Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,891 members, 7,814,011 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 12:53 AM

‘States Are Not Bankrupt, But We Have No Money!’ -Amaechi - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / ‘States Are Not Bankrupt, But We Have No Money!’ -Amaechi (4747 Views)

Screen And Confirm Me Or Return My Money - Amaechi / B-R-E-A-K-I-N-G News!!! Screen And Confirm Me Or Refund My Money.- Amaechi To AP / Wike Worships Money & Can Betray His Mother For Money - Amaechi (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: ‘States Are Not Bankrupt, But We Have No Money!’ -Amaechi by Kobojunkie: 6:20pm On Oct 29, 2011
Rhino.5dm:

With constant light and good roads/transport system in place, Lagos would have to seat up to match Rivers. Those projects are what i refer to as concrete base.

Ok, so now the governor says the state has no money. How will the constant light, good roads and what nots pay for themselves?
Re: ‘States Are Not Bankrupt, But We Have No Money!’ -Amaechi by Rhino5dm: 6:21pm On Oct 29, 2011
If an unemployed man spent 10,000K in building a house that will give him a constant return as rents nko? This is my logic. Where has all "our cut and paste" take us to?

We need serious investment in infrastructure at the short run which will translate to wealth at long.

Mark you, the first phase of that project should come to live by first quarter of next year, hence more IGR for Rivers.

Kobojunkie:

Again you are going off the issue. We are speaking here of states not generating funds and you are going on about how power sharing, which has been in place for well over 30 years, is affecting em. Why do you continue to inject the irrelevant into this?

If an unemployed man spent his only $10,000 in building a house, what does the beauty and wonder of the structure to do with the fact that he now has no money at all, and no job or business to help bring money in?
Re: ‘States Are Not Bankrupt, But We Have No Money!’ -Amaechi by Rhino5dm: 6:24pm On Oct 29, 2011
The governor says there is no money beacuse he has heavily invest them on various laudable projects, which shall yield profit on the long run. Finito.

Kobojunkie:

Ok, so now the governor says the state has no money. How will the constant light, good roads and what nots pay for themselves?
Re: ‘States Are Not Bankrupt, But We Have No Money!’ -Amaechi by Kobojunkie: 6:26pm On Oct 29, 2011
Rhino.5dm:

If an unemployed man spent 10,000K in building a house that will give him a constant return as rents nko? This is my logic. Where has all "our cut and paste" take us to?

We need serious investment in infrastructure at the short run which will translate to wealth at long.
Mark you, the first phase of that project should come to live by first quarter of next year, hence more IGR for Rivers.
Sigh . . . . This unemployed man has been building for 4 years. If you beleive that  the house will give him constant returns in rent, why is he here telling you that there is NO MONEY, that he owes 34 billion and will need to borrow more money, after 4 years of building?

Rhino.5dm:

The governor says there is no money beacuse he has heavily invest them on various laudable projects, which shall yield profit on the long run. Finito.

OK! So on that long run, the constant light and good roads will need to maintain themselves right? undecided
Re: ‘States Are Not Bankrupt, But We Have No Money!’ -Amaechi by Rhino5dm: 6:32pm On Oct 29, 2011
I give up. My logic was flawed cool

Kobojunkie:

Sigh . . . . This unemployed man has been building for 4 years. If you beleive that the house will give him constant returns in rent, why is he here telling you that there is NO MONEY, that he owes 34 billion and will need to borrow more money, after 4 years of building?

OK! So on that long run, the constant light and good roads will need to maintain themselves right? undecided
Re: ‘States Are Not Bankrupt, But We Have No Money!’ -Amaechi by Kobojunkie: 6:46pm On Oct 29, 2011
Like I said, no one is against building of infrastructure. Many simply want things done differently this time, ensuring that at the end of the day, we do not find ourselves back to square one. Running a state is not simply about building infrastruture but also about maintaining state accounts and generating funds to maintain what is built. It makes no sense to focus entirely on one, ignoring the other. States are businesses and both are required for progress to occur.
Re: ‘States Are Not Bankrupt, But We Have No Money!’ -Amaechi by macjive01: 7:09pm On Oct 29, 2011
States in Nigeria will never to solvent enough to embark on any meaningful development till they lays off the massive civil servant in their states,

imagine Kano state spending 127% of revenue on salary alone, if true that model is simply not sustainable.

Another option is to increase cost of services in their state. Cost of swearing for an affidavit in IMO state is still officially 78 kobo though the magistrates office wud charge u 800 naira that's 799.22 naira into the magistrates pocket.

Kobo, I don't agree with ur point of not embarking on big projects, tinapa failed becos of market principle; calabar seaport isn't functional, their local market isn't big enough to utilise the coliseum, imagine the project was in Onitshaor Aba ? Good God that project will pay ursef in 2 minutes. Nnewi lost out to Lagos in motor parts business simply becos nnewi didn't invest in its infrastructure, even upto the market generating revenue, business got bigger, marketer go more frustrated, and what next? They left en mass. Nnewi lost out.
Re: ‘States Are Not Bankrupt, But We Have No Money!’ -Amaechi by Kobojunkie: 7:25pm On Oct 29, 2011
Please don't respond to posts you have a hard time comprehending -- ask questions first to be sure you understand what is being said. You would need to point me to the exact line in any of my posts where I state that embarking on large projects is a no-no! lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Re: ‘States Are Not Bankrupt, But We Have No Money!’ -Amaechi by jason123: 7:46pm On Oct 29, 2011
I am for the "growth before sustainability" rather than simple "sustainability".
America, UK and China will not be where they are today if they were simply looking for sustainability. It is in the best interest for Nigerian states to grow first, before using the money generated from the growth to sustain themselves.

Rossikk:

I can't believe some people here are dissing the monorail systems springing up. What the hell is wrong with providing modern, affordable transportation to the masses?

Very good question!
Re: ‘States Are Not Bankrupt, But We Have No Money!’ -Amaechi by macjive01: 7:47pm On Oct 29, 2011
Hahahaha . . . This girl get mouth die.
Re: ‘States Are Not Bankrupt, But We Have No Money!’ -Amaechi by macjive01: 7:48pm On Oct 29, 2011
States can't grow with paying 80% 90% of their revenue on salaries alone.
Re: ‘States Are Not Bankrupt, But We Have No Money!’ -Amaechi by otokx(m): 8:07pm On Oct 29, 2011
A certain newspaper report last week put 3 states as being economically viable of which Anambra was one of them, the other 2 were neither Lagos or Rivers State. 24 of the states were in complete failure.

Taking loans as a state to engage in projects is not bad but when you engage in white elephant projects then its a pity. The monorail has been on for 4 years and with the look of thing in the next 4 years nothing is going to happen. There are still many others all over Nigeria like that and its a pity as our politicians are taking us for fools.

For states to be economically viable, the expenditure has to be greatly reduced. No need flying a private jet instead use a commercial plane, cut down the number of aides, etc, etc, etc
Re: ‘States Are Not Bankrupt, But We Have No Money!’ -Amaechi by Dede1(m): 10:14pm On Oct 29, 2011
If there is no food to sustain life, there is no growth. I still wonder how growth shall evolve when there is no factor of sustainability. In USA, where people have their social order in right positions, every project starts and ends with “how is the project going to be supported?” I am talking about a country, not a geographical expression, which has every capability to manufacture all the parts including nuts and bolts needed for the project.
Re: ‘States Are Not Bankrupt, But We Have No Money!’ -Amaechi by Onlytruth(m): 10:26pm On Oct 29, 2011
hahaha! I can see that some Nigerians are really struggling with the simple sense behind the points we are making.
Nobody said that government should not embark on "big projects". What we are saying is that they should be planned to be sustainable. In fact it should be planned like a business. If you cannot clearly envision where the funds will come from apart from FG, then you may want to rethink it because Nigeria's oil will finish one day. In the US here, high speed rail has not been implemented at the same scale desired simply because most high speed rails are not self sustaining. They are subsidized. So, it is waiting for now, lol. I wonder why a poor Nigerian state is busy borrowing left right and center to implement monorail. I can confidently say that it won't pay for itself! No be naija?  undecided
Re: ‘States Are Not Bankrupt, But We Have No Money!’ -Amaechi by Onlytruth(m): 10:33pm On Oct 29, 2011
Posted by: macjive01

Nnewi lost out to Lagos in motor parts business simply becos nnewi didn't invest in its infrastructure, even upto the market generating revenue, business got bigger, marketer go more frustrated, and what next? They left en mass. Nnewi lost out.

Let's keep this thread honest, please. Nnewi was never going to become a Lagos style urban center. NEVER.
So, lets keep focus on the issues. Nnewi never wanted to become that big in spare parts marketing or business because there is not enough space for that. So, the spare parts market was always going to be located elsewhere. Even at that, Nnewi still dominates certain aspect of the auto industry; eg manufacturing or parts. Anyone involved in the business would tell you that some parts are only sourced in Nnewi. So, you are comparing apples and oranges. If you are talking about Onitsha or Aba or any bigger Eastern commercial town, you may have a point. Nnewi never lost anything.
Re: ‘States Are Not Bankrupt, But We Have No Money!’ -Amaechi by jason123: 10:39pm On Oct 29, 2011
Onlytruth:

hahaha! I can see that some Nigerians are really struggling with the simple sense behind the points we are making.
Nobody said that government should not embark in "big projects". What we are saying is that they should be planned to be sustainable. In fact it should be planned like a business. If you cannot clearly envision where the funds will come from apart from FG, then you may want to rethink it because Nigeria's oil will finish one day. In the US here, high speed rail has not been implemented at the same scale desired simply because most high speed rails are not self sustaining. They are subsidized. So, it is waiting for now, lol. I wonder why a poor Nigerian state is busy borrowing left right and center to implement monorail. I can confidently say that it won't pay for itself! No be naija? undecided

You have a valid point too but which is state is embarking on the monorail project and isn't rich??
Remember, Enugu and one other state (I think Anambra or Imo) are in it together as a joint project.
So, apart from Lagos, Rivers, Abuja and the above, which other states can't afford it?

Most of the so called "big" projects are done in cities of the "big" states. Therefore; I think these states can build and afford it especially with the private investors participating in it.
Re: ‘States Are Not Bankrupt, But We Have No Money!’ -Amaechi by Onlytruth(m): 10:46pm On Oct 29, 2011
Posted by: jason123

You have a valid point too but which is state is embarking on the monorail project and isn't rich??
Remember, Enugu and one other state (I think Anambra or Imo) are in it together as a joint project.
So, apart from Lagos, Rivers, Abuja and the above, which other states can't afford it?

Most of the so called "big" projects are done in cities of the "big" states. Therefore; I think these states can build and afford it especially with the private investors participating in it.

I think you missed the point completely. We are not talking about "big" or "small" states. We are talking about broke or economically prudent states. lol. undecided
Nigerians are easily thrown off balance by megalomania.
If Rivers is not broke we won't be having this conversation.
If Rivers has to borrow N250 billion, how will the state pay for it? And borrowing is always addictive.
Who will pay these HUGE debts?
Re: ‘States Are Not Bankrupt, But We Have No Money!’ -Amaechi by Onlytruth(m): 10:48pm On Oct 29, 2011
^^ Meanwhile the state should be lending money to other really poorer states like Ekiti. lol
Re: ‘States Are Not Bankrupt, But We Have No Money!’ -Amaechi by Onlytruth(m): 10:50pm On Oct 29, 2011
Supposing oil prices crashes to $30 per barrel, how will Rivers pay back almost $2billion or more?
Re: ‘States Are Not Bankrupt, But We Have No Money!’ -Amaechi by jason123: 10:59pm On Oct 29, 2011
Onlytruth:

I think you missed the point completely. We are not talking about "big" or "small" states. We are talking about broke or economically prudent states. lol. undecided
Nigerians are easily thrown off balance by megalomania. If Rivers is not broke we won't be having this conversation.
If Rivers has to borrow N250 billion, how will the state pay for it? And borrowing is always addictive.
Who will pay these HUGE debts?

It's a risk we can afford to take. Looking at a bigger picture, you'll acknowledge that not every state can be "big" yet "big" states have to borrow and grow so as to be continuously attractive to investors. USA is not "economically prudent", if they were, they will not be in trillions of dollars debt to China.
Better still, "small" states should not be allowed to borrow or the amount should be capped but "big" states should. I am simply against the idea of states like Rivers or Lagos thinking about sustainability first instead of growth then sustainability.

For your hypothetical question, I'll suggest the FG should pay. States like Rivers should be given a free hand, yes, even at the detriment of the smaller states and the country at large. After all, what is "Nigeria" without the top 10 states, in terms of PP?? Nothing!
If borrowing is addictive then these states better get addicted because they ARE Nigeria, IMO.
Re: ‘States Are Not Bankrupt, But We Have No Money!’ -Amaechi by Onlytruth(m): 11:04pm On Oct 29, 2011

For your hypothetical question, I'll suggest the FG should pay. States like Rivers should be given a free hand, yes, even at the detriment of the smaller states and the country at large. After all, what is "Nigeria" without the top 10 states, in terms of PP?? Nothing!
If borrowing is addictive then these states better get addicted because they ARE Nigeria, IMO.

Obviously, you are entitled to your opinion but I wonder what makes one state "big". If I wake up and decide to dream big and hope that the rest of the country would bail me out (through the FG as you suggest here), then, you would have 36 "big states"! lol. You are not making any sense my friend.
Re: ‘States Are Not Bankrupt, But We Have No Money!’ -Amaechi by jason123: 11:07pm On Oct 29, 2011
Onlytruth:

^^ Meanwhile the state should be lending money to other really poorer states like Ekiti. lol

Lending? In terms of investments, YES. In terms of other non-productive things, NO.  

Onlytruth:

Supposing oil prices crashes to $30 per barrel, how will Rivers pay back almost $2billion or more?
In that case, the FG should come in. My point is, there is no Nigeria without some certain states. We need these states to keep growing so as to average out the overall economic growth of Nigeria, after all, people from other states migrate to these states.
These states should be given a free hand (considerably) regardless of the price of crude. Doing this will force other "smaller" states to find way to meet up, thus, open a door way for a new economic "feed". As they say, necessity is the mother of invention.
Re: ‘States Are Not Bankrupt, But We Have No Money!’ -Amaechi by jason123: 11:13pm On Oct 29, 2011
Onlytruth:

Obviously, you are entitled to your opinion but I wonder what makes one state "big". If I wake up and decide to dream big and hope that the rest of the country would bail me out (through the FG as you suggest here), then, you would have 36 "big states"! lol. You are not making any sense my friend.

What makes a state big? Diversity in people and economy, and sustained investment; and may be,viable natural resources which may come in terms of Sea ports, Crude Oil, Gold et.al.

For example, a state like Taraba or Gombe, we all know, cannot be viable, no matter how you look at it.
Yet, we both know that states like Rivers, Anambra, Delta and Lagos will forever be viable. Why is this so? Because the ticked the criteria above.

In my opinion, these states will always need capital projects to promote Nigeria because they are "Nigeria".

I just hope I conveyed my message to you better.
Re: ‘States Are Not Bankrupt, But We Have No Money!’ -Amaechi by Onlytruth(m): 11:14pm On Oct 29, 2011

In that case, the FG should come in. My point is, there is no Nigeria without some certain states. We need these states to keep growing so as to average out the overall economic growth of Nigeria, after all, people from other states migrate to these states.
These states should be given a free hand (considerably) regardless of the price of crude. Doing this will force other "smaller" states to find way to meet up, thus, open a door way for a new economic "feed". As they say, necessity is the mother of invention.

So, what would you say if my state Anambra borrows $10 billion to develop Anambra state, and all other states does the same, we would end up with $360 billion national debt. Who would pay it? We couldn't even pay back $36 billion.  undecided
Do you think any state would agree that it is "small"? How do you measure this your "big" states?
Re: ‘States Are Not Bankrupt, But We Have No Money!’ -Amaechi by jason123: 11:20pm On Oct 29, 2011
Onlytruth:

So, what would you say if my state Anambra borrows $10 billion to develop Anambra state, and all other states does the same, we would end up with $360 billion national debt. Who would pay it? We couldn't even pay back $36 billion.  undecided
Do you think any state would agree that it is "small"? How do you measure this your "big" states?

jason123:

What makes a state big? Diversity in people and economy, and sustained investment; and may be,viable natural resources which may come in terms of Sea ports, Crude Oil, Gold et.al.

For example, a state like Taraba or Gombe, we all know, cannot be viable, no matter how you look at it.
Yet, we both know that states like Rivers, Anambra, Delta and Lagos will forever be viable. Why is this so? Because the ticked the criteria above.

In my opinion, these states will always need capital projects to promote Nigeria because they are "Nigeria".

I just hope I conveyed my message to you better.
Re: ‘States Are Not Bankrupt, But We Have No Money!’ -Amaechi by Onlytruth(m): 11:24pm On Oct 29, 2011
@jason123

I think your idea is tantamount to building a pyramid upside down. A state has to demonstrate self sustainability first before it can be allowed to borrow more.
Permit me to remain skeptical. My people say that " a person once stung by a bee, always flees at the sight of a mere housefly!". Nigeria was once HEAVILY INDEBTED, until God saved us through auntie Ngozi. We should flee at any suggestion of another debt burden.  cool I don talk me own o!
Re: ‘States Are Not Bankrupt, But We Have No Money!’ -Amaechi by Onlytruth(m): 11:26pm On Oct 29, 2011
This is the point I exit the thread again. I'll be back!
Signing off
Yours truly,

Onlytruth. cool cool cool
Re: ‘States Are Not Bankrupt, But We Have No Money!’ -Amaechi by jason123: 11:29pm On Oct 29, 2011
Onlytruth:

@jason123

I think your idea is tantamount to building a pyramid upside down. A state has to demonstrate self sustainability first before it can be allowed to borrow more.
Permit me to remain skeptical. My people say that " a person once stung by a bee, always flees at the sight of a mere housefly!". Nigeria was once HEAVILY INDEBTED, until God saved us through auntie Ngozi. We should flee at any suggestion of another debt burden.  cool I don talk me own o!

But aren't we in debt again, already??
Anyway, we can disagree to agree. cool
Re: ‘States Are Not Bankrupt, But We Have No Money!’ -Amaechi by Ekpekus(m): 1:26pm On Oct 30, 2011
Then where is the money? Coz am nt seeing what they're doing with the federal allocation + internally generated revenue! Roads r bad, unemployment and insecurity, even minimum wage na no go area. Health care delivery "dead" and now fuel subsidy removal. SO WHERE IS THE MONEY
Re: ‘States Are Not Bankrupt, But We Have No Money!’ -Amaechi by manny4life(m): 2:19pm On Oct 30, 2011
Having gone through some of the post on here, while I'm impressed at some people thoughts, I'm alarmed (though no surprised) at some people's reasoning.

There is no government that will be financially stable if it doesn't embark on capital infrastructures. Infrastructures encourages investment (business or companies), which in turn creates population and in-turn creates revenue for the govt. However, one has to be "prudent" when embarking on massive loan takeout and if you're going to take loans, use it for revenue generating activities ONLY. Monorail is important, however, it's NOT financial sensible to embark on such expensive projects. Why not start out small, yet efficient? Why massive project that is enough to bankrupt a state? Monorail do not pay back their expense until another 15years or more down the road; so for now it does not make any financial sense to embark on it.
Re: ‘States Are Not Bankrupt, But We Have No Money!’ -Amaechi by jason123: 2:35pm On Oct 30, 2011
manny4life:

Having gone through some of the post on here, while I'm impressed at some people thoughts, I'm alarmed (though no surprised) at some people's reasoning.

There is no government that will be financially stable if it doesn't embark on capital infrastructures. Infrastructures encourages investment (business or companies), which in turn creates population and in-turn creates revenue for the govt. However, one has to be "prudent" when embarking on massive loan takeout and if you're going to take loans, use it for revenue generating activities ONLY. Monorail is important, however, it's NOT financial sensible to embark on such expensive projects. Why not start out small, yet efficient? Why massive project that is enough to bankrupt a state? Monorail do not pay back their expense until another 15years or more down the road; so for now it does not make any financial sense to embark on it.

Reading your comment breathes life into this thread. We are basically saying the same thing. You cannot "sustain" and yet expect to grow. It is an impossibility in the world of economics. Instead grow then sustain--and obviously, being prudent is important, of course!
Re: ‘States Are Not Bankrupt, But We Have No Money!’ -Amaechi by Martmore: 4:13pm On Oct 30, 2011
For those of you clamouring for self sustainance of states, if the F.G would grant the various state government sole ownership of the mineral resources in their states, then you would know whether states like Akwaibom, Imo, ebonyi(limestone and other rocks), Kogi(limestone nd coal)etc would not be self sufficient.Then we would allow the F.G to generate their own income.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Can You Do This??? Was Dumbfounded On Seeing Him Doing It(pix) / Pdp’s Secret Deal For Saraki, Dogara, Tambuwal, Others / Official Lagos State Presidential Result

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.