Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,057 members, 7,818,172 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 09:26 AM

Will I Be Making A Mistake By Becoming A Jehovah's Witness? - Religion (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Will I Be Making A Mistake By Becoming A Jehovah's Witness? (24122 Views)

Diary Of A Jehovah's Witness / Jehovah's Witness Dies After Rejecting Blood Transfusion / Micheal Jacksons Life As A Jehovah's Witness (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Will I Be Making A Mistake By Becoming A Jehovah's Witness? by viruz007(m): 11:44am On Nov 09, 2011
@freecocoa i admire your decision. Am not going to criticize any denomination here but ama point out a couple of things to you and offer you an invitation to were i worship.

My best friend is a witness so i know what they do. One issue they have wrong is the issue of the Holy Communion. They take it once a year meanwhile we are instructed to take it upon every 1st day of the week which happens to be Sunday. You can check the book of Acts 20:7.

I agree with them on the non-celebration of Xmas and Easter as those dates are not significant to you as a Christ follower(Christian). Xmas is said to be the DOB of Christ but if you do ur research you would find out that period falls during winter and the bible states that Jesus was born when the shepherds were out tending to their flock, something not possible in winter. The occasions we are asked to celebrate Christ id through the Holy Communion to remember his death.

Witnesses have said the world will end in 1914 yet nothing happened and that belief that 144,000 will only go to heaven is total BULLCRAP.

The GOD i know gave us steps to live and make heaven and i list 'em here below:

- Hear the Word
- Believe the Word
- Repent of your sins
- Confess Jesus as ur Lord and Personal Saviour
- Be Baptized i.e ur fully immersed into a body of water not being sprinkled water or anytin that the call baptisms this days *sighs*
- Go to a bible believing Church were you get to hear the Word of God, give of your means, break bread and drink the cup and fellowship with your brethren in sweet wonderful fellowship.
- Live a life worthy of emulation. Be conformed to the likeness of Christ and i assure you your well on the way to making heaven, wink

I attend the "CHURCH OF CHRIST". Lemme knw were you at and i could get you the address of one so that you can visit so that you can clear the doubts in your heart. U can contact me personally @ 30530CCC. datz my bb pin or mail me @ darksaint007atgmaildotcom smiley cool
Re: Will I Be Making A Mistake By Becoming A Jehovah's Witness? by joinnow: 11:45am On Nov 09, 2011
Features of True Religion
Consider the practices and teachings of first-century Christians:
▪ They looked to God’s Word as their guide.—2 Timothy 3:16; 2 Peter 1:21.
▪ They taught that Jesus was God’s Son, distinct from God himself and subordinate to Him.—1 Corinthians 11:3; 1 Peter 1:3.
▪ They taught that the dead will return to life by means of a future resurrection.—Acts 24:15.
▪ They were known overall for the love that prevailed among themselves.—John 13:34, 35.
▪ They did not worship merely as individuals but were organized into congregations and were united under overseers and a central body of elders that looked to Jesus as Head.—Acts 14:21-23; 15:1-31; Ephesians 1:22; 1 Timothy 3:1-13.
▪ They were zealous preachers of God’s Kingdom as mankind’s only hope.—Matthew 24:14; 28:19, 20; Acts 1:8.
JW
Re: Will I Be Making A Mistake By Becoming A Jehovah's Witness? by joinnow: 11:47am On Nov 09, 2011
Does God approve of all worship?
▪ Jesus’ heart went out to people who had been deceived by false religion. He warned of “false prophets that come . . . in sheep’s covering, but inside they are ravenous wolves.” (Matthew 7:15) Have you noticed that some people use religion for evil ends?
Jesus said in prayer to God: “Your word is truth.” (John 17:17) So God disapproves of worship that contradicts the truth of the Bible. Therefore, to some religious hypocrites, Jesus applied the words of God that say: “It is in vain that they keep worshiping me, because they teach commands of men as doctrines.”—Matthew 15:9.
Is there a true religion?
▪ When Jesus met a woman in Samaria who had been deceived by false religion, he said to her: “You worship what you do not know . . . The true worshipers will worship the Father with spirit and truth, for, indeed, the Father is looking for suchlike ones to worship him.” (John 4:22, 23) Clearly, true worship can be found.
Jesus said: “I do nothing of my own initiative; but just as the Father taught me I speak these things.” So Jesus knew that the religion he taught was the only true one. (John 8:28) Therefore, he said: “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.” (John 14:6) Since true worshippers are united in one approach to the Father, they must be united in one true religion.
How can you recognize true worshippers?
▪ A Christian is one who follows Jesus Christ. Consider four ways in which imitating Jesus’ example clearly identifies his followers.
 1. Jesus Christ said in prayer to Jehovah: “I have made your name known.” (John 17:26) True Christians still do likewise.
 2. Jesus preached about Jehovah’s Kingdom and sent his disciples from house to house to do the same. He said: “Into whatever city or village you enter, search out who in it is deserving.” Later, he told his followers: “Go therefore and make disciples of people of all the nations.” (Matthew 10:7, 11; 28:19) You can easily recognize true Christians today because they continue the same work.
 3. Jesus refused to take sides in politics. Thus, he said of his followers: “They are no part of the world, just as I am no part of the world.” (John 17:14) True worshippers should be well-known for their political neutrality.
 4. Jesus was self-sacrificing in his love for others. He said: “By this all will know that you are my disciples, if you have love among yourselves.” (John 13:35) True Christians care for one another and take no part in wars.
How can true worship benefit you?
▪ To practice true worship, you first need to know Jehovah well. Knowledge of God will enable you to pursue the best way of life and will fill your heart with love for God. Jehovah promised life without end to those who love him. Thus, Jesus said: “This means everlasting life, their taking in knowledge of you, the only true God.”—John 17:3.
Re: Will I Be Making A Mistake By Becoming A Jehovah's Witness? by joinnow: 11:50am On Nov 09, 2011
Worship That God Approves
Are all religions pleasing to God?
How can we identify the true religion?
Who are God’s true worshipers on earth today?
JEHOVAH GOD deeply cares for us and wants us to benefit from his loving direction. If we worship him in the right way, we will be happy and will avoid many problems in life. We will also have his blessing and his help. (Isaiah 48:17) There are, however, hundreds of religions that claim to teach the truth about God. Yet, they differ greatly in their teachings about who God is and what he expects of us.
2 How can you know the right way to worship Jehovah? You do not have to study and compare the teachings of all the many religions. You need only learn what the Bible really teaches about true worship. To illustrate: In many lands, there is a problem with counterfeit money. If you were given the job of picking out such false money, how would you go about it? By memorizing every kind of counterfeit? No. Your time would be better spent if you studied real money. After you knew what real money looked like, you could recognize a counterfeit. Similarly, when we learn how to identify the true religion, we can recognize those religions that are false.
3 It is important that we worship Jehovah in the way that he approves. Many people believe that all religions are pleasing to God, but the Bible does not teach that. It is not even enough just to claim to be a Christian. Jesus said: “Not everyone saying to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter into the kingdom of the heavens, but the one doing the will of my Father who is in the heavens will.” To have God’s approval, therefore, we must learn what God requires of us and do it. Jesus called those who do not do God’s will “workers of lawlessness.” (Matthew 7:21-23) Like counterfeit money, false religion has no real value. Even worse, such religion is actually harmful.
4 Jehovah gives everyone on earth the opportunity to gain everlasting life. To have eternal life in Paradise, however, we must worship God properly and live now in a way that is acceptable to him. Sadly, many refuse to do so. That is why Jesus said: “Go in through the narrow gate; because broad and spacious is the road leading off into destruction, and many are the ones going in through it; whereas narrow is the gate and cramped the road leading off into life, and few are the ones finding it.” (Matthew 7:13, 14) True religion leads to everlasting life. False religion leads to destruction. Jehovah does not want any human to be destroyed, and that is why he is giving people everywhere an opportunity to learn about him. (2 Peter 3:9) Really, then, the way we worship God means either life or death for us.
HOW TO IDENTIFY THE TRUE RELIGION
5 How can ‘the road to life’ be found? Jesus said that the true religion would be evident in the lives of the people who practice it. “By their fruits you will recognize them,” he said. “Every good tree produces fine fruit.” (Matthew 7:16, 17) In other words, those who practice the true religion would be recognized by their beliefs and their conduct. Although they are not perfect and they make mistakes, true worshipers as a group seek to do God’s will. Let us consider six features that identify those who practice true religion.
6 God’s servants base their teachings on the Bible. The Bible itself says: “All Scripture is inspired of God and beneficial for teaching, for reproving, for setting things straight, for disciplining in righteousness, that the man [or woman] of God may be fully competent, completely equipped for every good work.” (2 Timothy 3:16, 17) To his fellow Christians, the apostle Paul wrote: “When you received God’s word, which you heard from us, you accepted it, not as the word of men, but, just as it truthfully is, as the word of God.” (1 Thessalonians 2:13) Hence, beliefs and practices of the true religion are not based on human views or tradition. They originate in God’s inspired Word, the Bible.
7 Jesus Christ set the proper example by basing his teachings on God’s Word. In prayer to his heavenly Father, he said: “Your word is truth.” (John 17:17) Jesus believed the Word of God, and everything he taught harmonized with the Scriptures. Jesus often said: “It is written.” (Matthew 4:4, 7, 10) Then Jesus would quote a scripture. Similarly, God’s people today do not teach their own ideas. They believe that the Bible is God’s Word, and they base their teachings firmly on what it says.
8 Those who practice the true religion worship only Jehovah and make his name known. Jesus declared: “It is Jehovah your God you must worship, and it is to him alone you must render sacred service.” (Matthew 4:10) Thus, God’s servants worship no one other than Jehovah. This worship includes letting people know what the name of the true God is and what he is like. Psalm 83:18 states: “You, whose name is Jehovah, you alone are the Most High over all the earth.” Jesus set the pattern in helping others to get to know God, as he said in prayer: “I have made your name manifest to the men you gave me out of the world.” (John 17:6) Similarly, true worshipers today teach others about God’s name, his purposes, and his qualities.
9 God’s people show genuine, unselfish love for one another. Jesus said: “By this all will know that you are my disciples, if you have love among yourselves.” (John 13:35) The early Christians had such love for one another. Godly love overcomes racial, social, and national barriers and draws people together in an unbreakable bond of true brotherhood. (Colossians 3:14) Members of false religions do not have such a loving brotherhood. How do we know that? They kill one another because of national or ethnic differences. True Christians do not take up weapons to kill their Christian brothers or anyone else. The Bible states: “The children of God and the children of the Devil are evident by this fact: Everyone who does not carry on righteousness does not originate with God, neither does he who does not love his brother. . . . We should have love for one another; not like Cain, who originated with the wicked one and slaughtered his brother.”—1 John 3:10-12; 4:20, 21.
10 Of course, genuine love means more than not killing others. True Christians unselfishly use their time, energy, and resources to help and encourage one another. (Hebrews 10:24, 25) They help one another in times of distress, and they deal honestly with others. In fact, they apply in their lives the Bible counsel to “work what is good toward all.”—Galatians 6:10.
11 True Christians accept Jesus Christ as God’s means of salvation. The Bible says: “There is no salvation in anyone else, for there is not another name under heaven that has been given among men by which we must get saved.” (Acts 4:12) As we saw in Chapter 5, Jesus gave his life as a ransom for obedient humans. (Matthew 20:28) In addition, Jesus is God’s appointed King in the heavenly Kingdom that will rule the entire earth. And God requires that we obey Jesus and apply his teachings if we want everlasting life. That is why the Bible states: “He that exercises faith in the Son has everlasting life; he that disobeys the Son will not see life.”—John 3:36.
12 True worshipers are no part of the world. When on trial before the Roman ruler Pilate, Jesus said: “My kingdom is no part of this world.” (John 18:36) No matter what country they live in, Jesus’ true followers are subjects of his heavenly Kingdom and thus maintain strict neutrality in the world’s political affairs. They take no part in its conflicts. However, Jehovah’s worshipers do not interfere with what others choose to do about joining a political party, running for office, or voting. And while God’s true worshipers are neutral regarding politics, they are law-abiding. Why? Because God’s Word commands them to “be in subjection” to the governmental “superior authorities.” (Romans 13:1) Where there is a conflict between what God requires and what a political system requires, true worshipers follow the example of the apostles, who said: “We must obey God as ruler rather than men.”—Acts 5:29; Mark 12:17.
13 Jesus’ true followers preach that God’s Kingdom is mankind’s only hope. Jesus foretold: “This good news of the kingdom will be preached in all the inhabited earth for a witness to all the nations; and then the end will come.” (Matthew 24:14) Instead of encouraging people to look to human rulers to solve their problems, true followers of Jesus Christ proclaim God’s heavenly Kingdom as the only hope for mankind. (Psalm 146:3) Jesus taught us to pray for that perfect government when he said: “Let your kingdom come. Let your will take place, as in heaven, also upon earth.” (Matthew 6:10) God’s Word foretold that this heavenly Kingdom “will crush and put an end to all these kingdoms [now existing], and it itself will stand to times indefinite.”—Daniel 2:44.
14 On the basis of what we have just considered, ask yourself: ‘What religious group bases all its teachings on the Bible and makes known Jehovah’s name? What group practices godly love, exercises faith in Jesus, is no part of the world, and proclaims that God’s Kingdom is the only real hope for mankind? Of all the religious groups on earth, which one meets all these requirements?’ The facts clearly show that it is Jehovah’s Witnesses.—Isaiah 43:10-12.
WHAT WILL YOU DO?
15 Simply believing in God is not enough to please him. After all, the Bible says that even the demons believe that God exists. (James 2:19) Obviously, though, they do not do God’s will and do not have his approval. To be approved by God, not only must we believe in his existence but we must also do his will. We must also break free from false religion and embrace true worship.
16 The apostle Paul showed that we must not take part in false worship. He wrote: “‘Get out from among them, and separate yourselves,’ says Jehovah, ‘and quit touching the unclean thing’; ‘and I will take you in.’” (2 Corinthians 6:17; Isaiah 52:11) True Christians therefore avoid anything that is connected with false worship.
17 The Bible shows that all the many forms of false religion are part of “Babylon the Great.” (Revelation 17:5) That name calls to mind the ancient city of Babylon, where false religion started up after the Flood of Noah’s day. Many teachings and practices now common in false religion originated long ago in Babylon. For example, the Babylonians worshiped trinities, or triads, of gods. Today, the central doctrine of many religions is the Trinity. But the Bible clearly teaches that there is only one true God, Jehovah, and that Jesus Christ is his Son. (John 17:3) The Babylonians also believed that humans have an immortal soul that survives the body after death and can suffer in a place of torment. Today, belief in the immortal soul or spirit that can suffer in hellfire is taught by most religions.
18 Since ancient Babylonian worship spread throughout the earth, modern Babylon the Great can properly be identified as the world empire of false religion. And God has foretold that this empire of false religion will come to a sudden end. (Revelation 18:cool Do you see why it is vital that you separate yourself from every part of Babylon the Great? Jehovah God wants you to “get out of her” quickly while there is still time.—Revelation 18:4.
19 As a result of your decision to quit practicing false religion, some may choose to stop associating with you. By serving Jehovah with his people, however, you will gain far more than you could ever lose. Like Jesus’ early disciples who left other things to follow him, you will come to have many spiritual brothers and sisters. You will become part of a large worldwide family of millions of true Christians, who show you genuine love. And you will have the wonderful hope of everlasting life “in the coming system of things.” (Mark 10:28-30) Perhaps in time, those who abandoned you because of your beliefs will look into what the Bible teaches and become worshipers of Jehovah.
20 The Bible teaches that God will soon bring an end to this wicked system of things and will replace it with a righteous new world under the rulership of his Kingdom. (2 Peter 3:9, 13) What a marvelous world that will be! And in that righteous new system, there will be only one religion, one true form of worship. Is it not the course of wisdom for you to take the necessary steps to come into association with true worshipers right now?
[Footnote]
For more information about why Babylon the Great represents the world empire of false religion, see the Appendix, pages 219-20.
WHAT THE BIBLE TEACHES
▪ There is only one true religion.—Matthew 7:13, 14.
▪ True religion is identified by its teachings and practices.—Matthew 7:16, 17.
▪ Jehovah’s Witnesses practice the worship that God approves.—Isaiah 43:10.
Re: Will I Be Making A Mistake By Becoming A Jehovah's Witness? by kpolli(m): 12:53pm On Nov 09, 2011
So u want to be closer to God and u wanna pick the religion that believes in paradise n no hell. . . . Personally advice u against that but its ur choice
Re: Will I Be Making A Mistake By Becoming A Jehovah's Witness? by quest55(m): 1:24pm On Nov 09, 2011
viruz007:

@freecocoa i admire your decision. Am not going to criticize any denomination here but ama point out a couple of things to you and offer you an invitation to were i worship.

My best friend is a witness so i know what they do. One issue they have wrong is the issue of the Holy Communion. They take it once a year meanwhile we are instructed to take it upon every 1st day of the week which happens to be Sunday. You can check the book of Acts 20:7.

I agree with them on the non-celebration of Xmas and Easter as those dates are not significant to you as a Christ follower(Christian). Xmas is said to be the DOB of Christ but if you do your research you would find out that period falls during winter and the bible states that Jesus was born when the shepherds were out tending to their flock, something not possible in winter. The occasions we are asked to celebrate Christ id through the Holy Communion to remember his death.

Witnesses have said the world will end in 1914 yet nothing happened and that belief that 144,000 will only go to heaven is total BULLCRAP.

- Hear the Word
- Believe the Word
- Repent of your sins
- Confess Jesus as your Lord and Personal Saviour
- Be Baptized i.e your fully immersed into a body of water not being sprinkled water or anytin that the call baptisms this days *sighs*
- Go to a bible believing Church were you get to hear the Word of God, give of your means, break bread and drink the cup and fellowship with your brethren in sweet wonderful fellowship.
- Live a life worthy of emulation. Be conformed to the likeness of Christ and i assure you your well on the way to making heaven, wink

I attend the "CHURCH OF CHRIST". Lemme knw were you at and i could get you the address of one so that you can visit so that you can clear the doubts in your heart. U can contact me personally @ 30530CCC. datz my bb pin or mail me @ darksaint007atgmaildotcom smiley cool
even here you are deceiving yourself saying you arenot out to criticize but ended up condeming and condemed!

Even Jesus prophecies abt the endtimes NEVER came to pass in the eyes of half-educated brethren like you claiming to believe the new testament but attacking his annoited ones.

My prayer for you: may the lord grant you deep knowledge of the deep things of GOD the father
Re: Will I Be Making A Mistake By Becoming A Jehovah's Witness? by quest55(m): 1:31pm On Nov 09, 2011
"Church of christ" ROTFLMAO
Re: Will I Be Making A Mistake By Becoming A Jehovah's Witness? by MyJoe: 2:12pm On Nov 09, 2011
kabasa77:
@ My Joe, Please Sir kindly point out the areas that are wrong in my post and as for the divinity part,do you know the definition of the word DIVINITY?   Everything i wrote about the doctrines of JW is true and am waiting to read otherwise

Ok.

1. “The Witnesses don’t believe in the Divinity of Jesus.” This is wrong. The way I understand it, they believe Jesus is not the same person as God the Father, but that he is (i) the son of God (ii) came from heaven (iii) is godlike, that is, has the nature of God (iv) is a god. Now, that’s how “divine” you get.
On whether angels are divine or not, I don’t like quibbling over words very much. While we can debate that, it will not add or remove anything from what I just wrote above.

2. “Trinity”. You are right on this one. But you seriously want to tell someone Witnesses are not following the Bible and you bring up Trinity? Sure you can argue Trinity into one or two verses of the Bible, but you will only get away with it if there is no 5 y/o Witness around to ply you with 10 scriptures countering the doctrine.

3. “They reject the concept of heaven and hell.” This is wrong. They accept the concept of heaven and hell.

4. “They believe heaven is meant for only 144,000 with everyone else damned. This is also wrong. They believe heaven is meant for God, Jesus, the angels and 144,000 humans. They believe the rest of the good people will enjoy in a paradise earth.

5. “They share brotherly love.” This point is not entirely true. The Witnesses appear to share a conditional kind of love. But, yeah, from a distance, all that glitters may be gold.

Image123:
Here comes MyJoe, the defender of the universe.
Lol. If I didn’t dislike titles so much I would have considered this one.

I thank God there are no 5year olds on NL, what a relief.
Don't be so sure.

quest55:
99% truth + 1% poison is still poison. Your summaries are biased and misleading but worst of all  FALSE.
Would you be so kind to point out a single biased and misleading point in the post under question?

olaolaking:
But Jehovah witnesses see it as a must for them to do as responce to Jesus order (go from house to house and teach people). What other way can a religion show that it is no part of the world. Jesu said it too. For the issue of TRINITY, HELL etc. Ask them about it and they will support whatever they say with bible. [i]They will buttress thier ponits with bible qutations with references. [/i]But ask other religious group why they beleve in trinity and they will not be able to explain using bible.
Bolded is a direct lie which you can’t support “with Bible quotations and references”. Nowhere did Jesus ask anyone to preach from house to house, is there?

Chrisbenogor:
Trust me freecocoa you are better off on your own that join any organised religion, you have shown that you can think for yourself. Dont stop there by joining people who will start doing the thinking for you. STAY ON YOUR OWN!
Unfortunately, there are people who can’t do without organized religion. We are raised to believe that you must belong to something. Most of us never get out of this thinking. The challenge then becomes how they can protect themselves from the crack salesmen of spiritual goods who go around with their bagful of pseudoscience and the religious highwaymen who hand out serpent when their flock ask for fish.
Re: Will I Be Making A Mistake By Becoming A Jehovah's Witness? by AnuYakubu(m): 2:20pm On Nov 09, 2011
Desire Kene Obi:

My dear, it sounds so much like you have made up your mind  to join them because you think they know the bible. As far as you are concern they are the only holy people who do the will of God, other churches are bad, and sinners who interpret the word of God to suit their goals. You have already judged and pronounced your verdict, but let me tell you, you are wrong. Jehovah's witness as you call them is considered a cult by many, if you like, join.
The reason why you think they know the bible so well and interpret it correctly is because you don't know the bible.
  How well do they interpret the bible when they teach that heaven is full and nobody can go to heaven, when Jesus said he is coming to take his people to heaven so that where he is there his people will also be.
When they come to preach to you tell them to pray first b/4 they start the teaching, you will see that they can never do it because is against their cult rules.
Bros, please consider the Jesus' guidelines in Matthew 6:1-8, before you start passing your judgement.
You said that they are holy, that they live by the word of God, ask them to tell you when they eat holy communion last, you will be shocked to know that they have not done that for a long time, ask them why they will tell you they're not qualified cos they are sinners(untrue).
I have so much to tell you but no time, am ready to be challenged by any of them. They bible says that this present earth will be destroyed by fire, they said no way, and you're telling me that they interpret bible well.Bros, if God destroys our planet earth, how will he fulfill his promise in  Psalms 37:9-11. Jesus said that we should pray for God's Kingdom to come, so that His will shall be done on earth as it is done in heaven Mathew 6:9-12. Does that make any sense to you?.
I use to reason on my own, if God was to destroy our planet earth, why hasn't he done that since Adam & Eve rebelled against him, and settle it all rather than prolonging and waiting on his creatures to be arguing whether he will do so or not? God has better plans for our planet earth than just destroy it, as a matter of fact he plans to destroy those ruining the earth(Revelation 11:18).

Please open your eyes o  
Re: Will I Be Making A Mistake By Becoming A Jehovah's Witness? by viruz007(m): 2:36pm On Nov 09, 2011
@ quest55 lol, for the name of the church go to Rom 16:16. I don't mince words. There are a few things witness got wrong and a few the got right. But remember that God does not compromise. Once he says move from Point A to B, follow A to B not moving from A to C to B. Got it?
Re: Will I Be Making A Mistake By Becoming A Jehovah's Witness? by quest55(m): 3:11pm On Nov 09, 2011
viruz007:

@ quest55 lol, for the name of the church go to Rom 16:16. I don't mince words. There are a few things witness got wrong and a few the got right. But remember that God does not compromise. Once he says move from Point A to B, follow A to B not moving from A to C to B. Got it?
God bless you. Every intro class for new evangelists I always ask this question: ARE WE IN THE "END TIME" THAT JESUS SPOKE ABOUT? The usual answer YEESSS!
Then I ask the next question '"WHEN DID THIS "END TIME" BEGIN?"'
Can any spirit filled annoited-one in NL help us out?
Re: Will I Be Making A Mistake By Becoming A Jehovah's Witness? by kindla(f): 3:34pm On Nov 09, 2011
Freecocoa, from what u hv heard abt witnesses, would u make a positive conclusion? Pls read the bible more than ever, the truth will sent u free as posited by Jesus.Quote from: kabasa77 on November 07, 2011, 09:11 AM
If you want to Join the witnesses,its totally your call but i will like point out some of their doctrines to you

Firstly,they do not Believe in the Divinity of Jesus saying that He is one of the Chief angels,that he was created by God thereby rejecting HIM as God,Secondly they also do not believe in the Trinity,thats God the Father,The Son and The Holy Ghost
Also the reject the whole concept of heaven and hell.

And also that the Holy Spirit is not a person but an 'active force' which is pure blasphemy, God forgive them

Lastly they believe that heaven is meant for only 144000 people,meaning we are all damed Grin

And that the world came to an end in 1914,

But one thing i do admire about them is the Brotherly love they share apart from that they just dont entice me

If you want to join any church,please do join the Seventh Day adventist, am not a member oo but their Doctrine is sound and you can google more about the Witnesses,and decide
Thank you

Can u realy and explicitly define d word trinity, just humbly do that, lets start from a poin, 1st of all dat word can never be found frm d hebrew and greek scriptures, and the xpression"God d father,God d son,God d holy spirit" can no where be found in d christian greek scriptures or d old testament, that expression is what makes trinity d teachin it is, :dat is why many who believ in d trinity cannot help bt conclude dat it is a mystery, becos they cant relate it with d bible, even Jesus himself never taught d doctrine"trinity",
The trinity teachin purports that the 3 persons involed are co-equal, does d bible teach that, does the bible teach that God(Jehovah),Jesus Christ and d holy spirit are equal with 1 another in rank,power and abilities, lets critically look @ what Jesus himself taught not what men teach, lets here from d bible, and 1 thing wit d witnesses is that we read d whole scripture to arrive @ a profound conclusion, join me in lookin @ these scriptures and see if it supports d trinity doctrine,

John14:28, Jesus there emphasized d fact that he is goin bak to his father and that d father is greater than he is,
John20:17, Jesus told mary that he is returnin to"my father & there father,my God & there God",
Jesus and all of us share d same father & God who is d almighty, Jesus never for once argued over who was greater, he respected & worshiped d same God that created both him and all of us,
1corinthians 11:3, apostle paul was inspired to write that d head of every man is Christ,in turn d head d woman is d man,in turn d head d christ is God,
Do u see d hierarchy??,
Then lets see what d apostle also said @ phillipians 2:5&6, altho Christ existed in d image of God he gave no consideration to a seizure,namely he shuld b equal to God, Jesus never had such thoughts of bein equal to his father, that will mean rebellion and presumpteousness,
remember d trinity teachn wasnt a doctrine dat existed wit 1st century christians, not until after d deaths of d apostles it became a doctrine, the apostles of Jesus were never trinitarians, Jesus himself never taught anytin close to bein part of a trinity, even pre-christians were unitarians, they believed in 1 God & dat never changed wit d rise of christianity, if u are catholic u culd get to a catholik encyclopedia and do a research on hw d teachn started, servants of God never worshiped gods in triads, it was in paganism dat it was rampant, lets read more scriptures, 1corinthians8:5&6, that scripture defines Jesus christ & Jehovah(God almighty) as seperate entities and it also taught oneness of almighty God,
Now what about d holy spirit
The holy spirit even disqualifies d teachn of d trinity, "3 persons in 1 God", the holy spirit is and was never a person, Jehovah & Jesus christ are spirit persons with there personalities , but d holy spirit in d bible has never been a person, and everytime isiah saw in a vision d glory of d heavens he only sees 2persons, he always sees Jesus sitin @ d right hand of his father(Jehovah), d holy spirit was always poured on people,served as a helper,came as a dove on Jesus, but never was it a person, and nt part of a trinity, and mind u we respect Jesus as d only begotten son of God his father & d saviour of all repentant mankind,and as our lord, he is d king of Gods kingdom,
, let me stop here for now, let me here your response,
Report to moderator Logged
numo86

Re: Will I Be Making A Mistake By Becoming A Jehovah's Witness?
« #22 on: Yesterday at 08:00:13 AM »

Quote from: freecocoa on November 07, 2011, 11:04 PM
@ All thank you for your contributions,I'm putting many things into consideration,well I never knew about the trinity part and if any witness in the house can break it down for me,I'll be most grateful,

The trinity teachin stems from d pagan worship of gods in triads and never has a biblical backin, d question 1 shuld b askin wenever a doctrine comes is where did it cme fromwhats its origindoes d bible support it??what did Jesus teach about itwhat about d early apostles?Huh?, the truth is wen u read d bible u'l independently even cme to your own conclusion dat God,Jesus & d holy spirit are nt part of a trinity, that is why it becomes a mystery to d originators of d doctrine , if Jesus himself never taught such teachns why are his followers propagatin it, even isaac newton after readin d bible clearly concluded and i quote "that trinitarians are idolaters for worshipin 3 gods", i'm gona quote scriptures u can read and see what d bible rili teaches,
**GOD IS NOT 3persons in 1
Deuteronomy6:4
Malachi 2:10
Mark10;18
Romans3:29&30
***Jesus was created,God was alone b4
Revelation 3:14
Colossians1:15
Isiah44:6
***Jesus inferior to Father b4 & afer comin to earth
john8:42
John12:49
**obedient on earth,his Father greater than him
John14:28
John5:19
***even wen exalted in heaven Jesus was still subject to his Father
Philipians2:9
1corinthians15:28
Matthew20:23
****Jehovah is christs head & God
1corinthians11:3
John20:17
Revelation1:5&6
*****Gods holy spirit is active force not a person
Matthew3:16
John20:22
Acts2:4,17,33
***holy spirit not a person in heaven wit God and Christ
Acts7:55&56
Revelation7:10
****those servin God today as humans recieve & are guided by it
1corinthians 2:12&13

All these scripture negates d doctrine of trinity,
It is simple 1+1+1=3 not equals to 1, and ofcus Jesus never taught it, please read those scriptures,
Re: Will I Be Making A Mistake By Becoming A Jehovah's Witness? by AnuYakubu(m): 3:38pm On Nov 09, 2011
viruz007:

"I have read thru that portion of the scripture because you quoted it, but I cannot understand that the food mentioned there is the one Jesus instructed us to observe. Please help me to understand this better."

I agree with them on the non-celebration of Xmas and Easter as those dates are not significant to you as a Christ follower(Christian). Xmas is said to be the DOB of Christ but if you do your research you would find out that period falls during winter and the bible states that Jesus was born when the shepherds were out tending to their flock, something not possible in winter. The occasions we are asked to celebrate Christ id through the Holy Communion to remember his death.

" where did u get that from? why do people like telling lies against JWs? which JW told u that the world will end in 1914? or is that what your pastor told you to make you persecute the JWs? have you read in any of thier publications that the world would end by 1914?
Sincerely you need to check yourself and possibly whoever had told you that. As for the 144,000 stuff, pls believe what you shall read in Rev 7:2-4 and Rev 5:9,10, and not what anyone else says.

- Hear the Word
- Believe the Word
- Repent of your sins
- Be Baptized i.e your fully immersed into a body of water not being sprinkled water or anytin that the call baptisms this days *sighs*

Re: Will I Be Making A Mistake By Becoming A Jehovah's Witness? by AnuYakubu(m): 3:43pm On Nov 09, 2011
viruz007:

"I have read thru that portion of the scripture because you quoted it, but I cannot understand that the food mentioned there is the one Jesus instructed us to observe. Please help me to understand this better."

" where did u get that from? why do people like telling lies against JWs? which JW told u that the world will end in 1914? or is that what your pastor told you to make you persecute the JWs? have you read in any of thier publications that the world would end by 1914?
Sincerely you need to check yourself and possibly whoever had told you that. As for the 144,000 stuff, pls believe what you shall read in Rev 7:2-4 and Rev 5:9,10, and not what anyone else says.

- Hear the Word
- Believe the Word
- Repent of your sins

Re: Will I Be Making A Mistake By Becoming A Jehovah's Witness? by quest55(m): 4:24pm On Nov 09, 2011
History of the apostles.
SCENE 1: All were selfish, trying to lobby God for the first position and has to be rebuked by the lord. Later the whole church abandoned him and fled while undergoing toture. CONCLUSION: XTIANS Must not believe or follow the words or direction of the apostles!!! !!!
Re: Will I Be Making A Mistake By Becoming A Jehovah's Witness? by quest55(m): 4:42pm On Nov 09, 2011
SCENE 2: After HIS death the apostles went back to their private businesses and when HE appeard to them thomas doubted him. They are deserters and doubters. CONCLUSION: XTIANS must not join the apostles because any who deny Jesus is not of GOD!

ROTF grin
Re: Will I Be Making A Mistake By Becoming A Jehovah's Witness? by ewoma1989(f): 6:20pm On Nov 09, 2011
to all my true christains brothers and sisters, there is no point tryin to prove a point,,,,,,,,,, wen we no dat, d god of ds sytem of things(gog of magog) has blinded there mind,

1 Like

Re: Will I Be Making A Mistake By Becoming A Jehovah's Witness? by hardbody: 6:25pm On Nov 09, 2011
A very insightful page and i must say quite some erudite presentations. I tend to want to ask, 'would it be correct to assume that most if not all those controverting reasonings of other religions are doing that just to entice freecocoa without really concerning themselves so much as to whether her choice will lead to happiness and a fulfilled life and life eternal in due course.

I am one of JW, and that is by choice. While i was born into the organisation, i grew up and typical of the prodigal son, i went the ways of the world and having rummaged through the garbage bins that there are, i have retraced my steps and now back NEVER to leave again. I have learnt that staright and narrow is the way and few are those that will find (and stay on it). I can imagine why teh entire world will say all sorts about JW. There was a certain misunderstanding about 1975 coinciding with some years of human kind from creation, people have severally posited that JW had claimed that the world will end then. Assuming (but not admitting) that this claim was ever made, would it not be easier to controvert this then by the simple bible account of Jesus noting that no one knows the day of the end, not even him the son, but only the father (another pointer that claims about trinity is spurious. considering that Jesus himself admitted to ignorance of somethings that are known only to his father). Furter to this Trinity claim, please can someone explain to me when Jesus was dying and prayed saying, father forgive them, who was he referring to, to himself? when after his baptism a voice recognized Jesus as my son in whom i am well pleased, could that have been who? I am not exactly interested in all these arguments, i am aware that the truth shall set whomsoever finds it free, it is up to freecocoa or whoever that decides to choose the way he wants to serve God. I have been able to see and provide bible based explanations to each and everyone that has sincerely sought a reason for my belief. I do know that in keeping with what Jesus said, the world will hate us because we are not part of it although we are taken from it. The surprise should be if teh world started fawning over JWs. As for tenacity with biblical truths, please let us objectively tell ourselves, who does the authoritities recognize as law abiding and tax paying, who supports G.AY marriages and same sex marriages, who has consistently refused to go to wars to kill others, who has depicted the love that Jesus said his followers will be known for? Which religion stood aside during the HUTU killings and even took in HUTUS/TUTSIs, there are a plethora of evidences on all of these and more ALL supported by the Bible, let those who have ears listen and those with eyes should see. Bottom line? as a free moral agent, use your discretion after comparing teachings, sources and empirical evidence on virtually everything seen and written. But do not forget, the fear of man is what brings a snare, do not fear what the world will say, they said and did all those to Jesus, they would do more to those serving him. QED.
Re: Will I Be Making A Mistake By Becoming A Jehovah's Witness? by hardbody: 6:31pm On Nov 09, 2011
Just some of the things we are talking about here https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-797378.0.html#msg9488695
Re: Will I Be Making A Mistake By Becoming A Jehovah's Witness? by jaibang(m): 7:00pm On Nov 09, 2011
you will be making the best decision ever in your life to join them and thus know the truth and be set free. their religion is simply wonderful
Re: Will I Be Making A Mistake By Becoming A Jehovah's Witness? by Nobody: 7:32pm On Nov 09, 2011
The more I study religions, the more i am convinced there is no God.
If you study religions wisely, you will become an atheist.
atheists are those who have studied religions, theists are those who practice religions.
whether you chose to join them or not, something about every religion must bring dozens of question to your mind, the more you discover true answers to those questions, the more you question the religion, the more you question religions, the more atheism makes sense.
Re: Will I Be Making A Mistake By Becoming A Jehovah's Witness? by JahMan1: 7:49pm On Nov 09, 2011
Anyone arguing about JW has so much time to waste.
I did that as an undergraduate and they'll never accept defeat.
Sure a 5-year old knowing the bible better? Ofcourse even their elders use the same trick provided in their special bible version to shine.For every controversial verse of the scriptures,the footnote points them to the next place to read.LWKMD! I remembered one of the last arguments I had with them way back in univ,after we read any portion(be it on trinity,heaven,divinity of Jesus,holy communion,hell,rapture,etc),I will be the one to tell them where next to open cos I have used their bible alot.

Such arguments won't benefit anyone.The OP needs to be closer to God and I love 'shushu's' comments.For now let our advice stick to how to help him get closer to God.
When it's time to argue if JWs are even christians,we can stick on such topics.

@OP take shushu's advice.If you choose to join any church, Anglican,Catholic,RCCG,Winners,Assemblies,Deeper Life,etc.Please stick to the Berean style as advised by someone.Go back and study the scriptures for whatever you are taught in the church to ascertain how true they are.
I wish you God's grace.
Re: Will I Be Making A Mistake By Becoming A Jehovah's Witness? by folaski: 8:35pm On Nov 09, 2011
@ shushu: you haven spoken well.
Re: Will I Be Making A Mistake By Becoming A Jehovah's Witness? by Nobody: 8:40pm On Nov 09, 2011
nothing is more boring than the visit of Jehovah's witness group, i use to lock my door and pretend am not at home until they have left. very funny indeed,
Re: Will I Be Making A Mistake By Becoming A Jehovah's Witness? by quest55(m): 9:09pm On Nov 09, 2011
folaski:

@ shushu: you haven spoken well.
the same xtian who 'lock the door' is busy watching pornography with doors and windows locked!
Re: Will I Be Making A Mistake By Becoming A Jehovah's Witness? by Lenny5000(m): 9:21pm On Nov 09, 2011
@freecocoa
First you must understand that JW are very nice people that are well versed in their scripture. I too was like you so many year ago and wanted to join them because they preach what you can understand and they teach very well so before join I took my time and researched them. Using GOOGLE I traced their history from their founder, etc. At the end though I like, admire and respect them but I could not join them because. They re-wrote the BIBLE (New Wold Translation) to suit their doctrines. The reason they are not accepted is because they are not viewed as Christians. They don't believe in basic Christian Truths like
1. Trinity (Father, Son, Holy Ghost)
2. Holy Ghost is not a person to them, but an Active Force
3. Jesus Christ is a created begin

The list goes on. So if you must join them, then you must give up your own Bible and use NEW WORLD TRANSLATION and once you Google how and who translated their version it tells you a lot about JW, Another thing about them is their constantly predicting the end of the world and getting it wrong. They have so many of these lil things going and that is while they are not accepted as Christians, But like I said they are very nice people that wont go about stealing peoples money like most Pastors do today and they are very well versed in their Scripture,  May God direct you to the right part. Bless you.

You can find out More researched info about JW here, http://carm.org/jehovahs-witnesses

Excerpts
In the late 1800's, a young man of 18 years, by the name of Charles Taze Russell, organized a Bible class in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.  In 1879 he sought to popularize his ideas on doctrine so he co-published The Herald of the Morning magazine with its founder, N. H. Barbour and by 1884 Russell controlled the publication and renamed it The Watchtower Announcing Jehovah's Kingdom, and founded Zion's Watch Tower Tract Society (now known as the Watch Tower Bible and Tract Society).  Russell served as the teacher and guide for the organization which taught that Jesus returned invisibly in 1914 and is now reigning in heaven.  When Jesus finally returns physically to earth, which will happen at the time of the Battle of Armageddon, He will set up his earthly 1000 year kingdom.
Re: Will I Be Making A Mistake By Becoming A Jehovah's Witness? by quest55(m): 9:39pm On Nov 09, 2011
My point is GOD will not commune with anyone found fighting his annointed ones. If u want to live an austere life choose DEEPER LIFE. If you want inculturatiön choose CATHOLIC or ISLAM. If your fancy is innovations and trendy methods choose the pentecostals aka bible bel churches eg "church of God mission", "church of pentecost" etc. If you want to follow the crowd or you want a christian business angle join RCCG and if you wish to follow 1st century xtian tradition join the Jehovah's Witnesses. If you are drawn to xtian science seek the GRAIL MESSAGE. But if you join a church where bible research is not taken seriously, you'll simply crash out in less than 6 visits
Re: Will I Be Making A Mistake By Becoming A Jehovah's Witness? by shumno(f): 10:40pm On Nov 09, 2011
My advice, join a church that reads, preaches and believes the Bible, preaches more on salvation, its concern is more about your soul than your physical being. example of such churches are Evangelical church winning All( ECWA), Anglican, Baptist churches etc. Go for their Bible study weekly programmes and you will see the difference.
Re: Will I Be Making A Mistake By Becoming A Jehovah's Witness? by quest55(m): 12:03am On Nov 10, 2011
Lenny5000:

@freecocoa
First you must understand that JW are very nice people that are well versed in their scripture. I too was like you so many year ago and wanted to join them because they preach what you can understand and they teach very well so before join I took my time and researched them. Using GOOGLE I traced their history from their founder, etc. At the end though I like, admire and respect them but I could not join them because. They re-wrote the BIBLE (New Wold Translation) to suit their doctrines. The reason they are not accepted is because they are not viewed as Christians. They don't believe in basic Christian Truths like
1. Trinity (Father, Son, Holy Ghost)
2. Holy Ghost is not a person to them, but an Active Force
3. Jesus Christ is a created begin

The list goes on. So if you must join them, then you must give up your own Bible and use NEW WORLD TRANSLATION and once you Google how and who translated their version it tells you a lot about JW, Another thing about them is their constantly predicting the end of the world and getting it wrong. They have so many of these lil things going and that is while they are not accepted as Christians, But like I said they are very nice people that wont go about stealing peoples money like most Pastors do today and they are very well versed in their Scripture,  May God direct you to the right part. Bless you.

You can find out More researched info about JW here, http://carm.org/jehovahs-witnesses

Excerpts
In the late 1800's, a young man of 18 years, by the name of Charles Taze Russell, organized a Bible class in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.  In 1879 he sought to popularize his ideas on doctrine so he co-published The Herald of the Morning magazine with its founder, N. H. Barbour and by 1884 Russell controlled the publication and renamed it The Watchtower Announcing Jehovah's Kingdom, and founded Zion's Watch Tower Tract Society (now known as the Watch Tower Bible and Tract Society).  Russell served as the teacher and guide for the organization which taught that Jesus returned invisibly in 1914 and is now reigning in heaven.  When Jesus finally returns physically to earth, which will happen at the time of the Battle of Armageddon, He will set up his earthly 1000 year kingdom.

My Final Submission Part 1:
JWs got majority of the prophecies correctly. They documented the aspect of 1914 prophecy that they missed. The website you cited contains half truths and lies.
There are 7 major websites singing the same tune of lies and hatred.
Everyone should be suspicious of your arguements since you failed to quote from JWs sources.

Different events in 1918, 1919, 1920-1935, 1970-1986 caused the body to flush out some who although annointed wanted to smuggle new doctrines.

Since 1996 I have done internet research (Israel) and found that the same half truths has replicated on the internet, repeating the same RUBBISH.

A whole Dr. RUEBEN ABATI once relied on such internet junk and was apparently disappointed.

NEVER BELIEVE EVERYTHING ON THE INTERNET!
Re: Will I Be Making A Mistake By Becoming A Jehovah's Witness? by steveregs1: 4:42am On Nov 10, 2011
Kabassa, Jesus is not 'one' of the chief angels. He is not even an angel. However, I agree with the rest of your first writing. Also, to the originator of this thread, you do not try to understand the Bible with your human understanding. That is why you have to ask the Holy Spirit to guide you each time you read the Bible. Secondly, you should avoid listening to false doctrine and ask the Holy Spirit to guide your heart to know what is right and the spoken Word of God, so you do not get carried away by false doctrine as the Bible has warned. These are the last days. I won't decide for you. Just pray to the Holy Spirit and let Him guide your decisions. smiley
Re: Will I Be Making A Mistake By Becoming A Jehovah's Witness? by TrueSeeker(m): 12:27pm On Nov 10, 2011
MyJoe:

Quote from: olaolaking
But Jehovah witnesses see it as a must for them to do as responce to Jesus order (go from house to house and teach people). What other way can a religion show that it is no part of the world. Jesu said it too. For the issue of TRINITY, HELL etc. Ask them about it and they will support whatever they say with bible. They will buttress thier ponits with bible qutations with references. But ask other religious group why they beleve in trinity and they will not be able to explain using bible.
Bolded is a direct lie which you can’t support “with Bible quotations and references”. Nowhere did Jesus ask anyone to preach from house to house, is there?

MyJoe, though I always admire your responses on this forum, I have no choice but to differ with you on this your assertion that Jesus did not ask anyone to preach from house to house. In light of the scriptures sighted below I am more than convince that house to house preaching is a form of teaching that Jesus commanded to his disciples and that the early Christians admonished that way of Jesus teaching.

(Matthew 28:18-20) . . ,  19 Go therefore and make disciples of people [/b]of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the holy spirit, 20 teaching them to observe all the things I have commanded YOU. And, look! I am with YOU all the days until the conclusion of the system of things,  . .

Jesus commanded his disciples to preach

(Luke 8:1) 8 Shortly afterwards he went journeying from city to city and from village to village, preaching and declaring the good news of the kingdom of God,  . .
Jesus himself did the preaching work

(Luke 10:4-6) . . ,  5 Wherever YOU [b]enter into a house
say first, ‘May this house have peace.’ 6 And if a friend of peace is there, YOUR peace will rest upon him,  . .
Jesus gave instructions to his disciples on how they will do the preaching work

(Matthew 10:12-14) 12 When YOU are entering into the house, greet the household; 13 and if the house is deserving, let the peace YOU wish it come upon it; but if it is not deserving, let the peace from YOU return upon YOU. 14 Wherever anyone does not take YOU in or listen to YOUR words, on going out of that house or that city shake the dust off YOUR feet. . .

(Acts 5:41-42) 41 These, therefore, went their way from before the San′he•drin, rejoicing because they had been counted worthy to be dishonored in behalf of his name. 42 And every day in the temple and from house to house they continued without letup teaching and declaring the good news about the Christ, Jesus.
Jesus disciples preached without letup from house to house

(Acts 20:20) 20 while I did not hold back from telling YOU any of the things that were profitable nor from teaching YOU publicly and[b] from house to house[/b].
Paul did not hold back from teaching from house to house

(1 Peter 2:9) . . .But YOU are “a chosen race, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a people for special possession, that YOU should declare abroad the excellencies” of the one that called YOU out of darkness into his wonderful light. . .
Christian were called to declare the excellencies of God
(1 Peter 2:21) 21 In fact, to this [course] YOU were called, because even Christ suffered for YOU, leaving YOU a model for YOU to follow his steps closely.

Jesus did the preaching, his disciples were under obligation to do same.
Re: Will I Be Making A Mistake By Becoming A Jehovah's Witness? by TrueSeeker(m): 12:29pm On Nov 10, 2011
grin wink

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

What Practice Do You Hate In A Particular Church? / Nigerian Top 100 Pastors / The Evil Apple: Did Adam And Eve Really Eat An Apple?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 204
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.