Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,887 members, 7,814,005 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 12:20 AM

‘States Are Not Bankrupt, But We Have No Money!’ -Amaechi - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / ‘States Are Not Bankrupt, But We Have No Money!’ -Amaechi (4746 Views)

Screen And Confirm Me Or Return My Money - Amaechi / B-R-E-A-K-I-N-G News!!! Screen And Confirm Me Or Refund My Money.- Amaechi To AP / Wike Worships Money & Can Betray His Mother For Money - Amaechi (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: ‘States Are Not Bankrupt, But We Have No Money!’ -Amaechi by blackpanda: 5:31pm On Oct 30, 2011
If the governors want to change the revenue formula, than there is need to also amend the constitution to ensure and enforce prudence, transparency and fight against corruption.

My suggestions?

1. Make periodic publishing of government accounts compulsory
2. Remove governors/political office holder's immunity
3. Empower EFCC and ICPC both financially and politically. They should be more independent
4. Give more independence to state judiciary
5. State must implement revenue generating priojects, rather than sit and be waiting for federal govt allocation : in order words, govt must be more efficient, and start thinking ahead, Fashola leads the way in this regard
Re: ‘States Are Not Bankrupt, But We Have No Money!’ -Amaechi by Kobojunkie: 5:44pm On Oct 30, 2011
blackpanda:

If the governors want to change the revenue formula, than there is need to also amend the constitution to ensure and enforce prudence, transparency and fight against corruption.

My suggestions?

1. Make periodic publishing of government accounts compulsory
2. Remove governors/political office holder's immunity
3. Empower EFCC and ICPC both financially and politically. They should be more independent
4. Give more independence to state judiciary
5. State must implement revenue generating priojects, rather than sit and be waiting for federal govt allocation : in order words, govt must be more efficient, and start thinking ahead, Fashola leads the way in this regard

That is not necessary in other to achieve most of all you have on your list, at this time.
Re: ‘States Are Not Bankrupt, But We Have No Money!’ -Amaechi by hydroking23(m): 9:08am On Oct 31, 2011
The fact that revenue is shared altogether is a primitive and archaic method of revenue distribution. Federalism is not practised in Nigeria. If it was, the wealth a state generates would go directly to that state. For instance, Rivers state has oil and gas reserves, so to "Generate Wealth" oil and gas companies flood the state to extract the oil and gas, they pay the proceeds back to local governments where they are operating, the local governments pay taxes/royalties to their respective state, which also does the same to the federal government. That is my understanding of fiscal federalism and for all intensive purposes that process is not practiced in Nigeria.

Aside from the collection of taxes, levies, fines and services charges, what are some other wealth creating activities that the State governments can implement to avoid perpetual dependency on the Federal Government? If you are saying State governments should place emphasis on creating entrepreneurship, then Rivers State does that through an agency called RSSDA, along with other State sponsored programmes. Can't speak for other states since I'm in PH. The monorail is a great idea to generate revenue; people have to pay to ride don't they? It will improve transportation within the state and create jobs.

Nigeria's problem is that the federal government has too much control over everything and they are clearly unable to effect policy efficiently. Local governments and State governments should have control over the resources they have and the companies who profit from them. From there the ferdal government can provide oversight and ensure that their fair share is distributed back to them.
Re: ‘States Are Not Bankrupt, But We Have No Money!’ -Amaechi by Kobojunkie: 9:27am On Oct 31, 2011
hydroking23:

The fact that revenue is shared altogether is a primitive and archaic method of revenue distribution. Federalism is not practised in Nigeria

You really have not revealed anything new to us here. Revenue sharing has been with us for well over 2 decades. So, it makes no sense for a governor elected only yesterday to engage us in the yet more of the old whine-fests(we have become well acquainted with, and honestly tired of) of how his inability to produce is linked to revenue sharing and what nots. There are so many other avenues these new age governors can explore when it comes to revenue generation.
Re: ‘States Are Not Bankrupt, But We Have No Money!’ -Amaechi by blackpanda: 9:31am On Oct 31, 2011
hydroking23:

The fact that revenue is shared altogether is a primitive and archaic method of revenue distribution.  Federalism is not practised in Nigeria.  If it was, the wealth a state generates would go directly to that state.  For instance, Rivers state has oil and gas reserves, so to "Generate Wealth" oil and gas companies flood the state to extract the oil and gas, they pay the proceeds back to local governments where they are operating, the local governments pay taxes/royalties to their respective state, which also does the same to the federal government.  That is my understanding of fiscal federalism and for all intensive purposes that process is not practiced in Nigeria.  

Aside from the collection of taxes, levies, fines and services charges, what are some other wealth creating activities that the State governments can implement to avoid perpetual dependency on the Federal Government?  If you are saying State governments should place emphasis on creating entrepreneurship, then Rivers State does that through an agency called RSSDA, along with other State sponsored programmes.  Can't speak for other states since I'm in PH.  The monorail is a great idea to generate revenue; people have to pay to ride don't they?  It will improve transportation within the state and create jobs.

Nigeria's problem is that the federal government has too much control over everything and they are clearly unable to effect policy efficiently.  Local governments and State governments should have control over the resources they have and the companies who profit from them.  From there the ferdal government can provide oversight and ensure that their fair share is distributed back to them.  

Well, while this may be good suggestion theoritically, in practice it is not advisable for the fed govt govt to relinquish control to states, especially at this stage of our democracy. We have had governors in the past that have deployed the vast state resources to the celebration of birthdays, anniversaries, burial ceremonies etc instead of using such wealth for the betterment of the citizens. Therefore, the fed govt must be able to control the states effectively (at least for now), and one on the ways of doing so is thru economic/fiscal control. Governors already enjoy immense political power over the federal govt, to add economic power to them may just be a recipe for disaster. Nigeria needs an effective center that can hold and bind us together, otherwise there it would be better if we all went our separate ways.
Besides, u are only referring to ur own state, what about state's that dont produce oil? Are there no nigerians (or even riverians) living there too? Already, oil producing states enjoy more allocation above other states, and in my view i think this is fair. It is left for such states to now utilize the resources they have prudently and in an efficient sustainable way, rather than wasting their limited resources on political/ selfish agendas.

Yes i commend the monorail iniciative. But i am very sure there are other ways of securing more revenue. State govts should engage in activities that boost tourism (especially as rivers is along the coast, the govt can take a cue from dubai), agriculture (especially with regards to fishing), education (both formal and informal) as well as production of commercially viable products. To sit down and just be waiting for fed govt allocation is just plain stupidity. Rather, the state govts have to start investing in projects that will yield future gains.
Nigeria is one of the most culturally rich nations in the world! Yet the tourism industry there is ridiculously non-existent! There are economies in the world whose major source of income is basically tourism, It is high time we start thinking outside the box. Poverty and unemployment can not simply be wished away, it takes hardwork, dedication and determination!
Re: ‘States Are Not Bankrupt, But We Have No Money!’ -Amaechi by hydroking23(m): 12:59pm On Oct 31, 2011
Kobojunkie:

You really have not revealed anything new to us here. Revenue sharing has been with us for well over 2 decades. So, it makes no sense for a governor elected only yesterday to engage us in the yet more of the old whine-fests(we have become well acquainted with, and honestly tired of) of how his inability to produce is linked to revenue sharing and what nots. There are so many other avenues these new age governors can explore when it comes to revenue generation.

Please enlighten us on some of these avenues the governors can explore. We may be tired of the same ol whine-fests as you put it, but if the reasons behind the inefficiency are the same then its hard to expect much change, unless you plan on providing your suggestions for generating revenue cheesy

blackpanda:

Well, while this may be good suggestion theoritically, in practice it is not advisable for the fed govt govt to relinquish control to states, especially at this stage of our democracy. We have had governors in the past that have deployed the vast state resources to the celebration of birthdays, anniversaries, burial ceremonies etc instead of using such wealth for the betterment of the citizens. Therefore, the fed govt must be able to control the states effectively (at least for now), and one on the ways of doing so is thru economic/fiscal control. Governors already enjoy immense political power over the federal govt, to add economic power to them may just be a recipe for disaster. Nigeria needs an effective center that can hold and bind us together, otherwise there it would be better if we all went our separate ways.
Besides, u are only referring to your own state, what about state's that dont produce oil? Are there no nigerians (or even riverians) living there too? Already, oil producing states enjoy more allocation above other states, and in my view i think this is fair. It is left for such states to now utilize the resources they have prudently and in an efficient sustainable way, rather than wasting their limited resources on political/ selfish agendas.

Yes i commend the monorail iniciative. But i am very sure there are other ways of securing more revenue. State govts should engage in activities that boost tourism (especially as rivers is along the coast, the govt can take a cue from dubai), agriculture (especially with regards to fishing), education (both formal and informal) as well as production of commercially viable products. To sit down and just be waiting for fed govt allocation is just plain stupidity. Rather, the state govts have to start investing in projects that will yield future gains.
Nigeria is one of the most culturally rich nations in the world! Yet the tourism industry there is ridiculously non-existent! There are economies in the world whose major source of income is basically tourism, It is high time we start thinking outside the box. Poverty and unemployment can not simply be wished away, it takes hardwork, dedication and determination!

So in other words you believe the federal government is better equipped to manage the the finances generated by the states than the states themselves? Are those at the federal level more judicious and honorable than their counterparts at the state level? So why all the rot in federal institutions if they are less corruptable? The fact is that if we claim federalism, it must be practiced. Those at the top of the federal structure should not dictate how state funds should be spent, its backwards, inefficient and it facilitates more corruption i.e. NNPC, NDDC. There is a strectch of road leading from Eleme Junction all the way down to Bori (Ogoniland). The state of the road is beyond comprehension, but nothing can be done due to the fact that its a "federal road" so only "federal" intervention can mend the situation. I guess we should wait until the Feds are ready??

How can a state with tourism potentials fully realise the potentials of the area, if crime is rampant in the area, but the governor is subject to the IGP (in abuja) when it comes to tackling the safety and security within the state. If my governor is misusing state funds, its easier for us to reach the government house within our state than it is to aso rock in abuja to voice our complaints. As I said the federal government has means to intervene in such cases when states aren't properly performing, its an easier task for the Feds instead of leaving all the developmental agendas to the Feds themselves. Some states actually have capable hands that if given what they deserve, alot of these issues could be resolved.

Government starts at the Local level
Re: ‘States Are Not Bankrupt, But We Have No Money!’ -Amaechi by Kobojunkie: 2:52pm On Oct 31, 2011
hydroking23:

Please enlighten us on some of these avenues the governors can explore.  We may be tired of the same ol whine-fests as you put it, but if the reasons behind the inefficiency are the same then its hard to expect much change, unless you plan on providing your suggestions for generating revenue cheesy

Let us stop this need to be ready with excuses for the incompetence perpetrated against us by those we elected into power. Any person who feels that being a Governor in Nigeria implies relying 100% on the monthly allocations coming from the FG each month, has no place being such a leadership role. What should set leaders apart from the ordinary person on the street should include ability to come up with ways of improving on existing situation, not just ability to build and maintain what is.

To You @Poster, I would ask how States in non-resource filled countries make money. Go out there, apply your mind and gain insight on how this excuse you, and others continue to make for this problem remains unacceptable.
Re: ‘States Are Not Bankrupt, But We Have No Money!’ -Amaechi by fegflu: 9:49pm On Oct 31, 2011
Leav am- na 2 fly river state govt private jet he sabi. E go soon leav govt 2 face EFCC.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

President Jonathan Wants Attahiru Jega Sacked - Sahara Reporters / photo:- the list of the Past And Present Senate President of Nigeria and party / Aftermath Of Bhuari's Appointment, Amaechi Jets Out To London In Anger

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.