Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,788 members, 7,820,761 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 09:05 PM

The Ridicule Of Muslim Apologetics - Religion (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The Ridicule Of Muslim Apologetics (5953 Views)

Pope Francis Kisses And Washes Feet Of Muslim, 4 Nigerian Catholics / Faith Vs Evidence. Apologetics vs atheism / Ridicule Of Islam Has To Stop (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Ridicule Of Muslim Apologetics by LagosShia: 11:56am On Dec 27, 2011
goggs:

Yes the Lord hates all these and he says it as it is (note that your quotations are mainly from the old testament). This is the view of where we are coming from, adolatry, killings and the like,  In the new testament it was declared that God has offered a way out for mankind through Christ (2 Corin 5:17).

i'm not interested in the reason why.i have being able to show you that even in your bible there is hate and your God also hates.

I would advise that you read the whole verse and context within which these quotations were made and you will see that the admonishment is case specific. Never did Jesus tell Christians, kill so and so; strike their necks until Christianity was established etc. He says to love unconditionally, Love your enemies, Pray for those who persecute you (Mathew 5:44) What depth of humility is this! Even when the bombs struck on Christmas day (25-12-2011) - A DAY THAT WILL LIVE IN INFAMY, the parish priest was admonishing his congregation to pray for peace! That is classical Jesus message (peace and goodwill to all men). if it wasn't the message all these years there probably will be no Nigeria today. But humility and long suffering is a hallmark of Christianity, unfortunately many people are getting fed up. Being a Christian is never easy. Ask Iranian, Saudi, Pakistani, Iraqi and Egyptian Christians

Islam too does not ask us to strike anyone's neck for it to be established.

The noted British historian De Lacy O'Leary wrote:
"History makes it clear however, that the legend of fanatical Muslims sweeping through the world and forcing Islam at the point of the sword upon conquered races is one of the most fantastically absurd myths that historians have ever repeated."

The famous British historian, Thomas Carlyle, in his book Heroes and Hero worship, refers to this misconception about the spread of Islam: "The sword indeed, but where will you get your sword? Every new opinion, at its starting is precisely in a minority of one; in one man's head alone. There it dwells as yet. One man alone of the whole world believes it, there is one man against all men. That he takes a sword and tries to propagate with that will do little for him. You must get your sword! On the whole, a thing will propagate itself as it can."

as for Jesus,here is what he said:

Luke 19:27
But those enemies of mine who did not want me to be king over them--bring them here and kill them in front of me.' "
Re: The Ridicule Of Muslim Apologetics by Judek2(m): 9:05am On Dec 28, 2011
LagosShia:

how do you define "salvation message"?

If you dont know what salvation message is,or want to know since there is NO SALVATION IN ISLAM,
Go and read about Jesus Christ,and mainly the new tastaments. Read without a rebelious mind.

this is how hate looks like from the Bible:

Psalm 5:4-6
"You are not a God who takes pleasure in evil; with you the wicked cannot dwell.The arrogant cannot stand in your presence;you hate all who do wrong.You destroy those who tell lies;bloodthirsty and deceitful men the LORD abhors".

Psalm 11:5
"The LORD examines the righteous,but the wicked and those who love violence his soul hates".

Leviticus 20:23
"You must not live according to the customs of the nations I am going to drive out before you. Because they did all these things, I abhorred them".

Leviticus 26:30
"I will destroy your high places, cut down your incense altars and pile your dead bodies on the lifeless forms of your idols, and I will abhor you.

Romans 9:13
"Just as it is written: "Jacob I loved, but Esau I hated."

Proverb 6:16-19
"These six things doth the Lord hate: yea, seven are an abomination unto him: A proud look, a lying tongue, and hands that shed innocent blood, An heart that deviseth wicked imaginations, feet that be swift in running to mischief, A false witness that speaketh lies, and he that soweth discord among brethren."

Malachi 1:2-3,

2 "I have loved you," says the LORD.
      "But you ask, 'How have you loved us?'
      "Was not Esau Jacob's brother?" the LORD says. "Yet I have loved Jacob, 3 but Esau I have hated, and I have turned his mountains into a  wasteland and left his inheritance to the desert jackals."

The OT is for the people of old,the NT is for the people of the New world.
Old things has passed away,all things are made new. Old laws has passed away,all things are made new by Jesus Christ.
Just as a wise man would say the past lays foundation and a pillar of support for the present.

Why are you so stagnant?
Re: The Ridicule Of Muslim Apologetics by goggs(m): 11:57am On Dec 28, 2011
LagosShia:

[b]i'm not interested in the reason why.i have being able to show you that even in your bible there is hate and your God also hates.

God hates yes. But what does he hate? Read the Chapter in anywhere that hate is mentioned; be it sin, actions or what?

Why shouldnt you be interested in why? You are funny! ''WHY?" is a very important factor. This is why we keep asking ourselves WHY? Its fundamental in Christianity: WHY did God choose to save us not to destroy? WHY are we offered salvation ? WHY? WHY? WHY?

Christianity agrees to questions, unlike Islam that "WHY?" is a taboo! No questions! If you dont ask WHY, how can you learn? "Why" is why science advanced, Why Christianity is not forced on you, You ask WHY and follow your conscience. OK?

Islam too does not ask us to strike anyone's neck for it to be established

CHAI, OK LagoShia, I now know you don't read or research the Quran well enough. Let me help you AGAIN (for the last time!):

(i)When you meet the unbelievers, smite their necks, then when you have made wide slaughter among them, tie fast the bonds, then set them free, either by grace or ransom, until the war lays down its burdens. - 47:4

(different translation) When you meet the unbelievers in the battlefield, strike off their heads, and when you have laid them low, bind your captives firmly.

(ii) Slay them wherever ye find them and drive them out of the places whence they drove you out, for[b] persecution is worse than slaughter[/b]. - 2:191 (Yet Christians are persecuted in Saudi, Pakistan and other Islamic countries, What Irony)

(iii) Fight against them until idolatry is no more and Allah's religion reigns supreme. ( - Sura 2:193 and 8:39

(iv) Fighting is obligatory for you, much as you dislike it. - 2:216
(different translation: ) Prescribed for you is fighting, though it is hateful to you. (No option for the squirmy)

(iv)But if they turn renegades, seize them and slay them wherever you find them. - 4:89

(v) It is not for any Prophet to have captives until he has made slaughter in the land. - 8:67

(vi)When the sacred months are over, slay the idolaters wherever you find them. Arrest them, besiege them, and lie in ambush everywhere for them. - 9:5

(vii) Allah has cursed the unbelievers and proposed for them a blazing hell. - 33:60[b] (Contrast with Christ teachings. God loves unbelievers and he don't want them to perish but to have salvation)[/b]

(viii) Unbelievers are enemies of Allah and they will roast in hell. - 41:14 (Contrast with Christ teachings. God loves unbelievers and he don't want them to perish but to have salvation)

(ix) Make war on the unbelievers and the hypocrites and deal sternly with them. Hell shall be their home, evil their fate. - 66:9 (Contrast with Christ teachings asking his disciples to go to the world preaching with nothing but their staff  and clothing, preaching salvation)

(x) The unbelievers among the People of the Book and the pagans shall burn forever in the fire of hell. They are the vilest of all creatures. - 98:51 (How could God's most superior creatures- humans- be the vilest? Ah I don't understand. Please LagoShia explain)

The noted British historian De Lacy O'Leary wrote:
"History makes it clear however, that the legend of fanatical Muslims sweeping through the world and forcing Islam at the point of the sword upon conquered races is one of the most fantastically absurd myths that historians have ever repeated."

The famous British historian, Thomas Carlyle, in his book Heroes and Hero worship, refers to this misconception about the spread of Islam: "The sword indeed, but where will you get your sword? Every new opinion, at its starting is precisely in a minority of one; in one man's head alone. There it dwells as yet. One man alone of the whole world believes it, there is one man against all men. That he takes a sword and tries to propagate with that will do little for him. You must get your sword! On the whole, a thing will propagate itself as it can."

I will not quote people here because it will be based on their prejudiced views. I have thousands, from Mark Gabriel, to Dr. Marwan to so many historians, archaeologist and thinkers who view Islam negatively. But that would hurt you further (for e.g. i start quoting Salman Rushdie or other people who have irrational hate of Islam), that will not be an even debate. My goal is not a hate debate but a rational sane one devoid of calling people cockroaches and the like (as you have) Lets stick to the Bible and the Koran which are the basis for these two faiths.

Luke 19:27
But those enemies of mine who did not want me to be king over them--bring them here and kill them in front of me.' "

Look at  the background to the story.He was telling a parable (as I said before, these are stories that carry important messages). Let me reproduce the chapter;

The Parable of the Ten Minas

11 As they heard these things, he proceeded to tell a parable, because he was near to Jerusalem, and because they supposed that the kingdom of God was to appear immediately. 12 He said therefore, “A nobleman went into a far country to receive for himself a kingdom and then return. 13 Calling ten of his servants, he gave them ten minas, and said to them, ‘Engage in business until I come.’ 14 But his citizens hated him and sent a delegation after him, saying, ‘We do not want this man to reign over us.’ 15 When he returned, having received the kingdom, he ordered these servants to whom he had given the money to be called to him, that he might know what they had gained by doing business. 16 The first came before him, saying, ‘Lord, your mina has made ten minas more.’ 17 And he said to him, ‘Well done, good servant! Because you have been faithful in a very little, you shall have authority over ten cities.’ 18 And the second came, saying, ‘Lord, your mina has made five minas.’ 19 And he said to him, ‘And you are to be over five cities.’ 20 Then another came, saying, ‘Lord, here is your mina, which I kept laid away in a handkerchief; 21 for I was afraid of you, because you are a severe man. You take what you did not deposit, and reap what you did not sow.’ 22 He said to him, ‘I will condemn you with your own words, you wicked servant! You knew that I was a severe man, taking what I did not deposit and reaping what I did not sow? 23 Why then did you not put my money in the bank, and at my coming I might have collected it with interest?’ 24 And he said to those who stood by, ‘Take the mina from him, and give it to the one who has the ten minas.’ 25 And they said to him, ‘Lord, he has ten minas!’ 26 ‘I tell you that to everyone who has, more will be given, but from the one who has not, even what he has will be taken away. 27 But as for these enemies of mine, who did not want me to reign over them, bring them here and slaughter them before me.’”

Get it?
Re: The Ridicule Of Muslim Apologetics by bashydemy(m): 1:14pm On Dec 28, 2011
Judek2:

The OT is for the people of old,the NT is for the people of the New world.
Old things has passed away,all things are made new. Old laws has passed away,all things are made new by Jesus Christ.
Just as a wise man would say the past lays foundation and a pillar of support for the present.

Why are you so stagnant?
Since old things have passed away, Then what are the verses of OT doing in NT?
Also about tithe what is that also doing in NT? was it not part of the old things that should have passed away?
Re: The Ridicule Of Muslim Apologetics by LagosShia: 4:36pm On Dec 28, 2011
goggs:

God hates yes. But what does he hate? Read the Chapter in anywhere that hate is mentioned; be it sin, actions or what?

Why shouldnt you be interested in why? You are funny! ''WHY?" is a very important factor. This is why we keep asking ourselves WHY? Its fundamental in Christianity: WHY did God choose to save us not to destroy? WHY are we offered salvation ? WHY? WHY? WHY?

Christianity agrees to questions, unlike Islam that "WHY?" is a taboo! No questions! If you dont ask WHY, how can you learn? "Why" is why science advanced, Why Christianity is not forced on you, You ask WHY and follow your conscience. OK?

the "why" is irrelevant here because you christians have made your "god" a "lamb" who was dragged to the slaughter house.is that not how you describe your Jesus?you have made him incapable of hating even the devil and what is wrong.are the verses i presented sho that you guys are brainwashing yourselves.do not complain when the muslims defend themselves against their oppressors and do not cry that Allah commands us to defend ourselves.if there is need to hate evil,then fine.but dont pretend your god was always the victim.

christianity agrees to question?well that is because the questions are always left unanswered and begging.or at most falsehood does the rest.Islam is the religion of logic and reasoning.our Quran tells us to ask:"bring your proof if you are truthful"!

CHAI, OK LagoShia, I now know you don't read or research the Quran well enough. Let me help you AGAIN (for the last time!):

(i)When you meet the unbelievers, smite their necks, then when you have made wide slaughter among them, tie fast the bonds, then set them free, either by grace or ransom, until the war lays down its burdens. - 47:4

(different translation) When you meet the unbelievers in the battlefield, strike off their heads, and when you have laid them low, bind your captives firmly.

(ii) Slay them wherever ye find them and drive them out of the places whence they drove you out, for[b] persecution is worse than slaughter[/b]. - 2:191 (Yet Christians are persecuted in Saudi, Pakistan and other Islamic countries, What Irony)

(iii) Fight against them until idolatry is no more and Allah's religion reigns supreme. ( - Sura 2:193 and 8:39

(iv) Fighting is obligatory for you, much as you dislike it. - 2:216
(different translation: ) Prescribed for you is fighting, though it is hateful to you. (No option for the squirmy)

(iv)But if they turn renegades, seize them and slay them wherever you find them. - 4:89

(v) It is not for any Prophet to have captives until he has made slaughter in the land. - 8:67

(vi)When the sacred months are over, slay the idolaters wherever you find them. Arrest them, besiege them, and lie in ambush everywhere for them. - 9:5

(vii) Allah has cursed the unbelievers and proposed for them a blazing hell. - 33:60[b] (Contrast with Christ teachings. God loves unbelievers and he don't want them to perish but to have salvation)[/b]

(viii) Unbelievers are enemies of Allah and they will roast in hell. - 41:14 (Contrast with Christ teachings. God loves unbelievers and he don't want them to perish but to have salvation)

(ix) Make war on the unbelievers and the hypocrites and deal sternly with them. Hell shall be their home, evil their fate. - 66:9 (Contrast with Christ teachings asking his disciples to go to the world preaching with nothing but their staff  and clothing, preaching salvation)

(x) The unbelievers among the People of the Book and the pagans shall burn forever in the fire of hell. They are the vilest of all creatures. - 98:51 (How could God's most superior creatures- humans- be the vilest? Ah I don't understand. Please LagoShia explain)

you keep repeating what has being explained.we are not commanded to fight anyone who has done us no wrong.we are told to defend ourselves.anywhere in the Quran there is conflict and the muslims are told to fight the unbelievers,it is a case of defense and nothing more than that.you can find the explanations given to the verses you are quoting in my next posts.

I will not quote people here because it will be based on their prejudiced views. I have thousands, from Mark Gabriel, to Dr. Marwan to so many historians, archaeologist and thinkers who view Islam negatively. But that would hurt you further (for e.g. i start quoting Salman Rushdie or other people who have irrational hate of Islam), that will not be an even debate. My goal is not a hate debate but a rational sane one devoid of calling people cockroaches and the like (as you have) Lets stick to the Bible and the Koran which are the basis for these two faiths.

if you are open to debate then you are welcome.but it becomes senseless when you repeat what has already being answered.that repetition will not be treated with any new answers but the old replies.

Look at  the background to the story.He was telling a parable (as I said before, these are stories that carry important messages). Let me reproduce the chapter;

The Parable of the Ten Minas

11 As they heard these things, he proceeded to tell a parable, because he was near to Jerusalem, and because they supposed that the kingdom of God was to appear immediately. 12 He said therefore, “A nobleman went into a far country to receive for himself a kingdom and then return. 13 Calling ten of his servants, he gave them ten minas, and said to them, ‘Engage in business until I come.’ 14 But his citizens hated him and sent a delegation after him, saying, ‘We do not want this man to reign over us.’ 15 When he returned, having received the kingdom, he ordered these servants to whom he had given the money to be called to him, that he might know what they had gained by doing business. 16 The first came before him, saying, ‘Lord, your mina has made ten minas more.’ 17 And he said to him, ‘Well done, good servant! Because you have been faithful in a very little, you shall have authority over ten cities.’ 18 And the second came, saying, ‘Lord, your mina has made five minas.’ 19 And he said to him, ‘And you are to be over five cities.’ 20 Then another came, saying, ‘Lord, here is your mina, which I kept laid away in a handkerchief; 21 for I was afraid of you, because you are a severe man. You take what you did not deposit, and reap what you did not sow.’ 22 He said to him, ‘I will condemn you with your own words, you wicked servant! You knew that I was a severe man, taking what I did not deposit and reaping what I did not sow? 23 Why then did you not put my money in the bank, and at my coming I might have collected it with interest?’ 24 And he said to those who stood by, ‘Take the mina from him, and give it to the one who has the ten minas.’ 25 And they said to him, ‘Lord, he has ten minas!’ 26 ‘I tell you that to everyone who has, more will be given, but from the one who has not, even what he has will be taken away. 27 But as for these enemies of mine, who did not want me to reign over them, bring them here and slaughter them before me.’”

Get it?

my friend whether it is a parable or not,such a statement coming out from the mouth of the "prince of peace" is unbelieveable.the verse espouses violence and terror.is there no better way of putting his idea across than by using a violent parable?
Re: The Ridicule Of Muslim Apologetics by LagosShia: 4:37pm On Dec 28, 2011
[size=18pt]Aren't there some verses of the Qur'an that condone "killing the infidel"? [/size]
By Huda, About.com Guide

Question: Aren't there some verses of the Qur'an that condone "killing the infidel"?
Answer: The Qur'an commands Muslims to stick up for themselves in a defensive battle -- i.e. if an enemy army attacks, then Muslims are to fight against that army until they stop their aggression. All of the verses that speak about fighting/war in the Qur'an are in this context.
There are some specific verses that are very often "snipped" out of context, either by critics of Islam discussing "jihadism," or by misguided Muslims themselves who wish to justify their aggressive tactics.

"Slay Them" - If They Attack You First
For example, one verse (in its snipped version) reads: "slay them wherever you catch them" (Qur'an 2:191). But who is this referring to? Who are "they" that this verse discusses? The preceding and following verses give the correct context:
"Fight in the cause of God those who fight you, but do not transgress limits; for God loves not transgressors. And slay them wherever you catch them, and turn them out from where they have turned you out; for tumult and oppression are worse than slaughter, But if they cease, God is Oft-forgiving, Most Merciful, If they cease, let there be no hostility except to those who practice oppression" (2:190-193).
It is clear from the context that these verses are discussing a defensive war, when a Muslim community is attacked without reason, oppressed and prevented from practicing their faith. In these circumstances, permission is given to fight back -- but even then Muslims are instructed not to transgress limits, and to cease fighting as soon as the attacker gives up. Even in these circumstances, Muslim are only to fight directly against those who are attacking them, not innocent bystanders or non-combatants.

"Fight the Pagans" - If They Break Treaties
A similar verse can be found in chapter 9, verse 5 -- which in its snipped, out of context version could read: "fight and slay the pagans wherever ye find them, and seize them, beleaguer them, and lie in wait for them in every stratagem (of war)." Again, the preceding and following verses give the context.
This verse was revealed during a historical period when the small Muslim community had entered into treaties with neighboring tribes (Jewish, Christian, and pagan). Several of the pagan tribes had violated the terms of their treaty, secretly aiding an enemy attack against the Muslim community. The verse directly before this one instructs the Muslims to continue to honor treaties with anyone who has not since betrayed them, because fulfilling agreements is considered a righteous action. Then the verse continues, that those who have violated the terms of the treaty have declared war, so fight them, (as quoted above).

Directly after this permission to fight, the same verse continues, "but if they repent, and establish regular prayers and practice regular charity, then open the way for them, for God is Oft-forgiving, Most Merciful." The subsequent verses instruct the Muslims to grant asylum to any member of the pagan tribe/army who asks for it, and again reminds that "as long as these stand true to you, stand ye true to them: for God loves the righteous."

Conclusion
Any verse that is quoted out of context misses the whole point of the message of the Qur'an. Nowhere in the Qur'an can be found support for indiscriminate slaughter, the killing of non-combatants, or murder of innocent persons in 'payback' for another people's alleged crimes.
The Islamic teachings on this subject can be summed up in the following verses (Qur'an 60:7-cool:
"It may be that God will grant love (and friendship) between you and those whom ye (now) hold as enemies. For God has power (over all things), and God is Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful.
God does not forbid you, with regard to those who fight you not for (your) faith nor drive you out of your homes, from dealing kindly and justly with them: for God loves those who are just."

http://islam.about.com/od/terrorism/f/terrorism_verse.htm
Re: The Ridicule Of Muslim Apologetics by LagosShia: 4:37pm On Dec 28, 2011
HOLY QURAN 5:32:
whoever kills a soul unless for a soul or for corruption [done] in the land - it is as if he had slain mankind entirely. And whoever saves one - it is as if he had saved mankind entirely.

(SHOW ME ONE VERSE FROM THE ENTIRE BIBLE LIKE THE ABOVE!)

HOLY QURAN 2:190:
Fight in the way of Allah against those who fight against you, but begin not hostilities. Lo! Allah loveth not aggressors.

HOLY QURAN 7:55:
(O mankind!) Call upon your Lord humbly and in secret. Lo! He loveth not aggressors.

HOLY QURAN 8:61:
"But if the enemy incline towards peace, do thou (also) incline towards peace, and trust in Allah: for He is the One that Heareth and Knoweth (all things)."

HOLY QURAN 5:2:
" , and let not the hatred of some people in (once) shutting you out of the Sacred Mosque lead you to transgression (and hostility on your part). Help ye one another in righteousness and piety, but help ye not one another in sin and rancour: fear Allah: for Allah is strict in punishment."

HOLY QURAN 41:34:
"Nor can Goodness and Evil be equal. Repel (Evil) with what is better: then will he between whom and thee was hatred become as it were thy friend and intimate!"

HOLY QURAN 4:135:
"O ye who believe! stand out firmly for justice, as witnesses to Allah, even as against yourselves, or your parents, or your kin, and whether it be (against) rich or poor: for Allah can best protect both. Follow not the lusts (of your hearts), lest ye swerve, and if ye distort (justice) or decline to do justice, verily Allah is well-acquainted with all that ye do."

HOLY QURAN 16:90
"God advocates justice, charity, and regarding the relatives. And He forbids evil, vice, and transgression. He enlightens you, that you may take heed."

HOLY QURAN 16:126:
"And if ye do punish them, punish them no worse than they punished you: but if ye show patience, that is indeed the best (course) for those who are patient."

HOLY QURAN 21:107:
"And we have not sent you but as a mercy for the world"
Re: The Ridicule Of Muslim Apologetics by Judek2(m): 11:16pm On Dec 28, 2011
bashy_demy:

Since old things have passed away, Then what are the verses of OT doing in NT?
Also about tithe what is that also doing in NT? was it not part of the old things that should have passed away?

maybe you didnt see this

without the OT, there will be no base for the NT.
Re: The Ridicule Of Muslim Apologetics by goggs(m): 11:22pm On Dec 28, 2011
Re: The Ridicule Of Muslim Apologetics by Judek2(m): 11:30pm On Dec 28, 2011

HOLY QURAN 5:32:
whoever kills a soul unless for a soul or for corruption [done] in the land - it is as if he had slain mankind entirely. And whoever saves one - it is as if he had saved mankind entirely.
(SHOW ME ONE VERSE FROM THE ENTIRE BIBLE LIKE THE ABOVE!)

You know for yourself that the Bible contains many and lots of wonderful and peaceful messages than any book.
It will just be foolish and unrational to start pasting and argueing on verses that contains the best messages.

In the right sence of the verse, you can kill a soul for a soul,and a soul that is currupt.

Yeah,you're right. .You can never find such verse in the Bible. grin
Re: The Ridicule Of Muslim Apologetics by goggs(m): 11:49pm On Dec 28, 2011
Re: The Ridicule Of Muslim Apologetics by LagosShia: 11:57pm On Dec 28, 2011
^^^^^

you are obviously of the habit of writing unnecessarily and long useless posts with all your words pointing to the same direction as earlier i stated and clarified the issues.

i would like to wipe out all the many words you typed with one verse which you stated.that is the verse christians misunderstand the most:

Mathew 26:52 for all they that take the sword shall perish with the sword.

what does the above verse means?

1.) those that "take up the sword" means offenders and oppressors.
2.) muslims and their wars are taught in the Quran to only be defensive.
3.) Jesus himself does not oppose defending oneself because from the phrase "shall perish with the sword" shows that the oppressors would eventually be defeated by the sword which they raise to oppress others.
Re: The Ridicule Of Muslim Apologetics by goggs(m): 12:20am On Dec 29, 2011
LagosShia:

^^^^^

you are obviously of the habit of writing unnecessarily and long useless posts with all your words pointing to the same direction as earlier i stated and clarified the issues.

i would like to wipe out all the many words you typed with one verse which you stated.that is the verse christians misunderstand the most:

3.) Jesus himself does not oppose defending oneself because from the phrase "shall perish with the sword" shows that the oppressors would eventually be defeated by the sword which they raise to oppress others.

educating is a difficult task. So I write to cover all angles.  grin grin grin grin grin grin

Ask any Christian ( In fact anybody that understands English well) the meaning of this. In fact its a common saying that has entered everyday use. In fact let me allow Wikipedia to explain, since you are pretending you dont know what is in common usage

When it comes to swords you are rushing to twist it to follow your meanings in the Koran. Not so fast. Let me let a third party (wikipedia Encyclopedia) answer you - (PS See how the meaning of simple Bible passages confuse you into thinking they are contradictions or preach violence). Here goes:

"Live by the sword, die by the sword" is a saying derived from a Biblical parable to the effect that if you use violence, or other harsh means, against other people, you can expect to have those same means used against you; "You can expect to become a victim of whatever means you use to get what you want. - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Live_by_the_sword,_die_by_the_sword

Go back and read my posts well oh. Don't pretend they are too long. You were the one prompting for answers, the answers come you are complaining ( and dodging I may add)

W
PS Read my answer to your HOLY QURAN 5:32. Dont dodge it.
Re: The Ridicule Of Muslim Apologetics by bashydemy(m): 5:54am On Dec 29, 2011
Judek2:

maybe you didnt see this

Then what is the basic of your argument, Ok i have a Question for you. Didi you still believe ion OT?
Re: The Ridicule Of Muslim Apologetics by bashydemy(m): 6:11am On Dec 29, 2011
goggs:

[color=#990000][font=Lucida Sans Unicode][size=11pt]
"Live by the sword, die by the sword" is a saying derived from a Biblical parable to the effect that if you use violence, or other harsh means, against other people, you can expect to have those same means used against you; "You can expect to become a victim of whatever means you use to get what you want. - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Live_by_the_sword,_die_by_the_sword

So if you believe in this then why are you complain now that the Arab Nations are fighting back? where were you when they are been oppressed?
They are fighting back there Oppressors and you guy call them Terrorist. Where were you when American Declare war and ruin Iraq then am talking about Golf war.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gulf_War

How about the Bombing of Libya
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_El_Dorado_Canyon

Ouadi Doum air raid

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ouadi_Doum_air_raid

2003 invasion of Iraq
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2003_invasion_of_Iraq

[b]Afghan war[/b
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/War_in_Afghanistan_(2001%E2%80%93present)

Need help on American war both legal and illegal check  here,
http://conservapedia.com/List_of_American_Wars
Re: The Ridicule Of Muslim Apologetics by goggs(m): 9:49am On Dec 29, 2011
Listing American wars in the Muslim world doesn't invalidate the meaning of live by the sword die by the sword. while I do NOT support some wars America went to, but do yourself a favor and read those links from the very beginning and you will find that there was a reason. even if the use of force is disproportionate. its a case of yatrouble dey sleep yanga go wake am. America doesn't suffer fools gladly.

Seriously, What were you tryin to prove with ya post sef? That the bible passage is wrong?
Re: The Ridicule Of Muslim Apologetics by LagosShia: 12:41pm On Dec 29, 2011
goggs:

educating is a difficult task. So I write to cover all angles. grin grin grin grin grin grin

Ask any Christian ( In fact anybody that understands English well) the meaning of this. In fact its a common saying that has entered everyday use. In fact let me allow Wikipedia to explain, since you are pretending you dont know what is in common usage

When it comes to swords you are rushing to twist it to follow your meanings in the Koran. Not so fast. Let me let a third party (wikipedia Encyclopedia) answer you - (PS See how the meaning of simple Bible passages confuse you into thinking they are contradictions or preach violence). Here goes:

Go back and read my posts well oh. Don't pretend they are too long. You were the one prompting for answers, the answers come you are complaining ( and dodging I may add)

W
PS Read my answer to your HOLY QURAN 5:32. Dont dodge it.

now i want to ask you a questtion:

"live by the sword" means if you use harsh or violent means (oppression) against others you can expect those same means used against you.those who use the same means against the oppressor who lives by the sword,will those also be seen in a bad light? is it allowed to defend oneself against those who "live by the sword"? Jesus told his disciples to buy swords.even if we turn a blind eye and take the parable as harmless and not worth mentioning,Jesus literally asked his disciples to buy swords.
Re: The Ridicule Of Muslim Apologetics by Judek2(m): 12:59pm On Dec 29, 2011
LagosShia:

^^^^^

Compare to these verses.
Matt.7:1-2
Judge not,that ye be not judged.
2)for with what judgement ye judge,ye shall be judged:and with what measure ye mete,it shall be measured to you again.

Matt.7:12-
Therefore all things whatsoever ye would that men should do to you,do ye even so to them: For this is the law and the Prophets.

Mark 4:24
And he said to them,take heed what ye hear: With what measure ye mete,it shall be measured to you:and unto you that hear shall more be given.

Luke 6:38
Give,and it shall be given unto you: good measure,pressed down,and shaken together,and running over, shall men give unto your bosom. For with the same measure that ye mete withal it shall be measured to you again.

Isaiah 33:1
Woe to thee that spoilest,and thou wast not spoiled,and dealest treacherously,and they dealt not treacherously with thee! When thou shalt cease to spoil, thou shalt be spoiled; and when thou shalt make an end to deal treacherously,they shall deal treacherously with thee.

These verses just shows that the way you give to others,so shall you recieve also,which is a further explanation on that verse.
I wonder if you have some problem with understanding.
Re: The Ridicule Of Muslim Apologetics by goggs(m): 2:11pm On Dec 29, 2011
LagosShia:

now i want to ask you a questtion:

"live by the sword" means if you use harsh or violent means (oppression) against others you can expect those same means used against you.those who use the same means against the oppressor who lives by the sword,will those also be seen in a bad light? is it allowed to defend oneself against those who "live by the sword"? Jesus told his disciples to buy swords.even if we turn a blind eye and take the parable as harmless and not worth mentioning,Jesus literally asked his disciples to buy swords.

You didn't bother about my request that you respond to HOLY QURAN 5:32. You dodged it, again. Please answer.

Ok, I will respond nontheless. I must note that you are jumbling issues

"live by the sword" means if you use harsh or violent means (oppression) against others you can expect those same means used against you.those who use the same means against the oppressor who lives by the sword,will those also be seen in a bad light? is it allowed to defend oneself against those who "live by the sword"?

Living by the sword is not only for opression. If you read the explanation it says ". if you use violence, or other harsh means, against other people," so its a broad statement. Whether you strike first or second, Christianity practices pacifism (abhorrence to violence). Anybody running around saying he is fighting for Christianity should open the Bible and show me where Christ asked Christians to fight for anything. Of course people are drifting from faith (Christianity, Islam, Buddist, Hindus etc) and are claiming all sorts of things. That is why there is need for a rebirth, a break from violence, embracing what is good for mankind in the context of what we find ourselves today.

I know that you are looking for justification of the violent passages in the Koran (as per self defence). I have already shown you that passages like Sura 9:29 shows premeditation of violence and also a practical example is how Islam came to West Africa.

I would advice our dear Muslims that there is need to admit the existence of violence in the Koran and try to address it especially for those fringe extremist who thrive on mass murder. During Prophet Muhammed's time, he may have used violence for political and military purposes, but this is so unnecessary right now. So also other religions, even Christianity, where some supposed adherents are getting fed up, backsliding and are starting to talk of retaliation (which is totally forbidden (turn the other cheek, remember?)) should realise that it is wrong.

But really, its up to Muslims to reform themselves for the 21st century.
Re: The Ridicule Of Muslim Apologetics by LagosShia: 2:21pm On Dec 29, 2011
Judek2:

Compare to these verses.
Matt.7:1-2
Judge not,that ye be not judged.
2)for with what judgement ye judge,ye shall be judged:and with what measure ye mete,it shall be measured to you again.

Matt.7:12-
Therefore all things whatsoever ye would that men should do to you,do ye even so to them: For this is the law and the Prophets.

Mark 4:24
And he said to them,take heed what ye hear: With what measure ye mete,it shall be measured to you:and unto you that hear shall more be given.

Luke 6:38
Give,and it shall be given unto you: good measure,pressed down,and shaken together,and running over, shall men give unto your bosom. For with the same measure that ye mete withal it shall be measured to you again.

Isaiah 33:1
Woe to thee that spoilest,and thou wast not spoiled,and dealest treacherously,and they dealt not treacherously with thee! When thou shalt cease to spoil, thou shalt be spoiled; and when thou shalt make an end to deal treacherously,they shall deal treacherously with thee.

These verses just shows that the way you give to others,so shall you recieve also,which is a further explanation on that verse.
I wonder if you have some problem with understanding.

all the verses you presented can be unde3rstood in the context of warning people not to offend others and the aggressors.what happens if others do the oppression?it is obvious that those that judge others would be judged by others.so when you offend,others would defend themselves.you said it yourself that what you give others is what you will receive.so when you slap me,expect a slap in return!
Re: The Ridicule Of Muslim Apologetics by Nobody: 2:22pm On Dec 29, 2011
goggs:

You didn't bother about my request that you respond to HOLY QURAN 5:32. You dodged it, again. Please answer.

Living by the sword is not only for opression. If you read the explanation it says ". if you use violence, or other harsh means, against other people," so its a broad statement. Whether you strike first or second, Christianity practices pacifism (abhorrence to violence). Anybody running around saying he is fighting for Christianity should open the Bible and show me where Christ asked Christians to fight for anything. Of course people are drifting from faith (Christianity, Islam, Buddist, Hindus etc) and are claiming all sorts of things. That is why there is need for a rebirth, a break from violence, embracing what is good for mankind in the context of what we find ourselves today.

I know that you are looking for justification of the violent passages in the Koran (as per self defence). I have already shown you that passages like Sura 9:29 shows premeditation of violence and also a practical example is how Islam came to West Africa.

I would advice our dear Muslims that there is need to admit the existence of violence in the Koran and try to address it especially for those fringe extremist who thrive on mass murder. During Prophet Muhammed's time, he may have used violence for political and military purposes, but this is so unnecessary right now. So also other religions, even Christianity, where some supposed adherents are getting fed up, backsliding and are starting to talk of retaliation (which is totally forbidden (turn the other cheek, remember?)) should realise that it is wrong.

Stop arguing with this extremist guy called LagosShia, you are wasting your precious time.

Even his Muslim brethren have abandoned him and consider him a Kafir or Heretic.
Re: The Ridicule Of Muslim Apologetics by LagosShia: 2:43pm On Dec 29, 2011
goggs:

Holy Quran 5:32:

"Because of that, We decreed upon the Children of Israel that whoever kills a soul unless for a soul or for corruption [done] in the land - it is as if he had slain mankind entirely. And whoever saves one - it is as if he had saved mankind entirely. And our messengers had certainly come to them with clear proofs. Then indeed many of them, [even] after that, throughout the land, were transgressors".

this verse clearly condemns killing an innocent soul.it is very explitcit and self-explanatory.

you have just contradicted yourself in the above.at one point you claim that people have broken away with faith and cite example of islam as one of the faiths people are not abiding by correctly to its teachings and then you accuse me of looking for justification for verses in the Quran which you see as "violent" and not in the light of "self-defense" which is a sacred right. in the many verses of terror and killing in the bible does not make you ashame at all.and here you are having the effontery to point finger at me of looking for justification for verses in the Quran.

the difference between muslims and christians is the word "pretense".we muslims totally oppose oppression and offending anyone or doing wrong to an innocent person regardless of what faith he is from that is why you see majority of muslims opposing boko haram.in post #134 i presented verses from the Quran that made that point clear.also,we do not shy away from telling you that if you try to oppress us and tamper with our god-given rights to live freely,we got the right to cutt of your hand.the christian would perpetrate all evil acts,and turn a blind eye to the many wars and killings in the bible authorized by your God the same one who you believe also inspired the new testament,yet here you shamelessly claim pacificism.at least the president of CAN and the other leading pastors in ngeria who signed a statement yesterday vowing retaliation and "self defense" against innocent muslims for criminal acts by boko haram do not approve of the statements of pacifism you are making in the name of christianity.

"Boko Haram: Oritsejafor, Adeboye, Oyedepo Spits Fire!"
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-833886.0.html

if read posts # 133 and 134 in this thread and compare then with the below thread :

"Biblical Verses Of Killing And Terror"
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-817498.0.html
Re: The Ridicule Of Muslim Apologetics by LagosShia: 3:04pm On Dec 29, 2011
Judek2:

You know for yourself that the Bible contains many and lots of wonderful and peaceful messages than any book.
It will just be foolish and unrational to start pasting and argueing on verses that contains the best messages.

In the right sence of the verse, you can kill a soul for a soul,and a soul that is currupt.

Yeah,you're right. .You can never find such verse in the Bible. grin

can never find such a verse in the bible?are you sure what is in the bible is not even the worst?

Numbers 31:17-18
Now kill all the boys (in Midian). And kill every woman who has slept with a man, 18but save for yourselves every girl who has never slept with a man.

grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: The Ridicule Of Muslim Apologetics by LagosShia: 3:08pm On Dec 29, 2011
Judek2:

maybe you didnt see this

thank you very much for the above that the foundation of the bible is built on barbarism and confusion.
Re: The Ridicule Of Muslim Apologetics by LagosShia: 3:33pm On Dec 29, 2011
Judek2:

If you dont know what salvation message is,or want to know since there is NO SALVATION IN ISLAM,
Go and read about Jesus Christ,and mainly the new tastaments. Read without a rebelious mind.

Holy Quran 2:135
"They say: "Become Jews or Christians if ye would be guided (To salvation)." Say thou: "Nay! (I would rather) the Religion of Abraham the True, and he joined not gods with Allah."
Re: The Ridicule Of Muslim Apologetics by bashydemy(m): 6:10pm On Dec 29, 2011
goggs:

Listing American wars in the Muslim world doesn't invalidate the meaning of live by the sword die by the sword. while I do NOT support some wars America went to, but do yourself a favor and read those links from the very beginning and you will find that there was a reason. even if the use of force is disproportionate. its a case of yatrouble dey sleep yanga go wake am. America doesn't suffer fools gladly.

Seriously, What were you tryin to prove with ya post sef? That the bible passage is wrong?
What am trying to get here is that American have Oppress the Arab Nations for so long, tell me what is the cause of American/Afghanistan?
Tell the cause of the war between American and Libya,Iraq,Vietnam, to name few.
Re: The Ridicule Of Muslim Apologetics by goggs(m): 9:01pm On Dec 29, 2011
Re: The Ridicule Of Muslim Apologetics by LagosShia: 12:32pm On Dec 30, 2011
goggs:

My Sister, I think you are right. i can see the guy is formed. For example, he has total failed to read the response to some of my post (directly to him oh) and is repeating the questions. Chai! shocked
console yourself! it would make you feel better.

[font=Lucida Sans Unicode][size=11pt]How can the Holy Koran decree upon the Children of Isreal?
the Quran is not saying it decreed for the children of Israel.God is telling us of a law that was previously revealed and decreed by Him which still stands for us and for humanity.

A people it asks that Muslim kill? A people described as the vilest of creatures? A people the Koran decrees will burn in HELL?
you are wrong.the Quran and muslims only stand against wrongdoers and oppressors regardless of their race.even when muslims commit crimes justice is served to them.

Read my earlier reply below, since no HUMAN CAN KILL THE SOUL, the Koran is misleading them;

What is a SOUL? According to the Dictionary; The spiritual or immaterial part of a human being or animal, regarded as immortal.
A person's moral or emotional nature or sense of identity.

Dude, How can a HUMAN kill a soul? A HUMAN can only kill a man's body, but his Soul can't be killed by a human. Technically this verse is near impossible to be true. Only God can handle a man's SOUL, UNLESS you can use the Quran to prove to me that the SOUL and BODY are one.

Let me infer; if SOUL is what leaves a man's body upon death, then a human can't kill a soul. This means that technically this verse is meant for God himself. If he kills a SOUL, then he has slain mankind entirely (maybe we are all interlinked supernaturally).

I can then deduce that in view of the above, you can say that the Quran asks that you don't kill the SOUL cos you (human) can't kill the SOUL. This makes all verses ordering the killing of Christians, Jews etc VALID!!!! Cos they are asked not to kill the SOUL (Which they can't) but can slay Jews, strike off the heads of Christians. What Irony

aside from being dumb i must commend you for being very funny and putting a smile on my face.have you ever heard people calling someone a "poor soul"? have you ever heard humans saying "dont kill an innocent soul"? so what the Quran refers to there with the word "soul" is figurative referrring to the complete human being and not to the spirit alone. it has nothing to do with the killing of the human soul or its destruction in spiritual form which God alone can do as even in Islam we believe that death is the separation of body and soul and the soul will continue living thereafter while the body decays.
Re: The Ridicule Of Muslim Apologetics by goggs(m): 2:36pm On Dec 30, 2011
aside from being dumb i must commend you for being very funny and putting a smile on my face.

here comes the insults again. shocked  You must be a really interesting fellow to insult those you debate with. Its not that I am concerned, but it leads to be to an interesting preposition; Are you like that? Any way

.have you ever heard people calling someone a "poor soul"? have you ever heard humans saying "dont kill an innocent soul"? so what the Quran refers to there with the word "soul" is figurative referrring to the complete human being and not to the spirit alone. it has nothing to do with the killing of the human soul or its destruction in spiritual form which God alone can do as even in Islam we believe that death is the separation of body and soul and the soul will continue living thereafter while the body decays

The phrase "poor soul" is a phrase first used by Shakespeare from his  Sonnet 146. It later entered English lexicon. In any academic work or serious discussion, the use of the words soul and body are NOT synonymous. In fact poor soul  and innocent soul is informal English.

so until you can give me an example from the time of Prophet Mohammed (when the Koran was revealed) where SOUL is same as human body, sorry, I  am not buying that. Cos that will be making excuses. Muslims believe the Koran is whole and its message clear.

even in Islam we believe that death is the separation of body and soul and the soul will continue living thereafter while the body decays

You just unwittingly confirmed what I have been saying all these while. A HUMAN CAN't kill a SOUL. So the verse prohibiting the killing of an innocent SOUL is not for MUSLIMS! How can they be prohibited from killing what they can't kill?

Its like telling me - dude, don't kill an angel: Its a command. Hey, I cant kill an angel, so the command isn't for me in the first place!

Get it?

Re: The Ridicule Of Muslim Apologetics by Judek2(m): 10:27pm On Dec 30, 2011
LagosShia:

[color=#000099]all the verses you presented can be unde3rstood in the context of warning people not to offend others and the aggressors.what happens if others do the oppression?it is obvious that those that judge others would be judged by others.so when you offend,others would defend themselves.you said it yourself that what you give others is what you will receive.so when you slap me,expect a slap in return![/colour]

The message is clear. It gives warnings on how to treat others in respect of how you expect others to treat you. It never says "do to others what they does to you" as you make it look. Your explanation only goes inverse to the message which in your view means another thing altogether.
Re: The Ridicule Of Muslim Apologetics by Judek2(m): 10:50pm On Dec 30, 2011
LagosShia:

can never find such a verse in the bible?are you sure what is in the bible is not even the worst?

Numbers 31:17-18
Now kill all the boys (in Midian). And kill every woman who has slept with a man, 18but save for yourselves every girl who has never slept with a man.

grin grin grin grin grin grin

You just got a Zero view on what I meant. Yeah, I expected it that way grin

But the verse never say "Kill the souls of all the boys in Medina"

Actually,what I tried to prove to you is you can never find it like "do not kill any soul,except for a soul,or one that currupts."
Lighting that you can kill some group and spare some group. Your best Koranic verse still gives order To Kill.
Re: The Ridicule Of Muslim Apologetics by Judek2(m): 11:00pm On Dec 30, 2011
LagosShia:

thank you very much for the above that the foundation of the bible is built on barbarism and confusion.

Well,the wise man would also tell you,"Try to learn from the past,and make the present better".
But the foolish man would tell you,"Do everything which is of old and leave no stone unturned".

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Beware Of Your Idols / What Is Expected Of A Minister's (pastor) Wife / I Will Be An Atheist For Some Hours/Days

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 204
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.