Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,043 members, 7,818,108 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 08:06 AM

Will I Be Making A Mistake By Becoming A Jehovah's Witness? - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Will I Be Making A Mistake By Becoming A Jehovah's Witness? (24121 Views)

Diary Of A Jehovah's Witness / Jehovah's Witness Dies After Rejecting Blood Transfusion / Micheal Jacksons Life As A Jehovah's Witness (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Will I Be Making A Mistake By Becoming A Jehovah's Witness? by CLASSMAN: 11:15am On Nov 08, 2011
anoda jehovah witness thread?
Re: Will I Be Making A Mistake By Becoming A Jehovah's Witness? by chmod777: 11:15am On Nov 08, 2011
[font=Lucida Sans Unicode] Hello my people, every Christian denomination was founded by someone. From Emperor Constantine, Luther, Oyedepo etc etc. Jesus  is the church and speaks to you through the bible.Now  the is  problem, listen
-when information is transmitted from one form to other it gets corrupted at different stages
   this has given rise to several interpretations of the bible (and consequently doctrines)

Now which one is the right and sound doctrine /

Answer:
 Since you can read , first study the bible on ur own, study with someone, say thru  pastor/priest/preacher's teaching, then let ur mind loose and ask God to interpret for u. Emancipate urself from mindset aka doctrine to avoid obscuring your interpretations, then YOU SHOULD ANSWER by urself which places to worship.

Note: at several instances of worshiping in this final destination, there must be so many interpretations YOU would beg to differ. our relationship with God is one-on-one. That means u can chose to turn down on some beliefs even in ur own congregation as ur mind leads u.
God will surely guide u if deeply u want to seek HIM.
[/font]
Re: Will I Be Making A Mistake By Becoming A Jehovah's Witness? by tplamp26: 11:31am On Nov 08, 2011
freecocoa u do not need to be confused ok.heaven and hell is a choice.make up ur made ok.do not been fool.johova or c and s OR EVEN OLUBAOLUBA.what GOD is after is ur soul simple.church does not garantee ur heaven.shine ur eye well well.if you wHAT to know the bible and holiness of life ATTEND deep life is the place other churches also hv der area of strength.bibile knownlede is next to perfect not johavan witness ok.make up ur mind.

heaven and hell na choice.case closed.
Re: Will I Be Making A Mistake By Becoming A Jehovah's Witness? by numo86(m): 11:38am On Nov 08, 2011
ITbomb:

if u were a catholic go there, I found out 70% of converted JWs were from catholic and I their articles those converted one spend half of their time bashing vatican city
femi4:

"I and my father, we are one and no one comes to the Father except through me"
"I am the Way, the Truth and the Life."
"In the begining was the word, and the word was with God, and the word was God"
"And the word became flesh and make his dwelling among us,full of grace and truth."
Finally, you can read 1st Jn 5:7 to understand the mystry of trinity according to John beloved

1john5:7 mentions 3 witnesses, and what did it mentionspirit,water and d blood, king james is givin u anoda meanin, calin d father,d word & d holy spirit, i want u to also read from other translations, i hav 3 translations with me and renderings, how does that define trinity?, hope u read verse 8 of it to see d three witnesses mention there, read down verses 10&11, there stil tels u that d father & son are different persons and nt co equal,
Now lets define d oneness christ talked about @ john10:30, let me ask u to xplain this bible text. Recorded @ matthew 19:4-6, what does it mean for a husband n wife to be 1 flesh, does it mean d woman is co equal to d man or the man himself,since they r even to become 1 flesh?i quoted 1corinthians 11;3 to show d hierarchy of headship startin from woman to man to Jesus to God almighty, oneness does nt indicate bein co equal but shows d relationship Jesus had wit his Father, they were always in agreement, no day did Jesus rebel against Gods arrangement, then how would u explain the oneness d same Jesus talked about @ john17:20 & 21, this scripture should clearly explain and help change ur view as to oneness weneva its used in the bible, i quote "i pray that they may all be 1, Father!, may they be in us,just as you are in me & i am in you.may they be 1,so that d world will believ that u sent me", these are words from d mouth of Jesus, if u want to explain oneness from d human standpoint and d trinity perspective then u might as well say we all are part of the trinity with God & Jesus, you can as well change it to billionity , d truth is before u make conclusions on doctrines its better u fully read other scriptures so as nt to be confronted wit contradictions, Jesus used idioms,hyperbole and even illustrations to drive home points to his listeners, let me also tel u dat d bible explains itself, all u hav to do is read it over and over again nt holdin to a church tradition, thanks, and gather as much translations of d bible as u can becos u'l need it, Jehovahs witnesses do a lot of research work to make sure of d things we believ in & to make sure they conform wit d bible, i just want u to pik up another translation and read that 1john5:7&8, please do ,,,thanks bro
Re: Will I Be Making A Mistake By Becoming A Jehovah's Witness? by sesan99(m): 11:42am On Nov 08, 2011
is good decision u abt to make and it will change ur life for good,
Re: Will I Be Making A Mistake By Becoming A Jehovah's Witness? by member479760: 11:45am On Nov 08, 2011
yes
Re: Will I Be Making A Mistake By Becoming A Jehovah's Witness? by Megateq(m): 12:18pm On Nov 08, 2011
femi4:

"I and my father, we are one and no one comes to the Father except through me"
"I am the Way, the Truth and the Life."
"In the begining was the word, and the word was with God, and the word was God"
"And the word became flesh and make his dwelling among us,full of grace and truth."
Finally, you can read 1st Jn 5:7 to understand the mystry of trinity according to John beloved

If that is the case, then how would you explain Colossians 1:15;(Who is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of every creature) KJV, If you are saving God and Jesus are equal, how come then did Jesus has beginning but God ,The Creator of Heavens and Earth does not
Re: Will I Be Making A Mistake By Becoming A Jehovah's Witness? by k10: 12:23pm On Nov 08, 2011
Why don't you try to know God for yourself instead of trying to be part of a denomination, take out time to read the bible and ask God to interpret it to you, even paul took out time to know Jesus better instead of going to peter etc to explain.
Re: Will I Be Making A Mistake By Becoming A Jehovah's Witness? by freecocoa(f): 12:29pm On Nov 08, 2011
firestar:

Good morning freecocoa.
May I ask whether you have requested for someone to study with you?
You must have thought long and hard regarding your decision, but you just need to be absolutely sure, right?

www.watchtower.org

I've been thinking about it for a long time though I've never opened up to anyone till now,I haven't requested to study with anyone,I just need to make sure I am on the right path.
Re: Will I Be Making A Mistake By Becoming A Jehovah's Witness? by cyril10(m): 12:33pm On Nov 08, 2011
My kandid advice to you is for you to seek the face of God, by this you will get to know what is the truth, the Lord says that without me you can do nothing and non can get anything except it be given him by God.

You are confused and you want to go further into real confusion by reading and listening to their message, flee for your life, if truely you want your soul saved from the impending judgment of God.

I will advice you to truelly seek God sincerely, dont get yourself entangled by the error of others who are already lost. I can see you truely need God but you seem not to know what to do, in this condition, i will advice you pray to God with a true heart without any further confusion from the jehovah's witnesses they do not have anything godly to offer you, that is the truth. REJECT FALSE TEACHERS AND TEACHINGS FOR THE SAKE OF YOUR SOUL.
Re: Will I Be Making A Mistake By Becoming A Jehovah's Witness? by quest55(m): 12:36pm On Nov 08, 2011
Grassroot:

Belief is a very powerful force, and if you choose to join any religion, the best approach is to completely believe -- close your mind. Only that way can you find relative happiness. Because, if you continue to search for this truth by seeking peoples opinions, you would end up in total confusion because everyone has a personal concept of truth. This is what JW help you do. They give you logical explanations of the bible, call it truth, and ask you to shun whatever. To be sincere, you would be very happy if you are able to accept this. As a JW, you would be confined to their teachings and you are not "scripturally permitted" to consider other beliefs. If you dont have that kind of mind, I mean if are "humble" enought to receive instructions from the society without questioning, you would be happy as a JW. As a JW, even if you question, you must do it within the confines of the society's teachings, or you risk being disfellowshipped.

I'll advise you to read the books: Crisis of Conscience and A Search for Religious Freedom. IMO, they would give you objective history abt JW. If after reading, you are willing to continue. You would be very happy as a JW. I must warn you because they might be dangerous books. I doubt if any true JW can read such books since they are classified as apostate doctrines. But if you are a true seeker of truth, you would want to know about the history of what u consider truth. Reading them will give you two sides to the story and you can make your choice. I'll restate it in clear terms, the moment you agree to be a JW, you close your mind to all other teachings. Have you ever wondered why JWs cant attend other churches? (they can be banned for this act). And if you decide to leave, you risk your happiness with guilt that many cannot recover from.

That said, JW are fine people and they are "cleaner" than most other churches. I dont think they are perfect.

99% truth + 1% poison is still poison. Your summaries are biased and misleading but worst of all  FALSE.
Re: Will I Be Making A Mistake By Becoming A Jehovah's Witness? by Naledi14(f): 12:42pm On Nov 08, 2011
Isnt it funny how people are using the same bible to prove it eachother wrong? ? To anyone seeking god ask him directly and i promise he will respond people should really try growing spiritualy instead of religiously organised religion can really mislead some people.
Re: Will I Be Making A Mistake By Becoming A Jehovah's Witness? by confetti(f): 12:46pm On Nov 08, 2011
Verses saying Jesus is God:

Heb. 1:8
God the Father called the Son "God."

Isa. 9:6
The "child" is called the "Mighty God."

Mt. 1:23,

Is. 7:14
Jesus is called Immanuel, which means "God with us."

John. 1:1
Jesus (the "Word"wink is called "God."

1 Tim. 3:16
Paul said Jesus was God "manifested in the flesh."

Col. 2:8.9
Paul said Jesus was the "fullness of the Godhead bodily.

John. 20:28
Thomas said to Jesus, "…my God."

Titus 2:13
Paul called Jesus "the great God."

Phil. 2:5,6
Paul said Jesus didn’t feel it was wrong to be considered "equal with God."

John 5:18
The Jews wanted to kill Jesus because He was "making Himself equal with God."

John 10:30
Jesus said, "I and the Father are one."

Gen. 1:1;

Col. 1:16
The Bible said God created all things and that Jesus created all things.

Mic. 5:2
The messiah (Jesus) had always been in existence.

Isa. 44:6; Rev. 1:2,8, 11,13
God claimed to be the "First and the Last." So did Jesus. God clearly states that He is the only savior. The Bible also says Jesus is our savior.

Verses saying the Father is God:
John. 8:41   "The only Father we have is God Himself."
Eph. 4:6   " … one God and Father of all …"

Verses saying the Holy Spirit is God:
Acts 5:3,4   "… you have lied to the Holy Spirit … you have not lied to men, but to God."
Acts 28:25,26 Referring to Isaiah 6:9,10,  Peter said the "Holy Spirit" spoke to the prophet Isaiah.  In the book of Isaiah, it says the "Lord" spoke to the prophet Isaiah.
1 Cor. 3:16   "Don’t you know you are God’s temple and that God’s Spirit lives in you?"

Verses saying there is only one God:
Mk. 12:32   "You are right in saying God is one and there is no other but him."
Mk. 12:29   "The Lord our God, the Lord is one."
1 Tim. 2:5   "For there is one God …"
1 Cor. 8:4   " … and there is no God but one."
Gal. 3:20   " … but God is one."
James 2:19   "You believe there is one God. Good! …"
Ps. 86:10   " … you alone are God."
Deut. 6:4,5   "The Lord our God, the Lord is one …"
Isa. 44:8   "Is there another God besides me?"
Isa. 45:21   "There is no God apart from me … there is none but me."
Isa. 45:22 "For I am God and there is no other."
Isa. 46:9   "I am God, and there is no other"
Isa. 45:5   "I am the Lord, and there is no other; apart from me there is no God."
Isaiah 45:18   "I am the Lord, and there is no other."
Mal. 2:10 "Did not one God create us?"
Re: Will I Be Making A Mistake By Becoming A Jehovah's Witness? by confetti(f): 12:46pm On Nov 08, 2011
Facts You Should Know About Jehovah's Witnesses

© Gospel Truth Ministries, 1340 Monroe Ave., NW, Grand Rapids, MI 49505
Posted with permission.
Jehovah's Witnesses.

Almost everyone knows of their aggressive door-to-door proselytizing. The organization they represent, known as the Watchtower Bible & Tract Society (WTB&TS), emphasizes end time prophecy and has falsely predicted the end of the world many times. The WTB&TS exercises rigid control over Jehovah's Witnesses (JWs) and prohibits their participation in such common activities as taking blood transfusions, celebrating birthdays or holidays (including Christmas, Easter, and Mother's Day), voting, flag saluting, and military service. Through these restrictions, the WTB&TS builds a wall of isolation between Jehovah's Witnesses and the rest of society.
JW History

The Watchtower Bible and Tract Society boldly claims to be the only organization God is using today to teach His truth and speak for Him. ' According to the WTB&TS, all non-JWs will be destroyed at Armageddon, an event of divine judgment it threatens is just around the corner. The WT Society prints over 14 million copies of its magazines every week, and has over 4 million Jehovah's Witnesses spreading its doctrines in 200 countries. What follows are some essential facts everyone should know about the history and doctrine of the Jehovah's Witnesses.
Borrowed Beliefs and Doctrines

Charles T. Russell (1852- 1916) founded the JW movement. As a teenager he rejected his Presbyterian roots, joined a more liberal Congregational Church, then left this group as well. He denied the deity of Christ and the biblical teachings on hell and eternal punishment. Russell had no formal Bible training, but borrowed and built upon various teachings that were popular at the time. For example, Adventism influenced his denial of hell, and a splinter Adventist group led by N.H. Barbour aroused his interest in endtime prophecies. From Barbour he borrowed the belief that Christ returned invisibly to the world in 1874, and that 1914 was the year the world would be destroyed and the Millennium would begin.
Fantastic Claims

In 1879 Russell started his own magazine, Zion's Watchtower and Herald of Christ's Presence (now known as The Watchtower), to promote his doctrines. People were drawn to Russell's sensational endtime predictions, and the organization grew.

In spite of his lack of formal training in theology or biblical languages, Russell claimed to be the only one with the truth, and he vigorously condemned all other Christian religions. As a result, ministers of various denominations began exposing Russell's false teachings and questionable character.
Flawed Character

Rev. J.J. Ross published a pamphlet that exposed Russell's false claims and doctrines. He revealed that Russell "never attended the higher schools of learning; knows comparatively nothing of philosophy, systematic or historical theology; and is totally ignorant of the [biblical] languages [i.e. Hebrew and Greek]". Ross concluded that Russell's teaching was "anti-rational, anti-scientific, anti-Biblical, [and] anti-Christian." Russell unsuccessfully tried to stop circulation of this damaging information by suing Rev. Ross for defamatory libel. However, he not only lost the suit, but in the process perjured himself in court when he lied under oath about his knowledge of the Greek language. In the end Russell admitted the statements about himself in the pamphlet were true.5

In 1906 Russell ' s wife successfully sued for divorce because of "his conceit, egotism, domination and improper conduct in relation to other women," and won a settlement of $6,036. The court severely censured Russell and called his conduct "insulting," "domineering" and "overbearing" to a degree which made life intolerable to a sensitive Christian woman.

In 1913, Russell unsuccessfully sued The Brooklyn Daily Eagle for libel when that paper exposed his fraudulent attempts to sell ordinary wheat at the exorbitant price of $60 a bushel, claiming it was "Miracle Wheat.''
Failed Prophecies

Despite these setbacks, Russell continued to attract people with his fantastic prophetic interpretations and dramatic warnings that Armageddon would strike in 1914. When 1914 came and went, he changed the date to 1915. Russell died in 1916, leaving his followers doubting and disillusioned by his predictive failures. Joseph Franklin Rutherford then took control of the organization.
Prophecy For Profit

Rutherford (1869-1942) also used the threat of Armageddon to intimidate JWs. He published The Finished Mystery, a book which predicted that in 1918 God would destroy churches and millions of their members, and claimed that by 1920 every kingdom would be swallowed up in anarchy. Rutherford taught that the only way to escape the impending judgment and destruction was to join the Watchtower organization.

Fear of Armageddon motivated Witnesses to work hard selling Rutherford's books and other Watchtower Society literature. When the 1918 and 1920 predictions failed, Rutherford set a new date in his book titled Millions Now Living Will Never Die (1920). It taught that the millennium would start in 1925 and that Old Testament saints like Abraham, Isaac, Jacob and David would come back to life. The WT Society even built a luxurious Spanish mansion called Beth-Sarim (House of Princes), supposedly to house these patriarchs. In the meantime, however, Rutherford conveniently moved , into the mansion. He also drove an expensive new car throughout the Great Depression, while rank and file JWs sold Watchtower books and pamphlets door-to-door, and worked at Bethel headquarters for $10 - $15 a month. Six years after Rutherford's death in 1942, the Old Testament saints still had not arrived, so the Society quietly sold "Beth Sarim," thus closing an embarrassing chapter in their predictive history.
Tampering With The Bible

Under the leadership of Nathan H. Knorr (1905-1977) the WT Society put away date setting for a time and switched to a different strategy. Since many of their teachings could be refuted by key verses in the King James Bible, Knorr set out to publish a different Bible for JWs to use. Called the New World Translation (NWT), it blatantly altered many verses to support Watchtower doctrine. The single best example of this is John 1: 1, which in the King James Version clearly declares Jesus' deity-"the Word was God." JWs deny the deity of Christ, so the NWT renders this phrase "the Word was a god." The translation committee responsible for the NWT was kept anonymous, undoubtedly to cover up their complete lack of scholarly qualifications. None of the men who worked on this project had any formal training in the biblical languages, except for Frederick Franz. He was chairman of the committee and had studied Greek for two years at the University of Cincinnati without graduating, and was only self-taught in Hebrew. After Knorr's death, Franz became the Watchtower Society's new President.
Intimidation And A Lack Of Integrity

From 1960 to 1966 the organization's growth rate slowed considerably. At this point the WTB&TS introduced a new book and a new date for the end of the world. Life Everlasting in the Freedom of the Sons of God (1966) by Vice President Franz (1894-1992 ) concluded that the autumn of 1975 would mark the beginning of the seventh period of human history. The Society was careful to avoid printing an outright prediction, but the message was clear to Jehovah's Witnesses everywhere-Armageddon was coming soon. Some even sold their homes and property in 1974 and were praised by their leaders for doing so.

Membership grew by the thousands until 1975 came and went. Then many people realized God was not leading the WT Society and left the organization. The leaders of the WTB&TS refused to admit they had been wrong about 1975, and instead told disillusioned JWs to "adjust their viewpoint."

Today many people are unaware of these damaging facts, and the Witnesses continue to grow in number, publishing massive amounts of deceptive literature. The WT Society demands complete loyalty and still predicts Armageddon is coming soon with sure annihilation for anyone who does not join the organization or leaves its ranks. In spite of a history marred by manipulation and false prophecies, the WT Society still claims to be the only one teaching the truth.
Testing the Watchtower Prophet

The Bible warns us that many false prophets will come claiming to speak for God (Matthew 7:15; 1John 4: 1). Thankfully, it also provides a practical test for identifying false prophets. In Deuteronomy 18:21-22 we are told that anyone who claims to speak as a prophet of God and predicts something that does not come true is a false prophet. "And if thou say in thine heart, How shall we know the word which the LORD hath not spoken?

When a prophet speaketh in the name of the LORD, if the thing follow not, nor come to pass, that is the thing which the LORD hath not spoken, but the prophet hath spoken it presumptuously: thou shalt not be afraid of him."(KJV)

According to the Bible, one false prophecy makes the speaker a false prophet. By this test the Watchtower Society's prophecies concerning 1914, 1915, 1918, 1920, 1925 and 1975 prove beyond a doubt it is a false prophet and that we should turn away from this group's deceptive doctrines.
JW Doctrine

When an organization like the WTB&TS claims to be the only true religion and the sole source of correct Bible teaching, we must carefully examine their beliefs. If their doctrines are true, they will be found in the Bible, and their teachings will be consistent and unchanging year after year. Jehovah's Witnesses, however, deny or twist many of the Bible s basic teachings, and their beliefs conflict with those held by orthodox Christians down through the centuries. Consider the following comparisons.
Non-biblical Beliefs

The Nature of God. The Bible teaches that there is only one true God (Isa.43:10-11; 44:6,cool. Father, Son and Holy Spirit are identified as distinct Persons within the one Triune Godhead (Matt.3:16-17; 2 Cor.13:14). Throughout the New Testament the Son and the Holy Spirit, as well as the Father are separately identified as God. Each has divine attributes and acts as God (Son: Mark 2:5-12; John 20:28; Heb. l :8; Holy Spirit: Acts 5:3-4; 2 Cor. 3:17-18).

By contrast, the WTB&TS denies the triune nature of God and teaches that such a belief is inspired by Satan and teaches that Jehovah, the name of the one true God, corresponds only to God the Father. JWs also deny that Jesus is God (see next point). They deny the Holy Spirit is a person, and instead teach he is merely God's active force, similar to electricity.

Jesus Christ. The Bible teaches that Jesus Christ is God come in the flesh, and is the Creator of all things (John 1: 1 -3,14; Col.1: 16). While never less than God, at the appointed time He laid aside the glory He shared with the Father and took on a human nature ( John 17:3-5; Phil. 2:6-11; Col. 2:9). Following his death, Jesus Christ rose bodily from the grave, appeared to and was recognized in his body by over 500 people. This fact was crucial to both the preaching and faith of the early church (Luke 24:39; John 2:19-21; I Cor. 15:6, 14).

By contrast, the WTB&TS denies the deity of Jesus Christ and teaches that Jesus is a created being who existed as Michael the archangel before being born as a perfect man. JWs believe that after Jesus was buried, God disposed of his physical body. He was raised a spiritual creature and "materialized" to make himself visible. Now in heaven he is once again known as Michael the archangel.

Salvation. The Bible teaches that the atoning work of Christ alone provides the solution for man's sin problem. Jesus Christ took the personal sins of all men-past, present and future-in his own body on the tree (I Pet. 2:24), and as perfect God and perfect man he fully met the demands of Divine justice for us (Rom. 3:22-26). Therefore, any and all who receive him by simple faith (John 1:12; Acts 16:31), can be forgiven, declared righteous and restored to fellowship with God (2 Cor. 5:21; Heb. 7:24-26).

By contrast, the WTB&TS teaches that only an elite group of Witnesses, known as "the 144,000," or the "anointed ones" are presently credited with Christ's righteousness. Only the 144,000 are born again and expect to reign with Christ in heaven. For the vast majority of remaining JWs, known as the "other sheep" or the "great crowd," the atoning sacrifice of Christ only provides a chance at eternal life on earth.

The Bible also teaches that we are saved by grace alone apart from any self-righteous works (Eph.2:8-9). There is nothing we can do to contribute to our salvation because apart from Jesus Christ we are "dead in our sins" (Eph. 2:1,5).

By contrast, the WTB&TS teaches that salvation "will depend on one's works." A person must first "come to Jehovah ' s organization for salvation and then comply with everything they teach. In this way, a relationship with the Jehovah's Witnesses organization, rather than a personal relationship with Jesus Christ, is presented as the basis of salvation.

The Soul & Eternal Punishment. The Bible teaches that the human soul continues to exist consciously after death (Is.14:9-11; Luke 16:19-31;Rev 6:9-11). Those who have rejected God's gift of eternal life will suffer conscious eternal punishment (Matt. 25:41,46; Rev. 14:10,11; 20:10,15).

By contrast, the WTB&TS denies eternal punishment and teaches that the soul cannot exist apart from the body. JWs believe that death ends all conscious existence. Hell refers to the grave and those who are ultimately judged by God will be annihilated and simply cease to exist.

The Bible. The Bible teaches that the Holy Spirit's anointing enables individual Christians to understand God's Word and properly apply it to their lives ( I John 2:27).

By contrast the WTB&TS teaches that the Bible can only be interpreted by the Watchtower Society and no individual can learn the truth apart from them.
Contradictions & Flip-Flops

The WT Society claims to be Jehovah's organization and God's only channel of spiritual instruction for today. It stresses that the Bible is an "organizational book" and cannot be understood by individuals no matter how sincere they are. But how can we trust our eternal destiny to an organization that during its brief time in existence has accumulated such a woeful history of doctrinal contradictions and flip-flops? Consider the following examples of ever-changing Watchtower theology.

In 1975 the WTB&TS taught that the man who sows the seed in the parable of the mustard seed (Matthew 13) is Satan. Later that same year the WT Society taught that this sower was Jesus.

A similar incident occurred in 1978, when the WTB&TS identified the "Alpha and Omega" of Revelation 22:12-13 as Jehovah (that is, God the Father), and then five weeks later taught these verses referred to Jesus.

The Watchtower Society's failure to correctly interpret the Bible is most clearly seen in their doctrinal flip-flops. First they teach position A, then they change to position B, claiming God has given them "new light." Later on, however, they revert back to their old teaching (position A) and in some cases change once again to position B. Here are some examples.

Resurrection of the Men of Sodom

1879 - They will be resurrected.
1952 - They will not be resurrected.
1965 - They will be resurrected.
1988 - They will not be resurrected.

The 'Lord' in Romans 10:12-16

1903 - 'Lord' refers to Jesus.
1940 - 'Lord' refers to Jehovah.
1978 - 'Lord' refers to Jesus.
1980 - 'Lord' refers to Jehovah.

'Higher Powers' of Romans 13:1

1916 - 'Higher powers' refers to governments.
1943 - 'Higher powers' refers to Jehovah God & Jesus Christ.
1964 - 'Higher powers' refers to governments.
Conclusion

In light of the preceding facts, do we dare trust the Watchtower Bible & Tract Society? It has falsely prophesied the end of the world at least 6 times and uses these predictions to intimidate its followers. This group has repeatedly changed their doctrines and contradicted previously held beliefs, all while claiming that it alone has the truth. Is this consistent with God's perfection and holiness?

We do not intend to ridicule or belittle individual Jehovah's Witnesses; they are generally sincere dedicated people. In one sense they are more like lost sheep than ravenous wolves, for they have been deceived by an organization with a history of false prophecies and doctrines. JWs truly believe that if they leave the Watchtower Society they will be destroyed at Armageddon. They need our love and compassion Our desire for them, as for everyone else, is that they come to a true knowledge of what the Bible teaches, and the understanding that Jesus Christ alone can guarantee salvation. Only through a personal relationship with him can we receive forgiveness and eternal life.
Re: Will I Be Making A Mistake By Becoming A Jehovah's Witness? by freecocoa(f): 12:47pm On Nov 08, 2011
@ All,I know I can study the bible on my own and trust me I have but often times I get lost.
I can't do it all alone, even the bible encourages us to fellowship with other brethren,I need to grow spiritually and I know I can draw my strength from God and other believers,telling me not to belong to any church or religious group won't work for me,for sometime now,I've not attended or fellowshiped with brethren and I miss that sense of belonging.no man is an island hence my quest for where I can be sure I am not being led astray.
Re: Will I Be Making A Mistake By Becoming A Jehovah's Witness? by freshera: 12:48pm On Nov 08, 2011
[size=15pt]Freecocoa, Freecocoa, Freecocoa don't need to join any church to know God.

if everyone in the world decides to turn their back on God, won't you rather have a church in YOUR HOUSE?? remember NOAH.

Tell God, God you know I don't wanna add to my probs by joining a fake church so please direct me. Until I hear from you, I am staying in my house.

GOD WILL ANSWER, I AM 10000000000% SURE. IT TAKES PAINFUL  AND PLENTY PLENTY PRAYERS BUT HE WILL ANSWER. GBA BE.

now, i don't know about JWs but what i know is that it is good for you to take donated blood. nothing we eat or take in is clean but ONLY the blood of Jesus sanctifies. God said we will eat poison but not die. so if you need to take donated blood, take it and sanctify yourself.

E.G. inorganic food causes cancer yet i eat it everyday and pray for mercy. can't afford organic.

also the bible clearly says GOD the father GOD the son GOD the holy ghost. ALL THREE ARE GOD.

GOOGLE THE VERSE.

the word of God was not there in the beginning. KING JAMES OF ENGLQAND COMMISSIONED PEOPLE TO WRITE it yet it is referred to as GOD.

remember, GOD IS THE BEGINNING, THE MIDDLE AND THE END.

so shine your eyes AND WASTE NOT YOUR DESTINY IN A fake church.   Not saying JW is fake oh.[/size]
Re: Will I Be Making A Mistake By Becoming A Jehovah's Witness? by Grassroot: 12:53pm On Nov 08, 2011
quest55:

99% truth + 1% poison is still poison. Your summaries are biased and misleading but worst of all  FALSE.

@quest55, in what ways are my summaries biased and false? I challenge you to proove that. JWs belong to a very closed religious group. If as a JW, you discover something in the bible that does not conform to the society's teachings, can you challenge what they teach? Can you apply independent thought without considering the society's teachings? Or are you telling me that all their teachings are correct? I dont want to debate this. Just tell me where I am wrong::::

Grassroot:

Belief is a very powerful force, and if you choose to join any religion, the best approach is to completely believe -- close your mind. Only that way can you find relative happiness. Because, if you continue to search for this truth by seeking peoples opinions, you would end up in total confusion because everyone has a personal concept of truth. This is what JW help you do. They give you logical explanations of the bible, call it truth, and ask you to shun whatever. To be sincere, you would be very happy if you are able to accept this. As a JW, you would be confined to their teachings and you are not "scripturally permitted" to consider other beliefs. If you dont have that kind of mind, I mean if are "humble" enought to receive instructions from the society without questioning, you would be happy as a JW. As a JW, even if you question, you must do it within the confines of the society's teachings, or you risk being disfellowshipped.

I'll advise you to read the books: Crisis of Conscience and A Search for Religious Freedom. IMO, they would give you objective history abt JW. If after reading, you are willing to continue. You would be very happy as a JW. I must warn you because they might be dangerous books. I doubt if any true JW can read such books since they are classified as apostate doctrines. But if you are a true seeker of truth, you would want to know about the history of what u consider truth. Reading them will give you two sides to the story and you can make your choice. I'll restate it in clear terms, the moment you agree to be a JW, you close your mind to all other teachings. Have you ever wondered why JWs cant attend other churches? (they can be banned for this act). And if you decide to leave, you risk your happiness with guilt that many cannot recover from.

That said, JW are fine people and they are "cleaner" than most other churches. I dont think they are perfect.
Re: Will I Be Making A Mistake By Becoming A Jehovah's Witness? by Donshegxy10(m): 12:58pm On Nov 08, 2011
Megateq:

If that is the case, then how would you explain Colossians 1:15;(Who is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of every creature) KJV, If you are saving God and Jesus are equal, how come then did Jesus has beginning but God ,The Creator of Heavens and Earth does not
read colossians 1:1-19 with understanding, jesus christ is the image of the invisibile God, when God said lets make man in our own image, who do you think he was talking to.
Jesus christ has been existing from the beginning read john 1:1-14
verse 3 says without him nothing was made that was made
in verse 10: he was in the world and the world was made by him and the world knew him not
jesus christ does not have a beginning & end, it is jesus in flesh that has a beginning read verse 14: and the word was made flesh and dwelt among us. Read also col 1:16-17.
Re: Will I Be Making A Mistake By Becoming A Jehovah's Witness? by Dokai: 3:22pm On Nov 08, 2011
A lot of "Christians" interprete the bible differently. To be a Christian is to be Christ like. What u should do is study your bible well concentrating on Mathew, Mark, Luke and John and then Acts. Allow God to speak to u thru His Word(the Bible) and i can guarantee u, from there u will know which direction to move in
Re: Will I Be Making A Mistake By Becoming A Jehovah's Witness? by quest55(m): 3:27pm On Nov 08, 2011
@confetti,

your history is from an opposition or protestant ministry. History of JWs is documented in a book titled "JEHOVAH'S WITNESSES, Proclaimers of God's kingdom" published by the WATCHTOWER.
My big question is how come you never quoted from this source. The book is free. The book mentions their failures and corrections - 1914 etc - and how they continued with their faith in God. Lets examine 2 sides of a coin.
Re: Will I Be Making A Mistake By Becoming A Jehovah's Witness? by quest55(m): 3:28pm On Nov 08, 2011
@confetti,

your history is from an opposition or protestant ministry. History of JWs is documented in a book titled "JEHOVAH'S WITNESSES, Proclaimers of God's kingdom" published by the WATCHTOWER.
My big question is how come you never quoted from this source. The book is free. The book mentions their failures and corrections - 1914 etc - and how they continued with their faith in God. Lets examine 2 sides of a coin.
Re: Will I Be Making A Mistake By Becoming A Jehovah's Witness? by chmod777: 3:28pm On Nov 08, 2011
I HAVE THE FINAL ANSWER TO WHO JESUS IS
- Christianity means following ALL Christ's words, !!!!!!!!!!! then who did HE say he is ??

-Taken note of this confusion that people DID NOT know who he was including the 12 apostles, JESUS asked who DO YOU think I am, and Peter answered , complete yourself

then ask if Jesus accepted his answer as correct or NOT, I believe  that must be the right answer to WHOM JESUS was,IS and WILL EVER REMAIN.

Thanks

2 Likes

Re: Will I Be Making A Mistake By Becoming A Jehovah's Witness? by Kmaster2010(m): 3:33pm On Nov 08, 2011
u guys don't have to fight over this tins, God is simple and the bible is simple also, just accept Jesus Christ has your lord and savor, read the bible, visit the church, peach to pple and just believe in the word, has am telling u some pple wont belive God exist till the end of there lives then they will being to regret
Re: Will I Be Making A Mistake By Becoming A Jehovah's Witness? by basadenet: 3:37pm On Nov 08, 2011
Yes, and going ahead will the worst mistake of your life. Are Jehovah Witness real Christians? because most of their behaviors are opposite of a real Christians. so run for our dear life now.
Re: Will I Be Making A Mistake By Becoming A Jehovah's Witness? by highland(m): 3:44pm On Nov 08, 2011
Review your believe and practice, then you will know where you belong.
Re: Will I Be Making A Mistake By Becoming A Jehovah's Witness? by lifestyle1(m): 3:44pm On Nov 08, 2011
No dear! Just ensure you do the right thing and be good to your fellow human.   kiss
Re: Will I Be Making A Mistake By Becoming A Jehovah's Witness? by Chrisbenogor(m): 3:57pm On Nov 08, 2011
Trust me freecocoa you are better off on your own that join any organised religion, you have shown that you can think for yourself. Dont stop there by joining people who will start doing the thinking for you. STAY ON YOUR OWN!
Re: Will I Be Making A Mistake By Becoming A Jehovah's Witness? by success4(m): 3:58pm On Nov 08, 2011
@freecocoa:
Good question but to be answered by so many people with little or no knowledge of God.

Here is my advice. DON'T JOIN JEHOVAH WITNESS, 

Kindly visit this site: http://www.livingseed.org
It is owned by Bro.Gbile Akanni, I bet you if you are really
tasty for God, you won't regret joining the disciple class
as the life of Jesus would be shown to you without hiding the truth.

And you shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you FREE, stay blessed!
Re: Will I Be Making A Mistake By Becoming A Jehovah's Witness? by mobf: 4:02pm On Nov 08, 2011
Oga Seun and first lady mukina,please if you can move this to the front page,I will be very thankful as I need more responses,its really important to me

So you would actually make a decision regarding your faith and beliefs based on polls? smh,
Re: Will I Be Making A Mistake By Becoming A Jehovah's Witness? by fireprunej(m): 4:16pm On Nov 08, 2011
This is a very interest post and I must confess I have been there before. I only want to advise that you should know that there are type 1 and type 2 errors in justice and judgement; Type 1: Failure to punish a guilty offender;Type2: Punishing an innocent soul. It is preferable to commit type 1 error rather than type 2. Now in religion or relationship with God, living life and carrying belief system that teaches that hell does not exist really and there is no punishment to sinners and unrepentant souls is a type of type 2 error while type 1 is living your only known life now in the consciousness of the reality of heaven and hell. Now, I we all get to the other side of life after closing our eyes in death and only finds that there is no hell or heaven after all, it won't really matter much to one with a belief in the reality of heaven and hell. What happens to the other fellow who says there is no hell or heaven when ultimately after death, he find out that hell is real, it would have been too late. Jehovah witnesses, seven day Adventist and other christian or non christian groups that believe that heaven and hell are not real or hold the belief that once saved, you are forever saved such as Christ Embassy, are indirect agents of satan recruiting men/women for eternal damnation with the devil and his fallen angels. The truth is, "It is appointed onto man once to die and after this judgement" - Heb 9:27. God or Jehovah has no beginning of days nor end of life. However, man has beginning but has endless life either spendable in the presence of God (heaven wherever that will be located does not matter or hell 'outside /devoid of the presence of God' wherever this will be does not matter). Summary: Have a genuine unbreakable relationship with God, fellowship with people of like mind, run from sin like a plague, live your life now and hold to belief that heaven and hell are real till the very end. May the Lord give you understanding as he appeared to me and gave me personal revelation of what I have just shared.

1 Like

Re: Will I Be Making A Mistake By Becoming A Jehovah's Witness? by freecocoa(f): 4:23pm On Nov 08, 2011
mobf:

Oga Seun and first lady mukina,please if you can move this to the front page,I will be very thankful as I need more responses,its really important to me

So you would actually make a decision regarding your faith and beliefs based on polls? smh,

Hey take it easy and you can stop SYH now,I'm yet to make a decision,a poll is not what's gonna decide that,this is more like discussing an idea with people,since when is that a dumb move?
Re: Will I Be Making A Mistake By Becoming A Jehovah's Witness? by Lobolintin(m): 4:25pm On Nov 08, 2011
The religion is ok,

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

What Practice Do You Hate In A Particular Church? / Nigerian Top 100 Pastors / The Evil Apple: Did Adam And Eve Really Eat An Apple?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 137
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.