesting Lasu Students Barricade Lagos-badagry Expressway! by luvola(m): 11:56pm On Oct 22, 2011
@ kilode - help me tell them.my arguement here is that d state govt shud improved d infrastucture and offered qualitatitive education 1st b 4 justifying d increment in tuition fees. d big thief tinubu is behind this. a source reveal that money allocated to improve d infrastucture of d sch for d last 5 years was being used by tinubu and his cabals(d ousted former v.c) to finance d election dispute tribunal in d s-west.pdp is better off acn
Re: Protesting Lasu Students Barricade Lagos-badagry Expressway! by luvola(m): 11:57pm On Oct 22, 2011
@ kilode - help me tell them.my arguement here is that d state govt shud  improved d infrastucture and offered  qualitatitive education  1st b 4 justifying d  increment in tuition fees. d big thief tinubu is behind this. a source reveal that money allocated to improve d infrastucture of d sch for d last 5 years was being used by tinubu and his cabals(d ousted former v.c) to finance  d election dispute tribunal in d s-west.pdp is better off acn
Re: Protesting Lasu Students Barricade Lagos-badagry Expressway! by ektbear: 12:02am On Oct 23, 2011
This is pretty much the same thing as the oil subsidy stuff.

I could even see if it were an intelligently designed subsidy, where the top 10% of students admitted to each program get to pay reduced fees. Merit scholarships, I'm very much in favor of.

But a blanket subsidy for all?

So even the guy who barely gets into LASU is heavily subsidized by Lagos State? The guy who gets a perfect score on JAMB and chooses LASU as his first choice pays the same amount as the guy who gets the minimum required to get in?

You want to ask those illiterate mechanics to be subsidizing a not-so-bright guy who barely got into LASU? Who, truth be told probably shouldn't even be in college anyway, but should instead be learning a trade?

Just a very poor allocation of resources.

Oh well, that is the nature of life on this continent called Africa, I suppose  undecided

Poor public policy, poor decision making with predictably disastrous results.

Anyway, kudos to Ghana for getting it right (at least if this KNUST is any indication.)
Re: Protesting Lasu Students Barricade Lagos-badagry Expressway! by Kilode1: 12:09am On Oct 23, 2011
ekt_bear:

Kilode, I am making the following assumptions:

1) Your average LASU student comes from a household with income higher than the Nigerian average (or median, if you like.) Thus, a subsidy on their education is a transfer to above-average income folks.
2) Subsidizing university education doesn't give the best b[b]a[/b]ng for the buck. Not the best way to spend limited resources.

Which of these two assumptions do you disagree with? Note that your counterexample of a few dudes you know who are below-average in income says nothing about (1) being true or false.

I understand your point about corruption (or at least, I think I do.)

But given (1) and (2) above, doesn't it follow that perhaps raising tuition at LASU to reflect what it actually costs is probably not the worst thing in the world?

Granted, I disagree with doing it all in one year rather than spacing it out over a decade. But is the basic idea not sound?

In (1)Your first assumption is probably wrong. I don't have data I can only go by personal experience. I know many folks from poor working class homes attending Lasu. I've been to many State Unis in Nigeria and the demographics are very similar.

But remember that the working borderline okish in Nigeria already subsidize their relatives.

I agree with (2) I'll go further to say that university education is not for everyone, Young Nigerians flock to universities because without that paper, you are mostly useless, even to dispense petrol in Naija, they want you to have a B.Sc. Check naija job boards.

We've totally ignored trade and technical schools and we don't regulate artisans. The mechanic you use as an example can do whatever he likes and pay no taxes. 

I know somebody has go to flip the burger, we all can't go to university. But in a country where 6 years of secondary school education cannot qualify you to answer phones, what do you expect people to do?

Yes the poor flock to LASU too.
Re: Protesting Lasu Students Barricade Lagos-badagry Expressway! by Ilekokonit: 12:25am On Oct 23, 2011
@Dr Know
This is still affordable compared to UK tuition fees which will be raised to £9000 (N2,300,000) from next year. Currently it stands at about £3400 (873000) a year for UK nationals. This is even more for international students.

Why does Fashola feel he has to BLINDLY copy the UK that recently increased tuition fees ?

Has Lagos or (Nigeria as a whole) ever given its citizens the same Dividends of Democracy that UK citizens FREELY enjoy and take for granted ?

In the UK no matter how high schools set their school fees, the Government gives you a loan to pay your ENTIRE tuition fees PLUS an extra £6,000 per annum to maintain yourself (pay rent, feeding, transport etc).

You don't pay back any of the above loan until you finish your studies AND start earning at least a certain amount yearly.

AND even then there is an AFFORDABLE maximum that can be deducted from your salary as loan repayment.

If you don't get a job after graduating or if you lose your job then the loan repayments are suspended until you get another averagely paid job.

Some of us even benefitted from an earlier period when it was not even a loan but a grant that did not have to be repaid.

Has Fashola done 1% of this for Lagos based students ??

Fashola started his wickedness by destroying the shops/livelihoods of lowly shop/kiosk keepers.

Among his other greedy money grabbing ill-thought out policies was when he introduced unaffordable fees for business men to keep their sign boards up or remove them.

But because Lagosians did not protest his wickedness, he constantly comes up with more money grabbing but WICKED ideas that further PUNISH the common man and their children.

He is clearly playing a NUMBERS GAME that if he can grab as much as possible from the common man then because he now has a large treasury balance, he and Tinubu and ACN can loot some of the money and use a small fraction (which will look big to us commoners) to beautify Lagos without us complaining.

Is Megacity by force ?

He is clearly ADDICTED to increasing the Internally Generated Revenue (IGR) of Lagos state to epic proportions so that the portion of it that goes into ACN, Tinubu and Fashola's private pockets will keep going up.

At least Goodluck is too busy Looting at the Federal level to care about auditing the IGR of any state.

This is truly "The true face of Lagos".

For this 700% Tuition fee increase at LASU, Fashola is just a wicked man. Pure and simple.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Nigerian Refineries Roar Back To Life / PDP To ACN: The Barking Of 20 Dogs Can Never Scare An Elephant / Nigeria: Facts about the six (6) geopolitical zones explained (Photos).

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 95
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.