Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,862 members, 7,810,291 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 05:50 AM

Is Port Harcout Not An Igboland? - Culture (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Is Port Harcout Not An Igboland? (22010 Views)

Pls I Need Advice On How To Go For My Marriage Introduction In Igboland / Daybreak In Udi: An Exposé Of British Colonization Schemes In Igboland / The True Extent Of Alaigbo (Igboland) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is Port Harcout Not An Igboland? by udezue(m): 1:21am On Sep 26, 2009
Na2day?
if u had the intelligence of even toddler u'll know he meant NATIVE IGBOS. Ofcourse there are IGBOS in China BUT THEY ARE NOT NATIVE LIKE IN BONNY OR UBANI. okpo.

1 Like

Re: Is Port Harcout Not An Igboland? by german007(m): 1:23am On Sep 26, 2009
@udezue

Bros Can you pls identify yourself ,also tender your evidence and status.

Thanks
Re: Is Port Harcout Not An Igboland? by ChinenyeN(m): 1:23am On Sep 26, 2009
Ubani is a common name where I'm from.
Re: Is Port Harcout Not An Igboland? by udezue(m): 9:24pm On Sep 26, 2009
German,
bros can u explain urself?
Re: Is Port Harcout Not An Igboland? by na2day2(m): 12:08am On Sep 27, 2009
ezeagu:

If you are out of your depth, or you don't properly understand a subject or a topic, the right thing to do is move along or to properly study that subject and make sure you come with facts. As far as my knowledge goes, there are no Igbo surnames like Nwazaria, (Son of Zaria) or simply Zaria, but there are Igbo surnames such as Ubani and Nwaubani. The native name for Bonny is Ubani or Ibani, which is an Igbo name (source). Is Zaria an Igbo name? Bleeding cow.

obviously u lack the facts u want me to have, talk to ppl who live in northern nigeria, just like they have china-towns in different cities in the USA, there are zones which have extremely high populace of the igbo folks that such places have been renamed to reflect it. so in zaria and other places in kaduna, kano etc, there are places that have names that reflect igbo settlement but the land originally belongs to the indigenes. ppl like u call every northern hausa, the fact hausas are the dominant people up north does not mean the land belongs to them originally. hope u have some common sense to do your research before u open your ignorant mouth and spew crap   angry angry angry

udezue:

Na2day?
if u had the intelligence of even toddler u'll know he meant NATIVE IGBOS. Ofcourse there are IGBOS in China BUT THEY ARE NOT NATIVE LIKE IN BONNY OR UBANI. okpo.

i see how far ur toddler brain works for u, what do u call native? ppl who migrated to a place or ppl who as far as history can tell are indigenous to the place. question for u, who are the native egyptians?
Re: Is Port Harcout Not An Igboland? by Abagworo(m): 12:27am On Sep 27, 2009
@na2day & co.please dump this ownership thing.if we talk about original inhabitants then all of us might not actually be nigerians.maybe our forefathers swallowed up some people that settled here prior to their arrival.
Re: Is Port Harcout Not An Igboland? by na2day2(m): 12:29am On Sep 27, 2009
Abagworo:

@na2day & co.please dump this ownership thing.if we talk about original inhabitants then all of us might not actually be nigerians.maybe our forefathers swallowed up some people that settled here prior to their arrival.

thats why i said as far as history can remember. wink wink the dinosaurs probably name PH something else grin grin
Re: Is Port Harcout Not An Igboland? by udezue(m): 1:31am On Sep 27, 2009
Only Riverine people argue about BS like this. Who owns Bonny, ubani, opobo, bla bla bla. Do u think u are the only ones with towns where 2 groups have intermarried and settled in? Who owns arochukwu? or who are natives of ARO? Do we Aro talk about such nonsense? NOPE. There are bigger fishes to catch jare.

Na2day?
If the thought of igbos living ubani makes u angry please go and chase em if you have the guts or shut up.

1 Like

Re: Is Port Harcout Not An Igboland? by na2day2(m): 1:57am On Sep 27, 2009
udezue:

Only Riverine people argue about BS like this. Who owns Bonny, ubani, opobo, bla bla bla. Do u think u are the only ones with towns where 2 groups have intermarried and settled in? Who owns arochukwu? or who are natives of ARO? Do we Aro talk about such nonsense? NOPE. There are bigger fishes to catch jare.

Na2day?
If the thought of igbos living ubani makes u angry please go and chase em if you have the guts or shut up.

once again ur stupidity knows no bound, the title of the thread is what i am responding to, igbo ppl can live in somalia i dont give a tut about it. anf for ur information, i have igbo relatives as my family is well mixed but that don't change facts.
Re: Is Port Harcout Not An Igboland? by udezue(m): 2:18am On Sep 27, 2009
IDIOT U can have an Igbo FUCKIN U sef and t won't change the fact that u are ignorant. If u had Igbo relatives then u should know a thing or two about Igbos and where they are found native. Don't gimme that bullshit. Ewu nkapi.

In 2009 u want to tell us igbos in bonny are settlers. They've been there since da mid 15th century. We are all settlers and came from somewhere.
Do we have native Igbos in Rivers state? yes or no

1 Like

Re: Is Port Harcout Not An Igboland? by na2day2(m): 4:04am On Sep 27, 2009
udezue:

IDIOT U can have an Igbo FUCKIN U sef and t won't change the fact that u are ignorant. If u had Igbo relatives then u should know a thing or two about Igbos and where they are found native. Don't gimme that bullshit. Ewu nkapi.

In 2009 u want to tell us igbos in bonny are settlers. They've been there since da mid 15th century. We are all settlers and came from somewhere.
Do we have native Igbos in Rivers state? yes or no

idiot as always, do u know the definition of settlers? education was surely wasted on ur sorry azz
Re: Is Port Harcout Not An Igboland? by Nobody: 5:37am On Sep 27, 2009
if ijaws and igbos can unite and give themselves only one name eg Ijogbo or Igbojaw/Igbojo there wouldnt be a need for the everlasting question of who owns Port Harcourt.

cany say I'm too convinced Bonny is derived from Ibani though not to say it's not possible. However, Bonny is also a very common Scottish or English word. Quite a coincidence, imo.

1 Like

Re: Is Port Harcout Not An Igboland? by udezue(m): 7:08am On Sep 27, 2009
Bonny is like PH. Non African names.

Igbos and Ijaw and the mixed don't need to twist their names to ijagbo or watever. Riverine ppl need to learn how to let go off bigotry especially when its towards each other and their neighbors. Let em go learn from Arochukwu and Abiriba people how to coexist and move on. From Rivers to Warri yeye ppl are still battling over who is settler and native and who owns land, whether ppl are Igbo or Ijaw. Seems like there's a campaign to wipe out any trace of Igbo. Well sorry u might as well kill urself out coz u might have a drop of Igbo in u including your relatives. SO SAD.

Arochukwu ppl who settled in Ajali, Okigbo, Izuogu, Ikwerre, etc are not being told by anyone that they are settlers even though they still maintain their Aro identity wherever they are. People in Arochukwu and Abiriba are not having any identity crisis. Arochukwu is a mix of Igbo, Ibibio and Akpa while Abiriba is a mix of Igbo and Efik ppl. Why don't we hear of any dispute from that side? Simply leaders in that area don't have time to cause division and trouble over oil. Na unconditional love.

Go learn from us how to not HATE ourselves. Na2day?
Re: Is Port Harcout Not An Igboland? by AndreUweh(m): 4:33pm On Sep 27, 2009
tpia.:

if ijaws and igbos can unite and give themselves only one name eg Ijogbo or Igbojaw/Igbojo there wouldnt be a need for the everlasting question of who owns Port Harcourt.

cany say I'm too convinced Bonny is derived from Ibani though not to say it's not possible. However, Bonny is also a very common Scottish or English word. Quite a coincidence, imo.
Good Idea but I suggest, Ijo, Igbo, Kalabari, Ibibio, Efik, Ekoi etc should be called NEW BIAFRA. Biafra is not an Igbo name but an all encompassing name of the offshore sea of Old Eastern Nigeria. Nevertherless, You are a very good friend of Ndigbo and Ijaws, Tpia.
Re: Is Port Harcout Not An Igboland? by ezeagu(m): 4:41pm On Sep 27, 2009
na2day?:

obviously u lack the facts u want me to have, talk to ppl who live in northern nigeria, just like they have china-towns in different cities in the USA, there are zones which have extremely high populace of the igbo folks that such places have been renamed to reflect it.

Name me a place in Zaria that has been renamed to reflect the Igbo populace, in fact name me a place in Lagos that has been renamed (officially) to reflect the Igbo populace, when you find that place, tell me if the size of the place can compare to the size of the entire Island of Ubani (or Bonny).

na2day?:

so in zaria and other places in kaduna, kano etc, there are places that have names that reflect igbo settlement but the land originally belongs to the indigenes.

You are not serious, I actually think your joking and your just giving an example of somebody trying to win an argument they have already lost.

na2day?:

ppl like u call every northern hausa, the fact hausas are the dominant people up north does not mean the land belongs to them originally.

I do not remember mentioning 'Hausa' in my thread so I don't know where you came with the conclusion that "ppl like u call every northern Hausa". Second of all it would be pretty hard for you to convince me that the Igbo that were right next door to Bonny and were so much more larger than the other inhabitants of the Island, could not own pieces of that land. If not then why does Bonny not have an Ijaw/Kalabari etc. name? How do you know that Bonny was not originally owned by the Igbo?

1 Like

Re: Is Port Harcout Not An Igboland? by Nobody: 10:32pm On Sep 27, 2009
Andre Uweh:

Good Idea but I suggest, Ijo, Igbo, Kalabari, Ibibio, Efik, Ekoi etc should be called NEW BIAFRA. Biafra is not an Igbo name but an all encompassing name of the offshore sea of Old Eastern Nigeria. Nevertherless, You are a very good friend of Ndigbo and Ijaws, Tpia.

thank you jare.

I know some loudmouth rascals will disagree with you.
Re: Is Port Harcout Not An Igboland? by amadiva1: 11:04am On Sep 28, 2009
why is it that igbos from the south east are always arguing about rivers state and portharcourt issues .?.do you have a hidden agenda ? why don't you folks allow okrika and ikwerre peeps and other rivers state indigenes to slug it out .i am not saying that you cant make contributions   but some of you speak like you are an authority on these issues .how come you never argue about owerri ,aba ,enugu ,abakaliki,but its always about phcity/rivers state issues .

1 Like

Re: Is Port Harcout Not An Igboland? by AndreUweh(m): 6:03pm On Sep 28, 2009
ama-diva
For the fact Ndigbo argue about Port Harcourt and Rivers State is because of our kits and kins over there. What ever thing that affects Ndigbo in Port Harcourt and Rivers state affects South East Ndigbo.
My wife is a Rivers Igbo, how about that?. Before you can say that we do not argue about South East towns and cities shows that you have not read Igbo threads in this forum. Go and read all the kwenu threads and you will know what I mean.

1 Like

Re: Is Port Harcout Not An Igboland? by na2day2(m): 7:15pm On Sep 28, 2009
ama-diva:

why is it that igbos from the south east are always arguing about rivers state and portharcourt issues .?.do you have a hidden agenda ? why don't you folks allow okrika and ikwerre peeps and other rivers state indigenes to slug it out .i am not saying that you cant make contributions   but some of you speak like you are an authority on these issues .how come you never argue about owerri ,aba ,enugu ,abakaliki,but its always about phcity/rivers state issues .

they are jobless plain and simple
Re: Is Port Harcout Not An Igboland? by udezue(m): 8:09pm On Sep 28, 2009
Ode, u talk like the atlantic ocean separates igbos from SE and Rivers. Is there any boundary like that? NO. We argue about any igbo area and u can't dictate. I have cousins from Bonny and other parts of Rivers. Suck on that. cool

1 Like

Re: Is Port Harcout Not An Igboland? by ijawgirl: 10:09pm On Sep 28, 2009
tpia.:

cany say[b] I'm too convinced Bonny is derived from Ibani though not to say it's not possible. However, Bonny is also a very common Scottish or English word. Quite a coincidence, imo.[/b]

Bonny, meaning a beautiful place or island was used to describe the Ibani homeland by the Portuguese on arrival, and subsequently became the name of the place. .

The original name for Bonny is Okoloma not Ubani or Ibani
Re: Is Port Harcout Not An Igboland? by ijawgirl: 10:10pm On Sep 28, 2009
ezeagu:
. Second of all it would be pretty hard for you to convince me that the Igbo that were right next door to Bonny and were so much more larger than the other inhabitants of the Island, could not own pieces of that land. If not then why does Bonny not have an Ijaw/Kalabari etc. name? How do you know that Bonny was not originally owned by the Igbo?

As far as my knowledge goes, there are no Igbo surnames like Nwazaria, (Son of Zaria) or simply Zaria, but there are Igbo surnames such as Ubani and Nwaubani. The native name for Bonny is Ubani or Ibani, which is an Igbo name (source). Is Zaria an Igbo name? Bleeding cow.

Ubani was used by Igbo traders when referring to  Bonny.
Igbo people always had some kind of name for places where they did trade with. .
Re: Is Port Harcout Not An Igboland? by Nobody: 10:58pm On Sep 28, 2009
ijaw_girl:

Bonny, meaning a beautiful place or island was used to describe the Ibani homeland by the Portuguese on arrival, and subsequently became the name of the place. .

quite possible seeing the Portuguese had a habit of renaming strategic islands they wanted to make their base.
Re: Is Port Harcout Not An Igboland? by na2day2(m): 7:17am On Sep 29, 2009
ijaw_girl:

Ubani was used by Igbo traders when referring to  Bonny.
Igbo people always had some kind of name for places where they did trade with. .

why are u wasting your breath on these guys, they choose to be ignorant, let them be my sister
Re: Is Port Harcout Not An Igboland? by amadiva1: 8:44am On Sep 29, 2009
to andre-uweh,
you have just buttressed my point. one million "rivers igbo wives "and one million "bonny cousins" still doesn't make you an indigene of rivers state
how about your wife and udezue's bonny cousins, if they are well versed in rivers state /portharcourt issues  come on the forum and discuss. its
strange when you argue with na 2day ,ijaw girl and ow11 about these issues . BTW give me a link to the threads on SE igbo  states.

udezue, will you  please quit the insults. you can  state your case without been insultive, and if you really want us to grant you rivers state citizenship then you need to respect us and we will review your application. grin grin grin
Re: Is Port Harcout Not An Igboland? by ezeagu(m): 2:37pm On Sep 29, 2009
na2day?:

why are u wasting your breath on these guys, they choose to be ignorant, let them be my sister

Why didn't you say that what she said before, as if you knew anything about Bonny. grin

ijaw_girl:

I know that this is possible, but I have a hard time accepting that Bonny has no connection with Igbo people even with Bonny as it name. We all know that Europeans have twisted the names of places and there many examples in the spelling of places such as Owerri, Ibusa, Agbor, Asaba, Onitsha, etc. Every land that has a name has some kind of a link with the people inhabiting it. There are Igbo towns such as Agbor or Agbon which bear Bini names (Agbon means land), and this is because there is/was heavy Bini influence in Agbor.

The fact that the inhabitants would completely remove it's original name for an Igbo name without any links is also kind of hard to believe. So that leads me to believe that there was/is a significant Igbo population, which leads me back to my original point: There are Igbo people as far as Bonny.

http://books.google.com/books?id=NSSJqMct_fAC&pg=PA251&dq=Okoloma+bonny+ubani&#v=onepage&q=Okoloma%20bonny%20ubani&f=false
Re: Is Port Harcout Not An Igboland? by AndreUweh(m): 7:30pm On Sep 29, 2009
@AMA-DIVA: There is this thread on this culture forum that goes like this: Re: Igbo kwenu: join us if you are proud to be Igbo Guy/lady. Check out for it and you will find out that ndigbo also argue about their own affairs. You may make a contribution a I am not surprised that a lot of Rivers state persons can write this thy great language-Igbo.
In my own case, I only involve my dear self only where you have Ndigbo. Hence, do not be amazed to see my contributions in Delta Igbo and Rivers Igbo deliberations. I do not involve my self in Kalabari, Ijoo and Urhobo affairs. I might stop arguing about Rivers state if Ndigbo in Rivers are given there own state for Example Obigbo state or Port Harcourt state. Godbless. state.
Re: Is Port Harcout Not An Igboland? by ijawgirl: 2:12am On Sep 30, 2009
ezeagu:

I know that this is possible, but I have a hard time accepting that Bonny has no connection with Igbo people even with Bonny as it name. We all know that Europeans have twisted the names of places and there many examples in the spelling of places such as Owerri, Ibusa, Agbor, Asaba, Onitsha, etc. Every land that has a name has some kind of a link with the people inhabiting it. There are Igbo towns such as Agbor or Agbon which bear Bini names (Agbon means land), and this is because there is/was heavy Bini influence in Agbor.
The fact that the inhabitants would completely remove it's original name for an Igbo name without any links is also kind of hard to believe. So that leads me to believe that there was/is a significant Igbo population, which leads me back to my original point: There are Igbo people as far as Bonny.

http://books.google.com/books?id=NSSJqMct_fAC&pg=PA251&dq=Okoloma+bonny+ubani&#v=onepage&q=Okoloma%20bonny%20ubani&f=false

Yes there was a huge igbo population in Bonny 
A significant number of bonny and Opobo people are of Igbo descent
We also have some igbo elements in our culture (food,language, etc). The average Ibani man is proud of his igbo roots—
We have mixed with  igbos and even continue to intermarry[b]
But what you have to understand the igbos that came to bonny had to become Ibani. They became acculturated into Bonny society. [/b]

Ubani is just the Igbo name for Bonny. Some Igbo people  still use "Ubani" when referring to Bonny till today

Awayz, no biggie-we are all one
Re: Is Port Harcout Not An Igboland? by na2day2(m): 8:40am On Sep 30, 2009
ama-diva:

to andre-uweh,
you have just buttressed my point. one million "rivers igbo wives "and one million "bonny cousins" still doesn't make you an indigene of rivers state
how about your wife and udezue's bonny cousins, if they are well versed in rivers state /portharcourt issues  come on the forum and discuss. its
strange when you argue with na 2day ,ijaw girl and ow11 about these issues . BTW give me a link to the threads on SE igbo  states.

udezue, will you  please quit the insults. you can  state your case without been insultive, and if you really want us to grant you rivers state citizenship then you need to respect us and we will review your application. grin grin grin

abi ooo! me wey get igbo relatives, u don't see me laying a blind claim to igbo lands

ezeagu:

Why didn't you say that what she said before, as if you knew anything about Bonny. grin

the 1st thing i told u was to do a research b4 u speak, apparently comprehension and simple logic is too complicated for u so i gave up
Re: Is Port Harcout Not An Igboland? by ezeagu(m): 3:49pm On Sep 30, 2009
ijaw_girl:

Yes there was a huge igbo population in Bonny 
A significant number of bonny and Opobo people are of Igbo descent
We also have some igbo elements in our culture (food,language, etc). The average Ibani man is proud of his igbo roots—
We have mixed with  igbos and even continue to intermarry[b]
But what you have to understand the igbos that came to bonny had to become Ibani. They became acculturated into Bonny society. [/b]

Ubani is just the Igbo name for Bonny. Some Igbo people  still use "Ubani" when referring to Bonny till today

Awayz, no biggie-we are all one

Okay, now we are in agreement. You know one of the reasons why it is almost impossible to carve out a boundary between Kalabri, Igbo, Ibibio, Ijaw, etc. is because were all mixed in together, so yes we are one. I guess some people on this thread assumed that when I said there were/is Igbo people as far as Bonny they thought I was saying Bonny solely belongs to Igbo people.

na2day?:

the 1st thing i told u was to do a research b4 u speak, apparently comprehension and simple logic is too complicated for u so i gave up

If you laid proper information out like Ijaw_girl did there wouldn't have been any need for the circular arguments. When you want to prove a point or if you want to educate somebody about something you have to do more than write "do a research". Which shows me that you probably don't know much about what your talking about and "giving up" was what you had to do.

1 Like

Re: Is Port Harcout Not An Igboland? by ChinenyeN(m): 4:21pm On Sep 30, 2009
Another question, were there any non-enslaved Igbo who settled in Bonny?
Re: Is Port Harcout Not An Igboland? by na2day2(m): 7:50am On Oct 01, 2009
ezeagu:

If you laid proper information out like Ijaw_girl did there wouldn't have been any need for the circular arguments. When you want to prove a point or if you want to educate somebody about something you have to do more than write "do a research". Which shows me that you probably don't know much about what your talking about and "giving up" was what you had to do.

the time u spent writing crap here u could have used to educate urself, abi na nite sch u go? from your previous post, it clearly tells me i will be wasting my time educating your azz

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Our Village Masqurade Festival(odo Festival) In Ngwo Uno (pics) / Pictures From Ofala Festival In Anambra State / 6 Nigerian Cultural Myths That Are Unfavourable To Women

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.