Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,471 members, 7,830,370 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 08:29 PM

Advice To Young People Who Want To Wed - Romance (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Advice To Young People Who Want To Wed (30236 Views)

Age Is Just A Number - Reactions As 'Young' Couple Set To Wed In Benue (Photos) / Nigerians React To Young Couple's Pre-Wedding Photos / Nigerian Lady Set To Wed Her Polish Boyfriend: "God Sent This Man To My Life" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Advice To Young People Who Want To Wed by Sermwell(m): 5:29pm On Dec 02, 2023
Magnoliaa:
Well, since it's for people who want to "start their lives now," no problem.

Not for me by a long stretch.

And why is a marriage referred to as 'starting one's life?' All the years wey you don dey live, nko?
Starting a family life! Olodo grin
Re: Advice To Young People Who Want To Wed by Mom007(f): 5:55pm On Dec 02, 2023
ednut1:
have you seen the bride price list of some places in Nigeria You have to settle people in the villages many items. Court is the way to go. But there are alot of women who want the paparazzi wedding of which they will contribute nothing financially.

You want to marry a wife in court without marrying her first traditionally? Are you a thief? That is how you young people always incur curses on yourselves while thinking you are smart. I am all for jettisoning white weddings... its a waste of funds in my opinion but go and settle her family and village as tradition requires and stop playing with deep things. Even the bible says give cesear's due to cesear and God's dues to God.
Dear ladies, avoid baby mama fever and avoid any man who tries to marry you in court without going to settle your family! He is a thief and a thief's lot will befall him and you too, eventually! Let who has ears, hear.
Re: Advice To Young People Who Want To Wed by Mom007(f): 5:57pm On Dec 02, 2023
Samantha124:
It doesn't matter how I feel or think about it because they're not part of my culture and we need to learn to respect other people's cultures as long as they don't interfere with ours.

And besides, traditional wedding is a celebration which involves uniting two people who are in love.
Leave this guy and his fellow compatriots who will still come out and endorse this. Their type learn through experience, the meaning of the admonition to fear village people!

1 Like

Re: Advice To Young People Who Want To Wed by Magnoliaa(f): 6:04pm On Dec 02, 2023
Sermwell:
Starting a family life! Olodo grin

Do you feel better now? Is the load on your chest lightened?

1 Like

Re: Advice To Young People Who Want To Wed by Hohaiiiode(m): 6:05pm On Dec 02, 2023
SUFFERInSMILIIN:

I know three girls which got married about 5 years ago all three of them are in so much debt one of them is now in 4.5 million naira for the wedding. The other two are we about 3.2 million naira and do prostitution in Canada to pay back the money which they borrowed for the wedding. Both of them in Canada and now HIV positive
if you truly want a big wedding, you should really have the means. There is no crime in big or small. Make we just no tie am to tradition sha .

I hate when I ask someone why must you do something in a certain way and they reply… na so dem d do am. I have been to three weddings this year. One was just fewer than 20 people. Just family and friends , the other was mid seize in an old hacienda, Mexican style with a good number of family and larger number of friends .

The last was extravagant with hotels paid for guest with large budget on the wedding. Just pay your flight ticket and go. All in all. It was a choice and finance , and to think about it. No one was soliciting for funds in the name of commitee of friends or what ever Nigerians love to call it .

If you want to do wedding big or small is your responsibility. Your account should bleed and your energy drained. Don’t drag any other person to it. May own is just call me to enjoy and celebrate with you. Simple . Wether big or small or lavish . If you are my Friend or family , I will definitely be there.
Re: Advice To Young People Who Want To Wed by luminouz(m): 6:10pm On Dec 02, 2023
Magnoliaa:

Do you feel better now? Is the load on your chest lightened?
He schooled you!!! Pele, don't cry. Mongolia or is it Mongoose?🤣

Is that a Bible on ya dp? Weirdest stuff I have seen all week, a witch reading a Bible!
Re: Advice To Young People Who Want To Wed by Magnoliaa(f): 6:23pm On Dec 02, 2023
luminouz:
He schooled you!!! Pele, don't cry. Mongolia or is it Mongoose?🤣

Is that a Bible on ya dp? Weirdest stuff I have seen all week, a witch reading a Bible!

It is okay to not know everything. And I was genuinely thrown off by the phrasing in the OP. If they'd even said "start a life together," I might have caught on, but "starting life..." read weird to me.

Mind you, I ask these kind of simple, basic, seemingly silly questions everyday. It is how I keep my mind active. That notwithstanding, someone already took the liberty to kindly explain to me what it meant (don't know know if you saw), so I don't understand where your 'schooling' narration is coming from, and the reason behind your gloating,

There was nothing remotely "decimating" in that comment that even a 2-year-old could come up with.

When you 'school someone,' it carries a connotation of an elaborate explanation, completely 'flooring' someone that they have a little chance of recovering from.

If YOU had stayed in school longer and attentively, you would understand expressions and how to use them contextually.

Now call this a schooling from me, if you will.
Re: Advice To Young People Who Want To Wed by luminouz(m): 6:27pm On Dec 02, 2023
Magnoliaa:

It is okay to not know everything. And I was genuinely thrown off by the phrasing in the OP. If they'd even said "start a life together," I might have caught on, but "starting life..." read weird to me.

Mind you, I ask these kind of simple, basic, seemingly silly questions everyday. It is how I keep my mind active. That notwithstanding, someone already took the liberty to kindly explain to me what it meant (don't know know if you saw), so I don't understand where your 'schooling' narration is coming from, and the reason behind your gloating,

There was nothing remotely "decimating" in that comment that even a 2-year-old could come up with.

When you 'school someone,' it carries a connotation of an elaborate explanation, completely 'flooring' someone that they have a little chance of recovering from.

If YOU had stayed in school longer and attentively, you would understand expressions and how to use them contextually.

Now call this a schooling from me, if you will.
K
Re: Advice To Young People Who Want To Wed by luminouz(m): 6:28pm On Dec 02, 2023
Lol, as always, it works.

Such a baby.🤣🤣🤣
Re: Advice To Young People Who Want To Wed by Magnoliaa(f): 6:32pm On Dec 02, 2023
luminouz:
K

You're welcome.

I will be expecting you in my mentions again, as is your way, either attempting to banter or slight me. Or even throwing shade from the sideline.
Re: Advice To Young People Who Want To Wed by Magnoliaa(f): 6:34pm On Dec 02, 2023
luminouz:
Lol, as always, it works.

Such a baby.🤣🤣🤣

What worked?

You really act like a re***d sometimes, you know? undecided
Re: Advice To Young People Who Want To Wed by ednut1(m): 6:42pm On Dec 02, 2023
Mom007:

You want to marry a wife in court without marrying her first traditionally? Are you a thief? That is how you young people always incur curses on yourselves while thinking you are smart. I am all for jettisoning white weddings... its a waste of funds in my opinion but go and settle her family and village as tradition requires and stop playing with deep things. Even the bible says give cesear's due to cesear and God's dues to God.
Dear ladies, avoid baby mama fever and avoid any man who tries to marry you in court without going to settle your family! He is a thief and a thief's lot will befall him and you too, eventually! Let who has ears, hear.
you go wail tire. No evidence. Curse indeed, if curse dey work all the nepa and police staff for don die.

Off course you will inform the parents. Instead of allowing some hungry villagers rip you off with list containing goat, wrapper and ogogo. Go to court its 50k or less 🥳

1 Like

Re: Advice To Young People Who Want To Wed by FunnyDude(m): 7:11pm On Dec 02, 2023
C'mon do your wedding once and for all. You'll like the experience.

I did mine is 2021 spent around 4M.

God is Great! We are 2 years already
Re: Advice To Young People Who Want To Wed by ogbe88(m): 7:13pm On Dec 02, 2023
zombieHUNTER:

Loud weddings means long life together

Small weddings means divorce in 6months time

choose wisely
what a kid.
Re: Advice To Young People Who Want To Wed by kelmicheal: 7:30pm On Dec 02, 2023
In some cultures if a man wants to preserve his wife to himself alone then traditional wedding is the only option it's a way of keeping woman to his husband only it will be disastrous if the woman commit adultery.
Re: Advice To Young People Who Want To Wed by Kemadealadire(f): 7:42pm On Dec 02, 2023
Lovemeharder:
I also prefer a small marriage blessing or court wedding, cos after all the huge spending in doing one Big white wedding nobody will look you and your wife's face.
The last wedding I attended, I saw very few gifts that was presented to the couples and it was not encouraging at all.
People will come, eat and drink well, then go back to thier respective homes.
You don't want us to come, eat and drink well abi🙄
Re: Advice To Young People Who Want To Wed by Miyachi: 7:47pm On Dec 02, 2023
Mom007:

Settle her family. Na goat you dy buy? grin

What makes you think that the bride price will not be paid if you do a court wedding?

All these customs and traditions are man-made but we prefer to force unbearable burdens on people all in the name culture. Those that eloped with their brides, are they no longer living or has their union not been blessed with children?

I personally believe that all you need to do is to ask for my daughters hand in marriage, if she want's to marry you, I go ahead and give my blessings. You don't need to pay one dime. Life is that simple.

1 Like

Re: Advice To Young People Who Want To Wed by Edipet(m): 8:04pm On Dec 02, 2023
ednut1:
have you seen the bride price list of some places in Nigeria You have to settle people in the villages many items. Court is the way to go. But there are alot of women who want the paparazzi wedding of which they will contribute nothing financially.
You go still settle village and parents even if you are going for Court wedding
Re: Advice To Young People Who Want To Wed by zombieHUNTER: 8:04pm On Dec 02, 2023
ogbe88:
what a kid.

I know you want small wedding grin grin

See you.. see divorce o
Re: Advice To Young People Who Want To Wed by Dshocker(m): 8:23pm On Dec 02, 2023
ednut1:

I don't understand you

No wedding supercedes traditional marriage.
Re: Advice To Young People Who Want To Wed by sslcrypt: 8:41pm On Dec 02, 2023
Samantha124:
It doesn't matter how I feel or think about it because they're not part of my culture and we need to learn to respect other people's cultures as long as they don't interfere with ours.

And besides, traditional wedding is a celebration which involves uniting two people who are in love.

This south African girl shut up. You talking trash.
Re: Advice To Young People Who Want To Wed by iamdapsyj(m): 8:42pm On Dec 02, 2023
Samantha124:

So court wedding disunite two individuals in love 🤣😂... just dey play.
Re: Advice To Young People Who Want To Wed by iamdapsyj(m): 8:44pm On Dec 02, 2023
ItisWell22:
The crowd sef can be scary atimes. 😟

Do it small, and live your personal lives large. ✌️

Na una women mostly dey want the grand wedding!!! You will hear "it's once in a lifetime".....
Re: Advice To Young People Who Want To Wed by oladele5adesewa: 8:50pm On Dec 02, 2023
OookOook...
Re: Advice To Young People Who Want To Wed by ednut1(m): 9:10pm On Dec 02, 2023
Dshocker:

I don't understand you

No wedding supercedes traditional marriage.
i don hear you. I have friends who did only court and have japa with their wives. So their marriage is invalid?
Re: Advice To Young People Who Want To Wed by PotatoSalad(m): 9:21pm On Dec 02, 2023
My own is "no do pass yourself"
No be after your big wedding, you'll come to disturb us that's struggling to help you out with emergency funds
Re: Advice To Young People Who Want To Wed by pafun(m): 9:45pm On Dec 02, 2023
Chingyyy878:
Weddings are so expensive nowadays. To young people that want to start their lives, go to court and have a small dinner with your close friends and family. You can do the party if you’d like years later.

Thanks!

Wedding no be by force. If you like spend all your money to do wedding if you like use garri and groundnut. Na you sabi.

To all the people getting married and divorced I dedicate Take Your Time by Iska Tribe from Spotify. https://open.spotify.com/track/25TlMIRKoxOKpegEiDft2Z?si=97cb606a3eae4377
Re: Advice To Young People Who Want To Wed by Nobody: 10:10pm On Dec 02, 2023
Why not do a low-key traditional wedding?
achimendy:

I think we should learn to respect each other's culture, but I think his point is that for those that are not financially strong should simply go for a low-key court wedding, later when there's cash you can do your weddings.

Most traditional wedding in Nigeria are very expensive, you must be buoyant financially to do it.
Re: Advice To Young People Who Want To Wed by Nobody: 10:11pm On Dec 02, 2023
English please... undecided undecided undecided
newoffer:
Oh u chop people own from tata u come grow up come dey bring excuses. Anyhow u wan do am people go chop.
Re: Advice To Young People Who Want To Wed by Nobody: 10:12pm On Dec 02, 2023
It's up to you to negotiate.
udemzyudex:

Tell the traditional people to reduce the price naa.
Re: Advice To Young People Who Want To Wed by Karlifate: 11:00pm On Dec 02, 2023
SUFFERInSMILIIN:

I know three girls which got married about 5 years ago all three of them are in so much debt one of them is now in 4.5 million naira for the wedding. The other two are we about 3.2 million naira and do prostitution in Canada to pay back the money which they borrowed for the wedding. Both of them in Canada and now HIV positive

Dang! shocked
Re: Advice To Young People Who Want To Wed by dynigoche: 11:06pm On Dec 02, 2023
The problem is that before some in-laws allow you to wed in court with their daughter, you must do traditional wedding, and that is where the main expense is

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Why Short Men Have Fewer Lovers / Virginity Is The Best Wedding Gift Any Man Would Receive, Says Nigerian Man / Why Do Nice Guys Always Get Treated Badly?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.