Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,265 members, 7,818,906 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 07:50 AM

Why Do Women Love Adjectives? - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Why Do Women Love Adjectives? (6923 Views)

Ten Things That Women Love In A Men But Never Says It Out. / What Kind Of Gist Do Women Want to Hear from a Guy / What Do Women Really Want From Men? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Do Women Love Adjectives? by Nobody: 5:03am On Oct 27, 2011
Just excerpts from my day:

We've all heard this from them a thousand times and they never seem to shut up about it.
Only a woman would talk about herself like so: "I'm an intelligent, smart, cute, beautiful, etc,etc, independent woman"

Aside from the rest being obvious attempts at reinforcing fragile egos, I guess my gripe is really about the bolded adjective . . . "smart".
Whenever I hear someone use that word to describe themselves, inside I'm like. . . really?
Real smart people aren't likely to run around saying they're "smart". All they'd do is just open their mouth and talk and instantly you know this is someone with a considerably high IQ. This observation of proof-based smartness is often lacking from the afore-mentioned adjective lovers.

Also a really smart person always has this awareness that there is always someone "smarter", so they just aren't keen on using that word to describe themselves.

Just a thought. What's yours?
Re: Why Do Women Love Adjectives? by arsenefc: 5:20am On Oct 27, 2011
What is an adjective?

Did you get that from the dating site you frequent?
Re: Why Do Women Love Adjectives? by Nobody: 5:21am On Oct 27, 2011
No be my fault say you no go school  undecided
Re: Why Do Women Love Adjectives? by arsenefc: 5:22am On Oct 27, 2011
Weird that the last woman that contacted me on Ashley Madison had the same descriptions you have in your post
Re: Why Do Women Love Adjectives? by Nobody: 5:23am On Oct 27, 2011
Well, then that simply reinforces my point doesn't it?
Re: Why Do Women Love Adjectives? by Jenifa1: 5:31am On Oct 27, 2011
I think it's the opposite. Men are more likely to do that.
Re: Why Do Women Love Adjectives? by arsenefc: 5:34am On Oct 27, 2011
Jenifa_:

How did you know that?

Are you on sugardaddy.com?
Re: Why Do Women Love Adjectives? by Nobody: 5:35am On Oct 27, 2011
Jenifa_:

Women do it more.

2buff is right on point. I saw this thread earlier, but I couldn't say anything cuz he is so right. LOL
Re: Why Do Women Love Adjectives? by Jenifa1: 5:42am On Oct 27, 2011
I need context here. is this for dating sites or what?
or in a professional setting?

what is the context of your assertion? @2buff.

if it is dating site then I might agree with you. basically obviously they are saying what the guy wants to hear. "i'm beautiful, intelligent" etc basically advertising themselves.
you will see stuff like that on the Sun page.

but in a professional setting, it is usually the opposite.
Re: Why Do Women Love Adjectives? by Nobody: 5:43am On Oct 27, 2011
LIFE in general.
Re: Why Do Women Love Adjectives? by Jenifa1: 5:44am On Oct 27, 2011
re-read my post.
Re: Why Do Women Love Adjectives? by Nobody: 5:46am On Oct 27, 2011
When I spawned this thread my mind was actually on "normal conversation".
The thought of dating sites came later.

I've been unfortunate enough to have had to listen to one-too-many of such "conversations".
Re: Why Do Women Love Adjectives? by Jenifa1: 5:52am On Oct 27, 2011
2buff:

When I spawned this thread my mind was actually on "normal conversation".
The thought of dating sites came later.

I've been unfortunate enough to have had to listen to one-too-many of such "conversations".

well, maybe these women are advertising themselves to you.
I don't experience that since I am a woman and women don't use adjectives to describe themselves to each other in a "normal conversation".
maybe to men. because that's what they feel the men want to hear.

but in professional settings, women lack confidence and are actually more likely to underplay their intelligence and ability. while men are more likely to overplay it. This has actually been studied by scientists. esp in resume writing and for job interviews. men are more likely to do it.
Re: Why Do Women Love Adjectives? by arsenefc: 6:00am On Oct 27, 2011
Jenifa_:

well, maybe these women are advertising themselves to you.
I don't experience that since I am a woman and women don't use adjectives to describe themselves to each other in a "normal conversation".
maybe to men. because that's what they feel the men want to hear.

but in professional settings, women lack confidence and are actually more likely to underplay their intelligence and ability. while men are more likely to overplay it. This has actually been studied by scientists. esp in resume writing and for job interviews. men are more likely to do it.

Can you provide evidence for that. 'Cos i have evidence that proves the opposite from Nature magazine.
Re: Why Do Women Love Adjectives? by Nobody: 6:36am On Oct 27, 2011
2buff, I have thought the same thing, about people in general, who seem to feel the need to brag about themselves.As soon as someone says they are great, smart (pick an adjective) the red flag goes up for me and it often means they are the opposite of what they claim.
Re: Why Do Women Love Adjectives? by slimyem: 7:02am On Oct 27, 2011
this isnt just a woman's thing.if you are think you are smart,then you are.if you think you are beautiful,then you are
it is left to whoever doubts your self- appraisal it to judge by his/her own standards which in any case shouldnt count to you.
adjectives are descriptive words.using them on oneself denotes a pretty healthy self-image.
Re: Why Do Women Love Adjectives? by Nobody: 7:04am On Oct 27, 2011
^^ one of them grin
Re: Why Do Women Love Adjectives? by Nobody: 7:32am On Oct 27, 2011
[size=14pt]In my opinion, Men brag, Women also brag. I've also seen alot of Men use those adjectives too! I just think it's a mentality based on a false sense of Ego & Importance, since i'm a subscriber to the saying that "Actions speak louder than words". . .[/size]
Re: Why Do Women Love Adjectives? by BABE3: 7:59am On Oct 27, 2011
Hm hm. 2buff has started with his "Beer-Parlour" Gists. hehehehe.  grin

See how he really backed his assertion up with grammar like it's something "serious". lol.

@ OP: I've always known you to be a mild-sexist. I'm not surprised by this. Whoossssshhh!  tongue
Re: Why Do Women Love Adjectives? by iice(f): 8:18am On Oct 27, 2011
Both genders do it.
Re: Why Do Women Love Adjectives? by Dyt(f): 8:24am On Oct 27, 2011
lyk dere s nottin so serious in dis
Re: Why Do Women Love Adjectives? by pendo89(f): 8:28am On Oct 27, 2011
because women are nouns and must be described in order to be understood.
Re: Why Do Women Love Adjectives? by Nobody: 8:55am On Oct 27, 2011
pendo89:

because women are nouns and must be described in order to be understood.
[size=14pt]Chei!!!! I don pour coffee for keyboard. . .[/size] grin grin grin grin
Re: Why Do Women Love Adjectives? by Wislet(f): 9:01am On Oct 27, 2011
@2buff, i completely agree. Percentage of ladies to men in that- 80, 20. Lol. I will continue to say it, when you speak, anyone can be able to determine what's upstairs. You dont have to stand on rooftops announcing it.
Re: Why Do Women Love Adjectives? by pendo89(f): 9:23am On Oct 27, 2011
sexkillz:

[size=14pt]Chei!!!! I don pour coffee for keyboard. . .[/size] grin grin grin grin

dont mess ur gadgets plz.
Who is a smart woman? is it intelligence, cute, beautiful,rich, independent woman?
"The one who lays a foundation with stones thrown at her is smart. She could be anything.
Re: Why Do Women Love Adjectives? by pyper: 10:39am On Oct 27, 2011
iice:

Both genders do it.

no its peculiar to women, grin grin grin tongue
Re: Why Do Women Love Adjectives? by iice(f): 10:45am On Oct 27, 2011
pyper:

no its peculiar to women, grin grin grin tongue

Well i've always said, NL has a lot of femimales.
Re: Why Do Women Love Adjectives? by MrsChima1(f): 2:50pm On Oct 27, 2011
iice:

Well i've always said, NL has a lot of femimales.

LMAO@Femimales grin grin grin grin grin grin

You know it! lipsrsealed
Re: Why Do Women Love Adjectives? by Nobody: 7:03pm On Oct 27, 2011
BABE!:

See how he really backed his assertion up with grammar like it's something "serious". lol.

@ OP: I've always known you to be a mild-sexist. I'm not surprised by this. Whoossssshhh!  tongue

Look, don't make me kiss you  angry

rokiatu:

Women do it more.

2buff is right on point. I saw this thread earlier, but I couldn't say anything cuz he is so right. LOL
Wislet:

@2buff, i completely agree. Percentage of ladies to men in that- 80, 20. Lol. I will continue to say it, when you speak, anyone can be able to determine what's upstairs. You dont have to stand on rooftops announcing it.

See Only the women who DON'T do this know what I'm saying  grin
The majority of the little dears who do don't even know when they do it and how much it wears on the soul of the other person listening.  tongue
Re: Why Do Women Love Adjectives? by arsenefc: 9:41pm On Oct 27, 2011
BABE!:

You look Asian in that 'boskoro.' Are you half-Asian?

Ching chung?
Re: Why Do Women Love Adjectives? by BABE3: 11:06pm On Oct 27, 2011
arsenefc:

Ching chung?

Chei! Me, Boskoro? May God forgive you.
Yes, I am. grin

2buff:

Look, don't make me kiss you  angry

undecided
Re: Why Do Women Love Adjectives? by seedord247(m): 11:17pm On Oct 27, 2011
arsenefc:

Ching chung?

grin grin grin grin grin grin

This coment make my day . . . I can't believe It. Once again Boskoro.

shey na bend down Select or Hang and Pick. smiley smiley

(1) (2) (Reply)

# / Help! The Women In My Compound Always Come To Show Me Their N*ked Bodies / My Boyfriend Cannot Fhork Pls Help

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.